PDA

View Full Version : I truly believe in our D

Toronto Sooner
12/26/2008, 03:57 AM
It frustrates me to see our D get so disrespected by the media. They say they are experts yet I don’t think most of them actually do their homework (before mouthing off), especially the ones on ESPN. It is clear to many of us that follow the Sooners closely that our D has improved dramatically since the Texas game. Below is an analysis I had posted prior to the Texas Tech game. I am only posting it again to make my point (and not trying to be arrogant or anything like that). My point is that the Tech and Missouri games were not flukes. It was clear that our D has been improving ever since the Kansas game. There were still pockets of breakdowns within each game (that could be remedied over time), but you could see definite improvements with each game. I often wonder what kind of analytical training they provide to these so-called experts, especially at ESPN.

Our D is still far from being perfect, but I truly believe in our 2008 players and coaches, and appreciate their hard work and dedication to trying to bring us a 2008 National Championship trophy.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2481120#post2481120

Posted on Nov. 10’08:

“I liked Box a lot. Also, I thought Frank Alexander was awesome. I don't believe his tackle stats were high, but it seems as if he was disruptive on almost every play. I've always thought the talent of our top D-line players (Beal, McCoy, Granger, English) were A grade (NFL type) talent. They have done well this season, but each game I've walked away feeling they have underachieved, relative to their potential. They always get pressure on the quarterbacks, but they seem to have problems wrapping up (tackling). I think it might have a lot to do with Big 12 quarterbacks, and their abilities to scramble (they just out run the big D-line guys enough), and then hit the short guy for first down. It's frustrating as heck to watch. Well, against A&M, I didn't feel that way. The D-line was incredible on almost every play. It was amazing to watch. However, I think the entire Defence contributed to that success. Here were some of the keys (IMO):

*I think Frank has brought a lot of energy to the D-line, and the other guys are feeding off of it (nothing against Austin, as I think Austin is a great too, and probably still gets double teamed a lot).

*Development of Box at MLB (fewer opportunities for easy qb dump off in the middle, the way Colt McCoy killed us after RR was injured)

*Improving play by safeties and db's - better down field coverage means fewer targets for opposing qb's

*With each passing game linebackers and safeties are increasing the viciousness of the punishment to opposing players (Travis, Keenan, Box, Nic, Lendy) - it's either knocking balls loose or making the receivers hear footsteps

*Players are getting more familiar with system (especially positioning), as well as players taking the past defensive failures personally (with pride and hard work now starting to show)

*I think Venables was more aggressive against A&M. He didn't lay back as much, and give up the easy underneath stuff (albeit the A&M qb was not as accomplished as some qb's we have faced). It seemed like he clogged the middle, with heavy focus on aggressive containment (they pounced on anyone that crossed the line) - excellent execution on gap assignments

Clearly, our defense is still no where near Oklahoma standards, but I think it is improving significantly each week (based on the points I have highlighted). As such, I think our defense will step up against Texas Tech. We will not completely stop Tech, but I think we will limit them quite a bit. I think a combination of our D-line moving their qb out of his comfort zone, coupled with our linebackers and safeties clogging up the short passing areas (which is Tech's bread and butter), and our db's continuing to get better, will lead to a solid performance.”

Leroy Lizard
12/26/2008, 04:37 AM
Our D doesn't get any respect because it allowed Texas two drives when it needed to hold. And from that time on, opponents have put up a lot of yards and points. Normally, we could say it has performed well enough, but it now faces a top-flight offense, and many just don't think it can keep Florida from scoring at will, especially considering our weakness at MLB.

This D is weaker than last year's, and we know what happened to it in the Fiesta Bowl.

Our D has performed well AT TIMES, but it will turn Tebow into another folk legend.