PDA

View Full Version : Home & Home with Florida.....

Soonermagik
12/20/2008, 09:33 PM
I would love to see us schedule a home and home series. Both schools have great fans, always have good teams and would most likely give the winner a huge advantage in strength of schedule. Plus, the media spotlight would benefit both schools and create a lot of excitement for college football fans.

Oh.. and how have we never played one another??????

Regardless of the outcome in Miami, I really would love to see a series. :)

HungaryGator
12/20/2008, 09:41 PM
Most of us want to have one big game with an intersection opponent per year. The 12th game will allow us to start doing that again. We agreed to play scUM (Miami) this year but have told them we are not going to automatically give them the 12th game every year.

How have we never played before? Both schools are participants in the only 2 neutral site games left in the RRR and the WLOCP. That takes one game away and since most schools need at least 6 home games to make their budgets work and since both have conference schedules to play, the only spots on the schedule left are for 2 teams which will agree to play @ OU/UF and not demand a home game in return. Bigtime programs are never going to agree to that.

I'd love to play y'all and U$C again (played twice in the 80's....they've still never beaten us :) ), Meatchicken, Ohio State, Texas, Penn State, Nebraska, Notre Lame, UCLA, Va Tech, etc. Those games would both be exciting and good for recruiting purposes.

ETGator1
12/20/2008, 10:45 PM
It won't happen any time soon. Jeremy Foley, UF AD, was opposed to the 12th game without a one week extension of the season. With the 12th game and no season extension by the NCAA, UF had to give up its open date before FSU so we simply scheduled another one way ticket game before FSU. Can you imagine UF sliding OU onto the schedule the week before Tennessee, Georgia, or FSU? How about OU sliding UF in the week before TX? It isn't going to happen.

Jeremy Foley wants to maintain open dates during the season. In seasons that extend by one week on the calendar naturally, 08 this season and then again in 13, UF committed to play Miami.

IMO, if the NCAA were to extend the season by one week, UF would schedule some interesting home and home intersectional matchups while scheduling Miami 2 out of every 6 years. After years of crying about UF ducking Miami, it was learned a couple years ago that Miami doesn't want an every year series with UF like FSU.

I'd love to see a home and home with OU, but it would be after 2013 and it would have to be scheduled like what we did with Miami in 08 and 13. Miami came to UF in 08 and UF goes to Miami in 13. It would be so much easier from a UF perspective if the NCAA would extend the season by one week so UF could schedule top home and home series while not making a bad schedule for UF to do it.

cheezyq
12/20/2008, 11:04 PM
SEC teams don't schedule good teams out of conference, period. And they sure as heck won't go on the road to do it, either. The furthest UF will go to play a team is at FSU. LSU won't go further than Tulane. Georgia won't go further than Georgia Tech. The SEC needs to play sorry competition out of conference to maintain that illusion that they're the greatest conference ever.

HungaryGator
12/20/2008, 11:52 PM
We play our in-state rivals usually for our out of conference games. Its a lot harder to schedule a big intersectional game we would like since our in-state rivals are not in our conference. I would agree that fsu and miami are both very mediocre teams now. That has not been the case for much of the last 25 years however.