PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk about the game

stoops the eternal pimp
12/23/2008, 02:41 PM
I think this game will be pretty entertaining. Lots of great athletes on both sides of the ball for UF. I wanted to start an actual thread about the game instead of another tim tebow thread...i think there has almost been enough of those to cover everything about him..personally, i don't give a rat's *** about anything he says or does. no need for the obsession some have around here.

How about a thread about someone else? How about a thread about the matchups with our corners and their WRs, or maybe one about the matchup problem Gresham will create against their linebackers. How about something about Rainey, James, Harvin?...you know... something different.

P3 Gator
12/23/2008, 02:50 PM
I think this game will be pretty entertaining. Lots of great athletes on both sides of the ball for UF. I wanted to start an actual thread about the game instead of another tim tebow thread...i think there has almost been enough of those to cover everything about him..personally, i don't give a rat's *** about anything he says or does. no need for the obsession some have around here.

How about a thread about someone else? How about a thread about the matchups with our corners and their WRs, or maybe one about the matchup problem Gresham will create against their linebackers. How about something about Rainey, James, Harvin?...you know... something different.

Actually, Gresham is my biggest concern. He always seems to be in the right place at the right time. What year is he in? Our guy Hernandez is also very good and is a sophomore. Don't think we'll get a senior year out of him.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/23/2008, 03:04 PM
Gresham is a junior. He does a pretty good job of finding the open spot in the field and usually makes the catch, if he is not too open. For all the big catches he has made this year, he has had a fair share of skillet hands this season as well. At 6'6 and 260 and the way he runs, he could be a difference maker.

Aaron Hernandez is a darn good tight end as well. He played huge in the Florida State game. This could be another interesting matchup because he could create big problems in the middle of the zone OU plays. He has pretty good hands and has improved in his run blocking this year.

If our LB's don't play their assignments and get sucked in on PA, he could create major problems. Same goes the other way as well

Circle City Gator
12/23/2008, 03:09 PM
Actually, a lot has been written on those subjects. Heck, I'm far from the most prolific poster here, and I wrote:

Here is a topic- Who on your team has to have a stand-out, game-of-his-life, coming-of-age game, and why? I'll even go first.

Joe Haden and Carlos Dunlap

Carlos Dunlap, sophomore defensive end 6'6", 250. 9 sacks, 12 tackles for loss, 1 pass broken up, 6 QB hurries, 1 fumble recovery, and 2 kicks blocked. He is a very fast athletic guy. Reports on his 40 vary, from 4.6 to 4.7. He was fast enough to be the number DE in the country coming out of high school and to play kick returner on his HS team. He needs to use speed against OU's size to put pressure on Bradford, who can pick anybody apart if given long enough. IF the pseed rush does not work expect stunts to free him up the middle.

Joe Haden, sophomore cornerback. Extremely athletic, but has been beaten. Of our two corners, he is the most vulnerable. That said, he ain't bad. As a freshman he was selected to the Sporting News Freshman All-America Team, CollegeFootballNews.com Freshman Team and was chosen for the Coaches’ All-SEC Freshman team. But Julius Jones was getting his yards on Haden, not Janoris Jenkins (who is freakin' AMAZING, especially for a true freshman). Haden needs to stick in coverage long enough for Dunlap to get going, just like Dunlap needs to get going long enough to take the pressure off Haden. On defense, those two guys are, IMHO, going to have to had Derrick Harvey against Ohio State sorts of games.

How about you? Who has to really step up for OU to win?

He is certainly a quality tight end. The problem with throwing to the tight end in the middle against Florida is Brandon Spikes. He's a first time All American with four interceptions and 2 touchdowns. Just about every pre-draft report puts him in the top 3 pro prospects, behind James Laurinaitis, and Rey Maualuga. Throwing the ball in his neighborhood is generally not a great idea.

Originally Posted by ADs_Agent
not reading the whole thread, so forgive me if this has been asked, but I'm under the impression on Tebow that he is great between the tackles but that if you spread him out he becomes nullified, as a Gator fan, what do you think on this?

I will try to answer that. First, I believe it to be incorrect, but let me go on and tell you why.

If Tebow is running outside the tackles he is usually leading the option. When that happens the defensive end has the assignment to contain the RB, so Tebow is turning upfield against a linebacker. The linebacker will stop him, eventually, but won't stand him up. Tebow can get stacked up between the tackles, but in the open field usually get an additional 3 to 5 yards after contact, and contact in those cases is a couple yard past the LOS. I don't think you can call a 5-7 yard gain "nullified."

Originally Posted by delhalew
I want some damn answers. All through these posts I have been asking Gator fans to account for possible matchup problems. All MOST of you wana do is talk speed and have these stupid ****ing arguments.

I wanna know what you really think Meyer will do about our offense. I wanna know what happens Tebow throws a pass that looks like a turkey shot out of the sky. I wanna know what you think about the turnover issue( that will be an issue). I wanna have a real freakin' discussion.

Several Gators, including myself, have answered these questions many times.

What will we do about your offense? First, and always, stop the run. Yes, I know you can "set up the run with the pass." Believe it or not, we Gators are more than a little familiar with the concept, having seen it first-hand during the Spurrier years. Stopping the run still comes first. After that, we are going to need GREAT corner play to give the speed defensive ends the extra second they need to reach Bradford. If the cover can't give the extra second, or the ends can't get there in that extra second we have a hard time for sure. As for your tight end, he is great, but I actually believe our LBs have the speed to keep up with him.

Tebows passes sometimes wobble, but you underestimate his strength and accuracy if you think that means too much. For some reason I don't understnd, a lot of leftys throw wobbly balls, but he is accurate and has a big arm. The answer to your question, though, is the same answer to what happens if any quarterback, including Bradford (and yes, even he is capable of throwing a bad pass, he has 3x the interceptions of Tebow)- it might get intercepted.

Turnovers? The two teams lead the nation in turnover ratio. That can go either way and might decide the game. We only lost 2 interceptions all year, and caught a bunch of them. You lost six, but caught a bunch, too. We fumbled a few, but not too many. Ditto you. My personal opinion is that you are more likely to lose an interception that we are this time around, just because you throw more. Could be the game-changer either way.

Now, your turn. What are you going to do about special teams, particularly with Murray gone. How are you going to keep enough in the box to stop Tebow, Harvin, Demps, and Rainey from getting going, while keeping enough guys in coverage to stop Cooper, Murphy, Hernandez, and Harvin/Demps/Rainey when they line up or shift to a WR position? Is your third string midde linebacker, starting because of injuries, the key to this game? If it comes down to kickers, can you win?

Originally Posted by adoniijahsooner
Start talking what it really takes to win a football game. You know? blocking, tackling, pulling offensive lineman, smart quarterback play, good coaching, and other details that go into winning a national title. If you do this, I can promise every sooner post will be followed by a gator being . You cannot, I repeat you cannot continue to talk speed, for you will lose every argument. Cults are well versed in their area of expertise, and the "speed cult" can talk you under the table when it comes to how fast you can go somewhere when you move your legs as quickly as you can. Oh yeah, also stay away from conference affiliation, because that's another argument that we cannot win. Let me begin the repellent. We have success on offense, because of the collective effort of all 11 guys doing their job unselfishly for the team; not because we are fast. General statement, but it ought to get rid of at least one of them.

Watch this, I'll do it again, with this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76svEzKoRXg):

On the first play on the video, the guard pulls and takes on the DE, while the fullback leads Tebow through the line. Tebow, the slow guy, remember?, well, watch him go through the hole. Then watch what he does after first contact.

The second play is an interception return, so let's skip it.

On the third play, watch the safety bite on the quick turn, while the outside guy runs free. Tebow saw it right away and hit the perfect strike for a TD. Good recognition for a "glorified fullback," eh?

A play or two later, near the goal line, Tebow starts to run left. He is such a big running threat that the defense has to converge. 6 points.

Okay, watch the play that starts at 3:22. I'm going to talk about blocking and SPEED. It start as an option play, Tebow running left, Demps on his left shoulder. The right guard pulls, the DE is left alone and picks Tebow, and the WR is blocking the strong safety. Tebow makes the pitch and Demps has a huge hole to run through, because of the guard and WR. His SPEED helps turn upfield and get through the hole. He also gets extra yards because of his SPEED, getting past the linebacker to his right.

At 3:35 our own Heisman Trophy winner shows that he really can throw the ball, but just ignore it. Your guy is the only one in the game who can pass.

Watch slow Tim Tebow outrun the LSU linebacker at 3:42. It happened because the play was a counter, the entire line blocked right, and Tebow had one guy to outrun. You see, that play was set up by good coaching, good play-calling, and good blocking. Then some SPEED, this time from Tebow, made it work, since he had one guy to beat, and he beat him.

My favorite play, though, starts at 3:49. That's the first time I said "HOLY SH*T HE'S FAST" about Demps. I thought the playback skipped. Okay, let's talk blocking. Again, it's an option play. The up-front blocking is great, the guard pulls, the WR blocks on the safety, and the DE picks Tebow. Watch the SPEED with which Demps hits the hole. Then watch the SPEED with which he splits defenders that look to have good angles on him. You might also want to see how he sets up his blocker and cuts inside, in case you think he's just a track guy and not a football player. There is also one more good down-field block by a WR. See, we Gators notice blocking. We just think good blocking plus SPEED is better than good blocking without speed.

Speaking of SPEED, one of the best players you have is your tight end, and he is terrific. Our middle linebacker, Spikes, is going to have to play great ball to defend against passes in the middle. Watch what happens at 4:01 in the video. That's Spikes. He's getting an interception in the middle. Then he's running it back for a touchdown. Pretty fast guy for an MLB, eh? Oh yeah, you guys don't care about SPEED. Sorry.

At 4:25, another option, this time to the right. I know, it's just another SPEED guy, but wait, look at the cuts, look at the balance, look at the yards after contact. Maybe you can be fast AND a football player. Then, maybe blocking plus coaching plus play-calling plus SPEED is better than blocking plus coaching plus play-calling with less SPEED. Watchathink?

Speaking of SPEED, watch the sack at 4:34. It speaks for itself.

I'm perfectly happy to talk football. Talking about it won't drive me away. Sorry.

Originally Posted by adoniijahsooner
Start talking what it really takes to win a football game. You know? blocking, tackling, pulling offensive lineman, smart quarterback play, good coaching, and other details that go into winning a national title. If you do this, I can promise every sooner post will be followed by a gator being . You cannot, I repeat you cannot continue to talk speed, for you will lose every argument. Cults are well versed in their area of expertise, and the "speed cult" can talk you under the table when it comes to how fast you can go somewhere when you move your legs as quickly as you can. Oh yeah, also stay away from conference affiliation, because that's another argument that we cannot win. Let me begin the repellent. We have success on offense, because of the collective effort of all 11 guys doing their job unselfishly for the team; not because we are fast. General statement, but it ought to get rid of at least one of them.

Can we talk about blocking, pulling offensive linemen, AND speed? Or will that confuse you?

Here, let me narrate This video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9jsSUWNW0E):

The first play is a reverse to Harvin. Watch the tight end, Hernandez, come back and block the lineback to break him free. Then watch the WR blocking down field. See, I talked about blocking. I'm not confused at all.

On the next play, Harving goes into motion, gets the hand-off then turns toward the line. The center, and left guard block right, while the right guard pulls left and takes on the defensive end. The left tackle goes deeper and blocks the linebacker. Note the SPEED of Harvin's first step, as he jets through the opening. Wow, I talked about blocking, pulling guards, AND speed, and I'm still not confused.

On the next play the H-back blocks the end and the other running back leads through the hole.

The next play is similar to play number two, but not exactly the same. The right guard pulled and took out the defensive end. The fullback led through the hole, and really only got a brush-block, but Harvin's SPEED makes it enough. Again, the right guard pulled, and I'm not confused. Also note the down-field blocking by the WR. Also, and I know this is about SPEED, which you think is meaningless in a football, game, but watch Harvin split defenders in front of him and with what appear to be decent angles. That happens because of SPEED.

In the last play the other RB and the tight end blocked outside, but the linebacker read the play. He not QUITE right in front of Harvin, but looked to have plenty of lead and loaded for the big hit. Watch what SPEED does to a very good linebacker, as Harvin blows right by him for another seven yards.

I'm sorry if all this talk about SPEED makes you think we Gators can't talk about football. You see, we are under the silly impression that when you get good blocking, good coaching, and good play-calling, SPEED helps. But yeah, we can talk about those other things, too. In fact, I just did

A-M
12/23/2008, 03:11 PM
Going to be a good game, but if our "A" team shows up, OU will run away with the game. Maybe even another over 60 game.

Circle City Gator
12/23/2008, 03:12 PM
Gresham is a junior. He does a pretty good job of finding the open spot in the field and usually makes the catch, if he is not too open. For all the big catches he has made this year, he has had a fair share of skillet hands this season as well. At 6'6 and 260 and the way he runs, he could be a difference maker.

Aaron Hernandez is a darn good tight end as well. He played huge in the Florida State game. This could be another interesting matchup because he could create big problems in the middle of the zone OU plays. He has pretty good hands and has improved in his run blocking this year.

If our LB's don't play their assignments and get sucked in on PA, he could create major problems. Same goes the other way as well

That seems like a pretty fair analysis. Gresham's size is an advantage, but it might be evened out by Florida's advantage at MLB. Spikes is an All-American, and right now (as a junior) projected as the 3rd LB in the draft. He has been terrific against the pass, not just on blitzes but on defenses as well (he ran two interceptions back for touchdowns, and has four total- a pretty good number for a linebacker).

OUinFLA
12/23/2008, 03:12 PM
...long post....

Holy Moley,
are you retired or something?

G8trGr8t
12/23/2008, 03:32 PM
Going to be a good game, but if our "A" team shows up, OU will run away with the game. Maybe even another over 60 game.

Do many OU fans really feel this way?

I mean we are confident we can, and should, win but a run away game? I do not see that at all. Not unless there are a lot of turnovers and stupid mistakes by one team.

Did Gresham file NFL paperwork or is he definitely back next year?

Partial Qualifier
12/23/2008, 03:37 PM

I think it's the whole 'vocal minority' message board thing.

PhiDeltBeers
12/23/2008, 03:41 PM

I mean we are confident we can, and should, win but a run away game? I do not see that at all. Not unless there are a lot of turnovers and stupid mistakes by one team.

I remember standing in line at the Tech game, and the security guy asked me my prediction. I said 77-7. I wasn't too far off. I guess I was a little over-confident as the final was 65-21.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/23/2008, 03:42 PM
Actually, a lot has been written on those subjects. Heck, I'm far from the most prolific poster here, and I wrote:

The problem is that most of the quality posts like that are lost in a sea of 4 or 5 pages of bull**** that I don't wanna read all the way through..

And I don't care to read through all the mess...

good posts

stoops the eternal pimp
12/23/2008, 03:44 PM
I don't think OU scores 60...or 50...I think whoever the winning team is will be in the high 30's or 40's

PhiDeltBeers
12/23/2008, 03:46 PM
I remember standing in line at the Tech game, and the security guy asked me my prediction. I said 77-7. I wasn't too far off. I guess I was a little over-confident as the final was 65-21.

I can predict 77-7 again if you guys wish. I'll be wearing the same clothes. Haha!

Boomer38Sooner
12/23/2008, 03:47 PM

No not everyone does. We are just like the Florida fans. We believe that if we play to the best of our abilities, we will win. And I personally believe that if you guys play to the best of your abilities you will win. I think this game is going to come down to turnovers. OU's defense produced the most turnovers in the nation this year and I think that if we can get maybe 2 on UF we will win. Vice versa for Florida

swardboy
12/23/2008, 03:48 PM
The charm of this game is that we really don't know squat about what will happen on the field...we've never been on the field together!

The reason some of us Sooners are optimistic is because we've been in 60+ point blowouts that were totally unexpected...not just this year, but this decade. I never expect to hang 50 on Texas, but we put 63 and 64 on them. The ball can start rolling downhill so fast sometimes, and especially with this year's version.

My biggest worry is the defensive middle on passing, as it has been all season. I don't have the fears on our offensive playcalling I've had in years past. I think we've done an awesome job in playcalling all told this year.

1890MilesToNorman
12/23/2008, 03:48 PM
Unless the Gators can do something the last 6 teams haven't been able to do then the score should be about 52 to 34.

I don't see any evidence otherwise.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/23/2008, 03:49 PM

I don't feel that way but thats just me.

And not sure if he's filed his paperwork...I would bet he has..Most juniors who stand a chance will file it even if they know they are not gonna go

stoops the eternal pimp
12/23/2008, 03:53 PM
Unless the Gators can do something the last 6 teams haven't been able to do then the score should be about 52 to 34.

I think the problem with going off past performances is that OU really hasn't seen a d as talented as UF this season. TCU and Texas were the tops and I don't think either of those teams had the caliber of players that UF does.

I tell you what scares me is the same thing that scared me in the texas game..If the O goes 3 and out on consecutive series late in the game if its close, then that creates a big problem for the D because of the quick nature of the offense

OU_Sooners75
12/23/2008, 03:54 PM
Stats for both teams (offense and defense) set with a mathematical forumla shows that OU should win 49-37.

;)

Damn computers!

1890MilesToNorman
12/23/2008, 04:00 PM
The Gators speed is one thing but they still need to cover a vast area of the field where Sammy can get the ball to. Balance will slow the FU D and they have to respect both facets of the offense. If the FU coaches figure it out then they will be the heroes of the game.

G8trGr8t
12/23/2008, 04:03 PM

Maybe you should look at the defensive statistics of those 6 teams vs the Gators. Here is the link.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2008&rpt=IA_teamtotdef&site=org

This is one of our cb's against Tennessee if visuals help. Wish I had the Spikes hit on Moreno but it is on youtube if you need to see more.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk119/g8trgr8t/hadenpop.gif

stoops the eternal pimp
12/23/2008, 04:04 PM
you know last season, I posted stuff about how good the WV defense was and I was bedowngraded by other posters, who said they hadn't faced an O like ours and bluh bluh and look at what they did...and this D is a lot better than the WV D..

and I know the OU offense is better than last year...

And I know the post texas game D's OU faced were not world beaters by any means, so I don't gain confidence in scoring points against osu, tech, or mizzou

Boomer.....
12/23/2008, 04:10 PM
There is no doubting Florida's defense. They are good and they are fast on both sides of the ball .

1890MilesToNorman
12/23/2008, 04:15 PM
Maybe you should look at the defensive statistics of those 6 teams vs the Gators. Here is the link.

This is one of our cb's against Tennessee if visuals help. Wish I had the Spikes hit on Moreno but it is on youtube if you need to see more.

Have they seen an offense that can go to 10+ different receivers in a given game? You can't key on any 1 or 2 guys.

I'll stick with my previous statements, if the FU coaching staff figures out an effective D then it will be a good game.

The Maestro
12/23/2008, 04:18 PM

Tennessee.
Isn't that the game where you guys scored like 13 whole points in the final 3 quarters?

JUST KIDDING!!!

I can go to Wyoming message boards and see that kind of stuff, though.

catsigater
12/23/2008, 04:19 PM
Stats for both teams (offense and defense) set with a "mathematical formula" shows that OU should win 49-37.

;)

Damn computers!

GIGO

http://accuscore.com/ncaaf/articles/bcs-national-championship:-oklahoma-vs-florida/

Although Oklahoma’s two other running backs, Chris Brown and Mossis Madu, have combined for over 1,500 yards, AccuScore projects Murray’s loss as a significant set back for the Sooners.

When we simulated the game with Murray, the game was a toss up with Florida winning 50.2 percent of simulations. Without Murray the Gators have seen their win probability rise to 56.8 percent.

Murray is not the only playmaker whose injury status causes significant swings in our forecast.

Percy Harvin is the leading rusher and receiver for Florida in simulations (which assume he will be healthy and at full strength).Harvin did miss the SEC Championship Game with an ankle sprain and if he has any kind of setback in his recovery and cannot play, the scale tips in Oklahoma’s favor.

Without Harvin’s superior big play ability Oklahoma actually pulls ahead by 1 point in over 54 percent of the simulations.

BCS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP FLA OK SCORE
BASELINE 56.8% 43.2% FLA 39, OK 36
NO PERCY HARVIN 45.9% 54.1% OK 37, FLA 36

stoops the eternal pimp
12/23/2008, 04:20 PM
I think thats what is intriguing about this matchup..OU hasn't seen a defense like theirs, and they haven't seen an O like OUs...

Looking at the SEC offenses, I would say none of them except for the UF O showed anything that was impressive...very average at best

Circle City Gator
12/23/2008, 04:23 PM
Holy Moley,
are you retired or something?

No, I just don't sleep.

Circle City Gator
12/23/2008, 04:25 PM
The problem is that most of the quality posts like that are lost in a sea of 4 or 5 pages of bull**** that I don't wanna read all the way through..

And I don't care to read through all the mess...

good posts

Thanks.

The Maestro
12/23/2008, 04:30 PM
I think thats what is intriguing about this matchup..OU hasn't seen a defense like theirs, and they haven't seen an O like OUs...

Looking at the SEC offenses, I would say none of them except for the UF O showed anything that was impressive...very average at best

I agree...the level of unknown is high in this one. As an OU fan, I am obviously hoping that our offense is so much more diverse, fast paced and full of talent than anything Florida has seen that they will not be able to keep up.

Florida fans hope their defense with all that speed like we have never seen or all those backs that average X amount of yards per carry will overwhelm OU.

I look at quality wins for a barometer. OU crushed a team ranked number 1, steamrolled an 8-4 Nebraska team that finished strong other than their game with us, could not be stopped on like 8 straight possessions by OSU on the road and took a Missouri offense completely out of rhythm while putting up 61 without our top back. That doesn't even include Cincy and TCU.

Florida has to look at the win over Bama and they should. Bottom line, Florida rallied after not having the momentum or the lead heading to the 4th quarter. They completely outplayed Bama for one quarter and won the game.

They crushed Georgia. Like Bama did. Like Georgia Tech basically did on offense. Big win??? Not so sure...

They tore up LSU. LSU has the worst quarterback in SEC history.

What else is there for Florida? I mean, the only other decent team they played beat them in their own backyard!

Resume advantage goes to OU, but that doesn't win the game. IF OU jumps out and gets two quick scores in the 1st quarter...we shall see. I don't think OU has to keep up with Florida, but Florida certainly has to keep up with us.

Circle City Gator
12/23/2008, 04:31 PM
Have they seen an offense that can go to 10+ different receivers in a given game? You can't key on any 1 or 2 guys.

I'll stick with my previous statements, if the FU coaching staff figures out an effective D then it will be a good game.

Oklahoma has eight receivers who caught 10 or more passes this year. One of them, Murray, is out.

Florida has nine receivers who caught 10 or more passes this year. All of them are ready to play.

So I'd have to say "yeah, Florida has seen an offense that can go to at least as many receivers as Oklahoma. Every day. In practice."

stoops the eternal pimp
12/23/2008, 04:36 PM
I agree...the level of unknown is high in this one. As an OU fan, I am obviously hoping that our offense is so much more diverse, fast paced and full of talent than anything Florida has seen that they will not be able to keep up.

Florida fans hope their defense with all that speed like we have never seen or all those backs that average X amount of yards per carry will overwhelm OU.

I look at quality wins for a barometer. OU crushed a team ranked number 1, steamrolled an 8-4 Nebraska team that finished strong other than their game with us, could not be stopped on like 8 straight possessions by OSU on the road and took a Missouri offense completely out of rhythm while putting up 61 without our top back. That doesn't even include Cincy and TCU.

Florida has to look at the win over Bama and they should. Bottom line, Florida rallied after not having the momentum or the lead heading to the 4th quarter. They completely outplayed Bama for one quarter and won the game.

They crushed Georgia. Like Bama did. Like Georgia Tech basically did on offense. Big win??? Not so sure...

They tore up LSU. LSU has the worst quarterback in SEC history.

What else is there for Florida? I mean, the only other decent team they played beat them in their own backyard!

Resume advantage goes to OU, but that doesn't win the game. IF OU jumps out and gets two quick scores in the 1st quarter...we shall see. I don't think OU has to keep up with Florida, but Florida certainly has to keep up with us.

Good post...

I think this game will have quick scores on both sides..I wouldn't be suprised to see one side go up 14 and then the other side tie it up...

Soonermagik
12/23/2008, 04:45 PM
Obviously, OU needs to slow down Tebow. However, the biggest concern I have is the O-line protecting Bradford. If we can give him enough time I think OU will win, but if he is constantly forced on 3 and outs we will lose. I just don't think the defense can continually shut down UF.

IMHO, OU will have to come up with some good wrinkles to keep UF off balance. Things like quick shovel passes, screens, roll Sam out etc. Just plays that will happen so quick Florida won't have time to cover them. Plus, if we can run short plays that eat up clock that's less time Tebow is on the field.

If OU can get a nice lead 10 -14 point lead I think it's over. I just don't think Florida will be able to score fast enough to get back in the game.

Both teams are really talented, and it will be an interesting game.

The Maestro
12/23/2008, 04:56 PM
I don't see it being close. 20 point win or more one way or the other. One of the two teams is going to prove their superiority. Either the SEC defense is powerful, YPC with balance is important, the OU defense sucks or Florida has faced a bunch of bad offensive teams, OU's offense IS that balanced and awesome and Tebow, when forced to throw due to being behind, can't get it done.

One team will have their spirit broken and get crushed. You see it in championship games a lot.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/23/2008, 05:03 PM
i sure don't think 10-14 points is any kind of a security blanket

Soonermagik
12/23/2008, 05:06 PM
I don't see it being close. 20 point win or more one way or the other. One of the two teams is going to prove their superiority. Either the SEC defense is powerful, YPC with balance is important, the OU defense sucks or Florida has faced a bunch of bad offensive teams, OU's offense IS that balanced and awesome and Tebow, when forced to throw due to being behind, can't get it done.

One team will have their spirit broken and get crushed. You see it in championship games a lot.

Yeah, but if it's close that main taint your analysis. With that said, I think you're right. Maybe Florida has played terrible offenses all year and has never really been tested. Maybe OU's offense hasn't seen a good defense and will get kicked.

What makes me really wonder is the highest scoring offense stat. Either that stat will make this the most powerful offense ever on a college field, or it will be a bad reminder of an unfinished season. :pop:

Soonermagik
12/23/2008, 05:08 PM

OSU was down by 11 and they just couldn't stop OU. IMHO, once this offense starts clicking it's really hard to shut them down. Then again, special teams or turnovers could have a reverse effect.

I'm just saying, barring mistakes, if OU gets on a roll it will most likely demoralize UF and fire up OU.

catsigater
12/23/2008, 05:09 PM

It sure as heck isn't against OU. That much I do know.

Soonermagik
12/23/2008, 05:12 PM

Looks to me in that link that the guy got 15-20 yards before your db laid the wood. Even worse, wasn't that against terrible Tennessee? :confused: ;) :D

J/K with ya I know you guys have a salty D.

1890MilesToNorman
12/23/2008, 05:13 PM
I think what demoralized OSU was when they scored on the KO return, it put the D back on the field and they were not the same after that. The OSU D was out there on back to back drives and couldn't stop the Sooners.

JGATOR
12/23/2008, 06:04 PM
As much as some believe OU will not be stopped by UF's defense, the Sooners still have to stop UF's offense. I don't think they can. I have watched all the Sooners games now and they have not faced another team that has near the number of playmakers UF can put on the field at one time other than themselves in practice. I don't care if OU can score in 5 seconds and it takes UF 5 minutes to score the same points.

I think this game may come down to who holds the other team to field goals as oppossed to TDs because both offenses will score.

The Maestro
12/23/2008, 06:20 PM
I have watched all the Sooners games now and they have not faced another team that has near the number of playmakers UF can put on the field at one time

(Banging my head on my desk...)

Okay, Sparky. Bring your YPC national leaders and we will see what we can do.

Dan Thompson
12/23/2008, 06:57 PM
Who does Loadholt line up against and is he fast?

delhalew
12/23/2008, 07:54 PM

I'm just glad Load waits for the snap this year. Last year I wanted to kick his... I mean politely ask him to please stop jumping early. Mr. Loadholt...Sir.

PalmBeachSooner
12/23/2008, 07:59 PM
Actually, Gresham is my biggest concern. He always seems to be in the right place at the right time. What year is he in? Our guy Hernandez is also very good and is a sophomore. Don't think we'll get a senior year out of him.

Hernandez has impressed me. He has come up big for Florida the last couple of games. We definitely need to know where he is on the field.

JGATOR
12/23/2008, 10:58 PM

Cunnigham, Dunlap and Trattou are the ones that come to mind right now. They have pretty good quickness. They will play on either side.

G8trGr8t
12/23/2008, 11:08 PM
Cunnigham, Dunlap and Trattou are the ones that come to mind right now. They have pretty good quickness. They will play on either side.

Dunlap is exceptionally fast for a big man, he returned kickoffs in high school and runs a 4.6 40. Freshman Will Green is another end that may see some time. He is kind of light (250 ish) but runs like a fast lb. Both of those guys will drop into coverage to allow for blitzes from the safeties and db's. Spikes (all american MLB) also rushes off the end a lot and he has a pretty good set of wheels too.

I think that will be the best wya for UF to get to Bradfors is from the speed rush at the ends but our lb's and db's are going to have to keep tight coverage for 4 - 6 seconds to foce Sam to hold the ball. Other than stopping the run, that will be the key for the UF defense to be succesful.

G8trGr8t
12/23/2008, 11:10 PM
Hernandez has impressed me. He has come up big for Florida the last couple of games. We definitely need to know where he is on the field.

Kid is a nasty dude too. Read a quote where one of our defensive guys said he will either end up playing on Sundays or end up in prison. For an offensive player, he has a mean streak. Loves to hit people and shows it with his blocking.

sooneron
12/24/2008, 01:48 AM
Kid is a nasty dude too. Read a quote where one of our defensive guys said he will either end up playing on Sundays or end up in prison.

Gee, I wish he were at OU :rolleyes: I want guys like that on campus.

Crucifax Autumn
12/24/2008, 04:32 AM
Yeah,,,and the 350 pound guy runs a 4.2 20....that's Florida for ya!

adoniijahsooner
12/24/2008, 05:05 AM
I don't think OU scores 60...or 50...I think whoever the winning team is will be in the high 30's or 40's

I may be one of the bull**** posters, but I believe that we can score 50 or 60 fairly easily. Especially if Florida reels off big plays and kick or punt returns for touchdowns, which will only wear down their defense. These guys got no pass rush on JP Wilson without blitzing, but if they blitz against us, that will be recipe for disaster, because Sam is the most intelligent college QB I have ever witnessed, and with over a month to watch film, and dissect the Florida speed, you cannot honestly say that we will not have it figured out.

adoniijahsooner
12/24/2008, 05:11 AM
Kid is a nasty dude too. Read a quote where one of our defensive guys said he will either end up playing on Sundays or end up in prison. For an offensive player, he has a mean streak. Loves to hit people and shows it with his blocking.

One thing about our "soft" defense, is that they have a propensity to get personal fouls, and aggressive penalties. If Florida is under the impression that our team is going to shy away from hard nosed football, it will be a shock to their system. Nic Harris, Clayton, Lewis, English, Beal, and carter are all physical players, and the points that have been put up on us, have come from broken plays, and not from a team hitting us in the mouth.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/24/2008, 09:11 PM
I may be one of the bull**** posters, but I believe that we can score 50 or 60 fairly easily. Especially if Florida reels off big plays and kick or punt returns for touchdowns, which will only wear down their defense. These guys got no pass rush on JP Wilson without blitzing, but if they blitz against us, that will be recipe for disaster, because Sam is the most intelligent college QB I have ever witnessed, and with over a month to watch film, and dissect the Florida speed, you cannot honestly say that we will not have it figured out.

One of the reasons they got no pass rush on John Parker Peter Tom Willis Wilson is that the Alabama O Line is the best in the country...

And I would say Peyton Manning was just as intelligent of a college qb than Bradford...

stoops the eternal pimp
12/24/2008, 09:12 PM
and somebody posted in one of the threads I read today they hoped ESPN kept giving props to Florida because they would be overconfident because of it...that is awesome:D

Iam4OUru
12/24/2008, 09:35 PM
We are just like the Florida fans. We believe that if we play to the best of our abilities, we will win. And I personally believe that if you guys play to the best of your abilities you will win.

If both teams play to the best of their abilities....who wins? :rolleyes:

adoniijahsooner
12/24/2008, 09:52 PM
If both teams play to the best of their abilities....who wins? :rolleyes:

The team with the most ability.;)

Iam4OUru
12/24/2008, 10:10 PM
The team with the most ability.;)

LOL! Not always....:D Hmmm, we're back where we started.

FlaBama
12/24/2008, 10:13 PM
Best Wishes Guys,

I may live in Florida after growing up in Tuscaloosa, but I'll be yelling for my second favorite team every step of the way.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q226/FlaBama/uaou.gif

Now go out and cream the GayTurds!