PDA

View Full Version : A serious Mortality question

olevetonahill
12/22/2008, 03:47 AM
Have you Considered your Death ? Have you Come to terms with it ?
Im 58 And I know Ive just got a few left But Im good with it . Cause Ive Lived one Hell of a Life .
Ive Done things that Most would Nevar be able to do .
What say you ?

olevetonahill
12/22/2008, 03:56 AM
If you died in the next 24 Hrs would you leave with any Regrets ?

OUHOMER
12/22/2008, 05:36 AM
Put down the OVJ. Your even typing like our sober UMM

olevetonahill
12/22/2008, 06:54 AM
Put down the OVJ. Your even typing like our sober UMM

Thats a skeery thot aint it .
But really Have any of Yall come to terms with Yer Death ?
When I was 18 I nevar thot I would see 19 And here I am 40 yrs later wondering WTF ?

Harry Beanbag
12/22/2008, 07:02 AM
I actually think about death more often than I probably should. I'm not a big fan of death and want no part of it, especially since we had our boy this year.

olevetonahill
12/22/2008, 07:05 AM
I actually think about death more often than I probably should. I'm not a big fan of death and want no part of it, especially since we had our boy this year.

Well thats Ok then , But Plan ahead for Him in case Ya aint around .:D

olevetonahill
12/22/2008, 07:07 AM
Im thinking in 2 Mo years Im gonna drop My Life Insurance . Hell Most of My shat will be Paid off . I can Preplan My Burying . and save the Bucks .

Jerk
12/22/2008, 09:10 AM
The thing that bothers me is not being around those I love and not being here for them.

What happens to me is of no big concern.

olevetonahill
12/22/2008, 09:23 AM
The thing that bothers me is not being around those I love and not being here for them.

What happens to me is of no big concern.

See My Kids are Grown , Im single . I just hope I can leave My Grand Kids something .

soonerbrat
12/22/2008, 09:25 AM
I have enough life insurance to pay off all my debts, have a nice funeral and leave my kids a little something. I'm leaving it all to my son though, he can share. I just don't want a single dime of that money to go to my stupid ex husband.

StoopTroup
12/22/2008, 09:32 AM
I still have a little girl to walk down the aisle....

However....since that will probably be the day I die....I'm calling it. :D ;)

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/father-of-the-bride400-280.jpg

OUDoc
12/22/2008, 09:34 AM
I've got a decent amount of life insurance for my wife and kids. Enough to pay off the house and for them to live on for a few years. Then they're screwed.

olevetonahill
12/22/2008, 09:35 AM
But are Yall satisfied with what youve Done with your Life to this Point ?

olevetonahill
12/22/2008, 09:36 AM
Personal accomplishment Have you attained Most if Not all of your Goals ?

StoopTroup
12/22/2008, 09:45 AM

I'm thinking I still have MNC #'s 8, 9, 10, 11, 12,....to see...but I guess I can watch it all over at God's hOUse. :D

BudSooner
12/22/2008, 09:52 AM
I'm thinking I still have MNC #'s 8, 9, 10, 11, 12,....to see...but I guess I can watch it all over at God's hOUse. :D

D00d, that is alot of RG11 coaxial cable.....I hope he has an amp to boost the signal or we may end up with a snowy picture.:D:D:D:D:D

soonerbrat
12/22/2008, 09:58 AM

no :(

Howzit
12/22/2008, 09:59 AM
I learned how to play Smoke on the Water finally, so I'm at peace.

olevetonahill
12/22/2008, 10:03 AM
I guess Ive Got to Find a New Challenge . I have done More than I ever thot Possible .

BudSooner
12/22/2008, 10:08 AM
I learned how to play Smoke on the Water finally, so I'm at peace.
Casio electric piano doesn't count dip****. :D
http://i7.ebayimg.com/03/i/08/0f/5a/a9_1.JPG

Howzit
12/22/2008, 10:09 AM
How about learning to Merengue?

Flagstaffsooner
12/22/2008, 10:21 AM
The thought of spending eternity next to Olevert shoveling coal to stoke the fires is scarry. And there are lots of whorns down there.

olevetonahill
12/22/2008, 10:36 AM
Something tells me Yall aint Being serious.

Tailwind
12/22/2008, 10:41 AM
I'm going kicking and screaming....I'm not done yet, and don't plan to be...ever!

olevetonahill
12/22/2008, 10:46 AM
The thought of spending eternity next to Olevert shoveling coal to stoke the fires is scarry. And there are lots of whorns down there.

Who or what is Olevert ?:D

SoonersEnFuego
12/22/2008, 10:51 AM
How about learning to Merengue?
Make that white part on top of a lemon or chocolate pie???;)

SoonersEnFuego
12/22/2008, 10:56 AM
My family will be better off financially when I die compared to what we're bringing in now. I'm constantly watching my back!;) :D

As far as "Am I at peace with it?" Yeah, I'm not ready. I wanna see my kids grow up and get married, but if it happened tomorrow...I've been truly blessed and lived a good 30 years. I have a great wife, a 12 year old boy, 9 year old boy, and a 20month old girl. I can't ask for much more than that. I've laughed alot in my days.

BudSooner
12/22/2008, 11:01 AM
Make that white part on top of a lemon or chocolate pie???;)

Heh, Howzit at the plate...a swing and a miss.

Reminds me of Sammy Sosa when he was a Tulsa Driller. :D

soonerboomer93
12/22/2008, 11:24 AM
D00d, that is alot of RG11 coaxial cable.....I hope he has an amp to boost the signal or we may end up with a snowy picture.:D:D:D:D:D

D00d

he's got a satellite

NormanPride
12/22/2008, 11:31 AM
I'm only 26, so I don't really want to go yet. But then again, I'm as happy as I've ever been, healthy, and I get to spend most of my time with the best person in the world. So I figure if I check out now, at least I did it at a high point.

I've never really had huge goals in life... having kids isn't a goal of mine, though it may someday be one. Right now, though, I'm content with things as they are. I guess you could say that's about as "at peace with it" as you can get, right? I'd like to travel the world, though, and see all the different people in it.

C&CDean
12/22/2008, 11:31 AM
I'm cool with your death.

OUDoc
12/22/2008, 11:32 AM

Except for seeing my kids grow up.

olevetonahill
12/22/2008, 11:38 AM
Except for seeing my kids grow up.

Mine are grown . I guess what Id Like to Know is How to set new Goals at this stage Of My life .

sooner_born_1960
12/22/2008, 11:42 AM
There are still a few things I'd like to accompl... THUMP.

captain_surly
12/22/2008, 11:46 AM
Im 58 And I know Ive just got a few left But Im good with it . Cause Ive Lived one Hell of a Life .
What say you ?

I'll play. I'm 53 and came to the pinnicle of my profession in a very strange way 10 years ago. My boss at the time filed a fradulent insurance claim and when he got caught he told the Feds that his boss made him do it and I helped. I got indicted by a Grand Jury (you legal types know how hard that is to get done) on five counts of conspiricy and fraud. I was looking at around 25 years.

The Feds said one year if you implicate the big boss but I had nothing for them. We went to trial and two and a half weeks later the jury came back and said everybody's not guilty. My old boss went to jail for a year and I got his job.

I managed to provide for my family quite well and we are on track to retire early or were until this economic mess came along. I also thought I learned not to sweat the small stuff because I had stared down the barrell of that gun and survived.

Then came last summer and back to back near death experiences 6 weeks apart. I survived sudden cardiac death, being shocked four times, broken ribs and a cracked sternum from chest compressions and that was just the first time. The second time my heart rate got to near 300 and they shocked me while I was awake. That stopped my heart and the next one started it again. An hour or so later I was back with my buddies in ICU.

There was no real reason for me to survive either time. I'm here awhile longer for some reason. It may until tomorrow or it may be twenty more years but it's all borrowed time and I'm grateful for every minute of it. I also insist on having a little fun every day and a lot on some days (see Texas Tech game).

I'm absolutely ready when my number is called. The only thing remotely sad about it to me is that I won't be here if my Wife or Mother need me.

Turd_Ferguson
12/22/2008, 12:12 PM
My Wife and I bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee back in 97. We still own it today and it has 300 thousand + miles on it. My oldest son drives it now, and we usually have to spend two or three hundred dollars every six months to have something fixed. My wife gets bent out of shape when we have to spend money on it, but I always tell her if it blow's up tomorrow, don't bitch cause it's done it's job several times over. That's the way I like to think of myself. I've done the best I can. If I blow up tomorrow, don't bitch, be happy of what you got out of me.:D I also liken myself to the immortal words of Gunnery Sgt. Thomas Highway: "I've drank more beer, pissed more blood and banged more quiff than all of you numnut's put together".:D

SanJoaquinSooner
12/22/2008, 12:56 PM
My dad came home a very sick man from his second tour during the Korean War. He died at age 33. I was only 8.

It wasn't a financial hardship since my mom worked and we received social security and veteran's benefits. But the emotional damage from losing a parent was significant.

I had kids late in life and I think about it constantly. It makes me not want to die. At least until they are adults themselves.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/22/2008, 01:09 PM
this is something I have been thinking about lately..as far as myself, I feel good about the life I've lived and if I died tomorrow, no regrets.

But my wife and kids need me. The thought about my kids growing up without me sucks. I 've got enough life insurance that would pay off everything, send my wife to college to four years without having to work.

Turd_Ferguson
12/22/2008, 01:28 PM
this is something I have been thinking about lately..as far as myself, I feel good about the life I've lived and if I died tomorrow, no regrets.

But my wife and kids need me. The thought about my kids growing up without me sucks. I 've got enough life insurance that would pay off everything, send my wife to college to four years without having to work.Pretty much my thoughts as well. My two boy's would pretty much run the house if I were gone, but the thought of not being able to walk down the aisle with my little girl causes me much grief. Plus, I wanna be there to throat punch her husband when they come back from their honey moon.

Chuck Bao
12/22/2008, 01:44 PM
When I told my grandmother that I wanted to move to Asia way back in ‘85, she said: “It’s your life. Now, go live it!”.

To answer your question, Olevet, if I were to pass on tomorrow, I would have no regrets. I have taken my grandmother’s words to heart and I have lived my life as I wanted to live it.

That is in no way selfish, as I see it.

I’d better not get into the “been there and done that” thing. But, I’ve been very fortunate and got a chance to meet a lot of very awesome people in this world.

Some of my friends have passed on and all we can do is to remember them and the good times and the richness of life. Planning is good and necessary. For thinking about death, I have no time.

LosAngelesSooner
12/22/2008, 04:15 PM
Olevet, you know, if you could just set those cheesy puffs down you might get another 40 or 50 years out of that wrinkled up body you're runnin' around in.

;)

1890MilesToNorman
12/22/2008, 04:21 PM
Mort Ality?

Didn't he win American Idol a few years ago?

soonervegas
12/22/2008, 06:06 PM
Hmmm...I can honestly say I am not afraid of death. There is something in the curious side of me that's wants to see what happens on the other side....so I won't be fearful of it.

I still want to stick around till my 4 yr old and 2 yr old become adults (this would be my only fear) and maybe enjoy some grandkids.

Other than that, I would rate my life enjoyment at about 97%. I have a few regrets, but nothing I can change in this life. Hopefully I get the opportunity to rectify it down the road....

LosAngelesSooner
12/23/2008, 07:20 PM
Olevet, you know, if you could just set those cheesy puffs down you might get another 40 or 50 years out of that wrinkled up body you're runnin' around in.

;)
Okay, to be clear, the above post was a joke.

Apparently someone got offended and thought I was being too personal and launching a personal attack. Dunno how...:confused:

Oh, and that person wasn't Olevet, either.

olevetonahill
12/23/2008, 09:37 PM
Okay, to be clear, the above post was a joke.

Apparently someone got offended and thought I was being too personal and launching a personal attack. Dunno how...:confused:

Oh, and that person wasn't Olevet, either.

I thot it was funny , what Happened ?
The Only things On here that Bug the Hell out Of me is Diisin My country , Fellow Vets, Current Service members or Kids.

OUinFLA
12/23/2008, 09:38 PM
My life was doing ok, until you came to visit me olevet.........then all I could think of was dying.

Is that what you were asking?

:D

Merry Christmas my friend.

olevetonahill
12/23/2008, 09:44 PM
My life was doing ok, until you came to visit me olevet.........then all I could think of was dying.

Is that what you were asking?

:D

Merry Christmas my friend.

Same to you Bro .
Tell your Lovely Wife merry Christmas also .

olevetonahill
12/24/2008, 12:50 AM
But jaun you Did Diss My Country .:D

SanJoaquinSooner
12/24/2008, 01:57 PM
But jaun you Did Diss My Country .:D

One of the hallmarks of our great country is that the speech of its citizens is protected. Not just that of popular ideas, but unpopular ones as well.

Fighting to protect the rights of its citizens does not give anyone the power to take away those rights because he/she is offended.

A United States citizen was honoring two countries he loved, by flying both flags. It was not a flag of North Korea or Iran or Cuba or any other enemy of the United States - where one might suggest a treasonous act. Rather the country is a friend of the United States.

I'm just glad the United States citizen whose property was stolen did not apply his 2nd amendment right to bear arms in defense of his property. Rather, he played it cool.:cool:

olevetonahill
12/24/2008, 02:00 PM
One of the hallmarks of our great country is that the speech of its citizens is protected. Not just that of popular ideas, but unpopular ones as well.

Fighting to protect the rights of its citizens does not give anyone the power to take away those rights because he/she is offended.

A United States citizen was honoring two countries he loved, by flying both flags. It was not a flag of North Korea or Iran or Cuba or any other enemy of the United States - where one might suggest a treasonous act. Rather the country is a friend of the United States.

I'm just glad the United States citizen whose property was stolen did not apply his 2nd amendment right to bear arms in defense of his property. Rather, he played it cool.:cool:

Dude you didnt get it then you dont get it Now . :P
Have a merry Christmas.

M
12/24/2008, 02:22 PM
Hell no I wouldn't want to die now. I'm only 27 and have a lot of **** left to do.

Viking Kitten
12/24/2008, 03:10 PM
Exactly! M and haven't been to a hashish bar in Amsterdam yet, nor have I shown her how to field dress a dead hooker. THERE'S JUST SO MUCH TO DO!

adoniijahsooner
12/24/2008, 03:19 PM
Dying is a glorious thing; for me seeing the children I brought into this world become adults is my last wish in this life; but as far as completing everything, there is always something left undone, which someone else needs to complete when the light fades olevet.

olevetonahill
12/24/2008, 04:07 PM
I Understand every One wants to go to Heaven Just Not in the Next Load :D

Tulsa_Fireman
12/25/2008, 02:26 AM
That's a damn good question, Vet.

Have I done or seen everything I wanted to in this life? No. Am I ready? No. Is it my call to make? No.

Am I cool with that? Yeah. I am.

With as many blessings as the Lord above has sent my way, both in beautiful gifts and the beautiful lessons learned from the trials I've endured, I understand full well that when the well runs dry, that's it. Time to stand before the Man. I'll do what I can, be what I can be, and hope I'm getting it right in the eyes of the Maker so when that day comes, I'll go to my judgment comfortable in the two most important things in my short time here. One, that I'll knowingly deserve whatever grace or grief the Lord sees fit to lay upon my shoulders, and two, the last words out of my mouth every evening as we go to sleep, every time we part, every time I have to leave the ones I love will be a reminder of that very fact. That I love 'em more than living, and that I always will.

That way there's no question when the day comes. It'll be the last thing they ever heard me say.

OUthunder
12/25/2008, 02:31 AM
If the good Lord let's me stick around to see my three kids become adults and start families of there own, that will be fine by me since neither one of my folks lived to see that day.

soonersweetie
12/25/2008, 04:28 PM
I'm 41 and i try not to think about it. Although I know I have to. For the most part I am comfortable with what I have accomplished in my life. I have 3 great kids. I am married to a wonderful man. I managed to move back to OK to be near my mom/dad. My biggest fear was that I would be on the west coast and something would happen to mom/dad and I wouldn't be able to be here to help them. I have accomplished that goal and I am glad I took the leap of faith to do it.

There is still so much I want to do. I want to see my kids grow and become adults and maybe have grandkids, if they wish.

I would like to go back to college and finally get my degree.

The hardest part about dying is that you leave family behind who have to endure your loss. I can't bear thinking about how sad my kids would be without their mom here. So, in that regard, I really would like to stay around a little bit longer.

olevetonahill
6/11/2012, 01:41 AM
Interesting to RE Read this.

Here it is almost 4 years later and I still havnt set any new goals

jk the sooner fan
6/11/2012, 06:51 AM

interesting question - and i understand where it's coming from - but having regrets AND fearing death is not a healthy combination imo

i know where i'm going when i'm done - so i'm at peace with it -whenever......but i'd love to know my grandkids - whenever they finally get here (no time soon)

Tulsa_Fireman
6/11/2012, 08:36 AM
Interesting to RE Read this.

Here it is almost 4 years later and I still havnt set any new goals

Do you really need new goals, though?

Isn't it enough to live right and as comfortable as living right will let you? Maybe throw in a Sunday service every once in awhile? Drink a beer on your porch while you marvel over the day that the Lord has made?

Hell, that sounds like fine living if you ask me.

marfacowboy
6/11/2012, 08:56 AM
I turn 50 this year, so I've probably thought about it more than ever. I'd say I'm a "young 50," though. I workout all the time and still run quite a bit, mostly so I can be here for my family.
I used to be religious and was raised in a conservative, Christian household, but I kicked it to the curb a long time ago. Too many unresolvable intellectual problems with gods and goddesses, although I would sign back up if I discovered there was a goddess. So, when I die, I have no idea what awaits, if anything. Probably just nothingness. Food for beetles. Then again, energy can never be destroyed, so perhaps there is some plane of existence we're not aware of. I tend to think like a Taoist on such matters.
I've achieved the most important thing I ever wanted, which was to have three happy, loving, intelligent children that are good, productive human beings. That is, in my opinion, my most important job. I couldn't live with myself had I failed as a father.
So, when my time comes, I'll die knowing I did well in the most important endeavor. At least for me.

8timechamps
6/11/2012, 03:01 PM
Do you really need new goals, though?

Isn't it enough to live right and as comfortable as living right will let you? Maybe throw in a Sunday service every once in awhile? Drink a beer on your porch while you marvel over the day that the Lord has made?

Hell, that sounds like fine living if you ask me.

My thoughts exactly.

Everything is temporary. The common thread that connects everyone, from a homeless bum on the street to the wealthiest person on the planet, is that we are all going to die.

Don't live life with regrets. The time we have on this planet is too short to waste time regretting anything. I learned a while back that I don't want to find myself on the way out thinking "I wish I had...".

Jack Nicholson, in the movie The Departed, said it best (walking through a bar, and asked a guy how his mother was, to which the man says something to the effect of "she's on her way out"), Jack replies "We all are, act accordingly."

olevetonahill
6/11/2012, 04:45 PM
I aint regrettin anything. Like I said when i stated this thread a few years back, Ive done things Most folks just dream about. Its Just that Ive always been a doer and Now Im just sittin around gettin fat, Well I did take up Bee keeping But thats about it

Guess Im feelin a tad lost right now . I always worked best under pressure and Now they aint none. If I dont get it done today I can always do it tomorrow that kinda deal. No Motivation

Tiptonsooner
6/11/2012, 06:16 PM
I aint regrettin anything. Like I said when i stated this thread a few years back, Ive done things Most folks just dream about. Its Just that Ive always been a doer and Now Im just sittin around gettin fat, Well I did take up Bee keeping But thats about it

Guess Im feelin a tad lost right now . I always worked best under pressure and Now they aint none. If I dont get it done today I can always do it tomorrow that kinda deal. No Motivation

Want me to come whip your *** with a switch when you get lazy??:sneakiness:

Turd_Ferguson
6/11/2012, 06:26 PM
Want me to come whip your *** with a switch when you get lazy??:sneakiness:Wait til he's mess'n with the bee's, cause he'll be nekked and what damage you do on the *** end, the bee's will do on the front end:D

olevetonahill
6/11/2012, 06:26 PM
Want me to come whip your *** with a switch when you get lazy??:sneakiness:
heh
Think Ill do some volunteer werk at the Old folks home. Who knows I may get lucky

8timechamps
6/11/2012, 07:47 PM

Sorry vet, my post wasn't meant as a response to your original post. I meant "no regrets" as a general statement. You don't strike me as the kind of guy walking around with a hundred regrets. Well, given the bee situation, you may have one in time. :D

Scott D
6/12/2012, 12:09 PM
you should take up bee husbandry, that would be more entertaining.

BAfan
6/12/2012, 01:21 PM
Im thinking in 2 Mo years Im gonna drop My Life Insurance . Hell Most of My shat will be Paid off . I can Preplan My Burying . and save the Bucks .

Hey, Olevet, do you still have that life insurance? If you do, you might want to talk to an estate attorney because you mentioned that you want to leave something to your grandchildren. Some folks have found that putting that death benefit into a trust for the grandkids (or whoever they want to leave something to) is a better deal than dropping the policy and trying to save money to leave behind. You and the attorney can do the math and figure out how long you will need to live and save in order to equal the death benefit of your policy.

badger
6/12/2012, 01:57 PM
What say you ?

I realize that even if I don't come to terms with it, it'll happen anyway.

But, as Linguini said in Ratatouille, "She believed in heaven, so she's covered." :)