PDA

View Full Version : McFarland is a SOONER!!! People in Texas are the real cheaters!

SoonerShay
12/25/2008, 06:57 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/26/sports/ncaafootball/26recruit.html?pagewanted=1&ref=sports

This is a great article on the Recruitment of McFarland and it goes indepth. Texas might want to shut the hell up about cheating when they read this.

instigator
12/25/2008, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the post. Very interesting look in to the world of blue chip recruiting. I can't imagine how that is for these kids and their families. Sounds like we got a good kid though.

Rhino
12/25/2008, 07:34 PM
You begin to understand the toll the recruiting process takes on kids and their families, with articles like this.

Sounds like McFarland is a good kid with a solid family base.

Welcome Jamarkus! Glad you're a Sooner!

delhalew
12/25/2008, 07:34 PM
You know, I am familiar with smoozing and bribery to acquire accounts and contracts in the world of sales and all aspects of life really. However, that is alot of pressure on a young man. Props to him for not being swayed into a situation that may not be best for him through being showered with money and ho's.

SoonerLB
12/25/2008, 07:45 PM
Good read, thanks for posting it!

sooner518
12/25/2008, 07:46 PM
I for one am shocked that LSU would be the trashiest of the trashy when it comes to recruiting.

IronSoonerMan
12/25/2008, 07:50 PM
I for one am shocked that LSU would be the trashiest of the trashy when it comes to recruiting.

+1!:D

Good post.

OUAlumni1990
12/25/2008, 08:00 PM
I've worked in Texas for 13 years. Its never been a problem landing a job there with my OU degree. Just an occasional razzing from other fans during football is all.

Damn those Texas cheaters...

SoonerNerd
12/25/2008, 08:01 PM
I can't lie, that Texas party does sound pretty awesome.

nytehorn
12/25/2008, 08:06 PM
Congrats. I think you got a great guy, that should be a major player. Seems like if a kid doesn't commit early, we move on to the next class, which is BS. (According to the article, "When Texas went to sleep, Oklahoma woke up.")

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/25/2008, 08:07 PM
I can't lie, that Texas party does sound pretty awesome.Yes, it's bigtime debauchery, but in celebration of yet another powerful performance by the TX refs.

KingDavid
12/25/2008, 08:11 PM
I posted this already on the recruiting side, but the conversation is over here . . . so . . .

Man. What a great Christmas gift is that!

Really proud to see the way Coach Shipp represented the Sooner Nation. Integrity. Hard work. Diligence. Consistency. Taking the high road.

Those things don't always result in victory in the recruiting game, but more often than not, they DO add up to success . . . especially when it's a recruit with the right sort of character.

Way to go, Coach Shipp!

And way to go, Jarmarkus McFarland! You've obviously figured out one of the truest maxims of a successful life: listen to your loving mother. There's nothing like a good woman to help you make a big-time life-shaping decision. When you have a woman like that in your life (hopefully you'll find a wife like her, too), there's pretty much only one occasion that you DON'T do what they say: when they're telling you NOT to do something that's good for them.

For instance, if God should see fit to bless you with an NFL career (we hope He does) and you get that first contract and you go to do something special for Mom . . . but she says that you shouldn't buy her that car or that home because "it's too much." Well, then, you know what to do, my man! Let her have it!

Congratulations, again! Thanks for the awesome Christmas gift. Keep your expectations as high as you can make them. For yourself. For the program. For your family!

Boomer Sooner!

KingDavid

P.S. Personally, I think I could have some respect the e-mail that Coach Brown sent to Ms. Adams about not wanting to divide the family; however, I think it was a bit presumptious and probably a little manipulative given the situation. I can see why Ms. Adams took offense at it, too - as it was likely hinting that Ms. Adams was standing between her son and something he wanted to do.

KingDavid
12/25/2008, 08:14 PM
(Also posted the following on the McFarland thread in the Recruiting forum. Kind of feeling bad about it given that it's Christmas and all. Maybe this was bad form for me to do; however, given the trashing they were doing to the McFarland family and the OU program (which turned out to be incredibly hypocritical, as we expecte) . . . and given the fact that they shut down the commentary on the original BS post about our cheating . . . I guess I feel OK about it.)

I hope the Horns enjoy my comment (3rd one Down) on their Twelve Days of Christmas thread at barking carnival. (http://www.barkingcarnival.com/trips-right/texas-basketball-twelve-days-of-christmas#comment-32222)

OU-HSV
12/25/2008, 08:23 PM
This is most impressive...Stoops went balls to the walls for this kid:

On Dec. 17, Stoops and Shipp visited McFarland on behalf of Oklahoma. They flew on a private plane that Sooners and Longhorns fans anxiously tracked on the Internet.

While at McFarland’s house, Stoops offered to set the table for dinner and helped carry in ribs and potato salad. After a second serving of ribs and some peach cobbler, he sat on the couch with McFarland and his grandmother and watched the movie “Beauty Shop,” starring Queen Latifah and Alicia Silverstone.

Stoops occasionally chuckled while watching the film before talking to McFarland about Oklahoma. He dismissed talk that McFarland would not be able to get a job in Texas with an Oklahoma degree.

When Stoops’s departing flight from Lufkin was delayed by more than two hours, there was rampant Internet speculation that McFarland had committed and that Stoops had stayed late to celebrate.

KingDavid
12/25/2008, 08:25 PM
CK Sooner, I'm thinking about retracting my nomination over there on the recruiting. However, I will probably put you up for The 2008 Fastest Re-post In Order to Get Credit Award.:D

I mean, come on. You re-posted this link within seconds!

If Green Spek were a limited resource around here, I might take you to small claims court.;)

adoniijahsooner
12/25/2008, 08:27 PM
this is classic and my new sig

“Whose house do you like better, Bob Stoops’s, Les Miles’s or mine?” Adams recalled Brown saying.

OU-HSV
12/25/2008, 08:29 PM

“Whose house do you like better, Bob Stoops’s, Les Miles’s or mine?” Adams recalled Brown saying.

Someone ought to use it if you dont

OUAlumni1990
12/25/2008, 08:29 PM
Yes, it's bigtime debauchery, but in celebration of yet another powerful performance by the TX refs.

I'll bet the refs were at the party.

XFollower
12/25/2008, 08:44 PM
Sounds like a class act, evaluating all the temptations and choosing what is best for his future.

sooneredaco
12/25/2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the post..... Looks like we got a big time kid with an incredible upside. One of the things I really got from this is just how solid our coaching staff as a whole is. Major props to coach Shipp and Stoops!

Boomer Sooner

adoniijahsooner
12/25/2008, 09:28 PM
I see now why we lose out on certain recruits; because we will not lower ourselves in order to bring them to OU (Brown Brothers).

sooner518
12/25/2008, 09:34 PM
His mom seems to take alot of things the wrong way. if the situation were reversed, we'd be pissed at some of the things she is saying.

I wont complain too much, but I was just a bit confused by some of her comments.

kbsooner
12/25/2008, 09:36 PM
(Also posted the following on the McFarland thread in the Recruiting forum. Kind of feeling bad about it given that it's Christmas and all. Maybe this was bad form for me to do; however, given the trashing they were doing to the McFarland family and the OU program (which turned out to be incredibly hypocritical, as we expecte) . . . and given the fact that they shut down the commentary on the original BS post about our cheating . . . I guess I feel OK about it.)

I hope the Horns enjoy my comment (3rd one Down) on their Twelve Days of Christmas thread at barking carnival. (http://www.barkingcarnival.com/trips-right/texas-basketball-twelve-days-of-christmas#comment-32222)

KingDavid,

I am behind you 100% on the whorn site over there. I find it incredible they can post trash like that and hide behind the keyboard. I'll beat this dead horse until he either gives up this incredible inside info or basically admits he has nothing at all.

CK Sooner
12/25/2008, 09:40 PM
CK Sooner, I'm thinking about retracting my nomination over there on the recruiting. However, I will probably put you up for The 2008 Fastest Re-post In Order to Get Credit Award.:D

I mean, come on. You re-posted this link within seconds!

If Green Spek were a limited resource around here, I might take you to small claims court.;)

****, i'll take it.

:D

adoniijahsooner
12/25/2008, 10:18 PM
His mom seems to take alot of things the wrong way. if the situation were reversed, we'd be pissed at some of the things she is saying.

I wont complain too much, but I was just a bit confused by some of her comments.

Coming from that sort of culture, which is primarily Matriarchal, you do not get in the way of a mama and her "baby", period. There is different set of rules that go into how you talk to people in that culture, and Mack should of just kept JM and his mother separate, and not speak on their relationship, even if he meant it in a good way. Less is more when it comes to family.:mad:

SoonerBoognish
12/25/2008, 10:45 PM
How many good things could possibly happen at the expense of the Horns in one year? Big 12 championship, Heisman, now this, all with the icing of Horn tears. Did Mack make a deal to win that game and get tricked with some riddle that doomed him for the rest of the year? Funny.

Crimson Kid
12/25/2008, 10:58 PM
How many good things could possibly happen at the expense of the Horns in one year? Big 12 championship, Heisman, now this, all with the icing of Horn tears. Did Mack make a deal to win that game and get tricked with some riddle that doomed him for the rest of the year? Funny.

If OU can just win the MNC, then im going to eat my cake.

Man i'm hungry.

soonermeteor
12/25/2008, 10:58 PM
Great points on why some people hate UT and Austin. It's the mere fact they think they are better than everyone else. I'm not going to argue that Norman has a better "scene" than Austin, I'm not stupid. However, I'd rather spend my 4 years in Norman than deal with their pretentious self centered attitudes. I may not have as much to do here, but I couldn't stand living around those people.

kbsooner
12/25/2008, 10:59 PM
http://www.barkingcarnival.com/trips-right/new-york-times-texas-hit-piece-regarding-mcfarland#comment-32247

It has just stooped to absolutely ridiculous over in Longhorn land.

SoonerBacker
12/25/2008, 11:06 PM
I have to give some props to his mama. Ms Adams has obviously instilled, and is still attempting to instill, a solid moral foundation for her son. She took the time to compare pros and cons of the universities her son was attending and tried to counter some of the debauchery that was going on around her son.

Overall, a great read, and it sounds like a fantastic recruit for the Sooners.

sooner518
12/25/2008, 11:11 PM
Ummm. He was a guest of ou. He wasn’t at any Texas parties. That’s a fact.

I guess JM just got confused about which party he was at....... that's TripsRight's defense? really?

josh09
12/25/2008, 11:13 PM
This is classic. It finally exposes the University of Texas and their recruiting. I mean, i know we have the same types of parties like that at OU, but at least we're smart enough to not show the recruits. And if im not mistaken, didnt the same thing happen with AD? Like where he wasnt allowed to talk to Mack, but when he visited OU he was graciously welcomed by Bob Stoops himself?

Widescreen
12/25/2008, 11:14 PM
The sad thing is that a lot of the things that turned McFarland off are the very things that would attract a lot of players to Texas. It all comes down to how a kid was raised and what their values are.

oupride
12/25/2008, 11:15 PM
thanks for the post

Jacie
12/25/2008, 11:54 PM
The UTe*icans are doing their darndest to make me think they are completely clueless, classless, nose-picking, wife-beating, dog-kicking, scum-of-the-earth slugs, who lack the ability to respect even themselves and to hell with the rest of the world.

Here are some quotes from OUr counterparts (and it pains me to refer to them in any context that denotes a measure of equality atwixt us and them) at hornfans.com:

longhorn5005
100+ posts
12/25/08 06:45 PM
Re: NY Times on McFarland recruitment [re: NMGaucho]

at least the mom says she doesn't think the coaches knew of all the illegal stuff offered.... but only Texas backers were offering.... i dunno about that

Certainly, if anyone's random speculations should be given credence, longhorn5005's should . . .

Theo Huxtable
1000+ posts
12/25/08 07:00 PM

In reply to:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uh yea, that really sounds like Mack Brown to say something like that. All credibility lost after that quote right there.

Secondly, the thought of attending OU for anything even remotely resembling a decent academic education is beyond laughable.

We're not full of ourselves, are we, Theo . . .

UT Spring Branch
500+ posts
12/25/08 08:19 PM

The loser that wrote that article played college basketball at Oklahoma Wesleyan University, an NAIA school in Bartlesville, Okla.

He is an OKIE

And, no doubt, part of Stoop's extensive network of agents cleverly placed throughout the media who spread disinformation to discredit the University of Te*as

bornalonghorn84
100+ posts
12/25/08 08:29 PM
Re: NY Times on McFarland recruitment [re: ReaganHorn]

Let that family of *** clowns go to school under the big crimson tent north of the red river!

Total class post from born horny, who was playing with himself at the thought of this kid taking handoffs from Ponyboy McCoy before this article surfaced . . .

EJC+1
500+ posts
12/25/08 09:05 PM

Did I read that correctly?

McFarland was in tears because of the recruiting process/pressures?

He's a....defensive tackle...right? Crying...because he can't take the pressure?

Hell kid...lemme help you pack.

Another class post from a horn, showing nothing but a complete lack of empathy and respect for someone because he didn't choose to attend and play football for Te*as . . .

MirrOlure
5000+ posts
12/25/08 09:37 PM

I could see Mack Brown saying something like "each one of us is like a family and our school is like a house, so who's house do you like better".

But Kashmierena or what the f ever her name is was to f'n stupid to follow the analogy.

this guy scores double points, showing both lack of class with the insult of Mrs. Adams first name and then divining what Mack REALLY meant . . .

BoulderSooner79
12/26/2008, 12:29 AM
I have to admit, there was nothing in that article that made me think UT did anything out of the ordinary or underhanded. I'm assuming that the Dallas party was indeed thrown by horn supporters and not associated with the program. It just sounded like Shipp struck a cord with the family at the right time; I'm sure it goes the other way just as often. But the article is very eye opening as to what top players encounter during the recruiting process. That Dallas party and the LA party made me understand why we see so many reports of "players suspended for violating unspecified team rules".

Anyway, Welcome DeMarcus McFarland!! You will not regret your decision.

More_Cowbell
12/26/2008, 01:03 AM
I have to admit, there was nothing in that article that made me think UT did anything out of the ordinary or underhanded. I'm assuming that the Dallas party was indeed thrown by horn supporters and not associated with the program. It just sounded like Shipp struck a cord with the family at the right time; I'm sure it goes the other way just as often. But the article is very eye opening as to what top players encounter during the recruiting process. That Dallas party and the LA party made me understand why we see so many reports of "players suspended for violating unspecified team rules".

Anyway, Welcome Jamarkus McFarland!! You will not regret your decision.

BoulderSooner79
12/26/2008, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the fix. :O

walkoffsooner
12/26/2008, 01:48 AM
Who has the most yellow teeth me or Stoops.

Leroy Lizard
12/26/2008, 01:52 AM
Someone needs to clean up college football. This is getting insane. (Okay, I know it has been this way for a long time.)

Sooner51
12/26/2008, 02:00 AM
God bless Jackie Shipp. In the 1982 border clash with Texas, Shipp was a one-man wrecking crew with 23 tackles, an OU single-game record-Soonersports.

Crucifax Autumn
12/26/2008, 03:16 AM
Best recruiting story I've heard since the Switzer days.

hobbes2702
12/26/2008, 03:44 AM
I'd rather spend my 4 years in Norman than deal with their pretentious self centered attitudes.

You have obviously not spent much time in Austin if you think that people there are pretentious.

KingDavid
12/26/2008, 03:53 AM
You have obviously not spent much time in Austin if you think that people there are pretentious.

It's all relative. I've lived in Houston, Dallas, Norman, and Austin for at least 5 years each. In order of most pretentious to least:

1. Dallas
2. Houston
3. Austin
4. Norman

Norman is by far the least pretentious of the four.

That being said, I wouldn't characterize Austin as a pretentious city. On the whole, I'd say it's pretty laid back.

hobbes2702
12/26/2008, 04:03 AM
Obviously. You named three metropolitan areas and then Norman. What would you expect. Austin is about as casual of a city as you will find and very few people (frat guys excluded) take themselves too seriously.

OUAlumni1990
12/26/2008, 04:27 AM

Ummmm.......no. I know many t-sips personally, and they are without a doubt the most pretentious people I've ever met. Why do you think they are called 't-sips'? duh. They are definitely not the Ivy-league of public schools that they pretend be. And I have worked in depth with these people, I know.

Leroy Lizard
12/26/2008, 04:27 AM
Austin is the San Francisco of Texas.

OUAlumni1990
12/26/2008, 04:29 AM
Obviously. You named three metropolitan areas and then Norman. What would you expect. Austin is about as casual of a city as you will find and very few people (frat guys excluded) take themselves too seriously.

Casual, yes.

"very few people take themselves too seriously"...WRONG

OUAlumni1990
12/26/2008, 04:30 AM

We have a winner

SoonerBacker
12/26/2008, 09:13 AM
"UT Spring Branch
500+ posts
12/25/08 08:19 PM

The loser that wrote that article played college basketball at Oklahoma Wesleyan University, an NAIA school in Bartlesville, Okla.

He is an OKIE"

He wants to dismiss the article because it was written by "an Okie?" Funny, considering Darrell K. Royal was an Okie. They didn't seem to have a problem with naming their stadium for him.

Funky G
12/26/2008, 09:49 AM
The Longhorn faithful have already started the spin, story not true, because he chose OU they cheat too, etc. Their fan base is THE most delusional on Earth.

Leroy Lizard
12/26/2008, 11:29 AM
Actually, the Horns' comments are of the ilk: I can't imagine Coach ______ saying that, or doing that, so I don't believe it. As if they know these coaches personally.

What I find amazing is that they are willing to acknowledge that some boosters may have tried to induce McFarland to play using gifts. Of course, when that happens at OU...

Scott D
12/26/2008, 11:42 AM
Someone needs to clean up college football. This is getting insane. (Okay, I know it has been this way for a long time.)

sad part is, this is nothing compared to basketball recruiting where they can unofficially work on getting kids to verbal as early as 4th grade.

soonerfan28
12/26/2008, 11:51 AM
Sounds like he's trying to please everybody and I hope he stays with us until he signs. I hope OU is what he really wants.

SoonerBoognish
12/26/2008, 11:58 AM
Sounds like he's trying to please everybody and I hope he stays with us until he signs. I hope OU is what he really wants.

Seems to me that some of the comments made by various parties may have him sort of locked in place. I could be wrong, but after all that crap being said, it might be a little awkward to switch now.:texan:

Widescreen
12/26/2008, 12:23 PM
I'm glad that he's going to be a Sooner. Mama does sound a little on the emotional side - I hope it's not another Bobby Reid situation. Given that Shipp was recruiting him, apparently he feels good about the situation.

JLEW1818
12/26/2008, 12:27 PM
glad we got him, add another 5 star DT

Leroy Lizard
12/26/2008, 12:41 PM
Can someone tell me the difference between the "hostesses" described in that article and prostitutes?

Is this something schools should be doing?

SbOrOiNaEnR
12/26/2008, 12:54 PM
This is my favorite part of the article:

“There ain’t nothing to do at Oklahoma except football,” McFarland said.

Yeah, that's why we WIN CONSISTENTLY year-in and year-out, and don't wind up in the Holiday Bowl every other year.

SeattleOUstudent
12/26/2008, 01:24 PM
Nah, college football is just fine. Its the same as it always has been. Flashy cars, loose women, booze....thats what makes it college :)

Okie35
12/26/2008, 01:35 PM
I can't lie, that Texas party does sound pretty awesome.

it happens almost everywhere when it come to recruiting thats why im not shocked but im glad mcfarland is a sooner...

Scott D
12/26/2008, 02:03 PM
Can someone tell me the difference between the "hostesses" described in that article and prostitutes?

Is this something schools should be doing?

prostitutes actually get cash for whorish activities. hostesses just get financial aid.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/26/2008, 02:05 PM
prostitutes actually get cash for whorish activities. hostesses just get financial aid.

so a hostess is like an heiress?

Scott D
12/26/2008, 02:07 PM
only when it's attention whoring.

fadada1
12/26/2008, 02:10 PM
so a hostess is like an heiress?

i don't think paris hilton needs financial aid.

KingDavid
12/26/2008, 02:13 PM

heh.

Scott D
12/26/2008, 02:17 PM
i don't think paris hilton needs financial aid.

you don't think she's actually earning her whoring about dollars do you?

hobbes2702
12/26/2008, 05:45 PM
Ummmm.......no. I know many t-sips personally, and they are without a doubt the most pretentious people I've ever met. Why do you think they are called 't-sips'? duh. They are definitely not the Ivy-league of public schools that they pretend be. And I have worked in depth with these people, I know.

Seeing how I live in Austin and was raised in Austin and my mother and grandparents are from Norman and went to OU and my brother went to OU I think I know what Austin is like in comparison to Norman. And Austin is not pretentious and if you have lived there you would know that.

Curly Bill
12/26/2008, 05:53 PM
Seeing how I live in Austin and was raised in Austin and my mother and grandparents are from Norman and went to OU and my brother went to OU I think I know what Austin is like in comparison to Norman. And Austin is not pretentious and if you have lived there you would know that.

Of course not, how can a city be pretentious. Now the people that live there...that might be a different story.

Funky G
12/26/2008, 05:58 PM

Tell all the California transplants that....or who cares?

Jacie
12/26/2008, 06:40 PM

I take it you have never read the hate-filled venom that passes for posts over on hornfans.com. As those posters claim allegiance to one University of Te*as, it stands to reason that at least some of them live in or near Austin, TX. If they are typical of Austinites in general then the statement "Austin (or at least some percentage of the population thereof) is pretentious" is in whole or in part . . . true.

PDXsooner
12/26/2008, 07:32 PM
this is why i couldn't coach -- dealing with those kinds of parents and all that drama would be a royal pain in the as$!!!

Leroy Lizard
12/26/2008, 09:10 PM
For two million bucks a year, I could deal with it.

Piware
12/27/2008, 12:07 AM

That's great if you are a pot smokin' gay guy looking for a date.

Piware
12/27/2008, 12:11 AM
The Longhorn faithful have already started the spin, story not true, because he chose OU they cheat too, etc. Their fan base is THE most delusional on Earth.

Actually, the Pukes have their cheater meters working overtime too. They are certain the Texas, LA stories are true and will probably hire private eyes to see if they can dig up any dirt on OU.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/27/2008, 12:52 AM

I would like to know what good does it do a kid staying a dorm that his head coach has a nice house?

JLEW1818
12/27/2008, 01:47 AM
“Texas went to sleep in the summertime in recruiting J-Mac,” she said. “When they went to sleep, Oklahoma woke up.”

patzer
12/28/2008, 12:00 AM
It's obvious the poor kid's mom is running the show. He's just along for the ride. She's only going to tell the reporter things that make her decision look good. I won't believe Tx was involved in the foolish things she said ocurred just as I wouldn't believe the same against OU if mom had chosen Tx.

KingDavid
12/28/2008, 12:14 AM
Of course not, how can a city be pretentious. Now the people that live there...that might be a different story.

The cats in Austin are very hoity-toity, I hear. Extremely self-absorbed.

Crucifax Autumn
12/28/2008, 06:23 AM
I lived there for 8 years...

The guys that don't give a **** about football are allright...laid back and cool...

The whorns among them...?

a bunch of whiny pansies without a clue about what sportsmanship really is!

Austin is a great place other than that ****hole in the middle of the city.

G8trGr8t
12/28/2008, 09:49 AM
Is Thayer Evans a Oklahoma graduate?

Seems all his articles praise all that is OU.

Three important words that I wished I had learned much earlier in life. Qualify the source.

SoonerBacker
12/28/2008, 10:39 AM
Is Thayer Evans a Oklahoma graduate?

Seems all his articles praise all that is OU.

Three important words that I wished I had learned much earlier in life. Qualify the source.

"Thayer Evans
Thayer Evans is a freelance writer who has been contributing to The New York Times for more than two years. Evans also writes for the Houston Chronicle as well as other newspapers and magazines. He played college basketball at Oklahoma Wesleyan University, an NAIA school in Bartlesville, Okla."

Now, before one starts to discredit him because he played his college basketball in Bartlesville, I have to ask: If you do that, are you also going to discredit all of those articles written by folks who went to school in FL or TX that glorify the Whorns and/or Gators?

sortiz1965
12/28/2008, 01:08 PM
Interesting article on the recruiting battle between OU and Texas for the talents of five-star recruit Jamarkus McFarland. Goes to show you, when you're running your program correctly, good things are bound to happen. I found the contrast between the Texas and OU hosted parties particularly interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/26/sports/ncaafootball/26recruit.html?_r=4&pagewanted=all

Kels
12/28/2008, 01:11 PM
http://lancemannion.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/bluto_06b.jpg

GottaHavePride
12/28/2008, 01:21 PM
Did you miss SoonerShay's 81-reply thread that started on Christmas Day about this exact same article?

Heh.

sortiz1965
12/28/2008, 01:36 PM
Sorry about that...I wasn't exactly studying this forum on Christmas Day.:D

OU-HSV
12/28/2008, 01:40 PM
Did you miss SoonerShay's 81-reply thread that started on Christmas Day about this exact same article?

Heh.
Or even the 110 reply "Jarmarkus Mcfarland" thread in the recruiting forum, in which I think this same article was posted in it as well
Noobs :rolleyes: :D

Sooner98
12/28/2008, 02:10 PM
http://www.sandiegohistory.org/timeline/images/pearlharbornews.jpg

;)

boomersooner28
12/28/2008, 02:16 PM
Someone told me the sun was hot. Pft.

Blitzkrieg
12/28/2008, 02:17 PM
Why don't we have party favors and naked women at our parties? I mean, a little bolivian marching powder and a couple of $500 hookers aren't really going to bust our budget, it is really a pass through to the season ticket holders. Divided by 68 thousand doesn't amount to much! I mean, a couple of 8 balls, maybe some tabs of X, some nitrous -- none of that hard stuff, just the college experience. We are a top notch football school, it is time we stepped up to the plate! It isn't "happy days" out there anymore fonzy!

Had this kid been Cedric Benson or Ricky Williams, we'd have lost him! This was really an eye opener, a "canary in a coal mine" if you will. Embarassing!

josh09
12/28/2008, 02:18 PM
I know, we really dropped the ball on this one, I agree 100%. Pathetic.

SoonerLB
12/28/2008, 02:20 PM
Had he wanted that kind of life, then he should have gone to saxet or elsewhere.

Blitzkrieg
12/28/2008, 02:21 PM
So you are discriminating?

tommieharris91
12/28/2008, 02:27 PM
Had this kid been Cedric Benson or Ricky Williams, we'd have lost him! This was really an eye opener, a "canary in a coal mine" if you will. Embarassing!

You say this like it's a bad thing...

birddog
12/28/2008, 02:31 PM
sarcasm just doesn't carry over to teh innerwebs anymore.

a+, top-shelf effort.

WE NEED NEKKID WIMMENS AT OU!!

SbOrOiNaEnR
12/28/2008, 02:32 PM
God forbid we lose two potheads and a Career Appreciation Heisman. The most noteworthy thing Cedric's ever hoisted over his head is a TV set.

badger
12/28/2008, 02:38 PM
Just take the coach's opinion on: We'll win with or without any single recruit. Don't get down when we lose one to Texas, to USC, to LSU, to whoever. We'll get somebody else, and even if we don't, we'll still win.

Also, nothing's official until signing day, so please don't say anything that will come back and bite us in the butt if he signs to another school. Please? Pretty please?

SbOrOiNaEnR
12/28/2008, 02:48 PM
Just take the coach's opinion on: We'll win with or without any single recruit. Don't get down when we lose one to Texas, to USC, to LSU, to whoever. We'll get somebody else, and even if we don't, we'll still win.

You left off, "You can come to OU and win, or you can go down to Texas and get beat by OU that first Saturday in October."

It got Adrian Peterson's attention. ;)

badger
12/28/2008, 02:59 PM
You left off, "You can come to OU and win, or you can go down to Texas and get beat by OU that first Saturday in October."

It got Adrian Peterson's attention. ;)

No, no, no... we need a revised, more modern one to get their attention. You know, a more accurate one.

"You can come to OU and win, or you can go down to Texas and live off a single game in October for the rest of the season while OU takes the conference, the Heisman and the national championship."

SbOrOiNaEnR
12/28/2008, 03:08 PM
No, no, no... we need a revised, more modern one to get their attention. You know, a more accurate one.

How about, "When the playing field is level, and the teams are essentially equal in rankings/talent/coaching, even if OU loses in Dallas, you'll still get to, at the very least, win a Big 12 Championship. Only when there's a gross mismatch, and Texas fields its best team in decades, and OU has arguably the youngest, least developed and least talented team of the Stoops era, will you get that kind of glory at Texas."

If I was a recruit narrowing it down to those two schools, and Stoops pitched me that, I'd be whistling "Boomer Sooner" all the way back to the airport.

BoulderSooner79
12/28/2008, 03:09 PM

"You can come to OU and win, or you can go down to Texas and live off a single game in October for the rest of the season while OU takes the conference, the Heisman and the national championship."

Still need one more line.

"... and the rest of the nation will feel sorry for you."

ashley
12/28/2008, 03:10 PM
I have seen the kid play twice a year since his soph. year. As a soph I thought he was as good as I had ever seen. Since then he has looked ok but nothing special. All the coaches I talked to that have played against him or that have seen him on film have said the same thing.
I hope he turns out to be as good as advertised.

SoCal
12/28/2008, 07:28 PM
double post...sorry

SoCal
12/28/2008, 07:29 PM
Sorry if this has been posted

SAN ANTONIO – Lufkin, Texas, defensive tackle Jamarkus McFarland said parts of a class assignment referenced in a New York Times article detailing his recruitment were "spiced up," but the recruit and his mother stood by the remainder of the newspaper's story.JaMarkus McFarland and his mother stand behind many of the comments in a recent New York Times' story.
The Times documented McFarland's recruitment, culminating with a Christmas Day piece detailing his commitment to Oklahoma.

The Times article included inflammatory statements McFarland had written about the recruiting practices of Texas and LSU for a senior English class assignment.

McFarland said he embellished a passage taken from the English paper detailing free alcohol and drugs and topless women at a party of Texas fans in Dallas.

"Some things we knew were kind of mixed up because (the reporter) got a paper of mine," McFarland said. "The paper I wrote for an English class – it was spiced up a little bit for class. But a majority of it was correct.

"I could have said I just went to a party. For an English paper – I'm taking a college course – you've got to explain. It's brainstorming. If I knew he was getting it, I would have known what was right and what wasn't right."

McFarland declined to indicate what parts of his English paper were "spiced up," but reiterated no Texas players or coaches were at the party in Dallas.

He said he was not sure how the Times reporter obtained the English paper but suspected a family member had given it to him.

"I didn't know he had it," McFarland said, referring to Times reporter Thayer Evans. "He came to my house one time when I dropped LSU (from consideration) just to observe. I think he got it then."

A lavish party hosted by boosters, coaches or players during the recruitment of a prospect as McFarland described in his paper is forbidden by NCAA.

McFarland said neither he nor his mother have heard from the NCAA since the story was published. He said he has not spoken to Texas or LSU since the story ran.

McFarland's mother said she had nothing to lie about in the story.
Kashemeyia Adams, McFarland's mother, said she was quoted correctly in her criticism of Texas' recruitment of her son. Adams declined to correct or clarify any of her comments in the piece, standing by the comments.

"I don't have anything to add to it," Adams said. "We knew people wouldn't be happy. The truth is the truth. I have no reason to lie. I have nothing to change (about the story)."

Evans, a freelance reporter for the Times, covered McFarland's recruitment since early in the process.

"He's a good guy," McFarland said. "I'm glad I did it that way and no other way."

Evans did not immediately return repeated phone calls from Rivals.com on Sunday afternoon.

McFarland has had a difficult three days since the Times story was published. He said he received insulting messages on his Facebook page and by text message. Fans from Texas and LSU disparaged McFarland and his mother in blogs and message boards while Oklahoma has embraced them.

"I'm trying to get this to die down," McFarland said. "I don't want to say anything wrong about a school. I don't want to put that on my back."

SouthFortySooner
12/28/2008, 11:03 PM
I'm glad I use the "NEW YORK TIMES", but I'm trying to get this to die down. :confused:

kbsooner
12/29/2008, 10:31 AM
http://www.barkingcarnival.com/trips-right/jamarku-already-backtracking-on-his-story#comment-32705

For those interested. These guys make a living posting Horn rhetoric, its actually pretty fun to keep egging them on...

SoonerRecon
12/29/2008, 12:30 PM

i have lived in Austin for nearly ten years, and grew up in Tulsa. so when they sing happy birthday to me at my employer, and the women follow it up with 'OU sucks', would that be pretentious, arrogant, delusional, or envious?

picasso
12/29/2008, 02:27 PM
Great points on why some people hate UT and Austin. It's the mere fact they think they are better than everyone else. I'm not going to argue that Norman has a better "scene" than Austin, I'm not stupid. However, I'd rather spend my 4 years in Norman than deal with their pretentious self centered attitudes. I may not have as much to do here, but I couldn't stand living around those people.

wha? you mean people like those who sell t-shirts from a website that says: "Keep Norman Dumb."

You can keep Austin weird, and contrived.

Bitch.

picasso
12/29/2008, 03:38 PM

unless you're a UT type thumbing your nose at an Okie Sooner.

are you f'ing serious? I never in my life ever heard of school and state smack until I attended an OU/UT game. Talk about pathetic Horn alums in their button up starched dooshbag garb.

pftttt.

SoonerShark
12/29/2008, 07:36 PM
i have lived in Austin for nearly ten years, and grew up in Tulsa. so when they sing happy birthday to me at my employer, and the women follow it up with 'OU sucks', would that be pretentious, arrogant, delusional, or envious?

Bitchy?

SoonerShark
12/29/2008, 07:40 PM

In a town where the mascot is a bovine eunuch it is probably frustration.

I have one prescription for their frustration: Good Vibrations!....and not the Beach Boys kind.

SoonerShark
12/29/2008, 07:41 PM
Texas
Football
Basketball
No ball

SoonerShark
12/30/2008, 11:38 AM
People in Texas do not cheat. It is a way of life. Kind of like a dog licking its balls...or sniffing butts. It's a family tradition.

jdubb22bronco
12/30/2008, 12:16 PM
Im so glad we landed him, but I don't take much of what this guy writes seriously....