PDA

View Full Version : To the florida posters on the board

boomermagic
12/19/2008, 02:22 PM
Let me just say that you have a very good team.. Now, All I am hearing from you guys is how Florida will beat OU.. I do think you need to think about the possibility of Oklahoma beating Florida.. Just consider that for a moment will you ? It will be a devastating shock if you don't.. At least maybe you will not be totally surprised by what is going to happen if you consider what I have posted here.. I have done my part to break it to you as gently as I can.. Have a good day..

G8trGr8t
12/19/2008, 02:50 PM
It is a very real possibility, anybody that thinks otherwise is not very realistic. OU has a good team with a senior laden OL and a QB that makes great reads and hits his target in stride allowing for big YAC.

Likewise, it is very possible that OU will lose. I expect this to be a very close game until the 4th quarter when one team will either put it away by going up by 2 scores late or win with a final TD drive. I do not expect any blowout. It may follow the same script that the Bama game did and not be decided till late in the game.

If UF cannot get pressure on Bradford, UF will be in for a very long night. If UF turns the ball over like we did against Ole Miss, it will be no contest. If UF does not tackle well in open field and allows the YAC, OU will put up big numbers.

That being said, I like our defense better than the OU defense. Offense may be slight edge OU but that is hard to tell. Special teams I believe favor UF. Coaching is ???? I do know that Urban is one intense dude when it comes to playing the big games. He is 6 - 1 vs our big three rivals (Tenn, Ga, FSU) and had the boys ready to play a big physical team (Bama) from the opening kickoff. The 06 game against OSU was a great job of coaching and game planning. Tressel was totally outclassed. Stoops is a great coach too, we loved him at UF with Spurrier. Made for an awesome offense/defense combination and if Meyer wasn't our coach, Stoops would be at the top of the list. His history in big games is not good though but I am sure he is identifying how to fix that and doing it.

Hope we both have a good game where we play up to our potential with no injuries and/or stupid turnovers/penalties. Do not know who the officiating crew is but I hope they are going to be consistent and even however they call it.

It takes a lot to get there so losing would definitely be a big disappointment for either team. Hate to look to far forward but with only 2 seniors in our two deep, UF has a lot to look forward to regardless.

We should both consider ourselves winners just for making it to Miami, I know I look at UF in that light. Winning a conference championship in either conference is quite an accomplishment in itself.

boomermagic
12/19/2008, 02:56 PM
It is a very real possibility, anybody that thinks otherwise is not very realistic. OU has a good team with a senior laden OL and a QB that makes great reads and hits his target in stride allowing for big YAC.

Likewise, it is very possible that OU will lose. I expect this to be a very close game until the 4th quarter when one team will either put it away by going up by 2 scores late or win with a final TD drive. I do not expect any blowout. It may follow the same script that the Bama game did and not be decided till late in the game.

If UF cannot get pressure on Bradford, UF will be in for a very long night. If UF turns the ball over like we did against Ole Miss, it will be no contest. If UF does not tackle well in open field and allows the YAC, OU will put up big numbers.

That being said, I like our defense better than the OU defense. Offense may be slight edge OU but that is hard to tell. Special teams I believe favor UF. Coaching is ???? I do know that Urban is one intense dude when it comes to playing the big games. He is 6 - 1 vs our big three rivals (Tenn, Ga, FSU) and had the boys ready to play a big physical team (Bama) from the opening kickoff. The 06 game against OSU was a great job of coaching and game planning. Tressel was totally outclassed. Stoops is a great coach too, we loved him at UF with Spurrier. Made for an awesome offense/defense combination and if Meyer wasn't our coach, Stoops would be at the top of the list. His history in big games is not good though but I am sure he is identifying how to fix that and doing it.

Hope we both have a good game where we play up to our potential with no injuries and/or stupid turnovers/penalties. Do not know who the officiating crew is but I hope they are going to be consistent and even however they call it.

It takes a lot to get there so losing would definitely be a big disappointment for either team. Hate to look to far forward but with only 2 seniors in our two deep, UF has a lot to look forward to regardless.

We should both consider ourselves winners just for making it to Miami, I know I look at UF in that light. Winning a conference championship in either conference is quite an accomplishment in itself.

We agree on most things.. I do think Our offense is much better than florida's and anyone elses for that matter.. Defensively, If we play like we did against Texas Tech we will win.. I know fl. and TT are not the same teams but we will win the game if our defense plays with the intensity that it did in that game.. Another thing, We are not the same team that allowed texas to beat us by 10.. We are MUCH improved.. Yes, It should be a good one and either team could win.. OU has the best team IMO and if the best team wins I will be happy...

L-Boy
12/19/2008, 02:58 PM
I would agree I really don't know who will win - when you have 2 different teams from 2 different conferences with no common opponents, you really don't know how it is going to turn out.

My only issue is with those homers on here who throw out a bunch of offensive stats and think that guarantees an OU victory. Its really not that simple. Some here get it, some don't.

boomermagic
12/19/2008, 03:03 PM
I would agree I really don't know who will win - when you have 2 different teams from 2 different conferences with no common opponents, you really don't know how it is going to turn out.

My only issue is with those homers on here who throw out a bunch of offensive stats and think that guarantees an OU victory. Its really not that simple. Some here get it, some don't.

We Sooners fully expect to win the game as do most of you gators I'm sure.. None of us know who will win but I have seen the florida posters throw out a bunch of stats as well... Such as 40 times and game stats against Bama and others.. That will mean zilch when we kick it off..

adoniijahsooner
12/19/2008, 03:08 PM
We Sooners fully expect to win the game as do most of you gators I'm sure.. None of us know who will win but I have seen the florida posters throw out a bunch of stats as well... Such as 40 times and game stats against Bama and others.. That will mean zilch when we kick it off..

Yeah, and how many jack rabbits have been caught.

MojoRisen
12/19/2008, 03:09 PM
Our Recruiting Class is much Faster than Florida's Recruiting Class! FYI

They must have forgot to recruit speed or something this year :)

adoniijahsooner
12/19/2008, 03:14 PM
Our Recruiting Class is much Faster than Florida's Recruiting Class! FYI

They must have forgot to recruit speed or something this year :)

The sudden injection of speed doesnt happen until tebow christens them.

catsigater
12/19/2008, 03:16 PM
Despite all the talk, I think this game could go a lot of different ways. I'm extremely confident in the Gators, but that being said, in these kinds of games, when things go wrong, they can really snowball.

The potential's there for a lopsided game in OU's favor. But I'm standing by my prediction.

41-27 UF.

adoniijahsooner
12/19/2008, 03:21 PM
Despite all the talk, I think this game could go a lot of different ways. I'm extremely confident in the Gators, but that being said, in these kinds of games, when things go wrong, they can really snowball.

The potential's there for a lopsided game in OU's favor. But I'm not as sure about my prediction.

41-27 UF?

Fixed.

I wonder if your gator friends would appreciate your waffling. It appears we are wearing you down, with good ole fashion common sense talk and sooner logic.

G8trGr8t
12/19/2008, 03:32 PM
OU averaged 8 points more per game with ana verage of 3 possessions more. How does that make the OU offense that much better.

With respect to recruting, Meyer doesn't get too serious about that until after the game but we are stacking up pretty good for another top 5 class. Meyer's stated goal is to ahve the fastest team int he country adn we do. We have a lot of young speedsters who are also ball players so you have to have the bigs to go with them but even our bigs move pretty good. Both Rainey and Demps are freshmen rb's that will only get better but they biotha verage over 7 yards per carry, just do not have big total numbers because the ball gets spread around so much.Check out the video if you would like to see some of our freshman that are playing this year.

http://blip.tv/file/1585572/

The best player in Tenn. (Teague) committed yesterday and we will have another series of commits over the next couple of weeks. THe player of the year from Georgia is committed as is Nick Kasa out of Colorado. We have 15 already and are starting to get real selective with all the players that want in. Watch the two high school all-star games and see how many commit to UF. We have probably the best OL class in the country committed already along with some good big uglies on the DL. Three lb's coming in the next couple of weeks that will rank as the best set of lb's signed this year too. It is almost an embarrssment of riches ala USC when you look at some of the talent that had to RS this year because they would not have made the 2 deep. Check out the list on signing day though, anything till then is just speculation, with the exception of the EE's who have to sign within the next 2 weeks.

catsigater
12/19/2008, 03:35 PM
Fixed.

I wonder if your gator friends would appreciate your waffling. It appears we are wearing you down, with good ole fashion common sense talk and sooner logic.

Not at all. It's just I've seen enough games to know that any team can have a few things go wrong, get put on their heels, and fail to recover. OU's offense presents that threat. Just giving you your due.

It's not likely UF will lose their heads. They had every opportunity to do so against Alabama, but Tebow's leadership and the team's talent pulled it through.

I've never taken OU lightly, and I'm sure our coaches don't either - which is one reason I think we'll be prepared to hand them a defensive showing like they've not seen.

adoniijahsooner
12/19/2008, 03:49 PM
OU averaged 8 points more per game with ana verage of 3 possessions more. How does that make the OU offense that much better.

With respect to recruting, Meyer doesn't get too serious about that until after the game but we are stacking up pretty good for another top 5 class. Meyer's stated goal is to ahve the fastest team int he country adn we do. We have a lot of young speedsters who are also ball players so you have to have the bigs to go with them but even our bigs move pretty good. Both Rainey and Demps are freshmen rb's that will only get better but they biotha verage over 7 yards per carry, just do not have big total numbers because the ball gets spread around so much.Check out the video if you would like to see some of our freshman that are playing this year.

The best player in Tenn. (Teague) committed yesterday and we will have another series of commits over the next couple of weeks. THe player of the year from Georgia is committed as is Nick Kasa out of Colorado. We have 15 already and are starting to get real selective with all the players that want in. Watch the two high school all-star games and see how many commit to UF. We have probably the best OL class in the country committed already along with some good big uglies on the DL. Three lb's coming in the next couple of weeks that will rank as the best set of lb's signed this year too. It is almost an embarrssment of riches ala USC when you look at some of the talent that had to RS this year because they would not have made the 2 deep. Check out the list on signing day though, anything till then is just speculation, with the exception of the EE's who have to sign within the next 2 weeks.

This may be one of our "lesser" classes star wise, but I think stoops is going back to to hard working athletes and character guys. Our last 2 Heisman winners didnt show up on anyone's radar. Don't put alot of stock into recruiting services and high profile players. USC still finds a way to lose to Oregon State, Stanford, and california on occasion, even with all of that talent. Florida still found a way to lose at home to the running rebels.

HiFiGator
12/19/2008, 03:52 PM
Boomermagic wrote:

Let me just say that you have a very good team.. Now, All I am hearing from you guys is how Florida will beat OU.. I do think you need to think about the possibility of Oklahoma beating Florida.. Just consider that for a moment will you ? It will be a devastating shock if you don't.. At least maybe you will not be totally surprised by what is going to happen if you consider what I have posted here.. I have done my part to break it to you as gently as I can.. Have a good day..

Ok, Mr. back handed compliment ... That is so nice of you to be thoughtful and to think of our feelings.

Ok, I'll bite: I think the exact same is true in reverse. You guys to a man seem to think that the game is no contest. You seem consumed by the fact that your offense is unbeatable. Your team kind of reminds me of our 95-96 team. We thought we were unbeatable. We were in the regular season and we didn't have any trouble in Atlanta. Sure, we had given up some good yardage in games and had been sucseptable to the big play occassionally, but our offense was so good that we would still make enough plays to outscore our opponents. Obviously, no two teams are the same. But we went in to that fateful night in Tempe thinking that our offense couldn't be stopped. Maybe a degree of the outcome was because of a swelled head, but you have to give most of the credit to that Nebraska team. We ran into a team with a really good offense and a really good defense. For those who don't remember: Nebraska took the opening kickoff right down the field for a TD. We responded with a rapid, 4 or 5 play TD drive, but again offered little resistance defensively. Fourteen to seven Huskers, ten minutes into the game. We again drove right down the field, but a dropped pass in the endzone by Chris Doering and a holding penalty later, we had to kick a field goal. At 14-10 it was up to our defense to put us back "on serve," but it wasn't to be. As we fell behind by more than one score, our playbook was more and more limited. We continued to lose the field position battle and eventually it was a blowout. What you should consider is what happens to the Sooners if they have a similar fate? Basically, we ran into a really good offense AND a really good defense. I know you like to keep saying that you are a really good defensive team. I know that many say that you "aren't the same team that lost to Texas." Fair enough, but then you would have to admit that it's fair to say that we aren't the same team that lost by a blocked extra point a month earlier than your loss. Sure, your defense played better at some points later in the year, but even so you must admit that when you give up 420 yards a game, you DON'T have a good defense -- regardless of how you spin it. I'm not saying you can't win. In fact, I think that both teams and coaches are good enough that it will likely come down to big plays on special teams or turnovers. Both teams have been excellent at protecting the ball, so the turning point really should be special teams. We had an edge before, but with Murray out, you have to give us a significant edge now. I think it is you who needs to start contemplating life after a loss.

adoniijahsooner
12/19/2008, 03:56 PM
You guys really believe that murray is the straw that stirs the sooner offense, huh? He is very important, but realize that when he went down the offense didnt suffer one setback. Is that clear to you? I just watched that video, and alot of the plays made on defense were gift-wrapped by idiot qb's throwing into triple coverage. SAM BRADFORD IS THE ****!!!!!

OKC-SLC
12/19/2008, 04:01 PM
I worry a great deal about our defense against Florida's offense. I believe Florida's is easily the best offense we'll face this year, and we've managed to give up a fair amount of points this season (although there are a bunch of meaningless garbage touchdowns posted at the end of games on our schedule).

I think gameplanning and preparation are going to be key. I think one team is going to come in firing and the other flat. I hope the hot one is OU, because I think that team is the one who will win. I agree that if OU comes with the attitude they had at the TT game, it's gonna be real hard to beat us. But if they come with anything less than that, it's gonna be real hard to beat UF.

The hype, press, and predictions nationally speaking are really going to be hard to ignore if you're a Florida player. This OU team has had a habit the last few years of playing their best games when their manhood is threatened by the media or opposing teams. The eggs we've laid in games have been games we were supposed to win (recall how big of favorites we were for OU/TX this year).

I guess I'll believe a great defensive performance by this team in a bowl game when I see one. And I've seen exactly one since Nate Hybl was crowned Rose Bowl MVP.

OKC-SLC
12/19/2008, 04:04 PM
Additionally, our special teams are a real liability.

Pieces Hit
12/19/2008, 04:09 PM
I'm just worried about our horses getting tired.

OKC-SLC
12/19/2008, 04:10 PM
Boy, I sure hope you're right.

HiFiGator
12/19/2008, 04:12 PM
adoniij wrote:

You guys really believe that murray is the straw that stirs the sooner offense, huh? He is very important, but realize that when he went down the offense didnt suffer one setback. Is that clear to you? I just watched that video, and alot of the plays made on defense were gift-wrapped by idiot qb's throwing into triple coverage. SAM BRADFORD IS THE ****!!!!!

Since this post immediately followed mine, and since I did mention DeMarco's loss, then I can only presume that your words are in response to mine. My point had nothing to do with offense. I said that I thought the game should come down to turnovers and big special team plays. Since both teams have been exceptional at protecting the ball, that would shift even more focus and importance to special teams. I think we had the advantage before, and with Murray out, our special teams edge is even more significant. I wasn't talking about offense at all, but merely special teams.

SoonerStormchaser
12/19/2008, 04:19 PM
I still have my doubts that we will win...I hope like hell I'm wrong.

OU_2000
12/19/2008, 04:23 PM
Boomermagic wrote:

Ok, Mr. back handed compliment ... That is so nice of you to be thoughtful and to think of our feelings.

Ok, I'll bite: I think the exact same is true in reverse. You guys to a man seem to think that the game is no contest. You seem consumed by the fact that your offense is unbeatable. Your team kind of reminds me of our 95-96 team. We thought we were unbeatable. We were in the regular season and we didn't have any trouble in Atlanta. Sure, we had given up some good yardage in games and had been sucseptable to the big play occassionally, but our offense was so good that we would still make enough plays to outscore our opponents. Obviously, no two teams are the same. But we went in to that fateful night in Tempe thinking that our offense couldn't be stopped. Maybe a degree of the outcome was because of a swelled head, but you have to give most of the credit to that Nebraska team. We ran into a team with a really good offense and a really good defense. For those who don't remember: Nebraska took the opening kickoff right down the field for a TD. We responded with a rapid, 4 or 5 play TD drive, but again offered little resistance defensively. Fourteen to seven Huskers, ten minutes into the game. We again drove right down the field, but a dropped pass in the endzone by Chris Doering and a holding penalty later, we had to kick a field goal. At 14-10 it was up to our defense to put us back "on serve," but it wasn't to be. As we fell behind by more than one score, our playbook was more and more limited. We continued to lose the field position battle and eventually it was a blowout. What you should consider is what happens to the Sooners if they have a similar fate? Basically, we ran into a really good offense AND a really good defense. I know you like to keep saying that you are a really good defensive team. I know that many say that you "aren't the same team that lost to Texas." Fair enough, but then you would have to admit that it's fair to say that we aren't the same team that lost by a blocked extra point a month earlier than your loss. Sure, your defense played better at some points later in the year, but even so you must admit that when you give up 420 yards a game, you DON'T have a good defense -- regardless of how you spin it. I'm not saying you can't win. In fact, I think that both teams and coaches are good enough that it will likely come down to big plays on special teams or turnovers. Both teams have been excellent at protecting the ball, so the turning point really should be special teams. We had an edge before, but with Murray out, you have to give us a significant edge now. I think it is you who needs to start contemplating life after a loss.

This is a relatively fair assessment, as far as I can see. I really dont see there being a significant edge for either team other than special teams, which i place firmly in UF's favor.

I think it all comes down to two things: OUr O-line's ability to keep pressure off Sam and OUr defense's ability to make Tebow one dimensional. Those up the middle Tebow runs for 8 or 10 yards every third play need to be stopped; I think we have enough speed on the edge to string out that option stuff they run around the end.

OKC-SLC
12/19/2008, 04:24 PM
I still have my doubts that we will win...I hope like hell I'm wrong.
I'm even nervous because it's another BCS game we're in being broadcast by Fox. We have not looked good on their otherwise craptastic quality broadcasts in these games.

OKC-SLC
12/19/2008, 04:27 PM
Those up the middle Tebow runs for 8 or 10 yards every third play need to be stopped

This is precisely the stuff I'm most worried about on defense. If whoever is eligible to play in our defensive backfield has to start thinking too much about helping to stop this, we're in trouble. This is where we may miss Granger more than we think--the more fresh big bodies in the D line and LB spots, the better.

Circle City Gator
12/19/2008, 04:46 PM
This is precisely the stuff I'm most worried about on defense. If whoever is eligible to play in our defensive backfield has to start thinking too much about helping to stop this, we're in trouble. This is where we may miss Granger more than we think--the more fresh big bodies in the D line and LB spots, the better.

Tebow is not the only guy who runs up the middle. We also run a lot of trap plays that start out looking like the option, then one of the speedsters runs inside. That is where the speed really makes the big difference, not just in the open field. Spaces that just are not holes for other running backs are holes for Rainey, Demps, and Harvin, particularly the last two (Rainey doesn't hit the hole quite as quickly, though that might have been because of a now healed nagging injury). Demps pretty regularly gets 5-7 yards inside, where it looks like there is no room and he's so small he should be hand-tackled. Just an observation- a lot of people look at the size of those guys and just assume we only run outside.

MojoRisen
12/19/2008, 04:48 PM
People maybe surprised how good OU is agains't the run - I wonder if Florida is going to be able to stretch the field. I do not think Tebow is better than Mccoy. Definitely not as dangerous as Robinson

We need to stop the run, and I think we will...

cheezyq
12/19/2008, 04:48 PM

Well, you can gather 2 things from those statistics:

1. OU's defense is better than you give it credit because it is returning the ball to the offense more frequently.
2. OU's offense runs faster and is able to score more quickly.

But simply stated, the majority of OU's games had them running the clock down the entire 2nd half. With the pedal to the metal, so to speak, the entire game, it would seem that the OU offense is indeed a LOT better than UF's.

We have these lame recruiting discussions with the almighty Texas Longhorns every year....and nearly every year we're the ones headed to championship games. What matters is not the stars behind a players name, but what he does when he gets to the university. Sam Bradford was a 3-star QB who was barely recruited.

NYC Poke
12/19/2008, 04:49 PM
OU was one of the few teams to hold Hunter under 100. Granted, Robinson ran for quite a few, but still.

OKC-SLC
12/19/2008, 04:52 PM
Tebow is not the only guy who runs up the middle. We also run a lot of trap plays that start out looking like the option, then one of the speedsters runs inside. That is where the speed really makes the big difference, not just in the open field. Spaces that just are not holes for other running backs are holes for Rainey, Demps, and Harvin, particularly the last two (Rainey doesn't hit the hole quite as quickly, though that might have been because of a now healed nagging injury). Demps pretty regularly gets 5-7 yards inside, where it looks like there is no room and he's so small he should be hand-tackled. Just an observation- a lot of people look at the size of those guys and just assume we only run outside.

I think we'll do ok against the run; not great, but good enough. I think what kills our D is the 3rd and 8 gains of 12 by QBs. Your QB is good at that. [edit: see above comment by NYC Poke as well]

I should hope your team isn't as convinced as to their superiority in the speed department as their fans and the media seem to be. Nobody's ever called us slow...

Circle City Gator
12/19/2008, 04:53 PM
But simply stated, the majority of OU's games had them running the clock down the entire 2nd half. With the pedal to the metal, so to speak, the entire game, it would seem that the OU offense is indeed a LOT better than UF's.

Nah. Florida let up a lot, too. We just had enough confidence in our defense that we were able to do it with a 21 point lead. We didn't feel like we needed to be over 50 before we could send in the second team. :D

cheezyq
12/19/2008, 05:00 PM
Nah. Florida let up a lot, too. We just had enough confidence in our defense that we were able to do it with a 21 point lead. We didn't feel like we needed to be over 50 before we could send in the second team. :D

Good point! OU did score 50 in a couple of first halves. ;)

TXBOOMER
12/19/2008, 05:06 PM
To all Gator fans. You guys have a great team and so do we. But, if this game is properly officiated you guys are going to be in trouble. Never before have I seen so much holding go uncalled as I did in the SEC championship game. It was absolutely unreal. If the officials let your O Line hold like that against us without calling it we will be in trouble. I am hopeful we get good officiating without phantom pass interference calls, phantom late hits out of bounds etc.

Circle City Gator
12/19/2008, 05:08 PM
To all Gator fans. You guys have a great team and so do we. But, if this game is properly officiated you guys are going to be in trouble. Never before have I seen so much holding go uncalled as I did in the SEC championship game. It was absolutely unreal. If the officials let your O Line hold like that against us without calling it we will be in trouble. I am hopeful we get good officiating without phantom pass interference calls, phantom late hits out of bounds etc.

Watch that game again. Florida was in orange and blue. The team you're talking about was in crimson and white. And yeah, they were holding like crazy.

HiFiGator
12/19/2008, 05:18 PM
OKC wrote:

I think we'll do ok against the run; not great, but good enough. I think what kills our D is the 3rd and 8 gains of 12 by QBs. Your QB is good at that. [edit: see above comment by NYC Poke as well]

I should hope your team isn't as convinced as to their superiority in the speed department as their fans and the media seem to be. Nobody's ever called us slow...

Your stats are fine against the run, allowing just over 100 yards per game. But as we all agree, stats don't tell the whole story. With the nature of your games, the other team tends to be behind from the start and the more the game progresses, the less they can run. Still, I wouldn't want to make a living trying to run the ball on you exclusively. As for the speed question, people really don't understand the argument. It isn't the top guys that create the difference. Well, ok, maybe it is the top guys that create the difference if you are playing a Baylor or a Memphis. The speed issue isn't how much faster Harvin is than Murray. Or whether Iglesias can outrun Murphy etc... The speed advantage comes basically from 3 areas:

1. The second and third teamers are as fast, or almost as fast as the first teamers. I think OU probably has much of this same on their team. A lot of teams have that one guy that lightning fast. The key is what kind of dropoff is there if he gets hurt or needs a break?

2. The conference as a whole is incredibly fast. Week in and week out, there are people all over the field who can flat out fly. That's even true of the Vandys and Miss. St.'s of the world. Again, I think the Big 12 this season can say similar things. Still, year in and year out the SEC has this advantage over any conference. The reason that matters is that you play weekly against a fast team. A couple of years ago, I had this discussion ad nauseum with Ohio St. fans. They never seemed to understand that I wasn't saying that our team was so much faster than their team. Rather, I was saying that our team was significantly faster than the Wisconsins, Northwesterns, Iowas and Indianas of the world. Even conceding that Michigan might have had similar speed (which they didn't), but still, even conceding them, that still isn't the same as playing SEC speed every week. You simply learn different angles. You simply have to adjust your own techniques. That was really the key to this aspect of SEC speed.

3. This is what I think is the largest advantage. The speed is at every position. It isn't just the wideouts or running backs that are blazing fast. It's the defensive ends that run 4.5s, and the linebackers that crack into the 4.4s. Even the "slow" linebackers run 4.5s. Where that matters is primarily to your offensive team. Everyone must adjust. The blockers aren't quite where they expect to be. The hole isn't open quite as long. The tackler can cut of the angle just a smidge earlier. etc... Actually, the real advantage is the combination of 2 and 3. The speed is spread all over the field AND you see it on a weekly basis.

I don't expect you to take it from me though. You will probably do what the Buckeyes did, and must see it for yourselves. I just ask you one thing: if we are fortunate to win, as I fully expect, please don't be a Buckeye and blame it on some kind of nonsense. First it was the distraction of not playing Michigan, which they claimed they really wanted to play again. Playing us was a "let down" and they weren't focused. Then it was the layoff that hurt them. Then it was the injury to Ginn Jr. That's especially odd, because I didn't know he played defense. We scored 41 points! In any case, just remember, I tried to warn you.

TXBOOMER
12/19/2008, 05:27 PM
Watch that game again. Florida was in orange and blue. The team you're talking about was in crimson and white. And yeah, they were holding like crazy.

I am certainly not saying Alabama didn't do it as well. I couldn't believe the best SEC officials let it go all day without being called. I would need to look at the box scores to see if they slanted the calls one way or the other. I'm just saying I hope they don't let that crap go in the BCS game. You guys know as well as I do a call here or a call there in a close contest can fock the outcome.

OKC-SLC
12/19/2008, 05:46 PM
words about SEC speed....more words....yep, still more words....I tried to warn you.

I definitely agree that the SEC boasts the most overall speed. And perhaps that will give us fits. And perhaps it will not. But I would not be getting drunk on this notion that nobody outside of the SEC truly understands it or can compete against it. And trust me when I tell you that OU is gonna look a whole lot faster to your Gators then tOSU did.

What did Vanderbilt think about Duke's speed when they lost to them this year? Or Wake Forest's?

I've got a pile of 52-10 which says Texas dealt with this SEC speed fairly well in Austin against the pigs--the same pigs which ventured out of conference to test their mettle against Western Illinois (28-24 win) and LA-Monroe (28-27 track meet).

And please lecture us on team speed whilst explaining how the turbo UGA Dogs lost to every single good team they played.

And Mississippi state? Losers to GA Tech and LA Tech but winners against the speedy Middle Tennessee Staters by 9.

Look, Florida probably has more speed than anyone we've played this season--on offense and defense. But I'm not sure that's going to be all it takes for UF. If UF wins (I think better than 50% chance UF wins, by the way), speed will not be the only reason. This myth that the SEC speed is some untouchable deity has gotten out of control.

By the way, something I noticed while perusing SEC teams' schedules is that over the entire season, SEC teams are 2-2 in road games outside of the South (UGA over Ariz. State, Vandy over Miami of Ohio, Texas over Arkansas, and UCLA over Tenn). It always seems that SEC teams rarely travel outside of the South to play games. I'm not sure which is more surprising to me--that only two games were won or that only four games were played.

MojoRisen
12/19/2008, 05:53 PM
I don't expect you to take it from me though. You will probably do what the Buckeyes did, and must see it for yourselves. I just ask you one thing: if we are fortunate to win, as I fully expect, please don't be a Buckeye and blame it on some kind of nonsense. First it was the distraction of not playing Michigan, which they claimed they really wanted to play again. Playing us was a "let down" and they weren't focused. Then it was the layoff that hurt them. Then it was the injury to Ginn Jr. That's especially odd, because I didn't know he played defense. We scored 41 points! In any case, just remember, I tried to warn you.[/QUOTE]

Kind of Like Iowa vs LSU in 05 or FLA vs Michigan last year? Big 10 does suck and I am pretty sure they play some highschool ball in Texas, Okla and Louisana.

I remember thinking 41 points wow on Ohio St -

now that is a first half score for us :pop:

PDXsooner
12/19/2008, 06:17 PM
Florida fans don't want to discuss the game, they want to tell you how fast, dominant, great, super, wonderful, unbeatable they are. Quite frankly, I'm not going to tell them that because their players are no faster than OU's.

I went over to their boards and all they do is jerk each other off about how great they are. Ok, we'll see on Jan 8th..what's the point of trying to discuss it with them?

picasso
12/19/2008, 06:28 PM
Florida fans don't want to discuss the game, they want to tell you how fast, dominant, great, super, wonderful, unbeatable they are. Quite frankly, I'm not going to tell them that because their players are no faster than OU's.

I went over to their boards and all they do is jerk each other off about how great they are. Ok, we'll see on Jan 8th..what's the point of trying to discuss it with them?

a circle jerk? where does Howzit sign up?

delhalew
12/19/2008, 06:31 PM
Thinking of officiating gets my blood pressure high. I want no big 12ers(absolutly no pac10ers), and no SEC. I saw awful...truly horrendous officiating in the SEC. We locals know all about the completely inept Big 12 crews. At this point, I'm hoping for Big Icantcount officials. I just want a clean game. The last thing I want is to come out thinking about the fumble recovery that is ignored or bla, bla, bla.

I am more confident about a Sooner win as time goes on. I have a "feeling" about a couple of things.

1.I think special teams will bite us in the rear...again.

2. On the positive, I think we get the turnovers we are used to...maybe more. I see a couple interceptions and a fumble.

Pure conjecture. I know, its just the feeling I have.

MojoRisen
12/19/2008, 06:43 PM
THE SEC is 5 & 6 vs the big 10 in the last 4 years bowl games. The point difference is a slight edge to Big 10 - even with the UF blow out of the luckeyes.

Big 10 is the slowest confernce in football's big 6...

Enough said

BAHAHAHAA AA

KingBarry
12/20/2008, 05:14 AM
Thoughts on team speed --

A wise old guru once told me that players from southern states were fast, and players from northern states were strong. His explanation was that in the North, with long, cold winters, athletes naturally become gym rats and pump iron for months on end.

By contrast, in the sunny South, athletes are outdoors running year round.

I think that is the source of the SEC's self-assessed "speed advantage."

But UFers forget that Oklahoma (and Texas, the other key source for OU talent) both have warm southern climates, and so do our Big-XII South rivals.

OU has team speed, TX has team speed, so does Tech, and even lil brother (that's OK State for the Gators) managed to get a few fast guys on the field this year. Heck, Baylor's QB is a speedster.

Maybe SEC teams have more week-to-week experience against speed than the Sooners do, but this is not exactly an SEC-Big 10 mis-match coming up in Miami.

To my mind, I expect that one team will fail to show up, and that team will lose. Given our recent record in bowl games, I fear it could be us. But this OU team has had a great mental attitude all year, so I'm crossing fingers that this is finally the year we give it our best shot in a bowl game.

If, however, both teams are on their game, I foresee a shoot out -- comparable to our game with OK State. But Florida is far better than OSU, and will almost certainly be the best team we've faced on both sides of the ball.

If the BCS Championship turns out to be the shoot out that I envision, it may go down as the most exciting title game in history, and a few playmakers will determine the outcome.

My fingers are crossed that Fla takes the night off.

SOFSooner
12/20/2008, 07:14 AM
What I would like to know is if the Gator's defense is practicing for what they have seen the SOONER offense do this year, what makes them think that the SOONERS won't add more wrinkles into the offensive gameplan that hasn't been seen yet? And likewise for the defense, you saw what OU did against Missouri defensively and that was with a week to prepare for their offense. With BV talking to the former LSU defensive coordinator, now head coach at Nebraska, on the tendancies of the Gator offense it will help OU defense to see what Florida tends to do in their different formation. Given that the argument about OU's offensive gameplan having different looks, the same can be said for the Gator offense. So I guess we will have to wait until 8 Jan to see what team does what to who. SOONERS the winningest football program in the last fifty years. BOOMER SOONER!

HiFiGator
12/20/2008, 12:41 PM
Thinking of officiating gets my blood pressure high. I want no big 12ers(absolutly no pac10ers), and no SEC. I saw awful...truly horrendous officiating in the SEC. We locals know all about the completely inept Big 12 crews. At this point, I'm hoping for Big Icantcount officials. I just want a clean game. The last thing I want is to come out thinking about the fumble recovery that is ignored or bla, bla, bla.

I am more confident about a Sooner win as time goes on. I have a "feeling" about a couple of things.

1.I think special teams will bite us in the rear...again.

2. On the positive, I think we get the turnovers we are used to...maybe more. I see a couple interceptions and a fumble.

Pure conjecture. I know, its just the feeling I have.

Maybe so ... we did throw a couple already this year ... in 13 games.

PDX wrote:

You are kidding right? You forgot your emoticon. For the most part, all of you over here babble incessantly about how great you are and how you can't be beaten.

delhalew
12/20/2008, 12:53 PM

PDX wrote:

You are kidding right? You forgot your emoticon. For the most part, all of you over here babble incessantly about how great you are and how you can't be beaten.

I'm aware of Tebow's lack of interceptions. That happens to be one our D's saving graces. OU defense will cause turnovers. Sometimes at the detriment of coverage or proper tackling. Its our downfall as wel as our strength.

tbl
12/20/2008, 01:13 PM
I don't think most Sooners here believe it is a slam dunk that we win. I know for a fact I don't. I'm incredibly concerned about this game and I am literally split 50/50 on it. My butthole hurts just thinking about it. I'm not really sure what that means...

SoonerTank
12/20/2008, 01:38 PM
I don't think most Sooners here believe it is a slam dunk that we win. I know for a fact I don't. I'm incredibly concerned about this game and I am literally split 50/50 on it. My butthole hurts just thinking about it. I'm not really sure what that means...

I'm in agreement again. It isn't a slam dunk in my opinion either. There is a part of me that is very confident in our abilities, and then I think back on years past when I had the same feelings and we lost. We don't lose that often anymore and it is a surprise when we do. I'm not a doctor so I'm not sure what that butthole hurting means either, but I look at buttholes all day and they hurt me to.

HiFiGator
12/20/2008, 01:42 PM
This is no fair. You guys are making me spit my drink on my keyboard. If that continues, the buttons will start sticking and I will no longer be able to grace you with my beneficial enlightenment.

FirstandGoal
12/20/2008, 01:45 PM
http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/JPEG%27S/Images,%20General/PreparationH.jpg

tulsaoilerfan
12/20/2008, 05:28 PM
http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/JPEG%27S/Images,%20General/PreparationH.jpg

PIITB!!!!!!!!!!!!

PDXsooner
12/20/2008, 06:48 PM

PDX wrote:

OU 47 Fla 30

L-Boy
12/20/2008, 08:51 PM
This is no fair. You guys are making me spit my drink on my keyboard. If that continues, the buttons will start sticking and I will no longer be able to grace you with my beneficial enlightenment.

I am guessing this isn't the first time you have gotten stick stuff on your keyboard.

cheezyq
12/20/2008, 08:59 PM

Hey HiFi, check out my sig. Thanks for that, btw.

HungaryGator
12/20/2008, 09:06 PM

and vice versa about the possibility of you losing and it being a big shock. It should be a great game. I'm looking forward to it.

Soonermagik
12/20/2008, 09:28 PM
Florida has a great team. However, when I look at the matchup I give OU an edge on offense, and I give a nod to UF's defense. That = a great title game.

If OU can protect Bradford I think they will win. If UF can get to Bradford then I think OU will lose. Yeah, maybe it's not that simple i.e. turnovers, but I think it's a huge key to the game.

HungaryGator
12/20/2008, 09:28 PM
Florida fans don't want to discuss the game, they want to tell you how fast, dominant, great, super, wonderful, unbeatable they are.

Phew! It sure is a good thing they are the only ones who do that. :)

HungaryGator
12/20/2008, 09:35 PM
Florida has a great team. However, when I look at the matchup I give OU an edge on offense, and I give a nod to UF's defense. That = a great title game.

If OU can protect Bradford I think they will win. If UF can get to Bradford then I think OU will lose. Yeah, maybe it's not that simple i.e. turnovers, but I think it's a huge key to the game.

I think you're probably right. UF will need to get some kind of pressure on Bradford to force some incompletions or mistakes. Since the UF DL is not dominant due to youth (one Junior, no Seniors) I'm expecting some zone blitzes to try to generate that pressure.

On the other side of the ball, I'd say OU's Defense needs to force a couple of turnovers (more likely fumbles than picks since Tebow doesn't throw too many). Another key for both teams will just be plain ole mundane 3rd down efficiency.

sozo
12/21/2008, 10:24 AM

How did we get those possessions?Think about it!