PDA

View Full Version : Mack Brown continues to cry and whine.

adoniijahsooner
12/20/2008, 06:38 AM
Would he just shut the hell up!!! Okay, we get it. He is not happy being left out if the title game; and at this point no one gives a crap! It reminds me of someone who has been divorced for 10 years and every time you run into them, they are crying about how they were treated by their ex. Hey Mack, next year don't vote, and watch your absent vote leave you out again. Hehehehehe. Oh yeah; and this time he gonna study the computer rankings to figure out what it takes to improve his computer ranking. I know what you can do; Not schedule Rice, Utep, and FAU. Also, try beating Texas Tech on their home field. 35-45, and we are still playing in the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME! :texan: :D :P :cool:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12/0-5-157/Brown-considers-giving-up-his-vote-in-coaches--poll.html

SoonerStormchaser
12/20/2008, 08:40 AM
Your sig offends me cause it could imply drug usage.

TXBOOMER
12/20/2008, 08:55 AM
What a contradiction, he believes Flordia beat the # 1 team so they should be # 1. What was Texas Tech ranked when we abused them? You stupid Focker! When are the texass fans and coaches going to realize every argument they attempt is a contradiction.

adoniijahsooner
12/20/2008, 09:10 AM

Your joking right:confused: ? Malcolm Kelly rapped this lyrics after the big 12 championship game against Nebraska. Here is the video on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9RiitZEHxA

oupride
12/20/2008, 09:24 AM
Hope this guy leaves (http://www.daylife.com/photo/06XCfy4ddogiQ)

SoonerLB
12/20/2008, 09:55 AM
Who cares what Mack thinks? It's time to focus on beating Florida!

cheezyq
12/20/2008, 09:56 AM
Stoops: Quietly gives up his vote during the offseason and refuses to discuss why he did it. Many different theories arise and he's been asked many times, but not a single word or hint at why. When asked to clamor for his team during the UT/AtM game, refuses, thinking that it would be classless.

Brown: Sets up an ESPN interview prior to all the bowl games to announce that he's THINKING about giving up his vote as a big display of public pouting. When asked to clamor for his team during the OU/OSU game, jumps at the opportunity to whine about his "situation".

Stay classy, Mack.

cheezyq
12/20/2008, 10:06 AM
Wow, I just notice this f*cking b*llsh*t comment:

"Oklahoma had its starters playing in the fourth quarter in the Sooners' season-ending victories over Oklahoma State and Missouri. The Sooners won those games by a combined margin of 123-62, including a 45-22 difference in the fourth quarter."

I hate those ESPN f*ckers.

Visirale
12/20/2008, 10:46 AM
Wow, I just notice this f*cking b*llsh*t comment:

"Oklahoma had its starters playing in the fourth quarter in the Sooners' season-ending victories over Oklahoma State and Missouri. The Sooners won those games by a combined margin of 123-62, including a 45-22 difference in the fourth quarter."

I hate those ESPN f*ckers.

Why do you hate it? It was true?

I know you guys didn't do it that often, but you sure did try pretty hard to break that scoring record. Congrats on doing it, but I would not have risked Bradford that long knowing he was going into surgery the next day.

delhalew
12/20/2008, 11:32 AM

I know you guys didn't do it that often, but you sure did try pretty hard to break that scoring record. Congrats on doing it, but I would not have risked Bradford that long knowing he was going into surgery the next day.

Maybe because five seconds before we took a break from the brown up the middle and a cloud of dust routine, these same ESPN tools were saying how we lost our edge in the second half and the voters have to look at this. Fools.

MojoRisen
12/20/2008, 11:42 AM
Right they can't have it both ways - #1 we could have scored 80 on Mizzou and called off the dogs early in the 3rd quarter. Those plays we were running is called practice & execution. We take all the reps we can get especially in game situations.

Okie St - people can say what they want, we did what we had to do in that one. We didn't ask them to give up a 30 yard run up the middle did we?

We are in the National Championship Game - ESPN can blow themselves now that many of them admit to being and feeling dirty as the two best teams are now in the BCS championship.

ESPN really just doesn't understand football - total stat geeks and attention whoes.

They are dead to me on any information I look for that maybe factual..

Jeronimo
12/20/2008, 11:43 AM
All i heard the past couple months is that Oklahoma didnt deserve to be there. in fact still hear it today from some. So how was Oklahoma supposed to respond to that? Just go ahead and lose a game so texas can go? F*** THAT!

Was Oklahoma supposed to stop scoring once they were up 28 or 35? OU kept hearing they didnt deserve it. So what were they supposed to do? How about play their butts off for an entire game?

Point is there is nothing OU could've done to persuade any media they deserved to be there just as much as texas did. All they could do is play the game and leave it to computers and voters. Obviously it worked cause Oklahoma is back where they belong.

badger
12/20/2008, 11:45 AM
Oh noes! Someone's not happy that we're successful! We better start another thread and complain about them not being happy, because LORD KNOWS that we can't be happy about our success if every single other program and its fans (especially the rival's head coach) are happy as well!

:rolleyes: Let it slide. This is a perfect way for them to go on the same Fiesta Bowl losing streak we did. If the coach is whining, the players are whining too and that's a recipe for bowl disaster.

delhalew
12/20/2008, 11:49 AM
Oh noes! Someone's not happy that we're successful! We better start another thread and complain about them not being happy, because LORD KNOWS that we can't be happy about our success if every single other program and its fans (especially the rival's head coach) are happy as well!

:rolleyes: Let it slide. This is a perfect way for them to go on the same Fiesta Bowl losing streak we did. If the coach is whining, the players are whining too and that's a recipe for bowl disaster.

That is a fact. I would have thought Texas would destroy tOSU...until I found out Mack is still butt hurt and crying.

adoniijahsooner
12/20/2008, 11:56 AM

Maybe you have a point, but that idiot coach is trying to clap his way to the AP national title.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/20/2008, 12:04 PM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/12/20/128742662508560310.jpg

Toronto Sooner
12/20/2008, 12:08 PM
I have a question. Is Mack Brown truly brainless or is he just shameless?

With regards to Bob Stoops running up the score to gain style points, these people should really do their research. For most of the games this year, Bob Stoops called off the dogs by halftime and completely shut everything down after 3 quarters. Had Bob not shut things down so early we would have scored 80 - 90 points in many games this year. That is how prolific our offense has been.

Gawd!

Dan Thompson
12/20/2008, 12:16 PM
Sam needed the extra playing time to earn his letter and get a letterman's jacket.

In the WV game last year, White was playing to the end while WV was ahead by 20!

Both the OSU and Missouri game where important games, both teams where ranked, for OU to get a spot in the MNC game. I think it is better to keep your starters in than to risk some ball handling errors with a new QB and/or RBs.

Texas forced OU to play well to the end of each game after there win. So it is really Texas's fault.

badger
12/20/2008, 01:08 PM
Maybe you have a point, but that idiot coach is trying to clap his way to the AP national title.

So what. He also tried to clap his way into the Big 12 championship (didn't work), clap his way into a Heisman quarterback (didn't work) and clap his way into the title game (didn't work).

The only thing it's resulting in is more threads, more angst and more "Espn hates us so much" talk. Why can't we just enjoy this really, really successful season and ignore Texas and Mack Brown for once? Why can't we... you know, LOVE the fact that we are in the best position we've ever been in to take title No. 8 and it's all at our rival's expense? Why does every update from Baja Oklahoma have to sound...so... angry?

If we are in a good position, that automatically puts Texas at a bad position. It has always been that way and will never change, because we are not only rivals, but we are also in the same conference and even more than that, the same division.

Leroy Lizard
12/20/2008, 01:29 PM
We have some decisions to make as coaches. We've got to learn more about the computers. That's really important to us," Brown said Thursday. "I've never studied them. I've never thought about them. I'd like to know what information is important to them to make sure I don't hurt our team.

I haven't actually harped on Mack much. I figured that he was only doing what he thought he had to do. But that statement is the whiniest, girliest, sissiest statement I have heard uttered from a coach in a long time.

"We will have somebody who understands computers fully investigate the six (programs) and see what is important. We hear all these things out there that are true and untrue. Is margin of victory important? I hear the away game counts twice as much as the home game. There are things that players and coaches need to understand."

I think you prepare to win the game regardless.

47straight
12/20/2008, 01:37 PM
Pathetic. Tim Griffin throws in there "OU had its starters in the game in the 4th quarter against OSU..."

No **** Sherlock, the game was still quite in doubt.

Pathetic.

fadada1
12/20/2008, 01:54 PM
until mack accepts the fact of a THREE WAY TIE, he'll continue to moan, complain, whine, and "flick ESPN's bean."

FirstandGoal
12/20/2008, 02:01 PM
Meh, I wasn't gonna post in this thread cause I agree with badj and would love nothing more than to put all of this Texass whinny baby carp behind us.

Advice to my fellow Sooners:

Let's all enjoy the hell outta the next few weeks, we haven't been here in a few years, and it feels really good again. Why soil all of this with constant talk about a team that didn't have what it took in the long run to make it to this level? Let's focus our energy instead on giving the Gators hell. They've earned the right to be our foes for the next few weeks.

Advice to any whorns:

STFU until you actually do everything you can (and that means beating all of the teams on your schedule Einsteins) to earn the big game.

That is all.

SoonerTank
12/20/2008, 02:05 PM
Meh, I wasn't gonna post in this thread cause I agree with badj and would love nothing more than to put all of this Texass whinny baby carp behind us.

Let's all enjoy the hell outta the next few weeks, we haven't been here in a few years, and it feels really good again. Why soil all of this with constant talk about a team that didn't have what it took in the long run to make it to this level? Let's focus our energy instead on giving the Gators hell. They've earned the right to be our foes for the next few weeks.

Advice to any whorns:

STFU until you actually do everything you can (and that means beating all of the teams on your schedule Einsteins) to earn the big game.

That is all.

Very well said.

Scott D
12/20/2008, 02:59 PM
Stoops: Quietly gives up his vote during the offseason and refuses to discuss why he did it. Many different theories arise and he's been asked many times, but not a single word or hint at why. When asked to clamor for his team during the UT/AtM game, refuses, thinking that it would be classless.

Brown: Sets up an ESPN interview prior to all the bowl games to announce that he's THINKING about giving up his vote as a big display of public pouting. When asked to clamor for his team during the OU/OSU game, jumps at the opportunity to whine about his "situation".

Stay classy, Mack.

Bob gave up his vote a few years ago actually.

BoulderSooner79
12/20/2008, 03:00 PM

Advice to any whorns:

That is all.

I'll go a step further. I'm not only enjoying OU being in the title game, I'm enjoying the continued whining from the horns. Now that the title game is set, the whining is just fartin' in the breeze. If they get the AP vote, who cares? It would be the biggest, most insulting pity award in history from a poll that doesn't count any more.

Now I know I'm a bad person for enjoying the horns' misery and I have a new years resolution to stop it. But it's not new years yet and I haven't decided which year yet to apply the resolution :D

A Sooner in Texas
12/20/2008, 03:08 PM
Go to hornfans.com's first page on the football message board, and you'll see any number of threads about OU. They are obsessed. Apparently, however, so are we. They whine about us, we whine about them whining about us. There's no point to it. We're in the big game, they're not. Let them whine all they want. We don't need to.

Our eyes should be focused on Florida, not on a team that doesn't matter.

TXBOOMER
12/20/2008, 04:00 PM
Go to hornfans.com's first page on the football message board, and you'll see any number of threads about OU. They are obsessed. Apparently, however, so are we. They whine about us, we whine about them whining about us. There's no point to it. We're in the big game, they're not. Let them whine all they want. We don't need to.

Our eyes should be focused on Florida, not on a team that doesn't matter.

I'll let Bob and the boys focus only on the Gators. I am perfectly capable of multi-tasking. :texan:

Blues1
12/20/2008, 05:39 PM
It's getting to a point that every time Brown opens his mouth he just digs himself deeper into a Loser Cry baby coach reputation ~~~ The man just can't shut the f%#$ up ~~~~~~~~ Sad but ~~~~ :)

Lets All Rock On' !!!!! :)

gatorsownu2
12/20/2008, 06:25 PM
WAAA freakin WAAAAAA UF vs OU nuff said. LETS GET IT ON!!!!!!!

L-Boy
12/20/2008, 06:34 PM
I think you can argue either OU or TX, but according to the Big 12 rules the tiebreaker went OU's way, so I don't know what there is to whine about. Until there is some playoff system, there will be parties left out who may have a legit argument.

From a logic perspective, the ones ignoring the 3 way argument have twisted logic. They feel that TX beat OU and TX should go, and eliminate TT from the equation. One of the reasons that they eliminate TT is because OU beat the living snot out of them. If OU beats TT by 7 points, then its a different argument.

So by the Texas fans logic, OU should be penalized for beating TT so badly that they (TT) should get tossed out of the 3 way tiebreaker, thus leaving Tx the victor of OU due to the head to head victory.

TXBOOMER
12/20/2008, 06:38 PM
WAAA freakin WAAAAAA UF vs OU nuff said. LETS GET IT ON!!!!!!!

The more pictures you add the more I'm beginning to appreciate your posts.:pop:

Curly Bill
12/20/2008, 06:38 PM
I think you can argue either OU or TX, but according to the Big 12 rules the tiebreaker went OU's way, so I don't know what there is to whine about. Until there is some playoff system, there will be parties left out who may have a legit argument.

News flash! Playoff system or not you will still have arguments. A playoff system, despite what some on here like to believe, is not a cure-all.

Curly Bill
12/20/2008, 06:40 PM
The more pictures you add the more I'm beginning to appreciate your posts.:pop:

Taken from the pages of Playboy magazine -- Kelly Carrington, Miss October.

L-Boy
12/20/2008, 07:02 PM
News flash! Playoff system or not you will still have arguments. A playoff system, despite what some on here like to believe, is not a cure-all.

True, but if a you have an 8 team playoff, the arguments for a potential national champion being left out are great reduced, depending on how you choose the top 8.

Curly Bill
12/20/2008, 07:03 PM
True, but if a you have an 8 team playoff, the arguments for a potential national champion being left out are great reduced, depending on how you choose the top 8.

You have an 8 team playoff you have teams 9 & 10 arguing that they deserved to be in the playoff over teams 7 & 8.

2k2 c5
12/20/2008, 07:05 PM
Mack Brown needs to shut up.

He's a tool.

L-Boy
12/20/2008, 07:20 PM
You have an 8 team playoff you have teams 9 & 10 arguing that they deserved to be in the playoff over teams 7 & 8.

Sure, but their argument for deserving to play for the national championship would most likely be fairly weak. I would keep the BCS, and make the playoff the top BCS 8, period. I would avoid tying into conference champions, because then you could get some mediocre teams in there. Look at the ACC and the Big East. Or lets say MO got lucky and beat OU.

The playoff would be this year:

OU, UF, TX, AL, USC, PSU, TT, Utah. The one probably crying would be Boise St - but that is what happens when you don't play anybody. I don't think anybody really thinks Boise State would be competing for the MNC (notwithstanding their surprising bowl victory a couple of years ago against a team who will remain nameless. ;) )

You could make the first round the regular bowls - Orange, Sugar, Fiesta and Rose. Probably would keep the Big 10 Pac 10 tie in for the Rose bowl just to placate them, assuming both teams end up in the top 8. Then all you have is one more round of 4 the week after.

Curly Bill
12/20/2008, 07:25 PM
Sure, but their argument for deserving to play for the national championship would most likely be fairly weak.

I don't think so. Their argument would be that once in a playoff they'd have as good a shot to win as any of the others. So...if you deny them that top 7 or 8 ranking that they feel they so richly deserve you are denying them a fair shot at a national championship.

Chrisrokc
12/20/2008, 07:44 PM

Curious, how do you figure it implies drug use? :confused:

Curly Bill
12/20/2008, 07:45 PM
Curious, how do you figure it implies drug use? :confused:

He was joking.

L-Boy
12/20/2008, 08:02 PM
I haven't actually harped on Mack much. I figured that he was only doing what he thought he had to do. But that statement is the whiniest, girliest, sissiest statement I have heard uttered from a coach in a long time.

I think you prepare to win the game regardless.

Does the multi quote button on this board not work?

Quote:
We have some decisions to make as coaches. We've got to learn more about the computers. That's really important to us," Brown said Thursday. "I've never studied them. I've never thought about them. I'd like to know what information is important to them to make sure I don't hurt our team.

Quote:
"We will have somebody who understands computers fully investigate the six (programs) and see what is important. We hear all these things out there that are true and untrue. Is margin of victory important? I hear the away game counts twice as much as the home game. There are things that players and coaches need to understand."

This stuff is really not rocket science. TX and OU were very close in the computer polls as of 11/30. OU was on top of 4, and TX was on top of 2. In the end, as it turned out, OU's victories over Cincinnati and TCU were more impressive victories then TX's out of conference (including ARK as it turns out)- most of the teams they played otherwise were the same. How much research does that need? How friggin hard is that to figure out. Margin of victory does not count in the computers. I don't know about the away game statement - that sounds kind of odd.

Some of his statements really make him sound like a simpleton - I get the impression the guy is not all that bright. Hell, the computers put TX over UF in the final computer polls, so it works both ways. If there were a clear cut choice of TX over OU then the voters would have swung that way, but they didn't, it was for all intents and purposes a tie among the voters. The two human polls split between TX and OU being #2, and there were only 5 points difference between TX and OU between the two human polls (out of approx 4200 points total).

nytehorn
12/20/2008, 08:04 PM
Mack is just trying to back up his team, as any head coach would do. He HAS to fight for his team, or his team doesn't fight for HIM. We shall see if this tactic works to get his team fired up for OSU, or if they come out un-caring.

L-Boy
12/20/2008, 08:08 PM
I don't think so. Their argument would be that once in a playoff they'd have as good a shot to win as any of the others. So...if you deny them that top 7 or 8 ranking that they feel they so richly deserve you are denying them a fair shot at a national championship.

No offense, but I think that is a load of crap. People are always going to whine no matter what, but I think most fans and most schools would be happy with such format. It would preserve the integrity and importance of the regular season (the odds of getting in the top 8 with more than one loss are very low), it would maintain the financial interest and fan interest in the bowls (I would argue it would increase it since more people would be interested in them since they are playoffs) and it only increases the season one more week. It just seems like a no-brainer to me.

Curly Bill
12/20/2008, 08:09 PM
It seems like a no-brainer to a lot of peeps...

...cause they don't think it through.

L-Boy
12/20/2008, 08:14 PM
It seems like a no-brainer to a lot of peeps...

...cause they don't think it through.

So that is your attempt at a counter argument? I take you are a fan of the status quo?

The current system is ridiculous. The last few weeks there are all these campaigns for who should be #1 or 2 and discussions on "style points" and other things that should be irrelevant. Sure, it creates buzz, but that does not mean it makes any sense.

Curly Bill
12/20/2008, 08:16 PM
OK then, lets have campaigns for who's #8 or 9 instead, that'll solve everything.

L-Boy
12/20/2008, 08:35 PM
OK then, lets have campaigns for who's #8 or 9 instead, that'll solve everything.

Nobody cares who is #9. If you can't see the difference in the claim of the #3 team to have a shot at the MNC and the #9 team, well then, there is really not much hope in communicating with you.

At the end of the day, perhaps TX is the best team this year. Perhaps USC is. Perhaps PSU is (I doubt it, but you never know). However, I don't think there is any significant population contemplating whether BSU is the best team in the land, aside from a few homer BSU fans.

Curly Bill
12/20/2008, 08:40 PM
...but if BSU can get that #8 spot to get into your magical cure-all playoff they might could win out and be the best team in the land.

You wait and see if no one care who's #9 if there's ever an 8-team playoff.

L-Boy
12/20/2008, 08:45 PM
...but if BSU can get that #8 spot to get into your magical cure-all playoff they might could win out and be the best team in the land.

You wait and see if no one care who's #9 if there's ever an 8-team playoff.

So I take it you are against a playoff and are a supporter of the status quo?

Curly Bill
12/20/2008, 08:48 PM
So I take it you are against a playoff and are a supporter of the status quo?

I truthfully don't much care. I usually take the anti-playoff role because the playoff supporters are just so damn sure that a playoff would cure everything that I like messing with them. My thinking is that a playoff would not be any better then what we have, it would just be different.

L-Boy
12/20/2008, 08:56 PM
I truthfully don't much care. I usually take the anti-playoff role because the playoff supporters are just so damn sure that a playoff would cure everything that I like messing with them. My thinking is that a playoff would not be any better then what we have, it would just be different.

So let's say another dozen voters or so buy Mack Brown's whining and they end up putting TX in the Big 12 title game and MNC game. Would you still not care? It wasn't that far from happening, so I am surprised by your indifference.

Curly Bill
12/20/2008, 09:01 PM
So let's say another dozen voters or so buy Mack Brown's whining and they end up putting TX in the Big 12 title game and MNC game. Would you still not care? It wasn't that far from happening, so I am surprised by your indifference.

If that happened I would say: Oh well, should have beat Texas when we had the chance. You see to me the regular season is what it's all about, take care of business there and things will work itself out, lose games that you shouldn't and you have little right to complain.

L-Boy
12/20/2008, 09:44 PM
If that happened I would say: Oh well, should have beat Texas when we had the chance. You see to me the regular season is what it's all about, take care of business there and things will work itself out, lose games that you shouldn't and you have little right to complain.

I would agree that you can get to a point where a playoff if too involved could take away from the regular season. A 16 team may start to get there. That is what I think is the beauty of the 8 team scenario. All the legit contenders lost one game. If you lost more than one this year, you are out of the running, so the argument that the regular season becomes less important does not hold water.

So in my mind, what you lose going from the present system to an 8 team playoff is the somewhat arbitrary way in which the top teams compete for the MNC. You say, let's pick two by a beauty contest, and declare the winner MNC. I say pick 8 and let em play. If #9 is excluded, well, life is hard.

While it doesn't happen often, occasionally there are more than 2 top conference undefeated teams, evidence Auburn a few years ago. Also, a match up of the top two undefeateds, if 2 undefeateds exists, doesn't necessarily give you the top two - evidence 1996 when #3 UF beat #1 undefeated FSU and #4 Ohio State beat #2 undefeated Arizona - and UF ends up #1. If the BCS were in place, FSU plays Arizona for the whole ball of wax, and turns out both were losers.

Scott D
12/20/2008, 09:53 PM

Truthfully? I think Mack Brown's whining cost them a dozen or so voters.

L-Boy
12/20/2008, 10:10 PM
Truthfully? I think Mack Brown's whining cost them a dozen or so voters.

Maybe, but TX did jump that final week. OK beat a good Okie St team, UF beat a ranked FSU team, and TX beats insignificant Texas A&M, and Texas surpasses OU and UF in the human polls for that week. That is in my mind extremely arbitrary - there was no new information that should have vaulted TX higher. The fact that TX beat OU on a neutral field should have already been factored in.

My point is that arbritary voter manipulation could have, almost did, cost you a chance at the MNC, just as it could have cost UF a chance if there was more voter love for TX at the very end.

The only reason a school like OU, UF or TX would oppose a playoff is that they would be scared they might lose, which is not really consistent with the traditions of those schools. However, I can fully understand why the Big 10 may not want a playoff.

Scott D
12/20/2008, 10:14 PM
Maybe, but TX did jump that final week. OK beat a good Okie St team, UF beat a ranked FSU team, and TX beats insignificant Texas A&M, and Texas surpasses OU and UF in the human polls for that week. That is in my mind extremely arbitrary - there was no new information that should have vaulted TX higher. The fact that TX beat OU on a neutral field should have already been factored in.

My point is that arbritary voter manipulation could have, almost did, cost you a chance at the MNC, just as it could have cost UF a chance if there was more voter love for TX at the very end.

The only reason a school like OU, UF or TX would oppose a playoff is that they would be scared they might lose, which is not really consistent with the traditions of those schools. However, I can fully understand why the Big 10 may not want a playoff.

Actually, that final week poll Texas didn't gain ground insomuch as the #6-10 ranked teams gained the votes that Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma and yes even Texas lost.

What I'm stating, and probably should have clarified in my last post is that the 2003 whinefest of Mack's likely cost him when he attempted the same tactic in 2008. First time shame on the pollsters for pushing Texas past Cal into a BCS bowl, second time shame on Mack for thinking the pollsters don't remember the backlash they got for putting him over the top over Cal.

L-Boy
12/20/2008, 11:21 PM
Actually, that final week poll Texas didn't gain ground insomuch as the #6-10 ranked teams gained the votes that Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma and yes even Texas lost.

What I'm stating, and probably should have clarified in my last post is that the 2003 whinefest of Mack's likely cost him when he attempted the same tactic in 2008. First time shame on the pollsters for pushing Texas past Cal into a BCS bowl, second time shame on Mack for thinking the pollsters don't remember the backlash they got for putting him over the top over Cal.

You make an interesting point on the BCS. TX was basically flat in the Harris, but did pick up 26 votes in the coaches poll (a poll which historically is more apt to jump around in an attempt to manipulate outcomes). However, Bama, UF and OU did fall. Not sure I understand why - I did not notice that. Whatever the case I do think the fact that TX gained ground relative to the others when there was no rational reason for it was evidence of voter manipulation. Whether Mack Brown campaigning hurt or helped is hard to say. The media buzz that week was sympathy for poor TX - the trick for the coach is to acknowledge that but not too much.

I don't recall what Brown did in 2003 - they were #6 in final BCS, and I don't see CAL in the top 25, so not sure what you are referring to.

SouthFortySooner
12/20/2008, 11:48 PM
I feel like most of the anti-Texas whining post are in reaction to something new. To not react would be boring.

Now, there could be a thread started everyday which would go something like. REMEMBER THE 2008 SEASON, LONGHORNS LOST TO A TEAM WE BEAT DOWN. or TEXAS LOST TO TECH!!!!! , TEXAS LOSES, or simply TEXAS SUCKS. It would all work and the texasdrizzle which troll here would love it.

SouthFortySooner
12/20/2008, 11:50 PM
Did I mention texas sucks. :confused:

birddog
12/21/2008, 01:22 AM
I would agree that you can get to a point where a playoff if too involved could take away from the regular season. A 16 team may start to get there. That is what I think is the beauty of the 8 team scenario. All the legit contenders lost one game. If you lost more than one this year, you are out of the running, so the argument that the regular season becomes less important does not hold water.

So in my mind, what you lose going from the present system to an 8 team playoff is the somewhat arbitrary way in which the top teams compete for the MNC. You say, let's pick two by a beauty contest, and declare the winner MNC. I say pick 8 and let em play. If #9 is excluded, well, life is hard.

While it doesn't happen often, occasionally there are more than 2 top conference undefeated teams, evidence Auburn a few years ago. Also, a match up of the top two undefeateds, if 2 undefeateds exists, doesn't necessarily give you the top two - evidence 1996 when #3 UF beat #1 undefeated FSU and #4 Ohio State beat #2 undefeated Arizona - and UF ends up #1. If the BCS were in place, FSU plays Arizona for the whole ball of wax, and turns out both were losers.

alot of us here been arguing these same points on this board for a long time, but curly is a hardheaded son of a b and you'll get nowhere if your aim is to "cure" him of his indifference.

Curly Bill
12/21/2008, 01:26 AM
alot of us here been arguing these same points on this board for a long time, but curly is a hardheaded son of a b and you'll get nowhere if your aim is to "cure" him of his indifference.

That's the truth.

L-Boy
12/21/2008, 02:03 AM
That's the truth.

The status quo has actually been fairly good for UF in recent years - in the last 2 years, UF has been able to make into the final over other similar 1 loss teams, so I don't argue that playoff point in self interest.

L-Boy
12/21/2008, 02:09 AM
I feel like most of the anti-Texas whining post are in reaction to something new. To not react would be boring.

Now, there could be a thread started everyday which would go something like. REMEMBER THE 2008 SEASON, LONGHORNS LOST TO A TEAM WE BEAT DOWN. or TEXAS LOST TO TECH!!!!! , TEXAS LOSES, or simply TEXAS SUCKS. It would all work and the texasdrizzle which troll here would love it.

In 2003/2004 - LSU beat OU for the Natl championship, or at least a share of it. LSU's only loss was a beat down from FL, at LSU, fairly convincingly (something like 21-6). Not that this fact has much to do with the price of tea in China, other than it didn't really make UF fans feel too much better about that season nor the Ron Zook era.

Leroy Lizard
12/21/2008, 02:17 AM
This year, Boise St. finished #9 and undefeated. So what happened to the argument that a playoff lets everyone compete for the national title?

Finish undefeated, and don't get to compete for the national title. Yeah, there won't be any complaining?

L-Boy
12/21/2008, 02:35 AM
This year, Boise St. finished #9 and undefeated. So what happened to the argument that a playoff lets everyone compete for the national title?

Finish undefeated, and don't get to compete for the national title. Yeah, there won't be any complaining?

I think I addressed Boise St. No system is going to be perfect. However, that doesn't mean you don't try to come up with something better than an election for the national title game.

I will give BSU credit, they have tried to schedule some decent teams out of conference, but at the end of the day, they didn't beat anybody who ended up in the top 25. Unlike some people, I don't think being undefeated is an automatic entitlement to anything. Would BSU fans, complain? Sure. Would anybody else really care? No.

Crucifax Autumn
12/21/2008, 03:06 AM
Playoff or not, all the whiners need to just bend over and take it.

When they're done if they want to learn about "them there puters" so be it. Maybe a basic understanding of the rules IS a good idea.

Leroy Lizard
12/21/2008, 03:09 AM
No system is going to be perfect.

But this one doesn't even solve the problem everyone keeps harping about. I can't count the number of times that I have heard that we need a playoff for all the Eastern Michigans of the world. After all, they have no chance of winning a "beauty pageant." We need a playoff to "settle it on the field." Well, Boise St. didn't lose any games, but I guess they're not going to get their opportunity to show they are the best.

The concern for the little guys was nothing more than a pack of bs. Crocodile tears.

SteelCitySooner
12/21/2008, 03:10 AM
I am sure they will come up with another "OU" rule after this year. Which is fine, it'll help us next year :D

Crucifax Autumn
12/21/2008, 03:11 AM
Yep...the little guys need to start playing the big boys if they want a big boy trophy.

SteelCitySooner
12/21/2008, 03:13 AM
You in drunkytown again Crucifax? I am :D

Leroy Lizard
12/21/2008, 03:38 AM
Yep...the little guys need to start playing the big boys if they want a big boy trophy.

As soon as a little guy beats a big boy, the big boy is no longer a big boy if another loss or two comes. If you are Western Michigan, you have to pray that the big boy you beat doesn't lose more than one or two more games through the rest of the season.

If Western Michigan had beaten Ohio St., would that even count as a victory over a Top-20 team? It would be close. How much love would the voters give Ohio St. after getting blown out by USC, losing to Penn St., and losing to Western Michigan?

And the big boys are not going to schedule a little guy unless it is a home game. How fair is that?

Besides, there are only so many big names to go around. Western Michigan may not be able to schedule Ohio St. simply because Ohio St. refuses. They can schedule Purdue, but no one is going to credit them for beating a middling Boilermaker team. This isn't the NFL, where the league sets the schedules. Ohio St. doesn't have to schedule anyone it doesn't want to.

Crucifax Autumn
12/21/2008, 06:53 AM
True enough, but the little guys can throw a media fit about how they've been trying for years to schedule the big boy and eventually shame 'em into playing. Mackish I know, but with a better reason than "I don't get them puters".

adoniijahsooner
12/21/2008, 07:32 AM
True enough, but the little guys can throw a media fit about how they've been trying for years to schedule the big boy and eventually shame 'em into playing. Mackish I know, but with a better reason than "I don't get them puters".

Agreed. Not that I didn't think he should be disappointed; but saying he doesn't understand the computers is ridiculous. I have always been a sooner fan that cheers for other big 12 teams, when they play in bowl games and out of conference, but after this past fiasco, i really hate every other team in college football. It is all OU all the time, Boomer Sooner all the time, and I wish Billy Sims would have screamed in Mack's ear and blew his drums out. :mad: :texan: :mad:

soonerduke
12/21/2008, 12:07 PM
he just wants to be like his hero.
http://www.maggiore.net/greenacres/museum/images/mus8.jpg

Scott D
12/21/2008, 12:07 PM
You make an interesting point on the BCS. TX was basically flat in the Harris, but did pick up 26 votes in the coaches poll (a poll which historically is more apt to jump around in an attempt to manipulate outcomes). However, Bama, UF and OU did fall. Not sure I understand why - I did not notice that. Whatever the case I do think the fact that TX gained ground relative to the others when there was no rational reason for it was evidence of voter manipulation. Whether Mack Brown campaigning hurt or helped is hard to say. The media buzz that week was sympathy for poor TX - the trick for the coach is to acknowledge that but not too much.

I don't recall what Brown did in 2003 - they were #6 in final BCS, and I don't see CAL in the top 25, so not sure what you are referring to.

I had the season wrong, it was the 2004 season when Mack did his whinefest about how his team deserved the opportunity to go to a BCS bowl because their only loss was the 12-0 loss to OU.

However, Brown began lobbying the voters in the two polls based on human voters (one on college football coaches, the other on Associated Press writers) to place the Longhorns high enough in the rankings to ensure they received a Bowl Championship Series (BCS) bowl-bid. The rules of the BCS were such that Texas might get left out of the eight chosen teams even though they ranked fifth nationally. A lackluster win by Cal over Southern Miss gave the Longhorns the sufficient swing votes they needed to make it into the Rose Bowl, one of the four BCS bowls.[4] This lobbying effort and ensuing result led to criticism of Brown for playing politics to get his team into a top bowl. Thus, he was no longer criticized for failing to get into a top bowl, he was criticized for doing so (and the way he had done it).

The Cal/Southern Miss game was 26-16 for the Bears and had been rescheduled from mid September because of Hurricane Ivan. It should also be noted that at the end of that season the AP sent it's "Cease and Desist" letter to the BCS in using their poll in the formula.

So another thing Mack was responsible for....well that and the overrated perception of Auburn.

Leroy Lizard
12/21/2008, 12:26 PM
True enough, but the little guys can throw a media fit about how they've been trying for years to schedule the big boy and eventually shame 'em into playing.

How are you going to shame Ohio St. into playing Western Michigan? Who would even remotely care about Western Michigan's problem?

Cam
12/21/2008, 12:40 PM
If Mack can't see that his OOC schedule matters to the computers and margin of victory hasn't for years, then no amount of computer "experts" is going to be able to help.

They'll have the same problem next year. Wyoming, seriously???

2k2 c5
12/21/2008, 01:09 PM
Did I mention texas sucks. :confused:

No need. It's an understood.

L-Boy
12/21/2008, 01:28 PM
As soon as a little guy beats a big boy, the big boy is no longer a big boy if another loss or two comes. If you are Western Michigan, you have to pray that the big boy you beat doesn't lose more than one or two more games through the rest of the season.

If Western Michigan had beaten Ohio St., would that even count as a victory over a Top-20 team? It would be close. How much love would the voters give Ohio St. after getting blown out by USC, losing to Penn St., and losing to Western Michigan?

And the big boys are not going to schedule a little guy unless it is a home game. How fair is that?

Besides, there are only so many big names to go around. Western Michigan may not be able to schedule Ohio St. simply because Ohio St. refuses. They can schedule Purdue, but no one is going to credit them for beating a middling Boilermaker team. This isn't the NFL, where the league sets the schedules. Ohio St. doesn't have to schedule anyone it doesn't want to.

What the little guys can do:

1. Play better teams away, and also pull a nice $$ purse for doing so.
2. Join a better conference
3. Band together with other better Little guys to boost SOS. Utah made it in, because they play a more difficult schedule.

Again, I don't buy the argument that just because somebody is undefeated they are necessarily entitled to anything. What this system would do is let the little guys who play a big boy schedule actually have a shot at playing for the NC. That is something they have never had before.

Scott D
12/21/2008, 06:03 PM
Utah was helped by three things.

1. The Pac-10 (last night's display excluded) is still terrible this season.
2. The perception of Utah since 2004 (thanks to your current coach)
3. The reputations of TCU and BYU.

Boise St. was hurt by one factoid and one factoid only.

1. 60-4 in conference games since joining the Weakest Athletic Conference.

L-Boy
12/21/2008, 08:51 PM
Utah was helped by three things.

1. The Pac-10 (last night's display excluded) is still terrible this season.
2. The perception of Utah since 2004 (thanks to your current coach)
3. The reputations of TCU and BYU.

Boise St. was hurt by one factoid and one factoid only.

1. 60-4 in conference games since joining the Weakest Athletic Conference.

I think I heard the mountain west was 5 of 6 against the Pac 10 this year. It wasn't just perception with Utah, they were up there in the computer polls too. You beat 2 top 20 teams, TCU and BYU, beat a respectable Oregan St team, and win the rest of your games, including a season opener at Michigan, guess what, you're in the mix.

MamaMia
12/21/2008, 09:02 PM

I know you guys didn't do it that often, but you sure did try pretty hard to break that scoring record. Congrats on doing it, but I would not have risked Bradford that long knowing he was going into surgery the next day.The doctor said no food or water after midnight before the surgery. He didn't say anything about no football the day before.

Mack is an idiot.

DenverSooner751
12/21/2008, 09:07 PM
:mack: eats raw chicken and then sues the super market because he got salmonella.

Crucifax Autumn
12/21/2008, 09:11 PM
Mack could lose his last piece in checkers and say "I didn't know that's how it worked so I still win!"

Scott D
12/21/2008, 11:03 PM
I think I heard the mountain west was 5 of 6 against the Pac 10 this year. It wasn't just perception with Utah, they were up there in the computer polls too. You beat 2 top 20 teams, TCU and BYU, beat a respectable Oregan St team, and win the rest of your games, including a season opener at Michigan, guess what, you're in the mix.

Utah also started the season in a pretty good spot in the polls as well. I never said they weren't legit, just pointed out three factors that helped them in comparison to the media's other lovechild, Boise State. The fact that the Mountain West took the best teams the original WAC had to offer when it formed helped a great deal.

badger
12/22/2008, 06:57 AM
There was no way for us to tell that Cincy and TCU were going to be good this year, and history tells us that Washington was once a lot better (much like future non-conference opponents Miami and Tennessee were once a lot better) but at least we're scheduling name-schools. That is your best chance of having a good non-conference season.

Some of you are saying the little guys should schedule the big guys on their schedule. Well, so should the big guys! The SEC needs to step up and get a power conference-versus-power conference thing going with the Big 12, or even the Big 10. Have teams like Bammer play teams like Oklahoma every "pre-season."

I would say that Boise State needs to get in a better conference, but unless their local market steps up to sell out the Humanitarian Bowl, they're probably not going to budge from their mediocre schedule. While initial reports had only about two dozen fans attending the game from Maryland and Nevada, it looks like each school will each bring under 1,000 each.

Scott D
12/22/2008, 12:35 PM
I mean really though baj. Unless you live in Idaho, who really wants to go to Boise in late december? It's no mistake that the Humanitarian Bowl was a 31k seat stadium that only had 26k show up for Georgia Tech v. Fresno State. They only sell that bowl out when Boise shows up.

Jacie
12/22/2008, 01:21 PM
Short of doming the blue field, no one who lives south of the 45 degree North latitude line wants to attend a football game in Boise, Idaho. Maybe if they installed heated seats throughout that would help to keep people there a little longer but I imagine the fourth quarter of this one will have fewer people in the stands than a game between John Marshall-Northwest Classen . . .

Scott D
12/22/2008, 03:12 PM
Short of doming the blue field, no one who lives south of the 45 degree North latitude line wants to attend a football game in Boise, Idaho. Maybe if they installed heated seats throughout that would help to keep people there a little longer but I imagine the fourth quarter of this one will have fewer people in the stands than a game between John Marshall-Northwest Classen . . .

try nobody outside maybe a 15 mile radius outside of Boise wants to attend a football game there.

I Am Right
12/22/2008, 05:13 PM
Nobody and I mean Nobody is giving Ohio State a chance, I hope Ohio State kicks texas a**.

If we win the NCG on Jan 8th, Jan 12th, in Norman, when we play BB against texas, it is going to be something else.

DenverSooner751
12/22/2008, 09:55 PM
Mack Brown invented football.

badger
12/23/2008, 11:53 AM
Mack Brown invented football.

Mack Brown has done for football what player flopping and coach begging to the refs has done for basketball. If he isn't stopped soon he's be the college football version of Coach K... without all the conference and national and championships (plural form)

pweitkem
12/23/2008, 01:28 PM
Last few Bowl seasons I've bet against the team that feels most snubbed... either out of the nat'l championship or the BCS. Good betting practice if you haven't tried it... Texas is this year's bet.

nytehorn
12/23/2008, 09:54 PM
People, everyone has their bean counters, and the ones at Texas, and Oklahoma, saw the computer polls turning towards OU. What is a coach to do? Fight for his team! What if Mack would have just shrugged his shoulders, and said "Oh Well, **** happens"?? Think he would have his players wanting to play for him??? Put the shoe on the other foot. You think Stoops would not have fought EXACTLY the same way, when OU was just as deserving?!?!
The only diff this year was that Stoops, AND Mack, KNEW OU was gonna pass Texas in the computer polls, just as I did. Stoops could play it cool, while Mack could not. Think about it. Roles reversed, I cannot see Stoops laying down and taking the easy way out either.

47straight
12/23/2008, 10:27 PM
People, everyone has their bean counters, and the ones at Texas, and Oklahoma, saw the computer polls turning towards OU. What is a coach to do? Fight for his team! What if Mack would have just shrugged his shoulders, and said "Oh Well, **** happens"?? Think he would have his players wanting to play for him??? Put the shoe on the other foot. You think Stoops would not have fought EXACTLY the same way, when OU was just as deserving?!?!
The only diff this year was that Stoops, AND Mack, KNEW OU was gonna pass Texas in the computer polls, just as I did. Stoops could play it cool, while Mack could not. Think about it. Roles reversed, I cannot see Stoops laying down and taking the easy way out either.

Nope, sorry. He wouldn't.

Cam
12/23/2008, 10:33 PM
You may be right nyte:texan:, but it also didn't take Stoops roughly 5 years to figure out how to schedule within the system either. Once he figured it out, he changed his OOC scheduling habits. Apparently, Mack still somehow doesn't get it, or refuses to acknowledge that he was stupid when it came to said system.

Next year will be more of the same. Here's your OOC schedule for 2009, just as ****ty as 2008.

Louisiana Monroe
at Wyoming
Central Florida
Texas El Paso

Seriously, WTF is that?

You and your fellow :texan: fans should be calling for DeLoss Dodds' head instead of bitching about the system that your administration agreed to. Oddly enough, I've not heard one :texan: fan say anything about this POS OOC schedule. Are your heads buried in the sand, or do you really just not give a damn?

Boomer Mooner
12/23/2008, 10:44 PM

Agree with 47 straight. No f'n way.

It isn't taking the easy way out. It's facing reality and movin' on down the road with some dignity because all the bitchin' and whining won't do anything but make you look like a crybaby.

Stoops would say the same thing Colt said...beat Tech and there is nothing to worry about. Same as us, you had control of you're own destiny. Once you lose that first game you lost any right to bitch.

It sucks being Texas right now and I feel for you, really. But don't say Stoops would be the same titty baby Mack is, cause he wouldn't.

SoonerBacker
12/23/2008, 10:59 PM
And in my mind, there is a huge difference in "fighting for your team" and crying to the media every chance you get about a system that you knew about going into the season. Bob Stoops has fought for his team. But he has stood up to the constant media onslaught against his team and pointed out the FACTS instead of whining about how unfair everything seems to be. For example, the fact that the Big XII South ended in a 3 way tie and that his team had a superior non-conference schedule.

Collier11
12/23/2008, 11:36 PM
The coaches job isnt to worry about computers, it is to win games. Mack lost 1 game just like us and Florida and Penn St and Tech and Bama. Do they not have the same gripe as ut? What makes ut's argument better than the others. Mack needs to get over it, I usually try and stick up for the guy but he just needs to drop this

Jacie
12/23/2008, 11:37 PM
With all due respect to nyte and all the other horn posters here at SoonerFans.com . . .

Te*as fans = crybabies

This sentiment starts at the top of the UT football program and is reflected by the continued whining and sniping by the horn faithful over what is a done deal.

I would urge you, nyte, Lid, et al to go over to hornfans.com at least once a day and post how this behavior brings nothing but embarrassment and ridicule to the state of Texas, UT and it's fabled football program from not just OU fans but pretty much the rest of the football-watching universe, and urge them to move on.

Collier11
12/23/2008, 11:41 PM
I think all schools fans, including OU have their whiny and b*tchy fans. That is a given, what is embarrassing is that ESPN and Mack wont drop it. They keep acting like they got robbed, NO!!! They lost out within the system that was agreed on like it or not. Rules are rules, tie-breakers are tie-breakers, playing bad ooc games dont help you, deal with it!

BoulderSooner79
12/23/2008, 11:54 PM

I don't blame Brown for playing politics and I don't even consider it whining*. I don't think he really believes the system was unfair - he was just trying to persuade voters that it was. You have to be an actor to be a politician. Stoops would not have played the game the same because his personality is too different. He wears his emotions on his sleeve and cannot hide the fact that he is annoyed at something. He would have stated his case tersely and any further campaigning would have hurt him and he knows it. Having said that I don't think Brown or any horn fans flying banners impacted any votes. I mean the bias is a little obvious :rolleyes: I *do* believe that the ESPN guys turned a few votes because those are writers/analyst appealing to other writers/analysts and that definitely annoyed me. But the big12 invited the BCS into the process and the BCS is a very political entity itself, so I guess it worked out as planned.

*At least it wasn't whining before the final BCS poll and I haven't followed what he has said since. If he is still crying foul, then it can only hurt his own team in preparing for tOSU.

Leroy Lizard
12/24/2008, 12:19 AM
Next year will be more of the same. Here's your OOC schedule for 2009, just as ****ty as 2008.

Louisiana Monroe
at Wyoming
Central Florida
Texas El Paso

Seriously, WTF is that?

Now just one cotton pickin' minute! These games are scheduled years in advance. Mack Brown is no fortune teller. How was he to know that Louisiana Monroe, Wyoming, Central Florida, and UTEP were going to suck?

TexasLidig8r
12/24/2008, 10:16 AM
Now just one cotton pickin' minute! These games are scheduled years in advance. Mack Brown is no fortune teller. How was he to know that Louisiana Monroe, Wyoming, Central Florida, and UTEP were going to suck?

Both Utah and Arkansas bagged on us.

We were supposed to have Utah in Austin and the Piggies in Fayettenam.

LaMonroe was substituted in for Utah and Wyoming was subbed in for the Piggies.

MikeInNorman
12/24/2008, 10:42 AM

Whatever the excu.....err, explaination, you do realize that with that non-conference schedule, Texas must go undefeated to make it to the BCS championship game?

OPSEC
12/24/2008, 10:46 AM
"We have some decisions to make as coaches. We've got to learn more about the computers. That's really important to us," Brown said Thursday. "I've never studied them. I've never thought about them. I'd like to know what information is important to them to make sure I don't hurt our team. "

Sorry.....guys an igit!

badger
12/24/2008, 11:20 AM

Nice try. We've had teams bag on us too... like Notre Dame when our home-and-home was supposed to come in Norman, or bowl-bound Middle Tennessee when they were offered more money by some Mississippi school (can't remember if it was Ole Miss or the Crooms).

Despite that, we've kept agreements with NAME teams this year, like Cincy and TCU. You can't tell me that you can't schedule like-opponents from other conferences. Not Texas. You guys travel too well for a high rise mid-major to not want to schedule you to visit.

Modest proposal: Big 10 vs. Big 12 challenge. All of our guys play all of your guys. Our spares to be omitted shall be one that always end up on a major conference opponent's schedule anyways: Baylor.

Iowa vs. Iowa State (like usual)
Illinois vs. Mizzou (no reason to stop their little ongoing tradition!)
Texas vs. Ohio State (you guys seem to like to beat up each other)
Kansas vs Indiana (basketball schools in basketball's off-season)
Kansas State vs Michigan (they will sell out the big house regardless of the opponent - might as well make it KSU - the battle of the has-beens!)
Nebraska vs Penn State (omg storied programs! omg best fans meet worst fans! omg omg omg!)
Oklahoma vs Wisconsin (make the game during the day and early in the season, or the fans will be extra... um... nice!)
Oklahoma State vs. Michigan State (so...much...STATE!)
Texas A&M vs Minnesota (hey, nobody cares about your teams as much as your respective fanbases do! you both used to be good in your minds only!)
Colorado vs. Northwestern (a throw-away games for throw-away opponents)
Texas Tech and Purdue (a fun game of "nobody can find us on the map unless you're from there!")

nytehorn
12/24/2008, 12:31 PM
I totally agree, that once the vote was in, it was time to move on. I honestly don't know why ESPN, or Mack, keep hashing about it. I personally like the tie-breaker rule, as it has a good purpose...to get the higher ranked team a better chance to get to the MNC Game. The final BCS poll made you the higher ranked team, so it was time to stop the politicking and concentrate on the bowl game.

TexasLidig8r
12/24/2008, 01:57 PM
Despite that, we've kept agreements with NAME teams this year, like Cincy and TCU. You can't tell me that you can't schedule like-opponents from other conferences. Not Texas. You guys travel too well for a high rise mid-major to not want to schedule you to visit.

Enough with the Cincy is a "name" program. They won their first conference title since Hitler was running roughshod over Poland. As for TCU, we played them last year. Again, luck dictated they were better this year than last.

Modest proposal: Big 10 vs. Big 12 challenge. All of our guys play all of your guys. Our spares to be omitted shall be one that always end up on a major conference opponent's schedule anyways: Baylor.

I like this idea A LOT! As for the spares, right now, it would be aggy. And some modest changes.

Iowa vs. Iowa State (like usual)
Illinois vs. Mizzou (no reason to stop their little ongoing tradition!)
Oklahoma vs. Ohio State (more similar fan bases)
Kansas vs Indiana (basketball schools in basketball's off-season)
Texas vs Michigan (Academically similar. Meatchicken will be back. Problem though. Michigan will never come south to play a non-conference game)
Nebraska vs Penn State (storied programs! best fans meet worst fans! )
Oklahoma State vs Wisconsin (Kind of the battle between schools that should be traditionally stronger.. but.. aren't.)
Kansas State vs. Michigan State (so...much...STATE!)
Colorado vs Minnesota (Rocky Mountain State aggy v. frozen state aggy)
Baylor vs. Northwestern (Let the private schools fight it out)
Texas Tech vs Purdue (a fun game of "nobody can find us on the map unless you're from there!")

That would be sweet.

Have a great Christmas Badj.

DenverSooner751
12/24/2008, 02:16 PM
CU isn't really the Rocky Mountain State aggy, that honor would go to CSU, if you want to get REALLY aggy, you'd have to look at some of the non D1 schools up here, UNC (Northern Colorado) - not too sure if they are really that aggy, but the town of Greeley is VERY aggy.

As far as the whinning and what not goes, maybe my skin has become thick to it, but I have not really heard much more of it recently. ESPN keeps on the throttle with it, but hey, that's their job, creative stir so they have something to talk about.

As for the "shoe being on the other foot" issue, well.....it's not, so I really have no opinion. My debate is not OU/Stoops would handle this so much better than UT/Mack, my debate is, Mack was pretty ridiculous in how he handled it and I do fault him for it because there were plenty of other ways for him to represent his program in the discussion, for example, I don't recall hearing Mack say "well, if would have beat TTU."

Colt on the other hand was quite stand up about the whole thing, he is okay in my book.

badger
12/24/2008, 02:44 PM
That would be sweet.

Have a great Christmas Badj.

You too. Please beat Ohio State, but not by too much. We don't want anymore three-way-tie talk, now do we? :D

As for Cincy not being a "name school," keep in mind that I'm not saying that Cincy is a good program. By all accounts, Cincy is a lucky dog and not a very established program at all that will fall to shreds a la Hawaii after their coach leaves. The thing is that it is a "name school." Washington is a name school. TCU is a name school. Miami is a name school. Tennessee is a name school. Oregon is a name school. UCLA is a name school. These programs might suck now or be losing, but they're legit "name schools!"

Your non-conference opponents, other than Arky, are not "name schools." They have smaller student populations, smaller fan bases, smaller football histories... they're small and nobody will care when you win. Beat a school with a big name, however, or just announce that you're going to play them, and TV and ticket sales skyrocket. Think anyone cared that Washington was awful? Hell, no! We're making a road trip to Seattle, baby!

Oh, and the Big 12 vs. Big 10 proposal is for a simple reason: conference tie-ins are hard to back out of. Think Ohio State would bail on you guys when Meat Chicken has a big game coming up with a Big 12 opponent to fill the big house? NO. Baylor has no problem scheduling tough teams because of their pansy reputation and Big 12 ties - even THEY are a "name school" for their Big 12 ties.

Soooo... modest proposal No. 2... Big 12 vs. SEC series. All are home-and-home, of course.

OU vs. Bammer. We need more of these. Now.
OSU vs Georgia. Why stop now? You have a good thing going!
Texas vs. Arky. Same as above.
Texas A&M vs. Auburn. The aggies can pretend they're Bama and revenge for Bear Bryant's departure, much like they can pretend they're as good as Texas.
Texas Tech vs. Mississippi State. Tech likes the pansy schedule.
Baylor vs. Vanderbilt. It's a private school blowout! Everyone must go!
Iowa State vs. LSU. LSU gets to keep their pansy preseason.
Kansas vs. Florida. Who's your basketball daddy now?
Nebraska vs. South Carolina. Legendary program versus legendary coach. yay!
Kansas State vs. Ole Miss. The battle of recent coaching changes!
Colorado vs. Tennessee. Vols travel well, but Colorado doesn't equals sellouts!

Hokiefan
12/24/2008, 02:54 PM
Agree with 47 straight. No f'n way.

It isn't taking the easy way out. It's facing reality and movin' on down the road with some dignity because all the bitchin' and whining won't do anything but make you look like a crybaby.

Stoops would say the same thing Colt said...beat Tech and there is nothing to worry about. Same as us, you had control of you're own destiny. Once you lose that first game you lost any right to bitch.

It sucks being Texas right now and I feel for you, really. But don't say Stoops would be the same titty baby Mack is, cause he wouldn't.

Until there is a playoff involving at least four teams there is going to be no right or wrong way for a championship quality team to respond to being snubbed by the BCS. Very few Oklahoma fans would be taking offense to Stoops behaving in the same manner as Brown if the roles were reversed. I'm just a simple hokie fan, but even I understand that rooting for a particular team does not allow you to corner the market on all that is ethical, moral, and good.

adoniijahsooner
12/24/2008, 03:04 PM
Until there is a playoff involving at least four teams there is going to be no right or wrong way for a championship quality team to respond to being snubbed by the BCS. Very few Oklahoma fans would be taking offense to Stoops behaving in the same manner as Brown if the roles were reversed. I'm just a simple hokie fan, but even I understand that rooting for a particular team does not allow you to corner the market on all that is ethical, moral, and good.

That's the thing, Bob had a chance to do the exact same politicking and pleading before the rankings came out; but he declined, because he thought it was classless.

nytehorn
12/24/2008, 03:22 PM
Badj, you make some great posts, but who in their right mind BEFORE the season started, would think that TCU, or especially Cinci, would turn out as good as they did? Arkansas and UTEP had good seasons when we scheduled them. Just like Buffalo. Who would have thought they would go from one of the worst teams in the nation last year, to conference champs this year?!? I wish we, as well as the other Big 12 schools, like you suggested, could get a contract for an every year game with an authentic OOC team, just like the ACC-Big 10 Challenge in BB.

adoniijahsooner
12/24/2008, 03:27 PM
Badj, you make some great posts, but who in their right mind BEFORE the season started, would think that TCU, or especially Cinci, would turn out as good as they did? Arkansas and UTEP had good seasons when we scheduled them. Just like Buffalo. Who would have thought they would go from one of the worst teams in the nation last year, to conference champs this year?!? I wish we, as well as the other Big 12 schools, like you suggested, could get a contract for an every year game with an authentic OOC team, just like the ACC-Big 10 Challenge in BB.

T CU is competitive every year, an Cincinnati won 10 games last year, with a strong defense returning for this year. Stoops wasnt trying to schedule cupcakes.

badger
12/24/2008, 03:37 PM

Yeah, when we scheduled Washington they nearly played us in the 2000 title... but then again, you could always just beat Texas Tech like we did and we would have nothing to banter about :P

I would like to see us have a cross-sport matchup for as many of our teams as possible. That would make the Big 10 ideal, since they still have wrestling programs, heh. We could go against them in everything from football to baseball to women's basketball to gymnastics. Thus, every sport is guaranteed a name school on their schedule and something for fans to look forward to... and dare I say, establish a new rivalry???

I know Lid wants Michigan (don't we all, now that they suck), but you really should keep hammering away at Ohio State. The more often you two play the more you'll look forward to the next matchup, kind of like OU-Texas.

nytehorn
12/24/2008, 03:37 PM
No sir, ado, as I stated before, Stoops KNEW he didn't have to. Unless the pollsters drastically changed, it was obvious OU was going to jump Texas. Stoops would have politicked too, if he felt OU was being left out. All Stoops had to do was sit back with a sly grin on his face, knowing it was going to happen. Hey, I have no grudge. It could have been us in the Big 12 CCG, and we could have choked, and let Mizzou win. That was not a guarantee win. Ou took care of business, and they have every right to be where they are.

nytehorn
12/24/2008, 03:57 PM
ado, everyone schedules games 2-4 years in advance. TCU was 11-1 when we scheduled them for last year, and we beat them 34-13. Simular to your score. I would love to see a better OOC schedule, but I don't see it happening, unless a playoff system is adopted.

adoniijahsooner
12/24/2008, 06:01 PM
Yeah, sometimes the high road is the advantageous, especially when you have Mack and ESPN blatantly spouting off lies and fuzzy math. I even read a few articles from media not associate with epsn, pretty much say that Mack and all the politicking was turn off, even bringing up what happen with cal situation.
As far as scheduling goes; our schedule had the potential to be much stronger this year, but stoops says some school bailed out on us. If Texas beats us every, and their non conference schedule is as bad as it was this year, then it is possible we will finish ahead of them. I am playoff advocate all the way, just to stop the politicking and crying about rules and what not. Question to anyone who says that there will be whining if we had a playoff. In 2004 which team was left out of the Orange Bowl? Now tell me which team was left out March Madness, that anyone give a **** about? Exactly.

Scott D
12/25/2008, 12:05 AM
No sir, ado, as I stated before, Stoops KNEW he didn't have to. Unless the pollsters drastically changed, it was obvious OU was going to jump Texas. Stoops would have politicked too, if he felt OU was being left out. All Stoops had to do was sit back with a sly grin on his face, knowing it was going to happen. Hey, I have no grudge. It could have been us in the Big 12 CCG, and we could have choked, and let Mizzou win. That was not a guarantee win. Ou took care of business, and they have every right to be where they are.

so you firmly believe that Mack's begging and pleading in 2004 to get moved ahead of Cal didn't come back to haunt him 4 years later? Really? You honestly believe that?

richsooner
12/25/2008, 07:18 PM
Why do we care about this? Every time the idiot opens his mouth he makes a fool out of himself. Let him continue to whine and sniffle so all of college football can see him for what he really is!!!!!!!!!

tulsaoilerfan
12/25/2008, 09:25 PM
This thread really needs to be locked; waste of time and bandwith(no offense to the fine people that posted in it though) :)

IronSoonerMan
12/25/2008, 09:28 PM
This thread really needs to be locked; waste of time and bandwith(no offense to the fine people that posted in it though) :)

You are right. But before it is let Me say:

Fuch Saxet!

L-Boy
12/25/2008, 09:30 PM
so you firmly believe that Mack's begging and pleading in 2004 to get moved ahead of Cal didn't come back to haunt him 4 years later? Really? You honestly believe that?

I don't buy that. You guys are living in an OU/TX world, those these things stick with you for years. Outside of the Big 12, I don't think many people remembered it (I certainly didn't) or if they did they didn't care. Other coaches have campaigned to some degree. Stoops did a little bit this year, Meyer did in 2006. Probably less whiny than Brown though. Unfortunately, this is what we are stuck with as long as we have a beauty contest to elect the top 2 teams to play for BCS championship.

IronSoonerMan
12/25/2008, 09:39 PM
I don't buy that. You guys are living in an OU/TX world, those these things stick with you for years. Outside of the Big 12, I don't think many people remembered it (I certainly didn't) or if they did they didn't care. Other coaches have campaigned to some degree. Stoops did a little bit this year, Meyer did in 2006. Probably less whiny than Brown though. Unfortunately, this is what we are stuck with as long as we have a beauty contest to elect the top 2 teams to play for BCS championship.

Exactly! IMHO that is Your best post to date!

Curly Bill
12/26/2008, 01:47 PM

Yeah, instead lets have a beauty contest to pick the top 4, 8, 16, whatever...teams to play in a playoff, that'll fix everything! :rolleyes:

Curly Bill
12/26/2008, 01:48 PM
Exactly! IMHO that is Your best post to date!

See above post.

Scott D
12/26/2008, 02:11 PM

I'm pretty sure they're still pissed off in Berkeley. Hell, they are still pissed in Eugene over 2001. In Miami they're still pissed off about 2000. I think it's safe to say, that in places that the matter affected the a team in question that it's still sticking with them for years.

L-Boy
12/26/2008, 08:55 PM
I'm pretty sure they're still pissed off in Berkeley. Hell, they are still pissed in Eugene over 2001. In Miami they're still pissed off about 2000. I think it's safe to say, that in places that the matter affected the a team in question that it's still sticking with them for years.

The reason people are pi$$ed off is due to the fact they got excluded, and often rightly so. I don't blame TX fans for being disgruntled, but the problem is the system, not that TX got screwed per se.

Sooner70
12/26/2008, 09:21 PM
The second best team in Texas shouldn't expect to play for the NC.