PDA

View Full Version : Osborne/Pelini hope Nebraska’s offense will mirror Florida

oupride
12/19/2008, 01:13 PM
Here's a little side-story coming out of Lincoln that you might find interesting.
http://bigrednetwork.com/archives/2008/12/future_nebraska_offense_could.html

Dan Thompson
12/19/2008, 02:40 PM
He might be think differently after the Jan 8th game.

ETGator1
12/19/2008, 03:04 PM
The key to the spread option is to be flexible and adaptable with it and mold it to your talent available.

UF won the 06 national championship using a pass first QB and a FB.

UF is going to win the 08 national championship using a run first QB and we haven't used a FB all year. (wink)

It's all about being flexible and adaptable and the spread option allows that. I can see with UNL's offensive history why they would like to use it. It adds in the passing game that Tom Osbourne didn't have on a regular basis.

adoniijahsooner
12/19/2008, 03:12 PM
The key to the spread option is to be flexible and adaptable with it and mold it to your talent available.

UF is going to win the 08 national championship using a run first QB and we haven't used a FB all year. (wink)

It's all about being flexible and adaptable and the spread option allows that. I can see with UNL's offensive history why they would like to use it. It adds in the passing game that Tom Osbourne didn't have on a regular basis.

Are sure Nebraska can use that offense, considering they dont possess breathtaking speed, and the messiah at quarterback.

Soonerbuck1
12/19/2008, 03:44 PM
messiah at qb. hehehe

ETGator1
12/19/2008, 04:07 PM
That's the point exactly. Chris Leak wasn't the messiah QB of the spread that Tebow is. John Brantley who will replace Tebow will be a hybrid of the two, more like the guy Meyer used at Utah. It's flexible and adaptable.

oupride
12/19/2008, 04:13 PM

We are not Ohio State.

cheezyq
12/19/2008, 04:34 PM
Let's be honest here, Nebraska HAS to choose the UF offense because the OU offense is impossible to imitate. Nebraska (or anyone else, for that matter) will probably never see the type of versatility of OU's players to be able to pull of the Sooner offense. Heck, we may never have that type of versatility again ourselves.

There has never been an offense like ours that can line up in I formation, single back, or empty backfield without changing personnel and doing it all in the fast break mode/no huddle.

The only time I can ever imagine anyone duplicating this offense is in the SEC where all the players are NFL caliber. ;)

Mark_in_Tulsa
12/19/2008, 04:45 PM

Tell me more about this said "spread offense". Sounds neat and exciting. Maybe old Stoops needs to try this.

Crucifax Autumn
12/20/2008, 02:07 AM
It's the end times...Osborne proposing a spread offense. Next thing you know Switzer's gonna be talking about all the bad things that can happen when you run the ball.

itsok
12/20/2008, 02:58 AM
This is all I know, we are going to kick UF butt!

ETGator1
12/20/2008, 11:24 AM
Let's be honest here, Nebraska HAS to choose the UF offense because the OU offense is impossible to imitate. Nebraska (or anyone else, for that matter) will probably never see the type of versatility of OU's players to be able to pull of the Sooner offense. Heck, we may never have that type of versatility again ourselves.

There has never been an offense like ours that can line up in I formation, single back, or empty backfield without changing personnel and doing it all in the fast break mode/no huddle.

The only time I can ever imagine anyone duplicating this offense is in the SEC where all the players are NFL caliber. ;)

The OU offense isn't impossible to imitate. The OU offense is a knockoff of the Florida State offense that Bobby Bowden ran with Charlie Ward in 1993. There really isn't anything that can't be duplicated or hasn't been done before.

WileyCoyote
12/20/2008, 11:39 AM
The 'spread' will morph and evolve, defenses will adjust and a new 'era' will emerge. It's fun to watch.

My experience of watching the evolution of offenses vs defenses doesn't predate the 'bone'. But I vividly remember that. Texas, Oklahoma and Alabama were winning and dominating with it. Other schools started adopting it and for it. Defenses adjusted etc etc.

The same will and is happening with the 'Spread'. It is relatively early in it's evolution. It sure as hell is fun to watch.

Like all of it....you might get the X's and O's drawn up.....but you better have the players to execute it. Just ask Rich Rodriguez....lmao

IronSoonerMan
12/20/2008, 01:17 PM
The OU offense isn't impossible to imitate. The OU offense is a knockoff of the Florida State offense that Bobby Bowden ran with Charlie Ward in 1993. There really isn't anything that can't be duplicated or hasn't been done before.

Didnt They beat UF at home that year?

soonerspudman
12/20/2008, 01:33 PM

Charlie Ward does not equal Sam Bradford. Exactly who on the UF scout team is playing Bradford? The gators will have spent five weeks preparing for what they think they'll see, what they actually do see will not be what they practiced against. OU can easily duplicate UF's "speed" from about 20 different scout players (sorry to spoil your myth), however UF can't duplicate Sam Bradford, not even close.

Ground_Attack
12/20/2008, 01:56 PM

A knockoff of the 1993 FSU offense? That is freakin' retarded. A knockoff is a cheap imitation of an origional, higher quality object. The OU offense of 2008 runs circles around the 1993 FSU squad. observe...

2008 OU 1993 FSU
Total points 702 518
Points per game 54.0 39.8
Total off plays 1036 939
Total offense yds 7307 6576
Yards per game 562.1 548.0
Touchdowns 97 70
First Downs 361 350

PalmBeachSooner
12/20/2008, 05:14 PM

The FSU offense with Charlie Ward is nothing like the OU offense, not even close. CW did more with his legs than his arm. Otherwise he would have been playing in the NFL and not the NBA. Wasn't he the first Heisman trophy winner to go undrafted?

cheezyq
12/20/2008, 05:29 PM
That's the point exactly. Chris Leak wasn't the messiah QB of the spread that Tebow is. John Brantley who will replace Tebow will be a hybrid of the two, more like the guy Meyer used at Utah. It's flexible and adaptable.

Damn. Not only do you guys have the fastest players in the world, play in the superest-duperest conference in the galaxy, but now you guys have the universe's best offensive scheme? And as if that weren't enough, Tebow = Jesus, but your upcoming superstar is even BETTER?

Who can stand a chance against this onslaught of talent?!?!?!?!? Florida will reign for the next 8 centuries! Armageddon is nigh, and Saint Harvin and Father Demps will get it all started on January 8th.