PDA

View Full Version : Nice Madu story

CaliBornSoonerBred
12/23/2008, 11:21 AM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/extra/article.aspx?subjectID=92&tab=ou&articleid=20081223_92_B1_Oklaho632526

NORMAN — On Aug. 6, on a steamy morning inside his football stadium, Mossis Madu was one of the first Oklahoma Sooners to make a BCS decree.

"We haven't won a BCS game, or a bowl game, in a looonng time," Madu said at OU's media day. "We're trying to prove we don't have the hype for no reason. We're a good team. Every year we're out there to win a national championship.

"Come bowl game, it's all we hear about. 'We're 0-for-our-last-whatever in BCS games.' Or, 'OU can't do nothing.' It feels like everyone's against us.

"But it's cool being the underdog, because you go out and prove otherwise."

It's fitting, then, that five months later, the sophomore running back might have a lot to do with changing those perceptions in the BCS National Championship on Jan. 8.

With DeMarco Murray sidelined after hamstring surgery, Madu and junior Chris Brown are expected to form the Sooners' 1-2 punch in the backfield against Florida.They excelled in that role at the Big 12 Championship Dec. 6, combining for 236 yards and six touchdowns after Murray went down on the opening kickoff.

Brown is a proven commodity, having rushed for a team-leading 1,110 yards and 20 scores this season, and 3,064 yards and 33 TDs in his three years in Norman. Madu is more of a wild card, in several ways.

"He's similar to DeMarco in that he's a shifty guy," Brown said. "He can catch the ball well out of the slot or out of the backfield."

So sure are Madu's hands that Stoops said the preseason plan was to get him on the field more in the slot. But Murray, tight end Jermaine Gresham and wide receiver Ryan Broyles were so dynamic in that position that it was tough for Madu to do more than make cameo tailback/setback appearances.

He rushed for 349 yards and three touchdowns doing so, before exploding for a career-high 114 yards and three scores in the Murray-less Big 12 Championship.

"I wasn't expecting to have a day like that. I wasn't expecting to get more than three (snaps) the whole day, to tell you the truth," Madu said. "I was all smiles, I'm not gonna lie."

Is he capable of an encore against the Gators?

"Actually, I think he's capable of more," declared center Jon Cooper. "We see it from him every day. That was kind of his first chance. Wait till he gets into a rhythm. He'll do even better."

It appears the Sooners are ready to give Madu that chance.

Asked Monday night if OU's plan is to have him split the BCS Championship workload down the middle with Brown, Madu replied: "That's what it's looking like right now."

It is an opportunity three years in coming for Madu, who redshirted as a freshman and played behind Brown, Murray and Allen Patrick in 2007.

It is an opportunity he was willing to wait for even when he signed out of Norman High School in February of '06, when the Sooner backfield included Adrian Peterson.

"I could have gone to UCLA and played early or TCU and played early," Madu said. "But I decided I wanted to win games. I wanted to come here and be around great things."

Thus his willingness to show a little attitude at media day last August. Come Jan. 8, he can show a lot more than that.

"I feel fortunate to have had quality players step up and really answer the call in those situations," Stoops said, recounting the loss of runners like Adrian Peterson and Allen Patrick, and now Murray, over the last several years.

"What are you gonna do? Guys get hurt, no one's gonna feel bad for you. You play the next guy."

Finally, Madu is that guy for the Sooners.

"I knew my time would come. It was about patience," he said. "And it's come."

Boomer38Sooner
12/23/2008, 11:50 AM
Good for him. I know that in my house, we are always excited to see him play because of all the energy he brings to the field. Good job Mossis!

Boomer.....
12/23/2008, 11:55 AM
Great read. He is a real humble guy.

delhalew
12/23/2008, 11:59 AM
I commend him for keeping a good attitude while waiting his turn for 3 yrs. Thats gotta be hard for a kid with his talent.

King Crimson
12/23/2008, 12:06 PM
in addition to Mossis being a Norman High guy, i'd love to see some the "breakout" stuff we saw against Missouri with Murray gonzo.

BoomerSooner, esq.
12/23/2008, 12:09 PM
Madu has showed signs of a great RB a number of times this year. I think he is going to take this opportunity to show the coaches and fans that he is right up there talent-wise with Murray and Brown. I wouldnt be surprised to see him hit 150 yards and 2 touchdowns.

instigator
12/23/2008, 12:14 PM
Man I love having local kids on the team like that. I think they echo how most of us feel when they talk about just wanting to be here and wearing these colors. I am sure that is what most of us dreamed about doing growing up around Norman.

BoulderSooner79
12/23/2008, 12:21 PM
I'm really happy to see Stoop's comment about Madu having good hands. Other than experience, I think receiving skills are the biggest thing we lose with DM being out.

OUMallen
12/23/2008, 12:27 PM
I really like that kid.

sooneredaco
12/23/2008, 12:28 PM
Man I love having local kids on the team like that. I think they echo how most of us feel when they talk about just wanting to be here and wearing these colors. I am sure that is what most of us dreamed about doing growing up around Norman.

Your so right on. I think of players like Rocky, Jason, Trent and so many other local Sooner greats that have had such an impact on Championship teams ( I feel like I'm missing someone..... oh yeah Bradford :-). They play with so much pride and passion. Articles like this get me so pumped up and ready for 1/08/09 to hurry up and get here. The anticipation is killing me.

Boomer Sooner!!

meoveryouxinfinity
12/23/2008, 12:36 PM
Makes me feel better about the situation. Still sick to my stomach about DeMarco though, I can't imagine anything worse. And it must be a really serious injury..five months out? That's amazing.

Murray was our biggest threat vs UF. Now that he's out, Madu has a chance to be even more of a threat. You have to know UF is taking Madu less seriously than they would've taken Murray.

oupride
12/23/2008, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the post

SoonerBBall
12/23/2008, 01:06 PM
Murray was our biggest threat vs UF. Now that he's out, Madu has a chance to be even more of a threat. You have to know UF is taking Madu less seriously than they would've taken Murray.

All due respect to Murray, but Sam Bradford is the biggest threat on the field. I wish Murray wasn't out, but if I had to choose between him and Sam it is Sam every time.

Also, I hope they take Madu less seriously and he runs it down their throat.

A-M
12/23/2008, 01:07 PM

My hope is that Madu will make UF regret the day they had to stop him on the field. Hopefully, he has his best game that includes 4 TD's on the ground and 2 TD's in the air.;)

OU_Sooners75
12/23/2008, 01:09 PM
I know one thing. There will be little to no drop off in production without Murray.

I love watching him play, but what I said is a contribute to the team OU has, not a knock on Murray.

More_Cowbell
12/23/2008, 01:19 PM
Thanks for posting that article.

I do a lot of reading on this board, but not a lot of posting. For some reason, this article makes me feel good about the game in Miami.

Boomer Sooner!!!

Curly Bill
12/23/2008, 01:55 PM
Cool story.

King Crimson
12/23/2008, 02:23 PM
if we can't run block a legit front 4/front 7 like much of the UT game, it won't matter who's playing RB.

Boomer38Sooner
12/23/2008, 03:52 PM
if we can't run block a legit front 4/front 7 like much of the UT game, it won't matter who's playing RB.

I completely agree. BUT, our O-line has had a different attitude the whole season after the Texas game

KingDavid
12/23/2008, 04:41 PM
With all respect for Murray, I think there are only three ways that Murrays absence will be noticed.

1) If Madu breaks into the open field and gets caught from behind, then maybe that wouldn't have happened with Murray . . . but I still don't think he had the full top gear like he did last year. I don't think the pre-injury Murray gets caught from behind on the long run @ A&M.

2) Here's the biggie: if Madu puts the ball on the ground, then we'll miss Murray - who has been very sure handed with the ball. That's the problem with breaking in a running back who hasn't had a lot of carries: protecting the ball. There's just no substitute for experience when it comes to taking care of the ball.

3) Kick returns is a big deal. I don't see anyone on our roster with the combination of shakes, vision, and straight line speed like Murray. And the experience (again, protecting the ball) is just invaluable. Anyone know who we're putting back there? If he was healthy, my money would be on Manny to fill that gap. Otherwise, I guess maybe Madu, Broyles, Justin Johnson, Manny, or Tunnell? Brown is another possibility. Anybody from the defensive side of the ball - maybe Franks or Holmes?