PDA

View Full Version : Somehow, this game is making me hate UGA more than UF

tbl
12/22/2008, 10:30 AM
I understand the Gator fans talking trash and getting pumped up about the game; they should. They should have devotion to their team and have a significant portion of the fanbase that are completely delusional. This is all normal.

However... I find it absolutely ridiculous that many UGA fans have the same fervor for their rival, simply because, yet again, the frigging SEC. Of course this is not just limited to UGA, as I know many of you in other parts of SEC country are hearing the same fervor from a fanbase that has nothing to do with Florida. I just cannot get over how crazy this SEC nonsense is.

SEC! SEC! SEC!

ETGator1
12/22/2008, 10:39 AM
UGA fans root for UF? Why not in a bowl game? As far as I'm concerned, UGA could go 0-12 and I'd be happy, happy, happy! Once they are in a bowl representing the SEC, that rivalry hatred ends and most SECers root for our teams to have success.

I take it that OU fans won't be rooting for other Big 12 teams in the bowls?

OUMonster
12/22/2008, 10:46 AM
It's one thing to root for your conference to gain respect down the road, but you won't see many OU fans getting hyped up to see Texas beat the hell out of tOSU.

auto
12/22/2008, 10:47 AM
UGA fans root for UF? Why not in a bowl game? As far as I'm concerned, UGA could go 0-12 and I'd be happy, happy, happy! Once they are in a bowl representing the SEC, that rivalry hatred ends and most SECers root for our teams to have success.

Normally I cheer for all Big 12 in the Post Season. However, after all the whining and crying from the whorns i will be cheering for the luckeyes:D

frankensooner
12/22/2008, 11:09 AM
The sukeyes v. the whorns, dang, that is just about as bad as USuCk v. whorns or Noder Dumb v. whorns. YUCK.

SoonerBacker
12/22/2008, 11:09 AM
I hope the Big XII does well in bowls. But you won't find me rooting for saxet in ANY game.....especially in their bowl game.

tbl
12/22/2008, 11:32 AM

So you'd like them to go 0-12, then do good in a bowl game...

and for the most part, I'm not that concerned over other teams in bowl games. I do however root for whomever Texas is playing. The USC game was the only one where I waffled back and forth. I'm still not sure who I wanted to lose that game...

SoonersEnFuego
12/22/2008, 11:35 AM
You can't go to a bowl game if you're 0-12. Just ask Tyrone Willingham.

soonermix
12/22/2008, 11:37 AM
I do however root for whomever Texas is playing. The USC game was the only one where I waffled back and forth. I'm still not sure who I wanted to lose that game...

i was rooting for a meteor shower or some other natural disaster

SoonerTroll
12/22/2008, 11:43 AM
No one can ever root for Texass in a bowl game. They are the only true recruiting competitor in the big 12. Everytime they lose OU wins :)

oupride
12/22/2008, 11:49 AM
I want Okie State to lose every game.

CrimsonJim
12/22/2008, 11:58 AM
i was rooting for a meteor shower or some other natural disaster

Where's an earthquake when you really need one? :rolleyes:

oumartin
12/22/2008, 12:21 PM
I will root for all big 12 teams cept texas and the cowboys..

meoveryouxinfinity
12/22/2008, 12:24 PM
Texas- Ohio State is a win- win. I will root for every other big XII team as well as Tulsa and other favorites. But i'm not posing on here talking about GOOO MIZZOU BEAT NORTHWESTERN!!
I will, however, be rooting AGAINST the SEC.

OUAlumni1990
12/22/2008, 12:33 PM
What concerns me alittle is Florida's rival is rooting for Florida. Meanwhile, our rival is rooting for Florida also.

I rooted for Texas in the Rosebowl vs Meatchicken. That was a mistake. All these horn fans came crawling out from under their rocks after the game and you couldn't swing a dead cat with hitting someone with a horn shirt on here in Houston. Absolutely disgusting their bandwagon fans are...

swardboy
12/22/2008, 12:37 PM
The greatness of an idea can be measured by the amount of opposition it garners....

Boomer Mooner
12/22/2008, 01:18 PM
I used to root for the whorns anytime they weren't playing OU until I moved to Houston. Now I wouldn't **** down a whorn's throat if his guts were on fire.

:texan:

tbl
12/22/2008, 01:22 PM
After living out here for 3 years, I'm glad all this crap happened this year with the whorns. I had lost sight a little bit... However, this SEC stuff is getting really old, very quick. I could put up with it when they were just verbal pooping all over the place in general terms, but now its personal and I'm seeing it for how stupid it really is. We have GOT to win this game...

HungaryGator
12/22/2008, 01:26 PM
No one can ever root for Texass in a bowl game. They are the only true recruiting competitor in the big 12. Everytime they lose OU wins :)

DING DING DING! You've just hit on a major point. UGA and UF only rarely recruit against one another. Each is the biggest school in two talent rich states and each can easily prosper even if the other is doing well. We hate each other for historic reasons, but its generally not a zero sum game between the two. Now you understand better why although we consider the poodles a bigger rival we can at least hold some respect for them while most of us would root for the Waffen SS with free agent Tailback Pol Pot and star WR Osama Bin Laden over fsu or miami. It is a zero sum game with UF and those two.

OUDoc
12/22/2008, 01:46 PM
DING DING DING! You've just hit on a major point. UGA and UF only rarely recruit against one another. Each is the biggest school in two talent rich states and each can easily prosper even if the other is doing well. We hate each other for historic reasons, but its generally not a zero sum game between the two. Now you understand better why although we consider the poodles a bigger rival we can at least hold some respect for them while most of us would root for the Waffen SS with free agent Tailback Pol Pot and star WR Osama Bin Laden over fsu or miami. It is a zero sum game with UF and those two.

You forgot to end that with "SEC!"

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/22/2008, 02:53 PM
I will root for all big 12 teams cept texas and the cowboys..

BINGO! The way it should be!

BIG XII!! BIG XII!! BIG XII!!

KingBarry
12/22/2008, 03:56 PM
I, in general, am happy to see Big XII teams win bowl games. I occasionally root against Big XII teams for a variety of reasons, but even those teams win, I can soothe myself with the knowledge that the Big XII's prestige has risen.

I think the point of the original poster was, if I am not out-of-line to paraphrase, that he couldn't really understand why fans of one SEC school would passionately and aggressively become supporters of other SEC schools in better bowl games.

It's like if, let's say, Missouri wins the Big XII next year, and gets into the BCS Championship game. Sure, I would like to see Missouri pull it off, make the Big XII look like an even more happenin' conference.

BUT I would not be going onto the boards of Missouri's opponent, calling them out, talking trash, and saying things like "Missouri is gonna beat ya down, sucka," because 1 -- that's retarded, and 2 -- I'm not really THAT interested in ultimately whether Missouri wins or loses. I care about Oklahoma, not Missouri.

So why would UGS fans talk crap IN FAVOR of their hated rival, UF?

bri
12/22/2008, 04:02 PM
You think all these "SEC fans" are popping big obnoxious boners for Vandy's bowl opponent?

Georgia's being lippy 'cause they know they p*ssed away their best chance for a title and will now slide back into their historic mediocrity, as evidenced by giving up eleventymillion yards and points to the Wing-T or what the f*ck ever Georgia Tech is running now.

SoonersEnFuego
12/22/2008, 04:46 PM
You think all these "SEC fans" are popping big obnoxious boners for Vandy's bowl opponent?

Georgia's being lippy 'cause they know they p*ssed away their best chance for a title and will now slide back into their historic mediocrity, as evidenced by giving up eleventymillion yards and points to the Wing-T or what the f*ck ever Georgia Tech is running now.
Side note: My 3rd grade team I coach ran a version of this offense with a few tweaks by me.
We beat some people we shouldn't have, and we lost to some people we shouldn't have...a lot like GT!

gatorsownu2
12/22/2008, 08:52 PM
Its the sec.Sorry if you dont understand. If I have to explain, you will not understand. Not a knock on OU or the Big 12.

DenverSooner751
12/22/2008, 09:03 PM
Its the sec.Sorry if you dont understand. If I have to explain, you will not understand. Not a knock on OU or the Big 12.

Are you pulling for UGA to beat Sparty?

gatorsownu2
12/22/2008, 09:17 PM
Are you pulling for UGA to beat Sparty?

YES

bri
12/22/2008, 09:17 PM

So what you're saying is, from the outside we can't understand it and from the inside you can't explain it?

No wonder I can't stand the SEC. It's an entire f*cking conference of cult aggie.

DenverSooner751
12/22/2008, 09:25 PM
YES

You'll enjoy this then.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-michiganstate-fight&prov=ap&type=lgns

Bri,

I agree with you.

I'm still laughing at the cult Aggie comment. =)

Readyfor8
12/22/2008, 09:28 PM

You can if you play in the SEC, don't you know that every team should get a bid for playing in that conference?

DenverSooner751
12/22/2008, 09:35 PM
You can if you play in the SEC, don't you know that every team should get a bid for playing in that conference?

They were all invited to the Olympic trials so why not.

delhalew
12/22/2008, 10:09 PM

Wow...that is ****tarded.

oumartin
12/22/2008, 10:46 PM
Other than Bama who in the SEC really has any tradition?

Bama, eleventybillion National championships

who's next? LSU has what. 3 or 4
then who? Florida has 2 or 3? they are johnny come latelys
then maybe Tennessee
from then out who? georgia last won one back in 82? 81?
has Auburn ever won one?
south carolina?

Big 12

Oklahoma, King of the mountain. 7 and counting
Nebraska has 5
texas has 4
then huge dropoff sure
colorado?

as a whole sure the SEC might have slight advantage but for the real creamp of the crop its not even close. Big 12, Big 12, Big 12

bri
12/23/2008, 12:11 AM
Um, Clemson is in the ACC.

oumartin
12/23/2008, 12:13 AM
who said anything about Clemson! ;)

SoonerStormchaser
12/23/2008, 12:14 AM
It's one thing to root for your conference to gain respect down the road, but you won't see many OU fans getting hyped up to see Texas beat the hell out of tOSU.

Except me...cause tOSU is the one team I hate more than Texass...and I royally hate the Whorns!

goingoneight
12/23/2008, 12:22 AM

Oh, but you can if you play in the SEC... ;)

Seriously though... I could give a **** less what happens usually in bowl games that don't involve OU.

I'm a big fan of whoever beats "the greatest EVAR," whomever that flavor of the week is. Seriously, the last five years... EVERY YEAR we hear something about how USC has something that ranks among the "greatest of all-time." In Pete Carroll's interview following the Rose Bowl invitation, they seriously asked him if he felt like the critics were correct in calling this year's USC defense the greatest of all time. PC, like any good coach kinda shrugged it off with a little coach speak.

Anytime I hear how someone "doesn't have a chance" or "can't" do something, unless it's OUr opposition, I'm all for them stepping up and winning. It's sick, but in a humble kinda way... I felt good for Boise State and WVU in retrospect because it has to suck being told you don't have a chance against someone who really has yet to prove they even have a chance. Especially after watching how only a small fraction of OUr team actually gave a **** against WVU. That was post-holiday laziness at it's worst, and the loss of six key starters only made it worse.

Rhino
12/23/2008, 12:37 AM
Now you understand better why although we consider the poodles a bigger rival we can at least hold some respect for them while most of us would root for the Waffen SS with free agent Tailback Pol Pot and star WR Osama Bin Laden over fsu or miami. Farouk Jugdish?

That dude is a player.

VA Sooner
12/23/2008, 12:49 AM
I don't mind rooting for the Big 12, even our rivals. When we're not on the field against each other, I want them to do well. Gives up a lot more BCS points and cred. Look at how well the Big 12 South did this year... and without the success of OK State and Texas Tech... we'd be playing in the Fiesta Bowl.

That being said... I hope Texas has a very close call... no controversy.

Toronto Sooner
12/23/2008, 02:22 AM
Go Buckeyes, beat the ponyboys!
Go anyone but USC!
Go anyone but Notre Dame!

SoonerShark
12/23/2008, 03:17 AM
Why is everybody that is a Florida fan so pumped about the Securities and Exchange Commission? It does not regulate the cocaine importation industry, does it?

SoonerShark
12/23/2008, 03:23 AM
Look at how well the Big 12 South did this year... and without the success of OK State and Texas Tech... we'd be playing in the Fiesta Bowl.

Think about this: If OSU had Tech and UT at home this year, OSU might have been 11-1 along with us. It nearly beat UT in Austin and does much better against Tech in Stillwater than in Lubbock. UT would have been 10-2 at best. OSU would be in the Fiesta Bowl, not UT, if the Fiesta took OSU when it chose the team to replace the team it lost to the BCS Championship Game, the number one seeded Oklahoma Sooners. tOSU v. OSU, round 2.

OU_Sooners75
12/23/2008, 04:39 AM
THE ONLY TIME...and I mean the ONLY time I have every cheered for Texass was when they played USC in the 2006 Rose Bowl (2005 National Championship)!

Though I hate Texas with a passion, I hate USC that much more.