PDA

View Full Version : GRE Study Guides

afs
12/25/2008, 08:58 AM
I've finally decided to grow up and get a graduate degree - unfortunely I need a decent GRE score for the program I'm looking at. I've got 4 months until I'll be able to take the course so I've got time to prep. Any recommendations on study guides/manuals?

Okla-homey
12/25/2008, 09:19 AM
I've finally decided to grow up and get a graduate degree - unfortunely I need a decent GRE score for the program I'm looking at. I've got 4 months until I'll be able to take the course so I've got time to prep. Any recommendations on study guides/manuals?

Do you want to study on your own or take a course?

FWIW, these guys guarentee a higher score, and their bar exam prep materials were excellent.

http://www.kaptest.com/gre?PPC1

King Crimson
12/25/2008, 09:44 AM
if cost isn't an issue (or maybe it's better to see it as an investment), i'd recommend taking a course. I taught SAT classes for Princeton Review about 10 years ago and that's who I'd choose over Kaplan...but, Homey has recent experience/success to point to in the "now". I don't know how much these things cost these days but i suspect Kap and PR are comparable in cost and success. main point is if you do take a class, be prepared to do the work and not half-a$$ it.

the GRE is not brutally difficult--basic skills. you will need to be able to do (or re-learn) algebra....without that you'll not do well on the math sections.

my experience with graduate admissions tells me (unless a program states otherwise) GRE scores can hurt you on a admissions decision (if they are low), but most programs are looking for a minimum (usually mandated by the Graduate School at said U.) and beyond that other factors like your undergrad GPA, coursework in your major, possibly a writing sample or conference presentations maybe, and recommendations are more important as a criterion for admission. a good score or high percentile rank is a plus but not something that's going to be money in the bank....like a good LSAT score is for instance. it doesn't carry the weight as much as the LSAT.

King Crimson
12/25/2008, 09:51 AM
and besides, getting a graduate degree is more like a retreat to the warm, yummy narcissism of the womb....not "growing up". ;)

Okla-homey
12/25/2008, 10:01 AM
and besides, getting a graduate degree is more like a retreat to the warm, yummy narcissism of the womb....not "growing up". ;)

WERD. I bet he'll be continually amused by the daily drama and antics of his classmates who went straight from undergrad to grad school.:D

afs
12/25/2008, 11:56 AM
Oh I'm not going to have the pleasure of doing this from a campus - it will be online distance learning. and by growing up, I've realized that I won't be in the good ol' USAF for the rest of my life and a plan for the future is probably in my best interests.

Thanks for the info.

proud gonzo
12/25/2008, 01:06 PM
um... I don't know. I didn't study for mine.

Frozen Sooner
12/25/2008, 02:35 PM
I used both Princeton and Kaplan for the LSAT and they helped a ton. Then again, there's more specific knowledge tested on the GRE, so take it for what it's worth.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/25/2008, 03:14 PM
there are specific subject-matter GRE exams and then there's the general one that is SAT-like. Which are you taking?

OU_PhD
12/27/2008, 01:51 AM
I'm a USAF vet and did the same thing. I took the old GRE and did very poorly, which sucked because my letters, GPA and transcripts could have gotten me into basically any school. Fortunately I still got a fellowship, but a lot of my cohort did not. The test IMO is a very poor tool for measuring potential for success in graduate school.

I would suggest taking a course first unless you are very disciplined and can study on your own. Take lots of practice tests, even though they're nowhere near as difficult as the actual test. Hope that helps a little.

OU_PhD
12/27/2008, 01:55 AM
I forgot to add that I would HIGHLY recommend checking out the forums over on the chronicle of higher education website (www.chronicle.com).