PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning...Beast Butler Infuriates Jeff Davis

Okla-homey
12/23/2008, 07:03 AM
December 23, 1862: Davis declares Butler a felon

146 years ago today, Confederate President Jefferson Davis declares US General Benjamin Butler a felon and insists that he be hanged if captured. Butler had earned few friends in New Orleans-indeed, his treatment of the city's residents outraged most Southerners.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/9797/butler333pxbenjaminfranln6.jpg
Benjamin F. Butler

The Union captured New Orleans in early 1862 and Butler became the military commander of the city. His actions there soon made him the most hated Yankee in the Confederacy. Butler worked to root out all signs of the Confederacy from the city. He hanged a gambler who tore down an American flag and he ordered civil officers, attorneys, and clergy to take an oath of allegiance to the United States.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/6628/butler96753403d68310488lb2.jpg
Folks in NOLA hated Butler so much that clay pee-pots with his image transfered therein were a popular item. Pre-Katrina, you could buy reproductions at the Confederate Museum gift shop in modern NOLA.

Most notoriously, he offended southern women with General Order No. 28, which stated that any woman who insulted Union troops would "be treated as a woman of the town plying her avocation." :eek:

"As the officers and soldiers of the United States have been subjected to repeated insults from the women (calling themselves ladies) of New Orleans, in return for the most scrupulous noninterference and courtesy on our part, it is ordered that hereafter when any female shall, by word, gesture, or movement, insult or show contempt for any officer or soldier of the United States, she shall be regarded and held liable to be treated as a woman of the town plying her avocation." -- General Order 28. MG Benjamin F. Butler, Commanding US Forces

Butler confiscated the property of rebels and was accused of stealing silver spoons from the locals, earning him the nickname "Spoons." Butler's brother, Andrew, gained permits to trade in the area and made a fortune from the sale of contraband items.

Southerners began to view Butler's mistreatment of New Orleans residents as a symbol of Yankee rudeness. Perhaps only William T. Sherman, who led the famously destructive march across Georgia, earned greater opprobrium in the South.

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/7889/insane7zowh7.jpg

swardboy
12/23/2008, 10:57 AM
Ah, Total War, I love it.

LoyalFan
12/24/2008, 12:17 AM
A "Beast" he may have been to some, but he was a successful career officer. Also...If he were still in charge in Nawlins one could walk safely down BourbonStrasse at any hour. He kept order whereas no one has since.
Effin' sore losers...Feh!

LF
Gentleman Of The South for The Union and The Right!

TUSooner
12/24/2008, 09:24 AM
His "beastliness" was vastly overstated.
Buncha whiners!

OUDoc
12/24/2008, 09:34 AM
Did they chant "Tiger Bait" at him? ;)

Okla-homey
12/24/2008, 01:23 PM
His "beastliness" was vastly overstated.
Buncha whiners!

...and I still proudly possess my Pre-Katrina repop Beast Butler pee-pot hand-delivered by a certain NOLA denizen lo these several years ago. A check of the museum website reveals they haven't re-opened the gift shop BTW.

olevetonahill
12/24/2008, 02:44 PM
Man I almost missed this Chance to say
Damn Yankees.

NYC Poke
12/24/2008, 03:16 PM
Between this and the tank thread from yesterday, I'm starting to think that Homey might be flirting with SicEm.

SicEmBaylor
12/24/2008, 03:51 PM
Between this and the tank thread from yesterday, I'm starting to think that Homey might be flirting with SicEm.

He's not flirting with me --he's baiting me, and it's hard not to bite.

BigRedJed
12/24/2008, 03:54 PM
We've all known for some time that the Homester is a master baiter.

SicEmBaylor
12/24/2008, 04:03 PM
We've all known for some time that the Homester is a master baiter.

Heh. :D

Okla-homey
12/24/2008, 04:50 PM
U know whats funny? I get negged by the Reb partisans on here for my uniformly pro-Federal perspective on these Silver Woah dealios, but nevertheless, of you go back and look, the Silver Woah Good Mornings generally illicit the greatest number of responses. That's why I tend to default to Civil War history at 5am when I draft these things if there is nothing potentially more interesting.

I also admit I tend to beat-up on the Cornfeds, but dang it, I happen to believe it was best for us all the blue guys won.

To be clear, I don't begrudge the rank and file Confederate soldier for his valorous defense of hearth and home. In fact, it's cause for celebration. I am proud to number a few among my forebears. They were American soldiers and they are as worthy of our respect and admiration as the Battling Bastards of Bataan, the 101st Airborne at Bastogne or Washington's troops at Valley Forge. For that matter, I can even understand many Confederate officers' decision to throw in with their state, particularly given early 19th century Americans tended to think of themselves first as "Virginians", "Alabamians," etc. versus "Americans."

What irritates my sensibilities is when contemporary Confederate apologists attempt to advance the notion the war wasn't first and foremost about the defense of the "peculiar institution" of human chattel slavery.

That notion is quite simply insulting and is also rank revisionism. Therefore, the Southern "aristocracy" who fomented and financed the Rebellion while beating the drum to encourage Johnny the Cracker to put down his plow to "repel the evil Abolitionist horde" and "defend Southern rahts," was completely deserving of the utter ruin meted out by Billy Sherman and Co. In the South especially, it was truly a "rich man's war and a poor boys' fight." Karma, it has been said, is a beyotch.

SoonerBorn68
12/24/2008, 11:31 PM
You get negged by the local Reb partisans for being a pompous, chest swelled yankee. That's all. Kinda like Butler...only with no teeth, just bark.

Okla-homey
12/25/2008, 08:31 AM
You get negged by the local Reb partisans for being a pompous, chest swelled yankee. That's all. Kinda like Butler...only with no teeth, just bark.

Yankee/schmankee. How about loyal citizen, formerly of twenty-three years of honorable service in the Armed Forces of the United States? Feel free to whistle Dixie, drink mint julips and pine for what might have been all you want. What's important is, the rebellion was put down and the sordid practice of treating human beings as property was consigned to the trash heap of United States history. Merry Christmas.

SoonerBorn68
12/25/2008, 08:57 AM
& see, that's what I mean. I've posted on this board for over 5 years & I know your service record, up/down, left/right but I have to be reminded of it every other post. Pompous. Holier than thou. Thanks for living up to my neg.

God bless you and your service to our country, but holy crap, get over yourself.

Merry Christmas.

Okla-homey
12/25/2008, 09:11 AM
& see, that's what I mean. I've posted on this board for over 5 years & I know your service record, up/down, left/right but I have to be reminded of it every other post. Pompous. Holier than thou. Thanks for living up to my neg.

God bless you and your service to our country, but holy crap, get over yourself.

Merry Christmas.

I apologize for all my shortcomings. Perhaps you should put my posts on "ignore" or something.

LoyalFan
12/25/2008, 09:38 AM

Merry Christmas.

At ease, trooper.

And a most sincere Merry, Safe, and Loving Chrstmas to you and yours.

LF
AKA "Lancer6"