PDA

View Full Version : DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS ???

gatorsownu2
12/24/2008, 07:57 AM
Just sayin ................................. thats what I've heard.
(DISCUSS) here

:pop:

Desert Sapper
12/24/2008, 08:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksnstko_Wn8&feature=related

gatorsownu2
12/24/2008, 08:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksnstko_Wn8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IQShWogLzw

8timechamps
12/24/2008, 08:13 AM
A youtube slap fight...good times.

gatorsownu2
12/24/2008, 08:17 AM
A youtube slap fight...good times.

Better than being an outsider looking in ..............whorns,semis, dawgs:D

Desert Sapper
12/24/2008, 08:40 AM
http://newsok.com/sooner-defense-takes-out-nebraska-early/article/3318476

Sorry, if reading isn't good enough, the video is about midway down the page. 3 turnovers in 5 minutes.

Mark_in_Tulsa
12/24/2008, 08:55 AM
Defense does win championships, we know because we have a handful of them.

But you are right. Luckily this will be one of the easier offenses for us to stop. I think the most one dimensional offense we will see yet. I mean it's a good offense, but nothing tougher than what we see regularly.

cheezyq
12/24/2008, 09:03 AM
No, no, no. Track speed wins championships. See, the NCAA and the BCS decided that traditional college football was too long and complicated. So for this year's MNC, they are simply going to line up everyone at one endzone and have them race to the other end. The team with the fastest player is the one that wins.

gatorsownu2
12/24/2008, 09:10 AM
Defense does win championships, we know because we have a handful of them.

But you are right. Luckily this will be one of the easier offenses for us to stop. I think the most one dimensional offense we will see yet. I mean it's a good offense, but nothing tougher than what we see regularly.

I don't think the offense is tougher necessarily either. Just the man running it and the playmakers around him. We had good offenses in 96, and 06 but so did the other team. The difference turned out to be the D

gatorsownu2
12/24/2008, 09:16 AM
No, no, no. Track speed wins championships. See, the NCAA and the BCS decided that traditional college football was too long and complicated. So for this year's MNC, they are simply going to line up everyone at one endzone and have them race to the other end. The team with the fastest player is the one that wins.

Great than, I think we will probably win that one:D ............... but I'd rather just play some football.

Soonermagik
12/24/2008, 09:30 AM
You do make a good point. I remember hearing people say the same thing when we played Tech. Our defense has come alive several times in big situations to shut down good teams.

Really, if you look at it, a lot of the points OU has given up has been in the last quarter with a huge lead. I guess you could say they have given up some garbage touchdowns.

IMHO, I'm not sure if Florida has played a legit offense that has really tested their defense.

G8trGr8t
12/24/2008, 09:44 AM
You do make a good point. I remember hearing people say the same thing when we played Tech. Our defense has come alive several times in big situations to shut down good teams.

Really, if you look at it, a lot of the points OU has given up has been in the last quarter with a huge lead. I guess you could say they have given up some garbage touchdowns.

IMHO, I'm not sure if Florida has played a legit offense that has really tested their defense.

UF played 6 of the top 50 scoring offenses but Oklahoma will be the biggest test to date. Look forward to seeing how our defensive backfield and lb's match up with your passing game. If UT could slow down OU with the 50th ranked defense, I suspect the 9th ranked defense may be able to have some success too.

UF. like OU, gave up points in garbage time or the defense would be ranked even higher. They went 6 games without giving up a TD on the first string guys.

SoonerTerry
12/24/2008, 09:49 AM
I remember a play in the CCG where OUr D rushed 2 down lineman and still got the sack. ... man great times.

JGATOR
12/24/2008, 10:02 AM

Mark, you have not seen UF play much if you truly believe that. What is the one dimension? I'll help you put things in perspective:

UF Rushing Yards
2,987 for the season
229.8 per game
6 per attempt

UF Passing Yards
2,764 for the season
212.6 per game
14.3 per catch, the same per catch as OU cooincidentally

OUDoc
12/24/2008, 10:04 AM
UF played 6 of the top 50 scoring offenses
So SEC defenses suck? ;)

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/24/2008, 10:07 AM
UF played 6 of the top 50 scoring offenses but Oklahoma will be the biggest test to date. Look forward to seeing how our defensive backfield and lb's match up with your passing game. If UT could slow down OU with the 50th ranked defense, I suspect the 9th ranked defense may be able to have some success too.

UF. like OU, gave up points in garbage time or the defense would be ranked even higher. They went 6 games without giving up a TD on the first string guys.

6 of the top 50 offenses? When those 6 are in the 40's and 30's, it doesn't carry much weight. Play some top 10 offenses, then look at the results.:rolleyes:

OUAlumni1990
12/24/2008, 10:09 AM
Just look at the '85 an '00 championships....the common denominator was outstanding defense performances.

CrimsonJim
12/24/2008, 10:17 AM

Sorry, if reading isn't good enough, the video is about midway down the page. 3 turnovers in 5 minutes.

The direct link to the video is below:

http://feeds.newsok.tv/services/link/bcpid1766638491/bctid1892845442

CrimsonJim
12/24/2008, 10:26 AM

The direct link to the video is below:

http://feeds.newsok.tv/services/link/bcpid1766638491/bctid1892845442

boomermagic
12/24/2008, 10:31 AM
I have always said DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS but,

We are living in a new day and time in College football where offenses are taking charge.. Besides, I have NEVER seen a team win a championship with a BAD offense either..

PhiDeltBeers
12/24/2008, 10:32 AM

Bradford had 5 td tosses in that game. We scored 35 points matching our season low. If that's the worst we did all year.......

that's not too shabby.

8timechamps
12/24/2008, 10:34 AM
So SEC defenses suck? ;)

Haven't we talked about the winky thing?

Only when you're kidding! Jeez!

Desert Sapper
12/24/2008, 10:39 AM

Hmmm...OU has played 2 of the top 5 scoring Os in the country, 4 of the top 10, and 7 of the top 20. Not a single team UF has played is in the top 20. The highest scoring O you've faced all year was UGA (#29), and they rank below KU (#27). Let's get real.

Desert Sapper
12/24/2008, 10:41 AM
And to be fair, UT doesn't have the 50th best D. They have the 20th best D (http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2008&rpt=IA_teamscordef&site=org), which is better than 2/3 of the opponents UF has faced.

Okie35
12/24/2008, 10:55 AM
only reason why defense wins championship is because if it was a tight game it would only take 1 stop to win it... say if its a back and forth game and that one stop helps another team win... personally i think the whole "defense wins championships" is a bit overrated... you score a lot of points you can afford to take a play or two off... i wouldn't recommend it but still

G8trGr8t
12/24/2008, 11:13 AM
6 of the top 50 offenses? When those 6 are in the 40's and 30's, it doesn't carry much weight. Play some top 10 offenses, then look at the results.:rolleyes:

Old arguement.

Are the Big 12 offenses that good or are the Big 12 defenses that bad?

Are the SEC defenses that good or are the SEC offenses that bad?

Probably a little of both but I guess we will find out, just not soon enough for me.:)

If you look at the Big 12 OOC games, there were a lot of points scored on the Big 12, if that makes a difference.

Wake put 41 on Baylor, 23 on Vanderbilt

FSU put 39 on Colorado, 15 on UF

South Florida hung 37 on Kansas

Louisville 38 on K State, 2 on Kentucky

Illinios 42 against Missouri

Va Tech 35 on Nebraska

Houston 37 on Ok State

Miami 41 on A & M, 3 against UF

I guess it all means nothing on Jan. 8th but it is something to talk about.

cheezyq
12/24/2008, 11:20 AM
You want to know what wins championships? Scoring more points than your opponent....however you accomplish that doesn't matter.

The 2000 Rams had the most prolific offense in NFL history (at that time), and an average defense...they still won it all. The Ravens had a fantastic defense and an offense that was just horrible, yet still won a championship. There are plenty of teams that had a mix of the two.

homerSimpsonsBrain
12/24/2008, 11:50 AM
Good grief. Can we just play the freaking game.. Somebody get Bob and Urban together and move the game up to this Saturday.

Bourbon St Sooner
12/24/2008, 11:58 AM
Old arguement.

Are the Big 12 offenses that good or are the Big 12 defenses that bad?

Are the SEC defenses that good or are the SEC offenses that bad?

Probably a little of both but I guess we will find out, just not soon enough for me.:)

If you look at the Big 12 OOC games, there were a lot of points scored on the Big 12, if that makes a difference.

Va Tech 35 on Nebraska

Houston 37 on Ok State

I guess it all means nothing on Jan. 8th but it is something to talk about.

Arkansas scored 10 on texass, but averaged 23 against those great SEC defenses.

Troy scored 31 on LSU and only 24 on OSU.

MojoRisen
12/24/2008, 11:59 AM
Urban needs the full 3 weeks to be ready....

SoonerSon
12/24/2008, 12:17 PM
....and lest we not forget that OU hung 35 on TCU, the #2 defense in the country, who put on a defensive case study against undefeated BSU last night.

boomersooner24
12/24/2008, 01:37 PM
Defense does win championships..but the best defense is a strong offense

KingDavid
12/24/2008, 01:41 PM
Arkansas scored 10 on texass, but averaged 23 against those great SEC defenses.

Troy scored 31 on LSU and only 24 on OSU.

Furthermore, regarding Arkansas:

On 9/27/08, the Longhorns (a pathetic Big XII defense, right?) held the Razorbacks to 12 first downs and only 191 yards.

A week later, on 10/4/08, those same Razorbacks gashed the Gators for 21 first downs and 361 total yards.

And a week after that, the Sooners had 20 first downs and 435 total yards against the Longhorns.

Who knows, maybe there were mitigating factors - maybe homefield advantage makes that much of difference?

I just think it's downright silly to think that OU is going to encounter something wholly better and faster than what they've already seen. The Big XII offenses vs. the SEC offenses are the story in the differences between the conferences. The Defenses are not all that different.

I really, truly believe that Florida is in for a real surprise on both sides of the ball. Sooners by three touchdowns or more . . . by the end of the first half. Believe it.

BoomerSooner, esq.
12/24/2008, 01:45 PM
I dont care what UF's defense is ranked. They have never seen a multi-faceted offense like OUrs. We have proven all season that if a team focuses on stopping our running game, Sam will rip a defense apart. If they want to focus on stopping Sam, there are two great backs that will run right down their throats. OUr defense can slow the UF down enough. Can UFs defense stop the the greatest offense of all time???? We'll see.

FlatheadSooner
12/24/2008, 02:07 PM
Defense does win championships..but the best defense is a strong offense

Not to be offensive, but aren't you getting a little defensive?

;)

Desert Sapper
12/24/2008, 02:38 PM

Va Tech 35 on Nebraska

Houston 37 on Ok State

South Florida is a 'top 50' Offense. Heh.

Houston is a top 10 O (coached by former Sooner receivers coach Kevin Sumlin).

Baylor, Colorado, K-State, and aTm are four of the five (Iowa State) teams from the Big XII that did NOT make the bowls.

Let's look at the SEC teams that didn't:

Tennessee - Lost to Wyoming (held to 7 points)
Auburn - Scored 3 points on Miss St (and won?)
Arkansas - Nearly lost to Western Illinois and ULM to start a brilliant non-con (only real game was against UT and they gave up 52 points - the most they gave up all season)
Miss St - lost to La Tech?

SoonerBacker
12/24/2008, 03:05 PM
And KU beat La Tech 29-0.

Mark_in_Tulsa
12/24/2008, 04:22 PM
Mark, you have not seen UF play much if you truly believe that. What is the one dimension? I'll help you put things in perspective:

UF Rushing Yards
2,987 for the season
229.8 per game
6 per attempt

UF Passing Yards
2,764 for the season
212.6 per game
14.3 per catch, the same per catch as OU cooincidentally

The one dimension is only 8 teams pass the ball less than you guys per game. While yes you pass well when you do it, but forcing you to throw the ball more will be to our advantage.

SimpleBrent
12/24/2008, 05:51 PM

"Coming alive" against a QB that looks like he's running in mud does not equate to success against a QB that's fast. Please note WV and OSU just in case you've suffered selective amnesia. Also note the incredibly poor performance given by our spectacular D in each of those games. Apparently they forgot to "come alive". It's been a running theme for a long time now. Enjoy the 65th ranked defense in the nation.

OK2LA
12/24/2008, 08:21 PM
Besides, I have NEVER seen a team win a championship with a BAD offense either..

Baltimore Ravens?

Trent Dilfer has a Super Bowl ring.

tm250
12/24/2008, 09:09 PM
Hopefully Sammy and the boys can make that Gator D look average, and the Sooner D can step up get some stops or maybe a turn over....

Either way, I just hope its not a blowout.......

Circle City Gator
12/24/2008, 10:16 PM
Good grief. Can we just play the freaking game.. Somebody get Bob and Urban together and move the game up to this Saturday.

Yeah, what he said.

boomermagic
12/25/2008, 12:39 AM
Baltimore Ravens?

Trent Dilfer has a Super Bowl ring.

I thought we were talking about College football National Championships.. I was.. Are we playing in the super Bowl ? WOW !

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/25/2008, 01:44 AM
Well Florida will be playing in the Super Bowl, they have 8 players with G6 speed...The Pittsburgh Steelers...none