12/20/2008, 10:00 AM
either that, or Tulsa > Dallas.:D

Man flies to Tulsa for shave, haircut

By DAVID HARPER World Staff Writer
Published: 12/20/2008 2:21 AM
Last Modified: 12/20/2008 2:42 AM

You can go home again.

At least for a haircut.

Ferdinand Hauslein Jr. is living proof of that. In a remarkable display of loyalty and friendship, the Dallas resident comes back to Tulsa every four weeks to visit his trusted barber, Lee Young.

"I tried six or eight stylists in Dallas, but they butchered it," Hauslein said on a recent trip to Tulsa. "I'll let another stylist trim the back of my neck, but not the hair."

It isn't like Hauslein just stops by to see Young at Carol's Hair Styling For Men & Women, 6540-J E. 21st St., every now and then when Hauslein happens to be in Tulsa for some other reason.

No, when the 65-year-old Hauslein flies into town — usually every four weeks — he is a man on a very specific mission: to get a haircut and an old-fashioned shave from the only person on Earth he trusts to be around his throat with a straight razor.

"We've developed a great friendship," Hauslein said.

Young, 61, said he is flattered by Hauslein's dedication.

"It makes me feel good about myself," he said.

Young, who has been in business with Carol Joiner for about 40 years, said that the shop's customers are more than clients: They are friends.

The bond that Hauslein formed with Young is all the more extraordinary when one considers that Hauslein only lived here from 1985 through 1987.

"Loyalty is something that is a very precious commodity," said Hauslein, who said he has had the same California accountant for about 25 years.

If one could put a price tag on this kind of loyalty, it would be about $400 to $500. That's what Hauslein estimates it costs for him to make these monthly trips — which also include visits to Claud's Hamburgers — when airfare and ground transportation are considered.

He said the bill has gone even higher on one or two occasions when he has been forced to find a Tulsa hotel after his flight back to Dallas was bumped back to Sunday morning.

Hauslein isn't some bored retiree. Far from it. As president and chief executive officer of International Security Inc. in Dallas, he said he oversees a security firm that employs hundreds of contract workers around the world.

In fact, Hauslein said, he spends about three out of every four weeks on the road. He said his trips to Tulsa provide a respite from his usual pressures and a chance to do something just for himself.

"It's a nice break from my normal routine," he said.

To that end, he shuts off his cell phone for one Saturday a month and escapes to Tulsa.

On those magical days, all Hauslein has to think about is seeing old friends Young and Joiner, grabbing a couple of hamburgers, catching his flights and getting — according to him — the best haircut in the world.

King Crimson
12/20/2008, 10:39 AM
i think that's pretty alright. heck, this is a world starved for human contact....there's more about "value" than the yankee dollar.

and i'd rather swallow a toad and shards of glass than live in Dallas.

Lott's Bandana
12/20/2008, 12:40 PM
and i'd rather swallow a toad and shards of glass than live in Dallas.

...while listening to Melanie records....ugh!

Flagstaffsooner
12/20/2008, 01:04 PM
http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/070119/070119_LBJ_vmed_2p.widec.jpg
And his 'Great Society' programs are still wasting money in 2008.

bri
12/20/2008, 01:13 PM
That's oddly awesome.

Now I'm hungry for a Claud's burger.

StoopTroup
12/20/2008, 01:29 PM
If I could ever find a really good hooker...I'd be just as loyal. :D ;)

bri
12/20/2008, 01:39 PM
If I could ever find a really good hooker, she probably wouldn't end up wrapped in plastic down by the river.

KC//CRIMSON
12/20/2008, 02:37 PM
A good Barber or Stylist is worth their weight in gold. I've been going to the same dude for 15 years.:cool:

StoopTroup
12/20/2008, 07:12 PM
A good Barber or Stylist is worth their weight in gold. I've been going to the same dude for 15 years.:cool:

Seems someone doesn't want to talk about hookers Bri.

Coincidence? :D

Okla-homey
12/21/2008, 09:45 AM
It is entirely possible he has a little sumpin'-sumpin' on the side in Tulsa he squeezes in between the haircut and hamburgers each month.;)

StoopTroup
12/21/2008, 09:50 AM
It is entirely possible he has a little sumpin'-sumpin' on the side in Tulsa he squeezes in between the haircut and hamburgers each month.;)

Which would make it a brilliant move...especially if he's writing these little trips off as a business expense. There really wouldn't be any wasted bullets that way.

Homey is all over this I believe...

I may go back to doing Tax Preps someday. You can really get to know folks. :D

OUHOMER
12/21/2008, 09:58 AM
OH , I don't know T. Boone maybe the #1 dude.

Flagstaffsooner
12/21/2008, 10:00 AM
OH , I don't know T. Boone maybe the #1 dude.Ding Ding. We have a winner folks.