PDA

View Full Version : I love Wasilla!

Frozen Sooner
12/19/2008, 07:01 PM
http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/crime/story/628010.html

Levi Johnston's mother hit with drug charges
Arrested: her son was in the spotlight as father of Bristol Palin's baby.

By ZAZ HOLLANDER
[email protected]

Published: December 19th, 2008 12:38 AM
Last Modified: December 19th, 2008 01:10 PM

WASILLA -- A 42-year-old Wasilla woman was arrested Thursday at her home by Alaska State Troopers with a search warrant in an undercover drug investigation. Sherry L. Johnston was charged with six felony counts of misconduct involving a controlled substance.

Johnston is the mother of Levi Johnston, the Wasilla 18-year-old who received international attention in September when Gov. Sarah Palin and her husband, Todd, announced their teenage daughter was pregnant and he was the father. Bristol Palin, 18, is due on Saturday, according to a recent interview with the governor's father, Chuck Heath.

Troopers served the warrant at Johnston's home at the "conclusion of an undercover narcotics investigation," said a statement issued Thursday by the troopers as part of the normal daily summary of activity around the state.

Troopers charged Johnston with second-degree misconduct involving a controlled substance -- generally manufacturing or delivering drugs -- as well as fourth-degree misconduct involving controlled substances, or possession.

Troopers released no other information, including the kind or amount of drugs, because details could jeopardize an ongoing investigation, spokeswoman Megan Peters said.

Asked how long the investigation had proceeded before Johnston's arrest, Peters would only say "a while."

The Palmer District Attorney's office had no comment.

Sherry Johnston was arrested around noon and booked at Mat-Su Pretrial Facility, according to a booking officer there. She was released on a $5,000 unsecured bond just after 2 p.m.

No charging documents had been filed at Palmer courthouse by the end of the day, a clerk said.

Levi Johnston sat with Bristol and the rest of the Palin family in St. Paul, Minn., during Gov. Palin's speech to the Republican National Convention, and he joined the family on the stage afterwards.

When asked about the arrest, Palin's spokesman, Bill McAllister, issued the following statement by e-mail: "This is not a state government matter. Therefore the governor's communications staff will not be providing comment or scheduling interview opportunities."

Johnston didn't come to the door of her home on Caribou Loop Road outside Wasilla on Thursday afternoon. A teenage boy who answered the door said he couldn't provide any information.

SoonerStormchaser
12/19/2008, 07:14 PM
Saw this on FNC.

That town is turning into the Effin Hillbilly town of Alaska!

Frozen Sooner
12/19/2008, 07:20 PM
"Turning"?

I'm so happy that the last election allows people the opportunity to get to know the Valley like we do.

StoopTroup
12/19/2008, 07:24 PM
So....since she gave a few xanax to one of her friends who got popped for meth and now is turning on everyone they can to get a light sentence...Bristols MIL is Bonnie Parker?

Sounds like someone is just a little stupid to me. I just wonder if it's the police or Bristol's MIL.

Frozen Sooner
12/19/2008, 07:30 PM
So....since she gave a few xanax to one of her friends who got popped for meth and now is turning on everyone they can to get a light sentence...Bristols MIL is Bonnie Parker?

Where are you getting the information that this is all she did or is charged with? Not saying it's true or not, just hadn't heard that version of events from anyone.

StoopTroup
12/19/2008, 07:34 PM
Where are you getting the information that this is all she did or is charged with? Not saying it's true or not, just hadn't heard that version of events from anyone.

I guess that question goes both ways.

Innocent until proven guilty IMO.

StoopTroup
12/19/2008, 07:36 PM
After that Troopergate deal...I'm just not sold on the truth of anything that goes on up there anymore.

Frozen Sooner
12/19/2008, 07:38 PM
I guess that question goes both ways.

Innocent until proven guilty IMO.

What question?

I posted a news story with link that she has been charged with six drug-related felonies. This is not in dispute, as it's a fact.

You've presented a version of events as fact with nothing presented to back it up. I'm curious under what basis you've decided that's what's going on. It's certainly possible and I don't rule it out.

Frozen Sooner
12/19/2008, 07:39 PM
After that Troopergate deal...I'm just not sold on the truth of anything that goes on up there anymore.

What was untruthful about "Troopergate?"

StoopTroup
12/19/2008, 07:45 PM
So a statement like 2nd degree and 4th degree along with Generally it means she was putting the squeeze on a baby seal who was selling 8-ballz....is news worthy?

It's only news worthy because of who she is.

Trying her in the news should really help things.

I just think she should be tried in court and the evidence should be shown. If she's got priors then hammer her. If it a first offense...offer her some rehab and put her on probation. Why waste a bunch of money unless she's bringing in a plane full of heroin or coke for all the kids in Wasilla?

It's kind of sad to see it get attention unless she's been supplying Wasilla with meth. Then she should be put away. It just looks suspicious that they were investigating her and all they could come up with is some 2nd and 4th degree charges. For all I know they busted her for selling tic-tacs.

Frozen Sooner
12/19/2008, 07:51 PM
So a statement like 2nd degree and 4th degree along with Generally it means she was putting the squeeze on a baby seal who was selling 8-ballz....is news worthy?

These are felony counts. That's kind of a big deal.

It's only news worthy because of who she is.

I'd agree with that.

Trying her in the news should really help things.

I don't believe the article drew any conclusions as to guilt or innocence.

I just think she should be tried in court and the evidence should be shown. If she's got priors then hammer her. If it a first offense...offer her some rehab and put her on probation. Why waste a bunch of money unless she's bringing in a plane full of heroin or coke for all the kids in Wasilla?

It's kind of sad to see it get attention unless she's been supplying Wasilla with meth. Then she should be put away. It just looks suspicious that they were investigating her and all they could come up with is some 2nd and 4th degree charges. For all I know they busted her for selling tic-tacs.

"All they could come up with" were six felony charges.

Agreed that if she's supplying meth then she should be put away. I don't particularly care one way or the other about marijuana.

Basically it appears that she's being charged with dealing something. I don't think rehab is the issue.

StoopTroup
12/19/2008, 08:01 PM
What was untruthful about "Troopergate?"

Froze...when I heard this stuff about Troopergate and that the Gov. had abused her power...I didn't believe a word of it. I figure that folks got extra-sensitive and that personal agendas probably got in the way of uncovering the "Truth" or that there was nothing much there at all. For me it was just another Non-news worthy event that became worthy because Gov. Palin was thrust into the limelight of the McCain Campaign.

This is the 2nd time in the last few weeks where you seem to have a problem with my views on events such as these. I just think most of it isn't worth wetting my pants over. At the end of the day...those folks in Wasilla still have a Church to rebuild. Another story about Meth or Drug Abuse isn't going to help clean up Wasilla. The Police finding the Labs might though. Someone who's hooked and selling to help their habit...it's just not a news worthy event IMO. Find the folks who are supplying the Red Phosphorus or the Epinephrine and the stuff to manufacture that crap....then you have a story. Bringing up **** on folks who unfortunately got involved in the fallout of the source hasn't cleaned up the streets of America since Nancy Reagan declared a War on Drugs.

StoopTroup
12/19/2008, 08:03 PM
How many felonies get reduced to misdemeanors in this Country after they are filed?

I could care less if they charged her with the murder of Jimmy Hoffa. The thing is...she still gets a day in court.

StoopTroup
12/19/2008, 08:09 PM
Does 6 felonies mean they are 6 different felonies or are they 6 felonies because one is no Tax Stamp....the other is possession...another is trafficking and there are six because one is for xanax and it gets 3 felonies and the other is pot so it gets 3 felonies.

Charges in these things get stacked on top of each other so they can hammered them in court. The thing is...she's probably guilty of something or they wouldn't have charged her is my guess. Did any of the other folks they charged in their Daily investigations get a news article? I'd bet not. It's just because of who she is. The real thing is....she's a nobody. Hopefully they'll get some information from all of the nobody's up there and find out who's putting that crap on the street.

Frozen Sooner
12/19/2008, 08:13 PM
ST, I think you'll find that before Palin was nominated I told Homey I thought she was a bad choice because she had an ethics question with the firing of Walt Monegan. It was in the news well before she was nominated. And for the record, the independent investigator hired by the legislature did, indeed, find that the Governor exerted improper pressure on Monegan to fire Trooper Wooten (who everyone agrees is a slug) but was within her rights to dismiss Monegan for whatever reason she wanted.

I don't have any particular problem with your views here. I was just curious how you arrived at your conclusion that all she did was supply some Xanax to a meth dealer. I didn't catch an implied maybe in what you said. I've taken great care to say that I don't know if that's what happened or not.

If you're referring to chatting about Sean Hannity bloviating on some mythical Obama connection to Blag..Blaj...Dark Helmet's Seat for Cash scam, I certainly hope you didn't take away from that that I had a problem with anything you posted. My apologies if you did.

85Sooner
12/19/2008, 08:37 PM
She should hire you froze. How much for a retainer?

KingBarry
12/19/2008, 08:41 PM
ST, I think you'll find that before Palin was nominated I told Homey I thought she was a bad choice because she had an ethics question with the firing of Walt Monegan. It was in the news well before she was nominated. And for the record, the independent investigator hired by the legislature did, indeed, find that the Governor exerted improper pressure on Monegan to fire Trooper Wooten (who everyone agrees is a slug) but was within her rights to dismiss Monegan for whatever reason she wanted.

As much as I'd like to stay out of this intramural slap fight, I unfortunately have a question for frozen.

You seem to have some local Alaskan knowledge of things that those of us reliant on the Washington Post are missing, so I'd like to take advantage of that expertise.

In the quote above, you basically state that it was wrong for Gov Palin to "pressure" Monegan to fire Wooten, but it was OK for her to fire Monegan for not firing Wooten.

Is this the correct interpretation? And, if so, are you saying that Palin could pick up the phone, dial Monegan's number, and say "Monegan, you're fired. Clean out your desk. No questions," and that it would be perfectly ethical?

And are you also saying that if Palin made the same phone call, but said "Monegan, fire Wooten, or you are out of a job, you choose," and that is unethical?

If so, I can only say, "WTF?" I've been around DC long-enough that it's almost impossible to really surprise me, but this one does.

Frozen Sooner
12/19/2008, 09:03 PM
The ethics complaint comes up because she used her office for personal gain-to wit, retaliation against a state employee who was engaged in a custody battle with her sister. Simply directing him to fire Wooten (who, by the way, had already gone through the disciplinary procedure with the Troopers before Monegan was hired and COULDN'T be further punished for the Palin's complaints) was the ethics breach.

The firing of Walt Monegan was really immaterial to the complaint. Monegan served as an at-will employee. Monegan himself will tell you that-and in fact has said it to my face.

And to parse my words a bit more carefully-I don't think that the independent investigation found that Palin herself exerted unethical pressure to fire Wooten, rather that members of her family and staff did so under her direction.

Frozen Sooner
12/19/2008, 09:09 PM
She should hire you froze. How much for a retainer?

1 bag of doritos and a flat root beer.

Don't worry, I'll keep it in my IOLTA until it's earned. ;)

Frozen Sooner
12/19/2008, 09:13 PM
One thought just popped into my head:

It's possible that the Troopers are working a retaliation angle against the Governor and her family angle. Walt was a pretty popular guy.

Okla-homey
12/20/2008, 05:16 AM
How many felonies get reduced to misdemeanors in this Country after they are filed?

I could care less if they charged her with the murder of Jimmy Hoffa. The thing is...she still gets a day in court.

dang skippy!

Okla-homey
12/20/2008, 05:20 AM
It is sad, and at the same time, perhaps simply an element of modern American politics, that the GOP's best hope to regain the WH in 2012 must endure such scrutiny for the next four years. Is it also, perhaps, evidence the donks greatly fear a 2012 GOP ticket with her name at the top?

AlbqSooner
12/20/2008, 07:49 AM
"Troopers released no other information, including the kind or amount of drugs, because details could jeopardize an ongoing investigation, spokeswoman Megan Peters said."

Oh yeah, if she is involved in the drug scene in Greater Wasilla they can preserve an investigation by not tipping others off to the kind and amount of drugs.

I am a druggie in Wasilla and I hear that she has been busted. I could not be expected to know what kind and amount of drugs she would be expected to have at any given time. I gotta believe the coconut telegraph in Wasilla has already released this information to anyone who might be tangentially implicated.

The ability of a group of Law Enforcement officers who are p####d off to engage in retribution should NOT be underestimated.

Frozen Sooner
12/20/2008, 12:36 PM
"Troopers released no other information, including the kind or amount of drugs, because details could jeopardize an ongoing investigation, spokeswoman Megan Peters said."

Oh yeah, if she is involved in the drug scene in Greater Wasilla they can preserve an investigation by not tipping others off to the kind and amount of drugs.

I am a druggie in Wasilla and I hear that she has been busted. I could not be expected to know what kind and amount of drugs she would be expected to have at any given time. I gotta believe the coconut telegraph in Wasilla has already released this information to anyone who might be tangentially implicated.

The ability of a group of Law Enforcement officers who are p####d off to engage in retribution should NOT be underestimated.

Heh. Good point.

According to the local news, the Troopers have revealed that the drug involved is oxycontin.

King Crimson
12/20/2008, 12:38 PM
where's Agent Cooper when you need him?

Frozen Sooner
12/20/2008, 12:41 PM
It is sad, and at the same time, perhaps simply an element of modern American politics, that the GOP's best hope to regain the WH in 2012 must endure such scrutiny for the next four years. Is it also, perhaps, evidence the donks greatly fear a 2012 GOP ticket with her name at the top?

The GOP's best hope of recapturing the White House in 2012 is Barack Obama ****ing up in some sort of major way.

If Sarah Palin (I assume that's who you're talking about) is the GOP's best hope, well, good luck with that. The history of the nominating process for a defeated VP candidate in the next cycle is pretty discouraging for Palin fans and she has amazingly high negatives in polling. My personal opinion, which I know I've shared with you in the past, was that she had a ton of potential but got rolled on to the national stage before she was ready to handle it and ended up hurting a career. Time will tell if it's permanent or not.

The GOP will nominate someone we've only tangentially heard about so far and 2012 will be a referendum on Obama's first four years.

King Crimson
12/20/2008, 12:46 PM
if Palin is the best the GOP can come up with, they are screwed. she was "fun" for one speech but she's even more of a cynical version of the american public than J. Danforth Quayle.

though, i suspect Bill Kristol will get a second chance to coach up a neocon shill like he did with Quayle.

StoopTroup
12/20/2008, 01:14 PM
Oxycontiin...

That's pretty bad. Not as bad as meth....but used incorrectly...death can occur.

My guess she's around some folks who like to bust those up and fire em up. Sad. Not only that...but usually hard core heroin users are more than likely near.

Heard the other day on the radio that meth was making a comeback due to the fact that heroin and coke are so expensive. Drugs is a war we'll never win. We merely are spending our Countries dough on price control anymore. Meth is the worst of them IMO. The Nazis knew how to use that stuff to make things happen...we should try and put that stuff off the street and quit stressing on oxycontin IMO...but the Troopers are really onto to folks who are using the controlled stuff right now. I can't blame them...but Meth is the real problem out there.

Frozen Sooner
12/20/2008, 01:17 PM
Someone mentioned that she had some pretty major back surgery a few years back and speculated that she was hooked on it then.

The intent to distribute charge can come from simply just having a bunch of your drug of choice on hand, even for personal use.

If that's the case, I imagine she'll get a slap on the wrist and mandatory rehab (which would be the best course of action to my mind.)

LosAngelesSooner
12/20/2008, 11:33 PM
It is sad, and at the same time, perhaps simply an element of modern American politics, that the GOP's best hope to regain the WH in 2012 must endure such scrutiny for the next four years. Is it also, perhaps, evidence the donks greatly fear a 2012 GOP ticket with her name at the top?Uhm....NO.

KingBarry
12/21/2008, 06:58 AM
Uhm....NO.

My take is that the Dems DID fear her, and so therefore set about destroying her. Having successfully destroyed her, they now are no longer fearful.

StoopTroup
12/21/2008, 09:58 AM
Now that the Erection is over...

I like Sarah Palin. I like the way she took care of the baby Daddy thing and I think she probably did the right thing when it came to the Trooper...she was just up against a bunch of folks who didn't like her thrusting them into the limelight.

She is probably good for Alaska....but some of Alaska just hasn't figured that out yet.

LosAngelesSooner
12/21/2008, 03:43 PM
My take is that the Dems DID fear her, and so therefore set about destroying her. Having successfully destroyed her, they now are no longer fearful.Yeeeeah. Notsomuch.

I know plenty of dyed in the wool Dems. Not a one of them was afeerd of her getting elected. They feared for the country SHOULD she get elected. but that ain't happenin' now, thanktheLord.