PDA

View Full Version : Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs

Toronto Sooner
12/25/2008, 12:22 PM
Tebow and his little runners kinda reminds me of Snow White and her little guys.

Calm down Gator posters, I'm just kidding around ;) :pop:

Seriously though, the Gator runners are very undersized. Demps, Rainey and Harvin are like around 5-8, 5-9 and 5-11, or something like that. I watched them run a little and I notice that they take a lot of little steps. It almost seems as if they have to take 2 or 3 steps to cover the same ground (as 1 step) of a regular sized running back. I don't think their legs are that little, but rather I think it's their style of running. It almost seems as if they prefer helter skelter type running, where their legs just go a mile a minute in order to fake out defenders.

That type of running does concern me a bit. My concern has more to do with the decipline of our defense, however, and not with the Florida players. We have the talent to stop anyone and any type of offense. Over the past 3 games, our defense completely shut down Crabtree and Maclin, and severely limited Bryant - 3 of the most talented skilled players in the country. The question is how decipline will our defense be with containment and gap assignments. Earlier in the year, our defense was very undeciplined at times, thus allowing holes in the defense to be exploited. However, our defense has been playing much more solid in recent games. Not only has gap assignments been strong, but there has been night and day improvement in tackling players. To be honest, it was strange to see a Bob Stoops coached team struggle so badly with tackling (at times earlier on).

I really like the way our defense has come along, and the level it is playing at right now. I also like the changes Venables has implemented. However, it will come down to the players. If our players continue to play structured, yet aggressive, defense (similar to the Texas Tech and Missouri games) then stopping Florida's little guys from running around should not be an issue. It will then be up to Snow White to try to beat us ;) :D

Dan Thompson
12/25/2008, 01:07 PM
Well, remember what the Rogers brothers did to USC.

oudivesherpa
12/25/2008, 01:39 PM
[QUOTE=Toronto Sooner;2540097]Tebow and his little runners kinda reminds me of Snow White and her little guys.

Reminds me more of Porky Pig and the three little pigs and it's time for pork chops!

ETGator1
12/25/2008, 01:46 PM
I remember a little guy names Joe Washington too. (G)

Seriously though, UF can go big or small at RB:

Going big, we have Kestahn Moore (5'10"/212) who is a four year player, started for three years and against tOSU in the 06 NCG, and Emmanuel Moody at 6'0"/210 who has more quicks than Moore, but he's been slow to adjust to the spread option and his blocking assignments since his transfer from USC. Kestahn Moore is our best blocker and receiver coming out of the backfield.

Going small, we have Chris Rainey (5'9"/185) who has been slowed down by a groin injury and Jeff Demps (5'8"/176). Demps is the fastest RB in all of college football. He's a tough guy for his size - definitely not a track guy playing football. Rainey's running style reminds me of Johnny Rodgers. I hope he's healthy for the game.

When you add that you have to account for Tebow's running that's going big all the way. Tebow is the best FB who happens to play QB on the field at 6'3"/240.

Toronto Sooner
12/26/2008, 02:53 AM
I'm not too concerned about Florida's bigger runners. Even during the worst of times, OU has historically shut down big bodied runners. Perhaps Kendal Hunter (Okie St.) being the exception. Hunter though is a bit of a freak. He is only 5-8 (really short), but he is very stocky, with big powerful legs. He was really difficult to tackle. Having said that though, he only gained 84 running yards against OU, which was his lowest total of the 2008 season.

Adrian Taylor (Defensive End) doesn't get enough credit for the great job he does (on a consistent basis), especially with run stopping. I vaguely remember someone saying on a game broadcast that he is the strongest player on the team.

As such, I think we will be fine in stopping anything big that Florida decides to through at us (even without D. Granger). And, as mentioned earlier on this thread, stopping Florida's little guys will be about discipline, execution of gap assignments, containment and wrapping up while tackling - all fundamental requirements of playing solid defense. If our D plays with the same level of aggressiveness and discipline/control, and as strategically, as we played against Texas Tech and Missouri, I am positive we will be fine.