PDA

View Full Version : How to slow Tebow down........

Soonermagik
12/23/2008, 01:58 PM
I'm willing to bet OU puts 7 guys in the box and forces Tebow to beat OU with his arm. He's a talented runner and looks to be a decent passer, but he prefers to run.

After watching several games with the Florida they really like to run Tebow and do quick pitches, really some zone read stuff too.

Tebow is a tank, and it will take a lot of guys up front to discourage him from tucking it or pitching it. I'm hoping OU has the athletes to force Tebow to throw more than they want to. If the corners can play a solid game it should really help the front 7 to contain Tebow. Any thoughts?

picasso
12/23/2008, 01:59 PM
I thought you were going to say open up a monster truck t-shirt stand.

yermom
12/23/2008, 02:03 PM
our OLBs have been pretty good so far this year

i hope Travis Lewis and Keenan Clayton have saved some licks for Tebow

PhiDeltBeers
12/23/2008, 02:09 PM
I say have all our defensive players dress up in Devil uni's.

Scott D
12/23/2008, 02:10 PM
The obvious answer is someone sees what Shawn Eckhardt is up to these days, and if he's still got access to a night stick.

P3 Gator
12/23/2008, 02:11 PM
I'm willing to bet OU puts 7 guys in the box and forces Tebow to beat OU with his arm. He's a talented runner and looks to be a decent passer, but he prefers to run.

After watching several games with the Florida they really like to run Tebow and do quick pithes, really some zone read stuff too.

Tebow is a tank, and it will take a lot of guys up front to discourage him from tucking it or pitching it. I'm hoping OU has the athletes to force Tebow to throw more than they want to. If the corners can play a solid game it should really help the front 7 to contain Tebow. Any thoughts?

No way that works because of Harvin, Murphy, Thompson, Cooper, Hernandez...

Maybe put a linebacker on him but if you crowd the front too much and put you d-backs on an island, they will get burned. The mobile QB in this offense creates just this mismatch.

Here's a really good article describing the issues the spread creates for defenses, especially if you have the right personnel package (and UF does).

spread (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/50623-the-evolution-of-college-football-the-reign-of-the-spread-offense)

Wishboned
12/23/2008, 02:13 PM
Here's a really good article describing the issues the spread creates for defenses, especially if you have the right personnel package (and UF does).

spread (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/50623-the-evolution-of-college-football-the-reign-of-the-spread-offense)

Wow. Thanks!

We've never faced the spread before, so we're not familiar with it at all.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/23/2008, 02:15 PM
7 guys in the box...are you serious?

P3 Gator
12/23/2008, 02:15 PM
Wow. Thanks!

We've never faced the spread before, so we're not familiar with it at all.

You're welcome. The originator of this thread asked what happens when you try and stuff Tebow. You must have a better understanding.

Scott D
12/23/2008, 02:16 PM
You're welcome. The originator of this thread asked what happens when you try and stuff Tebow. You must have a better understanding.

your retorts are nearly tantamount to me replying "Ask Jake Locker what happens when a big mobile quarterback that likes to run like a fullback faces our defense."

all of it is moot.

P3 Gator
12/23/2008, 02:16 PM
The obvious answer is someone sees what Shawn Eckhardt is up to these days, and if he's still got access to a night stick.

Maybe Barry Switzer could get all liquored up and go out for a little drive with something in the glove box...

Scott D
12/23/2008, 02:18 PM
clearly sarcasm is lost on your part.

Wishboned
12/23/2008, 02:20 PM
clearly sarcasm is lost on your part.

They don't have sarcasm in Florida. It's the Sunshine State.

fadada1
12/23/2008, 02:21 PM
screw it, put all 11 inside the pro hash marks and blitz every down.

Wishboned
12/23/2008, 02:23 PM
Maybe Barry Switzer could get all liquored up and go out for a little drive with something in the glove box...

Y'know casting aspersions (go ahead, look it up, we'll wait) on one of our coaching legends when the foundations of your school's success were built by a man who went by the nickname of Cheatin' Charley is pretty ridiculous.

P3 Gator
12/23/2008, 02:24 PM
clearly sarcasm is lost on your part.Nah, I get it...just had to take a shot at Barry. Had a good friend from my JO tour that was an OU grad from back in the day...he was an unapologetic Barry fan (as a good fan should be).

o0Dan0o
12/23/2008, 03:01 PM
My guess is we do it how we have for most of the season. Blitz fairly often with players coming from different directions each time. Let the DE's play contain and pursue the QB. We'll have to scheme a little differently for some of Florida's option looks.
Dan

Blitzkrieg
12/23/2008, 03:09 PM
You rush him with a "collapse and control" rush versus a speed rush off the corner. Stray in the run lanes and push the pocket, make him throw in the pocket, he's not John Elway.

Mark_in_Tulsa
12/23/2008, 03:11 PM

Maybe put a linebacker on him but if you crowd the front too much and put you d-backs on an island, they will get burned. The mobile QB in this offense creates just this mismatch.

Tell me more of this so called "spread offense". It sounds unique and original. Maybe Stoops should invest some time into looking into using this offense. Actually I think all the Big 12 schools should take a look at it.

OUAlumni1990
12/23/2008, 03:12 PM
Here is how you slow Teblow down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdOiF_qdQLI

P3 Gator
12/23/2008, 03:35 PM
Here is how you slow Teblow down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdOiF_qdQLI

Seemed to work against Stafford and UGA. You guys think you're tired of hearing about Tebow, try listening to what a great prospect Stafford is all the time...yeesh.

Scott D
12/23/2008, 03:39 PM
I'm probably more tired of hearing about Stafford than you are, since I happen to live in Detroit.

P3 Gator
12/23/2008, 04:00 PM
I'm probably more tired of hearing about Stafford than you are, since I happen to live in Detroit.

I hope Detroit isn't looking for Stafford as their answer to turning it around. Great physical skills, but not the smartest player (IMO).

catsigater
12/23/2008, 04:04 PM
I hope Detroit isn't looking for Stafford as their answer to turning it around. Great physical skills, but not the smartest player (IMO).

Kinda like Grossman.

P3 Gator
12/23/2008, 04:06 PM
Kinda like Grossman.

Yep...PARTY!!!

picasso
12/23/2008, 04:27 PM

can't stuff that kid. I've seen him, he's full of it.

picasso
12/23/2008, 04:28 PM

hehe. yes, ole Switzer was fielding football teams way back when you guys were #3 in your own state.

pfft.

Circle City Gator
12/23/2008, 04:39 PM
Seven guys in the box? You mean play man-to-man against Harvin, Rainey, Demps, Murphy, and Hernandez?

:D

But wait, just seven? Let's see, that puts five linemen and a tight end on six, and Tebow takes the seventh on one-on-one. I'll take that match up. Tebow won't break long runs, but every three yard run will be a seven yard run, with four after initial contact.

Of course, if you completely key in on Tebow, you're leaving Harvin alone, or taking him man-on-man. Oh man oh man.

On the other hand, if the strong safety cheats a little, and hesitates to read Tebow, playing run first, his one-man play-action will guarantee somebody very fast gets the ball in the open field.

I know a lot of people here think Tebow is just a fullback, but that is just wishful thinking. The guy is a very accurate passer, is quite good at reading defenses, and is the most significant one-man play-action threat in college football in years, if not ever. Sure, there have been faster running quarterbacks, but not another one who could make play-action between the tackles work.

Bottom line? Seven in the box isn't enough, but eight is too many. Ultimately, though, your observation is correct- keying on Tebow requires your DBs to be perfect, against (yes, here it is again, but when you're talking about man-on-man coverage it really matters) Florida's speed.

picasso
12/23/2008, 04:44 PM
does Florida lift weights too?

I'm really hoping our game plan is to tackle the man with the ball.

Scott D
12/23/2008, 04:50 PM

at this point who knows what they're looking at outside of 0-16. Still haven't hired a new GM despite a very good one wanting the job (*cough*Floyd Reese*cough*).

Logic dictates they stay away from a QB w/ the #1 pick and instead use their two first rounders to solidify other parts of the roster. (fwiw I'd take Andre Smith and one of the two USC linebackers), or trade the #1 pick for 3 picks including a lower first rounder.

P3 Gator
12/23/2008, 04:52 PM
does Florida lift weights too?

I'm really hoping our game plan is to tackle the man with the ball.

The man with the ball? Percy.

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r479/jereed16/percy-2.jpg

Scott D
12/23/2008, 04:54 PM

impossible, he's too fast to be photographed.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/23/2008, 05:00 PM
OU isn't gonna play 7 in a box and go man against those guys..that would be a recipe for disaster...

I think the key for stopping him is our DEs...they need to have good inside moves instead of the outside shoulder of the tackles...force tebow to run to the sideline instead of up the middle.

You know what impresses me more about Harvin? not his speed but his strength...dude has a 420 lb bench which it probably is more now..that was when he weighed 185

picasso
12/23/2008, 05:02 PM

please don't tell me that's your spank'n pic.

P3 Gator
12/23/2008, 05:04 PM
please don't tell me that's your spank'n pic.

No, but...

;)

picasso
12/23/2008, 05:06 PM
so let's see here.

they lift weights, catch medicine balls and are very fast. then there's that mysterious spread thing.

mmmk, got it. I have to admit I like you guys 10 times better than Cane fans.

I fart in their direction anytime I can.

P3 Gator
12/23/2008, 05:11 PM
so let's see here.

they lift weights, catch medicine balls and are very fast. then there's that mysterious spread thing.

10 x 0 is still 0.

SoonerBacker
12/23/2008, 05:15 PM
so let's see here.

What UF fans need is a good taunting. And perhaps an African swallow would drop a medicine ball on their heads.

Circle City Gator
12/23/2008, 05:22 PM
OU isn't gonna play 7 in a box and go man against those guys..that would be a recipe for disaster...

I think the key for stopping him is our DEs...they need to have good inside moves instead of the outside shoulder of the tackles...force tebow to run to the sideline instead of up the middle.

You know what impresses me more about Harvin? not his speed but his strength...dude has a 420 lb bench which it probably is more now..that was when he weighed 185

In the "damned if you do, damned if you don't" category, what happens when the ends get caught inside the tackles on option plays?

Circle City Gator
12/23/2008, 05:23 PM
What UF fans need is a good taunting. And perhaps an African swallow would drop a medicine ball on their heads.

Curiously, my father does smell slightly of elderberries. ;)

JLEW1818
12/23/2008, 05:27 PM
QB SPY

JGATOR
12/23/2008, 05:36 PM
And perhaps an African swallow would drop a medicine ball on their heads.

Do you know what ground speed the swallow will fly?;)

IB4OU2
12/23/2008, 05:51 PM
Passing out fish and loaves of bread to the multitude at Pro player might slow him down a bit.

Dan Thompson
12/23/2008, 05:54 PM
I don't know who, but someone is going to be in for a big surprise.

Mark_in_Tulsa
12/23/2008, 06:02 PM

He doesn't look too strong. Looks like he is struggling to just pick up that volleyball.

L-Boy
12/23/2008, 06:04 PM
He doesn't look too strong. Looks like he is struggling to just pick up that volleyball.

Yeah, anybody who only bench presses 400+ lbs is clearly a pu$$y

picasso
12/23/2008, 06:17 PM
Yeah, anybody who only bench presses 400+ lbs is clearly a pu$$y

wow, they do lift weights!

BudSooner
12/23/2008, 06:25 PM
I have it on good authority that Tebow will be handing out leaflets just before game time that read "Tebow saves" so, on that note....everyone just yell and say you lost yours.

Problem solved. :D

BudSooner
12/23/2008, 06:26 PM
Or just put metamucil in the water.

BudSooner
12/23/2008, 06:27 PM
Prune juice works well.

BudSooner
12/23/2008, 06:27 PM
Strippers he can convert?

soonerboy
12/24/2008, 01:52 AM

because absolutely nobody in the big 12 runs the spread:rolleyes:

SimpleBrent
12/24/2008, 04:01 AM

Not really, he just thinks having OSU skull **** the defense for 41 points and over 500 yards is a nice primer to stretch out his sphincter before Tebow makes the vaunted OU D toss his salad. He gets grumpy when he knows it's time to to be someone else's gimp in a BCS game.

Crucifax Autumn
12/24/2008, 04:22 AM
Contrary to a previous poster I think the DEs need to feed him into the middle with their pressure and let the LBs lay the hammer on him when he tries to run. If he does hit a crossing route then either an attentive LB or someone in the secondary needs to come up and demolish the receiver.

We have to play this like Mike Stoops was still here and just pressure the hell out of them and force quick throws, QB runs into the mouth of our D, or bonejarring hits on receivers.

I think we'll do that based on our past few games against teams running the spread with mobile QBs. And if they seem to be reading what we're doing mix up the blitz packages just as we have been doing.

Since71ASooner4Life
12/24/2008, 05:59 AM
The way to stop Tebow is to beat Florida by keeping him off the field. Make some 3rd down stops early in the game to prevent Florida from establishing rhythm. Win the turnover battle. Neutralize their speed on defense by pounding them with Brown straight down their throats for about 150 on 25 carries during the first 3 quarters. Dominate time of possession, and hit a tired defense for a couple of big 4th quarter pass plays that break their spirit.

Circle City Gator
12/24/2008, 07:21 AM
The way to stop Tebow is to beat Florida by keeping him off the field. Make some 3rd down stops early in the game to prevent Florida from establishing rhythm. Win the turnover battle. Neutralize their speed on defense by pounding them with Brown straight down their throats for about 150 on 25 carries during the first 3 quarters. Dominate time of possession, and hit a tired defense for a couple of big 4th quarter pass plays that break their spirit.

:rolleyes:

Really? Let's see how that works, shall we?

Knowshon Moreno (Georgia) for the year- 227 carries, 1338 yards
Knowshon Moreno against Florida- 17 carries, 65 yards

Charles Scott (LSU) for the year- 202 carries, 1109 yards
Charles Scott against Florida- 12 carries, 35 yards

We haven't exactly been giving up tons of yards on the ground. In fact, I think Glenn Coffee, Alabama, was the ONLY 100 yard rusher against us all year. We gave up only 9 rushing touchdowns all year (Oklahoma gave up 18).

Good luck with this plan.

Really.

Go for it.

Desert Sapper
12/24/2008, 08:05 AM
Bottom line? Seven in the box isn't enough, but eight is too many. Ultimately, though, your observation is correct- keying on Tebow requires your DBs to be perfect, against (yes, here it is again, but when you're talking about man-on-man coverage it really matters) Florida's speed.

I guess beating Florida is impossible. Let's just pack up and go on home, folks.

shaun4411
12/24/2008, 08:23 AM
dont you mean, just dont pack up at all and stay home?

East Coast Bias
12/24/2008, 08:32 AM
I believe a running Tebow is our threat in this game, as we have been somewhat vulnerable to this in the past. Regardless of all the Florida slobbering over their other assets, we have seen and handled this all before.We have not faced anyone yet who runs with the lord on his shoulder, but we have to make him pay for his runs.I believe he will be very quick to leave the pocket with our active ends...

Mark_in_Tulsa
12/24/2008, 08:51 AM

We haven't exactly been giving up tons of yards on the ground. In fact, I think Glenn Coffee, Alabama, was the ONLY 100 yard rusher against us all year. We gave up only 9 rushing touchdowns all year (Oklahoma gave up 18).

Really.

Go for it.

Oh no you were able to stop 2 avg. rushing teams. Look we will be the best rushing team and passing team you have seen all year.

Blitzkrieg
12/24/2008, 09:08 AM
I think we will seperate over time on the scoreboard, much like the okie lite game. We lead the nation in tunrover margin, timing of the turnovers will determine the outcome of this game.

Since71ASooner4Life
12/24/2008, 09:10 AM

Really.

Go for it.

Hey Cupcake, you are facing an all senior NFL bound offensive line, and there is a guy throwing the rock that you just might have to take into consideration. But you keep up your smart *** cocky commentary, if that makes you feel like an all knowing big boy.

Soonermagik
12/24/2008, 09:26 AM

Really.

Go for it.

Why the arrogance? Most think Florida has a good defense, but normally the team that rushes the most wins. Both teams are going to want to establish the run to chew up clock and wear out the opposing defense.

I have seen several OU games where OU starts out passing and then sets up the run. If OU starts throwing all over Florida they will have to scoot back and then OU can run. Obviously, that argument goes both ways.

Tebow is a solid runner and accounts for a lot of rushing yards that Florida averages. If OU can force Tebow to throw more than he wants to that matchup favors OU. Tebow is a hammer and a heck of a talent and OU recognizes that. There's no reason to get so defensive or arrogant.

Circle City Gator
12/24/2008, 10:13 AM
Hey Cupcake, you are facing an all senior NFL bound offensive line, and there is a guy throwing the rock that you just might have to take into consideration. But you keep up your smart *** cocky commentary, if that makes you feel like an all knowing big boy.

Aside from the immature insults, just what does this post have to do with what I wrote? I was writing in response to a suggestion how the OU DEFENSE should handle the UF OFFENSE. Just curious, will you "all senior NFL bound offense line" and your quarterback be playing defense? No? I didn't think so.

Putz.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/24/2008, 10:24 AM

i won't lie, dang.
reminds me when pics came out of Adrian. All the whorns thought he was on steroids.

http://images.burntorangenation.com/images/admin/adrianpeterson.jpg

..he's not even flexing.

Circle City Gator
12/24/2008, 10:37 AM
Oh no you were able to stop 2 avg. rushing teams. Look we will be the best rushing team and passing team you have seen all year.

BWAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAA (gasp!) BWAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAA (gasp!) BWAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAA (gasp!) BWAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAA (gasp!) BWAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAA (gasp!) BWAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAA (gasp!) BWAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAA (gasp!) BWAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAA (gasp!) BWAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAA (gasp!)

Okay, ... Okay, ... I think I can type now.

Let's see where Oklahoma's AMAZING rushing numbers come from:

Total yards: 2672 Hey, nice number. Only 300 less than Florida. And against some amazing competition, too.

v. Texas A&M 328 yards. That's pretty impressive, against the 111th ranked rushing defense in the country.

v. Baylor 217 yards. Not bad. They're almost in the top 50, with a rushing defense ranking of 59.

v. Washington 274 yards. I'm surprised you didn't get more. They're rated 8 spots BELOW A&M.

v. Kansas State. Not too bad. Heck, they're rated two spots higher than Washington, with one of the top 117 rushing defenses in the country.

By the way, before you bring up our game against The Citadel, you might want to remember you put 182 yards on Chattanooga.

Zowie! You're a freight train without brakes.

Or are you?

v. TCU 25 yards. Please let me repeat that. TWENTY-FIVE YARDS!!!

v. Texas 48 yards.

You faced two decent defenses all year. You put a TOTAL of 73 rushing yards on them, with your all-senior all-NFL-bound offensive line and your superior rushing game.

I've got to admit, I'm not as scared of it as you seem to think I should be.

But wait, I should be fair. How did Florida do running the ball against good defenses? Were we also held under 50 yards by anybody? Let's look:

v. Alabama 142 yards, third ranked defense behind Texas and TCU. Alabama gives up 5 more yards per game than Texas, and we gained three times as many yards on the ground.

Ole Miss has the sixth ranked running defense. We gained 142 yards against them (oh, if only that had been 143).

Tennessee has the 11th ranked rushing defense (but their offense sucks viciously). We got 147 yards.

LSU has the 16th ranked rushing defense. We put up a mere 265 yards.

I'm pretty comfortable against Oklahoma's ground game.

Soonermagik
12/24/2008, 10:44 AM
BWAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAA (gasp!) BWAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAA (gasp!) BWAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAA (gasp!) BWAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAA (gasp!) BWAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAA (gasp!) BWAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAA (gasp!) BWAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAA (gasp!) BWAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAA (gasp!) BWAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAA (gasp!)

Total yards: 2672 Hey, nice number. Only 300 less than Florida. And against some amazing competition, too.

v. Texas A&M 328 yards. That's pretty impressive, against the 111th ranked rushing defense in the country.

v. Baylor 217 yards. Not bad. They're almost in the top 50, with a rushing defense ranking of 59.

v. Washington 274 yards. I'm surprised you didn't get more. They're rated 8 spots BELOW A&M.

v. Kansas State. Not too bad. Heck, they're rated two spots higher than Washington, with one of the top 117 rushing defenses in the country.

By the way, before you bring up our game against The Citadel, you might want to remember you put 182 yards on Chattanooga.

Or are you?

v. Texas 48 yards.

You faced two decent defenses all year. You put a TOTAL of 73 rushing yards on them, with your all-senior all-NFL-bound offensive line and your superior rushing game.

But wait, I should be fair. How did Florida do running the ball against good defenses? Were we also held under 50 yards by anybody? Let's look:

v. Alabama 142 yards, third ranked defense behind Texas and TCU. Alabama gives up 5 more yards per game than Texas, and we gained three times as many yards on the ground.

Ole Miss has the sixth ranked running defense. We gained 142 yards against them (oh, if only that had been 143).

Tennessee has the 11th ranked rushing defense (but their offense sucks viciously). We got 147 yards.

That TCU stat is pretty telling. It tells me OU doesn't even have to run to win the game. Like I said earlier, if Florida takes away the run OU can pass.

After watching last nights game with TCU & Boise State I think it shows TCU has a solid defense.

Florida will have to focus on OU's receivers and TE's. OU is great at running quick slants, screens, shovel passes, TE dump offs etc..

Oh... and Bradford may be the best QB I have ever seen on the roll out. It's going to be an interesting matchup with OU's offense vs Florida's defense.

Circle City Gator
12/24/2008, 10:52 AM
That TCU stat is pretty telling. It tells me OU doesn't even have to run to win the game. Like I said earlier, if Florida takes away the run OU can pass.

After watching last nights game with TCU & Boise State I think it shows TCU has a solid defense.

Florida will have to focus on OU's receivers and TE's. OU is great at running quick slants, screens, shovel passes, TE dump offs etc..

Oh... and Bradford may be the best QB I have ever seen on the roll out. It's going to be an interesting matchup with OU's offense vs Florida's Defense.

I actually agree with everything you wrote. The above post was in response to a comment about OU's running game. The passing game is a whole different story. IMHO, it is going to come down to whether Florida's corners and safeties can hold coverage for an extra second, and if Florida's fast defensive ends can get to Bradford in that extra second. If not, he can pick us apart.

Your tight end is great, but I think Florida's linebackers match up as well there as anybody you faced all year, probably better. The biggest concern is really your third and fourth receivers against our safeties. Two corners and a safety are great in coverage, but the other safety can take bad angles sometimes, and is more of a hitter than a cover guy.

P3 Gator
12/24/2008, 11:00 AM
I actually agree with everything you wrote. The above post was in response to a comment about OU's running game. The passing game is a whole different story. IMHO, it is going to come down to whether Florida's corners and safeties can hold coverage for an extra second, and if Florida's fast defensive ends can get to Bradford in that extra second. If not, he can pick us apart.

Your tight end is great, but I think Florida's linebackers match up as well there as anybody you faced all year, probably better. The biggest concern is really your third and fourth receivers against our safeties. Two corners and a safety are great in coverage, but the other safety can take bad angles sometimes, and is more of a hitter than a cover guy.

Does Will Hill in a nickle package mitigate any of that??? He has great range, speed, and size.

MojoRisen
12/24/2008, 11:10 AM
Well I think it is safe to say that we will try and run the ball but we are going to open up and score as often and quickly as possible - trust me.

I think your backers are great, however Gresham is 260+ Pounds and 6-6 with freakish appendages. I noticed Wilson was rolling out and hitting the TE's - Bradford is one of the best I have seen at that...

We score 42 - we will see if that is enough...

Since71ASooner4Life
12/24/2008, 11:11 AM
Aside from the immature insults, just what does this post have to do with what I wrote? I was writing in response to a suggestion how the OU DEFENSE should handle the UF OFFENSE. Just curious, will you "all senior NFL bound offense line" and your quarterback be playing defense? No? I didn't think so.

Putz.

Cupcake,

last I checked, my post was not for your consumption or responding to anything you may have said or asked of someone else on this board. You decided to interject your smart *** comments to things I stated to other posters on this message board. You want to be spoken to respectfully, then dont come on here like some brash teenager jumping into OU fans with your crap talk (remember, we're the ones who belong here, and those visitors who cant behave have been told they will be tossed). There are plenty of decent and knowledgeable Florida fans visiting here who have added thought provoking content to this board the last several weeks, but your confrontational BS isn't welcome - got it?

Circle City Gator
12/24/2008, 11:14 AM
Cupcake,

last I checked, my post was not for your consumption or responding to anything you may have said or asked of someone else on this board. You decided to interject your smart *** comments to things I stated to other posters on this message board. You want to be spoken to respectfully, then dont come on here like some brash teenager jumping into OU fans with your crap talk (remember, we're the ones who belong here, and those visitors who cant behave have been told they will be tossed). There are plenty of decent and knowledgeable Florida fans visiting here who have added thought provoking content to this board the last several weeks, but your confrontational BS isn't welcome - got it?

Really? Then why did it include a quote from one of my posts?

And no, I am not your "Cupcake." You are going to have to go looking for man-love elsewhere. I am not interested.

Since71ASooner4Life
12/24/2008, 11:24 AM
Really? Then why did it include a quote from one of my posts?

And no, I am not your "Cupcake." You are going to have to go looking for man-love elsewhere. I am not interested.

Cupcake, go back to my original post that you decided to stick your nose into and attach your smart *** comments, and tell me where these quote marks are that seem to have gotten under your thin skin.

Would you like to STFU now, or should I sound the a-hole alert for the board administrators?

Thin White Duke
12/24/2008, 11:37 AM
The best way to slow down the Gators is to be very disciplined on defense (nothing ground breaking there). We use a lot of misdirection, end arounds and option reads. Alabama did a good job in clogging the middle with Cody and their linebackers were fast enough to stop us from turning the corner. We didn't seem to have them fooled at all. The difference in that game was the deep ball and our receivers stepped up and made some good catches. It was interesting what happened with Harvin out. It made us less explosive but it also forced Tebow to spread the ball around. When we get into the most trouble is when Tebow starts to feel like he has to take over the game and he starts keeping the ball himself too much and not getting anybody but Harvin involved. We get a lot of big plays but most are runs or short passes that the receivers have a lot of YAC. What the stats don't show about the Alabama game was that the long pass plays were actual bombs and not long runs. Alabama really played an excellent game. However, we executed the deep ball as well as we possibly could have and that is why we won. I am looking forward to a great game between two talented and well coached teams.

catsigater
12/24/2008, 11:44 AM
When we get into the most trouble is when Tebow starts to feel like he has to take over the game and he starts keeping the ball himself too much and not getting anybody but Harvin involved.

In a nutshell.

Not having Harvin may have broken him of that habit. UF has yet to play to their potential this year. Close, with Alabama, but we haven't had another team that will force us to play a complete game the way OU will.

delhalew
12/24/2008, 11:55 AM

Or are you?

v. Texas 48 yards.

Hmm...I wonder why he conveniently left the Kansas, Nebraska, Texas Tech, OSU, and Missouri games out when he started spewing over rushing yards.

OOHOHHOHO, I know. Because at midseason, we rededicated ourselves to true balance and our rushing yards greatly improved. Its true we don't need to run. We'll get it wherever you let us, but we will get it. Somewhere on the field there will will be weak spots. We don't care where they are, but we will find them.

Circle City Gator
12/24/2008, 12:05 PM
Cupcake, go back to my original post that you decided to stick your nose into and attach your smart *** comments, and tell me where these quote marks are that seem to have gotten under your thin skin.

Would you like to STFU now, or should I sound the a-hole alert for the board administrators?

Do whatever you want. You are the one calling names and going on the attack. As for my "smart *** comments," I don't know what you're talking about. My comments have all related to football, not to calling people "cupcake," telling them to STFU, or anything of the sort.

So go ahead, run to whomever you wish. Heck, you can tell your mommy somebody is being mean to you for all I care. I have found plenty of interesting and informed football fans here willing to have civil and intelligent discussions. You are not one of them. Therefore, I care not what you do.

starclassic tama
12/24/2008, 03:16 PM
i haven't heard a response to this question from florida fans. how was ole miss able to hit "the greatest leader in the history of college football" in the mouth and walk out of the swamp with a big W? obviously it's not too hard. i love how our D matches up against florida. our DB's and linebackers are fast and physical, and great tacklers. D line is athletic and will get pressure on tebow. it's hilarious that these florida guys think their skill players will run right past brian jackson dom franks lendy and the crew, all 4.4 or better and over 200 lbs. not to mention we have two starting linebakers in the 4.4 range. florida's speed will not be a problem

Mark_in_Tulsa
12/24/2008, 04:19 PM

Or are you?

v. Texas 48 yards.

Look I don't know why your laughing and trying to make your self look like an idiot. All I said is we are the best rushing and passing team you will see all year. I did not say we are better than you at rushing.

Look you faced teams that avg. 134.35 yards per game on defense.
While we faced defences that give up 140.22 yards per game. Big whoop.
And that's not even factoring in the fact that the defences we played also played tougher rushing and passing offences than the defences you played.

So again I will say it again we will be the best rushing and passing team you will have seen all year.

Circle City Gator
12/24/2008, 04:27 PM
Look I don't know why your laughing and trying to make your self look like an idiot. All I said is we are the best rushing and passing team you will see all year. I did not say we are better than you at rushing.

Look you faced teams that avg. 134.35 yards per game on defense.
While we faced defences that give up 140.22 yards per game. Big whoop.
And that's not even factoring in the fact that the defences we played also played tougher rushing and passing offences than the defences you played.

So again I will say it again we will be the best rushing and passing team you will have seen all year.

You are certainly the best passing team we will face all year. You are not the best rushing team, not by a long shot. We have faced at least three teams with better backs. If you win this game, and that is certainly possible, you will do it through the air.

SoonerBoognish
12/24/2008, 04:38 PM
When an SEC team loses to Wyoming at home and gives up more yards to them than they did to Florida, I'm pretty comfortable against Florida's ground game.

catsigater
12/24/2008, 05:02 PM
how was ole miss able to hit "the greatest leader in the history of college football" in the mouth and walk out of the swamp with a big W?

In answer to your intentionally ignernt question:

Turnovers, players who thought they could just show up and win, and a singularly uninspired call on the last play of our last possession.

Oh, and one other thing. That was the only Gator game this year I didn't stay home to watch. I literally turned the game on on the 4th down play. :mad:

Like me asking how the greatest scoring offense in the history of the world lost to TX. You failed to do some things you usually do, and TX did what they had to.

And yes, I know TX is better than Ole Miss, but if you want to follow that argument, be my guest. It leads to 45-35, and the OU fans "3-way tie" screed.

Not once have I challenged OU fans (and they are legion) who say, "We're a different team than we were against TX."

We are not the same team that lost to Ole Miss. Take it for what it's worth.

adoniijahsooner
12/24/2008, 06:10 PM

Turnovers, players who thought they could just show up and win, and a singularly uninspired call on the last play of our last possession.

Oh, and one other thing. That was the only Gator game this year I didn't stay home to watch. I literally turned the game on on the 4th down play. :mad:

Like me asking how the greatest scoring offense in the history of the world lost to TX. You failed to do some things you usually do, and TX did what they had to.

And yes, I know TX is better than Ole Miss, but if you want to follow that argument, be my guest. It leads to 45-35, and the OU fans "3-way tie" screed.

Not once have I challenged OU fans (and they are legion) who say, "We're a different team than we were against TX."

You talk as if our offense failed or something in that game. 35 points is pretty good chunk of points, and in most cases is enough to win that game; and the excuse that Ryan Reynolds getting knocked out the game, and texas throwing the ball in the middle the rest of the game is very valid reason for why we could not stop them.

Last point. Ole Miss scored on a few long drives, but every time you guys talk its as if you fumbled on your own 1 yard line and they had 4 shots to score. No, I see running back breaking away for 30 yard jaunts, and recievers burning dbs, and running free in the secondary. So what was the real reason you failed?

Circle City Gator
12/24/2008, 06:17 PM
[/B]

You talk as if our offense failed or something in that game. 35 points is pretty good chunk of points, and in most cases is enough to win that game; and the excuse that Ryan Reynolds getting knocked out the game, and texas throwing the ball in the middle the rest of the game is very valid reason for why we could not stop them.

Last point. Ole Miss scored on a few long drives, but every time you guys talk its as if you fumbled on your own 1 yard line and they had 4 shots to score. No, I see running back breaking away for 30 yard jaunts, and recievers burning dbs, and running free in the secondary. So what was the real reason you failed?

So 35 points is "a pretty good chunk of points," but 30 points is utter failure?

KC//CRIMSON
12/24/2008, 06:23 PM
Announce over the PA there's a half price sale on crocs and jorts at Wal-Mart.

ETGator1
12/24/2008, 06:35 PM
Play 12 on the Sooner defense and not get caught.

adoniijahsooner
12/24/2008, 06:41 PM
So 35 points is "a pretty good chunk of points," but 30 points is utter failure?

30 is fine, and if I was told that Florida score 30 points, in most cases and against most teams, i would think you guys had won. Everyone talks as if 35 points for us is getting shut down or something, which in fact may be the truth; but if that is the case, you guys have some serious cause for concern.

Iam4OUru
12/24/2008, 07:19 PM
Look we will be the best rushing team and passing team you have seen all year.

Actually, we will be the ONLY rushing and passing team they've seen all year.

national passing rankings:

LSU 67th
Bammer 96th

Appears to me that the run was all they had to worry about. :confused:

catsigater
12/24/2008, 08:20 PM
You talk as if our offense failed or something in that game. 35 points is pretty good chunk of points, and in most cases is enough to win that game; and

See, this is just asinine.

I didn't "talk as if" your offense failed. The obvious point you missed was that you have to win in all phases of a game, which OU did not do against UT (Or is it TU? I can't keep up). UF did not win some critical phases of the game against Ole Miss. Turnovers were a big part of that.

the excuse that Ryan Reynolds getting knocked out the game, and texas throwing the ball in the middle the rest of the game is very valid reason for why we could not stop them.

So you're saying that the loss of one player was what lost the game for OU? I can hear the excuse machine warming up already.

Again, you quote my post as if you're responding to it, but you zero in on only one part and make that your straw man.

I said it was "turnovers, players who thought they could just show up and win, and a singularly uninspired call on the last play of our last possession."

Or if you'd like an unbiased source, here's what he AP reported...

turned the ball over three times, gave up a long pass play late and had some questionable play-calling throughout.

But fumbling anywhere is bad. Ask your coach. He'll tell you turnovers are one of the most reliable predictors of success/failure there are. If you don't take care of the ball, you lose more times than not.

So to correct your deliberate ignernce, it wasn't only turnovers. For whatever reason, the team suffered some serious breakdowns. Those have been corrected, in spades.

But it's fair to say that loss was what propelled our team to where they are today. I don't think the same can be said of OU's loss. Whether that's to OU's advantage or not remains to be seen.

Desert Sapper
12/25/2008, 12:40 AM
dont you mean, just dont pack up at all and stay home?
That works. Less money for airfare and what not.;)

o0Dan0o
12/25/2008, 01:20 AM
I continue to have a similar debate with my brother-in-law, who's a huge whorn homer (much bigger than I am an OU homer). He constantly chants "45-35" and "neutral field", I mostly just get really annoyed with him since every time I bring up one of the many good points about that game he just yells something unrelated over me.

The point is, as most of the gator fans would agree, is that the team that wins is not always the best team. If Ole Miss and Florida played again I think Florida would kill them. If Texas and OU played again it'd be a hell of a game, but I think OU'd win, I think OU is playing MUCH better ball on both sides.

No one hear is saying that OU will rout Florida in the first 10 minutes, but I think we all pretty much agree that our defense is well undervalued in this game. I think Florida will score, but won't get to their average. I think the same is likely true for OU, so the question is who will score more. With OU's balance on offense (we've really come around after the RRS, in terms of rushing) I think we get a small edge there.

In the end, probably a 3-10 point game.
Dan

adoniijahsooner
12/25/2008, 05:47 AM

So the part in bold letters should be not considered placing the blame on the offense? I guess I can't comprehend, or maybe just ignorant? Tell me how we failed offensively, or am I just misreading what you are saying, because I dont see any other phase of the game mentioned in your entire text.

adoniijahsooner
12/25/2008, 05:55 AM
I continue to have a similar debate with my brother-in-law, who's a huge whorn homer (much bigger than I am an OU homer). He constantly chants "45-35" and "neutral field", I mostly just get really annoyed with him since every time I bring up one of the many good points about that game he just yells something unrelated over me.

The point is, as most of the gator fans would agree, is that the team that wins is not always the best team. If Ole Miss and Florida played again I think Florida would kill them. If Texas and OU played again it'd be a hell of a game, but I think OU'd win, I think OU is playing MUCH better ball on both sides.

No one hear is saying that OU will rout Florida in the first 10 minutes, but I think we all pretty much agree that our defense is well undervalued in this game. I think Florida will score, but won't get to their average. I think the same is likely true for OU, so the question is who will score more. With OU's balance on offense (we've really come around after the RRS, in terms of rushing) I think we get a small edge there.

In the end, probably a 3-10 point game.
Dan

I don't agree, because Florida has a history of getting their arses kicked by Ole Miss. This is recent history and not something that has taken place 20 years ago; so Florida can say they are a better team, but hold ole miss gets the win. Texas has beaten us 3 out 4, so in reality how much talking can we do in terms of who is a better team? Truth be told when OU and UF slam into each other on Jan 8, no one is gonna care what happened in those games.

P3 Gator
12/25/2008, 10:43 AM
I don't agree, because Florida has a history of getting their arses kicked by Ole Miss. This is recent history and not something that has taken place 20 years ago; so Florida can say they are a better team, but hold ole miss gets the win. Texas has beaten us 3 out 4, so in reality how much talking can we do in terms of who is a better team? Truth be told when OU and UF slam into each other on Jan 8, no one is gonna care what happened in those games.

Bama (or any Saban coached team) is a tough team and UF owned them in the fourth quarter. So, UF isn't going to get pushed around or worn down. UF had one bad day against Ole Miss...no excuses. But, if you want to talk about a recent history of issues, how do you explain OU's bowl performances over the recent past?

Here are some fun facts to chew on. And OU tends to play Bradford deep in to the game.

OU: 418-140 in the 1st half, then 222-155 in the 2nd half
Florida : 304-41 1st half, 262-96 2nd half

OU : 65% of points in 1st half, 35% in 2nd, 11% in 4th quarter
Florida: 53% of points in 1st half, 47% in 2nd, 22% in 4th quarter

This cuts both ways; if OU jumps on UF early, time for UF fans to worry a bit. If not, UF seems to play an entire 4 quarters more so than OU.

catsigater
12/25/2008, 01:09 PM
So the part in bold letters should be not considered placing the blame on the offense? I guess I can't comprehend, or maybe just ignorant? Tell me how we failed offensively, or am I just misreading what you are saying, because I dont see any other phase of the game mentioned in your entire text.

Yes, you are misreading. Because you're understanding my remarks out of context. (Journalism major, maybe?) :P

So here's the context. I was responding to starclassic, who said...

how was ole miss able to hit "the greatest leader in the history of college football" in the mouth and walk out of the swamp with a big W?

So then I said...

See, that was the real answer to the question, giving what I thought were the real reasons we lost.

Then, I gave an intentionally ignernt answer as a retort to the "intentionally ignernt" question starclassic asked. (Notice the word, "like," in the following, indicating that my question is intentionally ignernt, just like starclassic's.)

Like me asking how the greatest scoring offense in the history of the world lost to TX.

But the real answer to why both teams lost was this:

You failed to do some things you usually do, and TX did what they had to.

I hope it's now clear: I wasn't blaming OU's offense. I was saying that blaming the offense, is just as ingnernt as blaming, "the greatest leader in the history of college football" for UF's loss. (which is what starclassic was doing).

My question was like his question, intentionally ignernt.

I need a drink.

ClintonSooner
12/25/2008, 01:21 PM
Bama (or any Saban coached team) is a tough team and UF owned them in the fourth quarter. So, UF isn't going to get pushed around or worn down. UF had one bad day against Ole Miss...no excuses. But, if you want to talk about a recent history of issues, how do you explain OU's bowl performances over the recent past?

Here are some fun facts to chew on. And OU tends to play Bradford deep in to the game.

This cuts both ways; if OU jumps on UF early, time for UF fans to worry a bit. If not, UF seems to play an entire 4 quarters more so than OU.

That doesnt help you at all... It shows florida is still in the game in the 4th with a "down" sec conf this year... no bueno

adoniijahsooner
12/25/2008, 01:36 PM
Yes, you are misreading. Because you're understanding my remarks out of context. (Journalism major, maybe?) :P

So here's the context. I was responding to starclassic, who said...

So then I said...

See, that was the real answer to the question, giving what I thought were the real reasons we lost.

Then, I gave an intentionally ignernt answer as a retort to the "intentionally ignernt" question starclassic asked. (Notice the word, "like," in the following, indicating that my question is intentionally ignernt, just like starclassic's.)

But the real answer to why both teams lost was this:

I hope it's now clear: I wasn't blaming OU's offense. I was saying that blaming the offense, is just as ingnernt as blaming, "the greatest leader in the history of college football" for UF's loss. (which is what starclassic was doing).

My question was like his question, intentionally ignernt.

I need a drink.

Okay, now I got cha

catsigater
12/25/2008, 01:42 PM
:)

Mark_in_Tulsa
12/25/2008, 01:57 PM

Well lets look at facts.
Bradford was pulled with 103 min and 50 sec left in the game over the course of the season.

Tebow has been pulled with 95 min and 30 sec left in the game over the course of the season.

Howzit
12/25/2008, 03:04 PM
I have it on good authority that there is an intricate plan in place for addressing Tebow's speed.

During the coin toss, there will be an "accidental" power loss which will take out the stadium lights for 23 seconds....just enough time for Jimmy Stevens - all 5' 6" of him - to sneak onfield and tie Tebow's shoelaces together.

During the game, everytime Tim looks like he might be noticing, the entire Sooner sideline will yell random bible verses to distract him. Like this:

:les: SAMUEL 17:49!!!!

You heard it here first.

L-Boy
12/25/2008, 03:51 PM
[/B]

The offense failed to the extent they did not score enough points to beat TX. The whole argument by some OU fans is that OU offense is SO overwhelming, they are unstoppable, they can score at will, evidence the offensive stats and points. 35 points is good scoring production by any measure, but if your D gives up 45, then maybe they are not as other worldly as advertised.

The argument by most OU fans is that the TX game was somewhat of an exception, and did not represent OU's best performance, even their typical performance. You are actually kind of contradicting that. I hope you are right. Kind of an odd argument for you to make, you are essentially saying TX was, and is a better team than you. If OU plays comparably to the way the play TX, I think UF wins, easily.

While the loss of a key player can certainly hurt, I think it is a bit of a weak argument. UF had Harvin out against Bama, but still prevailed. D Murray is going to be out, so are you conceding the game right now?

I will buy the OU argument, to some extent, that the OU offense is better since TX. Maybe the hurry up no huddle thing has made a difference. However, since TX you really haven't played a decent defense, so I can't tell for sure if OU's offense is that much better. When playing against a mediocre defense, anything you can to run off more plays faster is probably a good thing. But will that work against a good defense? Not entirely clear to me.

catsigater
12/25/2008, 04:37 PM
Well lets look at facts.
Bradford was pulled with 103 min and 50 sec left in the game over the course of the season.

Tebow has been pulled with 95 min and 30 sec left in the game over the course of the season.

So why do the OU fans think a difference of 8 minute and 20 seconds (around 38 seconds per game) over the course of a season is significant ?

Wait, I know...

Bradford could've sat out at least 15 more minutes against MU. :rolleyes:

Mark_in_Tulsa
12/25/2008, 05:08 PM
So why do the OU fans think a difference of 8 minute and 20 seconds (around 38 seconds per game) over the course of a season is significant ?

Wait, I know...

Bradford could've sat out at least 15 more minutes against MU. :rolleyes:

Look at the context of the post I was quoting. Saying Bradford "tends to play late into a game" is an idiotic comment. Tebow nor Bradford tend to play late into a game.

catsigater
12/25/2008, 05:24 PM
Look at the context of the post I was quoting. Saying Bradford "tends to play late into a game" is an idiotic comment. Tebow nor Bradford tend to play late into a game.

Ok, I see what you mean. But I also hear OU fans saying how much down time Bradford has had this year. My only point was Bradford sat out 38 seconds more per game than Tebow. Not much of a difference. That chestnut needs to die.

They've both played late into games when necessary.

I think the perception that Bradford "plays late into games" when he might not need to, came from watching the MU and TTU games, where you guys were obviously going for style points. (Again, not that I blame the coaches, but there's no doubt both games were settled well prior to Bradford's last series in each).