PDA

View Full Version : yanks are buying title

walkoffsooner
12/24/2008, 04:15 PM
They are dead serious about a world series championship, in the first year of new stadium. With the addition of Tex at 180 million it may be a done deal.

OUthunder
12/25/2008, 02:23 AM
God Bless the New York Yankees.

bluedogok
12/25/2008, 10:13 AM
Hopefully it will work out just like their previous attempts to "buy" the title in recent years...by failing miserably. The Red Sox STILL have won two title since the Yankees. They still had the highest payroll last season by 50+ million and failed to even make the playoffs.

Scott D
12/25/2008, 04:37 PM
I'm waiting for them to demand a government bailout for their contracts.

GrapevineSooner
12/25/2008, 04:51 PM
Honestly, I feared the Yanks more when they grew their own talent.

Considering the success the Red Sox and Devil rays had with growing their own talent (and lest we forget, most of the Phillies were home grown as well) these latest signings by the Yankees don't worry me in the least. Especially that Teixera guy.

Ask the Rangers, Braves, and Angles how well that guy worked out for them.

tulsaoilerfan
12/25/2008, 09:37 PM
Over 400 million committed to 3 players; must be nice to be playing with daddy's $ like that

stoops the eternal pimp
12/27/2008, 01:23 AM
That much money for Texeira..wow..

Anyway, I have no problems with them paying money that they do..They are not the only owners with much bank, they just spend theirs on baseball...

Nobody said much when the RS paid millions of dollars just to talk to Dice K...Or how about a few seasons were the Dodgers threw money around, just to finish in last place...

GrapevineSooner
12/27/2008, 08:34 AM
I do think that MLB should adopt NBA-style rules for trading players. That is, let's say one of their big free agent acquisitions like A.J. Burnett flops under the pressure in New York and the Yanks want to ship him out on a rail.

Let's say the White Sox step up to the plate and want to trade for him (I'm speaking entirely hypothetically, Scott ;) ). IIRC, the Yankees could still agree to pay part of his salary just to make a trade amenable to another team.

In the NBA, you can't do that. The difference in salaries between the players you are trading away has to be within 5% or no deal. And there's a cap on the amount of money you could send to the other team.

Hell, while we're at it, let's also adopt an NBA style cap as well. :D

It's one of the reasons why Mark Cuban can't just buy a title with the Mavericks.

Scott D
12/27/2008, 11:13 AM
That much money for Texeira..wow..

Anyway, I have no problems with them paying money that they do..They are not the only owners with much bank, they just spend theirs on baseball...

Nobody said much when the RS paid millions of dollars just to talk to Dice K...Or how about a few seasons were the Dodgers threw money around, just to finish in last place...

step, the problem with them spending that much on 3 players is the fact that at the same time they're going to the city and asking for a half billion dollar handout to "finish the amenities" on their sparkly new stadium.

Why overpay for 3 players if you need that money so badly to finish your purdy new barn?

Scott D
12/27/2008, 11:14 AM
I do think that MLB should adopt NBA-style rules for trading players. That is, let's say one of their big free agent acquisitions like A.J. Burnett flops under the pressure in New York and the Yanks want to ship him out on a rail.

Let's say the White Sox step up to the plate and want to trade for him (I'm speaking entirely hypothetically, Scott ;) ). IIRC, the Yankees could still agree to pay part of his salary just to make a trade amenable to another team.

In the NBA, you can't do that. The difference in salaries between the players you are trading away has to be within 5% or no deal. And there's a cap on the amount of money you could send to the other team.

Hell, while we're at it, let's also adopt an NBA style cap as well. :D

It's one of the reasons why Mark Cuban can't just buy a title with the Mavericks.

of course it's hypothetical, I already know that AJ Burnett is too old for Kenny Williams to be chasing. He likes to chase those young unproven pitchers. ;)

redtornado33
12/31/2008, 08:27 PM
The yanks have been down this road before, all the money and big name players in the world can't guarantee you a title, its not like their roster last season was talent starved, too many big shots in the clubhouse is bad news, you need less movie star players and more down and dirty guys that have something to prove and something to play for, the yanks won't win their division this year, bank on it.