PDA

View Full Version : Just when I though I was out, they pull me back in!

Okla-homey
12/25/2008, 10:07 AM
Some crook thought he scored a presidential pardon. Then, W reversed course and yanked it back. :eek: Virtually unprecedented I suspect.

WASHINGTON - President George W. Bush took the very rare step Wednesday of revoking a pardon he had granted only a day before, after learning in news reports of political contributions to Republicans by the man's father and other information.

Bush pardoned 19 people on Tuesday, including Isaac Robert Toussie of Brooklyn, N.Y., who had been convicted of making false statements to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and of mail fraud.

On Wednesday, the White House issued an extraordinary statement saying the president was reversing his decision in Toussie's case.

White House press secretary Dana Perino said the new decision was "based on information that has subsequently come to light," including on the extent and nature of Toussie's prior criminal offenses. She also said that neither the White House counsel's office nor the president had been aware of a political contribution by Toussie's father that "might create an appearance of impropriety."

"Given that, this was the prudent thing to do," she said.

The new information came to the White House's attention from news reports, Perino said.

Frozen Sooner
12/25/2008, 02:38 PM
See, that's just odd. Not saying that a revocation of a pardon was the wrong thing to do here, but I would think there'd be some kind of due process violation with doing that.

Okla-homey
12/25/2008, 02:49 PM
See, that's just odd. Not saying that a revocation of a pardon was the wrong thing to do here, but I would think there'd be some kind of due process violation with doing that.

Remember, a pardon doesn't mean you didn't do the crime for which you were convicted.

Frozen Sooner
12/25/2008, 02:55 PM
True.

However, I thought a pardon was in the nature of stating that no public policy goal would be met by the further service of sentence and the sentence was removed for what seems like good cause. Restoring the sentence without a new adversarial meeting seems like a taking without due process.

olevetonahill
12/25/2008, 03:42 PM
IF the Pardon had been issued Id agree. But If he was just on a List to BE pardoned No harm No Foul.
Plus dosent A Pardon wipe the Crime away ?

Frozen Sooner
12/25/2008, 03:58 PM
vet, by my reading of the article the pardon had been granted.

olevetonahill
12/25/2008, 04:24 PM
vet, by my reading of the article the pardon had been granted.

But It hadnt been Delievered or something
Heres the rules thingy

in his or her judgment the President should grant or deny the petition.

Sec. 1.7 Notification of grant of clemency.

When a petition for pardon is granted, the petitioner or his or her attorney shall be notified of such action and the warrant of pardon shall be mailed to the petitioner. When commutation of sentence is granted, the petitioner shall be notified of such action and the warrant of a commutation shall be sent to the petitioner through the officer in charge of his or her place of confinement, or directly to the petitioner if he/she is on parole, probation, or supervised release.

Sec. 1.8 Notification of denial of clemency.

(a) Whenever the President notifies the Attorney General that he has denied a request for clemency, the Attorney General shall so advise the petitioner and close the case.

(b) Except in cases in which a sentence of death has been imposed, whenever the Attorney General recommends that the President deny a request for clemency and the President does not disapprove or take other action with respect to that adverse recommendation within 30 days after the date of its submission to him, it shall be presumed that the President concurs in that adverse recommendation of the Attorney General

olevetonahill
12/25/2008, 04:25 PM
Heres the Link I got that from .

http://usgovinfo.about.com/blprespardons.htm

Frozen Sooner
12/25/2008, 04:26 PM
Gotcha.

olevetonahill
12/25/2008, 04:27 PM
From what I understand from the Rules and the Article .
Bush Had SAID he was gonna do it then Simply Changed his Mind and said
**** off dip **** :D

OUinFLA
12/25/2008, 04:45 PM
The crook should have left town faster

King Crimson
12/25/2008, 04:56 PM
From what I understand from the Rules and the Article .
Bush Had SAID he was gonna do it then Simply Changed his Mind and said
**** off dip **** :D

i suspect there was a reason more than merely "changing his mind"....i changed my mind when i decided to roast a chicken with sausages and green apples today instead of buying some steaks.

now, what's interesting is how the "vetting" process for pardons can be overthrown in a 48 hour period "by recent information"....that isn't ever made public.

Soonerfan88
12/25/2008, 05:34 PM
I read a longer article about it. Because the conviction was within the last 5 years, it didn't have to go through the "pardon attorney" office and a stronger vetting. The request application & statements of support were all that was submitted. After the information got out about his pardon, victims of his mortgage fraud started protesting. Bush administration got the full story, including the family's campaign donations, and issued the reversal.

SoonerStormchaser
12/25/2008, 06:40 PM
Heh...now here's something you never would see with Clinton.

King Crimson
12/25/2008, 06:47 PM
well, we all know Republicans are always right and made of ethics.

King Crimson
12/25/2008, 06:49 PM
especially the ones who admit to voting for the GOP since it makes their job security better. that's a good citizen.