PDA

View Full Version : Dear OKC residents...

pott_2
12/20/2008, 12:10 AM
My wife and I may be getting to move back to OK, more specifically OKC. Where are the good suburbs and neighborhood to buy a house in? I have been told by many that Edmond is the place to go. What do you all think?

Turd_Ferguson
12/20/2008, 12:13 AM
My wife and I may be getting to move back to OK, more specifically OKC. Where are the good suburbs and neighborhood to buy a house in? I have been told by many that Edmond is the place to go. What do you all think?Edmond's all ganged up and ****. I'd go more toward Luther/Spencer area.

pott_2
12/20/2008, 12:41 AM
Edmond's all ganged up and ****. I'd go more toward Luther/Spencer area.

The good folks that said Edmond have not lived there in 15 years. This is the good stuff that I am looking for. Thanks.

SoonerStud615
12/20/2008, 02:21 AM
That's sarcasm, I believe/hope...

Lott's Bandana
12/20/2008, 02:43 AM
You said:

The good folks that said Edmond have not lived there in 15 years. This is the good stuff that I am looking for. Thanks.

Think about this: People have been saying Edmond now for 15 years...what do you think it has turned into?

If you're coming from the San Fernando Valley, or Richardson or Round Rock...then by all means, Edmond is your place for traffic, restaurant chains and Old Navy stores.

If you want a sense of community and all that a college town provides, located near a sizable, improving city...oh, and a great University...Norman.

I came from one of California's suburban black-holes. I stay away from Edmond as much as possible...unless I am just dying for a muffin at Mimi's Cafe.

pott_2
12/20/2008, 05:22 AM
What about Mustang? I know that it is about 20+ mile commute to downtown but there are some nice houses for sale.

pott_2
12/20/2008, 05:26 AM
You said:

Think about this: People have been saying Edmond now for 15 years...what do you think it has turned into?

If you're coming from the San Fernando Valley, or Richardson or Round Rock...then by all means, Edmond is your place for traffic, restaurant chains and Old Navy stores.

If you want a sense of community and all that a college town provides, located near a sizable, improving city...oh, and a great University...Norman.

I came from one of California's suburban black-holes. I stay away from Edmond as much as possible...unless I am just dying for a muffin at Mimi's Cafe.

Edmond is off for me then. I was born and raised in Sallisaw in Eastern OK. I am used to about 9000 city residents. The federal gov't is moving us home and OUr office will be downtown OKC. I can live with a communte since I have spent the last 4 years commuting 45 minutes through streets clogged with terrorists.

OUHOMER
12/20/2008, 07:25 AM
Mustang / Yukon..... They are what Edmond was 20 years ago. They have nice homes in every price range. great schools etc.

I am biased, I have lived in the Mustang area most of my life. I like it, i can be anywhere in the OKC metro in about 30 / 40 mins.

I remeber when it was a 1 horse town... But I love it out here.

Than again I live south of Mustang not in town.

oumartin
12/20/2008, 08:23 AM
Okarche, YWIA.

RacerX
12/20/2008, 09:18 AM
North of QSM is a pretty good location. You can either be in the Edmond school district or buy a house a couple of miles west and be in the Deer Creek school district.

Lots of access to highways, shopping, etc. Good mix of new construction and newer existing homes for sale.

Dio
12/20/2008, 09:43 AM
South Moore, North Norman and far SW OKC have a lot of good things going on, and you're halfway between OU and Downtown/Bricktown OKC.

LilSooner
12/20/2008, 09:45 AM
My plug for Blanchard. 3 country clubs, super nice houses, good schools and only 25 min from OKC and 15 from Norman. And we just got our second stop light!

pott_2
12/20/2008, 09:54 AM
My plug for Blanchard. 3 country clubs, super nice houses, good schools and only 25 min from OKC and 15 from Norman. And we just got our second stop light!

Blanchard sounds like a little slice of heaven.

LilSooner
12/20/2008, 10:03 AM
Blanchard sounds like a little slice of heaven.

Yeah it's pretty nice. They are really growing. They just put in a Mazzio's, a chinese food place, and a couple years back a new sonic with a sand volley ball court. When I graduated in 99 the town was roughly 3,000 now I believe it is closer to 10. They are getting a new high school, and although we aren't really good in football we are normally very good in baseball. There are times that I really miss living out there, but then I remember I live with in walking distance of the university then I'm ok again :)

OUHOMER
12/20/2008, 10:06 AM
Might even look at Tuttle, with the new highway you can get to Norman and OKC fairly quick, plus still have the small town feel.

Are you looking for acreage or just an in town lot?

TheLlama
12/20/2008, 10:09 AM
Moore is exploding right now. Were getting many shops and retail outlets along with a stand alone Chick-Fil-A and a Whataburger!!!!

Lott's Bandana
12/20/2008, 10:14 AM
Pott2, Blanchard and Tuttle would be great places to consider, especially given what you wrote about your small-town background. Perfect distance to OKC/Norman and still pretty country.

Peem me anytime if you need any information/assistance...retired veteran happy to help out, as many of us on this board are as well.

reevie
12/20/2008, 10:28 AM
Yeah, I tell you to look at Moore/SW OKC, Norman, Tri-Cities, Mustang, Yukon, Choctaw and Harrah.

King Crimson
12/20/2008, 10:34 AM
north norman, please. wtf is that? subdivisions. bad chinese restaurants.

i'm sorry, got to be a old school townie on this one.

but, norman over edmond any day of the week and 3 times on tuesday.

i bet your property/housing dollar is better spent in most of the smaller towns/now burbs than nompton.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/20/2008, 12:08 PM
Yeah, I tell you to look at Moore/SW OKC, Norman, Tri-Cities, Mustang, Yukon, Choctaw and Harrah.Exactly.

Lott's Bandana
12/20/2008, 12:18 PM

but, norman over edmond any day of the week and 3 times on tuesday.

i bet your property/housing dollar is better spent in most of the smaller towns/now burbs than nompton.

Werd, KC.

I forgot Noble. Easy to do. Affordable and convenient, you can get to Hwy-9 quickly and then I-35.

I know Dean loves that little town. Got some great food there and my favorite likker store.

thenotman
12/20/2008, 01:23 PM
Why not OKC? Crowne Heights, Heritage Hills, N. OKC (silverleaf etc) , SW. OKC. (Rivendale etc.) Nichols Hills, area South of Nichols Hills... Why move to a suburb?

pott_2
12/21/2008, 09:50 AM
Why not OKC? Crowne Heights, Heritage Hills, N. OKC (silverleaf etc) , SW. OKC. (Rivendale etc.) Nichols Hills, area South of Nichols Hills... Why move to a suburb?
Its more rude to take a leak of of your porch in the city limits. ;)

This is a consideration also. I just did not know the nicer areas. I know where downtown, BassPro and Zio's are.

StoopTroup
12/21/2008, 09:53 AM
Edmond's all ganged up and ****. I'd go more toward Luther/Spencer area.

Luther?

As long as you either are bribing the guy with the speed gun or used to driving 5 mph under the limit and in no need to be somewhere in a hurry...

Yeah...Luther would be a great place. :D

I took a pic of him the last time I was driving through...

http://www.liquorsnob.com/archives/pictures/Super-Troopers-thumb.jpg

Tulsa > OKC :D

Turd_Ferguson
12/21/2008, 09:57 AM
Luther?

As long as you either are bribing the guy with the speed gun or used to driving 5 mph under the limit and in no need to be somewhere in a hurry...

Yeah...Luther would be a great place. :D

I took a pic of him the last time I was driving through...

http://www.liquorsnob.com/archives/pictures/Super-Troopers-thumb.jpg

Tulsa > OKC :DThat's my cousin ya bastard. I'd advise ya not to drive through there no mo.:pop:

StoopTroup
12/21/2008, 10:01 AM
That's my cousin ya bastard. I'd advise ya not to drive through there no mo.:pop:

He didn't get me either...he got a friend of mine. :D

He's still pissed at me...thinks I should pay for 1/2 the ticket since I asked him to go that way on Game Day.

I ain't paying for his lead foot nor his lack of obeying the law. :D

Flagstaffsooner
12/21/2008, 10:40 AM
I hear the NE side is nice.
http://www.angrywhiteboy.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/windowslivewriterletmeaxeyouaquestion-b212black-gangsta2.jpg

Poli Sci
12/21/2008, 10:56 AM
Since nobody has mentioned it, I will. Midwest City-Choctaw area is turning into a great place. I grew up in MWC and now live in Norman.

M-Dub-C has a bad reputation. For people from there, we don't mind because it won't turn into Edmond. My wife who is from Edmond thought it was the ghetto before she met me. Now she wants to buy a house there.

The property in MWC is cheaper than most other suburbs and the schools are good. I am a Midwest City High School Alumni, but I would recomend East MWC, in Carl Albert School district. Reno Ave runs right through MWC and straight to downtown, easy access to the highways which get you to downtown as well. Not to mention that it is right by Tinker AFB.

You can all say what you want to about MWC, which I am sure most of you will. That is perfectly OK. People who have very little knowledge of MWC continue to bash it and that keeps the masses from flooding it like they have with Edmond, Moore, Norman, and now Mustang.

Cam
12/21/2008, 12:53 PM
What about Mustang? I know that it is about 20+ mile commute to downtown but there are some nice houses for sale.

We have an OKC address, but live in Mustang school district and love it.

The same floor plan from the same builder in Edmond was $60 more than what we bought. Mustang is growing rapidly. At some point soon, they're going to have to add another HS. It won't happen until they decide to put education over athletics though.

thenotman
12/21/2008, 08:05 PM
Since nobody has mentioned it, I will. Midwest City-Choctaw area is turning into a great place. I grew up in MWC and now live in Norman.

M-Dub-C has a bad reputation. For people from there, we don't mind because it won't turn into Edmond. My wife who is from Edmond thought it was the ghetto before she met me. Now she wants to buy a house there.

The property in MWC is cheaper than most other suburbs and the schools are good. I am a Midwest City High School Alumni, but I would recomend East MWC, in Carl Albert School district. Reno Ave runs right through MWC and straight to downtown, easy access to the highways which get you to downtown as well. Not to mention that it is right by Tinker AFB.

You can all say what you want to about MWC, which I am sure most of you will. That is perfectly OK. People who have very little knowledge of MWC continue to bash it and that keeps the masses from flooding it like they have with Edmond, Moore, Norman, and now Mustang.

Grew up there... Not a bad place to live. Just prefer OKC proper.

BudSooner
12/21/2008, 08:30 PM
Midwest City/Choctaw is pretty good, good homes and schools and the people pretty much keep to themselves.

If and when we move back there, that's where we are planning on moving to.

Norman Sooner
12/22/2008, 12:29 AM
Yeah it's pretty nice. They are really growing. They just put in a Mazzio's, a chinese food place, and a couple years back a new sonic with a sand volley ball court. When I graduated in 99 the town was roughly 3,000 now I believe it is closer to 10. They are getting a new high school, and although we aren't really good in football we are normally very good in baseball. There are times that I really miss living out there, but then I remember I live with in walking distance of the university then I'm ok again :)

Where the heck is Mazzios at? And yes 2 stoplights, woohoo..Now if we could get someone to come into Blanchard and compete with ACE so they would lower their prices back down..

Harry Beanbag
12/22/2008, 07:10 AM
What the hell happened to Edmond? That used to be the best place to raise kids and had the best public school system in the state.

LilSooner
12/22/2008, 07:40 AM
Where the heck is Mazzios at? And yes 2 stoplights, woohoo..Now if we could get someone to come into Blanchard and compete with ACE so they would lower their prices back down..

It's in the new shopping mall. At least that is what my grandma told me. I haven't been down town in a few months.

olevetonahill
12/22/2008, 07:42 AM
What the hell happened to Edmond? That used to be the best place to raise kids and had the best public school system in the state.

You Moved away . :mad: :D

frankensooner
12/22/2008, 10:21 AM
You Edmond haters suck rotten eggs, just sayin.

Poli Sci
12/22/2008, 11:04 AM
I hate Edmond because you can't watch a local newcast without Glenda Chu coming on telling us about some dog that took a dump in a few yards and the city is in an uproar.

Its not the city itself, but the smugness that radiates from the people up there.

OUMallen
12/22/2008, 11:12 AM
North Norman. West Moore. Or just do what you SHOULD do and live downtown/Mesta Park/Heritage Hills/Crown Heights/the Village depending on what you want to spend. I work downtown and live at about 50th and Western and love it. You don't HAVE to live in the 'burbs. Edmond shouldn't enter your mind. The PC North area has nice schools and decent home choices, too.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/22/2008, 11:21 AM
I lived in Edmond several years ago when I was in college and it was a nice community. My main problem with Edmond today is the overcongestion. It takes 20 minutes to go two miles.

Viking Kitten
12/22/2008, 11:29 AM
You Edmond haters suck rotten eggs, just sayin.

Shhhh. Let 'em hate. I'd rather Edmond not get any bigger because the traffic is bad enough as it is. We'll just keep the fact that we have great schools and it's an awesome place to raise a family all to ourselves.

No really. Move to Spencer. I'm sure it's lovely.

Turd_Ferguson
12/22/2008, 11:43 AM
Newcastle/Blanchard area is coming along nicely. Lot's of nice new additions from the 130's and up. Newcastle's newest resident is the OU Prez.:P

Partial Qualifier
12/22/2008, 11:46 AM

Edmond's not really that bad, it's just supremely overcrowded and crime has gone up a certain degree. Real estate has absolutely blown up over the past 10 years, especially in north & west Edmond. Streets which were 2-lane with stop signs 10 years ago are now 4-lane parkways with busy intersections.

An Edmond resident I know says the whole Section 8 proliferation in the 1990's affected the crime and the public schools, to a certain degree. But you could probably also chalk both up to the sheer population increase. I lean towards thinking the schools are still really good and not really 'affected' by anything. I know lots of really good kids in Edmond public schools right now..

So yeah, huge variety of fairly new (or brand-new) real estate in Edmond. The core part of Edmond hasn't changed much -- except the traffic.

Poli Sci
12/22/2008, 12:08 PM
An Edmond resident I know says the whole Section 8 proliferation in the 1990's affected the crime and the public schools, to a certain degree.

Of course it would be the poor people's fault. Edmondites are perfect.

That's a commentary on the Edmond resident, not you P Q.

Partial Qualifier
12/22/2008, 12:24 PM

Yeah. Great schools (public & private), peace & quiet, zero crime, nice neighborhoods, no traffic....
Easy access to lots of dining & shopping, and I-35...

it's really crappy. :rolleyes:

TMcGee86
12/22/2008, 02:46 PM
I hear Tulsa's nice. Roughly an hour commute, but you make up for it with the hills and trees and what not. ;)

bent rider
12/22/2008, 02:53 PM
Moore is exploding right now. Were getting many shops and retail outlets along with a stand alone Chick-Fil-A and a Whataburger!!!!

They is arrived!!

Harry Beanbag
12/22/2008, 05:29 PM
Edmond's not really that bad, it's just supremely overcrowded and crime has gone up a certain degree. Real estate has absolutely blown up over the past 10 years, especially in north & west Edmond. Streets which were 2-lane with stop signs 10 years ago are now 4-lane parkways with busy intersections.

An Edmond resident I know says the whole Section 8 proliferation in the 1990's affected the crime and the public schools, to a certain degree. But you could probably also chalk both up to the sheer population increase. I lean towards thinking the schools are still really good and not really 'affected' by anything. I know lots of really good kids in Edmond public schools right now..

So yeah, huge variety of fairly new (or brand-new) real estate in Edmond. The core part of Edmond hasn't changed much -- except the traffic.

Yeah, I figured the real estate was ridiculous, it was always higher than the rest of the metro area anyway. What's the population now days? More traffic would also make sense.

I grew up there in the '80's and graduated in '90 when there was only one high school. The school system then was outstanding. A buddy from high school teachs at Memorial now and he has said that it isn't like it used to be, but it's still not anything like Midwest City or Del City. ;)

Harry Beanbag
12/22/2008, 05:30 PM
Of course it would be the poor people's fault. Edmondites are perfect.

That's a commentary on the Edmond resident, not you P Q.

Yeah, because there is absolutely no correlation between per capita income and crime rates. :rolleyes:

Poli Sci
12/22/2008, 11:53 PM
Yeah, because there is absolutely no correlation between per capita income and crime rates. :rolleyes:

And for that reason they shouldn't be allowed to move to prosperous areas?

Everybody is all for helping the poor just as long as they don't move next door to them.

pott_2
12/23/2008, 01:32 AM
The response is overwhelming. Thank you all. I even see a bit of an argument. I think I would prefer the Blanchard area but my wife does not want the commute. I don't know what it is like so I am going to come spend a couple of days driving around when I come home next month for vacation.

pott_2
12/23/2008, 01:34 AM
Current crime rates are also a good thing to know. I have this thing where I don't like to get stabbed.

Turd_Ferguson
12/23/2008, 01:45 AM
The response is overwhelming. Thank you all. I even see a bit of an argument. I think I would prefer the Blanchard area but my wife does not want the commute. I don't know what it is like so I am going to come spend a couple of days driving around when I come home next month for vacation.If you drive around Blanchard, Newcastle, Tuttle area, obey the speed limit. YWIA.

Harry Beanbag
12/23/2008, 06:55 AM
And for that reason they shouldn't be allowed to move to prosperous areas?

Everybody is all for helping the poor just as long as they don't move next door to them.

I don't think anybody said anything of the sort in this thread. Put the straw man away and save it for another day.

Cam
12/23/2008, 12:33 PM
If you drive around Blanchard, Newcastle, Tuttle area, obey the speed limit. YWIA.

Very good advice.

Poli Sci
12/23/2008, 12:50 PM
I don't think anybody said anything of the sort in this thread. Put the straw man away and save it for another day.

Um...I believe they were. To paraphrase what was said. Edmond was a bad place because of the section 8 housing that has been opened up there. Then you said that there is a correlation between crime and poor people. Don't be upset because I called you out on it. Just admit you are a wannabe elitist, like most in Edmond (even though you don't live there), and we can call it a day. Don't try to back peddle now.

Cam
12/23/2008, 12:55 PM
The response is overwhelming. Thank you all. I even see a bit of an argument. I think I would prefer the Blanchard area but my wife does not want the commute. I don't know what it is like so I am going to come spend a couple of days driving around when I come home next month for vacation.

Does your wife have an estimated drive time she's looking for? If you can't get where you want to be in this city in 30-40 minutes max, you're not taking the correct route.

Viking Kitten
12/23/2008, 12:59 PM
Just to make it perfectly clear, the people who post here who actually live in Edmond think it's a perfectly fine place to live except for the traffic. I have thus far managed to avoid being stabbed by any Section 8 dwellers. In fact, because I have children in public school, I tend to think Edmond is pretty darn good place to raise them.

I like Norman a lot too, however, I work 10 minutes from Edmond and 45 minutes from Norman so you do the math.

If I did not have children in school and worked downtown, I would most likely be looking at Crown Heights, or any of the other beautiful historical areas near downtown. If you're worried about getting stabbed, you're being paranoid.

frankensooner
12/23/2008, 01:01 PM
Edmond Schools are quite good. I've only been stabbed a couple of times. The only drawback to Edmond is that most of the good eating places are in OKC. ;) There is a fantastic Crest Foods in Edmond though!

Viking Kitten
12/23/2008, 01:08 PM
Yep. Thanks to Crest, I can pretty much avoid Wal Mart altogether. Edmond has good restaurant eats too, though. Kangs is yummy for Asian, and Cafe 501 just rocks my world. Again, the trick is to avoid getting stabbed by the waitstaff.

frankensooner
12/23/2008, 01:10 PM
Don't forget the stand alone Chick fil A. I loves going through the drive-thru for chicken n a biscuit in the a.m. ;)

LilSooner
12/23/2008, 01:13 PM
Oh why did you have to mention Cafe 501. Damn you VK! I need to go up there and eat.

frankensooner
12/23/2008, 01:14 PM
I've heard that Planet Subs are supposed to be good. We haz that too.

frankensooner
12/23/2008, 01:15 PM
And the eastside of town looks kind of like Tulsa, lots of hill and trees!!!

Viking Kitten
12/23/2008, 01:16 PM
Don't forget the stand alone Chick fil A. I loves going through the drive-thru for chicken n a biscuit in the a.m. ;)

You know, I'm not trying to whore around on Braum's or anything, but have you tried Chick Fil A's peppermint chocolate chip shake? It's yumtastic.

And yeah Lil, I've got family in town, so I see a visit to Cafe 501 in my near future.

OUDoc
12/23/2008, 01:42 PM
What with all the stabbings, how's Edmond's hospital rated? ;)

Fraggle145
12/23/2008, 02:07 PM
Don't Edmond my Norman!

M
12/23/2008, 02:52 PM
Yep. Thanks to Crest, I can pretty much avoid Wal Mart altogether. Edmond has good restaurant eats too, though. Kangs is yummy for Asian, and Cafe 501 just rocks my world. Again, the trick is to avoid getting stabbed by the waitstaff.

The waitstaff at Kangs will only stab you if you sing bad karaoke.

BigRedJed
12/23/2008, 03:04 PM
Why do discussions about cities always turn into discussions about food?

Harry Beanbag
12/23/2008, 05:39 PM
Um...I believe they were. To paraphrase what was said. Edmond was a bad place because of the section 8 housing that has been opened up there. Then you said that there is a correlation between crime and poor people. Don't be upset because I called you out on it. Just admit you are a wannabe elitist, like most in Edmond (even though you don't live there), and we can call it a day. Don't try to back peddle now.

Wow, Poli Sci is a revisionist historian on the side. No, what was said was some dude had an opinion that maybe an increase in crime rate for Edmond went along with the section 8 housing, PQ added his guess that maybe it was just due to a general increase in population. I don't even know if there has been a rise in the crime rate. Has there been one? I haven't lived there for nearly 20 years. Regardless, nobody said Edmond was a bad place because of it.

Then you threw in your snarky anti-Edmond comment about why do the snobby Edmondites have to blame poor people, ignoring that those same people were Edmondites themselves.

Then I stated a simple response alluding to the fact that crime rates are normally inversely proportional to the income level of a community.

Then you continued your ad hominem pillow fight by spouting some drivel about poor people not being allowed to live in prosperous areas. Wtf that came from I still don't know, it was never stated or implied by anyone. Except you of course.

Me upset because you called me on it? Called me on what? You're arguing with yourself, leave me out of it. Maybe you're just jealous you don't live in Edmond so you can be a real elitist, instead of just a pretend one on the internet. No wonder you're all red. :rolleyes:

Viking Kitten
12/23/2008, 05:46 PM
You know what would be cool? If I could stab people for real, instead of pretend stabbing them on the Internet.

Harry Beanbag
12/23/2008, 05:47 PM
I agree. Is there still a Whataburger on Broadway?

TMcGee86
12/23/2008, 05:50 PM
You OKC'er and your talk of commutes and traffic make me laugh.

You want traffic? Try driving in from Cypress to Houston on 290 at 8am.

My record commute so far is 2.5 hours. But to be fair, the HOV lane was closed due to storm damage.

Nothing like leaving the office at 6:30 and getting home at 9:00. :rolleyes:

Viking Kitten
12/23/2008, 05:57 PM
I agree. Is there still a Whataburger on Broadway?

Aw hell to the yeah there is. I've been through that drive-thru at many a 2 a.m.

BigRedJed
12/23/2008, 06:04 PM
I was once "banned for life" from that Whataburger. Good times...

BigRedJed
12/23/2008, 06:24 PM
I didn't even know they HAD moderators at Whataburger. C'mon, ppl. That was a softball.

Kels
12/23/2008, 06:26 PM
Don't Edmond my Norman!

Well said. Those bumper stickers I see around town always get a chuckle out of me. Has Dean declared an 'all's clear' at the Post Office up in Edmond? Man, I remember that. Talk about scary.

Norman rulz!

Cam
12/23/2008, 08:17 PM
You OKC'er and your talk of commutes and traffic make me laugh.

You want traffic? Try driving in from Cypress to Houston on 290 at 8am.

My record commute so far is 2.5 hours. But to be fair, the HOV lane was closed due to storm damage.

Nothing like leaving the office at 6:30 and getting home at 9:00. :rolleyes:

I'll raise you living in Apache Junction and working in NW Glendale. Or, living in Marietta and working downtown Atlanta. Or getting to the Atlanta airport from Marietta. Basically, getting anywhere in Atlanta.

OKC traffic is nuthin, which is why I'll never understand anybody complaining about their commute here.

OUHOMER
12/23/2008, 09:08 PM
I'll raise you living in Apache Junction and working in NW Glendale. Or, living in Marietta and working downtown Atlanta. Or getting to the Atlanta airport from Marietta. Basically, getting anywhere in Atlanta.

OKC traffic is nuthin, which is why I'll never understand anybody complaining about their commute here.

Its all in what you are used too. I got behind 2 damn cars and hit 2 stop lights on the way to work. Cost me about 3 minutes:mad:

Harry Beanbag
12/23/2008, 09:11 PM
I'll raise you living in Apache Junction and working in NW Glendale.

Wuss. That's only about 70 miles. :)

A Sooner in Texas
12/23/2008, 09:20 PM
I've done that downtown OKC to Edmond via the Broadway Extension, and I've done Conroe to the Galleria area in Houston via I-45 to Loop 610 - which, at its junction with the SW Freeway, has been ranked one of the 10 worst areas for traffic jams in the U.S. It's pretty horrible. THAT's real traffic.
So now I'm happy to have my 10-minute drive to work in downtown Conroe. :)

OUDoc
12/23/2008, 10:32 PM
I was once "banned for life" from that Whataburger. Good times...

I had my "ketchup privileges" revoked at Burger King for painting the tray with it.

I brought Wendy's into McDonald's once and I was told it was "a slap in the face to McDonald's" and I had to leave. My friends were eating there at the time.

Cam
12/23/2008, 10:42 PM
Wuss. That's only about 70 miles. :)

Tell me about it. I had two other office in town as well. Wasn't unusual for me to put 2-250 miles a day on my car and never leave the Phoenix area. Going thru 2-3 tanks of gas a week in a Civic was just insane.

Since then, we've made it a point to live close to the office. That's part of why we chose Mustang, we knew where the office was going to be built before hand. :D

pott_2
12/24/2008, 03:53 AM
A commute of no more than 20 minutes would be great. I know that my wife's office will be downtown with the federal agencies. It sounds like this commute is possible from just about anywhere in OKC.

Taxman71
12/24/2008, 10:04 AM
20 minutes to downtown is easily done unless you are east of Choctaw, south of Norman, west of Yukon/Mustang or North of Edmond. Of course, I am partial to north Norman myself, but the property values/taxes is ridiculous here compared to all the OKC burbs.

Viking Kitten
12/24/2008, 11:15 AM
What, are you teleporting? How in the hell do you get from downtown to north Norman in 20 minutes during rush hour? Southbound I-35 at 5 p.m. is nothing but a huge clusterf**k.

Taxman71
12/24/2008, 03:13 PM
What, are you teleporting? How in the hell do you get from downtown to north Norman in 20 minutes during rush hour? Southbound I-35 at 5 p.m. is nothing but a huge clusterf**k.

Well, I rarely leave work during rush hour...usually well after 6. However, when I do leave during rush hour, I take the backroads (Shields, Robinson, etc.). They are surprisingly fast. It does take longer than that if traffic is backed up from 12th Street or further south. By and large, it is pretty easy going 90% of the time.

shaun4411
12/24/2008, 03:56 PM
Edmond is really a great choice. Or the Deer Creek area (just west of edmond in pretty much far far north okc). you can get a beautiful home, at great value, AND have a yard. unlike in many new neighborhoods in edmond where you can get a beautiful home, a great price, and a great subdivision, but your yard is the size of a chevy tahoe. i like the thought of deer creek because like mustang, blanchard and other areas, its somewhat off the beaten path, you can get plenty of room between your neighbors, you can be away from all dem dang ole city lights, but youre still close enough to be in all the action.

the moore area really is exploding though. they have a lot going on for them, and its right on i35. i think the edmond area is a bit nicer though. they have some serious development going on there as well.

so in the end, it depends on exactly what youre looking for. what is the MOST important.. neighborhoods, home value, schools, proximity to things, privacy.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/24/2008, 06:05 PM
I've lived in South OKC/Moore my whole life with the exception of the 18 months I lived in Shawnee and the 3.5 years I lived in Edmond. It is a really nice area with good schools and we are finally getting some entertainment in the form of a really nice movie theater, good shopping, and tasty restaurants.

That being said, I am ready for there to be middle income residential areas in downtown/midtown OKC. I understand with the City's core-to-shore plan that will be the case. I am not willing to buy a studio apt for $300k.

Collier11
5/11/2009, 12:35 AM
Edmond is way overpriced FWIW, unless you are one of those people who have three mortgages just to fit in, then its right where you would want to be. Edmond is also boring

XingTheRubicon
5/11/2009, 09:13 AM
Edmond is not overpriced. Everything is just better here and that tends to cost more.;)

Collier11
5/11/2009, 09:14 AM
DONT EDMOND OUR NORMAN!!! ;)

OUAlumni1990
5/11/2009, 09:43 AM
My parents have some land out in the Choctaw/Newalla area. They love it. The land is cheap, and they have direct access to I-40/I-240. Taxes are cheap. You can't really beat it. If I ever move back, thats probably where I'll go...

theresonly1OU
5/11/2009, 12:06 PM
FWIW,

I grew up in Edmond before I went off to college. When I got married and decided to move back, I looked at a TON of houses in Edmond, seeing as how I was from there and knew of all the pluses mentioned here already. But one thing kept getting to me:

The housing prices.

I mean seriously; there were houses going for 30-40 grand more there just because they have an Edmond address.

So, after looking aroud, we bought a house in the Southmoore school district; the area out there is still underdeveloped, so you can buy a little space if you're so inclined, the schools are good, and my communte to the state capitol is only 15-25 minutes (depending on traffic).

Anyway, that's my $.02.

P.S.:You should also look at Newcastle if you are in to a smaller town feel that is still close to the metro.

Taxman71
5/13/2009, 08:55 AM
I would definitely move to north Norman if commuting to downtown OKC or further north.....great schools, endless things to do and easy gameday travel.

If fact, I know a great house that just came for sale off of Porter Ave. in the perfect neighborhood for kids :D