PDA

View Full Version : Stoops looks to earn $250K bonus with BCS title

JLEW1818
12/25/2008, 12:01 AM
NORMAN, Okla. -- Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops stands to receive a $250,000 bonus if the second-ranked Sooners beat Florida in the BCS championship game.

Stoops' contract calls for him to get $150,000 for leading the Sooners to the BCS title game, and an additional $100,000 for a win. Oklahoma (12-1) will face top-ranked Florida (12-1) in Miami on Jan. 8.

Stoops has already earned an $80,000 bonus for winning the Big 12 title and another $30,000 for being selected the conference's coach of the year. He shared that honor with Texas Tech's Mike Leach. Stoops' contract also calls for a $75,000 bonus if the Sooners finish in the top 10 in the BCS.

Stoops also will collect a $3 million bonus for finishing 10 seasons with Oklahoma.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls08/news/story?id=3792696

**** between him and the Mrs, wow their kids will be loaded.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/25/2008, 12:05 AM
Pretty good coach, in an excellent jorb!

Dan Thompson
12/25/2008, 12:15 AM
The football program probably raised about $80 million this year.

oumartin
12/25/2008, 12:20 AM
nice parting gift for the Cleveland Browns new head coach(or Chiefs)

OUHOMER
12/25/2008, 12:25 AM
What a year, so thats about a 6 million dollar year if he wins.

bring home the bacon Bob.

SoonerBoognish
12/25/2008, 12:27 AM
"Bob Stoops won't give you 5 bucks."

Mile High Sooner
12/25/2008, 12:27 AM
That's a pretty good investment in the future of Sooner Football. I hope he gets every penny!!

SCOUT
12/25/2008, 12:29 AM
The football program probably raised about $80 million this year.
Exactly. Let's think about the math for awhile.

What did we pay Schnelly? How much did the program bring in that year?

Lastly, how happy were you with the program then versus now?

I would say that it is money well spent, but I don't think that is strong enough. I would go with something along the lines of bargain of the century.

AzianSooner
12/25/2008, 12:47 AM
I think Bob Stoops worth every penny of that 4 mil.

SoonerLB
12/25/2008, 02:04 AM
nice parting gift for the Cleveland Browns new head coach(or Chiefs)

Just out of curiosity, why would you even think such a thing, let alone say it?

Maybe it's just my opinion, but I think Bob Stoops has possibly the best job in football, and I hope he stays till he decides to retire.

Why take a job that would bring more stress, more press nonsense, and some egotistical owner to have to deal with? I'm pretty sure he doesn't need the money. And I imagine that knowing Switzer, Spurrier, and other coaches that have tried it, he has had plenty of feedback about making such a move, or possibly, such a mistake.

oumartin
12/25/2008, 02:47 AM
I say it to make people uncomfortable. ;)

ashley
12/25/2008, 08:29 AM
He is not going to the north, maybe south some time, but not north.

A-M
12/25/2008, 10:52 AM
He is not going to the north, maybe south some time, but not north.

Don't think he is going anywhere. He has a much better coaching job at OU then he would have at most pro teams. He's smart and knows he's got it all in Norman. Why would he want to leave?

BigRedJed
12/25/2008, 11:10 AM
I know that money is always important, but I seriously doubt that bonus is even in a distant back corner of his mind right now. He has had many chances at higher paying jobs, and passed.

I think Stoops is far more driven by the opportunity to make history than he is the opportunity to make money. When he is an old man, he wants to be mentioned in the same breath as Bud and Barry. The last decade has been a great one for Sooner football, but he needs at least one more title before his name resides alongside theirs, and he knows it.

Soonermagik
12/25/2008, 12:01 PM
His family is comfortable here and I think that's a big deal to him. Plus, he owns several small businesses. If that weren't enough, he has spent 10 years here making close friends and business alliances.

I think Stoops might have considered the NFL, but seeing Saban, Spurrier and Pete C. flop I think it might have sealed the deal.

OUAlumni1990
12/25/2008, 08:39 PM
I think Bob Stoops worth every penny of that 4 mil.

I do too. I hope he gets more if he keeps bringing the 'W's and the NC's!!!

Flying Scotsman
12/25/2008, 11:14 PM
Let's see...

Small bonus for masterful results...

No funny money, no mortgage meltdown, no Ponzi scheme, no probation....

Who could as for anything more? ...another MNC would be nice....

Jacie
12/25/2008, 11:20 PM
UT Board of regents voted to give Mack Brown a $10,000 bonus everytime the fans spontaneously fly a banner over an opponent's game and an extra $5000 if it is over an OU game. He also gets a $1000 bonus for being invited to chat with the broadcast team during any televised opponent's game and an extra $500 if it is during an OU game.

OKC-SLC
12/25/2008, 11:43 PM
Plus, he owns several small businesses.

I didn't realize this. What are some of his businesses?

blackbeauty02
12/26/2008, 08:54 PM
maybe he can buy tv's for every room in his new house including two for outside like mack daddy brown

L-Boy
12/26/2008, 09:02 PM
I will start this out knowing its a controversial view, but nonetheless here goes:

I just think it is wrong that all this money goes to the head coach, whether its stoops at a base of $3 million, Saban at $4 million, or whatever Meyer makes. Then at the same time players don't get squat. All the benefits go to the coach, and the university. A small percentage of players get visibility to go pro, the left have little to show for it. Yes, in theory they have a shot a college degree, but realistically that is not going to happen for a lot of these kids.

I just think it is fundamentally wrong. I do realize that if and when you start to pay players, you start to go down a road that may end badly - but College football is a big business, why should the coach be the one the reaps all the benefit?

A-M
12/27/2008, 03:10 PM
I will start this out knowing its a controversial view, but nonetheless here goes:

I just think it is wrong that all this money goes to the head coach, whether its stoops at a base of $3 million, Saban at $4 million, or whatever Meyer makes. Then at the same time players don't get squat. All the benefits go to the coach, and the university. A small percentage of players get visibility to go pro, the left have little to show for it. Yes, in theory they have a shot a college degree, but realistically that is not going to happen for a lot of these kids.

I just think it is fundamentally wrong. I do realize that if and when you start to pay players, you start to go down a road that may end badly - but College football is a big business, why should the coach be the one the reaps all the benefit?

True, many of the kids do not receive a lot for what they do for the university. But as you said, when you start paying the players, you have some major problems. It would be a good thing if something could be figured out how to be able to help out the kids, but I am not the one with that answer.
Maybe Bob deserves all that money considering what he brings to OU. You may not know it, but OU is the only college/university that the athletic department pays its own way and then it also gives the schools general fund several million dollars each year. I would venture a guess that the football program brings in more money then all the other sports combines.

BigRedJed
12/29/2008, 09:33 AM
Here's what I would like to see: NCAA sanctioning of a sort of short-term after-eligibility pension plan for athletes, based on athletic department revenues, giving them the opportunity to finish their educations (if they haven't already) and get situated in their post-college careers without financial pressure.

It should probably also include things like continuing education, health care when they don't have it available otherwise from an employer, and possibly some sort of trust-managed economic, education and other assistance for guys who for whatever reason go off the tracks financially and otherwise later in life.

Obviously guys (and girls) who go professional after college would have their benefits deferred, and would maybe (even hopefully) never use them.

I think that would do a hell of a lot more good than some sort of paycheck during their careers, at least in the majority of cases, plus it seems like it would be much easier to police and keep from becoming corrupted.

MojoRisen
12/29/2008, 10:08 AM
I don't know, maybe a stippened or small regulated allowance. They get free room and board and Prime Rib the night before every game.. Not too mention Free Education.

The coaches who make the big bucks are earning it. Since the players really have a full time job in football - perhaps they should be able to earn an allowance - Not more than a few hundred dollars a week so they can go on a date or buy some beer and pizza after hours...