PDA

View Full Version : No Huddle Offense...

Readyfor8
12/23/2008, 09:56 PM
OK so I have a quiz, we know that 5 of the top 8 offenses are in the Big XII, those stats are based on scoring. But of the 5 teams that are ranked in the top 8 how many of those are running a no huddle offense? the answer is all of them.

Now the tough part:

Question 1) How many no huddle offenses has Florida played this year?

Question 2) How many of the top 25 offenses are running no huddle offenses? http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/stats/teamsort/NCAAF/SCORING

My theory is that the no huddle offenses are scoring more points than average, help me prove my theory... :D

cheezyq
12/23/2008, 10:12 PM
I just wonder what you're going to name yourself on Jan 9th.

LOL, never mind....just looked at your location. ;)

no1g8r
12/24/2008, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the link. I was trying to figure out what sort of comparisons that one could do with it, when I remembered the "plays per point" comparison.

OU tops the Big 12 with 1.48 plays per point, which is pretty impressive.

The rest of the Big 12 come in like this:

Missouri 1.62 plays per point
Oklahoma State 1.64 plays per point
Texas 1.65 plays per point
Texas Tech 1.70 plays per point
Nebraska 1.95 plays per point
Kansas State 1.99 plays per point
Kansas 2.25 plays per point
Baylor 2.30 plays per point
Texas A&M 2.59 plays per point
Iowa State 2.77 plays per point
Colorado 3.48 plays per point

In related news, Florida averages 1.36 plays per point :)

KingDavid
12/24/2008, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the link. I was trying to figure out what sort of comparisons that one could do with it, when I remembered the "plays per point" comparison.

In related news, Florida's average plays/point doesn't matter since they play in a vastly inferior league filled with archaic offenses and untested defenses. :)

FIXED.

Readyfor8
12/24/2008, 01:09 PM
The thing is not a single team this year has been able to keep OU out of the endzone with defense alone, the Texas D did the best but keep in mind that their offense and not their defense is what kept OU out of the endzone.

A no huddle offense will keep your defense on it's heels, so how many have the Gators faced, or is this something completely new to them? Can you really run clock control offense? And can the Gators keep the intensity up on Defense when we run nearly double the plays most offenses run in a single game?

Tiger6
12/24/2008, 01:23 PM
OU's "plays per point" is skewed drastically. You have to remember the games that were blowouts (about 3/4 of the time) we had the brakes on in the 3rd quarter. If I remember correctly, there was a stretch of like 4 games of where we only threw the ball a total of 6 times combined in the 4th quarter. If OU is full throttle, OU's play-per-point avg. drops significantly.

PhiDeltBeers
12/24/2008, 02:09 PM

In related news, Florida averages 1.36 plays per point :)

LIVE BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

Florida scores a point minute and 20 sec.

Oklahoma scores a point every minute and 5 sec.

MichiganSooner
12/24/2008, 02:33 PM
Will the speed of Florida be able to keep up with OU's no huddle, fast-break offense? Or will they be bending at the wasit trying to catch their breath?

catsigater
12/24/2008, 05:38 PM
You have to remember the games that were blowouts (about 3/4 of the time) we had the brakes on in the 3rd quarter. If I remember correctly, there was a stretch of like 4 games of where we only threw the ball a total of 6 times combined in the 4th quarter.

Stop with the "we were coasting in the blowouts" refrain.

You had 5 games against D-1 teams you won by more than 30. We had 6. And you sure weren't coasting in the 4th against MU.

If OU is full throttle, OU's play-per-point avg. drops significantly.

We can say the same.

Your average margin of victory was 29.5. UF's was 32.4. UF had as many opportunities to coast as OU did.

Readyfor8
12/24/2008, 06:26 PM

You had 5 games against D-1 teams you won by more than 30. We had 6. And you sure weren't coasting in the 4th against MU.

We can say the same.

Your average margin of victory was 29.5. UF's was 32.4. UF had as many opportunities to coast as OU did.

We also played a much tougher schedule, but as a Gator (notice I capitalize, i try not to do name smack on message boards because I respect our opponents) I want to ask you.

How many no huddle offenses have you faced? I think our defense is going to get a break playing against your offense, more time to set up a defensive play, more time to take breaks and breath, and more time to get calls from the sideline.

Your defense however is in for a marathon, I think they will keep up, but i think at the end of the day this is going to be a challenge you haven't faced all year. What do you think?

JLEW1818
12/24/2008, 06:29 PM
All Oklahoma does is run the score up on people

catsigater
12/24/2008, 07:47 PM
We also played a much tougher schedule, but as a Gator (notice I capitalize, i try not to do name smack on message boards because I respect our opponents) I want to ask you.

How many no huddle offenses have you faced? I think our defense is going to get a break playing against your offense, more time to set up a defensive play, more time to take breaks and breath, and more time to get calls from the sideline.

Your defense however is in for a marathon, I think they will keep up, but i think at the end of the day this is going to be a challenge you haven't faced all year. What do you think?

I think you've named one of the things that are causing our coaches sleepless nights.

SoonerBacker
12/24/2008, 09:02 PM

We can say the same.

Looking ONLY at the final margin of victory doesn't really tell us anything about who was "taking their foot off the gas" in the second half. It sort of depends on WHEN those points were scored. Let's try something else. Let's compare scores against all D-1 teams at the half, at the end of the 3rd, and then show the final score of the game.

We'll start with your Gators:

Opp. Half End of 3rd Final

Hawaii 28-0 56-0 56-10

Miami(FL) 9-0 9-0 26-3

Tenn 20-0 27-0 30-6

Ole Miss 17-7 17-24 30-31

Ark 14-0 17-7 38-7

LSU 20-7 34-14 51-21

Kent 42-3 56-3 63-5

UGA 14-3 35-3 49-10

Vandy 35-0 42-7 42-14

SCar 28-3 42-6 56-6

FSU 28-9 38-15 45-15

Bama 17-10 17-20 31-20

Now for the SOONERS:

Opp. Half End of 3rd Final

Cincinatti 21-13 42-20 52-26

Wash 33-0 47-7 55-14

TCU 28-3 35-3 35-10

Baylor 35-14 42-17 49-17

saxeT 21-20 28-30 35-45

Kansas 24-17 38-20 45-31

K-State 55-28 55-35 58-35

Nebraska 49-14 62-21 62-28

TA&M 38-14 66-21 66-28

TTech 42-7 58-14 65-21

oSu 21-13 37-26 61-41

Mizzou 38-7 41-14 62-21

This, combined with some basic math, shows that UF scored 47.5% of their total points this season in the second half.

Oklahoma, on the other hand, scored 37.2% of their total points in the second half this season.

IF, as you claim, UF had just as many opportunities to coast as the SOONERS did, why did you score almost 1/2 of your points in the second half?

Guess we've discovered who was really running up the scores this year. ;) ;)

catsigater
12/24/2008, 09:16 PM
IF, as you claim, UF had just as many opportunities to coast as the SOONERS did, why did you score almost 1/2 of your points in the second half?

Guess we've discovered who was really running up the scores this year. ;) ;)

A better indicator would be 4th quarter points scored in blowouts (won by 30 or more points).

Knock yourself out.

SoonerBacker
12/24/2008, 09:46 PM
A better indicator would be 4th quarter points scored in blowouts (won by 30 or more points).

Knock yourself out.

Let's see. I provided the scores at the end of the 3rd quarter and the final score of the game. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out. ;)

UF won 8 games by 30 or more.. They scored a combined 80 4th quarter points in those games. On 4 occassions, the Gators scored 14 or more points in the 4th.

OU won 7 games by 30 or more. They scored a combined 53 points in those games. 21 of those 53 came in the CCG. I agree that we did not take the foot off gas in that game. In the other 6 games, the most we scored in the 4th was 10.

MojoRisen
12/24/2008, 10:01 PM
THis is one game they are preparing for the intensity, however I am not sure they are psychologically ready for having to give their best shot and still get scored on - it can be demoralizing for them.

Circle City Gator
12/24/2008, 10:13 PM
Let's see. I provided the scores at the end of the 3rd quarter and the final score of the game. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out. ;)

UF won 8 games by 30 or more.. They scored a combined 80 4th quarter points in those games. On 4 occassions, the Gators scored 14 or more points in the 4th.

OU won 7 games by 30 or more. They scored a combined 53 points in those games. 21 of those 53 came in the CCG. I agree that we did not take the foot off gas in that game. In the other 6 games, the most we scored in the 4th was 10.

So you're saying our second team is better than your second team? :P

SoonerBoognish
12/24/2008, 10:19 PM
I remember TCU having tons of mental mistakes, with penalties(tons of offsides) and positioning and whatnot early in the game. Maybe the extra time to prepare will mitigate that, or a different approach, i dont know. All it tells me is that a quality defense struggled with something OU's offense did, whether it was the pace or something else.

SoonerBacker
12/25/2008, 12:33 AM
So you're saying our second team is better than your second team? :P

No. What I'm saying is that Tebow & Co were in some of these games a lot deeper into the 4th quarter than Bradford was for the Sooners. Why? Because the UF games in question were generally closer going into the 4th quarter than the Sooner games were. The Gators had 4 games where they had leads of 10 or fewer points heading into the 4th (Miami, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Bama). Oklahoma had 1 (texa$$).

Bradford sat out the equivalent of something like 2 games this season during the second half of our games because of the big leads we had. Any idea how many minutes Tebow was on the bench in the second half?

catsigater
12/25/2008, 02:07 AM
Bradford sat out the equivalent of something like 2 games this season during the second half of our games because of the big leads we had. Any idea how many minutes Tebow was on the bench in the second half?

I keep hearing this, but Tebow sat out quite a bit of time also. Looking at their backups stats, it appears they both ran a similar number of plays. I can't find minutes played for the backups, but that's the only number that has value in the above argument.

Until either side can produce it this is all just hooey.

And how long was Bradford on the bench against MU again?

SoonerBacker
12/25/2008, 02:41 AM
I keep hearing this, but Tebow sat out quite a bit of time also. Looking at their backups stats, it appears they both ran a similar number of plays. I can't find minutes played for the backups, but that's the only number that has value in the above argument.

Until either side can produce it this is all just hooey.

And how long was Bradford on the bench against MU again?

I already conceded that the Sooners kept the petal to the metal in that game. There WAS an NCAA record to be had. You tellin me that UF wouldn't have done the same thing if a record was at stake? Heck, I know for a fact that Tebow was in the LSU game with 4:48 left to play and the game was WELL in hand by then. (No NCAA record to be had, either.)

From rivals.com: 4th Quarter

Florida - 4:48
1st-10, Fla46 4:48 J. Demps rushed to the right for 39 yard gain
1st-10, LSU21 4:48 T. Tebow passed to A. Hernandez down the middle for 1 yard gain

And I don't know about the Gators, but I do know that it is hard to say how you are going to measure time played by backups. For example, our starting running back didn't play at all (except for a kickoff return) against MU. We had our second and third team running backs in all game long. We rotate our players a lot.

catsigater
12/25/2008, 02:56 AM
Here are the last scores from Bradford in 5 of the 6 games against D-1 opponents in which Halzle accumulated any stats.

Washington 03:25 3rd Jermaine Gresham 64 Yd Pass From Sam Bradford (Jimmy Stevens Kick) 48 7

TCU TD 05:38 3rd Manuel Johnson 63 Yd Pass From Sam Bradford (Jimmy Stevens Kick) 3 35

NU TD 00:44 3rd[B] Demarco Murray 25 Yd Pass From Sam Bradford (Pat Blocked) 21 62

[B]A&M TD 06:23 3rd Juaquin Iglesias 37 Yd Pass From Sam Bradford (Jimmy Stevens Kick) 59 21

TTU TD 13:54 4th Ryan Broyles 26 Yd Pass From Sam Bradford (Jimmy Stevens Kick) 14 65

In all 5 Bradford played either deep into the 3rd quarter, or the 4th quarter. Please show me where he sat out 2 entire games worth of minutes.

In the 6th, Halzle had 3 attempts. Granted, you can't deduce minutes, but the fact's are in the other games, Bradford was in the games, well into the 3rd Q.

He was chuckin' against Wash. with a huge lead. Against TCU when you were up by 25 points in the third (nothing wrong with that, mind you). Against Neb with under a minute to go in the 3rd and he's throwing the ball up 55 to 21. Against A&M up 52-21 with over half the 3rd quarter gone and he's tossing the ball for a TD.

And against TTU, in the 4th up 58-14 and Sammy's in and throwing the ball.

Now before you get all silly, understand, I'm not criticizing your team for their obvious chase after style points. Everyone does it. I'm just trying to figure out how Bradford sat out 2 whole games worth of minutes when his backup didn't enter any of these game until at least half-way into the 3rd quarter.

He may have sat out around 4-1/2 quarters total (unless you really want to count the game against UT-C) and that's being generous. I just don't see that he sat out anywhere near 2 whole games.

I already conceded that the Sooners kept the petal to the metal in that game. There WAS an NCAA record to be had. You tellin me that UF wouldn't have done the same thing if a record was at stake? Heck, I know for a fact that Tebow was in the LSU game with 4:48 left to play and the game was WELL in hand by then. (No NCAA record to be had, either.)

The above is a red-herring. The point isn't who's running up the score, the point is your claim that Bradford sat out 2 games is not supported by the evidence.

From what I can see, he didn't sit out much more than Tebow, which was your argument in the first place.

ashley
12/25/2008, 08:26 AM
The number of TV timeouts will increase in the title game, maybe dramatically.
This has a chance to help the defense rest.

Circle City Gator
12/25/2008, 08:58 AM
No. What I'm saying is that Tebow & Co were in some of these games a lot deeper into the 4th quarter than Bradford was for the Sooners. Why? Because the UF games in question were generally closer going into the 4th quarter than the Sooner games were. The Gators had 4 games where they had leads of 10 or fewer points heading into the 4th (Miami, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Bama). Oklahoma had 1 (texa$$).

The problem with that is that you are speculating, while I actually watched the games.

Let's look shall we?

Bradford threw the ball 442 times, Halzle threw it 30. So Halzle threw the ball 6.3% of the time. That's not much, but it might be because you ran when you had the lead.

Tebow threw the ball 174 times, while his backups threw it 19 times, or 9.8% of the time, or 50% more han Oklahoma's backups. But Florida ran with the lead, too.

Against Chattanooga, your easiest game, Halzle threw his first pass at 5:09 of the second quarter.

Against Citadel, John Brantley threw his first pass at 5:14 of the second quarter.

Against Hawaii, Cam Newton, Florida's other backup QB, came into the game with about three minutes left in the third.

Brantley's first pass against Arkansas came with a bit over 3 minutes left in the game.

Brantley did not get any stats against LSU, because we stopped throwing completely, but it looks like Tebow came out midway through the fourth.

Brantley played the entire fourth quarter against Kentucky.

Brantley came in with 11 minutes left in the fourth against Georgia.

Brantley came in half-way through the third against Vanderbilt.

Brantley played the entire fourth quarter against South Carolina.

Brantley did not have many stats against FSU, but it looks like he came in with just two minutes off the clock in the fourth.

Okay, back to Oklahoma. I'm only looking at blow-out wins for both teams.

Against Texas Tech, Halzle came in two minutes into the fourth, similar to Brantley at FSU.

Halzle played the whole fourth against Washington, like Brantley at South Carolina.

Halzle's first pass against Nebraska came two imnutes into the fourth, sort of like Brantley at Georgia.

I can't tell when Halzle came in against Texas A&M, because his first pass was in the fourth, but Bradford's last stat was mid-way through the third. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume mid-way through the third, like Brantley at Vanderbilt.

Halzle came into the game with five minutes left against Baylor. That's two minutes earlier than Brantley against Arkansas, a minor difference just based on when the offense gets the ball.

Are you seeing a pattern here? The bottom line is that these are two pretty evenly matched teams once you take your home-team-colored glasses off, right down to when the second string QBs take the field.

SoonerBacker
12/25/2008, 09:10 AM
He may have sat out around 4-1/2 quarters total (unless you really want to count the game against UT-C) and that's being generous. I just don't see that he sat out anywhere near 2 whole games.

The above is a red-herring. The point isn't who's running up the score, the point is your claim that Bradford sat out 2 games is not supported by the evidence.

From what I can see, he didn't sit out much more than Tebow, which was your argument in the first place.

Report by Paul Anderson
Houston, TX
www.fannation.com/users/view_user_profile/610779

Here we go: Texas, Oklahoma, and Florida all had a bunch of blow-out games this year. Personally, I define a "blow-out" as a game that a team won by three touchdowns or more. Using that definition, Florida had 10 blow-out wins (in 13 games), Oklahoma had 10 blow-out wins (also in 13 games), and Texas had 9 blow-out wins (in 12 games). I don't count OU/OSU as a blow-out, because OU was only ahead by 3 points at the start of the 4th quarter.

See if you can answer these questions:

Q: Which of these three teams scored the most 4th quarter points during blow-out wins?
A: Florida.

In blow-outs, Florida scored 100 4th quarter points, Texas scored 86 4th quarter points, and Oklahoma only scored 55 4th quarter points - and yes, this total does include the OU/Missouri game.

Q: Which team's starting quarterback played the most full games?
Tim Tebow played 5 full games. Two of those were in blow-outs against Tennessee and LSU. In the LSU game, Tebow was running the offense for all of the 17 4th quarter points which drove the final score up to 51-21. Sam Bradford played 3 full games (Texas, OSU, and Mizzouri) - only one of those was a blow-out. Colt McCoy also played 3 full games, but none of those was a blow-out (OU, OSU, and Tech).

Q: Which QB sat for the least number of minutes?
A: Colt McCoy.

Colt sat for 120 minutes this season. Bradford sat for 125 minutes, and Tebow sat for 138 minutes (which includes sitting for almost 3 quarters of the Citadel game).

Q: Which starting QB scored the least 4th quarter points in blow-out games?

Colt drove the Texas offense to 34 4th quarter points in blow-outs. Bradford and Tebow both drove their offenses to 48 4th quarter points during blow-outs. If Bradford had not played the 4th quarter of the Big XII Championship game, his total would be 21 points lower, which would make the totals: Bradford - 27, McCoy - 34, Tebow - 48.

Q: In blow-outs, which team's 4th quarter scoring, as a percentage of its overall scoring, was half that of the two other teams?
A: Oklahoma.

Oklahoma scored 561 points during it's blow-out games, but only 10% of those points came in the 4th quarter. Florida (100/510) and Texas (86/421) both scored 20% of their total points (in blow-outs) during the 4th quarter.

Q: Which QB threw the most touchdown passes during the 4th quarter of blow-out games this year?
A: Tim Tebow.

Tebow threw 3 4th quarter TD passes during blow-outs of Arkansas, Georgia, and South Carolina. Bradford threw 2 - one against Cincinnati and one against Tech (all of the late scoring in the Mizzou game was on the ground), while McCoy only threw one - against UTEP.

When it comes to sportsmanship, I think all three teams had a less than shining moment or two. For Florida, that moment was the 17 late points by Tebow in the LSU game, for Texas it was McCoy's 14 4th quarter points (at home) against a pitiful A&M team, and for OU, clearly, it was the 21 4th quarter points in the Big XII Championship game.

But overall, I think all three teams did their best to prevent running up scores late in the game against weak opponents, and I really don't understand why OU is getting so much grief.

70% of their points were scored in the first half, and only 10% in the 4th quarter. Bradford sat just as much as McCoy (actually a little more), and until the Missouri game, Bradford was responsible for fewer 4th quarter points in blow-outs than either Tebow or McCoy.

So, really, there's just no factual case to be made that OU has run up the score on its opponents all season. That's actually quite remarkable considering the fact that at the same time, they've scored more points than any other team in history, beating Hawaii's record by 50 points - in one *less* game!
Just to make it easier for anyone who wants to dispute what I wrote above, here is the game-by-game information for Oklahoma:

Cincinnati (52-26): 21 1st half points, 21 3rd quarter points, 10 4th quarter points. Bradford sat with 4 minutes left in the game, and was responsible for all 10 4th quarter points, including a touchdown pass. Until the Missouri game, this would have been the best example of OU "running up the score" by leaving Bradford in.
Washington (55-14): 34 1st half points, 14 3rd quarter points, 7 4th quarter points. Bradford sat with 3:25 left in the 3rd quarter.

TCU (35-10): 28 1st half points, 7 3rd quarter points, 0 4th quarter points. Bradford sat with 4:51 left in the 4th quarter.

Baylor (49-17): 35 1st half points, 7 3rd quarter points, 7 4th quarter points. Bradford sat with 8:00 left in the 4th quarter, but he was in the game when the final touchdown was scored.

Texas - not relevant, since OU lost 35-45.

Kansas - not relevant, since OU won by only 14 points.

Kansas St. (58-35): 55 1st half points, 0 third quarter points, 3 4th quarter points. Bradford sat with 6:52 left in the 4th, and he was in the game when the field goal was scored in the 4th.

Nebraska (62-28): 49 1st half points, 13 3rd quarter points, 0 4th quarter points. Bradford sat with 2:08 left to go in the 3rd quarter.

Texas A&M (66-28): 38 1st half points, 21 3rd quarter points, 0 4th quarter points. Bradford sat with 6:50 to play in the 3rd quarter (this was the 4th time he was pulled in the 3rd quarter, for those who are keeping track).

Texas Tech (65-21): 42 1st half points, 16 3rd quarter points, 7 4th quarter points. Bradford was pulled with 14:00 to play in the 4th quarter, after having thrown a touchdown pass to end a drive that started during the 3rd quarter - so there was no scoring and no Bradford for almost the entire 4th quarter.

Oklahoma State (61-41) - not relevant since OU was only ahead by 3 at the start of the 4th quarter, and only ahead by 13 (still vulnerable to a fumble return and an onside kick) when the final score happened on a long run at the end of the game.

OK, take the Chatanooga game out and you're right. Bradford's time on the bench drops to 1 1/2 games. See evidence above. Time on the bench for Bradford drops to 90:06 if you leave out the UT-C game.

Sorry, but the evidence DOES support my claims regarding the time Bradford sat out. And there are a few other highlighted facts that support my original claim that UF had their starters further into the blow-out games, at least score-wise, than the Sooners did. Don't like the facts, take it up with the Mr. Anderson.

On a side note, I am NOT criticizing UF for "running the score up." I placed that in the post I made earlier because of all the crap OU has had to deal with regarding this "issue" throughout the last month. I agree with the concept that if you are playing a D-1 school, it is the responsibiility of the other team to stop your offense. If their starters are in, why shouldn't you have yours in. This whole discussion started because of your assertion that we should stop all of the "we were coasting in blowouts" talk and that UF had the same opportunity to coast, as well. Maybe. But the stats show that we "let up" sooner than Florida did.

Circle City Gator
12/25/2008, 09:25 AM
Report by Paul Anderson
Houston, TX
www.fannation.com/users/view_user_profile/610779

Here we go: Texas, Oklahoma, and Florida all had a bunch of blow-out games this year. Personally, I define a "blow-out" as a game that a team won by three touchdowns or more. Using that definition, Florida had 10 blow-out wins (in 13 games), Oklahoma had 10 blow-out wins (also in 13 games), and Texas had 9 blow-out wins (in 12 games). I don't count OU/OSU as a blow-out, because OU was only ahead by 3 points at the start of the 4th quarter.

See if you can answer these questions:

Q: Which of these three teams scored the most 4th quarter points during blow-out wins?

In blow-outs, Florida scored 100 4th quarter points, Texas scored 86 4th quarter points, and Oklahoma only scored 55 4th quarter points - and yes, this total does include the OU/Missouri game.

Q: Which team's starting quarterback played the most full games?
Tim Tebow played 5 full games. Two of those were in blow-outs against Tennessee and LSU. In the LSU game, Tebow was running the offense for all of the 17 4th quarter points which drove the final score up to 51-21. Sam Bradford played 3 full games (Texas, OSU, and Mizzouri) - only one of those was a blow-out. Colt McCoy also played 3 full games, but none of those was a blow-out (OU, OSU, and Tech).

Q: Which QB sat for the least number of minutes?

Colt sat for 120 minutes this season. Bradford sat for 125 minutes, and Tebow sat for 138 minutes (which includes sitting for almost 3 quarters of the Citadel game).

Q: Which starting QB scored the least 4th quarter points in blow-out games?

Colt drove the Texas offense to 34 4th quarter points in blow-outs. Bradford and Tebow both drove their offenses to 48 4th quarter points during blow-outs. If Bradford had not played the 4th quarter of the Big XII Championship game, his total would be 21 points lower, which would make the totals: Bradford - 27, McCoy - 34, Tebow - 48.

Q: In blow-outs, which team's 4th quarter scoring, as a percentage of its overall scoring, was half that of the two other teams?
A: Oklahoma.

Oklahoma scored 561 points during it's blow-out games, but only 10% of those points came in the 4th quarter. Florida (100/510) and Texas (86/421) both scored 20% of their total points (in blow-outs) during the 4th quarter.

Q: Which QB threw the most touchdown passes during the 4th quarter of blow-out games this year?
A: Tim Tebow.

Tebow threw 3 4th quarter TD passes during blow-outs of Arkansas, Georgia, and South Carolina. Bradford threw 2 - one against Cincinnati and one against Tech (all of the late scoring in the Mizzou game was on the ground), while McCoy only threw one - against UTEP.

When it comes to sportsmanship, I think all three teams had a less than shining moment or two. For Florida, that moment was the 17 late points by Tebow in the LSU game, for Texas it was McCoy's 14 4th quarter points (at home) against a pitiful A&M team, and for OU, clearly, it was the 21 4th quarter points in the Big XII Championship game.

But overall, I think all three teams did their best to prevent running up scores late in the game against weak opponents, and I really don't understand why OU is getting so much grief.

70% of their points were scored in the first half, and only 10% in the 4th quarter. Bradford sat just as much as McCoy (actually a little more), and until the Missouri game, Bradford was responsible for fewer 4th quarter points in blow-outs than either Tebow or McCoy.

So, really, there's just no factual case to be made that OU has run up the score on its opponents all season. That's actually quite remarkable considering the fact that at the same time, they've scored more points than any other team in history, beating Hawaii's record by 50 points - in one *less* game!
Just to make it easier for anyone who wants to dispute what I wrote above, here is the game-by-game information for Oklahoma:

Cincinnati (52-26): 21 1st half points, 21 3rd quarter points, 10 4th quarter points. Bradford sat with 4 minutes left in the game, and was responsible for all 10 4th quarter points, including a touchdown pass. Until the Missouri game, this would have been the best example of OU "running up the score" by leaving Bradford in.
Washington (55-14): 34 1st half points, 14 3rd quarter points, 7 4th quarter points. Bradford sat with 3:25 left in the 3rd quarter.

TCU (35-10): 28 1st half points, 7 3rd quarter points, 0 4th quarter points. Bradford sat with 4:51 left in the 4th quarter.

Baylor (49-17): 35 1st half points, 7 3rd quarter points, 7 4th quarter points. Bradford sat with 8:00 left in the 4th quarter, but he was in the game when the final touchdown was scored.

Texas - not relevant, since OU lost 35-45.

Kansas - not relevant, since OU won by only 14 points.

Kansas St. (58-35): 55 1st half points, 0 third quarter points, 3 4th quarter points. Bradford sat with 6:52 left in the 4th, and he was in the game when the field goal was scored in the 4th.

Nebraska (62-28): 49 1st half points, 13 3rd quarter points, 0 4th quarter points. Bradford sat with 2:08 left to go in the 3rd quarter.

Texas A&M (66-28): 38 1st half points, 21 3rd quarter points, 0 4th quarter points. Bradford sat with 6:50 to play in the 3rd quarter (this was the 4th time he was pulled in the 3rd quarter, for those who are keeping track).

Texas Tech (65-21): 42 1st half points, 16 3rd quarter points, 7 4th quarter points. Bradford was pulled with 14:00 to play in the 4th quarter, after having thrown a touchdown pass to end a drive that started during the 3rd quarter - so there was no scoring and no Bradford for almost the entire 4th quarter.

Oklahoma State (61-41) - not relevant since OU was only ahead by 3 at the start of the 4th quarter, and only ahead by 13 (still vulnerable to a fumble return and an onside kick) when the final score happened on a long run at the end of the game.

OK, take the Chatanooga game out and you're right. Bradford's time on the bench drops to 1 1/2 games. See evidence above. Time on the bench for Bradford drops to 90:06 if you leave out the UT-C game. I'll agree to that IF you'll agree to drop the nearly 3 quarters that Tebow sat in the Citadel game and see where that puts him.

Sorry, but the evidence DOES support my claims. And there are a few other highlighted facts that support my original claim that UF had their starters further into the blow-out games than the Sooners did. Don't like the facts, take it up with the Mr. Anderson.

On a side note, I am NOT criticizing UF for "running the score up." I placed that in the post I made earlier because of all the crap OU has had to deal with regarding this "issue" throughout the last month. I agree with the concept that if you are playing a D-1 school, it is the responsibiility of the other team to stop your offense. If their starters are in, why shouldn't you have yours in. This whole discussion started because of your assertion that we should stop all of the "we were coasting in blowouts" talk and that UF had the same opportunity to coast, as well. Maybe. But the stats show that we "let up" sooner than Florida did.

Nope. Look at my post above. Tebow and Bradford came out at about the same time in comparable games. Yes, Tebow threw a touchdown in the fourth quarter against South Carolina- ON THE FIRST PLAY OF THE QUARTER. You see, QBs are usually taken out during a series, not the time on the clock. Brantley played the rest of the quarter.

The bottom line is that in similar games the backup QBs came in at about the same time, with slight differences depending upon when the offense got the ball.

SoonerBacker
12/25/2008, 09:36 AM
Like I said, if you have a problem with the facts Mr. Anderson provided, take it up with him.

Seriously, you guys all have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Circle City Gator
12/25/2008, 09:46 AM
Like I said, if you have a problem with the facts Mr. Anderson provided, take it up with him.

I have no problems with facts, but with conclusion, and with the way you carefully define "blow out" to make them fit your desired goal. Did you look at the Florida games to decide when they were officially "blow outs," or did you just choose to exclude the 20 point win in the OSU game without looking at when points were scored by Florida?

The bottom line is pretty simple- when you really look at the details, these teams are pretty well matched, and looking for little distinctions is really jsut a way to try to make an argument. And that's cool. What the heck else do we have to do between now and the game?

SoonerBacker
12/25/2008, 10:02 AM
I didn't make the decisions of what a blowout was. Nor did I try to make anything fit my desired goal. I quoted an article written by Mr. Paul Anderson. He made all of the decisions about what would be included. And, since it is an article which includes the texa$$ team, it might be worth noting that he is from Houston. Perhaps he's the one being objective? I did not write the article.

I agree: "The bottom line is pretty simple- when you really look at the details, these teams are pretty well matched, and looking for little distinctions is really jsut a way to try to make an argument. And that's cool. What the heck else do we have to do between now and the game?"It's all in good fun. :D

Again, Merry Christmas.

catsigater
12/25/2008, 11:41 AM
I didn't make the decisions of what a blowout was. Nor did I try to make anything fit my desired goal. I quoted an article written by Mr. Paul Anderson. He made all of the decisions about what would be included. And, since it is an article which includes the texa$$ team, it might be worth noting that he is from Houston. Perhaps he's the one being objective? I did not write the article.

I agree: "The bottom line is pretty simple- when you really look at the details, these teams are pretty well matched, and looking for little distinctions is really jsut a way to try to make an argument. And that's cool. What the heck else do we have to do between now and the game?"It's all in good fun. :D

Again, Merry Christmas.

+1 Merry Christmas!