PDA

View Full Version : FAO Cheese ****** *******s...

Turd_Ferguson
12/25/2008, 11:35 AM
I'm thinkin about mak'n some campfire queso kinda like OTB has. I figure on using hamburger meat, sausage, jalapenos and other additives.....what kind of cheese should I use? I'm gonna do all of this in a cast iron skillet. Help.

soonerinabilene
12/25/2008, 11:45 AM
I forget the technical name of it, but the mexican white cheese that says great for quesadillas on it is fantastic for queso. Melts really good, and wont stick to a skillet.

Turd_Ferguson
12/25/2008, 11:49 AM
I forget the technical name of it, but the mexican white cheese that says great for quesadillas on it is fantastic for queso. Melts really good, and wont stick to a skillet.Thanks....now, if I can just find a store open.

soonerinabilene
12/25/2008, 11:50 AM
Teh HEB's are the only real store open around here.

King Crimson
12/25/2008, 11:52 AM
muenster is a relatively inexpensive white cheese that melts when you look at it. it's often used for enchiladas in restaurants (the one's that don't use velveeta).

smoked mozzarella as well.

i'd google something like "making queso dip"....there'll be a ton of recipes you can look at and figure your cheese strategy.

Turd_Ferguson
12/25/2008, 11:55 AM
muenster is a relatively inexpensive white cheese that melts when you look at it. it's often used for enchiladas in restaurants (the one's that don't use velveeta).

smoked mozzarella as well.

i'd google something like "making queso dip"....there'll be a ton of recipes you can look at and figure your cheese strategy.I think I'm gonna use something like that, but I think the best way is to get all my ingredients cooked on the stove, then load up the cheese and more jalapeners and shover in the oven;)

OU-HSV
12/25/2008, 02:50 PM
Thanks....now, if I can just find a store open.

Good luck with this task...my wife went to 2 of the Walmarts in B.A. and a Reasors grocery store...all were closed.
Finally she found a walgreens that was open. And of course Walgreens didn't have everything she needed.

Frozen Sooner
12/25/2008, 02:56 PM
Two words for your queso:

Ro
Tel

King Crimson
12/25/2008, 03:22 PM
Two words for your queso:

Ro
Tel

yeah, the fact he's posting a query is saying to me he's not going the velveeta or rotel route (or he's from North Dakota or China). however, if it were me...and there was pressure i might roll in some velveeta to get that good melt. for personal enjoyment i'd leave it out. i have a really kick *** melty cheese dip recipe with apple brandy and fontina somewhere....from back inna day.

C&CDean
12/25/2008, 03:44 PM
1. OTB? That crap is crap.
2. The mexican cheese that is the best is asadero. No, you won't find it on Christmas day, and I doubt you'll find it anywhere in OK. Of course I'm in Tucson right now, and I'm bringing about 10 lbs. of it home with me. Also, green corn tamales, chili beef tamales, several quarts of chile verde and chile colorado, tortillas, and some carne seca.
3. No ground beef. Use Owens or Jimmy Dean hot sausage.
4. Merry Christmas.

OU-HSV
12/25/2008, 03:54 PM
2. The mexican cheese that is the best is asadero. No, you won't find it on Christmas day, and I doubt you'll find it anywhere in OK. Of course I'm in Tucson right now, and I'm bringing about 10 lbs. of it home with me. Also, green corn tamales, chili beef tamales, several quarts of chile verde and chile colorado, tortillas, and some carne seca.
4. Merry Christmas.

Okay, now I'm hungry once again. Sounds good.
My wife usually makes the queso in my house because she does a great job at it...so I let her keep doing it. And she's used both sausages you mentioned in it. Always adds to the flavor

Turd_Ferguson
12/25/2008, 06:41 PM
Thanks all. It turned out very good. 1lb of JD Hot sausage, 1lb of hamburger meat freshly in from the processor, 8 jalapeners sliced, 1 white onion sliced. Cooked in the large cast iron skillet. Topped it with a whole bag of monterey jack(that's all I had). Diced up 1 tomater and put that on top of the cheese. Shov'der in the oven on tree fitty for about 10 minutes or until the cheese started to bubble. Served on danged ol flour tortila's or natcho chips and it ROFO!!:hot::pop:

King Crimson
12/25/2008, 06:55 PM
2. The mexican cheese that is the best is asadero. No, you won't find it on Christmas day, and I doubt you'll find it anywhere in OK. .

that's not true, my mom buys it in Norman all the time. Christmas Day, no. but it can be bought in Norman.

Flagstaffsooner
12/25/2008, 07:46 PM
4. Merry Christmas.
Swing by here on your way home.:D You can play in the snow.:(

soonerboomer93
12/25/2008, 08:09 PM
4. Merry Christmas.

I thought you didn't like chili verde?

or atleast you complained about the fact that it's used on so many dishes here in denver

I'm not bringing any back with me, I have the family recipe, and i'll taking some chili's back

Half a Hundred
12/25/2008, 08:29 PM
I forget the technical name of it, but the mexican white cheese that says great for quesadillas on it is fantastic for queso. Melts really good, and wont stick to a skillet.

Asadero or Oaxaca cheese. Fantastic stuff.

C&CDean
12/26/2008, 11:59 AM
that's not true, my mom buys it in Norman all the time. Christmas Day, no. but it can be bought in Norman.

Where?

King Crimson
12/26/2008, 01:43 PM
Where?

i'd have to ask her, but if i had to guess i'd say that mexican grocery where Dodson's used to be on Main or the little Mexican market that's about 75 yards east of Sooner Dairy....assuming both of those places are in business. they could have gone foldo in the last couple years....it's been awhile since i lived in Norman.

StoopTroup
12/26/2008, 09:17 PM
:D

http://www.caciqueusa.com/images/vicente/vicente_cacique.jpg

StoopTroup
12/26/2008, 09:20 PM
Drink up ! ! !

XQdGCW6Qq1Q&feature=related

SanJoaquinSooner
12/26/2008, 10:31 PM
My favorite Mexican cheese, Queso de Cotija, isn't a melting cheese. Cold it's crumbly, and hot it's soft but not runny. great for enchiladas, tacos, quesadillas, tortas, nachos, and caldo/sopa.

http://www.caciqueusa.com/images/product_shots/19.jpg

olevetonahill
12/26/2008, 10:35 PM
jaun Knows his mesican **** .:rolleyes:

SteelCitySooner
12/26/2008, 10:42 PM
Drink up ! ! !

Oh I am. Definitley going to drunkytown tonight :D

SanJoaquinSooner
12/26/2008, 10:44 PM
jaun Knows his mesican **** .:rolleyes:

Sí.