PDA

View Full Version : The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button

KC//CRIMSON
12/25/2008, 09:27 PM
Introspective. Really good, solid movie, but good gawd was that a long flick. Damn near three hours. David Fincher has done an incredible job once again and this flick will probably win a ton of makeup and special effect awards.

Brad Pitt was good, Cate Blanchet was great. And for some reason unknown to me, Tilda Swinton just does "it" for me. I've always been attracted to women who look "different" and she is certainly in that category. Tall as a Redwood tree, subtle, and yet striking.

Go see it if you've got three hours to blow.:cool:

GottaHavePride
12/25/2008, 10:31 PM
Good - I've been looking forwad to this one and The Spirit.

And, to a lesser extent, Valkyrie. I'd like that one better if anyone in the freakin' movie could do a German accent.

King Crimson
12/25/2008, 10:41 PM
i can't wait til all my dreams come true and get drop-kicked in the head by Eva Mendes wearing black leather.

Okla-homey
12/25/2008, 11:40 PM
Introspective. Really good, solid movie, but good gawd was that a long flick. Damn near three hours. David Fincher has done an incredible job once again and this flick will probably win a ton of makeup and special effect awards.

Brad Pitt was good, Cate Blanchet was great. And for some reason unknown to me, Tilda Swinton just does "it" for me. I've always been attracted to women who look "different" and she is certainly in that category. Tall as a Redwood tree, subtle, and yet striking.

Go see it if you've got three hours to blow.:cool:

I agree. Very good film. It drug a bit at about the 4/5ths part, but picked-up there at the end. I remarked to my family, this may be this generation's Forrest Gump. Similar plotline and some of the same twists and turns. IMHO.

FWIW, Tilda plays for the other team. Or so I've read.

tbl
12/26/2008, 12:10 AM
I'll probably go see this tomorrow at a matinee. I was thinking of Gump when I saw the previews, so I'm glad that comparison was drawn.

tbl
12/26/2008, 12:12 AM
And for some reason unknown to me, Tilda Swinton just does "it" for me. I've always been attracted to women who look "different" and she is certainly in that category. Tall as a Redwood tree, subtle, and yet striking.

She's very attractive in the Narnia films. I know she's an evil witch, but when she rolls over that hill in a polar bear drawn chariot wearing a yak pelt around her neck, there's something very attractive about her. Seriously...

Okla-homey
12/26/2008, 12:14 AM
I'll probably go see this tomorrow at a matinee. I was thinking of Gump when I saw the previews, so I'm glad that comparison was drawn.

Daisy = Jenny

King Crimson
12/26/2008, 12:15 AM
she doesn't turn me on, but the "corporate mirror rehearsal scenes" in MIchael Clayton were really good.

LosAngelesSooner
12/26/2008, 02:45 AM
I enjoyed it a lot. A little contrived at times, and the protagonist could/should have been more pro-active, but I still was able to put my "industry writer" hat up on the shelf and enjoy the film.

Worth the money. :)

Okla-homey
12/26/2008, 11:24 AM
Mrs Homey just read in the Tulsa World that Eric Roth, who won an Oscar for the Forrest Gump screenplay, wrote the screenplay for Benjamin Button too.:D

sooneron
1/4/2009, 12:13 AM
Saw it tonight. It's worth seeing, well acted, well shot, not TOO predictable, nice prod design and make up. Pitt is good in an understated way. Blanchette is Blanchette - very good.

SoonerStormchaser
1/4/2009, 01:03 AM
And for some reason unknown to me, Tilda Swinton just does "it" for me. I've always been attracted to women who look "different" and she is certainly in that category. Tall as a Redwood tree, subtle, and yet striking.

That is where you and I differ. I think she's a great actress (she played the White Witch PERFECTLY in the Narnia film)...but she's about as homely as a woman can get without being Grace Jones.

In fact, compared to Tilda Swinton...my wife is a Greek Goddess (and she's awfully damned hawt to begin with).

That said...the movie was really good. The hawt wife and I saw it last week.

47straight
1/4/2009, 10:35 AM
Didn't like it. Overall, and especially early, Pitt was fun to watch. However I didn't buy the relationships or the motivations of the character. It was too, "Here be turning point in script so I do X out of the blue."

Lott's Bandana
1/4/2009, 11:22 AM
I liked it and recommend it.

I am a stickler for realism but I can forego that if the main point is entertainment...for instance, I love Hunt for Red October, yet not much of my submarine duty was very similar (not that I can tell you anyway :P). It was entertainment and didn't take itself seriously like the ridiculous Crimson Tide.

Anyway, I thought the cinematography was beautiful, the makeup first-rate and Kate Blanchett was breathtaking at any age.

Didn't seem like 2:48 to me...that's a dayum good thing although I placed myself on the aisle in the Warren Grand Auditorium so I could sneak head-calls. Glad I did.

Tilda looked mannish and alluring at the same time. Should I start worrying about that observation?

KC//CRIMSON
1/4/2009, 05:22 PM
That is where you and I differ. I think she's a great actress (she played the White Witch PERFECTLY in the Narnia film)...but she's about as homely as a woman can get without being Grace Jones.

In fact, compared to Tilda Swinton...my wife is a Greek Goddess (and she's awfully damned hawt to begin with).

Your wife doesn't do "it" for me. This is where you and I differ.

Jimminy Crimson
1/4/2009, 05:33 PM
Good movie, but the whole time I was thinking 'I've seen this before.'

A mix of The Notebook, Big Fish, and Forrest Gump.

sooneron
1/4/2009, 08:42 PM
It was Gump with more of a soul.

The similarities were definitely telling. That writer is a one trick pony. I found the whole travelling the earth later on too much like the running across the USA from Gump, at that point during Gump, I realized I just didn't care any more. I at least found some empathy in TCCoBB.

SoonerJack
1/6/2009, 09:21 AM

SSC, we get it. You think you're wife's "hawt." No need to belabor the point at

every

single

mention.:rolleyes:

SoonerStormchaser
1/6/2009, 11:34 AM
Your wife doesn't do "it" for me. This is where you and I differ.

I know...and it makes me :D

SSC, we get it. You think you're wife's "hawt." No need to belabor the point at

every

single

mention.

Yes I do...cause y'all need a reminder that...age is just a freaking number...;)

IB4OU2
1/6/2009, 01:47 PM
That was one ugly baby...

Oh and my wife's hot too. :D

yermom
5/7/2009, 04:07 PM
Tilda Swinton's non-hotness aside, i really liked this flick. i shouldn't have waited for the Blu-ray

i didn't know the screenplay was by the same guy as Forrest Gump, but i definitely got a Gump feeling out of it

tbl
5/9/2009, 07:44 AM
I don't like movies that get in my head this much. I was left with an uneasy feeling last night and I woke up this morning thinking about it. For whatever reason, it really messed with my head. Very unsettling...

Rogue
5/10/2009, 09:23 PM
I was about ready to see it...despite the odd-lookingness of Tilda S.
Then tbl posted that and I don't need anything leaving me with uneasiness right now.

yermom
5/11/2009, 12:34 AM
it pretty much had the opposite effect on me. strange.

SoonerStormchaser
5/11/2009, 12:36 AM
it pretty much had the opposite effect on me. strange.

So, that means that Tilda Swinton turned you on? :confused: :eek:

yermom
5/11/2009, 12:40 AM
the movie, not Tilda Plain and Tall

picasso
6/28/2009, 09:12 PM
good flick.

sooneron
6/29/2009, 10:57 AM
I don't like movies that get in my head this much. I was left with an uneasy feeling last night and I woke up this morning thinking about it. For whatever reason, it really messed with my head. Very unsettling...
I'm the opposite. If I'm still thinking about a movie days later in a way that makes me uneasy or thinking about the what if... I find that to be a mark of a good movie.

KC//CRIMSON
6/29/2009, 11:07 AM
I'm the opposite. If I'm still thinking about a movie days later in a way that makes me uneasy or thinking about the what if... I find that to be a mark of a good movie.

Agree. You haven't lived until a David Lynch movie gets stuck in your head for days on end.

TMcGee86
6/29/2009, 11:25 AM
Meh.

I liked it I guess, but I thought the whole premise of the old lady reading the book on her deathbed was not only unnecessary, but annoying. I couldn't hear her half the time and when I could her voice seriously annoyed.

I realize that was probably the point, along with the foreboding hurricane, but I just felt these were cheap ways to instill emotion.

You easily could have cut out the first 30 mins, taken the death bed scenes out completely, and not lessened the story at all, imho.

I wanted more real emotion.