PDA

View Full Version : After hanging out with a group of "SEC fans" last night...

tbl
12/20/2008, 11:51 AM
I want this win more than ever. All these people were Dawg fans, yet they disrespect the Sooners & the Big 12 as a whole this year, still touting that there's no way we could hang with the almighty infallibility that is any team in the SEC. :mad: It makes me sick and I want to win this one soooo bad... which if we do, I'm going to be an INCREDIBLY poor winner this time. I'm usually pretty cool when we get a big win, but this time I'm going to be so over the top and in their business they're going to want to punch me in my Crimson and Cream painted face. Actually... I probably won't. I'll play it low key, which should have an even better effect.

So coaches, players, trainers, and everybody else involved in actually having an outcome in this game... Plan well, get your heads on straight, play hard, make the plays, run your routes, pick up your blocks, make the tackles, make the passes, don't turn the ball over, don't get stupid penalties, kick the friggin ball, and do everything you can to win. PLEASE!

As we get closer to this game, I'm realizing how much is truly riding on it, for Stoops, his team, the fanbase, and OU tradition itself. I'm freaking the flip out... :eek:

ETGator1
12/20/2008, 11:55 AM
When you hang out with dogs, you get fleas.

delhalew
12/20/2008, 11:56 AM
Im curious to see if SEC fans can be good losers or if the excuses will start flying.

adoniijahsooner
12/20/2008, 11:59 AM
Oh yeah, they will say that tebow must be cherishing some secret unconfessed sin, or else God would have given him the victory.

WileyCoyote
12/20/2008, 12:00 PM
My feelings.....:pop:

Supply your own captions........

SoonerTank
12/20/2008, 12:01 PM
I'm with you on this one tbl. The only contact I have with SEC fans are the Arkansas fans. The opinion they have is that anyone who plays in the SEC is vastly superior to anyone else simply because they play in the SEC.

adoniijahsooner
12/20/2008, 12:15 PM
I'm with you on this one tbl. The only contact I have with SEC fans are the Arkansas fans. The opinion they have is that anyone who plays in the SEC is vastly superior to anyone else simply because they play in the SEC.

Didnt Arkansas get pummeled by Texas like 52-10? Wow.

Flagstaffsooner
12/20/2008, 12:21 PM
Son, you are hanging around with the wrong crowd.:(

tbl
12/20/2008, 12:28 PM
Yeah, but overall they're actually some good friends of mine. When you live out here, you have to be willing to radically disagree with these guys on football.

tbl
12/20/2008, 12:30 PM
Im curious to see if SEC fans can be good losers or if the excuses will start flying.

"It was a down year for the SEC. Everybody knows that. Any other year Vandy could have beat OU."

and so on...

SoonerTank
12/20/2008, 12:31 PM
Didnt Arkansas get pummeled by Texas like 52-10? Wow.

I'm just not the type to make fun of anyones team when they lose. I tend to treat people the way I want to be treated. After that game, one of the fans came up to me and said, "Texas is the best team in the B12 but they are no where near as good as Alabama." I didn't laugh at him, I just shook my head. I honestly enjoy OUr resident whorn's comments compared to these fans.:mad:

SoonerTank
12/20/2008, 12:33 PM

You can say that again. Unfortunately, it isn't by choice. I really like the pay here and they work here to!!!:D

WileyCoyote
12/20/2008, 12:36 PM

Ya know...I got to thinkin about your situation in ATL, SEC etc etc....so to help you....here are a few little bullets that you might need for your gun....

All this recent history braggadocio that the SEC fans tout is only as a result of loosing....it all started with the Civil War.....they still haven't gotten over that.....lol........

WE and a handfull of other programs.....define college football tradition......tell your SEC 'friends' to back-up ON these records...but if you want to be nice then I understand.

"Pucker-up SEC, I got just the place for you to kiss".

7 National Championships

41 Conference Championships

40 Bowl Appearances

24 Bowl Championships

5 Heisman Trophy Winners

63 National Award Winners

144 All-Americans

436 First Team All-Conference Players

37 NFL First-Round Picks

330 NFL Draft picks

Record 47 game winning streak

31 10+ win seasons which is the most 10+ win seasons in the history of College Football

The Sooners have an all-time record of 781-294-53.

Winningest College Football Program since WWII with 555 wins

Winningest College Football Program since 2000 with 108 wins

97 weeks being ranked as the No. 1 team in America which the most weeks ranked No. 1 in the AP poll in the history of College Football

364 weeks ranked in the AP top 5 this is the most in the history of College Football

80-16-7 against Oklahoma State, the most lopsided intrastate rivalry in D-IA football history

Since 1999, OU has the best home record in College Football going 60-2.

OU has an active streak of 80 consecutive games on television

OU is the only school in the history of College Football, to have four coaches win 100 games at the same school. (Benny Owens, Bud Wilkinson, Barry Switzer and Bob Stoops)

OU is the first school in the history of College Football to score 30,000 points.
OU currently has a 24 game home winning streak, the longest in the country.

So come back and talk to me when you respect that. It isn't braggin', WE have done it. And will add to it.

tbl
12/20/2008, 01:00 PM
Here's the thing... They KNOW all this, yet they don't care. I'm tellin ya, its like trying to reason with my 2 year old. They inevitably fall back on "if any SEC team were to play in the B12, they'd be better than that". The delusion out here is disturbing... Seriously...

WileyCoyote
12/20/2008, 01:20 PM
Here's the thing... They KNOW all this, yet they don't care. I'm tellin ya, its like trying to reason with my 2 year old. They inevitably fall back on "if any SEC team were to play in the B12, they'd be better than that". The delusion out here is disturbing... Seriously...

I lived in ATL during the Hersey Walker era. I lived in Birmingham during the Bo Jackson era. I found the 'Bama fans the best to reason with. Most of them I knew respected the OU program. Frankly, I respected 'Bama's tradition and still do.

Georgia was the worst at that time re: brainwashing. Florida wasn't even on the map as a perennial SEC power......

cheezyq
12/20/2008, 03:01 PM
Hell, SEC and Gator fans make Aggies and Longhorns seem downright reasonable.

silverwheels
12/20/2008, 03:07 PM
They're all related down there, so the delusion spreads easily.

SoonerBacker
12/20/2008, 06:39 PM
Are all SEC fans like this? I know that when the Bama fans came to Norman, and when we traveled down there, it seemed that there was a lot of mutual respect. But now it seems that everyone in the SE United States is on the SEC bandwagon and thinks there is no way we can hang with the worst teams in the SEC. So is this SEC superiority complex a conference wide phenomenon, or is Bama exempt?

no1g8r
12/20/2008, 06:54 PM
I'm a Gator fan living in Atlanta, and I'll agree that the Dawg fans are as delusional as it comes. After they had a rare (as of late) win over a Florida team that featured an injured Tebow, they started a run that ended in their win over Hawai'i in the bowl last year. They were then convinced that they had earned a partial MNC last year and would be the National Champions this year.

We grow a lot of fine FB players down here in the Southeast, and many years the SEC is VERY strong as a result. This isn't one of those years. With a few breaks going their way, only Bama and Georgia could even have a chance of hanging with OU and UT this year. Florida is representing the SEC for a reason - they are the force to be reckoned with in the SEC this year. We'll soon find out how Florida stacks up to OU. I expect a GREAT game.

WileyCoyote
12/20/2008, 06:59 PM
Are all SEC fans like this? I know that when the Bama fans came to Norman, and when we traveled down there, it seemed that there was a lot of mutual respect. But now it seems that everyone in the SE United States is on the SEC bandwagon and thinks there is no way we can hang with the worst teams in the SEC. So is this SEC superiority complex a conference wide phenomenon, or is Bama exempt?

Well....I can only speak from my experience. Based upon what I observed, the SEC superiority attitude was well established 25 years ago. I don't have any stats at hand on this, and am not going to go look it up, but....the major bowls in those days didn't seem to have a lot of Big 8 vs SEC team matchups.....

It was mostly SEC vs Big 10 or independents.

Whomever wants to did that up could prove me wrong...but it is just my lazy recollection.

SoonerJack
12/20/2008, 07:04 PM
WileyCoyote, welcome to Soonerfans. You have an awesome name and your avatar isn't too bad either.

Is your last name Wiley? Mine is!

RedRum
12/20/2008, 07:11 PM
I live in Arkansas and these SEC people here are retarded as hell. Hog fans use the logic that 'if the SEC is the best conference around and we are in the SEC, then we must be better that everyone else.' It would be like a Iowa State fan saying their team is somehow special just because they happen to play in the same league as a team who is playing the national championship. I'm not sure why this is. I don't know if its some kinda of Civil War hangover or what but the deal is this: The SEC has beaten up on crappy Ohio State to win the championship the last two year. Ohio State is not that great. Get over yourselves.

WileyCoyote
12/20/2008, 07:20 PM
WileyCoyote, welcome to Soonerfans. You have an awesome name and your avatar isn't too bad either.

Is your last name Wiley? Mine is!

Thanks Jack....

LOL...no my last name isn't "Wiley" (or Coyote for that matter...lol)

I'm just like the cartoon character...lol Don't take me too serious....because I don't....I have had enough lessons in humility....

:pop:

G8trGr8t
12/20/2008, 09:58 PM
With all due respect to tradition, college football was dominated by a few teams prior to the scholarship limitations so some of those accomplishments were done during years when the competetion was much less.

Alabama used to have 150 players on scholarship. Bryant would sign guys that he knew wouldn't ever play just to keep the other teams in the SEC from getting them and maybe being able to compete. Once the 85 limit went into effect, the talent began to get spread around more and the days of only having a handful of national powers that might win a championship every year went by the wayside.

Things done since 1980 or so have a little more legitamacy for that reason, or at least to me they do.

DenverSooner751
12/20/2008, 10:04 PM

That's what I'm wondering.

DenverSooner751
12/20/2008, 10:06 PM
With all due respect to tradition, college football was dominated by a few teams prior to the scholarship limitations so some of those accomplishments were done during years when the competetion was much less.

Alabama used to have 150 players on scholarship. Bryant would sign guys that he knew wouldn't ever play just to keep the other teams in the SEC from getting them and maybe being able to compete. Once the 85 limit went into effect, the talent began to get spread around more and the days of only having a handful of national powers that might win a championship every year went by the wayside.

Things done since 1980 or so have a little more legitamacy for that reason, or at least to me they do.

Is that when NASA got involved?

Jaggles
12/20/2008, 10:46 PM
I am a Gator and their are certainly delusional fans in the SEC and the Dawgs are among the worst. We are, rightfully, proud of our conference. The Big 12 is rightfully proud of its conference. Clearly, the 2 conferences represent the best of college football. Yours was better overall this year, the last couple, I would argue we were. Hope all of this translates into a great game.

Jaggles
12/20/2008, 10:48 PM
That's what I'm wondering.The good losers get lost in the shuffle. The bad losers, regardless of allegiance, make us all look bad.

soonerinkeywest
12/20/2008, 11:51 PM
SEC fan is annoying, I am stationed with fans from all over the country.They immediately pimp whoever the SEC frontrunner is every year and addopt them as there very own Team.Florida fan(State of)Is no better several of them I know have Fsu,Canes,and Gator wear and they do the same thing.My buddy said he couldn't wait til "His Gators play My Sooners" I was like yeah your Gators,Your Canes,Your Noles,...So damn annoying!!

HungaryGator
12/20/2008, 11:55 PM
anybody in-state who rooted for more than 1 of the state's big 3 programs would get zero respect. All of them hate each other's guts. Rest assured, the redneck trailer trash in Tallacrappy as well as the ho slappin' pimps in the slums of miami will be rooting hard for us to lose.

soonerinkeywest
12/21/2008, 12:07 AM
I agreee Hungary Gator.I mistyped there are a few like that down here."I'm A fan of Florida dude"Lol maybe its A Military thing I honestly dunno!!Because when I was stationed on A ship in Virginia it was the same way lol.

cheezyq
12/21/2008, 12:12 AM
....the talent began to get spread around more and the days of only having a handful of national powers that might win a championship every year went by the wayside.

Yeah, now all the "national powers" exist in the SEC.

RacerX
12/21/2008, 12:25 AM
That's a new one, modern football started in 1980.

I feel silly when OU fans mention accomplishments since WWII, now a Gator fan wants to limit relevant football to accomplishments since CNN was launched.

RacerX
12/21/2008, 12:40 AM
since the Empire Strikes Back

RacerX
12/21/2008, 12:49 AM
since Chrysler was bailed out the first time

Crucifax Autumn
12/21/2008, 02:26 AM
Since Michael Jackson turned into Elizabeth Taylor

L-Boy
12/21/2008, 02:44 AM
OK, we get it, the Sooners have had a long tradition of greatness, much of it prior to most of us being born. Here's to you and your grandparents. I, on the other hand, am happy that I was alive and old enough to remember UF's glory years.

Crucifax Autumn
12/21/2008, 03:03 AM
The youngest of our fans, some perhaps born after you, are still experiencing OUr glory years. OU is and always has been the cream of the crop in college football.

We don't mean to minimize the glory of Florida the lat couple of decades. I'm sure we all respect it.

But at this point you guys are still hoping to win, hoping to remain a powerhouse. We EXPECT it.

KingBarry
12/21/2008, 06:11 AM
OK, we get it, the Sooners have had a long tradition of greatness, much of it prior to most of us being born. Here's to you and your grandparents. I, on the other hand, am happy that I was alive and old enough to remember UF's glory years.

Look around. Our glory years are now.

Switzer (70s-80s) and Wilkinson (50s) won a little more often, but as was mentioned above, teams like Oklahoma had a far larger talent edge over their opponents in those days.

In the 70s, our third team guys could have beaten 80% of our opponents, and might even have contended for a top 20 ranking. When a player went down, his replacement would step in seemlessly.

Nowadays, even traditional powers are so thin, one key injury can pretty much end a season.

And the Sooners keep winning, week-in and week-out, and year-in and year-out.

We dominate our conference and are in the national race almost every year.

You want to start counting since 1980? That still leaves us two national championships, seven Orange Bowls, a Sugar, a Rose, three Fiestas and a Cotton.

That's a pretty good thirty year record right there, and I don't think we have to take a back seat to anybody on "what have we done lately."

Crucifax Autumn
12/21/2008, 06:48 AM
TBL...I hope you left a pile of bodies behind!

And KingBarry...That's exactly my point - OUr glory years are...always!

Vaevictis
12/21/2008, 07:10 AM

LOL, yeah.

I guess I'll have to settle for:

A national championship
An undefeated season
Three national championship game appearances (with another upcoming)
Winning 6 conference championships in 10 years

Expanding to my lifetime, we add six more conference championships and another national title.

Woe is me. You're right, I have to listen to my dear old dad about the glory years, who has in his lifetime seen 20ish more conference titles, 4-5 more national titles, and the 47 game winning streak.

Of course, despite my being horrendously underprivileged, the Sooners have accomplished more in my lifetime than the Gators have accomplished in their history.

WileyCoyote
12/21/2008, 08:05 AM

^^^It doesn't come as any shock that this Gatorite wants to tout UF's 'recent' accomplishments as validation for a program that historically had a great year IF they finished 6-4.

I guess if my grandparents, great grandparents had FL's history, I wouldn't want to cite their records or give much credit prior to 1970 either. Mediocrity would best define that program.

The FL football success is noteworthy since 1990. I respect what they have done on the field recently, but I can't give them the status of a 'Bama...that is a football program I think most OU fans respect DUE to it's winning history.

SOONER Born & SOONER Bred......

BOOMER !!!

adoniijahsooner
12/21/2008, 12:12 PM
I'm just not the type to make fun of anyones team when they lose. I tend to treat people the way I want to be treated. After that game, one of the fans came up to me and said, "Texas is the best team in the B12 but they are no where near as good as Alabama." I didn't laugh at him, I just shook my head. I honestly enjoy OUr resident whorn's comments compared to these fans.:mad:

Yeah. I lived in Tennessee from 1999-2002, and I ran into the same brand of dotage. What's funny is that we played alot of B Ball, football, and softball, and I was always the best athlete by far. It was very confusing for them that someone from Oklahoma could be that athletic. It was a college campus filled with Floridians, Georgians, and Tennessee folk, but they were out manned nonetheless. :D