PDA

View Full Version : How's that "Global Warming" theory working out....

OUinFLA
12/22/2008, 12:01 AM
for you guys up in the Midwest and Northern States?

Ya feeling it yet?

olevetonahill
12/22/2008, 12:08 AM
for you guys up in the Midwest and Norhern States?

Ya feeling it yet?

Whats Norhern ?:P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Curly Bill
12/22/2008, 12:55 AM
Hell, I'm in North Texas, and it ain't working here.

:hot: NOT!

Okla-homey
12/22/2008, 06:31 AM
for you guys up in the Midwest and Norhern States?

Ya feeling it yet?

You just shut your piehole mister. It is well-documented that the fact it's colder than normal this winter is proof that global warming is 4 realz.:rolleyes:

olevetonahill
12/22/2008, 07:03 AM
You just shut your piehole mister. It is well-documented that the fact it's colder than normal this winter is proof that global warming is 4 realz.:rolleyes:

Ya I believe that Like I believe SSC is Needed On an Airplane :rolleyes:

Harry Beanbag
12/22/2008, 07:05 AM
Las Vegas, Houston, and New Orleans wish they were in the southern states.

Jerk
12/22/2008, 08:03 AM
They got 9 more inches of Global Warming up in Maine and some areas have been without power for ten days now.

Okla-homey
12/22/2008, 08:15 AM
It's all good though, new administration gwine fix everyting

SoonerJack
12/22/2008, 09:01 AM
It's all good though, new administration gwine fix everyting

This one had me laughing for a while and reminded me of the line in Gone With the Wind when Scarlett is set on leaving for Atlanta. Mammy says, "well if you's gwine to Atlanta, I's gwine wicha."

Jerk
12/22/2008, 09:03 AM
There is actually someone up in Rhode Island who is a gun nut.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z111/Justice23_photos/snowman2008004.jpg

BudSooner
12/22/2008, 11:04 AM
They got 9 more inches of Global Warming up in Maine and some areas have been without power for ten days now.

Damn, Ron Jeremy's nephew moved up north? And knocked out power?

It's a Godzilla pud!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jacie
12/22/2008, 01:42 PM
Rather than try to explain color to a blind man I will put it like this.

The only thing wrong with "Global Warming Theory" is the name. It should read "Climate Change Theory".

If anyone here doubts that something is happening to the weather on a planetary scale, maybe this article will shed some light where apparently not much shines . . .

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/12/16/melting.ice/index.html

Ice melting across globe at accelerating rate, NASA says

By Emanuella Grinberg
CNN

(CNN) -- Between 1.5 trillion and 2 trillion tons of ice in Greenland, Antarctica and Alaska have melted at an accelerating rate since 2003, according to NASA scientists, in the latest signs of what they say is global warming.

This image shows the changing rate of mass in mountain glaciers on the Gulf of Alaska.

Using new satellite technology that measures changes in mass in mountain glaciers and ice sheets, NASA geophysicist Scott Luthcke concluded that the losses amounted to enough water to fill the Chesapeake Bay 21 times.

"The ice tells us in a very real way how the climate is changing," said Luthcke, who will present his findings this week at the American Geophysical Union conference in San Francisco, California.

NASA's Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment, or GRACE, mission uses two orbiting satellites to measure the "mass balance" of a glacier, or the net annual difference between ice accumulation and ice loss.

"A few degrees of change [in temperature] can increase the amount of mass loss, and that contributes to sea level rise and changes in ocean current," Luthcke said.

The data reflects findings from NASA colleague Jay Zwally, who uses different satellite technology to observe changing ice volume in Greenland, the Arctic and Antarctica.

In the past five years, Greenland has lost between 150 gigatons and 160 gigatons each year, (one gigaton equals one billion tons) or enough to raise global sea levels about .5 mm per year, said Zwally, who will also present his findings at the conference this week.

Don't Miss
Planet in Peril
GRACE measured that mountain glaciers in the Gulf of Alaska lost about 84 gigatons each year, about five times the average annual flow of the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon, according to NASA.

"Every few extra inches of sea level have very significant economic impacts, because they change the sea level, increase flooding and storm damage," said, Zwally, ICESat Project Scientist. "It's a warning sign."

Melting ice, especially in Greenland and the Arctic, is also thought to contribute to global warming, Zwally said. When the vast ice sheets and glaciers melt, they lose their reflective power, and instead, oceans and land absorb the heat, causing the Arctic waters and the atmosphere to warm faster.

"We're seeing the impacts of global warming in many areas of our own lives, like agriculture," Zwally said.

As an example, he cited the pine beetle infestation of this summer in the forests of Colorado and western Canada.

"They were believed to be spreading because the winter was not cold enough to kill them, and that's destroying forests," he said.

In the 1990s, Greenland took in as much snow and water as it let out, Zwally said. But now, about 15 years later, sea levels are rising about 50 percent faster, making the global climate situation even more unpredictable.

"The best estimates are that sea levels will rise about 18 to 36 inches by the end of the century, but because of what's going on and how fast things are changing, there's a lot of uncertainty," he said.

OUinFLA
12/22/2008, 02:07 PM
nerd

Turd_Ferguson
12/22/2008, 02:23 PM
I'm get'n one of those mybrain headaches that make my vision blurry and my stomach ache.

swardboy
12/22/2008, 02:36 PM
Dumbtastic:

OOPS, We Forgot Siberia! (M4GW) (http://www.m4gw.com:2005/m4gw/2008/12/oops_we_forgot_siberia.html) - Weather Stations in Coldest parts No Longer Reporting
Excerpt: The thing that these skewed chart never take into account is that when the Soviet Union fell in 1990 the number of reporting weather stations went form a high of 15,000 in 1970 to 5,000 in 2000. This takes some of the coldest places on the planet out of the equation like Siberia.# #

http://directorblue.blogspot.com/2008/12/consensus-hundreds-of-scientists-think.html

StoopTroup
12/22/2008, 02:41 PM
I was just telling my Wife I should get some warm boots...she says those crocs should last me another year. I just don't know.

http://www.quinnclimbs.com/photos/frostbitten_feet.jpg

bent rider
12/22/2008, 02:43 PM
There is actually someone up in Rhode Island who is a gun nut.

Is that snowman in a well-regulated militia?

Turd_Ferguson
12/22/2008, 02:43 PM
I was just telling my Wife I should get some warm boots...she says those crocs should last me another year. I just don't know.

http://www.quinnclimbs.com/photos/frostbitten_feet.jpgYou got some long *** toe's....and you need to cut them damn nails.:D

1890MilesToNorman
12/22/2008, 02:44 PM
I just got done cleaning up from about 16" of global warming! Yep, it's hotter then hell up here at about 16 degrees. This is Jan/Feb weather, not Dec.

1890MilesToNorman
12/22/2008, 02:49 PM
CNN? you get your info from CNN???

There some credibility right there, I tell you what.

StoopTroup
12/22/2008, 03:11 PM
You got some long *** toe's....and you need to cut them damn nails.:D

I'm going to get them trimmed pretty soon. :pop:

Maybe once it starts to cool off a bit.

Turd_Ferguson
12/22/2008, 03:16 PM
I'm going to get them trimmed pretty soon. :pop:

Maybe once it starts to cool off a bit.http://content6.flixster.com/question/36/97/54/3697544_std.jpg:D:D:D

OUinFLA
12/22/2008, 03:29 PM
I can't believe my serious thread has been denegrated into such drivel as StoopTroop's toe nails.

fyi ST, ya might want to get some not-so-tight socks.

Harry Beanbag
12/22/2008, 05:43 PM
Arctic Sea Ice Re-Freezing at Record Pace

The record melting of Arctic sea ice observed this summer and fall led to record-low levels of ice in both September and October, but a record-setting pace of re-freezing in November, according to the NASA Earth Observatory. Some 58,000 square miles of ice formed per day for 10 days in late October and early November, a new record.

Still, the extent of sea ice recorded in November was well shy of the median extent observed over the past quarter century, as the image from Nov. 14 (above, right) shows. The dramatic increase in ice is evident, when compared to the record-low amount observed Sept. 16 (below, right). In both images, 100% sea ice is shown in white, and the yellow line encompasses the area ion which there was at least 15% ice cover in at least half of the 25-year record for the given month.

The record melting of Arctic sea ice this summer was widely viewed as a harbinger of global warming, though unusual wind patterns played a role and many factors affecting fluctuations in Arctic ice are poorly understood by scientists. Still, so much ice melted that the fabled Northwest passage opened for the first time in history, and the melting broke a record, set just two years ago and by a country mile, that at the time was seen as unprecedented and worrying.

The area of persistent open water north of Alaska and eastern Siberia, according to NASA, is unusual for this time of year, though not unprecedented. This area was also largely free of ice in November 2002 and especially November 2006.

Here's how NASA explains the record re-growth of ice over that 10-day period in October and November:

Record sea ice growth rates after a record low may sound surprising at first, but it is not completely unexpected. The more ice that survives the summer melt, the less open water there is for new ice to grow. When summertime ice extent hits a record low, on the other hand, large areas of open water provide room for the ice to grow once temperatures cool off enough. While summer warming of the upper ocean surface can cause wintertime sea ice regrowth to lag initially, as the fall season progresses and sunlight weakens, the rate of energy loss from the ocean increases. That heat loss coupled with a large area of open water creates ideal conditions for sea ice to form rapidly over large areas.

http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/latest/arctic-sea-ice-47121205

BudSooner
12/22/2008, 06:47 PM
I have a warming in my pants, if that helps.

It may be due to ****house gases btw.

StoopTroup
12/22/2008, 10:31 PM
I have a warming in my pants, if that helps.

It may be due to ****house gases btw.

Well....isn't that special...

http://www.bitchdujour.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/adult-diaper.jpg

StormySooner-IN
12/23/2008, 12:00 AM
We actually managed to reach the double-digits today in Indy. :D

Cant wait to go to Florida in a few days....