PDA

View Full Version : Best Christmas memory as a kid

8timechamps
12/24/2008, 08:09 AM
Not talking about the actual opening of presents, but the things you and your family did that made the season special.

For me, it was Christmas eve. We would always go to Christmas eve service at church, and then back home where my brother, sister and I got to exchange the gifts we had gotten for each other (of course, as a kid, we never actually shopped and paid for them).

Now that I have kids, we do the same thing. Church tonight, then the boys exchange gifts.

Merry Christmas eve day!!!

8timechamps
12/24/2008, 10:42 AM
I started a new tradition this year where I start a thread on a message board, and only crickets visit.

Ho, Ho, Holy crap you guys suck!

King Crimson
12/24/2008, 10:48 AM
loading up the car, driving to my grandparents.

Pricetag
12/24/2008, 11:14 AM
I'd say my best was probably 1983, for a variety of reasons.

First off, it was our last Christmas with my grandpa on my mom's side. He was the undisputed patriarch of our family, a real character. I've lived the vast majority of my life without him, but I still wish I could talk to him sometimes when I'm in a real jam and need advice.

We also spent the night on Christmas Eve with our aunt and uncle, which meant we got to have a sleep over with the cousins. We usually opened our presents with them on Christmas Eve, but since we were all together on Christmas morning, we waited until then. Falling asleep on Christmas Eve is tough enough for kids--it was even harder with five of us.

My brother and I got an Atari for Christmas that year. The Lexus people are right--it was bigtime. I remember my aunt and uncle got us Yar's Revenge (still pretty much the coolest videogame name ever), but they took the cartridge out of the box and wrapped it in a coffee can so we wouldn't know what it was.

Finally, it was a white Christmas that year, the first one that I had known. Overall, it was just a great Christmas.

OUstud
12/24/2008, 12:54 PM
2000, when my parents surprised me and my siblings with Orange Bowl tickets. I think we may have woken the neighbors on that one :D .

LoyalFan
12/24/2008, 01:06 PM
I started a new tradition this year where I start a thread on a message board, and only crickets visit.

Ho, Ho, Holy crap you guys suck!

So, how about a linky. Sounds like a nice quiet place where I can catch a nap after looking after Pinocchio all day.
Thanks in advance,

Jiminy C.
c/o Disney Studios

Turd_Ferguson
12/24/2008, 01:12 PM
You know what I got for Christmas? Oh, it was a banner ****ing year at the old Bender family. I got a carton of cigarettes. The old man grabbed me and said, "Hey, smoke up Johnny." Alright? So go home and cry to your Daddy. Don't cry here, okay?

:D:D

stoops the eternal pimp
12/24/2008, 01:23 PM
You know what I got for Christmas? Oh, it was a banner ****ing year at the old Bender family. I got a carton of cigarettes. The old man grabbed me and said, "Hey, smoke up Johnny." Alright? So go home and cry to your Daddy. Don't cry here, okay?

:D:D

Stupid, worthless, no good, goddamn, freeloading son of a bitch. Retarded, big mouth, know-it-all, *******, jerk. You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful. Shut up bitch. Go fix me a turkey pot pie. No dad, what about you? **** you. No dad, what about you? **** you. Dad, what about you? **** you.

LoyalFan
12/24/2008, 01:57 PM
Oh, there are myriad warm memories of Christmas in the cobwebbed archives of this old man's recall. An especially poignant one is of spending the Eve in a small motel, somewhere on the road from Tennessee to NYC. We were on the way to take ship for the Panama Canal Zone (Damn you to Hell, Jimmah Cahtah!) where we were to spend the next three-point-five happy years.
Mom and Dad were determined to somehow make it happen and so, on Christmas Morn, I awoke to find a tiny tree, brave in little decorations and miniscule lights, with a neat set of real METAL toy soldiers drawn up in orderly ranks, a toy tank (the future foretold!), and a dandy little recorder instrument upon which I played lustily for hours until Dad threatened to defenestrate same from the window of our new and baby blue Old's 98 (1951).
My dad, then an Artillery major, was not a man to trifle with, so I ceased my artistic endeavor.

My absolute favorite:
The Christmas before the Great Panama Adventure began we were living in Clarksville TN, Home of Acme Boots! Dad made the nice commute to Fort Campbell KY (Home of THE jelly? Nahhhh.) each work day and we lived in a nice rented home, high on a hill studded with Hickory trees (Yum nuts!) and Persimmon trees (Schweet!). There was to be a white christmas, lotsa great chow, and there was a long hill behind our semi-rural home that was my personal sledding venue.
As it happened there was a small hobby shop in Clarksville, run by a slightly mildewed old chap who often looked after me when my parents were doing their Saturday downtown run. The place was a wonderland of model trains, ships, etc, but the main attraction was the plethora of gorgeous model aircraft that perched on shelves and hung from the ceiling, trapped in perpetual flight, going nowhere except straight to my awed heart.
On the previous two Christmases Santa had caused some already-built models to make landings 'neath our tree and I adored them. These models, by the way, were painstakingly constructed, from kits, by a young black man who labored unseen in the small workshop in the rear of the store...anonymous, rarely seen. His models were in much demand by adults and children alike and sometimes it saddens me to think of how little he must have been paid.
Anyway, for months I'd been eying a lovely model of the Navy's famous F4U Corsair fighter (You know, like in "Black Sheep Squadron".) I just knew that sufficient hints had been dropped to assure that Dad had reserved that beauty for ME! I already had the P51 Mustang, the F6F Grumman Hellcat, the P38 Lightning, the RAF's Spitfire, and a smattering of other WW2 birds (Jets? Schmets! Gimme propellers, screaming Merlins, thundering Pratt&Whitneys, or gimme death!)
Christmas arrived, as you know it must, and there were gifts aplenty 'neath the towering spruce...all manner of toys and a Daisy BB gunl Not the pedestrian Red Ryder Model so coveted by Ralphie, but the refined pump-action model I had long desired.
After duly offering thanks for each gift in turn I sought the Corsair. "Hmmmm. Dad's gonna do his 'Oh, almost forgot. This landed on the back porch as I was in the kitchen.' and present the longed-for warbird to me. Nope. No trace.
"OK", thought I, "He's really gonna make me sweat. I'm a patient sort."
I busied myself with actually READING the booklet that came with the Daisy and pouring a liberal dose of BBs into the magazine. I dressed warmly and was about to step out onto the elevated back porch to test fire the weapon when the doorbell rang. I opened it and there stood Donald, the pudgy and pasty-faced son of a neighbor, two years my senior but light years behind me in all other respects.
"Look what I got!" he yelled, holding up....MY Corsair!
To this day I wonder how I so suddenly turned into a vicious killer but somehow I saw red, lots of red, and hissed through gritted teeth, "You sonovabitch!" as I raised the Daisy.
Donald managed to turn and snow-plow about ten feet when the first round impacted the left wing of the Corsair. The second round struck him in his left bew-tock, the third on the back of his head.
Epilogue: I was thoroughly thrashed. I had to make a formal apology to that cheeseball and his family (his dad later told me I was his hero. Go figure!), and my measly pittance of two bux per week was forfeit until a new Corsair rolled off the assembly line for delivery to Donald. Now the bastadge had two!
I didn't see the Daisy again until we got to Panama.

Merry Christmas, and thanks for reading this and sharing yours!

LF

BigRedJed
12/24/2008, 03:49 PM
When I was about 6 or 7, I woke up with pinkeye, which (painfully) crusted my eyes completely shut.

BigRedJed
12/24/2008, 03:49 PM
Wait. I thought this was the "worst Christmas memory as a kid" thread.

StoopTroup
12/24/2008, 03:58 PM
I was 5 years older than my next Brother and 9 older than my younger Brother and 12 older than my Sister. Around 8 or 9, I remember going downstairs early to see what my little Bro had gotten and what I was getting from Santa. At that point I had no idea I was going to have to put up with sharing all my cool stuff as I got older. I think that was the Christmas before things really changed. Around 13...I was Santa's helper and it became very cool to help Santa keep it alive for my Brothers and Sisters. It's no different now that my own kids are now 10 and 6.

Right now...these times are even more special to me than when I was Santa's Helper.

God Bless you all!

ST

Chuck Bao
12/24/2008, 04:19 PM
1981 Orange Bowl tickets.

OUHOMER
12/24/2008, 05:40 PM
I dont like sentimental threads like this. Too be honest I dont recall a Christmas as a kid that was all that great. Pretty sad actually. Dont get me wrong,we were so poor and didnt have much and when we would go to other family members house for the big dinner and things. The cousins would rub their spoils in our face and such. Than one of the adults would say something to my mom like.

You know if you would have done this or that you could have done better etc etc.

we would leave go home, Mom all upset and all. made me wonder why we went every year.

Now I just try and spoil my own kids and wife. And I dont go to my aunts house for Christmas and she always wonders why.

Sorry for being a debbie downer

Chuck Bao
12/24/2008, 11:32 PM
OUHOMER, a lot of us didn’t have that perfect Christmas or have that perfect Christmas memory and I don’t think it mattered then or it should matter much now.

But please spoil your kids. I can imagine that it is more fun for you than for them.

My family was poor too. We didn’t have the rich cousins so I didn’t really realize that we were poor.

I remember being asked in kindergarten what I wanted Santa to bring me and I couldn’t think of a single thing. I said I wanted a bell and that was only because I had just colored with my crayons an outline of a Christmas bell. Of course, the kindergarten teacher had our Christmas wish list published in the local weekly newspaper, everyone in town could read that I wanted Santa to bring me a bell. Talk about ghey.

My best pre-holiday memories are of my sister and me going up into the north pasture to find, chop down and drag back a Christmas tree. The tree never fit into the house and we’d spend a while sawing it down and the limbs and then discovering that it still didn’t fit into the house. We never caught on to the fact that dragging it back home would have been easier if we'd either sawed parts off first or simply selected a smaller tree.

My worst memories are of my dad getting totally feed up with the holiday crap and making us all go up to the north pasture to watch him fell a few trees, haul the wood to the pickup truck and spending the rest of the afternoon splitting logs and stacking it. This was our holiday tradition.

I do have another good Christmas memory. About age 12, I wanted a 10-speed bike. My dad was like nawwww, what’s the point of a 10-speed bike since we live on a gravel road. The tires are too narrow and you aren’t going racing. But, I got a note in a wrapped box to go down to one of the barns and found my 10-speed bike.

I do have a bad Christmas memory. A couple years later, I got a motorbike, given to me a few days before Christmas. It had snowed about a foot and my dad decided to go hunting in the north pasture on Christmas day. On the way, his pickup slid off into a canyon. He was in a pretty foul mood by the time he walked back to the house. His idea was to take our 10-wheel wheat truck to drag the pickup out. The 10-wheel truck didn’t make it very far. Despite the number of wheels, it wasn’t loaded down with wheat and I don’t think 10 wheels helped at all. Anyway, all ten wheels spun. I got out. My dad put it in reverse. I fell down in the snow trying to follow and the truck ran backwards over an electricity pole, knocking it down and the electricity to my house. My dad had to walk home again and this time in an even fouler mood. My new motorcycle was no longer mine for another week and I was grounded.

It’s pretty funny thinking about it now. Yeah, that’s my best (most memorable) Christmas.

Boomer Mooner
12/24/2008, 11:35 PM
We always went to my Grandparents dairy farm outside Marlow. My cousins were there and we would open presents after the evening milking on Christmas Eve. I am a very blessed man to have those memories.

Boomer Mooner
12/24/2008, 11:39 PM
Funny Chuck, I got a 3 speed bike one year and had a note to go to the barn and get it. I forgot all about it until reading your post. Had one of those goofy *** horns with the big rubber bulb you squeezed to honk it and a tall skinny fiberglass rod with a little flag on the top of it.

Damn it was Ghey, and all I wanted was a .22. My cousin, who was a year younger than me, got a Marlin .22. I rode the wheels off that bike though.

oumartin
12/24/2008, 11:50 PM
I always treasured the one where my mom and dad were talkin' about getting back together up to the point where he threw her against the washing machine and pulled the gun on her.

no joke(the story, not me treasuring it)

OUthunder
12/25/2008, 02:26 AM
http://www.amarketplaceofideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/16-inch-big-wheel-tricycle.jpg

oumartin
12/25/2008, 02:31 AM
big wheel is nice no doubt.

how about the original stretch armstrong. or the plastic godzilla with the firey toungue you could make come out with the lever on the back of his head.

OUthunder
12/25/2008, 02:32 AM
big wheel is nice no doubt.

how about the original stretch armstrong. or the plastic godzilla with the firey toungue you could make come out with the lever on the back of his head.

Stretch Armstrong was the bomb. My doosh older sister ripped his arms off and I beat her *** for it.:D

oumartin
12/25/2008, 02:36 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3235/3135089096_4f570a72f8_o.jpg

ya know they came out with another stretch armstrong about a decade ago but it wasn't as good as the original

Tulsa_Fireman
12/25/2008, 02:41 AM
Best Christmas ever = this one.

My brother and I have been getting each other stupid gifts for the past few years now. He's a volunteer in McLoud, so I bought him a bunch of those gay fireman t-shirts, one with flames that look like a dragon, one that says, "You can't FORCE me to save hot chicks, I'm a VOLUNTEER!", stuff like that. He responded surprisingly that same year with a fireman doll, Barbie's piece on the side when Ken's out shopping for sweater vests. But THIS year... This year I got him dead to rights.

The 2009 Tulsa Metro Firefighter's Calendar (yes, the one with half-naked firemen in it). A 'Dancing With The Stars' workout DVD. And a bottle of baby oil.

He better bring his A-game this year.

oumartin
12/25/2008, 02:50 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3238/3134285547_164eea81cd_o.jpg

oumartin
12/25/2008, 02:55 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3229/3134292087_93bd26a21a_o.jpg

olevetonahill
12/25/2008, 03:17 AM
My 1st Toy , I was so Happy .
http://www.buriedinthenoise.com/imgs/stick11.jpg
and a
http://jason0592.win.mofcom.gov.cn/www/25%5Cjason0592%5Cimg%5C2008414183013.jpg

LoyalFan
12/25/2008, 09:41 AM
My 1st Toy , I was so Happy .
http://www.buriedinthenoise.com/imgs/stick11.jpg
and a
http://jason0592.win.mofcom.gov.cn/www/25%5Cjason0592%5Cimg%5C2008414183013.jpg

You damned well better be kidding. ATanker's tears can corrode a keyboard beyond repair.
Merry Christmas, Brother.

LF
AKA "Lancer6"

SouthFortySooner
12/25/2008, 09:54 AM
I got the "Tiger Joe", a tank with a control attatched by a wire. Drove it next door where the neighbor kid had one also. His dad who was a competetive (insert explicative) said, " put em head to head to see which is stronger".

Even after drivin over there mine pushed his backwards on the driveway!!!!!!

the butthole walked inside without a word :D :D :D

thenotman
12/25/2008, 10:23 AM
When my parents went Christmas shopping and I was about 10 or 11 and my hot babysitter who was about 16 let me suck her breasts. Won't ever be beat.

Turd_Ferguson
12/25/2008, 11:28 AM
When my parents went Christmas shopping and I was about 10 or 11 and my hot babysitter who was about 16 let me suck his breasts. Won't ever be beat.:eek: