PDA

View Full Version : If SUC and TX both win their bowls, should they play for 3rd place?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/24/2008, 05:24 PM
I would like to see them in a meaningful game for 3rd place, as we all want to know who that would be.(heh)

adoniijahsooner
12/24/2008, 06:22 PM
No, because if we lose by less then 9 points, or win by any amount of points, then texas will declare themselves winners and try to push us into the 3rd place game.

JLEW1818
12/24/2008, 06:25 PM
That is why the BCS is a joke, if ur not playing in the national title game, who really cares? **** tradition.

A-M
12/24/2008, 06:37 PM
I would like to see them in a meaningful game for 3rd place, as we all want to know who that would be.

Or, an unmeaningful game would work well for me.

ETGator1
12/24/2008, 07:11 PM
Let's have a playoff instead. I'd be interested in comments on the plan.

BCS Bowl 16 Team Playoff:

The BCS ranking is used to identify the 16 participants.

The 11 conference champions receive an automatic invite if ranked in the BCS top 25.

Three team limit per conference.

The 8 first round games are played on the home field of the higher seed.

The quarter, semi, and finals are played in the bowls, 7 games.

The first round games are played after finals - the third weekend in December.

Using this season as an example, these are the first round games:

(16) Virginia Tech at (1) Oklahoma
(15) BYU at (2) Florida
(14) Georgia at (3) Texas
(13) Georgia Tech at (4) Alabama
(12) Cincinnati at (5) USC
(11) TCU at (6) Utah
(10) Ohio State at (7) Texas Tech
(9) Boise State at (8) Penn State

This plan gives enough inclusion of non-BCS conferences to ensure no legal problems under the anti trust act.

There is no required reorganizing of the conferences.

The manner for identifying playoff participants has already been accepted by college football.

The playoff doesn't interfere with the academics of student athletes.

Allowing 11 conference champions to have an automatic invite if ranked in the BCS top 25 covers the bias in the polls against non-BCS teams. If a conference champion can't garner enough support to be ranked in the BCS top 25, they don't belong in a playoff.

The remaining bowls go on as a reward for the other teams that became bowl eligible, but didn't qualify for the playoff.

It's all about $$$$$. ESPN just signed a lucrative contract for 5 BCS bowls. Can you imagine the huge amount of $$$$$ that would be bid to televise 8 first round home games and the 7 BCS playoff bowls. Sell this plan and the $$$$$ to the university presidents and we'll have a playoff for the 2015 season when the current ESPN contract expires.

Let the playoffs begin!

okiewaker
12/24/2008, 07:24 PM

The 11 conference champions receive an automatic invite if ranked in the BCS top 25.

(15) BYU at (2) Florida
(11) TCU at (6) Utah

This plan gives enough inclusion of non-BCS conferences to ensure no legal problems under the anti trust act.

The manner for identifying playoff participants has already been accepted by college football.

Allowing 11 conference champions to have an automatic invite if ranked in the BCS top 25 covers the bias in the polls against non-BCS teams. If a conference champion can't garner enough support to be ranked in the BCS top 25, they don't belong in a playoff.

The remaining bowls go on as a reward for the other teams that became bowl eligible, but didn't qualify for the playoff.

It's all about $$$$$. ESPN just signed a lucrative contract for 5 BCS bowls. Can you imagine the huge amount of $$$$$ that would be bid to televise 8 first round home games and the 7 BCS playoff bowls. Sell this plan and the $$$$$ to the university presidents and we'll have a playoff for the 2015 season when the current ESPN contract expires.

Let the playoffs begin!

Why would you want to go through all this when your team is playing for it all anyway?

Socrefbek
12/24/2008, 07:24 PM

(15) BYU at (2) Florida
(11) TCU at (6) Utah

Let the playoffs begin!

Thats actually one of the most sensible proposals I've seen so far.

SoonerLB
12/24/2008, 07:37 PM
Sounds good to me!
And who cares what ESPN wants, their interest is their own profits. Let's get to playing football and determining champions the way it SHOULD be done, ON THE FIELD!

12/24/2008, 07:59 PM
I just wanna see suc and tx beat up on each other, and play for stupid-freakin' third place.

adoniijahsooner
12/24/2008, 09:54 PM
Why would you want to go through all this when your team is playing for it all anyway?

To leave no doubt. Hell, USC and LSU are co-champions from the 2003 season; and its a chance it will happen again this year.

ETGator1
12/24/2008, 11:48 PM
I can't open a thread being a non-Sooner and a Gator on top of that. Would someone please cut and paste the playoff proposal to its own thread titled BCS Bowl Playoff Proposal. I'd like as much critique as folks will give.

Thank you

BoulderSooner79
12/24/2008, 11:48 PM
To leave no doubt. Hell, USC and LSU are co-champions from the 2003 season; and its a chance it will happen again this year.

Fey. LSU is the BCS '03 champion and USC has the AP-temper-tantrum trophy. If UT gets the AP-pity trophy this year, it would be an insult to them. But it won't happen because ND just won a bowl game and they would get any split vote.

16 team playoff? How about Bradford and Tebow get injured and OU & UF don't get out of the first round. Various other injuries/upsets/weather/blown calls happen and you get Boise vs. Va tech in the final. Yeah, that would be great. I don't think a playoff could top this year's match-up.

12/25/2008, 12:02 AM
Fey. LSU is the BCS '03 champion and USC has the AP-temper-tantrum trophy. If UT gets the AP-pity trophy this year, it would be an insult to them. But it won't happen because ND just won a bowl game and they would get any split vote.

16 team playoff? How about Bradford and Tebow get injured and OU & UF don't get out of the first round. Various other injuries/upsets/weather/blown calls happen and you get Boise vs. Va tech in the final. Yeah, that would be great. I don't think a playoff could top this year's match-up.Excellent post! Good points!

SCOUT
12/25/2008, 12:12 AM
I think the law of unintended consequences always needs to be considered. I think the idea of a 16 team playoff sounds good but there are likely implications we have and have not thought of. I would prefer to see a gradual transition to some sort of playoff system. I will admit that yours doesn't sound too bad.

I would like to see a simple plus one game to start. If that works well, expand it to 8 teams. This would still rely solely on the BCS which would be the bridge period from today to a playoff. If fans feel they have lost interest in the regular season, we have not redone college football to a point of no return.

My biggest fear is that there will be some drastic action taken to fix the "wrongs" of the system only to create new and possibly worse problems in the future. I don't want to sit around with my kids talking about the good ole days of the BCS.

okiewaker
12/25/2008, 12:15 AM

As you can tell i am not real sure about a playoff system being the OU fan that I am. After this season OU, under bob, will have played in 4 out of 10 NC games. That is darn near 50%. The BCS has been good for OU fans and at this point, again being an OU fan, I say leave it alone. At this point I am not ready for a playoff. When you look at the last ten years it has been the usual suspects at the top, USC, OSU, FLA, LSU, and of course OU. I'm fine with this being that OUr team has gotten to play in 4 of the 10 games. I'm not totally closed to a playoff but it first has start with the conferences all being on the same page, then we can go from there.

ETGator1
12/25/2008, 12:47 AM
Boulder, Texas and USC both disagree with you. I'd include Bama, but UF beat them head to head in the SECCG in what turned out to be a semi final game to the BCSNCG. Penn State losing to a Ferentz coached team at Iowa isn't exactly a disgrace either. Just because we're the two teams fortunate enough to be in Miami doesn't guarantee that we are the best two teams. A playoff extends out to include teams that deserve to be there based on their performance and performance plus fairness in the case of non-BCS conference teams.

What's the public perception if Sam Bradford breaks his foot at the next practice or on the first series of the game and UF stomps OU into a mudhole on January 8? Let me answer for you. The rest of the college football world will view UF's national championship as a tainted title. At least in a playoff, it would take several upsets for Virginia Tech and Boise State to make the finals, not just one beauty contest game like we have now.

Not to make a big deal of it because I think OU is a heckuva team and very deserving of being in Miami, but if the Big 12 used the same tie breaker BCS rule that the SEC uses, it would be UF vs TX, not OU. I know you would feel differently had it been the Sooners left out of the Big 12 CG instead of Texas.

I don't see a split national championship this season. The AP has UF #1 and OU #2. I don't think TX will get much sympathy vote with an expected win over the bucknuts. Had the BCS matched OU vs TX in a rematch, we were headed for another split national championship with the OU/TX winner taking the BCS and UF taking the AP with a win in the Sugar Bowl. Call it the pity trophy if you like, but the AP is and will remain a respected, accepted, and claimed national championship until we have a playoff.

To me, this is a plan for the future of college football. It really has nothing to do with this season except I used it as an example. Anyone could go back and use the final BCS of any season and plug in the teams. One certainty would be that the champion is crowned on the field instead of the realm of opinion. Could've, should've, would've just doesn't measure up to winning it on the field. This concept works in all sports except the college bowl division of college football.

12/25/2008, 01:47 AM
What's with all the threadjacking? I just want to see tx and suc have to play each other, for another meaningless bowl game.

okiewaker
12/25/2008, 01:54 AM
Back on track. I'd watch UT and SUC but would not care. I would root for UT to lose but not be rooting for USC to win. Whatever that means.

12/25/2008, 01:58 AM
Back on track. I'd watch UT and SUC but would not care. I would root for UT to lose but not be rooting for USC to win. Whatever that means.Would you secretly hope for injuries?

okiewaker
12/25/2008, 02:20 AM
Would you secretly hope for injuries?

Huh. That wasn't your original question. So I will abstain from answering this. Secretly!

okiewaker
12/25/2008, 02:25 AM
But, Shhhh!

ETGator1
12/25/2008, 08:45 AM
Rush, this thread could stand on its own if you'd cut and paste the playoff plan to a separate thread as I asked any poster to do. I even said thank you.

You'd have this thread left for all of the juvenile posts you're looking for. (G) You're thread title mentions playing for 3rd place which kind of sort of opens to playoff talk since Bama is 4th in the BCS, not USC. Maybe you should ask if Bama and TX should play for 3rd place?

12/25/2008, 11:27 AM
Rush, this thread could stand on its own if you'd cut and paste the playoff plan to a separate thread as I asked any poster to do. I even said thank you.

You'd have this thread left for all of the juvenile posts you're looking for. (G) You're thread title mentions playing for 3rd place which kind of sort of opens to playoff talk since Bama is 4th in the BCS, not USC. Maybe you should ask if Bama and TX should play for 3rd place?Haha, this is a bash the whorns and usuc thread. You guys can bash Bama if you wish.

auto
12/25/2008, 11:32 AM

Incorrect. Only LSU has the Crystal Football, they are the champions. Simple. If you don't play in the title game, you can't be the MNC:pop:

BoulderSooner79
12/25/2008, 11:41 AM
I would like to see them in a meaningful game for 3rd place, as we all want to know who that would be.(heh)

That would be a great game and I'd love to use that as a CFB "detox" game to help me come down after watching OU win the crystal ball :)

I have to admit the Rose and Fiesta ended up with great match-ups while the Orange and Sugar got hosed. I was a bit surprised at the Sugar because they got hosed last year with Hawaii and I thought the bowls rotated selection order. I don't see the Utes as BCS quality.

Scott D
12/25/2008, 12:26 PM
The answer is no, they both can be little bitches and claim a National Title in 30 years. I mean you know USC is already going to do that anyway.

Dan Thompson
12/25/2008, 02:29 PM
No, because Alabama is #4, USC is #5.

So, if Alabama and Texas both win should they play for 3rd?

12/25/2008, 03:33 PM
No, because Alabama is #4, USC is #5.

So, if Alabama and Texas both win should they play for 3rd?Heck, yeah, make #'s 3-8 all play at least one more game, to see who's the toughest of the also-rans