PDA

View Full Version : Why OU will smoke UF...

soonerspudman
12/20/2008, 01:50 PM
After digesting everything the past several weeks, it's become obvious why OU will best UF handily : OU's scout team can better duplicate UF's offense and will be more prepared. Why? Sam Bradford. Exactly who on UF's scout team will represent Bradford? OU has about 20 players it can use on scout team to duplicate UF's "speed" (sorry gators to spoil your myth), and they've seen great passing QB's all year, most better than Tebow, including going against the game's best in practice every day.

UF will spend five weeks preparing for what they think they'll see from OU's offense, what they actually encounter (Bradford) will be completely different. Mentally they won't be able to keep up, this will be the difference.

Gators, go watch some films from this year, Bradford will have six receiving options every play, regardless of formation, he looks off defenders like no college QB in history, you're D backs won't know who he's throwing to until the ball leaves his hand and he puts it on a dime. Your players haven't seen this level of QB play in their entire careers, much less from the scout team.

Meanwhile, our D is preparing for the UF attack with a bevy of 4.4 - 4.35 guys on scout that can match anything the UF "speedsters" can muster. And don't try to throw in the "Tebow" factor, OU's D has seen a half dozen QB's better than him already plus defending Bradford in practice every day.

It's all in the preparation, this is OU's biggest advantage.

AzianSooner
12/20/2008, 01:56 PM
If I believe you, then i would distrust 9 out of 10 of so called sport analysts out there saying Tim is supper man will give FL a win.
Furthermore, if I trust you then i should stop reading those false propaganda of ESPN, Sporting News,... from now on.

fadada1
12/20/2008, 01:58 PM
Meanwhile, our D is preparing for the UF attack with a bevy of 4.4 - 4.35 guys on scout that can match anything the UF "speedsters" can muster.

shows what you know. those are their 100m times.... and in full pads!!!

catsigater
12/20/2008, 02:02 PM
Meanwhile, our D is preparing for the UF attack with a bevy of 4.4 - 4.35 guys on scout that can match anything the UF "speedsters" can muster. And don't try to throw in the "Tebow" factor, OU's D has seen a half dozen QB's better than him already plus defending Bradford in practice every day.

Your analysis breaks down right here.

No, UF has not seen a QB of Bradford's caliber, but the above simply shows your ignorance of the Gators. I'm not going to try to convince you, because we've heard these statements before, and the only thing that will change your mind is getting beat by Tebow and the very players you're trying to dismiss as "speedsters."

Like I said, if OU wins, I'll come back and congratulate you. If UF does, you won't hear from me, but I will take pleasure, as I have all year in lurking and reading the posts from all the doubters, who'll still be wondering WTH hit them until sometime right before spring practice starts back up.

HiFiGator
12/20/2008, 02:11 PM
After digesting everything the past several weeks, it's become obvious why OU will best UF handily : OU's scout team can better duplicate UF's offense and will be more prepared. Why? Sam Bradford. Exactly who on UF's scout team will represent Bradford? OU has about 20 players it can use on scout team to duplicate UF's "speed" (sorry gators to spoil your myth), and they've seen great passing QB's all year, most better than Tebow, including going against the game's best in practice every day.

UF will spend five weeks preparing for what they think they'll see from OU's offense, what they actually encounter (Bradford) will be completely different. Mentally they won't be able to keep up, this will be the difference.

Gators, go watch some films from this year, Bradford will have six receiving options every play, regardless of formation, he looks off defenders like no college QB in history, you're D backs won't know who he's throwing to until the ball leaves his hand and he puts it on a dime. Your players haven't seen this level of QB play in their entire careers, much less from the scout team.

You've got to cut this out. I have had to replace 3 keyboards already this week, with the uncontrollable laughter resulting in assorted drinks distributed randomly amongst the keys ...

Ok, enough of the cordial greeting ...

Can I cuss here? Not sure what's allowed ...

Here goes:

Are you out of your fu**ing mind? Yes, you have a great team. Yes, you have talented and athletic players all over your roster. This just in: so do we. Who exactly do you think can play the role of Tebow on your roster? Forget about who's "better" between Bradford and Tebow for a minute. Who exactly can play the role of the 235 pound QB who is now a seasoned 3 year veteran, former National Championa and Heisman Trophy winner? I'm not going to knock Bradford. He is a great player for sure. I don't think the question is whether or not he can hit his receivers if he has time. I think the key to that part of the equation is whether or not he will consistently have time. But getting back to your point ... no, I'm not talking about the one under your hat ... but, I sure would like to see those 20 guys you have on your scout team that can match:

1. Tim Tebow -- smart and tremendous decision maker, powerful yet swift and somewhat elusive runner and once again, Heisman Trophy winner

2. Percy Harvin -- Devin Hester with ten times the muscle, one of the fastest players in terms of football speed ever

3. G-factor -- (don't blame me, that's what ESPN called it) ... in any case, it refers to the 8 players with verifiable sub-4.4 speed, including the fastest high-school player ever in the 100 meters

Sorry, I'm not going to knock your team. But to say that you have 20 guys on your scout team who can duplicate Florida is absurd. Even you fellow boomer-sooners must admit that much. Getting back to your point, John Brantley -- our 2nd string qb -- is incredibly accurate and throws about as perfect a ball as anyone out there. Granted he needs to develop other skills, but I don't think using him to replicate Bradford would be a bad idea. I just hope he wears a yellow (non-contact) jersey. We will probably need him in the second half in mop up duty.

delhalew
12/20/2008, 02:25 PM
I'll throw you a bone HiFi. The original post was a bit over the top.

Now maybe I **** you off, because his point was still valid. We have alot of speed on the "scout" team.

More importantly, there is no accounting for Bradford. I know they'll try. As much as we like to make fun Urban is no dummy. Right now he is killing himself trying to comepletly revamp his defense from square one, because he seen the tape and he knows what ya'll are getting into.

Sam does not need as much time as you think he does. He simply has had that luxury due to the most insane OL I have ever seen.

I won't take your speed for granted, but that doesn't mean I'm not sick of hearing about it.

soonerspudman
12/20/2008, 02:29 PM
You've got to cut this out. I have had to replace 3 keyboards already this week, with the uncontrollable laughter resulting in assorted drinks distributed randomly amongst the keys ...

Here goes:

Are you out of your fu**ing mind? Yes, you have a great team. Yes, you have talented and athletic players all over your roster. This just in: so do we. Who exactly do you think can play the role of Tebow on your roster? Forget about who's "better" between Bradford and Tebow for a minute. Who exactly can play the role of the 235 pound QB who is now a seasoned 3 year veteran, former National Championa and Heisman Trophy winner? I'm not going to knock Bradford. He is a great player for sure. I don't think the question is whether or not he can hit his receivers if he has time. I think the key to that part of the equation is whether or not he will consistently have time. But getting back to your point ... no, I'm not talking about the one under your hat ... but, I sure would like to see those 20 guys you have on your scout team that can match:

1. Tim Tebow -- smart and tremendous decision maker, powerful yet swift and somewhat elusive runner and once again, Heisman Trophy winner

2. Percy Harvin -- Devin Hester with ten times the muscle, one of the fastest players in terms of football speed ever

3. G-factor -- (don't blame me, that's what ESPN called it) ... in any case, it refers to the 8 players with verifiable sub-4.4 speed, including the fastest high-school player ever in the 100 meters

Sorry, I'm not going to knock your team. But to say that you have 20 guys on your scout team who can duplicate Florida is absurd. Even you fellow boomer-sooners must admit that much. Getting back to your point, John Brantley -- our 2nd string qb -- is incredibly accurate and throws about as perfect a ball as anyone out there. Granted he needs to develop other skills, but I don't think using him to replicate Bradford would be a bad idea. I just hope he wears a yellow (non-contact) jersey. We will probably need him in the second half in mop up duty.

Let's break it down:

Are you out of your fu**ing mind? Uh, no.

Who exactly do you think can play the role of Tebow on your roster? Passing: our first stringer, our second stringer, and our RS Freshman. Running: Any of our fullbacks will do

I think the key to that part of the equation is whether or not he will consistently have time. He will consistently have time, this is a better O line than any you have in the SEC.

1. Tim Tebow -- smart and tremendous decision maker, powerful yet swift and somewhat elusive runner and once again, Heisman Trophy winner Quit living in last year. With the exception of the fourth quarter v. Alabama Tebow has been very average this year.

2. Percy Harvin -- Devin Hester with ten times the muscle, one of the fastest players in terms of football speed ever Wow, he should consider bodybuilding competition. Fastest ever football speed? No. He's good, he's fast, but he's not above about a dozen other players this year, look at his stats, very average production.

3. G-factor -- (don't blame me, that's what ESPN called it) ... in any case, it refers to the 8 players with verifiable sub-4.4 speed, including the fastest high-school player ever in the 100 meters Okay, if ESPN said it that makes it true.

John Brantley -- our 2nd string qb -- is incredibly accurate and throws about as perfect a ball as anyone out there. Uh, then why's he second team in a league that can't throw to save their lives?

We will probably need him in the second half in mop up duty. Thanks for adding humor to an otherwise thoughtless post.

Get over yourselves gators.

MiamiGator79
12/20/2008, 02:50 PM
Let's break it down:

Are you out of your fu**ing mind? Uh, no.

Who exactly do you think can play the role of Tebow on your roster? Passing: our first stringer, our second stringer, and our RS Freshman. Running: Any of our fullbacks will do

I think the key to that part of the equation is whether or not he will consistently have time. He will consistently have time, this is a better O line than any you have in the SEC.

1. Tim Tebow -- smart and tremendous decision maker, powerful yet swift and somewhat elusive runner and once again, Heisman Trophy winner Quit living in last year. With the exception of the fourth quarter v. Alabama Tebow has been very average this year.

2. Percy Harvin -- Devin Hester with ten times the muscle, one of the fastest players in terms of football speed ever Wow, he should consider bodybuilding competition. Fastest ever football speed? No. He's good, he's fast, but he's not above about a dozen other players this year, look at his stats, very average production.

3. G-factor -- (don't blame me, that's what ESPN called it) ... in any case, it refers to the 8 players with verifiable sub-4.4 speed, including the fastest high-school player ever in the 100 meters Okay, if ESPN said it that makes it true.

John Brantley -- our 2nd string qb -- is incredibly accurate and throws about as perfect a ball as anyone out there. Uh, then why's he second team in a league that can't throw to save their lives?

We will probably need him in the second half in mop up duty. Thanks for adding humor to an otherwise thoughtless post.

Get over yourselves gators.

First off, I'm looking forward to a good game.

With that said, this post is silly. I'm not even sure where to start...maybe with your original post saying that you have a bevy of guys on the scout team who run 4.3-4.4 40's. You lost all credibility right there. Then, Tebow has been average this year? Really? Have you watched any UF games this year? Sure, Meyer doesn't play him late in the 4th when we are up by 5 TD's, so I guess his stats won't impress you.

cheezyq
12/20/2008, 02:57 PM

Here goes:

You're not going to knock Bradford...BUT, your 2nd string QB should be able to effectively mimic Bradford...THE WINNER OF THE HEISMAN. I love me some Gator and SEC arrogance. I have never laughed so hard for so long in my life as these last couple of weeks with these Gator fans on our board. Keep it coming. This is damn good stuff.

delhalew
12/20/2008, 02:58 PM

With that said, this post is silly. I'm not even sure where to start...maybe with your original post saying that you have a bevy of guys on the scout team who run 4.3-4.4 40's. You lost all credibility right there. Then, Tebow has been average this year? Really? Have you watched any UF games this year? Sure, Meyer doesn't play him late in the 4th when we are up by 5 TD's, so I guess his stats won't impress you.

You shot yourself down at the end there buddy.

OKC-SLC
12/20/2008, 03:49 PM

You make comments like these and expect people to think you and other Gator fans aren't prone to hyperbolize?

I have a serious question--if the talent and skill of Tebow, Harvin, et al. is so overwhelming and suppressive--how did you guys lose to Michigan last year? How did you lose the other games? How did you lose to Miss. this year? I'm asking seriously; I'm not flaming. You guys get on here and act like it's a foregone conclusion that your guys are unbeatable. BUT THEY'VE LOST PLENTY.

Most Sooner fans acknowledge that Stoops and OU are beatable--we got beat by the best team we played so far this year--why does it seem like your fan representation on our board doesn't do this?

cheezyq
12/20/2008, 03:51 PM
I have a question for HiFiGator and the other SEC/UF fans (there isn't much distinction between the two):

If the SEC and UF are so friggin' awesome, and you use ESPN as your measuring stick (note: G-factor, really?)...then why did the SEC's best player finish behind 2, yes TWO, Big 12 players in the Heisman race...a race largely determined by ESPN media members?

soonerspudman
12/20/2008, 04:08 PM
Sure, Meyer doesn't play him (Tebow) late in the 4th when we are up by 5 TD's, so I guess his stats won't impress you.

...because UF was never up by 5TD's in the 4th.

spaceman
12/20/2008, 04:44 PM
1. Tim Tebow -- smart and tremendous decision maker, powerful yet swift and somewhat elusive runnerAre you SERIOUS? Tebow is a freaking TE playing QB! He is a SLOWER Matt Jones. The Sooner defense will RIP him to shreds. Mark this down, 2 picks and one fumble.

2. Percy Harvin -- Devin Hester with ten times the muscle, one of the fastest players in terms of football speed everJeremy Maclin! Next...

3. G-factor -- (don't blame me, that's what ESPN called it) ... in any case, it refers to the 8 players with verifiable sub-4.4 speed, including the fastest high-school player ever in the 100 meterslol ESPN?

Circle City Gator
12/20/2008, 04:53 PM
This entire thread is silly. OU doesn't have a Tebow on its scout team, and Florida doesn't have a Bradford. OU does not have anybody on its team as fast as Harvin*, Rainey**, or Demps***, and they certainly don't have a bunch of scout guys that fast. Oklahoma has a good OL, but not the best we faced, given that 'Bama's left side had an All-American and likely TWO first round draft picks playing next to each other. The other arguments above, like the one that we can't possibly imitate Bradford because he's the Heisman Trophy winner, well, why don't you stop and think about that for maybe a second or two net time before you hit "post," because it makes you look stupid.

How did we lose to Michigan last year? Tell me about your bowl game, why don't you? How did we lose to Mississippi? 5 fumbles, and Ole Miss turned out to be pretty darned good, finishing the year as a top 20 team.

The bottom line? Both teams are very good, and neither can really imitate the other with their scout teams. If you think otherwise, there is a very good chance that you are either completely blinded by your bias, or you are a moron.

Finally, if you really think OU has seen 6 better QBs than Tebow, then you haven't watched him play the game. Fortunately for you, your coaches and players are likely more level-headed than you are.

*Harvin- the fastest guy you have still in the game is the DB from Virginia (don't recall the name, sorry) who broke a bunch of Virginia HS track records, winning the 200, the long jump and the triple jump at State in his senior year. Well, Harvin broke all those records and won those events in Virginia, along with the 100 meters and the 110 hurdles, in his junior year.

**Raniey- anchor man on the 4th place NCAA 4x100 at the outdoors last year.

***Demps- fastest high schooler ever, 10.01 at the Olympic trials, laser timing, not coaches holding stopwatches.

tbl
12/20/2008, 05:13 PM
This thread is a little silly. We can't quite account for Tebow, but we'll be prepared as we can. Taking into account the "mobile QB kryptonite effect" that takes over our defense, I'm very nervous about facing off against him. That said, it's going to be a nerve wracking game. I honestly don't believe they'll take off on us, but we'll be hard pressed to get points crazy on them as well. I'm freaking out...

cheezyq
12/20/2008, 05:14 PM
Dammit, we're doomed simply for the fact that we don't know what race our players won, or what their 40-times are. Did our guys lift weights this week??? We're DOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!

WestAustinSooner
12/20/2008, 05:15 PM
OU will win simply because we have lost the last 4 bowl games. This is a highly motivated team, and Stoops will pull out all the stops to win. Sorry, Florida, but we're going to stomp your a**.

soonervegas
12/20/2008, 05:16 PM
I am amazed at the amount of fans on both sides that think the game is a foregone conclusion:

Florida fans = totally dismissing losing at HOME to a decent/good team and the overall strength of the SEC this year - it's down fellas, sorry.

OU fans = totally discounting OU's jekyl and hyde defense and marginal special teams play.

I don't see how either school could feel overwhelming confidence going into this game.

OKC-SLC
12/20/2008, 05:17 PM
How did we lose to Michigan last year? Tell me about your bowl game, why don't you? How did we lose to Mississippi? 5 fumbles, and Ole Miss turned out to be pretty darned good, finishing the year as a top 20 team.

We got wasted in our bowl game by a team better prepared, coached, and motivated. See how easy honesty can be?

The premise of this thread is silly--I'll give you that. Tebow is a special player, and I hope and know that the OU team is taking him more seriously than some of the posters on this board.

And there is no one on OU's (scout) team who can mimic what UF will do on offense. If there was, they'd be starting.

There is no one on UF's (scout) team who can mimic what OU will do on offense. If there was, YOUR offense would be the one averaging 55+ points all season.

Personally, my point is this: It does not even seem plausible to the UF fans posting here that UF could lose this game. But that same team HAS lost. And in their bowl game lost to a 'slow' Big 10 team. I just don't understand this arrogance, that's all.

As an OU fan, I'm scared ****less. I have no problem admitting here that I fear our D won't have the answers. And I'm sure UF's D will have at least some. And when it comes to intangibles, I'm still gunshy about this team's mental toughness--last year we lost two games because of heart alone (CU and WVU) with much the same personnel.

I and others are giving UF their due. Why do no UF fans do the same? I'll never know the answer, I suppose. Just tell me more about how well your backfield ran track in high school.

cheezyq
12/20/2008, 05:18 PM
This thread is a little silly. We can't quite account for Tebow, but we'll be prepared as we can. Taking into account the "mobile QB kryptonite effect" that takes over our defense, I'm very nervous about facing off against him. That said, it's going to be a nerve wracking game. I honestly don't believe they'll take off on us, but we'll be hard pressed to get points crazy on them as well. I'm freaking out...

Dude, read the posts of HiFiGator, Circle City Gator, catstig8r, and all the other Gator/SEC fans on this board...add a pinch of sarcasm and you've got this thread.

delhalew
12/20/2008, 05:21 PM
Did anyone else notice that his seasoon even ABC/ESPN couldn't adjust to the uptempo OU offense? They would cut away to a graphic or an interview and miss an entire play, because the boys got to line and snapped the ball in less than half the time they anticipated. They did this all year long. A couple times every game. You'd think the producers would have post-it noted saying "careful, this a Sooner game".

OKC-SLC
12/20/2008, 05:23 PM
OU fans = totally discounting OU's jekyl and hyde defense and marginal special teams play.

I'm not even sure our special teams are even marginal.

supes
12/20/2008, 05:25 PM
As a Gator fan, I am confident Florida will win just like I am for every other game the Gators play. I can understand why Sooner fans are as confident as well. However,what I don't understand is, many of you Sooner fans seem to believe that since Bradford won the Heisman and that you have scored so many points this season that you are going to do the same thing to FLorida. I think Bradford is a great qb and you have a great team. Why can't you all give Florida the same respect?

delhalew
12/20/2008, 05:32 PM
As a Gator fan, I am confident Florida will win just like I am for every other game the Gators play. I can understand why Sooner fans are as confident as well. However,what I don't understand is, many of you Sooner fans seem to believe that since Bradford won the Heisman and that you have scored so many points this season that you are going to do the same thing to FLorida. I think Bradford is a great qb and you have a great team. Why can't you all give Florida the same respect?

I can only speak for myself. The Heisman to me is a non factor, as is our otherworldly point total.

What I am willing to guarantee, is that your defense will not be prepared for the style/tempo of our offense until the 2nd quarter at the earliest.

I'm not even guaranteeing a win, just that every gator, with the exception of your coaching staff, is failing to realize how difficult that will be.

That said I have the utmost respect for FLA. This is what every team has to deal with when the play OU.

OKC-SLC
12/20/2008, 05:32 PM
Heisman has nothing to do with this game. If anyone believes it does, they're retarded.

We won't score that easily against UF, but we will score enough to win. However, I'm not sure our defense can hold you guys enough to win.

Add to that the intangibles, our special teams play, our penchant for NOT turning the ball over, etc. and you've got a very difficult game to predict. For Sooners and Gators alike.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/20/2008, 05:34 PM
This entire thread is silly.
Agreed. The game will come down to the Gators vs the Sooners on Jan 8, not what was done in practice.

OU doesn't have a Tebow on its scout team, and Florida doesn't have a Bradford. OU does not have anybody on its team as fast as Harvin*, Rainey**, or Demps***, and they certainly don't have a bunch of scout guys that fast. No, but our defense is speedy. If anything, our defense tends to "over pursue" (or sometimes just takes bad angles) because of their speed. Where OU can be killed is in the shiftiness department.
Oklahoma has a good OL, but not the best we faced, given that 'Bama's left side had an All-American and likely TWO first round draft picks playing next to each other. Our offensive line has, admittedly, not played to their potential at times during the year. At the beginning of the year they were down right bad at run blocking. But all 'Bama does is run block. Our offensive line is better at what they do. They will give Sam time to throw, where as John Parker Wilson did not have time in crucial situations. That is where our balance comes into play. Scoring in the 60s? Because we can KILL you on the ground and KILL you through the air. I'm not too old, but I don't remember a team that was so two dimensional...ever. And I'm not just beating our own drum. When we don't score I'm stunned.

The other arguments above, like the one that we can't possibly imitate Bradford because he's the Heisman Trophy winner, well, why don't you stop and think about that for maybe a second or two net time before you hit "post," because it makes you look stupid. I agree, but like I said, our previous game experiences mean 200% more than what the scout team does. We've been better prepared by seeing good offenses. You haven't.

How did we lose to Michigan last year? Tell me about your bowl game, why don't you? How did we lose to Mississippi? 5 fumbles, and Ole Miss turned out to be pretty darned good, finishing the year as a top 20 team. Show me a poster around here talking about how unbeatable we are. I know the Gators are threatening and have a great shot at winning the game. Our injuries and everything else that has gone wrong since the Mizzou game aside, Florida can play some football and could probably beat us 5/10 times. Why? Our defense has holes. Our special teams is sucktastic. Our offense hasn't met much adversity. But I think we match up well against your Gators. That's why I think we will win. Not because we're unbeatable and the greatest thing since sliced cheese.

The bottom line? Both teams are very good, and neither can really imitate the other with their scout teams. If you think otherwise, there is a very good chance that you are either completely blinded by your bias, or you are a moron.

Finally, if you really think OU has seen 6 better QBs than Tebow, then you haven't watched him play the game. Fortunately for you, your coaches and players are likely more level-headed than you are.
We've seen good quarterbacks. Quarterbacks have looked great against us (Robert Griffin, Colt McCoy, Zac Robinson)....they had OUTSTANDING days. And guess what, we still won. Like I said, that's why I like our chances.

*Harvin- the fastest guy you have still in the game is the DB from Virginia (don't recall the name, sorry) who broke a bunch of Virginia HS track records, winning the 200, the long jump and the triple jump at State in his senior year. Well, Harvin broke all those records and won those events in Virginia, along with the 100 meters and the 110 hurdles, in his junior year.

***Demps- fastest high schooler ever, 10.01 at the Olympic trials, laser timing, not coaches holding stopwatches.speed is speed. Why do a few tenths of a second count? I don't see it. Maybe, if you break a big one, otherwise, football is not a track meet.

OKC-SLC
12/20/2008, 05:34 PM
Oh, and God is a Sooner. So we've got that going for us, which is nice.

soonerspudman
12/20/2008, 05:39 PM
This entire thread is silly. OU doesn't have a Tebow on its scout team, and Florida doesn't have a Bradford. OU does not have anybody on its team as fast as Harvin*, Rainey**, or Demps***, and they certainly don't have a bunch of scout guys that fast. Oklahoma has a good OL, but not the best we faced, given that 'Bama's left side had an All-American and likely TWO first round draft picks playing next to each other. The other arguments above, like the one that we can't possibly imitate Bradford because he's the Heisman Trophy winner, well, why don't you stop and think about that for maybe a second or two net time before you hit "post," because it makes you look stupid.

***Demps- fastest high schooler ever, 10.01 at the Olympic trials, laser timing, not coaches holding stopwatches.

The other arguments above, like the one that we can't possibly imitate Bradford because he's the Heisman Trophy winner, well, why don't you stop and think about that for maybe a second or two net time before you hit "post," because it makes you look stupid.

POST Post Post - your scout team can't imitate Bradford -POST POST POST

Finally, if you really think OU has seen 6 better QBs than Tebow, then you haven't watched him play the game.

Watched several UF games this year, that's exactly why I'm confident saying OU has seen at least 6 better than Tebow. Look, he's got about a half dozen highlight plays from this year that we see 50 times every day, other than that he's just been a pretty good QB, sorry this shakes the base of your world gator fans but it's true, his stats don't lie. Just fine but average. He really wasn't even on the Heisman radar until the last two weeks when the media realized they needed to manufacture an east-coast attraction.

4th place, that's just awesome.

And knock off with the "you're stupid, you're a moron stuff", it makes you sound like, well, like a gator fan.

OKC-SLC
12/20/2008, 05:40 PM
Oklahoma has a good OL, but not the best we faced, given that 'Bama's left side had an All-American and likely TWO first round draft picks playing next to each other.

And by the way, Duke Robinson* and Phil Loadholt** wonder if you have even a cursory knowledge of OU's roster.

*Consensus All-American and likely first round draft pick

**Likely first round draft pick

OK2LA
12/20/2008, 05:52 PM
Tim is supper man

Heh. You called him supper man

SOFSooner
12/20/2008, 05:58 PM
What part did Tebow play in the national championship? Nothing, he was a redshirt the year that you won the MNC.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/20/2008, 06:08 PM
What part did Tebow play in the national championship? Nothing, he was a redshirt the year that you won the MNC.

No he wasn't.

gatorsownu2
12/20/2008, 06:31 PM
Get your facts straight. He played the whole year as a true freshman. He was not the starter. He just came in during certain situations. Probably 10 or 12 plays a game.

Mr2Cents
12/20/2008, 07:14 PM

Tebow was actually a true freshman that season and served as a situational change-of-place player, primarily spelling Chris Leak to gain first downs on third or fourth-and-short situations as one of our only sure-handed running threats. I respectfully disagree that Tebow did "nothing" to aid Florida's championship drive in 2006. Some points of note:

Converted a critical 4th-and-1 in Knoxville to help the Gators escape with a 21-20 victory over Tennessee in a game in which they trailed 17-7 after halftime.

Threw two TD passes in a 23-10 win over then #9-ranked LSU.

Rushed ten times for 39 yards and one TD; also passed for a TD in the MNC game vs. Ohio State in Glendale.

catsigater
12/20/2008, 07:22 PM
Tebow was actually a true freshman that season and served as a situational change-of-place player, primarily spelling Chris Leak to gain first downs on third or fourth-and-short situations as one of our only sure-handed running threats. I respectfully disagree that Tebow did "nothing" to aid Florida's championship drive in 2006. Some points of note:

Converted a critical 4th-and-1 in Knoxville to help the Gators escape with a 21-20 victory over Tennessee in a game in which they trailed 17-7 after halftime.

Threw two TD passes in a 23-10 win over then #9-ranked LSU.

Rushed ten times for 39 yards and one TD; also passed for a TD in the MNC game vs. Ohio State in Glendale.

Tebow could not have won the NC as the starter in '06. Leak would not have won the NC without him. Indisputable.

SeaCay
12/20/2008, 07:24 PM
I am amazed at the amount of fans on both sides that think the game is a foregone conclusion:

Florida fans = totally dismissing losing at HOME to a decent/good team and the overall strength of the SEC this year - it's down fellas, sorry.

I don't see how either school could feel overwhelming confidence going into this game.

Winner, winner, :chicken: dinner!

WileyCoyote
12/20/2008, 07:38 PM
In addition to all the pro OU stuff, I really feel compelled to be benevolent at this time of year and let the FL fans in on some scoop before they get too stuck in their own self serving swamp....The FIX is IN.....OU has an edge...

It came to me in a vision from our #1 fan...lol.....

cheezyq
12/20/2008, 08:01 PM

Hey supes! Welcome to the Florida's Got Speed Message Board.

Take a moment and read through the threads here, and in particular examine the posts of your fellow Gator guests, and THEN see if you think you have the right to play the disrespect card.

L-Boy
12/20/2008, 08:25 PM
I think CCG and others have pretty much blown up the premise of this thread, so I won't repeat their arguments. However, this is about as one sided of a homer argument as I have encountered - we will replicate what they do in practice, but they can't replicate us, cuz we're better.

Circle City Gator
12/20/2008, 09:43 PM
We got wasted in our bowl game by a team better prepared, coached, and motivated. See how easy honesty can be?

The premise of this thread is silly--I'll give you that. Tebow is a special player, and I hope and know that the OU team is taking him more seriously than some of the posters on this board.

And there is no one on OU's (scout) team who can mimic what UF will do on offense. If there was, they'd be starting.

There is no one on UF's (scout) team who can mimic what OU will do on offense. If there was, YOUR offense would be the one averaging 55+ points all season.

Personally, my point is this: It does not even seem plausible to the UF fans posting here that UF could lose this game. But that same team HAS lost. And in their bowl game lost to a 'slow' Big 10 team. I just don't understand this arrogance, that's all.

As an OU fan, I'm scared ****less. I have no problem admitting here that I fear our D won't have the answers. And I'm sure UF's D will have at least some. And when it comes to intangibles, I'm still gunshy about this team's mental toughness--last year we lost two games because of heart alone (CU and WVU) with much the same personnel.

I and others are giving UF their due. Why do no UF fans do the same? I'll never know the answer, I suppose. Just tell me more about how well your backfield ran track in high school.

What UF fans are you talking about? I have repeatedly said this game is not a foregone conclusion, that both are great teams, and that I don't know who will win. Castigator has said the same. Really, who are you talking about.

As for the track times, well, those were in response to this inane thread, and nothing more.

Circle City Gator
12/20/2008, 09:51 PM
speed is speed. Why do a few tenths of a second count? I don't see it. Maybe, if you break a big one, otherwise, football is not a track meet.

This is where so many of you are missing the point. It's not a matter of open field speed, where DBs just need to take deeper angles. No, it's a matter of the speed they turn corners on outside runs, and hit holes going through the middle. Watch some of the YouTubes of Demps, Rainey and Harvin. They're not big guys (though Harvin is actually pretty strong). Where other RBs would barely see creases, these guys have holes, because of how incredibly quickly they hit and get through them. No, I'm not talking about track guys in the open field, but running backs and the line of scrimmage. We might win. We might lose. But don't kid yourself- speed is a really big deal in the game of football. What is a tenth of a second? The difference between getting hit by a defensive tackle and taking on a safety 7 yard beyond the LOS.

Seriously, watch those guys. You will notice how many times two different defenders are converging, looking to turn Gators into Gator sandwiches, only to both come up empty-handed, because they just could not guage the speed. When a runner splits defenders, that is where that tenth of a second is the difference between a four yard run and a touchdown.

L-Boy
12/20/2008, 09:58 PM
What UF fans are you talking about? I have repeatedly said this game is not a foregone conclusion, that both are great teams, and that I don't know who will win. Castigator has said the same. Really, who are you talking about.

As for the track times, well, those were in response to this inane thread, and nothing more.

I am not sure who he is referring to either. I have said it could go either way. Initially, I was pretty worried. After looking at it more, I am feeling better about UF's chances, but again, this could go either way. If you follow college football history at all, championship games (or their proxy) quite often turn out differently than expected. That is worked for and against UF, and has worked for and against OU.

OU will be by far and away the best offense UF has faced. I would argue the Gators are the toughest D and special teams that OU has faced. Throw that into the mix, and who knows what turns out.

Iam4OUru
12/20/2008, 10:27 PM
Gaytor fans, tell ya what......to show what an advantage I think the Heisman is...you can have the da*n thing, as far as I'm concerned. There is a Heisman Hex going around in these BCS Title games and it's real. Matt Leinart is the only Trophy winner to wear a BCS ring. How many BCS games has Tebow won as a Heisman winner? Exactly!!! That's what we have to deal with.

cheezyq
12/20/2008, 10:57 PM
CCG, I love how you supplement this...

What UF fans are you talking about? I have repeatedly said this game is not a foregone conclusion...

...with this...

This is where so many of you are missing the point. It's not a matter of open field speed, where DBs just need to take deeper angles. No, it's a matter of the speed they turn corners on outside runs, and hit holes going through the middle. Watch some of the YouTubes of Demps, Rainey and Harvin. They're not big guys (though Harvin is actually pretty strong). Where other RBs would barely see creases, these guys have holes, because of how incredibly quickly they hit and get through them. No, I'm not talking about track guys in the open field, but running backs and the line of scrimmage. We might win. We might lose. But don't kid yourself- speed is a really big deal in the game of football. What is a tenth of a second? The difference between getting hit by a defensive tackle and taking on a safety 7 yard beyond the LOS.

Seriously, watch those guys. You will notice how many times two different defenders are converging, looking to turn Gators into Gator sandwiches, only to both come up empty-handed, because they just could not guage the speed. When a runner splits defenders, that is where that tenth of a second is the difference between a four yard run and a touchdown.

You idiots CONSTANTLY post about how gr8 the G8r speed is, completely ignoring that OU has that same speed. When are you going to realize that OU doesn't have a bunch of dumb, slow cavemen lumbering around the field? Do you honestly think that you have more faster players than OU? You morons constantly post that all your players, including your 2nd teamers, are faster than OU's fastest players. You talk about how the SEC has all the speed in the universe.

And even when OU receivers are running past your supersonic defense on Jan. 8th, you likely STILL won't lay off the speed talk. Just STFU on how great your players are, will ya? You jetted past delusional days ago and have now rocketed past lunacy heading for full-on dementia.

WE GET IT, YOU THINK YOUR PLAYERS ARE FASTER THAN OURS

G8trGr8t
12/20/2008, 11:00 PM
Heisman is a serious disadvantage. The time demands and other stuff that go along with it usually hurt the player. I am personally glad that Tebow didn't win. Besides the above reason, I hope it gives him motivation to come back next year to try and win it again.

AzianSooner
12/20/2008, 11:04 PM
I've heard some gator fans said that Alabama "toughen" their defense up. If that's true then i think the rest of the SEC teams that FL played must suck with their offense.

L-Boy
12/20/2008, 11:05 PM

...with this...

You idiots CONSTANTLY post about how gr8 the G8r speed is, completely ignoring that OU has that same speed. When are you going to realize that OU doesn't have a bunch of dumb, slow cavemen lumbering around the field? Do you honestly think that you have more faster players than OU? You morons constantly post that all your players, including your 2nd teamers, are faster than OU's fastest players. You talk about how the SEC has all the speed in the universe.

And even when OU receivers are running past your supersonic defense on Jan. 8th, you likely STILL won't lay off the speed talk. Just STFU on how great your players are, will ya? You jetted past delusional days ago and have now rocketed past lunacy heading for full-on dementia.

Speed isn't everything, but all else being equal or close to it, it may be the deciding factor.

You state that OU has "the same speed". I would be curious to see any evidence of that. All the evidence I have seen has been to the contrary.

You proceed to throw out gross exaggerations

"You morons constantly post that all your players, including your 2nd teamers, are faster than OU's fastest players"

I have not read anything close to that posted on this board. But if making up stuff is what it takes to get you all jazzed up, then more power to ya.

cheezyq
12/20/2008, 11:16 PM
Speed isn't everything, but all else being equal or close to it, it may be the deciding factor.

You state that OU has "the same speed". I would be curious to see any evidence of that. All the evidence I have seen has been to the contrary.

You proceed to throw out gross exaggerations

"You morons constantly post that all your players, including your 2nd teamers, are faster than OU's fastest players"

I have not read anything close to that posted on this board. But if making up stuff is what it takes to get you all jazzed up, then more power to ya.

Um, who the **** are you? You've been here all of 10 minutes and you think you've got any reason to contradict my post. If you read CCG's post, he automatically assumes that OU doesn't have any speed. HFG is notorious for saying they have more speed in their 2nd team than OU. Just because you haven't read that on this board in the 15 seconds that you've spent reading instead of posting, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Apparently you also haven't seen any OU games this year. But feel free to assume that OU has a bunch of bloated lardasses lumbering up and down the field. And after Jan. 8th, win or lose, come back and let us know what you think about OU's speed...or lack of.

Mods, can we institute an minimum IQ for allowing opposing fans to post? K, Plzthnx.

L-Boy
12/20/2008, 11:28 PM
Um, who the **** are you? You've been here all of 10 minutes and you think you've got any reason to contradict my post. If you read CCG's post, he automatically assumes that OU doesn't have any speed. HFG is notorious for saying they have more speed in their 2nd team than OU. Just because you haven't read that on this board in the 15 seconds that you've spent reading instead of posting, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Apparently you also haven't seen any OU games this year. But feel free to assume that OU has a bunch of bloated lardasses lumbering up and down the field. And after Jan. 8th, win or lose, come back and let us know what you think about OU's speed...or lack of.

Mods, can we institute an minimum IQ for allowing opposing fans to post? K, Plzthnx.

My, we are quite impressed with ourselves, aren't we now> ;) . I have read CCG's posts, and I don't recall him saying "OU doesn't have any speed". I have watched a few of OU's games and living in Big 12 country and frequently traveling to OK I am reminded quite frequently of OU's "greatness". Yes, I will say I was quite impressed with some of their offensive performances - and a pretty good defensive showing against TT.

Usually when posters result to childish naming calling that is a sign that they feel intellectually threatened and inferior so they revert to more child like antics, so I understand and forgive you.

cheezyq
12/20/2008, 11:59 PM
My, we are quite impressed with ourselves, aren't we now> ;) .

I'm sorry, what is this? What in my post gives you the mistaken impression I'm trying to impress any of you idiots? And how does one impress him/herself? This kind of grandiosity is just lame.

I have read CCG's posts, and I don't recall him saying "OU doesn't have any speed". I have watched a few of OU's games and living in Big 12 country and frequently traveling to OK I am reminded quite frequently of OU's "greatness". Yes, I will say I was quite impressed with some of their offensive performances - and a pretty good defensive showing against TT.

This, LB, is apparently because you are unable to read. CCG and others constantly blab on and on about the speed of UF, thoroughly dismissing the reality that OU just might have some speed itself. Nearly everyone here (on the Sooner side) acknowledges that both teams are great. UF fans here generally do the same, but always and only with the caveat that they have more speed than NASCAR.

Usually when posters result to childish naming calling that is a sign that they feel intellectually threatened and inferior so they revert to more child like antics, so I understand and forgive you.

Oh grand master of all that is Internet, please educate us as to the sociology of the Interweb. I'm so relieved, oh pompous one, that I have received of your mercy.

Circle City Gator
12/21/2008, 12:10 AM

...with this...

Your reading comphrension is somewhat lacking. What I posted, and you quotes, was in response to a statement that speed only had value in the open field. I attempted to explain where it makes a difference at the line of scrimmage. If, rather than reading, you choose to quote out of context as a basis for a dishonest rant, have at it. At this point, you merely demonstrate your own flaws.

And no, OU does not have the same speed. It is a very good team and very well may win the game, but it quite simply does not have the same speed. THat is not an opinion. It is a fact. A simple, plain, indisputable fact. It might not be the difference in the game, but it remains a fact, and a factor as well.

cheezyq
12/21/2008, 12:14 AM
Your reading comphrension is somewhat lacking. What I posted, and you quotes, was in response to a statement that speed only had value in the open field. I attempted to explain where it makes a difference at the line of scrimmage. If, rather than reading, you choose to quote out of context as a basis for a dishonest rant, have at it. At this point, you merely demonstrate your own flaws.

And no, OU does not have the same speed. It is a very good team and very well may win the game, but it quite simply does not have the same speed. THat is not an opinion. It is a fact. A simple, plain, indisputable fact. It might not be the difference in the game, but it remains a fact, and a factor as well.

LOL. So you condemn me for a "dishonest rant" and then you follow up that statement with THAT? I think I know where the "circle" in your name comes from.

cheezyq
12/21/2008, 12:26 AM

I'm sorry, I just can't let this go. It's too friggin' hilarious. I won't even go into how wrong you are in the first paragraph, and the blatant contradiction in the 2nd paragraph. I just gotta comment on the "indisputable fact" that is UF being faster than OU.

How are you determining that? Do you watch the games with a stopwatch? Are you at the practices for both teams with a timer in hand? Where do you get these "indisputable facts"? ESPN? My guess is that you Tivo your UF games and watch them in fast forward.

This is what makes you Gayter fans look like idiots. You take opinion, speculation, and conjecture and vehemently laud it as fact.

Circle City Gator
12/21/2008, 12:31 AM
I'm sorry, I just can't let this go. It's too friggin' hilarious. I won't even go into how wrong you are in the first paragraph, and the blatant contradiction in the 2nd paragraph. I just gotta comment on the "indisputable fact" that is UF being faster than OU.

How are you determining that? Do you watch the games with a stopwatch? Are you at the practices for both teams with a timer in hand? Where do you get these "indisputable facts"? ESPN? My guess is that you Tivo your UF games and watch them in fast forward.

This is what makes you Gayter fans look like idiots. You take opinion, speculation, and conjecture and vehemently laud it as fact.

Olympic Trials Saturday Coverage: Demps Breaks U.S. 100m Record in 10.01, Advances to Semis (http://www.milesplit.us/articles/18837)

What a day it was for South Lake, Florida's Jeff Demps (pictured right, courtesy of Victor Sailor of PhotoRun.net). The University of Florida-bound senior broke the national record in the men's 100m dash quarter-final Saturday evening, blazing a 10.01, in the process of finishing second in his heat and advancing to tomorrow's semi-final.

I think you need to look up the words "opinion," "speculation," and "conjecture."

cheezyq
12/21/2008, 12:38 AM
Olympic Trials Saturday Coverage: Demps Breaks U.S. 100m Record in 10.01, Advances to Semis (http://www.milesplit.us/articles/18837)

I think you need to look up the words "opinion," "speculation," and "conjecture."

I think you need to look up the college football rulebook. Last time I checked they allowed more than 1 person per team on the playing field.

Curly Bill
12/21/2008, 12:40 AM

This would be considerably more impressive if we were having a track meet instead of a football game.

Circle City Gator
12/21/2008, 12:43 AM
I think you need to look up the college football rulebook. Last time I checked they allowed more than 1 person per team on the playing field.

ARE WE HARVIN A GOOD TIME YET? (http://www.dyestat.com/3us/6in/NIN/PercyHarvinFeature.html)

Last June (AS A JUNIOR IN HIGH SCHOOL), Harvin became the first Virginia prep in 69 years to win five gold medals at the state 3A track meet. He won the 100 meters with a time of 10.69 and finished first in the 200 in 21.59. His mark of 23 feet, 5.5 inches gave him the long jump title, and he won the triple jump with a 47-7 effort.

Curly Bill
12/21/2008, 12:44 AM
I want to buy a copy of the Florida talking points....

...or could one of you gatorbaters maybe copy and paste the part where it says to overwhelm the enemy with talk of how unbelievably fast we are.

cheezyq
12/21/2008, 12:47 AM
ARE WE HARVIN A GOOD TIME YET? (http://www.dyestat.com/3us/6in/NIN/PercyHarvinFeature.html)

Only 20 more players to go...

L-Boy
12/21/2008, 12:50 AM
I'm sorry, what is this? What in my post gives you the mistaken impression I'm trying to impress any of you idiots? And how does one impress him/herself? This kind of grandiosity is just lame.

This, LB, is apparently because you are unable to read. CCG and others constantly blab on and on about the speed of UF, thoroughly dismissing the reality that OU just might have some speed itself. Nearly everyone here (on the Sooner side) acknowledges that both teams are great. UF fans here generally do the same, but always and only with the caveat that they have more speed than NASCAR.

Oh grand master of all that is Internet, please educate us as to the sociology of the Interweb. I'm so relieved, oh pompous one, that I have received of your mercy.

You just seem to struggling to comprehend what you post and what you quote. CCG said OU does not have "the same" speed. He did not say you don't have "any" speed, whatever the hell that means. I think he made a pretty good case for his assertions by posting some facts from objective sources. I don't recall anybody refuting his facts or conclusions, at least with anything concrete or contrary evidence. There are ways to argue against CCG's point, but I don't see you or others effectively doing that.

I am happy that you have come to accept my deified status here on the interwebs though. Evidence there is hope for you. :D

cheezyq
12/21/2008, 12:52 AM

Wait a second...I see Mr. Harvin here is fast, but I missed the part where it says he is faster than all OU players. Can you post that link for me?

Curly Bill
12/21/2008, 12:54 AM
Wait a second...I see Mr. Harvin here is fast, but I missed the part where it says he is faster than all OU players. Can you post that link for me?

Damn it cheezy, the fact that Florida has players that can run down a cheetah is indisputable, it is truth, and to doubt that means that you are an imbecile, seriously lacking the ability to read and comprehend these very facts that they are kind enough to provide us.

Crucifax Autumn
12/21/2008, 12:55 AM
This is classic...

Hey gators...which one of you will do it? Don't say we're good, don't say we might win.

Just say this one little thing: Say Oklahoma has speed too and that the big 12 on average is as fast as the SEC on average. Don't give the statement with a "but Florida..." or anything similar. Just say it.

L-Boy
12/21/2008, 12:58 AM

Find CCG's introductory thread. Harvin's 40 is in the mid 4.2X range. Per the OU media guy, the fastest 40 on OU's entire team was 4.42 as I remember. That kind of surprised me - for a team to be as good as rack up as many yds as OU to have the fastest 40 time of 4.42.

Curly Bill
12/21/2008, 01:00 AM
Find CCG's introductory thread. Harvin's 40 is in the mid 4.2X range. Per the OU media guy, the fastest 40 on OU's entire team was 4.42 as I remember. That kind of surprised me - for a team to be as good as rack up as many yds as OU to have the fastest 40 time of 4.42.

We don't exagerate ours.

Curly Bill
12/21/2008, 01:04 AM
Hey look! Here comes Percy Harvin!

s24F5Qmehj8

cheezyq
12/21/2008, 01:07 AM
You just seem to struggling to comprehend what you post and what you quote. CCG said OU does not have "the same" speed. He did not say you don't have "any" speed, whatever the hell that means.

I knew you would pick at that. That's the essence of semantics. Clearly, the point is that Circle Jerk thinks that all UF players are faster than OU's players, therefore insinuating that OU does not have any speed.

I think he made a pretty good case for his assertions by posting some facts from objective sources. I don't recall anybody refuting his facts or conclusions, at least with anything concrete or contrary evidence. There are ways to argue against CCG's point, but I don't see you or others effectively doing that.

What "case" has he made for his "point"? Two articles giving track times for a couple of UF players? I'd hate to go to court with only that as my argument.

The problem is that you assume there is a NEED to argue against his "point". There isn't. I'm merely poking fun at the typical g8r fan assertion that all UF players possess this other-worldly speed that no other team in the universe can compare to. It's downright hilarious. In case you haven't noticed (well, you obviously haven't), we're laughing at you people around here. This kind of stuff is as funny as the annual recruiting arguments that we get from UT fans.

Circle City Gator
12/21/2008, 01:07 AM

No problem. Now that Murray is out for the game, I think having looked at your roster, that Branden Caleb (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/caleb_brandon00.html) will be your fastest guy on the field. Am I missing anybody?

Okay, on with the show.

The Top 30 Players in the State of Virginia, 2006 Recruiting Class (http://www.techsideline.com/footballrecruiting/instaterankings/tsl2006presummertop30.htm)

In terms of position, wide receivers are the class of this year’s class. Five wide receivers are ranked among the top 15 prospects, including three in the top five and four in the top 10. Headlining at number one overall is none other than Landstown’s Percy Harvin, who is rated as the top overall prospect in the country by Rivals.com.

Oh yes…just one more thing. Harvin is the best athlete in the state. In outdoor track, he captured the state championship in the following events – 100 meters, 200 meters, 4X100 relay, long jump and triple jump. He ran the 100 in 10.69 seconds. Harvin is a truly special talent.

1 – WR Percy Harvin – 6-0, 185, 4.4, Landstown
The top overall player in the country, Harvin is the total package at wide receiver. First and foremost, he’s a playmaker. With 4.3 40 speed, lightning quickness and excellent instincts, Harvin is a threat to score from anywhere on the field.

10 – WR Brandon Caleb – 6-2, 190, 4.5, Fork Union Military Academy
Yet another fantastic receiver prospect, Brandon Caleb is similar to Chris Bell in that he is an excellent overall athlete. He runs about the same as Bell as well at about a 4.5 in the 40. His combination of size, agility and hands impressed many at the Blacksburg Nike camp. And he seems to have good instincts as well.

Did I mention that Harvin won every event he and Caleb both competed in in high school track?

L-Boy
12/21/2008, 01:09 AM
This is classic...

Hey gators...which one of you will do it? Don't say we're good, don't say we might win.

Just say this one little thing: Say Oklahoma has speed too and that the big 12 on average is as fast as the SEC on average. Don't give the statement with a "but Florida..." or anything similar. Just say it.

Define "speed". If you define speed as players that run in the 4.4 to 4.6 range, yes they (OU) have speed. However, finding people who can run in the 4.4 range these days is not that uncommon. I would think pretty much any top 25 team has 4.4X speed. I would tend to define "speed", at least to the extent of it being unusual, as sub 4.4 - which OU does not have any, at least according to its own media guide.

Does the Big 12 have the same speed as the SEC? I have no idea. I tend to think that claims of signficant superiority of one of the major conferences over the other are exaggerated, whomever is making the claims. Head to head records and interconference play tend to refute that. So when fellow fans say the SEC is the best conference in the history of the universe, I don't buy it - as a conference, we tend to lose about as many as we win against other majors in bowls. By the same token, I don't buy that the Big 12 is as superior this year as many purport it to be. The offenses and schemes have gotten more productive, but that doesn't necessarily equate to interconference superiority.

Curly Bill
12/21/2008, 01:10 AM
Brandon Caleb our fastest player? That's absolutely stupid.

...and besides that -- he can't even see the field for us.

PDXsooner
12/21/2008, 01:11 AM
This analysis is making me more and more confident. OU 45 Florida 24

OU will kill Florida

Circle City Gator
12/21/2008, 01:13 AM
Brandon Caleb our fastest player? That's absolutely stupid.

...and besides that -- he can't even see the field for us.

It may be "absolutely stupid," but it reflects your own roster and reported 40 times, as well as google searches on every WR, DB and RB. Murray had your fastest reported time and he's out for the game. Who is faster, and upon what do you base that?

L-Boy
12/21/2008, 01:14 AM
We don't exagerate ours.

What evidence do you have that they are exaggerated? Many of these guys ran/run track, and posted world class times. That is a matter of public record. If you want to dismiss that because it makes you feel better, be my guest.

cheezyq
12/21/2008, 01:16 AM
No problem. Now that Murray is out for the game, I think having looked at your roster, that Branden Caleb (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/caleb_brandon00.html) will be your fastest guy on the field. Am I missing anybody?

Okay, on with the show.

The Top 30 Players in the State of Virginia, 2006 Recruiting Class (http://www.techsideline.com/footballrecruiting/instaterankings/tsl2006presummertop30.htm)

Did I mention that Harvin won every event he and Caleb both competed in in high school track?

Oh, well. I concede then, as you've clearly researched the OU roster in full and done a side-by-side comparison of each and every player.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/okla-m-footbl-stats.html

Why don't you go play-by-play or to the box score and see how involved Caleb is in the OU offense.

Curly Bill
12/21/2008, 01:17 AM
What evidence do you have that they are exaggerated? Many of these guys ran/run track, and posted world class times. That is a matter of public record. If you want to dismiss that because it makes you feel better, be my guest.

Gee thanks...

..but really, where do I get a copy of the talking points you guys keep aping?

Curly Bill
12/21/2008, 01:21 AM
It may be "absolutely stupid," but it reflects your own roster and reported 40 times, as well as google searches on every WR, DB and RB. Murray had your fastest reported time and he's out for the game. Who is faster, and upon what do you base that?

Reported 40 times? Do you realize how ghey that sounds? Reported 40 times?

It seems that U of F is the only school in the nation that gives a flying **** about reported 40 times.

cheezyq
12/21/2008, 01:21 AM
Define "speed". If you define speed as players that run in the 4.4 to 4.6 range, yes they (OU) have speed. However, finding people who can run in the 4.4 range these days is not that uncommon. I would think pretty much any top 25 team has 4.4X speed. I would tend to define "speed", at least to the extent of it being unusual, as sub 4.4 - which OU does not have any, at least according to its own media guide.

Oh, well, the MEDIA guide. Now there's some damn fine detective work there.

Does the Big 12 have the same speed as the SEC? I have no idea. I tend to think that claims of signficant superiority of one of the major conferences over the other are exaggerated, whomever is making the claims. Head to head records and interconference play tend to refute that. So when fellow fans say the SEC is the best conference in the history of the universe, I don't buy it - as a conference, we tend to lose about as many as we win against other majors in bowls. By the same token, I don't buy that the Big 12 is as superior this year as many purport it to be. The offenses and schemes have gotten more productive, but that doesn't necessarily equate to interconference superiority.

Whoa, hold on there LB. You're beginning to sound reasonable here. You better go intermingle with your Swamp buddies before we brainwash you. ;)

Curly Bill
12/21/2008, 01:24 AM
Reporter: Coach Meyer, how's this years recruiting class looking?

Meyer: They're fast, really, really fast.

Reporter: Can they play football?

Meyer: I don't know, did you hear me say they're really, really fast?

L-Boy
12/21/2008, 01:25 AM
I knew you would pick at that. That's the essence of semantics. Clearly, the point is that Circle Jerk thinks that all UF players are faster than OU's players, therefore insinuating that OU does not have any speed.

What "case" has he made for his "point"? Two articles giving track times for a couple of UF players? I'd hate to go to court with only that as my argument.

The problem is that you assume there is a NEED to argue against his "point". There isn't. I'm merely poking fun at the typical g8r fan assertion that all UF players possess this other-worldly speed that no other team in the universe can compare to. It's downright hilarious. In case you haven't noticed (well, you obviously haven't), we're laughing at you people around here. This kind of stuff is as funny as the annual recruiting arguments that we get from UT fans.

The point is that UF has at least a half dozen players faster than your fastest player, using documented times. I don't know how you argue against that except to put your hands on your ears and say "I can't hear you!!" So how does the rest of the respective squads compare? I don't know. I suspect UF has a slight advantage speed wise, but without evidence either way, I don't know.

Speed doesn't necessarily equate to football talent, but from what I have seen in this squad, it does. I recall a few years back UF had a world class sprinter on the roster. For the most part, all he did was return kicks, and did an OK but not spectacular job at it. These guys we have now are football players - they can translate their speed into actual yards gained.

I am glad you find this amusing. We will see how amused you are in 18 days.

cheezyq
12/21/2008, 01:26 AM

Well we all know that we can take PR departments and Internet sources at their word now, can't we? And I take offense to you leaving out our OL. I'll bet that Duke Robinson smokes Harvin in a race.

cheezyq
12/21/2008, 01:27 AM
Hey look! Here comes Percy Harvin!

s24F5Qmehj8

That video was edited, CB. That jet was actually strapped to Harvin's back with a chain.

Desert Sapper
12/21/2008, 01:28 AM
Good lord.

Fast 40 times are somewhat important, but only in the open field and generally (for a running back) after getting past the second level (LBs). In other words, quickness and acceleration are far more important than speed initially. Demps, Harvin, and Rainey are all three very quick and accelerate to the hole very fast. Chris Brown and Mossis Madu are also very quick and accelerate fast. The 'separation' is that if Demps, Harvin, or Rainey make it through the hole without being touched AND make the LB miss (or follow the block to the opening), they CAN and WILL run a track meet on whomever is left.

Our strength (and our 'separation') is our receiving corps (to include our TE). Like Jerry Rice (who ran something like a 4.6 40), our senior wideouts run great routes and can put a wicked double move on a DB, especially a very aggressive DB looking to jump a route (of which UF has a plethora). So while Manny Johnson or Juaquin Iglesias MIGHT outrun the UF secondary once they catch the ball, the fact that Sam hits them in stride is twice as important just as the fact that they made the Corner bite on the quick out is twice as important.

Speed is important, but it isn't the only thing in the world, especially not in a football game.

Curly Bill
12/21/2008, 01:30 AM
The point is that UF has at least a half dozen players faster than your fastest player, using documented times. I don't know how you argue against that except to put your hands on your ears and say "I can't hear you!!" So how does the rest of the respective squads compare? I don't know. I suspect UF has a slight advantage speed wise, but without evidence either way, I don't know.

Speed doesn't necessarily equate to football talent, but from what I have seen in this squad, it does. I recall a few years back UF had a world class sprinter on the roster. For the most part, all he did was return kicks, and did an OK but not spectacular job at it. These guys we have now are football players - they can translate their speed into actual yards gained.

I am glad you find this amusing. We will see how amused you are in 18 days.

I find it ghey.

L-Boy
12/21/2008, 01:31 AM
Oh, well, the MEDIA guide. Now there's some damn fine detective work there.

Whoa, hold on there LB. You're beginning to sound reasonable here. You better go intermingle with your Swamp buddies before we brainwash you. ;)

Its the OU media guide, so if you want to assert that the people who provide such information (OU Athletic Dept?) are not competent, then feel free.

I think if you actually read some of my posts, I am not your typical homer. I call it as I see it. I argue against homerism on Gator boards, and I argue against it here too.

You're getting kind of soft here - no obligatory "idiot" or like references thrown my way.

L-Boy
12/21/2008, 01:33 AM
That video was edited, CB. That jet was actually strapped to Harvin's back with a chain.

There is a long history of Gators wearing Jetpacks on Gator boards, but it is mostly an inside joke.

Curly Bill
12/21/2008, 01:33 AM
Its the OU media guide, so if you want to assert that the people who provide such information (OU Athletic Dept?) are not competent, then feel free.

I assert that 40 times are vastly overrated when it comes to ranking football players, and we give them the importance they deserve.

...unlike U of F fans who apparently set around getting off by reciting 40 times to one another.

L-Boy
12/21/2008, 01:35 AM
Good lord.

Fast 40 times are somewhat important, but only in the open field and generally (for a running back) after getting past the second level (LBs). In other words, quickness and acceleration are far more important than speed initially. Demps, Harvin, and Rainey are all three very quick and accelerate to the hole very fast. Chris Brown and Mossis Madu are also very quick and accelerate fast. The 'separation' is that if Demps, Harvin, or Rainey make it through the hole without being touched AND make the LB miss (or follow the block to the opening), they CAN and WILL run a track meet on whomever is left.

Our strength (and our 'separation') is our receiving corps (to include our TE). Like Jerry Rice (who ran something like a 4.6 40), our senior wideouts run great routes and can put a wicked double move on a DB, especially a very aggressive DB looking to jump a route (of which UF has a plethora). So while Manny Johnson or Juaquin Iglesias MIGHT outrun the UF secondary once they catch the ball, the fact that Sam hits them in stride is twice as important just as the fact that they made the Corner bite on the quick out is twice as important.

Speed is important, but it isn't the only thing in the world, especially not in a football game.

I don't disagree with any of that.

cheezyq
12/21/2008, 01:41 AM

I'm too tired to argue the lameness of this argument.

I think if you actually read some of my posts, I am not your typical homer. I call it as I see it. I argue against homerism on Gator boards, and I argue against it here too.

I've read all your posts. You don't post football-related information. You watch your fellow g8rs spout off on UF speed and post a couple of track times, compare it to a 2nd team OU WR, and use that to condemn all Sooners as slow and pat them on the back. That, sir, is the essence of homerism.

You're getting kind of soft here - no obligatory "idiot" or like references thrown my way.

No need. Your posts imply the term.

L-Boy
12/21/2008, 01:59 AM
I'm too tired to argue the lameness of this argument.

I've read all your posts. You don't post football-related information. You watch your fellow g8rs spout off on UF speed and post a couple of track times, compare it to a 2nd team OU WR, and use that to condemn all Sooners as slow and pat them on the back. That, sir, is the essence of homerism.

No need. Your posts imply the term.

Now that's more along the lines of what I would expect of you - off point, devoid of factual content, but filled with vacuous contempt. Good show, sportsfan!

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/21/2008, 02:47 AM
Umm Do you realize that Demps only gets 5 carries a game because of some reason. The most logical reason being that if he carried the ball 15 to 20 times he would get hurt because being fast doesn't make you strong. Perhaps the same thing could be said about Harvin, he got beat down from his 8 touches a game this year. And as for Chris Rainey..seriously is his 1 yard against Alabama supposed to be intimidating(but to be fair he did go over 100 against Arkansas and THE Citadel). Chris Brown has more carries than these three? WHY? Is it because he runs a slow fourty time? No it is because he is 5'11" 210 pounds and can withstand 195 hits without getting hurt or slowing down. So yeah I will take his 4.4 time over their 4.2 times because I can give him the ball 27 times like we did at Missouri. It is ironic that we run the gimmick offense but have 2 running back averaging over 10 carries a game..whereas Florida has one person with over 100 carries and his name is Tebow

Crucifax Autumn
12/21/2008, 03:09 AM
I'd rather get hit by a 4.2 guy who's a pansy than get smacked by 4.4 Brown any day.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/21/2008, 04:18 AM
Cue the Florida fan saying "You can be a pansy when you run a 4.2 because no one can grab you (insert high school track link here)"

Vaevictis
12/21/2008, 05:07 AM

Perhaps you've heard of Jerry Rice. Prior to being drafted, I understand NFL scouts timed him in the 4.7's. If I recall correctly, he put up some respectable numbers despite this apparent shortcoming.

In the 4.7's, I bet that made him slower than just about every DB in the league. It didn't matter; he still owns all the records.

Look, I know your guys are fast off the line. Great. But, as other folks have said, this isn't a track meet. I don't have any data, but just to illustrate: I know I usually run just a tad slower after getting wrecked by a 180-300lb mass going 18-20 mph.

How much of a drop-off do these guys suffer from wear and tear? I don't know, and I'm not sure anyone really knows.

So, here's what we know: First play from scrimmage, several of your guys are going to run faster than our guys.

Here's what we don't know: Second play from scrimmage, what's the speed difference going to look like? (or third, or fourth, or fifth as the grind keeps happening).

Vaevictis
12/21/2008, 05:54 AM
Another thing to keep in mind is that unless you know how all the times you're quoting were started, there is error that you may not be accounting for -- even if the dash was "laser timed."

Depending on the setup, the time may be from when the runner started moving or from when an external stimulus indicated the start of the run to the runner.

Because the lower bound for human reaction times is about 100ms, this can easily mean that in order to compare numbers, you have to add or subtract at least 100ms from someone's time. Keep in mind that this is the lower bound. As I understand it, even world-class sprinters are typically in the 150ms range.

In other words, our guys could be 100ms+ faster than you think... or 100ms+ slower. Unless you know how the runs were timed, you really can't compare.

Crucifax Autumn
12/21/2008, 06:45 AM
And we're better! lol

NawlensGator
12/21/2008, 07:59 AM
Interesting. This is dejavu since we heard the same crap about tOSU heisman QB who turned out to be a pretender. Preparing for this heisman winner will be no different. We've done it. What's questionable is Okie's preparation for the '04 BCS game against an SEC team we beat. What tOSU's heisman QB learned on gameday is that it's a little tougher to look over and evaluate all these complicated 6 pass options when you've only got 1 or 2 seconds to throw before getting hammered. Sammy has been given ridiculous pocket time in conference play that won't be available on the 8th. That is why defense wins championships. That is why Okie hasn't won one in a while.

Circle City Gator
12/21/2008, 08:25 AM
Gee thanks...

..but really, where do I get a copy of the talking points you guys keep aping?

From the United States Track and Field Olympic Trials. :D

King Crimson
12/21/2008, 08:42 AM
Interesting. This is dejavu since we heard the same crap about tOSU heisman QB who turned out to be a pretender. Preparing for this heisman winner will be no different. We've done it. What's questionable is Okie's preparation for the '04 BCS game against an SEC team we beat. What tOSU's heisman QB learned on gameday is that it's a little tougher to look over and evaluate all these complicated 6 pass options when you've only got 1 or 2 seconds to throw before getting hammered. Sammy has been given rediculous pocket time in conference play that won't be available on the 8th. That is why defense wins championships. That is why Okie hasn't won one in a while.

you make some great points. especially that one about 4 years ago...because that is like so relevant.

and that you go the "rediculous" route....wow, you are an internet hero. maybe you'll bust a "OU fans are dillusional" or "the Gators are dominate" in your next revelation.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/21/2008, 08:43 AM

Our defense is known for being speedy. Travis Lewis is undersized and fast. You guys can't say "Lewis is too small, Tebow can run over him" and also say "Our rbs are so fast they will turn the corner and see daylight before your LBs know who has the ball"

Your 40 times are not in full pads. With a helmet. LMAO. They could time out at exactly the same times as our defense.

12/21/2008, 08:49 AM
We hit them in the mouth early and don't let up until the game is outside their reach. It is what we have done.

adoniijahsooner
12/21/2008, 08:59 AM
Interesting. This is dejavu since we heard the same crap about tOSU heisman QB who turned out to be a pretender. Preparing for this heisman winner will be no different. We've done it. What's questionable is Okie's preparation for the '04 BCS game against an SEC team we beat. What tOSU's heisman QB learned on gameday is that it's a little tougher to look over and evaluate all these complicated 6 pass options when you've only got 1 or 2 seconds to throw before getting hammered. Sammy has been given rediculous pocket time in conference play that won't be available on the 8th. That is why defense wins championships. That is why Okie hasn't won one in a while.

For the 100th time. WE ARE NOT OSU!!!! You keep believing because you shut down a NCAA ex-con, who came into the game with a beer belly, and no passing skills, that translates into stopping Sam Bradford. I guess we will find out gator.:pop:

adoniijahsooner
12/21/2008, 09:06 AM
Harvin ran a 10.69 in that article and we are supposed to be impressed? Wow. you can not be serious.

catsigater
12/21/2008, 09:12 AM
We hit them in the mouth early and don't let up until the game is outside their reach. It is what we have done.

Hit a Gator in the mouth, yewl draw back a stump.

adoniijahsooner
12/21/2008, 09:19 AM
Hit a Gator in the mouth, yewl draw back a stump.

lol, i think we'll put it to the test.

12/21/2008, 09:21 AM
;)

Oh yeah? Hit a horse-pig in the mouth and you'll learn how to spell.

G8trGr8t
12/21/2008, 09:31 AM
Sounds just like Bama. Hit em in the mouth....

We hit back you know, and hit harder. UF is not just speed, there are some real brutes on the team, starting with the QB.

So keep thinking that you are going to run into UF real hard and they are going to coil up and cry. LSU, Georgia, FSU, Bama all thought the same thing. Seems to work for us.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/21/2008, 09:35 AM
DID I HEAR SOMEONE SAY REDICULOUS (http://www.rediculous.co.uk/typo.htm)?!!!!

cheezyq
12/21/2008, 10:36 AM

We hit back you know, and hit harder. UF is not just speed, there are some real brutes on the team, starting with the QB.

So keep thinking that you are going to run into UF real hard and they are going to coil up and cry. LSU, Georgia, FSU, Bama all thought the same thing. Seems to work for us.

Oh, here we go. Not only is UF FASTER than OU, but they're STRONGER TOO! Come on GG, CCG, and LB, let's bring out the bench press statistics!

We...

Are...

SKROOD! SKROOOOOOOD, I TELL YOU!!!!

catsigater
12/21/2008, 11:07 AM
Oh, here we go. Not only is UF FASTER than OU, but they're STRONGER TOO! Come on GG, CCG, and LB, let's bring out the bench press statistics!

We...

Are...

You're finally catching on. ;)

CK Sooner
12/21/2008, 11:10 AM

There is only one problem, were not Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Florida State.

There's only one....

delhalew
12/21/2008, 11:54 AM
And Nawlensgator joins the ranks of gators that think Bradford is like the Heisman statue back there.

Sam has great foootwork and can throw a perfect pass to the endzone rocked back on his heels. If you flush him from the pocket he will become more dangerous. Most important he has icewater in his veins. Bradford is the one area we DONT have to be concerned with. Bank on it.

L-Boy
12/21/2008, 01:41 PM

We...

Are...

Percy Harvin, WR, can probably Bench press more than 90% of the players on the team. I'll bet Tebow can bench press as much as half of them.

soonerfan28
12/21/2008, 01:50 PM
Florida has nobody that can effectively run the hurry up on scout team that has made OU the highest scoring team in recent history and the first to score 60+ in 5 straight games. Florida has speed and maybe Brantley possess a few of Bradfords skills but Bradford is to good in the hurry up and that defense won't have a f**kin clue come the 8th and they'll still be trying to figure out what hit em for a long time afterwards.

BetterSoonerThanLater
12/21/2008, 02:36 PM
speed schmeed.... all i care about is how fast the ball gets from, bradfords hand to gresham's, or iglasias, or broyles, or johnson, or eldridge, or.....well, you get the point. Also, we are pretty quick to open holes for our RB's as well.

personally, individual speed means squat to me. i'm more interested in our no huddle, fast-paced play calling... lets see how fast that happens come Jan 8th.

in the meantime, all you gayters talking about UF's speed... would you all please QUICKLY leave and take you nonsense with you. all year we've heard about how good other teams are, blah, blah, blah.....ooops, one by one they fell. (yes i know we lost to Tex-***) We here at soonerfans enjoy logical, factual conversations, and even enjoy a spirited debate now and again, but seriously, this jibba jabba is gettin' nowhere. both teams are good, both sets of fans expect their team to win. at least we admit that UF is going to be tough. but when face with the same opportunity to remain humble, you make asinine attempts to seem as gods greatest gift to football, teblows this and teblows that. keep it up! we'll stay humble and you can come in over-confidant, and we'll serve you your humble pie after the game.

sorry for the long post, i only wish a was a FASTER typer. maybe my backup can do it better next time :)

L-Boy
12/21/2008, 03:09 PM
Florida has nobody that can effectively run the hurry up on scout team that has made OU the highest scoring team in recent history and the first to score 60+ in 5 straight games. Florida has speed and maybe Brantley possess a few of Bradfords skills but Bradford is to good in the hurry up and that defense won't have a f**kin clue come the 8th and they'll still be trying to figure out what hit em for a long time afterwards.

Again, I have to give props to this unique argument crafted on this board - "you can't replicate our team with your scout team, so ure gonna get throttled".

I am sure OK's 3rd string and redshirts will have no problem replicating Tebow, Harvin, Demps etc.

delhalew
12/21/2008, 03:16 PM
Again, I have to give props to this unique argument crafted on this board - "you can't replicate our team with your scout team, so ure gonna get throttled".

I am sure OK's 3rd string and redshirts will have no problem replicating Tebow, Harvin, Demps etc.

I don't think thats the point. Although we prolly have a running back that can pass as well as Tebow;) Harvin and Demps will prolly have better acceleration than we can replicate. Don't forget about Madu.

The point about replication of the tempo and looks of our offense is valid. YOU NEED TO TAKE THAT SERIOUSLY. You have no one that reads and passes like Sam. That is the point.

Curly Bill
12/21/2008, 03:59 PM
Serious question gatorbaters:

Is the reason you guys come on here and throw out 40 times & track times is because everyone on your team outside Tebow has no real football accomplishments to talk about? I mean you can't talk about the huge rushing numbers someone put up because it hasn't happened, or the huge receiving yards someone has because that hasn't happened either.

OK we get it -- the best athletic accomplishments for your football players have taken place in track. Fortunate for us I guess that we will in fact be playing a football game and not having a track meet.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/21/2008, 04:47 PM
I think the implication they are making is that OU's defense has struggled against slower teams so obviously they will really have trouble stopping the run game of a team that does seem to have problems doing anything ground related. The problem with what Florida is trying to do is that they don't have a 20 to 30 carry back that shorten the game. The way to beat OU is to limit their possessions and attempt to get 3 or 4, 3 and outs. That is really hard to do without a possession running back. That is why Tebow has to play great and work the clock

L-Boy
12/21/2008, 04:57 PM
Serious question gatorbaters:

Is the reason you guys come on here and throw out 40 times & track times is because everyone on your team outside Tebow has no real football accomplishments to talk about? I mean you can't talk about the huge rushing numbers someone put up because it hasn't happened, or the huge receiving yards someone has because that hasn't happened either.

OK we get it -- the best athletic accomplishments for your football players have taken place in track. Fortunate for us I guess that we will in fact be playing a football game and not having a track meet.

So what "football accomplishments" are you talking about. UF has a handful of players with rings (including Tebow and Harvin) how many rings do any of OK players have?

Aside from that, I guess once again you are referring to the teams offensive stats. The whole argument coming from some of you is "look at our other worldly like offensive stats". Yes, OU does have MORE total yds, but the yds per play is about the same, slight advantage to UF. So basically your no huddle gets you some more plays.

Again, you revert to this argument that since no one Gator has put up obscene total yardage, that somehow that is a sign of weakness. You ignore the fact that UF has a plethora of backs that average 7 and 8 yds a carry, so we can distribute the ball around. Would you rather have 4 guys that average 7-8 yds a carry, or one guy that averages 5? Total rushing yds, UF beats OU.

Same goes for receiving - the Gators distribute around quite a bit - so no one guy puts up gaudy individual total yds stats - although yds per catch UF is one of the nations highest.

Last year the UF offense was for the most part Tebow + Harvin - and the Gators tooks some criticism for that - partly justified (although offensive production was not a problem last year, it was Gators young inexperienced defense). Now that UF has multiple weapons, the prospect of engaging in division and the fact that a bigger denominator (#of players) decreases the total yds per player seems to have stupified some on this board.

Finally, no discussion on defense, or special teams. Look back at prior national championships. More often than not the best defense wins, not the best offense.

Thanks again for trying though.

Curly Bill
12/21/2008, 05:02 PM
So what "football accomplishments" are you talking about. UF has a handful of players with rings (including Tebow and Harvin) how many rings do any of OK players have?

Aside from that, I guess once again you are referring to the teams offensive stats. The whole argument coming from some of you is "look at our other worldly like offensive stats". Yes, OU does have MORE total yds, but the yds per play is about the same, slight advantage to UF. So basically your no huddle gets you some more plays.

Again, you revert to this argument that since no one Gator has put up obscene total yardage, that somehow that is a sign of weakness. You ignore the fact that UF has a plethora of backs that average 7 and 8 yds a carry, so we can distribute the ball around. Would you rather have 4 guys that average 7-8 yds a carry, or one guy that averages 5? Total rushing yds, UF beats OU.

Same goes for receiving - the Gators distribute around quite a bit - so no one guy puts up gaudy individual total yds stats - although yds per catch UF is one of the nations highest.

Last year the UF offense was for the most part Tebow + Harvin - and the Gators tooks some criticism for that - partly justified (although offensive production was not a problem last year, it was Gators young inexperienced defense). Now that UF has multiple weapons, the prospect of engaging in division and the fact that a bigger denominator (#of players) decreases the total yds per player seems to have stupified some on this board.

Finally, no discussion on defense, or special teams. Look back at prior national championships. More often than not the best defense wins, not the best offense.

Thanks again for trying though.

You could have just said: Beyond Tebow we have no "go-to" players.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/21/2008, 05:13 PM
Well Ole Miss held you to 3.5 yards a carry and Alabama 3.4 so it isn't like your running game can not be slowed down. The keys to this game our can OU tackle in space against fast athletes and can Tebow make enough plays to keep Bradford and the offense off the field. Florida will be able to get to Bradford at times so his poise is going to be important. Florida is going to have to decide where they want to limit us. They can control the line of scrimmage and negate the run or Stoops will run the ball 40 times. If they stop the run, they are going to have a hard time accounting for Gresham because your linebackers and safeties will have trouble covering him in space and if you key on him, Broyles, Manny, and Iglesias are incredibly good at getting open and making a few guys miss. The key to the game is to limit the running game and making sure those 8 or 9 yard passes stay 8 or 9 yard passes and not 40 or 50 yard passes. Florida will need some breaks to win and so will OU if they are to win. These are two dynamic and unique teams that are hard to prep for.

L-Boy
12/21/2008, 05:35 PM
Well Ole Miss held you to 3.5 yards a carry and Alabama 3.4 so it isn't like your running game can not be slowed down. The keys to this game our can OU tackle in space against fast athletes and can Tebow make enough plays to keep Bradford and the offense off the field. Florida will be able to get to Bradford at times so his poise is going to be important. Florida is going to have to decide where they want to limit us. They can control the line of scrimmage and negate the run or Stoops will run the ball 40 times. If they stop the run, they are going to have a hard time accounting for Gresham because your linebackers and safeties will have trouble covering him in space and if you key on him, Broyles, Manny, and Iglesias are incredibly good at getting open and making a few guys miss. The key to the game is to limit the running game and making sure those 8 or 9 yard passes stay 8 or 9 yard passes and not 40 or 50 yard passes. Florida will need some breaks to win and so will OU if they are to win. These are two dynamic and unique teams that are hard to prep for.

I don't argue with any of that. Yes, the UF running attack can be slowed a bit. However, against Bama we were without Harvin, and I would argue that the Bama D is the best D we played all year and is better than the OU D. You may see some more of Moody - for the most part he has been a 2nd half back, but he did come in Q4 against Bama and run a few plays to help run some clock. He is little bit more of a conventional back - little more power than the other speed backs.

There is no arguing that OK offense will be the biggest challenge UF D has faced all year, by far. OU is going to get some yds and some points - the only thing that may slow down OU is turnovers - the UF DB's and linebackers have picked off quite a few, although I do understand that Bradford and OU takes care of the ball pretty well. I think turnovers may decide this game. UF has been one of the best in the country in that dept. Ole Miss was the one exception, and it cost us.

DCGator
12/21/2008, 07:55 PM

This is where I think the original poster got this entire thing wrong. Prepping for another team is not about having players that exactly match the other team, but being able to replicate the opponents schemes and plays with somewhat similar players. While Bradford has special skills, the plays that OU runs are not very unusual. There are ways of replicating a no-huddle fast pace O in practice. Even if the ball is not always thrown exactly on time, the WR can simulate the reception to allow the DB to practice being in position.

On the other hand, it is very difficult to replicate the brand of spread-option that we run. There are multiple different formations with multiple sets. It forces the D to play a very disciplined D and it takes time to prepare and is tough to simulate. I think both teams will have time enough to prepare. What it will come down to is execution and who comes up with the better game plan.

Crucifax Autumn
12/21/2008, 08:01 PM
On the other hand, it is very difficult to replicate the brand of spread-option that we run. There are multiple different formations with multiple sets. It forces the D to play a very disciplined D and it takes time to prepare and is tough to simulate. I think both teams will have time enough to prepare. What it will come down to is execution and who comes up with the better game plan.

Have you watched an OU game? Read any of these threads? We have the ability to run a crapload of formations with the same set and do it without a huddle and without the D getting to adjust. When you guys change sets, the opposing D has the right to substitute. When we do it you gotta either go with what you have, get an illegal substitution penalty, or get caught out of position on a quick snap.

Curly Bill
12/21/2008, 08:09 PM
Have you watched an OU game? Read any of these threads? We have the ability to run a crapload of formations with the same set and do it without a huddle and without the D getting to adjust. When you guys change sets, the opposing D has the right to substitute. When we do it you gotta either go with what you have, get an illegal substitution penalty, or get caught out of position on a quick snap.

They're so fast they'll be able to substitute without the officials seeing it.

...and caught out of position? With their preternatural speed? Surely you jest!

Dan Thompson
12/21/2008, 08:22 PM
The may very well end up being one of those games where the last team with the ball wins the game.

Turn overs will play an enormous part in this game as well as penalties.

Crucifax Autumn
12/21/2008, 08:22 PM
Yeah, their speed slipped my mind. perhaps someone should point it out more frequently so I won't forget. I've just not heard enough about it.

gatorsownu2
12/21/2008, 08:25 PM
Yeah, their speed slipped my mind. perhaps someone should point it out more frequently so I won't forget. I've just not heard enough about it.

The GATORS are the fastest team in America and you heard it first right here!;)

Curly Bill
12/21/2008, 08:25 PM

It's an easy mistake to make. The gatorbaters rarely mention it themselves, preferring instead to talk about things that matter much more when it comes to football.

Crucifax Autumn
12/21/2008, 08:34 PM
Like missionary work?

Curly Bill
12/21/2008, 08:40 PM
Like missionary work?

It's what makes him the football player he is...selfless devotion to others. :D

Crucifax Autumn
12/21/2008, 08:44 PM
...and all of it conveniently on camera...

Curly Bill
12/21/2008, 08:46 PM
...and all of it conveniently on camera...

...but at least he doesn't talk about it all the time. :O

SoonerBoognish
12/21/2008, 08:54 PM
You're only as fast as you say you are, I guess. Then you engrave it in plastic so nobody forgets.

I don't see how any reasonable person would be able to use those times to determine anything. Since they are measured by different people, using potentially different methods, the margin of error there would be pretty considerable. Like someone else said, the reaction of the person running or timing the run could result in a considerable difference in the times if the method of timing isn't the same. It seems to me you can't even be sure you're comparing apples to apples.

If the same person, using the same method, under the same conditions measured these times they may mean something. Even then it's not even close to the only factor in a play.

Hokiefan
12/21/2008, 09:00 PM
[B][I]
Watched several UF games this year, that's exactly why I'm confident saying OU has seen at least 6 better than Tebow. Look, he's got about a half dozen highlight plays from this year that we see 50 times every day, other than that he's just been a pretty good QB, sorry this shakes the base of your world gator fans but it's true, his stats don't lie. Just fine but average. He really wasn't even on the Heisman radar until the last two weeks when the media realized they needed to manufacture an east-coast attraction.

You're hopeless, clueless, and very much in the minority regarding your opinions of Tebow.

As for the game, I think both teams are outstanding, but am still slightly more impressed by Florida averaging 45 ppg in the SEC than by OU averaging 54 in the Big 12.

gatorsownu2
12/21/2008, 09:10 PM
You're hopeless, clueless, and very much in the minority regarding your opinions of Tebow.

As for the game, I think both teams are outstanding, but am still slightly more impressed by Florida averaging 45 ppg in the SEC than by OU averaging 54 in the Big 12.

Welcome Hokiefan! You're gonna be real popular around here with those kind of statements:D :pop:

liti-gator
12/21/2008, 09:25 PM

Really? Six?

JLEW1818
12/21/2008, 09:25 PM

Tims stats would still not be anywhere close even if he played every minute.

L-Boy
12/21/2008, 09:58 PM
Really? Six?

Gators, go watch some films from this year, Bradford will have six receiving options every play, regardless of formation, he looks off defenders like no college QB in history, you're D backs won't know who he's throwing to until the ball leaves his hand and he puts it on a dime. Your players haven't seen this level of QB play in their entire careers, much less from the scout team

Dude, you haven't heard of the Big 12 tackle eligible spread exception clause 14B. Yeah, and he looks off defenders like no college QB in history - as he works his way down the progression of 6 choices - all in a matter of about 2 seconds.

cheezyq
12/21/2008, 10:07 PM
Really? Six?

Duh, the defense counts, too. ;)

DCGator
12/22/2008, 09:15 AM

Yes I have watched OU games, apparently you have not watched UF games. What is difficult about the UF O is that we run many different plays out of the same formation, and do a lot of shifts. We go from a 5 wide, no back set and shift to a option formation on the same play, not between plays. It's nearly impossible to know what play we are going to run based on the formation, which keeps the D guessing and slows them down. It takes a second for the D to read the play after it starts, which often freezes the LBs, leaving one or more players open. It's not impossible to defend, it's just very tough if you don't play against it frequently.

Desert Sapper
12/22/2008, 09:50 AM
...Travis Lewis is undersized and fast. ...

Travis Lewis is 6'2" and 232 pounds. I'm not sure, but that only seems undersized to me if we were running a 3-4. The only LB on the Gators team that is listed as bigger is Spikes at 6'3" and 245. I agree that Box and Clayton are slightly undersized at 220, but like you said, all of our LBs PLAY fast.

Desert Sapper
12/22/2008, 10:27 AM
Really? Six?

Sam's so good, he can throw it to himself and score. :texan:

OKC-SLC
12/22/2008, 11:34 AM
I think turnovers may decide this game. UF has been one of the best in the country in that dept.

Guess who else is pretty good in that department?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/stats/2008/divia/team/index.html

WildBlueSooner
12/22/2008, 11:52 AM
If I believe you, then i would distrust 9 out of 10 of so called sport analysts out there saying Tim is supper man will give FL a win.
Furthermore, if I trust you then i should stop reading those false propaganda of ESPN, Sporting News,... from now on.

Tim is supper man. He eats manwhiches and t.v. dinners for supper!:pop:

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/22/2008, 11:57 AM
You with your fancy stats...you do realize that Florida has 8 G6 playas!!!

boomermagic
12/22/2008, 12:42 PM

Here goes:

OMG, There went my keyboard.. If florida was half as good as you seem to think the nfl would take every player you had RIGHT NOW and you would have to forfoit the National Championship game.. After we beat your *** you'll see what we are talking about instead of constantly praising your own team.. GIVE ME A FREAKIN BREAK !

boomermagic
12/22/2008, 12:51 PM

Yeah I talked to someone at a mississippi school and they just weren't really all that impressed...:D

HiFiGator
12/22/2008, 01:31 PM
OMG, There went my keyboard.. If florida was half as good as you seem to think the nfl would take every player you had RIGHT NOW and you would have to forfoit the National Championship game.. After we beat your *** you'll see what we are talking about instead of constantly praising your own team.. GIVE ME A FREAKIN BREAK !

I think you are missing the point. It's probably that stellar education from the "Harvard of the midwest," known as Oklahoma ... (laughing, ducking under cover, waiting for lightning ...

You do realize that your cohort said that OU would win, essentially because you guys are so talented that your scout team is littered with players who can duplicate the Florida team. I merely pointed out how absurd an idea that is. As for the NFL raiding out roster, give it time. You will see plenty of Gators on NFL rosters next season -- yet again.

soonervegas
12/22/2008, 02:08 PM
I like that UF fans think OU is slow. They pretty much have us pegged as Ohio State from 2 years ago....here's hoping your team buys into the same line of thinking. The speed difference between OU and UF (from 1-22) will be razor thin if existent at all.

starclassic tama
12/22/2008, 02:50 PM
i only watched two florida games this year. one was ole miss on KSBI and the other was the SEC title game. neither was i overly impressed. alabama didn't have a quarterback that could even compete with florida, so there was no way in hell they were ever going to win that game. football is a game highly dependent on quarterback play. the other game was ole miss, and tebow certainly didn't impress much. he looked pretty poor throwing the ball in both games, and the only time florida was shown adversity was on a simple quarterback draw on 4th down, and tebow got stuffed like a christmas turkey. i think it will be a good game with florida close at half like texas, but tebow can't throw it in the second half like colt could to keep up. i would also be willing to bet anyone who will listen that tebow will not have an impact on the game running, he will be lucky to have 50 yards rushing.

starclassic tama
12/22/2008, 03:16 PM
i mean you would think the greatest leader in the history of college football could get 1 yard at home against ole miss

Desert Sapper
12/23/2008, 12:15 AM
As for the NFL raiding out roster, give it time. You will see plenty of Gators on NFL rosters next season -- yet again.

I think you are very right.

Right now, the Gators have 30 NFL players, roughly a quarter of them from when Stoops was the DC.

The Sooners have 25. Only Kelly Gregg did not play for Stoops.

Not totally relevant. Just interesting. Carry on.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/23/2008, 12:29 AM
But did Stoops have G6 speed running backs!

soonerfan28
12/23/2008, 11:45 AM
I know this has been said before but OU's defense is built on speed as is Florida's. We can keep up with the skill positions that Florida have and yes Tebow may be a running QB but he's not in the 4.5 range like he might have been coming out of HS. Travis Lewis will have a big game unless they pull a Poke and cut him down like what happened to Box. If the think that they can consistently get Harvin in space then they are wrong. They might get out to a good start, because teams have done that to OU this year, but we will settle down and make the proper adjustments.

PhiDeltBeers
12/23/2008, 12:46 PM
This just in...........

OU just scored again.