PDA

View Full Version : I found a way to get rid of the gator posters

adoniijahsooner
12/21/2008, 01:11 PM
Start talking what it really takes to win a football game. You know? blocking, tackling, pulling offensive lineman, smart quarterback play, good coaching, and other details that go into winning a national title. If you do this, I can promise every sooner post will be followed by a gator being :confused: . You cannot, I repeat you cannot continue to talk speed, for you will lose every argument. Cults are well versed in their area of expertise, and the "speed cult" can talk you under the table when it comes to how fast you can go somewhere when you move your legs as quickly as you can. Oh yeah, also stay away from conference affiliation, because that's another argument that we cannot win. Let me begin the repellent. We have success on offense, because of the collective effort of all 11 guys doing their job unselfishly for the team; not because we are fast. General statement, but it ought to get rid of at least one of them.

L-Boy
12/21/2008, 01:19 PM
Start talking what it really takes to win a football game. You know? blocking, tackling, pulling offensive lineman, smart quarterback play, good coaching, and other details that go into winning a national title. If you do this, I can promise every sooner post will be followed by a gator being :confused: . You cannot, I repeat you cannot continue to talk speed, for you will lose every argument. Cults are well versed in their area of expertise, and the "speed cult" can talk you under the table when it comes to how fast you can go somewhere when you move your legs as quickly as you can. Oh yeah, also stay away from conference affiliation, because that's another argument that we cannot win. Let me begin the repellent. We have success on offense, because of the collective effort of all 11 guys doing their job unselfishly for the team; not because we are fast. General statement, but it ought to get rid of at least one of them.

Not this one. :D

So let me see if I can figure out. To play the football, you have block, and tackle and pull offensive lineman? Pull them where? Not that be a penaltie? Pull there fingers? Indeed this be so confuzing.

adoniijahsooner
12/21/2008, 01:23 PM
That this one. :D

So let me see if I can figure out. To play the football, you have block, and tackle and pull offensive lineman? Pull them where? Not that be a penaltie? Pull there fingers? Indeed this be so confuzing.

Sometimes we pull our lineman to the opposite of where they were lined up, in order to create mismatch on a run play. If Duke Robinson is pulled to the right side, more than likely he'll end up taking on a linebacker, and often times the poor linebacker has no chance to win this football matchup. We do alot of pulling with our lineman.

L-Boy
12/21/2008, 01:33 PM
Sometimes we pull our lineman to the opposite of where they were lined up, in order to create mismatch on a run play. If Duke Robinson is pulled to the right side, more than likely he'll end up taking on a linebacker, and often times the poor linebacker has no chance to win this football matchup. We do alot of pulling with our lineman.

Really, the O lineman go the opposite way of the runner or QB?? Who knew??!!! I bet OK is the ONLY program program in the country that has ever thought of such a thing. Oh that wacky Stoops and company!!!

SeaCay
12/21/2008, 01:37 PM

How old are you?

tommieharris91
12/21/2008, 01:39 PM
One of their best plays is a counter with Harvin getting the carry. This play features, among other things... a pulling guard. :eek:

They also tackle pretty well and have a smart head coach in Meyer.

L-Boy
12/21/2008, 01:44 PM
One of their best plays is a counter with Harvin getting the carry. This play features, among other things... a pulling guard. :eek:

They also tackle pretty well and have a smart head coach in Meyer.

Oh, stop, please!!! ;) :D

fadada1
12/21/2008, 01:51 PM
harvin is so fast he doesn't need blockers. he's so fast our guys only have to two-hand-touch him for a tackle - just to be fair.

cheezyq
12/21/2008, 01:52 PM

I already tried that, extensively. That's why I resorted to this:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127221

If there's one thing Gator fans are, it's stubborn. To them, the important stuff doesn't matter. What matters is track speed and bench press numbers.

Partial Qualifier
12/21/2008, 01:52 PM
Why in the world would I want them to leave? I enjoy their takes and appreciate their presence. It's nice to have them as guests over here -- especially compared to many other teams' fans, these guys are freakin' awesome.

They've been received poorly by some of you because you insist on backlashing them with your frustration re: the national media's love affair with Tim Tebow. Who, despite his overblown deity status happens to be a damn good football player.

Cue the grade school one-liners about St. Tebow, team speed and SEC dominance. :rolleyes:

:D

SeaCay
12/21/2008, 01:55 PM
Why in the world would I want them to leave? I enjoy their takes and appreciate their presence. It's nice to have them as guests over here -- especially compared to many other teams' fans, these guys are freakin' awesome.

They've been received poorly by some of you because you insist on backlashing them with your frustration re: the national media's love affair with Tim Tebow. Who, despite his overblown deity status happens to be a damn good football player.

Cue the grade school one-liners about St. Tebow, team speed and SEC dominance. :rolleyes:

More signs of intelligence.

Circle City Gator
12/21/2008, 01:56 PM

Can we talk about blocking, pulling offensive linemen, AND speed? Or will that confuse you?

Here, let me narrate This video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9jsSUWNW0E):

The first play is a reverse to Harvin. Watch the tight end, Hernandez, come back and block the lineback to break him free. Then watch the WR blocking down field. See, I talked about blocking. I'm not confused at all.

On the next play, Harving goes into motion, gets the hand-off then turns toward the line. The center, and left guard block right, while the right guard pulls left and takes on the defensive end. The left tackle goes deeper and blocks the linebacker. Note the SPEED of Harvin's first step, as he jets through the opening. Wow, I talked about blocking, pulling guards, AND speed, and I'm still not confused.

On the next play the H-back blocks the end and the other running back leads through the hole.

The next play is similar to play number two, but not exactly the same. The right guard pulled and took out the defensive end. The fullback led through the hole, and really only got a brush-block, but Harvin's SPEED makes it enough. Again, the right guard pulled, and I'm not confused. Also note the down-field blocking by the WR. Also, and I know this is about SPEED, which you think is meaningless in a football, game, but watch Harvin split defenders in front of him and with what appear to be decent angles. That happens because of SPEED.

In the last play the other RB and the tight end blocked outside, but the linebacker read the play. He not QUITE right in front of Harvin, but looked to have plenty of lead and loaded for the big hit. Watch what SPEED does to a very good linebacker, as Harvin blows right by him for another seven yards.

I'm sorry if all this talk about SPEED makes you think we Gators can't talk about football. You see, we are under the silly impression that when you get good blocking, good coaching, and good play-calling, SPEED helps. But yeah, we can talk about those other things, too. In fact, I just did

gatorsownu2
12/21/2008, 02:01 PM

Smart, besides what fun would this board be without us?

P3 Gator
12/21/2008, 02:04 PM

Yes, we do all those things too. In fact, we also do stunts on DEFENSE. You guys remember what defense is...Stoops used to be pretty good at coaching it. Just ask John Parker Wilson about what defense looks like. He had a face full of it on 12/6. Hmm, I wonder how on offense, Rainey, Demps, Harvin and Moody all had such good YPC averages? Could it be blocking, pulling linemen and mis-direction? I don't know, I'm just a confused Gator fan. Please help a brother out and you tell me how 4 ball carriers on the same team could have such good stats?

Bama's knock against UF before the game was that we were all speed and no toughness. The guy sitting two seats down from me at the SECCG kept telling me how they were going to wear us down and that Tebow would be too sore by the fourth quarter to be effective. Two long touchdown drives and 1 yard total offense for Bama in the 4th quarter proved him wrong...stand-by folks, it's going to be a very hard fought and physical game.

O line:
Pouncey twins - 6-5 312
Phil Trautwein - 6-6 310
Carl Johnson 6-6 330
Jason Watkins 6-6 310

Harvin - 8.8 ypc
Demps - 8.4 ypc
Rainey - 7.9 ypc
Moody - 7.3 ypc

Average ypc = 8.1

I think the line knows how to block, pull, etc. So. what am I missing here?

:confused:

L-Boy
12/21/2008, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the props!! Likewise, I find it more enjoybable going back and forth with somebody that has a different perspective. Listening to a bunch of homers on Gator boards say how great we are gets old. Plus, one can get tired of the Pro Spurrier vs Anti Spurrier threads, the Leak vs Tebow theads, and finally who is going to be our next OC (insert name of some former Gator QB :rolleyes: )

TXBOOMER
12/21/2008, 02:17 PM
[QUOTE=Circle City Gator;2535980]Here, let me narrate This video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9jsSUWNW0E):

Hey CCG would you please send a link that is not Harvin carrying the ball. He is so fast I couldn't actually see him running with the ball.

TXBOOMER
12/21/2008, 02:20 PM
[QUOTE=L-Boy;2535991] Plus, one can get tired of the Pro Spurrier vs Anti Spurrier threads,

Now you guys like the old ball coach don't you?

gatorsownu2
12/21/2008, 02:22 PM
[QUOTE=Circle City Gator;2535980]Here, let me narrate This video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9jsSUWNW0E):

Hey CCG would you please send a link that is not Harvin carrying the ball. He is so fast I couldn't actually see him running with the ball.

Why? He is a BIG part of our offense. Thats why FSU fans cheered when he got hurt against them. It gave them a false sense of hope. Imagine what we could have done to then #1 BAMA with him?

Circle City Gator
12/21/2008, 02:31 PM

Watch this, I'll do it again, with this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76svEzKoRXg):

On the first play on the video, the guard pulls and takes on the DE, while the fullback leads Tebow through the line. Tebow, the slow guy, remember?, well, watch him go through the hole. Then watch what he does after first contact.

The second play is an interception return, so let's skip it.

On the third play, watch the safety bite on the quick turn, while the outside guy runs free. Tebow saw it right away and hit the perfect strike for a TD. Good recognition for a "glorified fullback," eh?

A play or two later, near the goal line, Tebow starts to run left. He is such a big running threat that the defense has to converge. 6 points.

Okay, watch the play that starts at 3:22. I'm going to talk about blocking and SPEED. It start as an option play, Tebow running left, Demps on his left shoulder. The right guard pulls, the DE is left alone and picks Tebow, and the WR is blocking the strong safety. Tebow makes the pitch and Demps has a huge hole to run through, because of the guard and WR. His SPEED helps turn upfield and get through the hole. He also gets extra yards because of his SPEED, getting past the linebacker to his right.

At 3:35 our own Heisman Trophy winner shows that he really can throw the ball, but just ignore it. Your guy is the only one in the game who can pass.

Watch slow Tim Tebow outrun the LSU linebacker at 3:42. It happened because the play was a counter, the entire line blocked right, and Tebow had one guy to outrun. You see, that play was set up by good coaching, good play-calling, and good blocking. Then some SPEED, this time from Tebow, made it work, since he had one guy to beat, and he beat him.

My favorite play, though, starts at 3:49. That's the first time I said "HOLY SH*T HE'S FAST" about Demps. I thought the playback skipped. Okay, let's talk blocking. Again, it's an option play. The up-front blocking is great, the guard pulls, the WR blocks on the safety, and the DE picks Tebow. Watch the SPEED with which Demps hits the hole. Then watch the SPEED with which he splits defenders that look to have good angles on him. You might also want to see how he sets up his blocker and cuts inside, in case you think he's just a track guy and not a football player. There is also one more good down-field block by a WR. See, we Gators notice blocking. We just think good blocking plus SPEED is better than good blocking without speed.

Speaking of SPEED, one of the best players you have is your tight end, and he is terrific. Our middle linebacker, Spikes, is going to have to play great ball to defend against passes in the middle. Watch what happens at 4:01 in the video. That's Spikes. He's getting an interception in the middle. Then he's running it back for a touchdown. Pretty fast guy for an MLB, eh? Oh yeah, you guys don't care about SPEED. Sorry.

At 4:25, another option, this time to the right. I know, it's just another SPEED guy, but wait, look at the cuts, look at the balance, look at the yards after contact. Maybe you can be fast AND a football player. Then, maybe blocking plus coaching plus play-calling plus SPEED is better than blocking plus coaching plus play-calling with less SPEED. Watchathink?

Speaking of SPEED, watch the sack at 4:34. It speaks for itself.

I'm perfectly happy to talk football. Talking about it won't drive me away. Sorry.

AlbqSooner
12/21/2008, 02:32 PM
gatorsownu2 - if you get tired of this and decide to leave, just don't take the avatar with you.

Circle City Gator
12/21/2008, 02:34 PM

I did. Unfortunately for you, it is of DEMPS carrying the ball, and he's faster. Seriously, though, watch the Demps carry I talked about in the second video narration. Now tell me we can't block or that speed doesn't matter.

delhalew
12/21/2008, 02:40 PM
I dont know guys, that Harvin fellow looked pretty fast. Maybe should just stay home.;)
In all seriousness, thanks for the link CCG. I haven't seen the So carolina game. Feel free to post as many of those as you like. Saves me the trouble of hunting them down.

CK Sooner
12/21/2008, 02:51 PM
More signs of intelligence.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/tannerholmes/1218468017_simple_jack.jpg

delhalew
12/21/2008, 02:55 PM
I saw Tebow through another awful pass in that second vid. Its doubtful, FL will get ahold of that if it our secondary Tebow starts passing to.

P3 Gator
12/21/2008, 02:56 PM

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/tannerholmes/1218468017_simple_jack.jpg

Never go full retard...

adoniijahsooner
12/21/2008, 03:46 PM
Never go full retard...

I love full retard. You guys act like I am being unreasonable or something; but every damn thread about Florida, leads to some gator talking about how fast demps, harvin, or rainey are. includes sam Bradfprd getting rattled, and "blah, blah, blah, blah, our block head quarterback can run over your d-line". Please fellows, of course any aggie could understand that you guys leaving us would not be as fun; but I just wanted to know more about what you guys do as team, and not how fast you are. But like any cult, if you beat them down with logic they go to name calling and try to raise suspicion about the person who disagrees. Okay, I am convinced your faster than us, so can I now have my mental health back?

P3 Gator
12/21/2008, 04:02 PM
OK, I said nothing about speed in this post, so I'll quote it here for you. This is about offensive line play making ridiculous YPC averages possible. If just one guy had numbers like this, you'd think it was one outstanding running back. But, when 4 RBs have these numbers, it's about what's happening up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoniijahsooner View Post

Yes, we do all those things too. In fact, we also do stunts on DEFENSE. You guys remember what defense is...Stoops used to be pretty good at coaching it. Just ask John Parker Wilson about what defense looks like. He had a face full of it on 12/6. Hmm, I wonder how on offense, Rainey, Demps, Harvin and Moody all had such good YPC averages? Could it be blocking, pulling linemen and mis-direction? I don't know, I'm just a confused Gator fan. Please help a brother out and you tell me how 4 ball carriers on the same team could have such good stats?

Bama's knock against UF before the game was that we were all speed and no toughness. The guy sitting two seats down from me at the SECCG kept telling me how they were going to wear us down and that Tebow would be too sore by the fourth quarter to be effective. Two long touchdown drives and 1 yard total offense for Bama in the 4th quarter proved him wrong...stand-by folks, it's going to be a very hard fought and physical game.

O line:
Pouncey twins - 6-5 312
Phil Trautwein - 6-6 310
Carl Johnson 6-6 330
Jason Watkins 6-6 310

Harvin - 8.8 ypc
Demps - 8.4 ypc
Rainey - 7.9 ypc
Moody - 7.3 ypc

Average ypc = 8.1

I think the line knows how to block, pull, etc. So. what am I missing here?

delhalew
12/21/2008, 04:14 PM
I want some damn answers. All through these posts I have been asking Gator fans to account for possible matchup problems. All MOST of you wana do is talk speed and have these stupid ****ing arguments.

I wanna know what you really think Meyer will do about our offense. I wanna know what happens Tebow throws a pass that looks like a turkey shot out of the sky. I wanna know what you think about the turnover issue( that will be an issue). I wanna have a real freakin' discussion.

Curly Bill
12/21/2008, 04:18 PM
The reason all they talk about is 40 times and track accomplishments is that outside Tebow who on the gators has any real football accomplishments to talk about. I think it's great for us that most of the gators skill guys best athletic accomplishments involve a sport other then football.

Bruiser53
12/21/2008, 04:26 PM
Florida = swamp aggie

adoniijahsooner
12/21/2008, 04:26 PM
OK, I said nothing about speed in this post, so I'll quote it here for you. This is about offensive line play making ridiculous YPC averages possible. If just one guy had numbers like this, you'd think it was one outstanding running back. But, when 4 RBs have these numbers, it's about what's happening up front.

The line pulling quote was just a joke. The whole thread was supposed to get conversations started about the real matchup problems that exist in the game. Saying, that Alabama has All-Americans on the O-line has nothing to do with how well our play, and how agile and prolific these guys are at run blocking and pass blocking. There is the potential to be a mismatch with our defensive front seven speed and your o-line, because Travis Lewis, Keenan Clayton, Jeremy Beal, Frank Alexander, Gerald McCoy are excellent players, who could disrupt things in the backfield before they get started. The only potential problem I see for us is with your kick return game, and that is it. I have watched your D play against alabama, and I was not impressed.

Circle City Gator
12/21/2008, 04:44 PM
I want some damn answers. All through these posts I have been asking Gator fans to account for possible matchup problems. All MOST of you wana do is talk speed and have these stupid ****ing arguments.

I wanna know what you really think Meyer will do about our offense. I wanna know what happens Tebow throws a pass that looks like a turkey shot out of the sky. I wanna know what you think about the turnover issue( that will be an issue). I wanna have a real freakin' discussion.

Several Gators, including myself, have answered these questions many times.

What will we do about your offense? First, and always, stop the run. Yes, I know you can "set up the run with the pass." Believe it or not, we Gators are more than a little familiar with the concept, having seen it first-hand during the Spurrier years. Stopping the run still comes first. After that, we are going to need GREAT corner play to give the speed defensive ends the extra second they need to reach Bradford. If the cover can't give the extra second, or the ends can't get there in that extra second we have a hard time for sure. As for your tight end, he is great, but I actually believe our LBs have the speed to keep up with him.

Tebows passes sometimes wobble, but you underestimate his strength and accuracy if you think that means too much. For some reason I don't understnd, a lot of leftys throw wobbly balls, but he is accurate and has a big arm. The answer to your question, though, is the same answer to what happens if any quarterback, including Bradford (and yes, even he is capable of throwing a bad pass, he has 3x the interceptions of Tebow)- it might get intercepted.

Turnovers? The two teams lead the nation in turnover ratio. That can go either way and might decide the game. We only lost 2 interceptions all year, and caught a bunch of them. You lost six, but caught a bunch, too. We fumbled a few, but not too many. Ditto you. My personal opinion is that you are more likely to lose an interception that we are this time around, just because you throw more. Could be the game-changer either way.

Now, your turn. What are you going to do about special teams, particularly with Murray gone. How are you going to keep enough in the box to stop Tebow, Harvin, Demps, and Rainey from getting going, while keeping enough guys in coverage to stop Cooper, Murphy, Hernandez, and Harvin/Demps/Rainey when they line up or shift to a WR position? Is your third string midde linebacker, starting because of injuries, the key to this game? If it comes down to kickers, can you win?

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/21/2008, 05:36 PM
Not this one. :D

Not that be a penaltie? Pull there fingers? Indeed this be so confuzing.

Someone needs some more middle school English.:D

delhalew
12/21/2008, 05:41 PM
Several Gators, including myself, have answered these questions many times.

What will we do about your offense? First, and always, stop the run. Yes, I know you can "set up the run with the pass." Believe it or not, we Gators are more than a little familiar with the concept, having seen it first-hand during the Spurrier years. Stopping the run still comes first. After that, we are going to need GREAT corner play to give the speed defensive ends the extra second they need to reach Bradford. If the cover can't give the extra second, or the ends can't get there in that extra second we have a hard time for sure. As for your tight end, he is great, but I actually believe our LBs have the speed to keep up with him.

Tebows passes sometimes wobble, but you underestimate his strength and accuracy if you think that means too much. For some reason I don't understnd, a lot of leftys throw wobbly balls, but he is accurate and has a big arm. The answer to your question, though, is the same answer to what happens if any quarterback, including Bradford (and yes, even he is capable of throwing a bad pass, he has 3x the interceptions of Tebow)- it might get intercepted.

Turnovers? The two teams lead the nation in turnover ratio. That can go either way and might decide the game. We only lost 2 interceptions all year, and caught a bunch of them. You lost six, but caught a bunch, too. We fumbled a few, but not too many. Ditto you. My personal opinion is that you are more likely to lose an interception that we are this time around, just because you throw more. Could be the game-changer either way.

Now, your turn. What are you going to do about special teams, particularly with Murray gone. How are you going to keep enough in the box to stop Tebow, Harvin, Demps, and Rainey from getting going, while keeping enough guys in coverage to stop Cooper, Murphy, Hernandez, and Harvin/Demps/Rainey when they line up or shift to a WR position? Is your third string midde linebacker, starting because of injuries, the key to this game? If it comes down to kickers, can you win?

I'll start at the end. If it comes down to kickers...we're boned. Everyone will tell you special teams is the chink in our armor. That said, Broyles is very shifty and has the speed. I don't know if they will continue to use Iggy.

Were we will lose the field position battle is stopping your runbacks. We sometimes have short kicks. If things are going well our kicker be busy...not a great side effect, but we'll have to live with it. Our punter comes up short, but if we're punting we have bigger problems.

On defense, I believe we can penetrate whilst only selling out occasionally. MIKE will be a team effort. I'm not sure if Box will be 100%. Regardless, our defense has really grown up in alot of ways. Some packages will feature a safety in the MIKE position. I know if Tebow cannot run at will you are in trouble. I will grant you that is a big if...The rest of the running crew will turn us up if we overcommit(something we have been guilty of). Can we keep fresh legs in there with Granger out? I don't know. If Tebow passes very often we will score an interception. This is not based on stats, rather on watching him throw. (Finding a Bradford INT that was not the result of a tipped ball, is like searching for the Yeti).

Granger will have you tearing out your hair. Maybe we can run, maybe we have to dump it off. Obviously we would like to keep a good 50/50 balance. Lots of people say it...we do it. As do the Gators.

Obviously we have a lot riding on your defense being caught of guard often. You prolly think that won't happen, but you would not be alone. So far everyone has been wrong. Even Texas.

Thank you for placating me.

SoonerShark
12/21/2008, 05:47 PM
Can we talk about blocking, pulling offensive linemen, AND speed? Or will that confuse you?

Here, let me narrate This video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9jsSUWNW0E):

The first play is a reverse to Harvin. Watch the tight end, Hernandez, come back and block the lineback to break him free. Then watch the WR blocking down field. See, I talked about blocking. I'm not confused at all.

On the next play, Harving goes into motion, gets the hand-off then turns toward the line. The center, and left guard block right, while the right guard pulls left and takes on the defensive end. The left tackle goes deeper and blocks the linebacker. Note the SPEED of Harvin's first step, as he jets through the opening. Wow, I talked about blocking, pulling guards, AND speed, and I'm still not confused.

On the next play the H-back blocks the end and the other running back leads through the hole.

The next play is similar to play number two, but not exactly the same. The right guard pulled and took out the defensive end. The fullback led through the hole, and really only got a brush-block, but Harvin's SPEED makes it enough. Again, the right guard pulled, and I'm not confused. Also note the down-field blocking by the WR. Also, and I know this is about SPEED, which you think is meaningless in a football, game, but watch Harvin split defenders in front of him and with what appear to be decent angles. That happens because of SPEED.

In the last play the other RB and the tight end blocked outside, but the linebacker read the play. He not QUITE right in front of Harvin, but looked to have plenty of lead and loaded for the big hit. Watch what SPEED does to a very good linebacker, as Harvin blows right by him for another seven yards.

I'm sorry if all this talk about SPEED makes you think we Gators can't talk about football. You see, we are under the silly impression that when you get good blocking, good coaching, and good play-calling, SPEED helps. But yeah, we can talk about those other things, too. In fact, I just did

In Florida it's speed in the north, cocaine in the south. Here, it's crystal meth.

P3 Gator
12/21/2008, 05:50 PM

Myer shuts the pass down up front and pressures Bradford. Spikes off the edge, stunts up the middle (see John Parker Wilson running backward a lot during the Bama game). UF has some very good corners (Janoris Jenkins will be All American) and Ahmad Black (safety) has six picks. OU is without it's best running back and UFs tackles have been very good at stuffing the run (UGA, LSU, Bama had one yard in the entire fourth quarter). How much pressure has Bradford seen all year?

As far as Tebows ducks:

YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RATE
2006 22 33 358 66.7 10.85 55 5 1 0 201.73
2007 234 350 3286 66.9 9.39 66 32 6 13 172.47
2008 174 268 2515 64.9 9.38 70 28 2 15 176.74

Call it a duck, call it a floater, call it whatever; what has OU's 57th ranked defense done this year to make you think you'll be any more effective than Bama (#3), Tennessess (#4), South Carolina (#12), FSU (#14), Miami (#25), Georgia (#28), LSU (#36), Kentucky (#37) couldn't do? These are VERY good numbers against defenses much better (statistically) than OU's for what you consider to be a poorly thrown ball.

UF's one loss was to the number 12 defense. So, 8 & 1 against defenses all ranked better than OU. What are you going to do to stop what much better defenses couldn't?

UF defense...#9.

Curly Bill
12/21/2008, 05:52 PM
We're gonna pray that Tebow has mercy on our poor souls.

delhalew
12/21/2008, 05:58 PM
Myer shuts the pass down up front and pressures Bradford. Spikes off the edge, stunts up the middle (see John Parker Wilson running backward a lot during the Bama game). UF has some very good corners (Janoris Jenkins will be All American) and Ahmad Black (safety) has six picks. OU is without it's best running back and UFs tackles have been very good at stuffing the run (UGA, LSU, Bama had one yard in the entire fourth quarter). How much pressure has Bradford seen all year?

As far as Tebows ducks:

YEAR CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RATE
2006 22 33 358 66.7 10.85 55 5 1 0 201.73
2007 234 350 3286 66.9 9.39 66 32 6 13 172.47
2008 174 268 2515 64.9 9.38 70 28 2 15 176.74

Call it a duck, call it a floater, call it whatever; what has OU's 57th ranked defense done this year to make you think you'll be any more effective than Bama (#3), Tennessess (#4), South Carolina (#12), FSU (#14), Miami (#25), Georgia (#28), LSU (#36), Kentucky (#37) couldn't do? These are VERY good numbers against defenses much better (statistically) than OU's for what you consider to be a poorly thrown ball.

UF's one loss was to the number 12 defense. So, 8 & 1 against defenses all ranked better than OU. What are you going to do to stop what much better defenses couldn't?

UF defense...#9.

Sorry, but these stats have hashed and rehashed and I now find them useless. I have resorted to watch the Gators play. Sounds crazy, I know. Unless we to some degree let go of the stats then I'm gonna end up saying...You are about to see what has been giving all of the "weak" defenses fits all year. The same circular debate.

Circle City Gator
12/21/2008, 06:03 PM
I'll start at the end. If it comes down to kickers...we're boned. Everyone will tell you special teams is the chink in our armor. That said, Broyles is very shifty and has the speed. I don't know if they will continue to use Iggy.

Were we will lose the field position battle is stopping your runbacks. We sometimes have short kicks. If things are going well our kicker be busy...not a great side effect, but we'll have to live with it. Our punter comes up short, but if we're punting we have bigger problems.

On defense, I believe we can penetrate whilst only selling out occasionally. MIKE will be a team effort. I'm not sure if Box will be 100%. Regardless, our defense has really grown up in alot of ways. Some packages will feature a safety in the MIKE position. I know if Tebow cannot run at will you are in trouble. I will grant you that is a big if...The rest of the running crew will turn us up if we overcommit(something we have been guilty of). Can we keep fresh legs in there with Granger out? I don't know. If Tebow passes very often we will score an interception. This is not based on stats, rather on watching him throw. (Finding a Bradford INT that was not the result of a tipped ball, is like searching for the Yeti).

Granger will have you tearing out your hair. Maybe we can run, maybe we have to dump it off. Obviously we would like to keep a good 50/50 balance. Lots of people say it...we do it. As do the Gators.

Obviously we have a lot riding on your defense being caught of guard often. You prolly think that won't happen, but you would not be alone. So far everyone has been wrong. Even Texas.

Thank you for placating me.

Our defense will get caught off guard sometimes- your offense is too good for that not to happen. The key when it happens will be tackle after the catch.

As for Tebow interceptions, he's thrown 2 all year. He threw six all year last year. Don't mistake a wobbly pass for a bad one. Lots of leftys throw wobbles for some reason. Tebow is accurate and does not throw many bad passes.

I really think this is shaping up to be a great game. The keys will be MLBs against the run, and whether corners on both teams can give the DEs an extra second to rush the passer.

P3 Gator
12/21/2008, 06:11 PM
Sorry, but these stats have hashed and rehashed and I now find them useless. I have resorted to watch the Gators play. Sounds crazy, I know. Unless we to some degree let go of the stats then I'm gonna end up saying...You are about to see what has been giving all of the "weak" defenses fits all year. The same circular debate.

I agree. I was responding to a comment about Tebow throwing passes that aren't "pretty". They might not be pretty, but you can't argue with results. The useless banter are the replies that aren't backed up by some kind of info; kind of like "Tebow throws and ugly pass, so he stinks." kind of stuff.

tommieharris91
The reason all they talk about is 40 times and track accomplishments is that outside Tebow who on the gators has any real football accomplishments to talk about. I think it's great for us that most of the gators skill guys best athletic accomplishments involve a sport other then football.

Rivals had Harvin as the #1 overall recruit in 2006.

delhalew
I don't mean to make it sound like I think Tebow is totally inept when it comes to passing. Its just that I've seen it all season. If it is not a bullet on a wire thrown with pinpoint accuracy...you can't keep Lendy Holmes off of it. Its not just him, but the guy jumps route like the ball was meant for him all along.

P3 Gator
12/21/2008, 06:37 PM

FSU didn't recruit Demps because they thought he was a track guy who also played football. Demps was a huge FSU fan growing up. He has an 8.4 yd/attempt average as a freshman for UF. In fact, he's a guy who loves football who also runs track. Don't make that same mistake.

adoniijahsooner
12/21/2008, 06:51 PM
FSU didn't recruit Demps because they thought he was a track guy who also played football. Demps was a huge FSU fan growing up. He has an 8.4 yd/attempt average as a freshman for UF. In fact, he's a guy who loves football who also runs track. Don't make that same mistake.

How are your running backs at picking up the blitz, and does Florida run alot of screens and draws? I believe the conversation begins and ends with the trenches, and I don't think you guys can deal with our D-line or O-line. Even the SEC apologist's Kirk Herbstreit says that we have an SEC defensive line. Those guys are great at attacking the QB, and your offense, from what I see does some misdirection in the backfield, right? Well, if we penetrate, Tebow and company may have to play us straight up without all of the motion and misdirection, but we'll see.

Curly Bill
12/21/2008, 07:20 PM

...and he's put up huge numbers at U of F right?

...and the survery says: NO

Crucifax Autumn
12/21/2008, 07:24 PM
Hell, I kinda like thses guys being around. The time between the last game and the Bowl always seems like a big sit-com to me and what sitcom doesn't have its wacky neighbor. Some of these guys are Kramer, some are Lenny & Squiggy, and some are that dude Wilson. The mix is kinda funny.

P3 Gator
12/21/2008, 07:25 PM
How are your running backs at picking up the blitz, and does Florida run alot of screens and draws? I believe the conversation begins and ends with the trenches, and I don't think you guys can deal with our D-line or O-line. Even the SEC apologist's Kirk Herbstreit says that we have an SEC defensive line. Those guys are great at attacking the QB, and your offense, from what I see does some misdirection in the backfield, right? Well, if we penetrate, Tebow and company may have to play us straight up without all of the motion and misdirection, but we'll see.

Bama has two All Americans on their O line and JPW was throwing off his back foot a lot during the SECCG. They also have the #3 defense in the country and UF covered the 10 pt spread. Does OU have anybody on the D line that compares to Cody from Bama? He was not a big factor all night long against our O line.

bluedogok
12/21/2008, 07:26 PM

UF defense...#9.Big 12 pundits could say that look at where most of the Big 12 offenses are rated compared to the SEC offenses. Are the SEC offenses (outside of Florida) really that pathetic or did the defenses make them look that way and conversely are the Big 12 defenses really that pathetic or did the Big 12 offenses make it appear that way? All of those rankings don't really mean that much when there are 120 teams being classified and so few common opponents between them, with 32 teams you can somewhat correlate all of that in the NFL but you really can't at the college level. There are probably 5 offenses in the Big 12 better than anything the SEC can offer past Florida, facing those for than many games would more than likely bring the vaunted SEC defenses down in the rankings. Most of the SEC games that I have seen this season just had horrible offensive performances, too many inexperienced QB's that might be better next season whereas the Big 12 had so many veteran QB's this season probably factored in it much more than the strength/weakness of the defenses for both conferences.

When it comes down to it, the rankings don't mean crap and is nothing more than fodder. It will be decided on the field.

Curly Bill
12/21/2008, 07:28 PM
Bama has two All Americans on their O line and JPW was throwing off his back foot a lot during the SECCG. They also have the #3 defense in the country and UF covered the 10 pt spread. Does OU have anybody on the D line that compares to Cody from Bama? He was not a big factor all night long against our O line.

No, we put all of our lard asses on the offensive line.

...but we do have Gerald McCoy who would likely bend Cody's fat *** over and plant his foot right in it.

P3 Gator
12/21/2008, 07:28 PM

8.8 yards per carry...good 'nuff.

adoniijahsooner
12/21/2008, 07:29 PM

Gerald McCoy is pretty good, and he draws alot of double teams. Again, Bama's oline is good at run blocking and not pass blocking, but you'll see the difference on the 8th of Jan.

Curly Bill
12/21/2008, 07:31 PM
8.8 yards per carry...good 'nuff.

What has he played, like two games?

P3 Gator
12/21/2008, 07:32 PM
Big 12 pundits could say that look at where most of the Big 12 offenses are rated compared to the SEC offenses. Are the SEC offenses (outside of Florida) really that pathetic or did the defenses make them look that way and conversely are the Big 12 defenses really that pathetic or did the Big 12 offenses make it appear that way? All of those rankings don't really mean that much when there are 120 teams being classified and so few common opponents between them, with 32 teams you can somewhat correlate all of that in the NFL but you really can't at the college level. There are probably 5 offenses in the Big 12 better than anything the SEC can offer past Florida, facing those for than many games would more than likely bring the vaunted SEC defenses down in the rankings. Most of the SEC games that I have seen this season just had horrible offensive performances, too many inexperienced QB's that might be better next season whereas the Big 12 had so many veteran QB's this season probably factored in it much more than the strength/weakness of the defenses for both conferences.

When it comes down to it, the rankings don't mean crap and is nothing more than fodder. It will be decided on the field.

And that's what makes it all so fun...

P3 Gator
12/21/2008, 07:33 PM
What has he played, like two games?

Out for the first two games following off-season heal surgery. Missed the SECCG with a high-ankle sprain.

Curly Bill
12/21/2008, 07:35 PM
Out for the first two games following off-season heal surgery. Missed the SECCG with a high-ankle sprain.

I guess running faster then the speed of light is tough on the legs.

Crucifax Autumn
12/21/2008, 07:35 PM
So he's injury prone?

Curly Bill
12/21/2008, 07:37 PM
So he's injury prone?

..or a punanny. ;)

RedstickSooner
12/21/2008, 07:46 PM
I know a better way to get rid of the Gator fans:

Win in Miami.

Crucifax Autumn
12/21/2008, 07:50 PM
True enough...I'd be willing to bet only one or 2 will be back here after the game if we beat 'em.

L-Boy
12/21/2008, 08:03 PM

In 2007:

764 yds rushing, 9.2 yds per carry
858 yds receiving 14.5 yds per catch

1622 all purpose yds.

Yeah, he pretty much sucks, definitely not a "go to" guy.

Curly Bill
12/21/2008, 08:04 PM
In 2007:

764 yds rushing, 9.2 yds per carry
858 yds receiving 14.5 yds per catch

1622 all purpose yds.

Yeah, he pretty much sucks, definitely not a "go to" guy.

Color me not terribly impressed.

gatorsownu2
12/21/2008, 08:05 PM
Our work will be done here either way it goes, but it will have been fun while it lasted. It ought to be one heck of a game. You can predict the outcome all you want but nobody really has a clue how this game will unfold.

Curly Bill
12/21/2008, 08:06 PM
Our work will be done here either way it goes, but it will have been fun while it lasted. It ought to be one heck of a game. You can predict the outcome all you want but nobody really has a clue how this came will unfold.

Serious question: you ever meet Kelly Carrington for real?

Crucifax Autumn
12/21/2008, 08:09 PM
I had me some last night!

gatorsownu2
12/21/2008, 08:09 PM
What if I told you she's right here?

Curly Bill
12/21/2008, 08:11 PM
What if I told you she's right here?

I'd be impressed as hell!

Crucifax Autumn
12/21/2008, 08:17 PM
You'd think Tebow would be a bit nervous being around all those Florida Jews...

Wow..I really have no limits to my bad taste.

Piware
12/22/2008, 04:11 AM

Why didn't Tebow cut on his pee-pee and heal it? Or is that what the heal surgery was?

GG84
12/22/2008, 07:27 AM
Didn't read any other posts in this thread besides the first one, but here ya go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBBTz_XYXPQ

Watch real close Sooners, there is a nice combo of GATOR SPEEEEEEEEED, pulling olinemen, and great blocking. Oh, and all of it came against a defense much better than yours. (S-E-C!) :D

JGATOR
12/22/2008, 07:32 AM
I believe the most complete teams in both conferences will be meeting for the title. Florida has no obvious chink in there armour. Maybe kick-off coverage, which I hope we get to test alot. Special teams may be the chink in OU's armour.

I think both offenses will move the ball and score. This may be a "who has the ball last" kind of game. If that is the case, who will be held more to field goals? Both teams have been very good at getting TDs. UF has only attempted 12 field goals and made 11 of them.

I think football philosophy may hurt UF more than anything else. Myer is a field position coach in the Woody Hayes mold. Field position does not make a difference to OU.

If I'm OU, on offense I am attacking Major Wright #21 on defense (#21 on offense is Moody) because he frequently takes bad angles and would rather make the big hit than jump the route. If I'm UF I am attacking the Mike backer, there is no Mike backer in the country that matches up well with anything we can throw at them.

Big concern for me, as a Gator fan, is the UF D-Line. Not with quality but with quantity. Losing Patchen and Antwine is huge. Less rest for the others against a non-stop offense.

The big concern for OU will be getting off blocks and I am not just talking about your D-Linemen. You do not get on the field at UF unless you can block. That includes those little speedsters at RB picking up the blitz. They may be just a speed bump on occassion but that is all a good QB needs to get the ball away or get away themselves. UF has losts of yards after the catch and that is because of great downfield blocking.

I would be tempted to bring 5 at Bradford a lot and bring in our best run support DBs. I don't care how good OU's line is (and they are very good) this is a case where 5 on 5 is advantage to defense and if they leave a back in to block that takes a weapon away. If they line up Gresham (the tight end if I have the name right) I would crash him each play in the first quarter and then mix it up after that. I would also do my best to knock the snot out of the receivers coming off the line of scrimmage to try and throw off the timing in the passing game. Key is to keep as many people up as possible for run support and to crowd the passing lanes.

I think OU will need to play a base defense, not over-pursue, remember there assignments and have there best tackling game of the season. Tebow has already done his running damage for the game by what he has done to this point in his carreer. OU will have to account for him no matter what occurs in the course of the game. That may make his running numbers low but that will also open other things up.

In the end, if both teams play to there potential this should be a heck of a game in the 35-31 range. It could be higher if UF has quick drives, as oppossed to a big play early in a drive.

In any case, I can't wait for Jan 8th

G8trGr8t
12/22/2008, 01:07 PM
Talking football,

While watching some video of OU games, it seems that a lot of the quick slants run for Iglesias and others are passes beyond the line of scrimamge and yet he has blockers out in front of him when he catches the ball. There were several plays where the MLB is being engaged/blocked at the same time he catches the ball and he is definitely beyond the LOS. TT seemed to do that a lot too.

As I understand it, that is illegal man downfield but does not seem to get called in the Big XII games I have watched unless the receiver is 5 or more yards beyond the line of scrimmage.

Am I missing something here or are the Big 12 officials just letting this go?

I just learned that ACC refs will be calling this game. Not good for anybody.

delhalew
12/22/2008, 01:30 PM
ACC crew had a hell of a time with the Arizona vs Byu las vegas bowl. We have seen some awful stuff from our Big 12 crews, but these ACC guys were just lost. Seriously ****ing up the whole game.

HiFiGator
12/22/2008, 01:38 PM
Some of you have a tremendously over-inflated opinion of yourselves. Not that my being an assistant coach at the school that turned out such athletes as Chris Doering and Willie and Terry Jackson should mean anything amongst all of you dedicated armchair quarterbacks ...

SLOgator
12/22/2008, 06:14 PM
We'll do well against u guys, I mean, REALLY WELL, because we'll be preparing for the task at hand in 17 days, not constantly dwelling on past NC's, conf. c'ships, etc. I've never seen so many people living in the past as posters on this board. Kinda reminds me of Ohio State and their Heisman winner two years ago. I believe you'll give us a better game than they did, but the outcome will be the same. You think you'll win, we think that we'll win. Someone will be right...

adoniijahsooner
12/22/2008, 06:41 PM
We'll do well against u guys, I mean, REALLY WELL, because we'll be preparing for the task at hand in 17 days, not constantly dwelling on past NC's, conf. c'ships, etc. I've never seen so many people living in the past as posters on this board. Kinda reminds me of Ohio State and their Heisman winner two years ago. I believe you'll give us a better game than they did, but the outcome will be the same. You think you'll win, we think that we'll win. Someone will be right...

We are fans, we are entitled to live in the past and talk of yesteryears. Now if I heard Bob Stoops or Sam Bradford talking about what they did in last years Big 12 Championship, then I would be concerned.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/22/2008, 06:48 PM
The ball is complete before they get 5 yard down the field..the key is timing it perfectly

Talking football,

While watching some video of OU games, it seems that a lot of the quick slants run for Iglesias and others are passes beyond the line of scrimamge and yet he has blockers out in front of him when he catches the ball. There were several plays where the MLB is being engaged/blocked at the same time he catches the ball and he is definitely beyond the LOS. TT seemed to do that a lot too.

As I understand it, that is illegal man downfield but does not seem to get called in the Big XII games I have watched unless the receiver is 5 or more yards beyond the line of scrimmage.

Am I missing something here or are the Big 12 officials just letting this go?

I just learned that ACC refs will be calling this game. Not good for anybody.

Curly Bill
12/22/2008, 07:06 PM
Some of you have a tremendously over-inflated opinion of yourselves. Not that my being an assistant coach at the school that turned out such athletes as Chris Doering and Willie and Terry Jackson should mean anything amongst all of you dedicated armchair quarterbacks ...

YAWN!!!

JGATOR
12/22/2008, 07:11 PM

Ran across one of your players last night. Bag boy at Publix in Jonesville. I was wearing my assistant coaches jacket from a school only in it's 5th year but only the 2nd year having a team. He mentioned it and I asked if he was going to be going to my school and he told me where he played.

Do you like the new district you're in? If I recall correctly, you'll be in with North Florida Christian. They'll be tough.

catsigater
12/22/2008, 07:13 PM
We'll do well against u guys, I mean, REALLY WELL, because we'll be preparing for the task at hand in 17 days, not constantly dwelling on past NC's, conf. c'ships, etc. I've never seen so many people living in the past as posters on this board.

You win my first LOL on this board.

I'm ok with you saying "we'll do well," as if you're lining up on the field, 'cos I'm a fan and I do that too.

But WTH makes you think what the fans say (on or off message boards) is going to have any effect whatsoever with what happens on the field?

You'll do "REALLY WELL," because posters on this board dwell on the past?

Um, ok.

SLOgator
12/22/2008, 07:31 PM
^^^thanks, cat. If I need your opinion, I'll ask for it (If you want to take me on, I'll see you on gatorcountry). I guess that my point was/is that I've never seen so many people living off past glories as those on this board.

tulsaoilerfan
12/22/2008, 07:40 PM

The games i've seen Cody hasn't done jack; he's the Moe Dampeer of the SEC

G8trGr8t
12/22/2008, 07:57 PM
The ball is complete before they get 5 yard down the field..the key is timing it perfectly

Neutral zone is only 1 yards from LOS if I am correct so if they are engaging beyond 1 yard from the LOS before a pass is completed beyond the LOS, that should be penalized.

Piware
12/23/2008, 02:26 AM
Well, for the love of Pete, throw a flag, dish towel, sock - whatever ya got.
We will take our penalty right here!

Crucifax Autumn
12/23/2008, 02:49 AM
I think someone misread the explanation in the context of the rules. There's a reason we don't get penalties for that which was already clearly explained so I won't attempt to do it in less syllables.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/23/2008, 05:22 AM
Actually defenders can go as far as 3 yards out if they are going towards someone, the key is that once the ball passes the line of scrimmage, they are free to go wherever and most times OU and Tech do that within 2 or 3 seconds

G8trGr8t
12/23/2008, 11:56 AM
Actually defenders can go as far as 3 yards out if they are going towards someone, the key is that once the ball passes the line of scrimmage, they are free to go wherever and most times OU and Tech do that within 2 or 3 seconds

I take it you meant offensive blockers can go 3 yards but in your earlier post you indicated five yards.

Please read below and tell me how you can complete a pass beyond the LOS with an ineligible receiver blocking beyond 3 yards, and the contact with the defensive player has to occur within 1 yard of the LOS.

An OL cannot fire out and engage a LB 3 yards downfield if the pass goes beyond the LOS or it is illegal man downfield.

ARTICLE 10. No originally ineligible receiver shall be or have been beyond
the neutral zone until a legal forward pass that crosses the neutral zone has been
thrown (A.R. 7-3-10-I and II).

Exceptions:

1. When, after the snap, a Team A ineligible receiver immediately charges
and contacts an opponent at a point not more than one yard beyond the neutral zone and does not continue the contact more than three yards
beyond the neutral zone.

2. When contact that has driven an opponent not more than three yards
from the neutral zone is lost by a player who was ineligible at the snap,
he must remain stationary at that spot until the pass is thrown.

PENALTY—Five yards from the previous spot [S37].

From 2008 Rulebook

delhalew
12/23/2008, 12:10 PM
^^^thanks, cat. If I need your opinion, I'll ask for it (If you want to take me on, I'll see you on gatorcountry). I guess that my point was/is that I've never seen so many people living off past glories as those on this board.

Past, present, and future...buddy.

catsigater
12/23/2008, 12:19 PM
I guess that my point was/is that I've never seen so many people living off past glories as those on this board.

Bama comes to mind. OU has been very good to great for most of the past 10 years, bama has been mediocre. They've been feeding off the carcass of a dead Bear, and memories of Stallings.

G8trGr8t
12/23/2008, 01:28 PM
College football really has two different era's. One before the 85 scholarship limit and one after. In the old days, teams that could afford it could stockpile players just to prevent the other schools from getting them. It also allowed the bigger schools to just recruit everbody and see who could play when they got there. For that reason, championships won during those years were not as hard to attain as there were only a dozen or so schools that were serious competitors.

Since the sholarship limitations have been put in place, the playing field has been leveled somewhat and championships, IMHO, carry more weight when you are playing against a greater number of potentially equal adversaries.

That in no way diminishes past accomplishments but it does help put them in perspective. If you win a 10 team league, that is something to be proud of. If you win in a 40 team league, even more so.

HiFiGator
12/23/2008, 03:28 PM
Ran across one of your players last night. Bag boy at Publix in Jonesville. I was wearing my assistant coaches jacket from a school only in it's 5th year but only the 2nd year having a team. He mentioned it and I asked if he was going to be going to my school and he told me where he played.

Do you like the new district you're in? If I recall correctly, you'll be in with North Florida Christian. They'll be tough.

Unfortunately, I am no longer coaching with the Blue Waves. I wish Coach Clifford and staff all the best. They have been in a bit of a down cycle for the past couple of years, but as usual, he is forever the optimist.

In fairness, the run of talent for a 2A school (at the time) was just sick. In addition to Doering and the Jacksons, we had (in no particular order) Travis McGriff, Robert Baker, Johnny Ruttledge and the Latsons -- who went on to bigger fame on the hardwood.