PDA

View Full Version : Sooners promise new attitude for title game

Okie35
12/22/2008, 03:42 PM
After four stinging BCS bowl losses in the last five seasons, Oklahoma players are promising to take a different attitude to the upcoming FedEx Bowl Championship Series title game Jan. 8 against Florida.

"Obviously, the last couple of bowl games haven't worked out like we wanted," Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford said Monday at a press conference in Norman, Okla. "We want to treat this game like it was a game week here."

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said Monday he plans to take his team to the bowl site a day later and employ earlier curfews to have the Sooners more prepared for their national championship game against the Gators.

Stoops has frequently talked about his disappointment in bowl losses to LSU in the 2004 Rose Bowl, USC in the 2005 BCS title game, Boise State in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl and West Virginia in last season's Fiesta Bowl.

"I'm over it now," Stoops said. "But I don't think I need to bring it up."

In Oklahoma's last three BCS games, the Sooners have been blistered for 55 points by USC, 43 points by Boise State and 48 points by West Virginia. During that 54-game span that started with the USC loss in 2004, those games are among Oklahoma's opponents' five highest-scoring games. The other two came when Texas hung 45 points on the Sooners in losses in 2005 and earlier this season.

But as much as any change, Stoops said the Sooners need to play better to claim the second national championship of his career.

"You could change, but nothing guarantees success," Stoops said. "You've got to play well. Is there any specific magic formula? I don't think so. We'll adjust. And hopefully, we'll get out there and just take care of the ball better."

Bradford was still wearing a small cast on his non-throwing hand that he expects to be removed by the day of the game. The 2008 Heisman Trophy winner had surgery performed on a strained ligament on his left thumb the day after the Sooners' 62-21 victory over Missouri on Dec. 6.

"It feels great, I just am ready to get the cast off," Bradford said. "I don't know the schedule, but I'll just go day to day. I'm expecting to be fine with it."

Sooner trainers are expected to insert a small splint on Bradford's thumb before the game. It will be similar to the apparatus he wore during the Big 12 championship game.

The Sooners will not have starting tailback DeMarco Murray (hamstring injury) or backup nose tackle DeMarcus Granger (back injury) for the Florida game.

Mossis Madu will receive additional work in place of Murray after producing career-best totals of 114 rushing yards and three touchdowns in the Big 12 championship game. He will be paired with leading rusher Chris Brown to make up for the loss of Murray, who also doubles as Oklahoma's top kick returner.

"Mossis had consistently played well for us through the year and we have a lot of confidence in him," Stoops said. "He's going to need to step up and Chris, too. It's not fair to DeMarco to say it's not significant. He's a great player and you wish you had him."

Granger has missed two games earlier this season. His absence will be particularly noteworthy as the Sooners try to control Florida's tough inside running game keyed by quarterback Tim Tebow. The Gators rank 11th nationally, averaging 229.8 rushing yards per game.

"DeMarcus is a strong physical presence inside and you miss that," Stoops said. "There's nothing you can do about it. He's probably our most physical guy up inside, but those other guys have to step up and play well."

Stoops said that middle linebacker Austin Box could return to the lineup after missing the Big 12 championship game with a strained knee. The Sooners used five defensive backs and seldom-used substitute Mike Balogun saw extensive work the Big 12 championship game, but the Sooners need Box to help control Florida's running game.

"We are unsually thin now. But those guys will have to step in," Stoops said about his linebackers. "They've played well and have been productive, but have got to keep doing it. We are used to dealing with it, but hopefully [Box] is back and these other guys keep coming on like they have."

Stoops said he does not expect any other personnel losses when semester grades are released later this week.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls08/news/story?id=3787838

it was the sugar bowl but yea

OUinFLA
12/22/2008, 03:50 PM
Stoops said he does not expect any other personnel losses when semester grades are released later this week.

Stoopspeak translation: We will probably be pulling 9 redshirts for the title game due to grades.

:(

Okie35
12/22/2008, 04:03 PM
Stoopspeak translation: We will probably be pulling 9 redshirts for the title game due to grades.

dont say that

SoonerTank
12/22/2008, 04:15 PM

:D You're probably right! A bruise to Bob is a tear, a sprain is a dislocation, a two game injury means the player will have reconstructive surgery. If Bob ever says "We probably lost him for a year," I expect it to mean, that the kid will never walk again. :D

adoniijahsooner
12/22/2008, 04:18 PM
I dont know why BV just don't play Carter and Harris the whole game, in order to combat the speed of Florida.

OK2LA
12/22/2008, 04:19 PM
I love how ESPN puts that title up there. Geez.

I didn't see anyone promising anything in that article.

On the contrary - from Stoops: "You could change, but nothing guarantees success,"

adoniijahsooner
12/22/2008, 04:19 PM
:D You're probably right! A bruise to Bob is a tear, a sprain is a dislocation, a two game injury means the player will have reconstructive surgery. If Bob ever says "We probably lost him for a year," I expect it to mean, that the kid will never walk again. :D

Or is being filled with embalming fluid @ the morgue.

OUinFLA
12/22/2008, 05:21 PM
We're holding the funeral the day after the game, in case we need a body to play that position.

oupride
12/22/2008, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the post

FlaGators
12/23/2008, 10:43 AM

:eek:

Well....that's not good.

Pigface1
12/23/2008, 01:25 PM
I dont know why BV just don't play Carter and Harris the whole game, in order to combat the speed of Florida.

I'm sure Harris will be in the whole game. I agree on Carter, too, that guy lays people out when he's on the field. Reminds me of Brandon Everage early in his career.

BigMoneySooner
12/23/2008, 01:30 PM
The teams for LSU, USC, Boise State, and West Virginia were just better than people realized those years. This Florida team isn't as good as those teams and skated by in a down year for the SEC. No way Stoops loses to a team that lost to Ole Miss AT HOME.

achiro
12/23/2008, 01:39 PM
I bet we're lifting weights and stuff too.:D

P3 Gator
12/23/2008, 01:50 PM
The teams for LSU, USC, Boise State, and West Virginia were just better than people realized those years. This Florida team isn't as good as those teams and skated by in a down year for the SEC. No way Stoops loses to a team that lost to Ole Miss AT HOME.

West Virginia?!? They lost to friggin' Pitt last year. If that's better than what was expected, their expectations must have been REALLY low.

PhiDeltBeers
12/23/2008, 03:31 PM
West Virginia?!? They lost to friggin' Pitt last year. If that's better than what was expected, their expectations must have been REALLY low.

I believe P Dub got injured that game....just saying.

Okie35
12/23/2008, 03:38 PM

yup like someone said white was hurt that game... and west virginia was never bad they beat georgia a few years before in the sugar bowl last i remembered and i thought michigan(who lost to app state) had NO chance against you gators last year but i was wrong... :cool: