PDA

View Full Version : Sam's take on Landry Jones.

adoniijahsooner
12/24/2008, 01:35 PM
Sam really is impressed with Landry's progress so far in the offense. I thought it was odd that L.J. was working with the ones in practice during bowl prep. Whatever the case, Sam believes the offense will be in great hands when Landry takes over; and in my personal opinion, is the death knell that he would be okay with taking off for the N.F.L., because Sammy loves the sooners with all of his heart, and knows that Mr. Jones would take care of his baby.

http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/07-oas-mediaplayer-okla.html?content=mms://a1981.v8108e.c8108.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1981/8108/v0001/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/okla/08-09/video/m-footbl/12dec/20081222_presser_bradford.wmv&school=okla&

Scott D
12/24/2008, 02:08 PM
actually it doesn't seem all that odd. Halzle's been working with the twos all year so it's less of a disruption, plus they get to take advantage of the extra available practice time to further Jones' progress in understanding the offense.

Lott's Bandana
12/24/2008, 02:17 PM
actually it doesn't seem all that odd. Halzle's been working with the twos all year so it's less of a disruption, plus they get to take advantage of the extra available practice time to further Jones' progress in understanding the offense.

Yup, another loophole in the wonderful system. Bowl teams get practices that non-bowl teams don't get, and they are often used to prep next year's players. In a way, it hinders the non-achievers from getting better, but that is probably a bit over-analytical.

MichiganSooner
12/24/2008, 02:21 PM
It is my opinion that Sam will return next year. #1 reason is next year will be his 4th year at OU and he will be close to wrapping up his degree. Sounds strange to say that but I believe it the the original reason he went to college in the first place. #2-It has been said that the NFL WILL implement a new policy after this spring's draft which puts a salary cap on rookie draftees. An article I read quoted a Dallas Cowboy exec who said that policy has been proposed since the 1970's or 80's and never implemented and he does not think it will be this year either. #3-Reasons given by Dave Sitler in Tulsa World column of 12/24. Dave's opinion, for what it is worth but makes sense to me. www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectid=202&articl

adoniijahsooner
12/24/2008, 02:30 PM
Yup, another loophole in the wonderful system. Bowl teams get practices that non-bowl teams don't get, and they are often used to prep next year's players. In a way, it hinders the non-achievers from getting better, but that is probably a bit over-analytical.

Hehe

cvsooner
12/24/2008, 02:33 PM

Well, considering how 64 of 119 teams qualify for bowl games...even the underachievers get some extra practice time.

adoniijahsooner
12/24/2008, 02:36 PM
It is my opinion that Sam will return next year. #1 reason is next year will be his 4th year at OU and he will be close to wrapping up his degree. Sounds strange to say that but I believe it the the original reason he went to college in the first place. #2-It has been said that the NFL WILL implement a new policy after this spring's draft which puts a salary cap on rookie draftees. An article I read quoted a Dallas Cowboy exec who said that policy has been proposed since the 1970's or 80's and never implemented and he does not think it will be this year either. #3-Reasons given by Dave Sitler in Tulsa World column of 12/24. Dave's opinion, for what it is worth but makes sense to me. www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectid=202&articl

Link Failure!

oudivesherpa
12/24/2008, 04:50 PM
Sam has a 3.95 in finance. Hopefully he has learned to compute his NPV (net present value) and make the right choice for his family. If he is a lock to be in the top half of the first round, he should go, if not he should stay.

My problem is with the guys who declare early and then become second or third round picks. If you can improve you're draft standing by a complete pick you should stay, of course, the risk of staying is that you get hurt or just play badly and you're draft status drops.

If you're in the top half of the first round go, if you can improve by you're pick by at least a round then stay.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/24/2008, 04:54 PM
I thought this thread was about Landry Jones

SoonerLB
12/24/2008, 05:31 PM
Landry needs to be ready for next season's role as backup, 'cause Sam is going to have a big "X" on his back from winning the Heisman. Plus it would be nice to have another QB that could see something other than mop up duty handing the ball off in order to run out the clock.

adoniijahsooner
12/24/2008, 05:36 PM
I thought this thread was about Landry Jones

Thats what I was aiming for

JLEW1818
12/24/2008, 06:23 PM
It's not like Sam is going to say OU is in trouble.

adoniijahsooner
12/24/2008, 06:37 PM

Yeah, but he was very specific with his praise, and didnt just say, "he is a good player".

Beef
12/25/2008, 09:47 AM
I heard him say we were doomed. Other teams practice and lift weights and hit people like the big meanies that they are.

boomermagic
12/25/2008, 12:53 PM

Do you really I mean REALLY believe Sam will be back ? Wanta buy some swamp land ? Sorry, I hope he is but I am sure he won't be..

josh09
12/25/2008, 02:02 PM
Sam really is impressed with Landry's progress so far in the offense. I thought it was odd that L.J. was working with the ones in practice during bowl prep. Whatever the case, Sam believes the offense will be in great hands when Landry takes over; and in my personal opinion, is the death knell that he would be okay with taking off for the N.F.L., because Sammy loves the sooners with all of his heart, and knows that Mr. Jones would take care of his baby.

http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/07-oas-mediaplayer-okla.html?content=mms://a1981.v8108e.c8108.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1981/8108/v0001/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/okla/08-09/video/m-footbl/12dec/20081222_presser_bradford.wmv&school=okla&

Well maybe we can get another one of Sam's kind with Landry. I mean, when quarterbacks come out of nowhere like Sam did, theyre usually hard to come by. But hopefully since Sam likes him, he'll be pretty good.

SleestakSooner
12/25/2008, 02:30 PM
As long as we have Josh Heuple as OUr quarterback's coach we will have good if not great play from that position.

SoonerObsession
12/25/2008, 02:43 PM
I'm sure Landry will be a great player, but after White and Bradford have spoiled us rotten it will be very difficult to please the Sooner masses. Big shoes!

adoniijahsooner
12/25/2008, 02:57 PM
I'm sure Landry will be a great player, but after White and Bradford have spoiled us rotten it will be very difficult to please the Sooner masses. Big shoes!

i think thompson did a little spoiling as well, from a leadership standpoint.

Big John
12/25/2008, 03:24 PM
As long as we have Josh Heuple as OUr quarterback's coach we will have good if not great play from that position.

That's exactly why people shouldn't worry too much about the QB position next season. Heuple has done an amazing job since he's been here and Landry Jones is a great young quarterback who fits our offense perfectly. He's a lot like Thompson and Bradford: he's big, athletic, and very accurate. I'm personally optimistic about next season because if Bradford is gone, then that probably means that he's won the championship. I think he might just stick around to get his degree if he doesn't win the big one this season, which would be great. If he leaves, then he have Jones... Not bad in my eyes.

stoopified
12/26/2008, 12:12 PM
Not everyone who has NFL potential has their whole life wrapped up in playing the NFL and making unworldly sums of money>I know the Beradfords a little bit and personally I will be shocked IF Sam declares for the draft.His family is very grounded and has no need for the NFL paycheck.I fully expect him to return next year and get his degree.The difference between a 15 Million $ contract this year and a 10 million $ contract next year will not sway him IMHO.I am not an NFL insider so I just chose the $ amounts at random,my point being MONEY will not be Sam's deciding factor.

I also think Sam comes back to help the team and give Landry more time to develop.

JLEW1818
12/26/2008, 12:30 PM
Yeah, but he was very specific with his praise, and didnt just say, "he is a good player".

Ya I know, I think Jones will be a stud too.

RedstickSooner
12/26/2008, 12:49 PM
I'm sure Landry will be a fine quarterback -- but, obviously, whoever follows Sam is going to represent a drop-off.

You just don't get to replace Heisman caliber guys that easily. I know it makes no sense for Sam to stay, but I sure wish he would. It'd be nice to get at least three years out of the lad, y'know?

shaun4411
12/26/2008, 01:09 PM
those reporters ask some very stupid questions. it never ceases to amaze.

KingDavid
12/26/2008, 02:32 PM
Bradford will be back regardless of the outcome of the game.