PDA

View Full Version : Title Game Analysis

L-Boy
12/21/2008, 06:45 PM
I will start out saying some of this, most of this may be redundant. But I only start it to try to encapsulate mine and others thoughts in one thread. As with most message boards, some the homers are extremely offended that the visiting fans actually think their team may win, and then construe various statements to absurd ends.

First, I think this game could go either way. It could be close either way, or it could be a blow out either way. When you take 2 different teams from different conferences without any common opponents, you don't know what you get. All statements are for the most part purely conjecture.

Having said that, here is how I see it:

Offense - personally, I think it is pretty even. OU offense has more total yds, but UF has slightly higher on yds per play. Personally, I am not willing to concede that OU has an advantage here, but for the sake of argument I will give OU a slight advantage purely on total yds gained.

Defense - I do think the offenses in the Big 12 are better, and that has something to do with the lower Big 12 defensive rankings. However, OU has given up over 40 points twice and given up an average 360 yds per game- great defenses don't do that. UF has one of the higher ranked defenses looking at the numbers. I will admit that UF has not seen an offense as productive as OU yet, so that is a variable. Also, as good as the UF D has looked, this D is only one year away from some pretty mediocre performances last year. Has this years improvement been solely due to maturity, or partly due to fairly mediocre SEC offenses? I will chalk it up to a little of both. Still, I give a decent edge to the Gators on defense.

Special Teams - I haven't followed OU's special teams much, so maybe I am taking a leap here, but UF special teams have been remarkable - blocked kicks, kick returns for TD's, good FG conversion %, very good yds per punt (although very few punts). Significant Edge - Gators

Based on the above - I would say the Gators have an edge, but still we are in a margin of error. That is why I think other factors come into play:

- Coaching- both Stoops and Meyer are solid coaches - no edge either way

- Setting / location - in Miami, FL, maybe slight advantage UF

- Prior championship game experience - a few players, including Tebow and Harvin have been there before. I would think that may be a slight advantage.

- Bowl performance - I think Meyer has an edge here. OU has laid an egg in their last 2 national championship showings and also againt BSU. I am not sure why, only thing I can figure is that OU's offense has always been fairly wide open, whether spread, short pass happy, etc, and against weaker team the "system" makes OU look better than they may have been some years. However, offensively this year OU is better with best QB I have seen them have. Defensively, I don't know.

- Athleticism - this is where the speed argument comes in that you guys are tired of. I will admit - I have not seen a player by player comparison, so I cannot definitively say that one team has an edge here. My sense is looking at some of the 40 times, prior recruiting rankings, etc, gators may have an edge here. This is only one factor, but if the coaching is equal and all other things are equal - it can be the deciding factor. This may have been the difference of TX over OU earlier this year

- Marquee games - I think the closest team OU played to UF is TX, and OU lost by 10 points. TX and UF have somewhat similar offensive production, and both TX and UF have athletes on defense. I think Meyer is a much better coach than Brown. I think Stoops is a better coach than Brown, but TX just won on better athletes. I do think OU has gotten better since then offensively. Defensively, I haven't seen it. UF's only really marquee game was Bama. Very different style team, but the fact that UF ends up beating #1 Bama by 11, without Harvin, says something IMO. OU fans may argue what about TT - yes, that was truly an impressive performance (and worrisome to UF fans). However, TT tends to fold on the road, and they have no defense whatsover - so while it was an impressive victory, I don't quite give it the weighting I do to the loss to TX, because I think TX was a better overall team, closer to what UF looks like, and on neutral field.

As for Ole Miss, I am kind of omitting it from the mix, which is very arguably a homer thing for me to do. I don't think anybody will argue that Ole Miss is a better team than UF. UF just didn't show up. They uncharacteristically coughed it up several times, and missed an extra point. No excuses, an L is an L, but I don't think that game is at all representative of what UF will do in a MNC game.

Its hard for me to see OU scoring less than 35, unless they unexpectedly cough up the ball more than once. Likewise, if TX can score 45 and OSU can score 41, I don't see why UF can't either. So I will say a 45-35, UF, or UF wins between 10-14 points in fairly high scoring game, but a couple of turnovers either way could change the final outcome.

Crucifax Autumn
12/21/2008, 07:19 PM
Fairly balanced analysis I suppose.

I will say though if you want to throw out your loss you should do the same with OUrs. Tech always folding on the road didn't seem to be a factor this year other than when they met a very motivated Sooner team.

The thing I think gives OU the edge is that we HAVE seen both offenses and defenses like yours, particularly offenses.

Florida has NOT seen anything even close to the versatile hurry up spread hybryd we run. It's been pointed out before but it's worth saying again that we can run a ton of offensive sets without changing personel, which is something that has given everyone fits this year.

I think you may have got your score prediction backward, but I hope Florida fans, players, coaches, media guys, and bookies all keep thinking like that.

P3 Gator
12/21/2008, 07:39 PM
Your tight end scares me more than anything. He is outstanding. Play action will be very interesting.

L-Boy
12/21/2008, 07:43 PM
Fairly balanced analysis I suppose.

I will say though if you want to throw out your loss you should do the same with OUrs. Tech always folding on the road didn't seem to be a factor this year other than when they met a very motivated Sooner team.

The thing I think gives OU the edge is that we HAVE seen both offenses and defenses like yours, particularly offenses.

Florida has NOT seen anything even close to the versatile hurry up spread hybryd we run. It's been pointed out before but it's worth saying again that we can run a ton of offensive sets without changing personel, which is something that has given everyone fits this year.

I think you may have got your score prediction backward, but I hope Florida fans, players, coaches, media guys, and bookies all keep thinking like that.

The point on Ole Miss is that the game was somewhat of a fluke. I don't think anybody believes that was what you would expect most of the time those 2 play, although in retrospect Ole Miss was better than everybody thought at the time.

The question is do you view the TX loss as a fluke? If OU plays TX 10 times, does OU win 6 or more, and if so, why?

Crucifax Autumn
12/21/2008, 07:44 PM
Yes it will, and Granger's not the only one to watch in those situations. All the WRs are a threat on any given play and Clapp has made some clutch catches from fullback.

Basically in every set we run everyone but the line and Bradford are potential receiving threats. If Bradford has at least 2 seconds of protection he'll find someone.

Crucifax Autumn
12/21/2008, 07:48 PM
The question is do you view the TX loss as a fluke? If OU plays TX 10 times, does OU win 6 or more, and if so, why?

I think it was somewhat of a fluke and that we win at least 6 of 10. IT was a bit of a perfect storm in that 1 week later Murray found his game, we were a bit unprepared for losing Reynolds, and most likely a different set of officials wouldn't fall for Colt's overdramatic acting late in the game. They did a great job of sticking around all game, but OU had the edge right up until Reynolds went out and even then if we'd had a MLB with just a bit more experience ready we'd have stopped them.

So really...I think we win more than not, but we did get beat and I'm not gonna make excuses for that. Truth is though, that outside that game from a body of work standpoint we are a far better team and thus lost to a team that shouldn't have beat us.

Dan Thompson
12/21/2008, 07:52 PM
Of the two team that scored over 40 points on OU.

First Texas was ranked #5 when we played them in Dallas. We lost our starting MLB and did not have a replacement, the second team #12 OSU was playing at home and had not lost a home until OU beat them.

So, yes, two ranked teams scored over points on OU.

cheezyq
12/21/2008, 07:57 PM
The point on Ole Miss is that the game was somewhat of a fluke. I don't think anybody believes that was what you would expect most of the time those 2 play, although in retrospect Ole Miss was better than everybody thought at the time.

It WASN'T a fluke. Texas is a great team. Some things could have went our way, and they didn't, as football games tend to do. Overall I think that OU is a better team than Texas, but with the unpredictability of things like the officials and other factors, we just have to accept that it's just football and we lost that game. Stuff happens.

I don't think you give Ole Miss enough credit. It wasn't a fluke, they were better than you that day.

A fluke is OU at Oregon in 2006. Well, maybe it's NOT a fluke, as we've been discovering that Pac-10 officials are pretty friggin' incompetent.

Iam4OUru
12/21/2008, 07:59 PM
Yes it will, and Granger's not the only one to watch in those situations. All the WRs are a threat on any given play and Clapp has made some clutch catches from fullback.

Basically in every set we run everyone but the line and Bradford are potential receiving threats. If Bradford has at least 2 seconds of protection he'll find someone.

I know you meant "Grishum", as Herbie says..... :)

I agree mostly with this dude's analysis.....that's why Florida is favored....

...and that's why I expect OU will win....:rolleyes:

OKC-SLC
12/21/2008, 08:08 PM
but TX just won on better athletes.

This is not correct, and it reflects either ignorance of what happened during that game or an inability to interpret what happened during that game.

Boy, I sure hope the UF coaches/players think Oklahoma's athleticism is a clear grade lower than theirs...

oupride
12/21/2008, 08:09 PM
The point on Ole Miss is that the game was somewhat of a fluke.[Click to view the fluke] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNDrCLl82mI&feature=related)
Yep, that Ole Miss D is a fluke.

Crucifax Autumn
12/21/2008, 08:15 PM
Wow...total brain fart on the Gresham thing. I really gotta lay off the Niquil.

ETGator1
12/21/2008, 08:16 PM
Coaching: Even
Offense: OU
Defense: UF
Special Teams: UF
Turnover Margin: Even
Wild Card: Tim Tebow, JMHO

L-Boy
12/21/2008, 08:26 PM
It WASN'T a fluke. Texas is a great team. Some things could have went our way, and they didn't, as football games tend to do. Overall I think that OU is a better team than Texas, but with the unpredictability of things like the officials and other factors, we just have to accept that it's just football and we lost that game. Stuff happens.

I don't think you give Ole Miss enough credit. It wasn't a fluke, they were better than you that day.

A fluke is OU at Oregon in 2006. Well, maybe it's NOT a fluke, as we've been discovering that Pac-10 officials are pretty friggin' incompetent.

I do give Ole Miss credit - they are probably the 3rd best team in the SEC behind UF and Bama. We just didn't know it when they beat us. Still, I think UF wins that game 8 out of 10 times, so that is why I call it a fluke. If we cough it up a few times like Ole miss, the OU will beat us by 2 touchdowns or more.

As far as bad calls, didn't OU get lucky on a TD pass that really wasn't a TD, or am I thinking of something else? I don't recall a lot of details from that game.

Crucifax Autumn
12/21/2008, 08:32 PM
Regardless of whether we did or not I'll just say no...you must be thinking of something else.

DCGator
12/21/2008, 09:07 PM
During the Ole Miss game, we uncharacteristically turned over the ball and gave up a couple of big plays. What may not be clear is that Florida did not put it together until the end of the Arkansas game. That was the week after Oregon State's little back, Jacquizz Rodgers, ran all over USC. I think it inspired Meyer how to use our small backs. We changed some blocking schemes and from that point on, our offense really started clicking.

I still think we are pretty evenly matched, although we have been better against the run than the pass this year, so OU makes me very nervous.

Crucifax Autumn
12/21/2008, 09:13 PM
We ran all over a lot of teams that were better against the run.

cheezyq
12/21/2008, 09:30 PM
Since we appear to have a Gator fan here that is open to logical analysis, I'd like to present my different approach:

Florida and Oklahoma haven't faced each other, and have not faced similar opponents. We all have perceptions about each other's talents and skills, speed/power/etc. My opinion is that we won't be able to say anything about those things legitimately until AFTER the game, since all such arguments are based purely on conjecture.

Let's also establish that OU can't simply write off all SEC offenses as crappy and dismiss UF's defense. UF likewise can't write off OU's offense as facing a bunch of crappy defenses. The arguments are circular, and get us nowhere.

I'm also going to speak mainly from an OU perspective, because that's what I know the best. I do know a bit about UF, but I can't go into detail about each of their games.

Offense - Here I give a distinct edge to OU. The biggest reason is the matchup with TCU early in the season. TCU has the 2nd ranked defense. While TCU might not have the athletes that UF boasts or faced the schedule that UF has, they are clearly an excellent and diverse defense.

TCU faced Utah, OU, and BYU, all of which were top 20 offensive teams and still maintain that ranking...which is at the very least impressive.. TCU held Utah to 13 points and BYU to 7 points.

Oklahoma scored 21 points in the 1st quarter, and put up 28 points at the half, adding another TD shortly after halftime. The thing that stood out the most to me with that game is that OU has just too many weapons. It's not just the speed/talent of the players. It's the scheme, the diversity of the skill players, the offensive line, and Sam Bradford. TCU brought heavy pressure on Bradford, yet he still was able to make consistent plays. And after OU was up 35-3, the rest of the game was spent running the ball up the middle.

The fact that TCU held OU off on the ground at that point confirms that they have a stout defense. It also tells me that this game could have gotten ridiculous if OU wanted it to.

So, while I will rank the Florida defense at the same level as TCU, I highly doubt that UF can stop or contain the OU offense. The Ole Miss game confirms my suspicions. This is Oklahoma's single distinct advantage.

Defense - Welcome to OU's version of Jekyll and Hyde. I am OU's biggest critic when it comes to defense (with apologies to Curly Bill). OU has speed on defense. OU has deliberately placed former safeties into the linebacker positions, and moved former linebackers/hybrids into defensive end positions. Speed and talent are NOT the problems here. The problem is scheme. OU has clearly attackable weak points in the scheme that can frequently and successfully be exploited. This is the trademark of Brent Venables. Most games we rely purely on athleticism and speed to accomplish our defensive goals. Creative offensive thinkers have no problem finding weaknesses. The only thing that keeps the defense from getting out of hand is the talent/athleticism of the players.

On the other hand, I've seen some interesting changes in the OU defense this year. In the games where we've performed well, we've done a fantastic job of mixing up schemes and creating confusion. As a result, the biggest thing that this has done for us has been the creation of turnovers. The reason we bury some teams is that we've taken the ball away, and once you give this offense a short field, it's over.

First, I'm going to throw out the Texas Tech game, because we just have their number. Same with Missouri. We own those guys on defense. The most impressive performances to me would probably be the Texas and the OSU games. "But you gave up 40 to both teams!" True...but here's what impressed me:

Texas: We held Texas to 13 in the first half (one of the scores was a return TD). It took an injury to our defensive leader at LB, two bogus 15-yard roughing penalties, a referee missing an interception call, and a PERFECT game from Colt McCoy to defeat us. No turnovers, several bounces going UT's direction, and they still trailed until the 4th quarter.

OSU: Again, one score was a return TD, so the numbers for the defense are a bit misleading. The defense also contained an offense that features a balanced running attack, and a quarterback who is not only accurate, but can run VERY well. I only say "contained" because we forced turnovers that gave more chances to our offense and allowed us to control the game.

There is NO doubt that UF has a better defense. We HAVE to concede that. Like I said earlier, I don't think it's a talent thing, I think it's a scheme thing. But the reality is that UF has a better defense. I don't think it's a HUGE advantage, but it's an advantage none-the-less.

I know it bugs UF fans to hear this, but you truly have not faced an offense as dynamic as OU's. The highest ranked offense that you've faced averages 20 points per game less than OU. You absolutely have the talent to make plays on defense, but I just don't think it matters with this OU offense, based on what we've seen throughout the year.

Tebow: the man is phenomenal. That's about all I can say. He's a brute. He's a man. He's a competitor. He's fairly accurate, too. He runs like Brandon Jacobs when he's at full steam.

UF also has playmakers everywhere on offense. That's probably the difference between UF and Texas. UF on offense is basically a combination of Oklahoma State (that's NOT an insult, it's a compliment) and Texas. They're very dynamic.

Here is where everything comes together:

I think that in order for Florida to win, they have to lock-step with OU's offense. I just don't think that OU can be stopped consistently, not even held to 35 points...UNLESS Florida DOES NOT TURN IT OVER. If Tebow can not only make plays, but also not turn it over, then Florida wins. Otherwise, OU wins.

Those BOTH have to go together, though. Florida can't just protect the ball and not make plays. Florida also can't just make plays but have an oops here or there, turning the ball over. OU has shown that it can take the ball away, and I think that they have the capability to put pressure on Tebow on defense and force a turnover or two. If that happens, UF is toast.

This was the single biggest reason that Texas won. Colt McCoy made play after play, kept the OU offense off the field, and never turned the ball over. He threaded the ball into ridiculously tight spaces. The OU defense played fabulously, yet Colt was just accurate enough to keep OU off the field. If Texas turns that ball over even one time, OU wins that game.

And I'm not convinced that Tebow has that kind of accuracy. I'm absolutely certain that Tebow can make things happen, and UF certainly has playmakers that UT doesn't have. UF can also try to keep it on the ground with Harvin and Demps and co. But if they go that direction I think that backfires, as OU has established that they are good run stoppers. If UF is forced to take to the air, then it all comes down to Tebow and his accuracy.

Regardless of all that, I think this may be one of the most entertaining MNC games in the history of college football.

cheezyq
12/21/2008, 09:36 PM
I do give Ole Miss credit - they are probably the 3rd best team in the SEC behind UF and Bama. We just didn't know it when they beat us. Still, I think UF wins that game 8 out of 10 times, so that is why I call it a fluke. If we cough it up a few times like Ole miss, the OU will beat us by 2 touchdowns or more.

As far as bad calls, didn't OU get lucky on a TD pass that really wasn't a TD, or am I thinking of something else? I don't recall a lot of details from that game.

Well then we basically just disagree on the usage of fluke. As a team, you're probably 30-40% better than Ole Miss, so when the ball bounces the wrong way, you're bound to lose a game here or there. That's not a fluke (to me), just the nature of the game.

Same with OU/Texas. We're probably about 5-15% better, and the bounces/calls/injuries just didn't go our way that game. They were the better team that day. Again, just the nature of the game.

The Oregon/OU game in 2006, however...we won that game. The referees determined the outcome of that game, making it a fluke.

Gatorcarson
12/21/2008, 09:43 PM
This gator agree its a lot of a guessing game without any common opponents. Its like comparing one of our teams against the Detroit Lions.

At any rate, I have watched most OU games on TV (my family grew up there and I grew up an OU fan. My second favorite team). For a Gator, I consider myself fairly knowlegable about OU. My guess is:

OU offense: Most can agree, if OU is to win, this is where it will be. I honestly don't think OU has seen a defense with near this much speed an there are some guys on UF's d line that OU will have problems with. Having said that, I think for as good as UF's defense is (and it is legit), our one weakness is against a good throwing game. Our safety Wright, is very poor with the ball in the air but he will hit you when you have it. Our other safety is good but a step slow somethimes. We have not played a good passing team all year except UGA and they were marging up and down until some turnovers just tilted the entire game. Our corners are very good and will slow things down, but in the end, the middle of the field may be the Gators undoing.

UF offense will be good and probably as good as any OU has seen but not good enough in the end.

Special teams - if OU makes some mistakes and the gators hang close, this will give UF the edge. Our special teams is good in every aspect except kick coverage. This can make the difference.

close game by clearly the two best teams in the country. In the end I am afraid

OU 38 UF 34

KingBarry
12/21/2008, 09:51 PM
During the Ole Miss game, we uncharacteristically turned over the ball and gave up a couple of big plays. What may not be clear is that Florida did not put it together until the end of the Arkansas game. That was the week after Oregon State's little back, Jacquizz Rodgers, ran all over USC. I think it inspired Meyer how to use our small backs. We changed some blocking schemes and from that point on, our offense really started clicking.

I still think we are pretty evenly matched, although we have been better against the run than the pass this year, so OU makes me very nervous.

What might not be clear to Gator fans, is that OU did not put it together until after the Texas game. For whatever reason, lingering injuries, blocking schemes, mental attitudes, I'm not sure, our running game was non-existent up through the Texas game.

Starting the week after the Texas game, our running backs really put it together, and with the run game freeing up receivers, our O became a frightening machine.

We also changed up the snap counts on the no huddle offense. Through Texas, we were coming to the line and snapping the ball. This didn't allow us to hold on to the ball very long, and our very short possessions were wearing down the defense -- very apparent in sweltering Dallas in the Cotton Bowl.

To give the D a little more R&R, we started lining up quickly, thereby forcing the opposing defense to also come to the line, and then delaying the snap. This allowed our D to rest, and had a secondary advantage by confusing the opposing defense, who never knew when the snap would come. It also made it impossible for opposing Ds to change personnel to better match up against our shifting offensive formations, which as previously stated all over this board are not dependent on personnel.

These two developments -- improved run game, better ball management -- may not sound like much, but they have fundamentally changed the nature of our offense.

Therefore, honestly, I don't think either your loss to Mississippi, or our loss to Texas, have much to tell us about the game January 8.

But I will tell you this. I think it is going to be one heck of a National Championship game.

boomermagic
12/22/2008, 10:33 AM
This gator agree its a lot of a guessing game without any common opponents. Its like comparing one of our teams against the Detroit Lions.

At any rate, I have watched most OU games on TV (my family grew up there and I grew up an OU fan. My second favorite team). For a Gator, I consider myself fairly knowlegable about OU. My guess is:

OU offense: Most can agree, if OU is to win, this is where it will be. I honestly don't think OU has seen a defense with near this much speed an there are some guys on UF's d line that OU will have problems with. Having said that, I think for as good as UF's defense is (and it is legit), our one weakness is against a good throwing game. Our safety Wright, is very poor with the ball in the air but he will hit you when you have it. Our other safety is good but a step slow somethimes. We have not played a good passing team all year except UGA and they were marging up and down until some turnovers just tilted the entire game. Our corners are very good and will slow things down, but in the end, the middle of the field may be the Gators undoing.

UF offense will be good and probably as good as any OU has seen but not good enough in the end.

Special teams - if OU makes some mistakes and the gators hang close, this will give UF the edge. Our special teams is good in every aspect except kick coverage. This can make the difference.

close game by clearly the two best teams in the country. In the end I am afraid

OU 38 UF 34

Wow, A gator fan who is looking at the entire picture.. I pretty much see things the same as you.. I don't know who will win{I am predicting an OU victory but that is mostly due to my homerism} but it should be a close, GREAT game.. I can't wait..

ETGator1
12/22/2008, 11:18 AM
Slow down the OU running game and UF will win. OU had less than 50 yards rushing against Texas. The horns brought pressure and ended up intercepting Bradford twice.

The Sooners run the ball 65% of the time on first down. 2nd and short is OU's bread and butter play to go long and it has been very successful with most of the long completions being on 2nd down. In 3rd and short, OU comes back to the short passing game 68% of the plays.

The OU line is very big on the left side. However, they are an average of 8 lbs per man lighter than the biggest OL UF faced, LSU. They remind me of Bama in that they have two great players on the OL. Bama had Andre Smith and Antoine Caldwell. OU has Phil Loadholt and Duke Robinson. The Sooners center is 6'3"/290 and the RG is 6'3"/284. Like Bama, I have to think that OU is a more of a left side running team with their best players on the left side of the OL. Insofar as the running game is concerned, playing Bama in the SECCG was an excellent tune up and especially so with DeMarco Murray out of the BCSNCG game.

First down will be the key for the UF defense. UF needs to put OU in 2nd and 7 or longer and keep the Sooner offense off their 2nd down long pass down. Major Wright (FS) is going to be a big key with OU throwing so much. Major must make good decisions and have good angles to the ball. It would be helpful if he looked for the ball as much as he tries to punish the receiver. UF would lead turnover margin instead of being second behind OU if Major just looked for the ball more.

Coverage and tackling in the UF secondary will have to be highly successful if UF is going to win. Besides the secondary being tested more than any other game, the UF defensive game plan doesn't change that much. Slow down the run and force OU to be more one dimensional with the pass.

If UF does put OU in 2nd and long, look for a trend change with passes to Brown or Madu out of the backfield or to Jermaine Gresham. I doubt Bobby will want to see deep throws on 2nd and long. That's the prescription for 3 and outs which will get OU beaten.

L-Boy
12/25/2008, 10:26 PM
Since we appear to have a Gator fan here that is open to logical analysis, I'd like to present my different approach:

Florida and Oklahoma haven't faced each other, and have not faced similar opponents. We all have perceptions about each other's talents and skills, speed/power/etc. My opinion is that we won't be able to say anything about those things legitimately until AFTER the game, since all such arguments are based purely on conjecture.

Let's also establish that OU can't simply write off all SEC offenses as crappy and dismiss UF's defense. UF likewise can't write off OU's offense as facing a bunch of crappy defenses. The arguments are circular, and get us nowhere.

I'm also going to speak mainly from an OU perspective, because that's what I know the best. I do know a bit about UF, but I can't go into detail about each of their games.

Offense - Here I give a distinct edge to OU. The biggest reason is the matchup with TCU early in the season. TCU has the 2nd ranked defense. While TCU might not have the athletes that UF boasts or faced the schedule that UF has, they are clearly an excellent and diverse defense.

TCU faced Utah, OU, and BYU, all of which were top 20 offensive teams and still maintain that ranking...which is at the very least impressive.. TCU held Utah to 13 points and BYU to 7 points.

Oklahoma scored 21 points in the 1st quarter, and put up 28 points at the half, adding another TD shortly after halftime. The thing that stood out the most to me with that game is that OU has just too many weapons. It's not just the speed/talent of the players. It's the scheme, the diversity of the skill players, the offensive line, and Sam Bradford. TCU brought heavy pressure on Bradford, yet he still was able to make consistent plays. And after OU was up 35-3, the rest of the game was spent running the ball up the middle.

The fact that TCU held OU off on the ground at that point confirms that they have a stout defense. It also tells me that this game could have gotten ridiculous if OU wanted it to.

So, while I will rank the Florida defense at the same level as TCU, I highly doubt that UF can stop or contain the OU offense. The Ole Miss game confirms my suspicions. This is Oklahoma's single distinct advantage..

Seems to me you are giving an awfully disproportionate importance to the TCU game. Yeah, they have good D, but saying that their D is comparable to the Gator D is a huge leap, given the schedule they play.

I don't think you can give a "distinct" edge to OU. I would rate them even, but you can argue slight edge to OU, but given the offensive efficiency (yds per play, the playmakers UF has, and the way they take care of the ball (except Old Miss) I say it is even money.

I don't doubt that OU will score, perhaps plenty, but I just don't think it will be enough (ala TX game)

Defense - Welcome to OU's version of Jekyll and Hyde. I am OU's biggest critic when it comes to defense (with apologies to Curly Bill). OU has speed on defense. OU has deliberately placed former safeties into the linebacker positions, and moved former linebackers/hybrids into defensive end positions. Speed and talent are NOT the problems here. The problem is scheme. OU has clearly attackable weak points in the scheme that can frequently and successfully be exploited. This is the trademark of Brent Venables. Most games we rely purely on athleticism and speed to accomplish our defensive goals. Creative offensive thinkers have no problem finding weaknesses. The only thing that keeps the defense from getting out of hand is the talent/athleticism of the players.

On the other hand, I've seen some interesting changes in the OU defense this year. In the games where we've performed well, we've done a fantastic job of mixing up schemes and creating confusion. As a result, the biggest thing that this has done for us has been the creation of turnovers. The reason we bury some teams is that we've taken the ball away, and once you give this offense a short field, it's over.

First, I'm going to throw out the Texas Tech game, because we just have their number. Same with Missouri. We own those guys on defense. The most impressive performances to me would probably be the Texas and the OSU games. "But you gave up 40 to both teams!" True...but here's what impressed me:

Texas: We held Texas to 13 in the first half (one of the scores was a return TD). It took an injury to our defensive leader at LB, two bogus 15-yard roughing penalties, a referee missing an interception call, and a PERFECT game from Colt McCoy to defeat us. No turnovers, several bounces going UT's direction, and they still trailed until the 4th quarter.

OSU: Again, one score was a return TD, so the numbers for the defense are a bit misleading. The defense also contained an offense that features a balanced running attack, and a quarterback who is not only accurate, but can run VERY well. I only say "contained" because we forced turnovers that gave more chances to our offense and allowed us to control the game.

There is NO doubt that UF has a better defense. We HAVE to concede that. Like I said earlier, I don't think it's a talent thing, I think it's a scheme thing. But the reality is that UF has a better defense. I don't think it's a HUGE advantage, but it's an advantage none-the-less.

I know it bugs UF fans to hear this, but you truly have not faced an offense as dynamic as OU's. The highest ranked offense that you've faced averages 20 points per game less than OU. You absolutely have the talent to make plays on defense, but I just don't think it matters with this OU offense, based on what we've seen throughout the year.

Tebow: the man is phenomenal. That's about all I can say. He's a brute. He's a man. He's a competitor. He's fairly accurate, too. He runs like Brandon Jacobs when he's at full steam.

UF also has playmakers everywhere on offense. That's probably the difference between UF and Texas. UF on offense is basically a combination of Oklahoma State (that's NOT an insult, it's a compliment) and Texas. They're very dynamic.

Notwithstanding your detailed analysis, I don't see any trends with OU D to make me think they are getting better. They gave up 41 to Okie St. Yes, OSU has good offense, but I would argue no better (and probably not as good) as UF's, and UF has markedly better D. OU gave up 45 to TX and 41 to OSU, so unless the Gators turn it over excessively, no reason for me to think UF won't score at least 40 too.

Here is where everything comes together:

I think that in order for Florida to win, they have to lock-step with OU's offense. I just don't think that OU can be stopped consistently, not even held to 35 points...UNLESS Florida DOES NOT TURN IT OVER. If Tebow can not only make plays, but also not turn it over, then Florida wins. Otherwise, OU wins.

Those BOTH have to go together, though. Florida can't just protect the ball and not make plays. Florida also can't just make plays but have an oops here or there, turning the ball over. OU has shown that it can take the ball away, and I think that they have the capability to put pressure on Tebow on defense and force a turnover or two. If that happens, UF is toast.

I agree, turnoevers by either team could swing it either way. While OU takes care of the ball very well, UF is one of the best in the nation in turnover margin. I would not bank on UF losing due to turnovers. Ole Miss seems to be the exception.

This was the single biggest reason that Texas won. Colt McCoy made play after play, kept the OU offense off the field, and never turned the ball over. He threaded the ball into ridiculously tight spaces. The OU defense played fabulously, yet Colt was just accurate enough to keep OU off the field. If Texas turns that ball over even one time, OU wins that game.

And I'm not convinced that Tebow has that kind of accuracy. I'm absolutely certain that Tebow can make things happen, and UF certainly has playmakers that UT doesn't have. UF can also try to keep it on the ground with Harvin and Demps and co. But if they go that direction I think that backfires, as OU has established that they are good run stoppers. If UF is forced to take to the air, then it all comes down to Tebow and his accuracy.

Regardless of all that, I think this may be one of the most entertaining MNC games in the history of college football.

There is a perception around here that Tebow is not that accurate, and there is nothing further from the truth. He completed 65% of his passes. While that is not as high as McCoy, his passes were much longer, his yds per attempt are actually higher than McCoys. He has fifth highest QB passing rating D1A(behind Bradford and McCoy). I am always quite amazed at how he puts the ball where it needs to be, and is an excellent long ball thrower also. He throws very few interceptions.

GottaHavePride
12/25/2008, 10:51 PM
Notwithstanding your detailed analysis, I don't see any trends with OU D to make me think they are getting better. They gave up 41 to Okie St. Yes, OSU has good offense, but I would argue no better (and probably not as good) as UF's, and UF has markedly better D. OU gave up 45 to TX and 41 to OSU, so unless the Gators turn it over excessively, no reason for me to think UF won't score at least 40 too.

Comparing UF to Oklahoma State (gack. Am I seriously doing that?) anyway, Tebow is a great runner, but OSU's QB is more elusive. Tebow will break more tackles, though.

There is a perception around here that Tebow is not that accurate, and there is nothing further from the truth. He completed 65% of his passes. While that is not as high as McCoy, his passes were much longer, his yds per attempt are actually higher than McCoys. He has fifth highest QB passing rating D1A(behind Bradford and McCoy). I am always quite amazed at how he puts the ball where it needs to be, and is an excellent long ball thrower also. He throws very few interceptions.

You missed the point there. He didn't say Tebow wasn't an accurate passer. He said he's not as accurate as McCoy. And the stat you just cited says as much.

cheezyq
12/25/2008, 10:56 PM
Seems to me you are giving an awfully disproportionate importance to the TCU game. Yeah, they have good D, but saying that their D is comparable to the Gator D is a huge leap, given the schedule they play.

I don't think you can give a "distinct" edge to OU. I would rate them even, but you can argue slight edge to OU, but given the offensive efficiency (yds per play, the playmakers UF has, and the way they take care of the ball (except Old Miss) I say it is even money.

I don't doubt that OU will score, perhaps plenty, but I just don't think it will be enough (ala TX game)

Well, I've given you fair examples using a real game and statistics. Note also what TCU did to Boise State, a team that averages 39 ppg. If you think you can dismiss the TCU defense with a mere, "Bah, they're not FU", then so be it. Just know that the burden of proof is on you, not me.

Did you watch those games? Again, that burden of proof is upon you, not me. I've seen the games, done the analysis. You again, are trying to dismiss the analysis with a mere, "Bah, FU's defense is better". Prove it.

I agree, turnoevers by either team could swing it either way. While OU takes care of the ball very well, UF is one of the best in the nation in turnover margin. I would not bank on UF losing due to turnovers. Ole Miss seems to be the exception.

Nothing here disproves my point. Again, no facts. No logic. Just a mere dismissal of the point by saying, "FU doesn't turn the ball over".

What did I say about Tebow? You may want to re-read that part, as usual. The funny thing is that you only prove my point with the few statistics that you quote.

But, of course, I forgot that:

1. OU is slow.
2. Big 12 defenses suck.

I guess that trumps everything. SEC RULEZ! :rolleyes:

L-Boy
12/25/2008, 11:28 PM
Well, I've given you fair examples using a real game and statistics. Note also what TCU did to Boise State, a team that averages 39 ppg. If you think you can dismiss the TCU defense with a mere, "Bah, they're not FU", then so be it. Just know that the burden of proof is on you, not me.

Did you watch those games? Again, that burden of proof is upon you, not me. I've seen the games, done the analysis. You again, are trying to dismiss the analysis with a mere, "Bah, FU's defense is better". Prove it.

Nothing here disproves my point. Again, no facts. No logic. Just a mere dismissal of the point by saying, "FU doesn't turn the ball over".

What did I say about Tebow? You may want to re-read that part, as usual. The funny thing is that you only prove my point with the few statistics that you quote.

But, of course, I forgot that:

1. OU is slow.
2. Big 12 defenses suck.

I guess that trumps everything. SEC RULEZ! :rolleyes:

I thought I'd try to change the tone by going back to your post your linked. but you insist on continued flaming.

All I am saying is that you place a whole bunch of your argument on the fact that OU beat up the mighty TCU defense. I am not arguing they aren't a good D, but resting all of your case on a team in the mountain west is a fairly frail case. Why not TX?? I would say they are more comparable to UF defense than TCU, although I would say UF is better (based upon statistics). As to Boise St, the fact that they average 39 points in the WAC does not necessarily impress me.

As to TX and OU games, I did watch them, but admittedly not closely. But so what? Points are points. So are you saying those were abberations? You have done what analysis? So you watch the games, conclude that won't happen again by supposition, and the burden is upon me to disprove your case why OU won't give up 40 again to another top ranked offense?

As to turnovers, you are the one who went on the big diatribe about turnovers, and OU's greatness. I am merely pointing out by statistics that UF is at least as good or better than OU in that dept. Now I will agree that if either side turns it over more than the other, that team probably loses, and anything can happen on any given day (ala Ole Miss)

In terms of McCoys accuracy, I won't argue he isn't a good QB, but everybody got all hot and bothered about him because of his high % completion stats. However, all that could mean is that he is doing a lot of dumping to backs and other short passes. If you look at Yds per attempt, which encompasses both % complete and yds per complete, Tebow is better than McCoy (but behind Bradford and Robinson). If you are going to say McCoy is more accurate than Tebow, you have to say he is more accurate than Bradford. I am not going to say either because the longer the pass the less likely it is you complete it. Hell, 50% or more of McCoy's passing yds could be YAC yards. I doubt that is the case with Tebow or Bradford.

But also, a key aspect to accuracy is not throwing it to the other team. Tebow has only thrown 2 pics this year, compared to 7 for McCoy.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/25/2008, 11:46 PM
egads dude, the reason we use TCU, and heck texas, too is that they have the right personnel matchups to shut down our ground game. our passing game hasn't really been shut down by anyone.

the key to shutting down our ground game is a DT that commands a double team and even then its a good bet he can split it and a strong run-stopping DE who can push an OT up the field. if you have that combination then yes, you are going to shut our run game down like texas and TCU did. in 3rd and long, texas did an interesting twist by rolling a linebacker up at DE who just brutalized one of our OTs.

i'm not going to say florida can't disrupt us, because i've seen it done in the past by teams that shouldn't have been able to do it, but what i saw against alabama was a defense that had good linebackers and so/so line play. those are the teams that chris brown tends to do well against because he is always falling forward for a couple of extra yards.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/25/2008, 11:48 PM
In terms of McCoys accuracy, I won't argue he isn't a good QB, but everybody got all hot and bothered about him because of his high % completion stats. However, all that could mean is that he is doing a lot of dumping to backs and other short passes. If you look at Yds per attempt, which encompasses both % complete and yds per complete, Tebow is better than McCoy (but behind Bradford and Robinson). If you are going to say McCoy is more accurate than Tebow, you have to say he is more accurate than Bradford. I am not going to say either because the longer the pass the less likely it is you complete it. Hell, 50% or more of McCoy's passing yds could be YAC yards. I doubt that is the case with Tebow or Bradford.

mccoy never threw the ball farther than 10 yards against us.

Sooner Eclipse
12/26/2008, 12:10 AM
JKM, I've often read your analysis of our games and been amazed at your accuracy. You called the SUC game, dead on. What are your thoughts on this one?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/26/2008, 12:21 AM
meh, i thought we could play a clean game. we didn't. i'm waiting until next weekend to figure out our TO margin - but right now i'd say OU has to be +1 in TO margin and has to rush for 175 to win.

Sooner Eclipse
12/26/2008, 12:31 AM
meh, i thought we could play a clean game. we didn't. i'm waiting until next weekend to figure out our TO margin - but right now i'd say OU has to be +1 in TO margin and has to rush for 175 to win.

Well, you had made the comment on some Sooner seniors not being focused on the game. That got my attention then. Since, it has become a recurring problem w focus. I'm hoping we're past that issue now.

cheezyq
12/26/2008, 12:34 AM
I thought I'd try to change the tone by going back to your post your linked. but you insist on continued flaming.

Where did I "flame"? I just pointed out that you said nothing. You didn't prove anything. I'm waiting for an argument from you that includes facts or statistics that proves anything I said was wrong.

All I am saying is that you place a whole bunch of your argument on the fact that OU beat up the mighty TCU defense. I am not arguing they aren't a good D, but resting all of your case on a team in the mountain west is a fairly frail case. Why not TX?? I would say they are more comparable to UF defense than TCU, although I would say UF is better (based upon statistics). As to Boise St, the fact that they average 39 points in the WAC does not necessarily impress me.

Yes you ARE arguing that they're not a good defense. Otherwise you wouldn't try to disregard my point. And where are these "statistics" that say that FU is better than TCU on defense??? TCU is ranked #2 behind USC in defense. Frail case? All TCU has done is face the #1, #12, #15, and #19th ranked offenses in the country, proceeded to hold up as the #2 ranked defense overall, while allowing 3 of those offenses to score only 16, 13, and 7 points, respectively.

What has FLORIDA done? The HIGHEST ranked offense you've faced was ranked 28th, and you allowed 15 points. If you were as good as TCU, you should have shut them out. Hell, you let the Citadel score 19 on you. Where was that "better than TCU" defense then?

As to TX and OU games, I did watch them, but admittedly not closely. But so what? Points are points. So are you saying those were abberations? You have done what analysis? So you watch the games, conclude that won't happen again by supposition, and the burden is upon me to disprove your case why OU won't give up 40 again to another top ranked offense?

Nope. Yet again, if you would READ the argument, you would clearly see that I stated what FU would have to do in order to win the MNC, based on what I saw as key points in games that OU played...including the OU/TX game. I said nothing about OU holding FU under 40.

As to turnovers, you are the one who went on the big diatribe about turnovers, and OU's greatness. I am merely pointing out by statistics that UF is at least as good or better than OU in that dept. Now I will agree that if either side turns it over more than the other, that team probably loses, and anything can happen on any given day (ala Ole Miss)

Where did I go on about OU's greatness? I stated a fact - OU is great on offense. I used examples, choosing TCU because they were a good non-conference foe, so that troll such as yourself couldn't use that to say, "well that's cuz the defenses in the Big 12 suck". Unfortunately I didn't calculate that you're all SEC fans and you think the NFL sucks at defense.

But also, a key aspect to accuracy is not throwing it to the other team. Tebow has only thrown 2 pics this year, compared to 7 for McCoy.

McCoy IS more accurate than Bradford, per the statistics. But where did THIS argument come from? Yards per attempt has nothing to do with my argument, and nothing to do with this conversation. So now you're saying that because of yards per completion, FU will win against OU?

Who is the one now that is taking random individual pieces of information and using that to say who is the better team, rather than viewing things as a whole? That's right, you're stuffed by your own statement in another thread. My argument was gathered as a whole from what's happened on the season.

Here's the rub, though. YOU ARE THE ONE GETTING OFFENDED ABOUT TEBOW. I said nothing disrespectful of him. Go back, yet again, and read my post. No, wait. I'll put it in BOLD here for you, so you can single it out. Try and pay attention, I know it's difficult.

And I'm not convinced that Tebow has that kind of accuracy. I'm absolutely certain that Tebow can make things happen, and UF certainly has playmakers that UT doesn't have....If UF is forced to take to the air, then it all comes down to Tebow and his accuracy.

WHERE, please, did I say that Tebow was inaccurate? No, I said that I'm not convinced he's that accurate, but I also qualified my opinion of FU earlier by stating that I'm viewing this from an OU perspective, that I can't go into details about every FU game. I was only saying that I haven't seen the kind of accuracy that I saw out of McCoy that afternoon, and that I'm not sure that Tebow could duplicate it. Why are you taking offense to that statement? Are YOU worried about Tebow's accuracy?

Who, seriously, is the trolling flamer here? All I've done is state the truth. It's not my fault that you can't read any of my posts completely, or that you can't comprehend them. It's not my fault that you can't use facts or statistics to contradict my points, instead using stupid phrases like, "Well, they're not FU".

One last thing, since you're incapable of reading more than 3 sentences and understanding them at the same time. Notice the last sentence of the entire post:

Right there I gave FU more credit than any of you or your troll friends ever have given OU. I've never disparaged FU, only its fans who choose to come over here and tell us all how fast their team is. FU is a great team. I personally think OU will win the game, but that's certainly not disparaging FU at all.

I do, however, make fun of punks like yourself, who come over here expecting us to bow down to all that is Florida by citing track speed times and blathering on about SEC greatness. Not a single one of you has talked football, nor have you ever PROVEN a point. You are all flaming trolls and therefore I will mock your pathetic boasting all day long. If you want to call that "flaming", fine. Feel free to pout about it.

Look, L-Boy. I've got nothing against you. So you can't read or comprehend worth a darn. There are plenty of others out there just like you. Where you've gone wrong is that you think the world revolves around FU, and you've come here to state your case. Unfortunately, you and your friends didn't come prepared. You came here hoping that you could simply say, "FU is faster than OU", and "the SEC is the awesomest conference and the Big 12 doesn't play defense", and we'd all cheerily agree with you.

Instead, you've made a mockery of yourselves and we have entire threads dedicated to making fun of you. I feel sorry for you, I truly do. But I simply can't beat you down hard enough for you to understand that if you want to convince anyone of anything, you have to bring facts. Therefore, once this final post to you is complete, I will be adding you to my ignore list so that I no longer have to put up with your ignorant drivel and I can happily go on chatting about FOOTBALL with my fellow Sooners.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/26/2008, 12:59 AM
egads man, what's with casting summon wall of text?

Desert Sapper
12/26/2008, 01:15 AM
Fo shizzle. That's minutes of my life I'll never get back. Get a room, you two.

cheezyq
12/26/2008, 02:01 AM
Yeah, I let the ****er get to me, but I'm done with that now. :)

starclassic tama
12/26/2008, 02:22 AM
oklahoma: 3rd in the nation in sacks
florida: 33rd

big advantage for OU

L-Boy
12/26/2008, 01:05 PM
Where did I "flame"? I just pointed out that you said nothing. You didn't prove anything. I'm waiting for an argument from you that includes facts or statistics that proves anything I said was wrong.

Yes you ARE arguing that they're not a good defense. Otherwise you wouldn't try to disregard my point. And where are these "statistics" that say that FU is better than TCU on defense??? TCU is ranked #2 behind USC in defense. Frail case? All TCU has done is face the #1, #12, #15, and #19th ranked offenses in the country, proceeded to hold up as the #2 ranked defense overall, while allowing 3 of those offenses to score only 16, 13, and 7 points, respectively.

What has FLORIDA done? The HIGHEST ranked offense you've faced was ranked 28th, and you allowed 15 points. If you were as good as TCU, you should have shut them out. Hell, you let the Citadel score 19 on you. Where was that "better than TCU" defense then?

Nope. Yet again, if you would READ the argument, you would clearly see that I stated what FU would have to do in order to win the MNC, based on what I saw as key points in games that OU played...including the OU/TX game. I said nothing about OU holding FU under 40.

Where did I go on about OU's greatness? I stated a fact - OU is great on offense. I used examples, choosing TCU because they were a good non-conference foe, so that troll such as yourself couldn't use that to say, "well that's cuz the defenses in the Big 12 suck". Unfortunately I didn't calculate that you're all SEC fans and you think the NFL sucks at defense.

McCoy IS more accurate than Bradford, per the statistics. But where did THIS argument come from? Yards per attempt has nothing to do with my argument, and nothing to do with this conversation. So now you're saying that because of yards per completion, FU will win against OU?

Who is the one now that is taking random individual pieces of information and using that to say who is the better team, rather than viewing things as a whole? That's right, you're stuffed by your own statement in another thread. My argument was gathered as a whole from what's happened on the season.

Here's the rub, though. YOU ARE THE ONE GETTING OFFENDED ABOUT TEBOW. I said nothing disrespectful of him. Go back, yet again, and read my post. No, wait. I'll put it in BOLD here for you, so you can single it out. Try and pay attention, I know it's difficult.

And I'm not convinced that Tebow has that kind of accuracy. I'm absolutely certain that Tebow can make things happen, and UF certainly has playmakers that UT doesn't have....If UF is forced to take to the air, then it all comes down to Tebow and his accuracy.

WHERE, please, did I say that Tebow was inaccurate? No, I said that I'm not convinced he's that accurate, but I also qualified my opinion of FU earlier by stating that I'm viewing this from an OU perspective, that I can't go into details about every FU game. I was only saying that I haven't seen the kind of accuracy that I saw out of McCoy that afternoon, and that I'm not sure that Tebow could duplicate it. Why are you taking offense to that statement? Are YOU worried about Tebow's accuracy?

Who, seriously, is the trolling flamer here? All I've done is state the truth. It's not my fault that you can't read any of my posts completely, or that you can't comprehend them. It's not my fault that you can't use facts or statistics to contradict my points, instead using stupid phrases like, "Well, they're not FU".

One last thing, since you're incapable of reading more than 3 sentences and understanding them at the same time. Notice the last sentence of the entire post:

Right there I gave FU more credit than any of you or your troll friends ever have given OU. I've never disparaged FU, only its fans who choose to come over here and tell us all how fast their team is. FU is a great team. I personally think OU will win the game, but that's certainly not disparaging FU at all.

I do, however, make fun of punks like yourself, who come over here expecting us to bow down to all that is Florida by citing track speed times and blathering on about SEC greatness. Not a single one of you has talked football, nor have you ever PROVEN a point. You are all flaming trolls and therefore I will mock your pathetic boasting all day long. If you want to call that "flaming", fine. Feel free to pout about it.

Look, L-Boy. I've got nothing against you. So you can't read or comprehend worth a darn. There are plenty of others out there just like you. Where you've gone wrong is that you think the world revolves around FU, and you've come here to state your case. Unfortunately, you and your friends didn't come prepared. You came here hoping that you could simply say, "FU is faster than OU", and "the SEC is the awesomest conference and the Big 12 doesn't play defense", and we'd all cheerily agree with you.

Instead, you've made a mockery of yourselves and we have entire threads dedicated to making fun of you. I feel sorry for you, I truly do. But I simply can't beat you down hard enough for you to understand that if you want to convince anyone of anything, you have to bring facts. Therefore, once this final post to you is complete, I will be adding you to my ignore list so that I no longer have to put up with your ignorant drivel and I can happily go on chatting about FOOTBALL with my fellow Sooners.

Its too bad that this is the only way you think you can argue your case. I enjoy logical discussions and debate, and am intestered in getting different perspectives, but typically when people start this type of chest thumping it means they have exhausted their intellectual resources and have to result to childish name calling. But its yOUr :rolleyes: board, so do what you want.

L-Boy
12/26/2008, 01:07 PM
Well, you had made the comment on some Sooner seniors not being focused on the game. That got my attention then. Since, it has become a recurring problem w focus. I'm hoping we're past that issue now.

I will agree with you, IF UF loses the turnover battle and lets OU run for 175, UF loses.