PDA

View Full Version : Tough week in the jkjsooner family

jkjsooner
12/21/2008, 09:53 PM
I got word this week that my mother (65 years old) has a very large cancerous tumor in one of her lungs and it has also spread to her lymph nodes and adrenal gland. :(

She has been sick for over a year. Until this week it was thought she had Lupus but now it's clear that the cancer is what has caused her problems. I live a long way from Oklahoma so I don't get to see her often. She seemed a little functional over Thanksgiving but she had had cortizone injections and was on heavy medications. I've been told that normally she is in so much pain that she can't get out of bed.

I'm a little ticked off because she has been complaining of extreme chest pain (Lupus can cause that) and coughing up blood which the doctors attributed to allergies. How much does a darn x-ray cost anyway? Geez!

The good news is that ithas not spread to her brain and the chemo or radiation treatment may have some benefits. We weren't sure if even that was an option.

My mom was a smoker but stopped 25 years ago. I was hoping she was out of the woods but I guess you never know...

Right now I am feeling like the world's worst son. I was not planning on going home for Christmas as I was just there for Thanksgiving. My mom has actually said she really doesn't want everyone to come home because she can't really be a good host. (Like any of us would ask her to do anything for us...)

I am going to go sometime in January and maybe we can make it our own Christmas. I just don't know if I will ever forgive myself for not going home if this is her last Christmas. On the other hand I spent Thanksgiving away from my wife and she just lost her mom this year and her dad is coming out to visit us for Christmas...

It's times like these that really puts OU football in perspective We all get reminded of that from time to time.

If you guys pray regularly I would like you to consider saying a short prayer for my mom. I think God will know who "jkjsooner's mom" is. ;-)

Thanks for listening. Sometimes I just find posting to be great therapy.

StoopTroup
12/21/2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks for sharing JKJ.

Many of us have had our Family ups and downs. I've had my share lately. Hang in there! Good thoughts and prayers headed your way.

ST

King Crimson
12/21/2008, 09:59 PM
sorry to hear about your mom jkj.

Newbomb Turk
12/21/2008, 10:04 PM
I try to say a quick prayer when I go to bed. I will add your Mom to my prayers tonight.

A Sooner in Texas
12/21/2008, 10:17 PM
Thoughts and prayers for your mom and you.

OKC-SLC
12/21/2008, 11:57 PM
My best to you and the family, jkj

olevetonahill
12/22/2008, 12:14 AM
Dayum . In on the Prayers

OUHOMER
12/22/2008, 06:16 AM
IN, prayers sent. My mom has Lupus, Seems to be a catch all type disease.

jkjsooner
12/22/2008, 09:24 AM
IN, prayers sent. My mom has Lupus, Seems to be a catch all type disease.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope she has more good days than bad.

SteelCitySooner
12/22/2008, 10:07 AM
Thoughts and good vibes sent your way bro..

Boomer.....
12/22/2008, 10:09 AM
Prayers sent.

Tailwind
12/22/2008, 10:55 AM
In as well. Keep your chin up and try to be positive.

Czar Soonerov
12/22/2008, 12:26 PM
Sending prayers your way.

Turd_Ferguson
12/22/2008, 12:28 PM
IN on the prayer's. Peem if ya need anything.:(

Chuck Bao
12/22/2008, 03:00 PM
Since I am also a long way from home, I have some idea of your feelings.

May God be with your mom, you and the rest of your family.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

God bless.

TUSooner
12/22/2008, 04:13 PM
Prayers made for your mom and you.

IB4OU2
12/22/2008, 04:55 PM
In. :(

bent rider
12/22/2008, 06:03 PM
I got word this week that my mother (65 years old) has a very large cancerous tumor in one of her lungs and it has also spread to her lymph nodes and adrenal gland. :(

Large cell or small cell?
If its small, aka oat cell, beware because it has a greater chance of spreading further, and once it does get to the brain, quality of life can slip. If it has already spread to lymph and adrenal gland, that is not a good sign. Already stage III. Don't mean to scare you, but just advise to do what you can with her while you have the chance. In my (limited) experience with a family member, oncologists have a tendency to be overly optimistic; perhaps they hate to be the bearers of bad news all the time. Talk to all the caregivers, nurses especially.

You can get the straight scoop here:
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/non-small-cell-lung/Patient/page1

Good luck.