PDA

View Full Version : Executive Summary - Why the Gators get hammered

L-Boy
12/24/2008, 02:46 PM
I have learned so much from this board. I just want to summarize my new wisdom, and figure out what other ignorance I may have suffered from:

Why UF will get pounded:

- Offensive Stats - Total yards gained is pretty much the sole determinant and predictor of victory. While it is true that UF has higher avg yds per play and higher avg points per play, those are irrelevant, because

1. Averages don't matter, totals do.
2. Whatever the case, throw any UF stats out cuz the SEC sucks.

- Defense - UF D has not been TESTED. I kinda thought the defensive stats were in UF's favor, but really all they show is that SEC defenses are UNTESTED. OU's defenses are THOROUGHLY TESTED, evidence the 360 yds per game given up by OU defense. UNTESTED = BAD, TESTED = GOOD. Thus, the fact that opposing offenses have laid almost 400 yds a game on OU defenses is an ADVANTAGE for OU.

- Hurry Up - no huddle offense - There is simply no way to address this offense. The loss to TX was due to the fact that OU was not hurrying to the line of scrimmage. Now OU sprints from the huddle to the line, and defenses can't substitute, they are utterly unprepared. They stand there bewildered and befuddled. Free safeties mistakenly line up over center, Nose tackles find themselves 15 yds deep in the backfield. The hurry up no huddle effectively puts the defense in a sort of trance, rendering the D helpless and ineffective

- Sam Bradford - Bradford looks off defenders better than any college QB IN HISTORY. Plus, he has SIX, yes, SIX receivers available to him on every play.

- As evidenced by Ole Miss loss, UF cannot prevail over any QB who has played in the Big 12. Again, most likely that trance thing.

- As evidenced by the fact that no one particular rusher or receiver with 1000 yds, the Gators lack a "go to" guy. The fact that UF has more rushing total yds is irrelevant. The fact that the runners average something 7-8 yds per carry is irrelevant. The fact that UF is #2 in yds per play on offense is irrelevant. Its ALL about having the GO-TO guy.

- Speed in the end is fairly irrelevant, or at least everybody is pretty much the same. There is only ONE type of speed that is particularly important, that is the SPEED of which you go from the HUDDLE to the LINE OF SCRIMMAGE. Actual speed during the plays can be dismissed.

- Notwithstanding the above, UF speed is exaggerated. Percy Harvin, Demps and Rainey are not really any faster than your average FEDX guy.

- The Gators scout team CANNOT replicate Bradford and company's offense, and thus the Gator D will be suprised and befuddled with what they see on the field. Presumably, OK should not have any issues replicating the Gator offense and slobs like Tebow and Harvin.

- UF D has not seen SPREAD offenses. OU sees them all the time. The Gators won't know what to do. The fact that the Gators run a spread and the Gator D practices against the Gator O practically every day is not particularly germaine to this discussion.

- OU has this strategy where O lineman sometimes go different ways than expected, and may at times not block the guy who is directly in front of them. This is referred to as some sort of "pulling" activity. It sounds like holding or a personal foul to me, but I am sure Stoopsie and co have plenty of tricks like this up their sleeves.

- Tebow's head is not in the game anyway. He is and will continue to be MAD at Mel Kiper for saying he won't be a QB in the NFL. Tebow is determined to prove Kiper wrong and will leave college just to do so. This is a huge distraction for Tebow and the gators in general.

- The TX loss was primarily due to the aforementioned lack of accelerated-hurry-up-no-huddle which has since been rectified, but also the injury of a linebacker. The linebacker is back now, so all's good with the D.

- OU D will shut down Tebow cold with an innovative "7 in the Box strategy". Faced with the prospect of passing the ball, Tebow will basically just fold, chuck a few out of bounds, walk of the field, dejected, and Brantley will have to take over.

I am sure there countless other legit reasons why the Gators just crumble, but these are the only ones my fairly limited Gater brain can retain. I am sure you will enlighten me of some more. Feel free to do so on this thread, and thanks so much for the enlightenment.

OUHOMER
12/24/2008, 02:49 PM
Finally a gator who gets it

OUMallen
12/24/2008, 02:50 PM
Sounds about right

IronSoonerMan
12/24/2008, 02:54 PM
Nice! Now You know how We feel when We hear about Floridas speed for the thousandth time or that We will play among gods when Tebow is on the field! Also SEC! SEC!

L-Boy
12/24/2008, 02:59 PM
Resistance is Futile.

adoniijahsooner
12/24/2008, 03:01 PM
We are actually a very good team, and not some hawaii or ole miss.

ouengineer97
12/24/2008, 03:03 PM
This is the longest executive summary ever... Let's keep it shorter next time.

We win!

Dan Thompson
12/24/2008, 03:04 PM
I believe OU's hurry up offense has run as many as 97 plays in a game. I would like to see them go over 100, quicker plays and maybe catch UF with too many men on the field, or the wrong men on the field.

L-Boy
12/24/2008, 03:08 PM
I believe OU's hurry up offense has run as many as 97 plays in a game. I would like to see them go over 100, quicker plays and maybe catch UF with too many men on the field, or the wrong men on the field.

Or maybe never even have enough time to get off the sideline and on to the field in the first place!!

L-Boy
12/24/2008, 03:11 PM
This is the longest executive summary ever... Let's keep it shorter next time.

We win!

And its the compelling desire to say this that motivates you to put up your first ever post? :D

Piware
12/24/2008, 03:15 PM
And its the compelling desire to say this that motivates you to put up your first ever post? :D

Engineer's subliminal message: We Are #1

He may be a n00b but he's OUr n00b.

ouengineer97
12/24/2008, 03:17 PM

Actually, just joined this board, and normally post read at another. Had some time to kill. :)

MarylandGator
12/24/2008, 03:36 PM
you forgot, tradition.

nutinbutdust
12/24/2008, 04:04 PM
I
- Hurry Up - no huddle offense - There is simply no way to address this offense. The loss to TX was due to the fact that OU was not hurrying to the line of scrimmage. Now OU sprints from the huddle to the line, and defenses can't substitute, they are utterly unprepared. They stand there bewildered and befuddled. Free safeties mistakenly line up over center, Nose tackles find themselves 15 yds deep in the backfield. The hurry up no huddle effectively puts the defense in a sort of trance, rendering the D helpless and ineffective

-nt.

Get it right! OU does not sprint from the huddle to the line. They are in position to line up before the linesman puts the ball down. Think what you may but this throws defenses off rhythm. As we used to say when I went to OU and watched Billy Sims play.... Hide and watch. We'll see what happens on game day.
Remember this.....
Offensive plays.... OU 1036 UF 800. That is 3 more games on offense. Does that mean we are 15-1?:rolleyes:

P3 Gator
12/24/2008, 05:51 PM
I'd like to thank everyone for this thread. Got a great chuckle out of the whole thing.

Panamag8or
12/24/2008, 10:38 PM
Get it right! OU does not sprint from the huddle to the line. They are in position to line up before the linesman puts the ball down. Think what you may but this throws defenses off rhythm. As we used to say when I went to OU and watched Billy Sims play.... Hide and watch. We'll see what happens on game day.
Remember this.....
Offensive plays.... OU 1036 UF 800. That is 3 more games on offense. Does that mean we are 15-1?:rolleyes:

15-2 on Jan. 9.:cool:

Iam4OUru
12/24/2008, 11:14 PM
L-Boy, that was a funny post. yOU are very observant. :D

L-Boy
12/24/2008, 11:23 PM
I'd like to thank everyone for this thread. Got a great chuckle out of the whole thing.

I kind of wanted to summarize it for any remaining ignant Gater fans who may show up later. This way all the cognizant points are neatly stated in one post.

okiewaker
12/24/2008, 11:50 PM
L, thanks for your insight as to your people. From here on out I will ignore the ignant gator fans and live by your proclamation. Nice job!

JLEW1818
12/24/2008, 11:53 PM
gotta rap up