PDA

View Full Version : Tebow's anger might motivate him to leave Florida early

oupride
12/22/2008, 09:44 PM
Have you heard this? Tim Tebow vs Mel Kiper (http://thebiglead.com/?p=10247#more-10247)

Tim Tebow recently made an appearance on Mel Kiper’s ESPN radio show where he confronted our favorite helmet-haired analyst as to why he’s been questioning his ability to be a successful quarterback in the NFL:

“You tell me this,” Tebow said. “What do you think I need to do to be an NFL quarterback? You tell me that.”

I like the fire, most guys wouldn’t be so direct with an angry hawk such as Mel.

Kiper’s response:

“You’re just too good with the ball in your hands not to think, Could he be Frank Wycheck? Could he be Chris Cooley? That’s why,” Kiper said. “You’re too good, doing what you do, Tim, running with the football. You’re just too good with the ball in your hands.”

Last year’s Heisman Trophy winner must have been honored that Mel mentioned him in the same breath as tight ends Frank Wycheck and Chris Cooley. He responded to Kiper’s wimpy critique by pointing out that the quarterback has the ball in his hands every play.

And via CollegeFootballTalk:

ESPN’s Joe Schad reported that he had a conversation with Tebow in which Tebow said he was mad that people don’t think he’ll be a great NFL quarterback and mad that he didn’t win the Heisman Trophy, and that his anger might motivate him to leave Florida early.

Aw, look at that, selfless, giving volunteers have precious egos too.

In regard to Tebow’s chances in the NFL, there’s been far too much weight being put on what Alex Smith and his tiny hands haven’t done, and will never do with the 49ers. Yeah, he learned under the same system, I get it. But completely different player.

I’m pretty sure Alex Smith is more concerned about the neatness of his sideburns and well-manicured eyebrows than to be bothered with such frivolous things like actually succeeding on the field.

Still, if Tebow was to enter the draft, he’s probably better off slipping several picks anyway. Less pressure, although that philosophy didn’t exactly work out too well for Matt Leinart. But then again, Matty wasn’t so insanely serious, as he opted for playing the bongos on some chick’s *** rather spending his spring break conducting circumcisions.

SoonerLB
12/22/2008, 09:57 PM
Dear Sooner Claus,

Please make little Timmy go away.

P.S. Please send me a playmate for Christmas. You know, like in that magazine. And a new Sooner jacket too! :D

stoops the eternal pimp
12/22/2008, 09:57 PM
If a college athlete bases any decision on what Kiper says, they are a fool

delhalew
12/22/2008, 09:58 PM
Good, maybe he'll get it in his head he has to prove himself in the air against us. Even if its subconscious, that would be very good for us.

sooner94
12/22/2008, 10:16 PM
The more I hear this guy talk, the more it sounds like Tim Tebow's world is all about Tim Tebow.

Guy needs to get over himself.

insuranceman_22
12/23/2008, 01:09 AM
I don't know what Tebow will do in the NFL, but he's a stud in college. Don't really have a helluva lot of concern about him, I'm concerned about OUr Defense in general. I hope the Carter & Harris mean streaks come OUt for this game. We need to play fundamentally sound, with a pissed-off, mean-streak for an attitude and bring the wood every play. Tebow is good, but OUr denfense has the athlete's to rise up and bring some pain......here's to hoping we're to that point in early January!

Piware
12/23/2008, 02:14 AM
Maybe he is mad enough to go but hope he thinks it through. Otherwise, he will find himself preaching to the masses in Detroit - home of the worst NFL team in history.

Better buy yourself a bullet proof vest Timbow - and that's just for going to the mall. Take your pick of gangstas or hacked off auto workers. It should be a barrel of fun.:eek:

ETGator1
12/23/2008, 02:28 AM
Tim isn't going any where. He'll be back with UF in 09.

I'd put the odds that Percy Harvin and Brandon Spikes leave at 50%.

Crucifax Autumn
12/23/2008, 02:53 AM
He may be the Jesus of the college sports media, but it does seem he's being crucified by the pro football talking heads.

Toronto Sooner
12/23/2008, 03:22 AM
McShay thinks that chances are not too good for Tebow making it as an NFL quarterback - he might have to try another position. He is concerned about Tebow's long delivery, and is also concerned about the offense he is operating within in college.

I happen to agree with McShay on these points. His delivery is very difficult to watch. He doesn't only have a long wind up, but it's awkward looking. It doesn't seem very naturally flowing or structured properly at all. It's almost as if it's undeveloped, especially for a 3rd year college player. I know that most people praised his Conf. Champ. game performance, but I wasn't one of them. I was not impressed with his throws at all. In key situations he kept throwing the ball extremely low to the ground. His receivers had to bail him out on a number of occasions, including on a couple of touchdown passes. I also don't like how he (seems) to like throwing across the field - again, much too risky for the NFL, where defenses will sniff that out and kill you.

If teams don't see him as a solid NFL starter at quarterback (at some point down the road) then my guess is that chances are slim that he will be a first rounder in the draft, and might even fall out of the second round, depending on how teams view his chances of adjusting to another position in the NFL. I don't see him making the adjustment like a Randle El, as I don't see Tebow contributing in as many ways (i.e. I don't see Tebow as a punt returner). Also, although McShay can picture Tebow as a Chris Cooley (Tight End) type, I personally don't quite see that. Tebow has not proven as yet to be a naturally gifted pass catcher as Cooley. It takes more than having a big body to be a Tight End.

In my view, Tim Tebow has done absolutely nothing to demonstrate that he can effectively run a pro-style (nfl) offense as a quarterback - running up and down the field, like an emotional (flake) mad man, and head bumping your special teams players (without your helmet on) is not my idea of running a pro-style offense (it's not even being a responsible player).

IMO, it would be in his best interest to stay in school next year and work on his throwing mechanics, if he wants to cut it as a quarterback in the NFL or work himself into a p/t non-quarterback role and focus on developing himself at that new position in his senior year in college.

Crucifax Autumn
12/23/2008, 03:36 AM
I'd rather see him go now and FAIL

SoonerAtKU
12/23/2008, 08:01 AM
You know, it sounds like Kiper was being nice and didn't want to tell a kid off to his face on national radio. I mean, if he says "You've got a silly throwing motion, you come from an offense that has produced no quality NFL QBs, you run a system that doesn't ask you to make any difficult throws, and you're not asked to win games with your arm." then he looks like a ********* for calling a kid out and possibly hurting his draft stock. If he says "you're too good a runner" then it's a compliment and a criticism, and we can all move on. Except Timmy.

Here's what you can do to be a better NFL QB: Learn to throw the 15 yd out on a rope. Square up when you roll out to pass. Stop throwing back across the field. Stop throwing that stupid Jump Pass. Stop throwing off of your back foot altogether. Stop looking to run when you have a 5 yard opportunity. Stay in the backfield and find an open man instead of taking a shot from a linebacker. Basically, learn how to manage an offense from the QB role, instead of being Mike Vick's boring, white cousin.

P3 Gator
12/23/2008, 08:18 AM
I was not impressed with his throws at all. In key situations he kept throwing the ball extremely low to the ground. His receivers had to bail him out on a number of occasions, including on a couple of touchdown passes.

Those THREE TD passes in the SECCG were very good passes; yes, low, but thrown where they needed to be.

He threw a couple of bad passes that game. He missed a streaking receiver over the middle, throwing behind him and dumped another in to the ground while he was being chased down (actually a RB who wasn't really open). The pass to Hernandez (tight end) was high and he made a great catch.

However, you can't look at his QB rating and say that it's all his receivers saving him. It's just not possible to make that high a percentage of catches if all balls are thrown poorly. They're not pretty a lot of times, but they are effective and that's what counts.

His throwing motion is atrocious. Can it be fixed? That's up to the NFL guys to figure out. To me, left handed deliveries always look odd.

O-town Gator
12/23/2008, 08:28 AM
ESPN’s Joe Schad reported that he had a conversation with Tebow in which Tebow said he was mad that people don’t think he’ll be a great NFL quarterback and mad that he didn’t win the Heisman Trophy, and that his anger might motivate him to leave Florida early.

Total BS.

IMO, it would be in his best interest to stay in school next year and work on his throwing mechanics, if he wants to cut it as a quarterback in the NFL or work himself into a p/t non-quarterback role and focus on developing himself at that new position in his senior year in college.

Agreed; one more year in college can help him improve his mechanics and boost his draft stock; also, working with a new OC and QB coach in 2009 at UF will show the NFL scouts that he can adapt to changes in coaching personnel. If his parents and to some extent Coach Meyer have any influence on his decision, Tim will stay for his senior year and graduate before he enters the draft - and IMO it's the smart thing to do. The NFL doesn't guarantee success for any player, and a college degree gives him something to fall back on.

P3 Gator
12/23/2008, 08:45 AM
Total BS.

Agreed; one more year in college can help him improve his mechanics and boost his draft stock; also, working with a new OC and QB coach in 2009 at UF will show the NFL scouts that he can adapt to changes in coaching personnel. If his parents and to some extent Coach Meyer have any influence on his decision, Tim will stay for his senior year and graduate before he enters the draft - and IMO it's the smart thing to do. The NFL doesn't guarantee success for any player, and a college degree gives him something to fall back on.

I believe he earned his degree this term or will next term. Either way, he graduates before next season. I'm really kind of amazed at all the Tebow hating going on over here. You finally get a great role model who plays hard and with determination, does mission work, does speaking engagements at prisons, spends spring break in the Philippines, etc, and he somehow is made in to this terrible selfish person. Guess Plaxico Burress should be who we aspire to be. Amazing.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/23/2008, 08:51 AM
Anyone hating on Tebow the person is a fool. Nothing but praise for the young man he is but if we are talking NFL skill level...the big goof needs tons of work(but so will anyone really..even Sam)

SoonerAtKU
12/23/2008, 08:52 AM
Speaking for myself, I don't hate him. He's a good player and seems to be a pretty great person. I was speaking directly to his belief that he's NFL ready as-is. I don't agree, and it sounds like most of you don't either.

OUDoc
12/23/2008, 09:14 AM
The more I hear this guy talk, the more it sounds like Tim Tebow's world is all about Tim Tebow.

Guy needs to get over himself.

Exactly.

and mad that he didn’t win the Heisman Trophy,
I could have sworn he did. How many does that buttcheek want?

delhalew
12/23/2008, 10:00 AM
I don't hate the kid, but I'm sure as hell sick of him. That is ESPN and sports talk radio's fault, not Tims. That said, the kid survives on will alone. Not one of you can convince me he is a top teir QB. I know his stats from last year and I've seen him play this. Heart...that is why he wins. The kid has got a ton of heart, but he wants to go to the NFL he needs to learn to be a better passer.

Don't give me that "its ugly, but it gets the job done" crap. It barely gets the job done. In the pros, it will not do.

adoniijahsooner
12/23/2008, 10:26 AM
If he can't take a little criticism from Kiper, I dont know if he has the mental toughness to make it in the NFL, ala vince young, who had the same praises heaped on him in college.

SoonerLB
12/23/2008, 10:37 AM
I ....... You finally get a great role model who plays hard and with determination, does mission work, does speaking engagements at prisons, spends spring break in the Philippines, etc, and he somehow is made in to this terrible selfish person. Guess Plaxico Burress should be who we aspire to be. Amazing.

We have a great role model, his name is Sam Bradford! He doesn't seek notoriety, brag about carrying the team on his shoulders, or carry on like a lunatic screaming at his team-mates. He just takes care of business.

FlaGators
12/23/2008, 10:46 AM
We have a great role model, his name is Sam Bradford! He doesn't seek notoriety, brag about carrying the team on his shoulders, or carry on like a lunatic screaming at his team-mates. He just takes care of business.

And we are glad that style works for Sam. Everyone has a different style. It's all good. :cool:

bri
12/23/2008, 10:56 AM
I believe he earned his degree this term or will next term. Either way, he graduates before next season. I'm really kind of amazed at all the Tebow hating going on over here. You finally get a great role model who plays hard and with determination, does mission work, does speaking engagements at prisons, spends spring break in the Philippines, etc, and he somehow is made in to this terrible selfish person. Guess Plaxico Burress should be who we aspire to be. Amazing.

Ah yes, works-based faith. You can do all the wonderful acts in the world, but it doesn't change the fact that he's an arrogant litlte prick that has spent the last half of banquet season sulking 'cause he didn't get all the trophies and (allegedly) is thinking about going pro early just because THOSE BIG MEAN DOODIEHEADS SAID I COULDN'T DO IT! If it walks like a d*uchebag, talks like a d*uchebag and looks like a d*uchebag....well, it's a d*uchebag.

P3 Gator

And you have not seen me say anything derogatory about him. I'm glad you have him, he does appear to be a very genuine young man. My point is it's OK to talk football, but not to make personal attacks on another very genuine young man. I think we'd all be happy to have either one as a representative of our school. When people resort to personal attacks, it usually means (to me), that they really don't have anything enlightening to add or that they are just stumped and can only resort to name calling.

BoomerSooner, esq.
I cant wait to watch Tebow's first game in the NFL if he plays quarterback just to see how many floaters he throws for picks before he gets pulled.

tator
12/23/2008, 11:02 AM
I don't have anything against him personally, and wouldn't say anything bad about him even if I did. I don't know the guy.

I do, however, agree with the sentiment that he is in the undesireable position of being an excellent college football player, but doesn't quite fit anywhere in the NFL (or it appears that way).

If he were to succeed, it wouldn't be the first time that a person was looked over and ended up being a great player.

tbl
12/23/2008, 11:13 AM
As a Christian, I'm not surprised that many people don't like him. He's obedient to serve the Lord, and he gets flak for it. It's not like the dude can get away somewhere without the media following him.

John 15:18-19

That said, I agree that he is not a pro style qb and will probably not succeed in the NFL unless he changes things up quite a bit.

I also personally do not like some of the stuff he does on the sideline. During the Alabama game when he stormed into the special teams huddle, it just looked retarded. You could tell by looking at those guys that it didn't "inspire" a single one of them. They just wanted him to go sit his butt down on the bench while they did their job. None of this has anything to do with his Christianity, but is just how he plays the game. He's very passionate but its misplaced a lot of the time.

Paperclip
12/23/2008, 11:21 AM
If a college athlete bases any decision on what Kiper says, they are a fool

Just ask John Walsh.

Soonerfan85
12/23/2008, 11:23 AM
Ah yes, works-based faith. You can do all the wonderful acts in the world, but it doesn't change the fact that he's an arrogant litlte prick that has spent the last half of banquet season sulking 'cause he didn't get all the trophies and (allegedly) is thinking about going pro early just because THOSE BIG MEAN DOODIEHEADS SAID I COULDN'T DO IT! If it walks like a d*uchebag, talks like a d*uchebag and looks like a d*uchebag....well, it's a d*uchebag.

Well that was certainly an enlightening view! :O

Soonerfan85
12/23/2008, 11:29 AM
As a Christian, I'm not surprised that many people don't like him. He's obedient to serve the Lord, and he gets flak for it. It's not like the dude can get away somewhere without the media following him.

John 15:18-19

That said, I agree that he is not a pro style qb and will probably not succeed in the NFL unless he changes things up quite a bit.

I also personally do not like some of the stuff he does on the sideline. During the Alabama game when he stormed into the special teams huddle, it just looked retarded. You could tell by looking at those guys that it didn't "inspire" a single one of them. They just wanted him to go sit his butt down on the bench while they did their job. None of this has anything to do with his Christianity, but is just how he plays the game. He's very passionate but its misplaced a lot of the time.

Yeah, sometimes kids let their emotions get the best of them in an effort to get their mates cranked up. At least Tebow didn't pass out. :)

cheezyq
12/23/2008, 12:02 PM
I was not impressed with his throws at all. In key situations he kept throwing the ball extremely low to the ground. His receivers had to bail him out on a number of occasions, including on a couple of touchdown passes.

Those THREE TD passes in the SECCG were very good passes; yes, low, but thrown where they needed to be.

He threw a couple of bad passes that game. He missed a streaking receiver over the middle, throwing behind him and dumped another in to the ground while he was being chased down (actually a RB who wasn't really open). The pass to Hernandez (tight end) was high and he made a great catch.

However, you can't look at his QB rating and say that it's all his receivers saving him. It's just not possible to make that high a percentage of catches if all balls are thrown poorly. They're not pretty a lot of times, but they are effective and that's what counts.

His throwing motion is atrocious. Can it be fixed? That's up to the NFL guys to figure out. To me, left handed deliveries always look odd.

The biggest thing is this: Can he pass the ball accurately on a consistent basis, and can he correctly diagnose a defense and make the right read? Pretty much everything else is secondary in a QB. So far I can't say yes to the 1st part of that question, and I think the 2nd part of that question is undetermined (partially because I haven't seen that many of his games).

The reality is that he's still young and has plenty of time to figure those things out and correct what needs correcting. It's just up to an NFL team as to whether they want to be patient enough to allow him to develop.

P3 Gator
12/23/2008, 12:34 PM
Ranked number 5 nationally for passing efficiency at 174.76. Bradford #1 at 186.28.

Pigface1
12/23/2008, 01:17 PM
"Matty wasn’t so insanely serious, as he opted for playing the bongos on some chick’s *** rather spending his spring break conducting circumcisions."

Leinart 1
Tebow 0

badger
12/23/2008, 01:52 PM
Ah, Tim Tebow... you are a started in college so you assume, like your predecessor prima donna QB Rex Grossman, that you will automatically be a starter in the NFL.

Reality check time, Timmy: Most college starters are backups in the NFL or never stay in the NFL. This especially goes for championship quarterbacks, or even Heisman quarterbacks.

Being a champion or Heisman quarterback is not a prequel to being an NFL starter, or even an NFL player. There are exactly 32 starting positions, most of which are occupied by reliable veterans. Not everyone gets in a perfect situation like Matt Ryan. Matt Ryan on any other team is not going to the playoffs, or might still be riding the bench! Same goes for Big Ben in Pittsburgh, or Tony Romo in Dallas. Think they'd be rookie starters elsewhere if a veteran already had the position secured? Hell, no! Look at Matt Hasselbeck in Seattle or Marc Bulger in St. Louis! BOTH had to earn their starter position either through a trade or beat out a veteran after a few years!

Now, as for your championship and Heisman... Matt Leinart has both. He is holding a clipboard in Arizona behind reliable veteran Kurt Warner. Troy Smith nearly had both (lost championship) and is a backup in Baltimore. Vince Young nearly had both (lost the Heisman) and is a backup in Tennessee.

You are entitled to NOTHING, except whatever amount of signing bonus a team foolishly throws at your unproven-at-the-pro-level self. NOTHING is guaranteed, even to a circumcising missionary like yourself. Just ask Rex Grossman how far an entitled persona gets you.

Shut up before your teammates turn on you before the title game.

...wait a sec, what am I saying?

:D Keep talking, Tim. Perhaps more whining will give you the respect you so readily deserve. Make sure to add that you've carried this team by yourself the entire year and that you are the best player on the face of the Earth and that anyone who is privileged enough to be your teammate must bow before your talent and skill level, which by the way, are astronomically high... Jesus-high, even! So high that it reaches heaven, winky winky!

Scott D
12/23/2008, 02:06 PM

Honest assessment? He or someone else on that team will have to beat Urban Meyer to near unconsciousness to run plays from an I Formation, along with standard pro sets that require Tebow to take the snap from under center. Playing from a shotgun formation every down won't wash in the NFL, and in college it just tries to mask the deficiencies that the pro scouts already noticed (see Daniels, Chase).

Meyer's excuse with Alex Smith were his "small hands". You can't tell me he's going to use the same mistake with "the greatest football player I've ever coached" Tim Tebow?

Another question that will come up, is despite Tebow needing that 4th season to work on his passing (not throwing). How will the departure of his QB coach affect that development?

soonerhubs
12/23/2008, 02:09 PM
I'm not saying he's not a good Christian. However, I personally saw that display he put on during the Alabama game as theatrics for the Heisman watchers. It looked staged and fake.

Scott D
12/23/2008, 02:14 PM
hubler, I heard he said mormons eat their babies.

P3 Gator
12/23/2008, 02:36 PM
I'm not saying he's not a good Christian. However, I personally saw that display he put on during the Alabama game as theatrics for the Heisman watchers. It looked staged and fake.

I was sitting on the 25 yard line row 6. Not staged; not faked. I recorded the game and watched it when I got home. You didn't see a lot of his stuff firing the Gator crowd up (and it did fire that end of the field up). I was surprised he didn't draw a flag because he was about 5 yards on to the field between the 25 and the end zone.

ClintonSooner
12/23/2008, 02:51 PM
I was sitting on the 25 yard line row 6. Not staged; not faked. I recorded the game and watched it when I got home. You didn't see a lot of his stuff firing the Gator crowd up (and it did fire that end of the field up). I was surprised he didn't draw a flag because he was about 5 yards on to the field between the 25 and the end zone.

so did you masturbate to your video? I think you did;)

O-town Gator
12/23/2008, 03:16 PM
Meyer's excuse with Alex Smith were his "small hands". You can't tell me he's going to use the same mistake with "the greatest football player I've ever coached" Tim Tebow?

Another question that will come up, is despite Tebow needing that 4th season to work on his passing (not throwing). How will the departure of his QB coach affect that development?

No to #1; Alex Smith and Tim tebow are two totally different QB's.

As far as #2, I don't see that much of an impact. One thing Tebow will need to being o the NFL, whenever he goes, is adaptability.

you are a started in college so you assume, like your predecessor prima donna QB Rex Grossman, that you will automatically be a starter in the NFL.

Rex Grossman could have been a success in the NFL, but he was, and is, his own worst enemy. He had a party-boy reputation in college, and he obviously didn't outgrow his cavalier attitude toward life in the NFL.

badger
12/23/2008, 03:37 PM
Rex Grossman could have been a success in the NFL, but he was, and is, his own worst enemy. He had a party-boy reputation in college, and he obviously didn't outgrow his cavalier attitude toward life in the NFL.

and i suppose you think this Mel Kiper arguing is a good sign for what's to come? It kind of reminds me of the rivalry Rex has going with angsty columnist Jay Mariotti in Chicago, except that there's has been going on longer.

For the sake of Sooner Nation, I love to see this distraction that he's providing for Florida to think of something other than stopping our awesome offense. However, it must miff you guys off that he's talking NFL and not Florida right about now :P

Scott D
12/23/2008, 03:46 PM
No to #1; Alex Smith and Tim tebow are two totally different QB's.

They are, but that wasn't the context of the question. The question is what is the excuse that Meyer is going to use for running Tebow out of exclusively a shotgun offense, when the excuse for Alex Smith was small hands for that same issue when it came to his draft status? Until he starts spending some time under center he's going to keep getting knocked for it, and compared to Smith. No matter how much you Florida fans don't like it.

O-town Gator
12/23/2008, 03:49 PM
and i suppose you think this Mel Kiper arguing is a good sign for what's to come? It kind of reminds me of the rivalry Rex has going with angsty columnist Jay Mariotti in Chicago, except that there's has been going on longer.

For the sake of Sooner Nation, I love to see this distraction that he's providing for Florida to think of something other than stopping our awesome offense. However, it must miff you guys off that he's talking NFL and not Florida right about now :P

Honestly, I don't see Rex's contract being renewed by the Bears after this season; he'll be lucky to wind up as a backup on somebody's roster in 2009.

A lot of this stuff about Tebow and the NFL is being egged on by the media as a distraction. From now until the game's over on January 8th, he's focused on getting ready for the game as are the rest of his teammates.

P3 Gator
12/23/2008, 04:14 PM

His back-up, John Brantley was one of the top three QBs coming out of high school (can't remember exactly where he ranked...switched commit from Texas to UF) whose father and uncle played at UF and was coached by Kerwin Bell (80s era UF QB) in high school. Throws a beautiful ball. I'd like to have Tebow back, but would also like to see Brantley on the field.

badger
12/23/2008, 04:39 PM
His back-up, John Brantley was one of the top three QBs coming out of high school (can't remember exactly where he ranked...switched commit from Texas to UF) whose father and uncle played at UF and was coached by Kerwin Bell (80s era UF QB) in high school. Throws a beautiful ball. I'd like to have Tebow back, but would also like to see Brantley on the field.

Sucks to be the backup QB, knowing that you're always just one play away from being the starter. I would sympathize, but I was born without elite football talent (and without a penis) so I will never have the chance to grace the sidelines of a I-A (scuze me, bowl subdivision) championship caliber team that he does.

PhiDeltBeers
12/23/2008, 04:52 PM
I have to hand it to you Badger. I can't say I know any female with your love for the game. Nice! I'm happy my wife knows who Sammy B is!

sooner94
12/23/2008, 04:52 PM

While he doesn't have the classic delivery, you are right, being a south paw does make it look a little more awkward.

P3 Gator
12/23/2008, 04:57 PM
While he doesn't have the classic delivery, you are right, being a south paw does make it look a little more awkward.

Yeah, I always thought Stabler and Young looked funny throwing it to.

L-Boy
12/23/2008, 06:35 PM
McShay thinks that chances are not too good for Tebow making it as an NFL quarterback - he might have to try another position. He is concerned about Tebow's long delivery, and is also concerned about the offense he is operating within in college.

I happen to agree with McShay on these points. His delivery is very difficult to watch. He doesn't only have a long wind up, but it's awkward looking. It doesn't seem very naturally flowing or structured properly at all. It's almost as if it's undeveloped, especially for a 3rd year college player. I know that most people praised his Conf. Champ. game performance, but I wasn't one of them. I was not impressed with his throws at all. In key situations he kept throwing the ball extremely low to the ground. His receivers had to bail him out on a number of occasions, including on a couple of touchdown passes. I also don't like how he (seems) to like throwing across the field - again, much too risky for the NFL, where defenses will sniff that out and kill you.

If teams don't see him as a solid NFL starter at quarterback (at some point down the road) then my guess is that chances are slim that he will be a first rounder in the draft, and might even fall out of the second round, depending on how teams view his chances of adjusting to another position in the NFL. I don't see him making the adjustment like a Randle El, as I don't see Tebow contributing in as many ways (i.e. I don't see Tebow as a punt returner). Also, although McShay can picture Tebow as a Chris Cooley (Tight End) type, I personally don't quite see that. Tebow has not proven as yet to be a naturally gifted pass catcher as Cooley. It takes more than having a big body to be a Tight End.

In my view, Tim Tebow has done absolutely nothing to demonstrate that he can effectively run a pro-style (nfl) offense as a quarterback - running up and down the field, like an emotional (flake) mad man, and head bumping your special teams players (without your helmet on) is not my idea of running a pro-style offense (it's not even being a responsible player).

Have you been watching the same games I have been watching??

The points about the somewhat slow release and not taking snaps under center have some validity, but awkward looking delivery? What about the likes of Bernie Kosar? Yes, his mechanics need work, but that is not a big issue.

He is athletic, he is obviously mobile, he is sturdy, he is an extremely accurate passer (he may be the most accurate UF passer I have ever seen, its almost always on the money), he RARELY throws pics, receivers rarely drop his balls, and he throws with plenty of velocity, in spite of some wobbliness.

If a guy like Daunte Culpepper can make it in the NFL, not sure why Tebow can't, but he will need quite a bit of work.

soonerborn45
12/24/2008, 03:31 AM

Whoopdy doo!!! Missionary work and speaking at prisons don't mean that the guy is going to be a role model. I would not want my kids looking up to this dousche. The guy is full of himself and just loves to get the attention. The whole thing about him playing hard and with determination, oh wait a minute just about every single player plays like that.

sooner13f
12/24/2008, 06:16 AM
And you have not seen me say anything derogatory about him. I'm glad you have him, he does appear to be a very genuine young man. My point is it's OK to talk football, but not to make personal attacks on another very genuine young man. I think we'd all be happy to have either one as a representative of our school. When people resort to personal attacks, it usually means (to me), that they really don't have anything enlightening to add or that they are just stumped and can only resort to name calling.

Great point. I agree 100%. These guys are all about performing. Being told you will not be good at something is not what they want to hear. Tebow is ok in my books. Seems like a good kid. Not someone that should be given a hard time just because of the way he leads...We can save that for texas players.

Desert Sapper
12/24/2008, 06:39 AM
Who cares? This guy only plays 1.5 quarters every game, according to the Gator posters in some other threads. His stats would be about 10X what Sam's are if he played the whole game. Maybe Kiper didn't know that.

P3 Gator
12/24/2008, 11:06 AM
Whoopdy doo!!! Missionary work and speaking at prisons don't mean that the guy is going to be a role model. I would not want my kids looking up to this dousche. The guy is full of himself and just loves to get the attention. The whole thing about him playing hard and with determination, oh wait a minute just about every single player plays like that.

I seriously doubt you'd be calling him a ****** if he played for OU. There's the difference; I have no problem saying Bradord is a fine young man (from what I've heard). You can't seem to see through your burnt red glasses.

Scott D
12/24/2008, 02:00 PM
Have you been watching the same games I have been watching??

The points about the somewhat slow release and not taking snaps under center have some validity, but awkward looking delivery? What about the likes of Bernie Kosar? Yes, his mechanics need work, but that is not a big issue.

He is athletic, he is obviously mobile, he is sturdy, he is an extremely accurate passer (he may be the most accurate UF passer I have ever seen, its almost always on the money), he RARELY throws pics, receivers rarely drop his balls, and he throws with plenty of velocity, in spite of some wobbliness.

If a guy like Daunte Culpepper can make it in the NFL, not sure why Tebow can't, but he will need quite a bit of work.

Daunte Culpepper took snaps from under center in college, something Timothy has yet to do. So I guess realistically, Urban Meyer himself is probably harming Tebow's draft stock and perhaps Timothy should direct his anger in that direction.

fossil
12/24/2008, 02:17 PM
Sucks to be the backup QB, knowing that you're always just one play away from being the starter. I would sympathize, but I was born without elite football talent (and without a penis) so I will never have the chance to grace the sidelines of a I-A (scuze me, bowl subdivision) championship caliber team that he does.

:D Good grief, you mean your a BADGERETTE????? All this time, I thought you was a dude!

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/24/2008, 02:43 PM
Badger is a eunuch

badger
12/24/2008, 02:52 PM
You both suck. That does it - from now on I'm singing "Home of the Brave" instead of "Home of the Sooners." That oughta show you! Yeah, you're soooo shown. I am such a shower.

Shower?
http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/gpi0018l.jpg

...actually, I don't sing "Home of the Sooners." It drives NP crazy.

adoniijahsooner
12/24/2008, 03:09 PM

I know a guy who was a missionary this past year, and was sent home for smoking weed and visiting a strip club. I guess he was trying that new brand of christianity, where you are "real" and relate to real world issues. The fact that Tebow's brain cannot fathom that the reason he was left off of ballots in the southwest were due to Graham Harrell, Michael Crabtree, and Jeremy Maclin, is absolutely ridiculous. Tebow is 1 competitive game by Tech from not being invited at all.

KC//CRIMSON
12/24/2008, 05:53 PM
Teabow won't be any better than Vince Young in the NFL.

tennsooner
12/24/2008, 08:17 PM
Teabow won't be any better than Vince Young in the NFL.

Actually he wouldn't be as good because he isn't blessed with Vinny's "Big 12 Speed";) ;)

soonerborn45
12/25/2008, 01:22 AM
I seriously doubt you'd be calling him a ****** IF he played for OU. There's the difference; I have no problem saying Bradord is a fine young man (from what I've heard). You can't seem to see through your burnt red glasses.

Ok, I just wanna throw it out there and say that it is not burnt red alright. It's crimson. Anyways, if Tebow played for OU, no one would know about him cause he would be a backup. Why you ask, because OU runs a real offense that can prepare college football players for a future in the NFL. Also, IF my aunt had nuts, she'd be my uncle.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/25/2008, 01:39 AM
Actually if your Aunt had nuts, she would be Badger ;)

adoniijahsooner
12/25/2008, 06:11 AM
They are, but that wasn't the context of the question. The question is what is the excuse that Meyer is going to use for running Tebow out of exclusively a shotgun offense, when the excuse for Alex Smith was small hands for that same issue when it came to his draft status? Until he starts spending some time under center he's going to keep getting knocked for it, and compared to Smith. No matter how much you Florida fans don't like it.

Urban Meyer does not care what Timmy's draft status is, nor what will make him a great NFL quarterback; because if he did he would not allow him to slam into linebackers and defensive lineman on every other play. If Tebow breaks his leg or tears an acl in the NCG and Florida gets the victory, Meyer will be wearing a big grin during the press conference, and not talking about the unfortunate incident when Tebow was hit high and low by Beal and Alexander, and may have ended his career.

P.S.
Merry Christmas

P3 Gator
12/25/2008, 10:26 AM
He'll be grinning because he just saw Tebow take Beal and Alexander to the woodshed. Just ask Gena Hayes from FSU...

delhalew
12/25/2008, 10:44 AM
He'll be grinning because he just saw Tebow take Beal and Alexander to the woodshed. Just ask Gena Hayes from FSU...

HAAAA, one or the other he's got a chance of survival, but both of get him and he's toast.

Desert Sapper
12/25/2008, 11:25 AM
If Timmy only knew the POWER of the DARK SIDE...

Oh wait, that agent whispering in his ear is telling him all about it.