http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=79643&catid=187

Flagstaffsooner
12/19/2008, 10:40 PM
Locks up when I go to that link.

olevetonahill
12/19/2008, 10:43 PM
Locks up when I go to that link.

Give it time to open .
The Military has discharged Our Guys for Having PTSD. then denied em any Help thru the VA. Bastages :mad:

Okla-homey
12/20/2008, 05:39 AM
Give it time to open .
The Military has discharged Our Guys for Having PTSD. then denied em any Help thru the VA. Bastages :mad:

OV,

I read it. I don't think there are enough facts here.

Now, the reporter could have gotten it wrong, but it doesn't say Perez was involuntarily separated on medical grounds because he was ineligible for re-enlistment. It simply says he was discharged, which could have been at the end of his enlistment and because he wanted out. Another alternative might be he was denied the opportunity for re-enlistment on other grounds.

IMHO, I agree with you that if he was involuntarily separated for medical reasons as a result of service connected injuries/conditions, he deserves medical retirement benefits and pay.

However, if he decided to return to civilian life short of twentry years, and otherwise was eligible to re-enlist, he doesn't rate a medical retirement.

Finally, regardless of whether he deserved medical retirement, if he indeed suffers from PTSD, he should get VA benefits to the degree authorized by law -- if his DD 214 states he received at least a general discharge. If, OTOH, he was discharged under other than honorable conditions, he doesn't rate squat in my book.

SoonerStormchaser
12/20/2008, 08:46 AM
PTSD iz fer puzzies! Git yerself a REEL dizeeze lyke teh calp!

Okla-homey
12/20/2008, 08:53 AM
PTSD iz fer puzzies! Git yerself a REEL dizeeze lyke teh calp!

Your opinion on the subject of PTSD will be relevant after you've personally experienced life in a combat zone. In the meantime, don't you have coffee fetching responsibilities to attend to or something?

olevetonahill
12/20/2008, 01:36 PM
Your opinion on the subject of PTSD will be relevant after you've personally experienced life in a combat zone. In the meantime, don't you have coffee fetching responsibilities to attend to or something?

Well said .

Scott D
12/20/2008, 02:43 PM
I woulda just told him to get a real occupation in the real military instead of playing navigator in an awacs ;)

SicEmBaylor
12/20/2008, 02:47 PM
You guys are a bit unfairly critical of SSC. He's serving his country which is more than a lot of people do.

Scott D
12/20/2008, 02:48 PM
You guys are a bit unfairly critical of SSC. He's serving his country which is more than a lot of people do.

eh he's just another starbucks counter jockey...now pipe down peanut gallery.

Flagstaffsooner
12/20/2008, 02:56 PM
PTSD iz fer puzzies! Git yerself a REEL dizeeze lyke teh calp!http://www.lazygeek.net/images/marlon_brando1.jpg

You have been warned. OVP

SoonerStormchaser
12/20/2008, 04:29 PM
Wow...some people don't understand tongue in cheek...

If you think for one ****ing minute that I think that PTSD is a sham, then you must think that I bull****ted my way to get where I'm at in my AF career. I've been around a ****ton of guys here who have ground pounded in both theaters of the WOT...and believe me, PTSD is not only real, it's pretty damn prevalent. There's **** going on over there that you will NEVER hear a mentioning of in the media...and these guys' silence is costing them tremendous internal torment.

Flag, I hope you didn't mean what you said in that lovely comment you left me.

Sooner04
12/20/2008, 04:33 PM
As opposed to tongue in dentures.

SoonerStormchaser
12/20/2008, 04:34 PM
As opposed to tongue in dentures.

That would be my wife, dude...:D

Okla-homey
12/20/2008, 04:46 PM

If you think for one ****ing minute that I think that PTSD is a sham, then you must think that I bull****ted my way to get where I'm at in my AF career.

You said you didn't even have to take a night celestial nav checkride in nav school. IMHO, people who haven't had to take three star fixes with analog sextants at 40 minute intervals in a T-43, w/o a calculator, don't deserve those wings you're sporting. Therefore, you very well could have bullsh----d your way thus far.

SoonerStormchaser
12/20/2008, 06:28 PM
You said you didn't even have to take a night celestial nav checkride in nav school. IMHO, people who haven't had to take three star fixes with analog sextants at 40 minute intervals in a T-43, w/o a calculator, don't deserve those wings you're sporting. Therefore, you very well could have bullsh----d your way thus far.

That may very well be true...and I personally think that cel nav should've been kept...cause what the hell is gonna happen if the GPS satellites get knocked out?

At least I still know how to dead reckon...

SanJoaquinSooner
12/20/2008, 07:36 PM
Recognizing tongue-in-cheek about tongue-in-cheek is more difficult than I imagined even though I expected it to be more difficult than I imagined.

8timechamps
12/20/2008, 09:00 PM
SSoonerStormchaser,

I know you didn't mean any harm in your comments. But you gotta know it's going to rub some people the wrong way.

As for the article. I'll reserve judgment since I don't know the whole story.

I spent more than my fair share of time as a grunt. I know what it's like to see your buddies injured in combat, as well as what it's like to see them killed.

I have a very good friend from the first Gulf War that suffers to this day with severe PTSD (and he left country in 1991). Initially, he wasn't even given his 50% rating. After going through the red tape, and being a pest to the right people, his rating was changed to 50%.

As with anything in the military, things are going to be done to keep as many costs down as possible. You have to be the squeaky wheel when it's you.

SoonerStormchaser
12/20/2008, 11:54 PM
Yah, but of all people, Vet and Flag definitely know where I stand when it comes to military issues.

At this point no good can come of me commenting anymore, since it is now clear to me that one person wants to send people to kill me and another thinks that I've earned paper navigator wings because of syllabus omissions that are totally beyond my control. So I'm gonna take a few days off this particular forum and hope some sanity and common sense is restored...

olevetonahill
12/21/2008, 12:52 AM
Yah, but of all people, Vet and Flag definitely know where I stand when it comes to military issues.

At this point no good can come of me commenting anymore, since it is now clear to me that one person wants to send people to kill me and another thinks that I've earned paper navigator wings because of syllabus omissions that are totally beyond my control. So I'm gonna take a few days off this particular forum and hope some sanity and common sense is restored...

Ya still My Frag Mag ;)
I aint Nevar had a Prob with you
The Warning thing was a Spek Deal Not a death wish .

SicEmBaylor
12/21/2008, 02:29 AM
I know someone whose tongue I would like to have in my cheek.

Scott D
12/21/2008, 12:15 PM
I know someone whose tongue I would like to have in my cheek.

Michael Williams...yes we all know.

Okla-homey
12/21/2008, 02:23 PM

It'll be alright. Just remember, in terms of military issues, lieutenants do well to remember they are to be seen and not heard. Unless of course they have "seen the elephant."

As far as your "wings" go, sure, its not your fault they didn't teach you classical aerial navigation at undergraduate navigator training. But you need to be sensitive to the fact your predecessors who earned the navigator rating had to demonstrate their ability to navigate an airplane by means of ground mapping radar, visual tactical pilotage, radio-electronic aids to navigation (including LORAN, VOR/DME, TACAN), inertial aids to navigation, celestial and dead reckoning. And once they earned that rating, they had to demonstrate their ability to do so under combat conditions, in Indian Country, including employment of gravity and air-to-surface weapons, every year thereafter.

You, OTOH, fly in circles far removed from the FEBA.

SoonerStormchaser
12/21/2008, 02:31 PM
You, OTOH, fly in circles far removed from the FEBA.

That'll change in another four months.

Okla-homey
12/21/2008, 04:29 PM
That'll change in another four months.

If so, I hope you remain safe and accomplish your mission.

but, before making fun of PTSD sufferers, look at this:

http://www.standup4vets.org/MediaRoom/viewVideos.htm

8timechamps
12/21/2008, 04:38 PM
Oh, and remember the phrase "Danger close" isn't a friend to the guys on the ground.

;)

SoonerStormchaser
12/21/2008, 08:13 PM
If so, I hope you remain safe and accomplish your mission.

but, before making fun of PTSD sufferers, look at this:

http://www.standup4vets.org/MediaRoom/viewVideos.htm

Dude...I wasn't making fun of them...I was making fun of the people who think it's not a real deal.

AggieTool
12/21/2008, 09:09 PM
Dude...I wasn't making fun of them...I was making fun of the people who think it's not a real deal.

Feet in mouth rawks!:D

olevetonahill
12/21/2008, 10:04 PM

Bro for what its worth From Me , I didnt take Offense

Flagstaffsooner
12/21/2008, 10:10 PM
Aggie ya pissed the OV off.

olevetonahill
12/21/2008, 10:10 PM
Feet in mouth rawks!:D

You Should Know :P Thats why yer Red .;)