PDA

View Full Version : Is the Cotton Bowl a MNC barometer?

oupride
12/22/2008, 09:47 AM
How much do you think you can read into the Texas Tech vs Ole Miss matchup? We've heard this season is that the Big 12 offenses wouldn't do well against the SEC defenses, or the SEC defenses wouldn't do well against the Big 12 offenses. Since Ole Miss is the only team to beat Florida and we played Tech, do you think there will be any insight of things to happen in the MNC?

swardboy
12/22/2008, 09:49 AM
If Tech lights up ole Miss for 50+ points, FL will be changing their diapers....

olevetonahill
12/22/2008, 09:49 AM
Aint gonna mean shat .

batonrougesooner
12/22/2008, 09:55 AM
It means nothing.

Let's be honest, Florida lost to Ole Miss that day because they didn't bring their game and they had several bad breaks.

9 times out of 10 Florida beats Ole Miss at home easily.

Florida stubbed their toe that day, nothing more.

KingBarry
12/22/2008, 10:01 AM
If both teams really play up to their potential, then it will tell us a little something about the overall Big XII-SEC level of competitiveness in general, but it won't tell us much specifically about the OU-UF matchup.

JGATOR
12/22/2008, 10:02 AM
No, you won't be able to tell anything from any of the games. If Texas gets blown out by whoever was it that Texas was bad or because they have been whining non-stop since not getting into the Big 12 CG? Personally, I wish they would have made it to the Big 12 CG because I think they are much more beatable than the Sooners.

Also, the Ole Miss game was UF's fourth game of the year and at that time the Gators were not using Demps and Rainey as much as they are now. Teams change over time.

BudSooner
12/22/2008, 10:19 AM
Aint gonna mean shat .

But it will be fun to watch after Crabtree gets open for his 6th TD, Tebowner will be curled up in a fetal position afterwards.

badger
12/22/2008, 10:26 AM
45-35! 45-35! 45-35!

...WHAT, we're still in the championship game?

Ok, then no it isn't a barometer :D

CaliBornSoonerBred
12/22/2008, 10:28 AM
You mean Tech is actually showing up to the game after hearing about these SEC defenses? I thought they would take the approach we are, just not even showing up because the SEC is too great.

Desert Sapper
12/22/2008, 10:32 AM
We could do some extrapolation and say that if Tech lost to us by 44 and beat Ole Miss by XX points than XX plus 1 (for the separation in the Swamp that day) plus 44 equals what we will beat the Gators by.

No, it means abso****inglutely nothing. YWIA.

Howzit
12/22/2008, 10:48 AM
[typical SEC response]
If Ole Miss is blown out it obviously means nothing. If Tech is blown out, it means what we already know, that the SEC's vastly superior defenses blahblahblah...
[/typical SEC response]

Dan Thompson
12/22/2008, 12:05 PM
It will shed a little light on Big 12 offenses and defenses against SEC defense and offense.

o0Dan0o
12/22/2008, 12:11 PM
I think it will be some indication of the overall comparison between the two conferences, but of course it's no predictor of our game.
Dan

meoveryouxinfinity
12/22/2008, 12:15 PM
[sec response edited]
Ole Miss win: LOL THE #4 SEC TEAM BEAT THE #1 (TIED) BIG 12 TEAM!!!
Ole Miss loss: what do you expect? the #4 SEC team played the #1 tied big XII team close for 3 quarter and even had a lead for a while. Plus, the game was in Dallas... how's THAT fair?? [/sec response edited]

[sooner response]
Tech loss: Um, you lost to that #4 SEC team too.
Tech win: S-E-C! S-E-C! bahahahah [/sooner response]

OUAlumni1990
12/22/2008, 12:38 PM
I don't see either team blowing the other out. It looks like a good matchup to me.

My Opinion Matters
12/22/2008, 12:46 PM
It doesn't mean anything.

Go back a few years, to the last time OU was playing for the big one in South Florida. Cal was hot off their best season in decades, ranked 4th in the country, with the lone blemish on their resume being a close loss to undefeated USC. Pac-10 fans were the ones that were accused of being delusional and arrogant that year, and there were lots of claims being made by USC and Cal fans alike that Cal was really the second best team in the country. In a preview of things to come later, Mack whined and politicked his Texas team to the Rose Bowl over Cal. Cal was relegated to the Holiday Bowl against a quirky, gimmicky, and 21st ranked team from the Big 12-Texas Tech.

Texas Tech ran Cal off the field. The final score was 45-31, but it wasn't nearly as close as the score indicated. Many people came to the conclusion this was a referendum on the superiority of the Big 12 compared to the Pac-10. That if the 5th best team from the Big 12 could do that to the second best team from the Pac-10, the same team that almost beat USC, then surely we had a good idea on what we could expect in the MNC.

I'll stop there.

oupride
12/22/2008, 12:55 PM
It doesn't mean anything.

Go back a few years, to the last time OU was playing for the big one in South Florida. Cal was hot off their best season in decades, ranked 4th in the country, with the lone blemish on their resume being a close loss to undefeated USC. Pac-10 fans were the ones that were accused of being delusional and arrogant that year, and there were lots of claims being made by USC and Cal fans alike that Cal was really the second best team in the country. In a preview of things to come later, Mack whined and politicked his Texas team to the Rose Bowl over Cal. Cal was relegated to the Holiday Bowl against a quirky, gimmicky, and 21st ranked team from the Big 12-Texas Tech.

Texas Tech ran Cal off the field. The final score was 45-31, but it wasn't nearly as close as the score indicated. Many people came to the conclusion this was a referendum on the superiority of the Big 12 compared to the Pac-10. That if the 5th best team from the Big 12 could do that to the second best team from the Pac-10, the same team that almost beat USC, then surely we had a good idea on what we could expect in the MNC.

I'll stop there.
Thanks.

Desert Sapper
12/22/2008, 01:41 PM
I'll stop there.

Thanks for stopping. :O

P3 Gator
12/22/2008, 01:44 PM
I don't think it means anything. But, I really think it makes an interesting match-up. Looking forward to that bowl game.

MojoRisen
12/22/2008, 02:02 PM
I think it will be a good game, Ole Miss pretty much proved LSU sucks and beat em almost as bad as the gators. I think It will say something as to a comparison..

If Ole miss holds Tech to less than 21 - I would think about that for a bit...