PDA

View Full Version : Get yer dead horse beating right here.....

ruf/nekdad
12/20/2008, 05:21 AM
Its old news now but if you didn't read this article in the TW, you should. Its a classy bunch we have here in Oklahoma;

Bradford OK with Sims
Sims says he's sorry for shouting 'Boomer!' during presentation.

VOCAL SIMS
Billy Sims: Shouted "Boomer" 11 times during Saturday's Heisman trophy presentation.

By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
Published: 12/16/2008 2:27 AM
Last Modified: 12/16/2008 3:09 AM

NEW YORK — On the biggest night of his life, Sam Bradford had a message for Billy Sims.

"I love Billy," Bradford said.

Bradford was formally welcomed into the Heisman family Monday night during a black-tie banquet at the New York Hilton in midtown Manhattan. Bradford, the 73rd winner of college football's most prestigious award, was moved by the presence of 20 previous Heisman winners, by his acceptance into one of the sports world's greatest fraternities, by his new place in the universe.

Throughout the four-hour event, he stared at his trophy, spoke at length with Heisman Trust president William Dockery and, for a few minutes, was a little kid again while chatting it up with NHL legend Pat LaFontaine, who was presented the Heisman Humanitarian Award for his work with sick children.

But afterward, Bradford wanted OU fans who were upset by Sims' overtures on Saturday night — 11 times he shouted "Boomer!" after Bradford was announced this year's winner — to chill out.

Radio shows and message boards were lit up Monday with complaints that Sims' antics — the same antics he used at Jason White's announcement in 2003 — detracted from Bradford's moment, that Sims' uncontrolled shouts embarrassed himself, Bradford and the university.

No way, Bradford said.

"I didn't feel like he took anything in any way away from me," Bradford said Monday during a VIP post-party reception. "I think he made my moment even more special by sharing the traditions
of the university with me as I accepted the award. So I had absolutely no problem whatsoever with Billy yelling 'Boomer.' "

During the banquet, Sims served for the third year in a row as auctioneer of a football signed by 26 Heisman winners (the ball was sold for $25,000). But before he began, Sims spoke in hushed tones about his performance Saturday.

"I've been getting some bad press," he said. "I apologize to the Bradford family and the Heisman Trust if I crossed a boundary. But, there's no way I'd try to upstage your son's day.

"I love the university so much," he said, choking back tears. "I try to be a spokesman for them. And I will continue to be myself and let people know about the great state of Oklahoma. And I will never, ever stop saying 'Boomer Sooner,' regardless of who don't like it."

At that, a shout of "Boomer!" rose from the audience, and Sims shouted back, "Sooner!"

As Sims offered his apology, Kent Bradford — Sam's father, who was among Sims' blockers in 1978 and '79 — edged forward from his chair and smilingly waved Sims' apologies back at him.

"That complaint did not come from the Bradford family," Kent Bradford said later. "I want that made very clear. That apology wasn't needed. It's just Billy being Billy. He's proud of the University of Oklahoma, and that's the way he shows it."

"I honestly didn't think Billy did anything wrong, and he got up there tonight and apologized for it," Sam Bradford said. "I was kind of like, 'What are you doing? That's what you do.' He said (Boomer) tonight and no one yelled 'Sooner.' I was disappointed. I wanted to stand up and yell 'Sooner' for him."

Sims, standing behind a podium with an OU pennant draped from it, turned and looked Bradford in the eye.

"Sam," he said, "your dad and I were teammates, and he was a part of my Heisman Trophy-winning years. And that's why I am so happy for you and the University of Oklahoma."

Sanford Wurmfeld, the Heisman trustee who made Saturday's announcement, admired Sims' passion.

"If anyone thinks the Trust got to him, that's not the case," Wurmfeld said. "He's a fine gentleman. We're very proud to have him as a member of this fraternity."

The past Heisman winners sat on the front row of the dais, and other dignitaries — Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops, OU athletic director Joe Castiglione among them — sat on the top row. Bradford's was the seat of honor, beside the podium and just in front of a 12-foot poster of himself.

On either side of the poster were similar shots of 1958 winner Pete Dawkins of Army and 1983 winner Mike Rozier of Nebraska. They were honored on their silver and gold anniversaries.

Dawkins, a Rhodes Scholar and retired brigadier general, spoke reverently about the Heisman tradition. He spoke on the notion of team and how at the root of a team is loyalty.

"Every one (of the winners) has come here and accepted that award on behalf of their team," he said. "The notion of team has become indelibly embedded in what the Heisman stands for.

"Sam Bradford is someone I'm convinced will carry the Heisman banner and carry it triumphantly. It's my privilege to stand here on this stage and dream that dream with him."

Afterward, Bradford sat alone in a private booth, still dressed in his black tuxedo vest and jacket, a crimson cast on his left hand and a Sharpie pen in his right. He was deeply moved by Dawkins' words.

"Obviously there's been a lot of thoughts go through my mind since I won the trophy, and I've thought about it some," he said, "but listening to him speak and talk about me carrying on some of the values and traditions that come with the Heisman, his thoughts, his confidence in me to represent the name 'Heisman Trophy Winner,' I think that probably meant more to me than anything anybody else said to me."
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20081216_92_B1_NEWYOR636518&archive=yes

A-M
12/20/2008, 11:56 AM
I agree with Sam on this. I'm one of those who yiel BOOMER at a lot of people. I'm proud to be a Sooner and will always be proud of it.

delhalew
12/20/2008, 12:45 PM
Sam is a great kid. As far as Billys apology goes, now I am embarrassed on account of the people who were embarrassed by Billy. Its just sad. If anything took away from Sams night. It was high and mighty Soonerfans.