PDA

View Full Version : Georgia woman jailed over head scarf

Frozen Sooner
12/18/2008, 07:34 PM
ATLANTA – A judge ordered the arrest of a Muslim woman who refused to take off her head scarf at a court security checkpoint.

The judge ordered Lisa Valentine, 40, to serve 10 days in jail for contempt of court, said police in Douglasville, a city of about 20,000 people on Atlanta's west suburban outskirts.

Valentine violated a court policy that prohibits people from wearing any headgear in court, police said after the Tuesday arrest.

The Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations urged federal authorities to investigate the incident as well as others in Georgia.

"I just felt stripped of my civil, my human rights," Valentine told The Associated Press on Wednesday from her home, after she said she was unexpectedly released once CAIR got involved. Jail officials declined to say why she was freed.

Municipal Court Judge Keith Rollins said that "it would not be appropriate" for him to comment on the case.

Last year, a judge in Valdosta in southern Georgia barred a Muslim woman from entering a courtroom because she would not remove her head scarf. There have been similar cases in other states, including Michigan, where a Muslim woman in Detroit filed a federal lawsuit in February 2007 after a judge dismissed her small-claims court case when she refused to remove a head and face veil.

Valentine's husband, Omar Hall, said his wife was accompanying her nephew to a traffic citation hearing when officials stopped her at the metal detector and told her she would not be allowed in the courtroom with the head scarf, known as a hijab.

Hall said Valentine, an insurance underwriter, told the bailiff that she had been in courtrooms before with the scarf on and that removing it would be a religious violation. When she turned to leave and uttered an expletive, Hall said a bailiff handcuffed her and took her before the judge.

First, I think that the headline is misleading. She was jailed over cursing out an officer of the court, not because of her headgear.

However, thoughts? Is the courtroom rule a violation of her first amendment right to religious expression? No?

I'm on the side of the court in this one, by the way. I'm just curious what some of the people who actually have legal education think.

1890MilesToNorman
12/18/2008, 07:45 PM
If that judge had ordered me to take off my OU hat he would have needed a doctor. I got religion too ya know! ;)

BigRedJed
12/18/2008, 07:47 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art4/1217081mugyear15.jpg

Curly Bill
12/18/2008, 07:55 PM
So...how long until we hear about this judges car blowing up? ;)

:D

47straight
12/18/2008, 08:17 PM
Prolly not allowed under either RLUIPA or 1st Amend.

Jerk
12/18/2008, 09:32 PM
Messin' with a judge in the court room is kind of like slapping a pit bull.

Okla-homey
12/19/2008, 06:41 AM
Messin' with a judge in the court room is kind of like slapping a pit bull.

Heh. Last week, I personally observed a guy get cuffed-up in the Tulsa County court house for muttering the words, "mean old lady" about a county judge during her bogus check docket.

12/19/2008, 09:55 AM
Hell, if looking to get in trouble, I can think of many phrases that trump, "Mean Old Lady."

C&CDean
12/19/2008, 11:06 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/trutv/thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art4/1217081mugyear15.jpg

Yikes. If I was the judge I'd slap her *** in jail for not completely covering up that fugly mug.

yermom
12/19/2008, 11:27 AM
i can understand being upset about some arbitrary rule if it involves a head scarf like that

when i first read this, i was thinking like this:
http://www.hyscience.com/burka.jpg

you know like the ones trying to wear them for a picture ID photo :rolleyes:

TMcGee86
12/19/2008, 04:14 PM
separation of church and state beyonce.

Your sad devotion to that ancient religion will not help get you through this metal detector. bwahhhahaha

BigRedJed
12/22/2008, 04:24 PM
I don't think that picture I posted had anything to do with the woman in the story. It was just a woman in a head scarf, and it was funny. At least to me.

yermom
12/22/2008, 04:48 PM
here's the pic from this story:

http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/j/ap/13c1e0fb-db4e-4c48-b62e-7cc1d56fea35.component.jpg

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28278572/

she wasn't even supposed to be before the judge that day, weird

Partial Qualifier
12/22/2008, 04:56 PM
I don't think that picture I posted had anything to do with the woman in the story. It was just a woman in a head scarf, and it was funny. At least to me.

Glad you thought it was funny, Jed.

I thought it was poor taste. I'd expect better from you, frankly.

Veritas
12/22/2008, 09:40 PM
Take your ****ing headscarf off or go to another country that gives a ****.

Okla-homey
12/22/2008, 11:11 PM
Someone needs to tell this yainch that "neutral laws of general applicability" (that's court-speak for laws that apply to everyone and that don't single out any organized religious group) have been repeatedly upheld by SCOTUS.

IOW, if no one is allowed to cover their head in court, she doesn't get a pass because her religion forbids her from uncovering her head. Her choice is simple, uncover, or stay TFO of the courthouse.

Frozen Sooner
12/22/2008, 11:24 PM
Someone needs to tell this yainch that "neutral laws of general applicability" (that's court-speak for laws that apply to everyone and that don't single out any organized religious group) have been repeatedly upheld by SCOTUS.

IOW, if no one is allowed to cover their head in court, she doesn't get a pass because her religion forbids her from uncovering her head. Her choice is simple, uncover, or stay TFO of the courthouse.

Yeah, my thought is that Everson is applicable here.

BigRedJed
12/23/2008, 12:40 PM
:les: THE LADY HAD A TINY HEAD AT THE BOTTOM OF THE MUGSHOT!!! HILARIOUS!!