PDA

View Full Version : Florida playmakers PER GAME!

The Maestro
12/18/2008, 05:49 PM
Okay, I got sick of seeing Joe Bob Speed Demon averages 8.7345 yards per carry crap so I went and did some research. Let's start with the Florida running attack.

Not sure what I think. They average 230 yards a game on the ground and that is to be commended. They have five backs that average at least 43 yards a game, but no one averages more than 50.4. Is that a good thing for balance or just the fact no one is dominant? Not sure what I think.

Rainey - 50.4 yards per game - 655 yards total - 75 yards was his longest run - 4 whole TD's this year

Demps - 44.8 yards per game - 582 yards - 62 was his longest run - 7 TD's this year

Tebow - 43.4 yards per game - 564 yards - 26 was his longest run - 12 TD's this year

Harvin - 48.9 yards per game - 538 yards - 80 was his longest run - 9 TD's this year

Moody - 46.3 yards per game - 417 yards - 40 was his longest run - 1 TD

What stands out to me is the question of balance or no one standing out...not sure what I think. I do know that everyone but Tebow has over 10 percent of their total season yards on one freaking carry. I went back and looked at game by game stats and it is INCREASINGLY apparent that Florida relies on big plays to rack up points.

In my opinion, if OU scores over 30, Florida better have at least four or five really big plays, be it offense or defense. Harvin's numbers are ALL big plays, rushing and receiving...rarely did he have a game where he just got it all little by little. The other guys? Their leading rusher, Rainey, got almost 25% of his season total against THE CITADEL! Moody racked up 116 against THE CITADEL and only rushed for 417 total! Demps had 103 vs. Arkansas and 129 vs. LSU. Sorry, gaytor fans...those teams suck this year. That means around 40% of his season total in two games against bad teams.

Florida only has three receivers with more than 20 catches on the year. Harvin had a couple of huge bombs for TD's that led to his 595 yards receiving this year...seriously like 20% of his season total yards in two plays.

Florida does have balance and they have big strike capability. My point is, if they don't get it, they will not win. Against Miami it was 9-3 Gators heading to the 4th. Florida ran the ball 27 times that game for 89 yards. 39 carries for 147 yards against Tennessee. Hell, only 142 yards on 42 carries against Alabama. OU can live with that.

Surely Florida knows they need to at least be in the 30's to win. I dare them to say otherwise. They are used to games with not near as many plays as we will bring on them. And without the big strike, the Sooners should win...and win with ease, in my completely biased opinion.

BUT THEY ARE FAST, SPEEDY and FRESH!!!:eek:

AgriGator
12/18/2008, 06:01 PM
If Harvin is 95% healthy, then you guys are in for a treat. There is nobody like him in college football, period. The other backs are fast but don't have that combination of speed, power, balance and elusiveness that he has. He is a competitor as well and always finishes his runs. Calculate his yards per touches and touchdowns per touches. It makes me smile. I hope he can get 15-20 touches in this game.

Knippz
12/18/2008, 06:02 PM
Sounds like a pretty balanced attack. Something I think we'll have next year when a couple of certain redshirts come off.

Good rushing attack. Better than I thought. I'll give credit where credit's due.

Though this makes me feel much better about the game if we sell out to stop the run. :D

JLEW1818
12/18/2008, 06:03 PM
Where was he against Ole miss, he had a hell of a game and yall still lost.

Curly Bill
12/18/2008, 06:05 PM
Harvin's a fantastic player, but to act like he's one of a kind, or that we've never seen anyone like him is over the top foolishness.

catsigater
12/18/2008, 06:07 PM
Sounds like a pretty balanced attack. Something I think we'll have next year when a couple of certain redshirts come off.

Good rushing attack. Better than I thought. I'll give credit where credit's due.

Though this makes me feel much better about the game if we sell out to stop the run. :D

I know Tebow doesn't get much respect as a passer around here, but if you sell out to stop the run, he'll eat you alive.

You have to pray you can stop the run without selling out - something I don't think you'll do. Just like we have to pray we can slow down (not stop) your passing attack, without selling out.

catsigater
12/18/2008, 06:08 PM
Harvin's a fantastic player, but to act like he's one of a kind, or that we've never seen anyone like him is over the top foolishness.

Something else we've heard all year.

OklahomaTuba
12/18/2008, 06:10 PM
There is nobody like him in college football, period.
He isn't any better than Maclin or Dez Bryant.

In fact, those two are BETTER!!

Curly Bill
12/18/2008, 06:13 PM
He isn't any better than Maclin or Dez Bryant.

In fact, those two are BETTER!!

...as is Crabtree.

Curly Bill
12/18/2008, 06:14 PM
Something else we've heard all year.

...and yet you fools don't see it, guess that's cause he's so fast you can't see him with the naked eye. :rolleyes:

JLEW1818
12/18/2008, 06:15 PM
Did Harvin really beat Usain Bolt in the 100????? blah

Curly Bill
12/18/2008, 06:16 PM
Did Harvin really beat Usain Bolt in the 100????? blah

Pay attention! Half the FL team beat Bolt in the 100. ;)

hntrboomer
12/18/2008, 06:16 PM
Where was he against Ole miss, he had a hell of a game and yall still lost.Texas dumbf%@k

BigRedJed
12/18/2008, 06:29 PM
Have a nice day.

The Maestro
12/18/2008, 06:30 PM
I hope he can get 15-20 touches in this game.

Well, it would be the first time all season anyone not named Tebow was in on that many plays. It won't happen. I am starting to think Meyer is more concerned with balance than using your best weapons over and over.

Looking at your stats makes me believe your defense is pretty good, cause your offensive numbers aren't that sexy. Which leads me right back to saying, you better keep OU under 30...you know, HALF of what they have scored in the last 6 games (excuse me for adding K-State in that mix since 55 at half and did nothing to score in the 2nd half).

Anyone care to help me understand why against Ole Miss your two leading rushers on the season combined for 4 carries and 9 yards rushing?

Seriously, though...I wonder why you guys are so nuts about Harvin...not to say he isn't talented and the best weapon you have, but he had plenty of games where he did very little. As far as this claim of him being "like anything we have ever seen"...seriously, if Florida players believe the same thing, I honestly feel like we will crush you guys.

instigator
12/18/2008, 06:30 PM
Interesting stats and nice read. I haven't watched them enough to have an opinion, but I do know that we can score tons and do it with dink and dunk stuff. We have some big plays, but Sam is a monster at picking up 7 yards at a time all the way down the field.

JLEW1818
12/18/2008, 06:31 PM
Texas dumbf%@k

what

The Maestro
12/18/2008, 06:39 PM
Interesting stats and nice read. I haven't watched them enough to have an opinion, but I do know that we can score tons and do it with dink and dunk stuff. We have some big plays, but Sam is a monster at picking up 7 yards at a time all the way down the field.

Which I why I really like us to wear them down. Florida stats...crazy, man. It seems the large majority of their scoring is big plays. Kudos to them, but I like Sam having the option of Chris and Mossis, as well a few guys to throw to--JI, Manny, Jermaine, Mossis, Chris, Matt Clapp, Manny, Chaney.

Florida better get in his face.

Man, this game is huge (DUH!!). The SEC gawks for years to come (deservedly so if they win...) or OU is back where they belong and Stoops is the first to have what Lance Armstrong doesn't! TWO BALLS!

Three weeks from right now...pucker factor will be huge!

catsigater
12/18/2008, 06:52 PM
Which I why I really like us to wear them down.

Just what the last crimson-clad team we faced said.

Three weeks from right now...pucker factor will be huge!

You got that right. How many players will OU have at the game from their last championship team?

Intangibles, baby.

Sooner13
12/18/2008, 06:59 PM

tOSU is more of a scarlet....just sayin

Harry Beanbag
12/18/2008, 06:59 PM

The one with John Parker Wilson?

BigRedJed
12/18/2008, 07:00 PM
tOSU is more of a scarlet....just sayin
He's talking about 'bama.

BigRedJed
12/18/2008, 07:02 PM
HEISMOWNED!!

catsigater
12/18/2008, 07:04 PM

Exactly, the team we toppled from their #1 ranking.

NEXT!

tulsaoilerfan
12/18/2008, 07:05 PM

You got that right. How many players will OU have at the game from their last championship team?

Intangibles, baby.

For the last time, if you think we aren't any better on offense than Bama, then u, the players, and the coaching staff are going to get a serious education on Jan 8

tulsaoilerfan
12/18/2008, 07:06 PM

THE John Parker Wilson? the guy with the 9 TD passes on the year and QB rating of 123? He has to be awesome, cause, like, we beat them and all:rolleyes:

Sooner13
12/18/2008, 07:07 PM
He's talking about 'bama.

My apologies, I really should lay off the scotch...

Curly Bill
12/18/2008, 07:09 PM

Nah, remember: no one likes a quitter. ;)

catsigater
12/18/2008, 07:14 PM
For the last time, if you think we aren't any better on offense than Bama, then u, the players, and the coaching staff are going to get a serious education on Jan 8

I think you're way better on offense than bama. It's your smack that isn't any better.

They thought they'd wear us down with their more physical game, yet they had 1 yard total offense in the 4th, while we rammed it down their throats.

OU thinks they'll have us sucking wind with their up-tempo game. But we'll keep up just fine. We'll see who's in desperation mode in the fourth. I'm predicting it won't be UF, but I've no doubt it will take an entire 60 minutes to beat OU.

OU is by far the most formidable team we've faced this year.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/18/2008, 07:15 PM
the problem maestro is that like 60% of the yards we've given up on the season have been on big plays :(.

casti, do you regularly subscribe to revisionist history? i just watched your game again and bama DID wear you down. they had your D on the ropes with that 10 minute drive at the end of the 3rd. they gave up a TD to go down 4 and then their OC came out with his head up his rear and threw the ball 3 straight times. you scored after the punt, game over.

[fully expecting you to change the argument to how you wore down bama's d, which is true, but irrelevant to your point]

Harry Beanbag
12/18/2008, 07:16 PM

So should catisgater if he is seriously equating a John Parker Wilson led Bama offense with Sam Bradford and the Sooner offense of '08.

catsigater
12/18/2008, 07:18 PM
the problem maestro is that like 60% of the yards we've given up on the season have been on big plays :(.

casti, do you regularly subscribe to revisionist history? i just watched your game again and bama DID wear you down. they had your D on the ropes with that 10 minute drive at the end of the 3rd. they gave up a TD to go down 4 and then their OC came out with his head up his rear and threw the ball 3 straight times. you scored after the punt, game over.

[fully expecting you to change the argument to how you wore down bama's d, which is true, but irrelevant to your point]

And if the game were only 3 quarters long, you'd be right. But again... 1 yard of total offense in the fourth.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/18/2008, 07:30 PM
OH MY GOD. they are worse than the lsu fans

supes
12/18/2008, 07:33 PM
I'm amazed at how confident you sooner fans are about winning this game. You all are coming up with stats to justify your position. If you go by the stats, your team is going to beat the Colts in the Superbowl. But seriously, do you all really think because your offense has scored so many points against horrible defenses that it's going to score that many against a team so solid in all areas of the game? Amazing.

L-Boy
12/18/2008, 07:39 PM
I am surprised at this argument of the UF O is just a bunch of big plays. As if big plays are a bad thing and should be discounted. If you can get 5 yds, or you can get 50, seems to me you go with 50. Call me simple minded.

Gators have the second highest yds per play on offense, and OU isn't #1.

I don't see any evidence that OU can stop the big plays. TX and OSU put 45 on you, and I think UF has as much offense as those two, and more team speed.

If OU is to win, they will have to do it with 50 or 60 points, and I don't see the UF defense giving up that much.

Curly Bill
12/18/2008, 07:42 PM
I'm amazed at how confident you sooner fans are about winning this game. You all are coming up with stats to justify your position. If you go by the stats, your team is going to beat the Colts in the Superbowl. But seriously, do you all really think because your offense has scored so many points against horrible defenses that it's going to score that many against a team so solid in all areas of the game? Amazing.

Solid maybe, but do you guys have any speed on that team? ;) ;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

NYC Poke
12/18/2008, 07:48 PM
I don't see any evidence that OU can stop the big plays. TX and OSU put 45 on you, and I think UF has as much offense as those two, and more team speed.

And what makes you think . . . Nah, we've covered this already. :D

BTW, OSU scored 41, and one of those TDs was a kick return.

supes
12/18/2008, 07:49 PM
Solid maybe, but do you guys have any speed on that team? ;) ;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

we's got speed baby, we's got speed.;)

supes
12/18/2008, 07:51 PM
If we are talking special teams, ummm, Brandon James. speedy and shifty.

NYC Poke
12/18/2008, 07:54 PM
What makes you think the Sooners are going to punt? ;)

Curly Bill
12/18/2008, 07:57 PM

We won't have a chance to punt. florida is so fast they'll intercept the snap to the punter.

starclassic tama
12/18/2008, 07:58 PM
If Harvin is 95% healthy, then you guys are in for a treat. There is nobody like him in college football, period. The other backs are fast but don't have that combination of speed, power, balance and elusiveness that he has. He is a competitor as well and always finishes his runs. Calculate his yards per touches and touchdowns per touches. It makes me smile. I hope he can get 15-20 touches in this game.

jeremy maclin is a better player than harvin. chase daniel is also a better passer than tebow, and we didn't have a lot of trouble with either of those.

L-Boy
12/18/2008, 08:04 PM
We won't have a chance to punt. florida is so fast they'll intercept the snap to the punter.

Actually, that has almost happened a couple of times.:D

supes
12/18/2008, 08:05 PM
jeremy maclin is a better player than harvin. chase daniel is also a better passer than tebow, and we didn't have a lot of trouble with either of those.

please, you are talking about an over-rated Missouri team from the get go. Missouri only has those two players. You are comparing a fleet of sailboats (Missouri)to a fleet of destroyers (Florida)

starclassic tama
12/18/2008, 08:07 PM

NEXT!

yeah, we did that too, and our game wasn't even close.

delhalew
12/18/2008, 08:12 PM

that is barely a joke. I started laughing and thought..."oh yeah, we not do that till the second half".

supes
12/18/2008, 08:14 PM
oh, you will punt and you will punt often.

MarylandGator
12/18/2008, 08:16 PM
punting will be your strength.

BigRedJed
12/18/2008, 08:25 PM
MarylandGator, pretty much every post you have made to date qualifies as smack. Do you want to talk football? Please do. If you want smack talk, feel free to visit Smack Central (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10), one of our forums.

We're pretty tolerant of opposing team fans around here if they are actually trying to get along and carry on intelligent conversations. Confidence in your team is fine with us, too. But if you're just coming here to lip off or to rile up the locals, you won't be here long.

PalmBeachSooner
12/18/2008, 08:33 PM
I know Tebow doesn't get much respect as a passer around here, but if you sell out to stop the run, he'll eat you alive.

You have to pray you can stop the run without selling out - something I don't think you'll do. Just like we have to pray we can slow down (not stop) your passing attack, without selling out.

You sir, are absolutely correct. However, I am not praying.

soonerinabilene
12/18/2008, 08:37 PM

DO you really think because your defense played against the most boring, sluggish, impotent offenses the world of college football has ever seen they are capable of stopping the most prolific offense in the history of the game?

L-Boy
12/18/2008, 08:39 PM
MarylandGator, pretty much every post you have made to date qualifies as smack. Do you want to talk football? Please do. If you want smack talk, feel free to visit Smack Central (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10), one of our forums.

We're pretty tolerant of opposing team fans around here if they are actually trying to get along and carry on intelligent conversations. Confidence in your team is fine with us, too. But if you're just coming here to lip off or to rile up the locals, you won't be here long.

I understand its your sand box and you make the rules, but that is pretty tame stuff in terms of "smack". Just my opinion.

Curly Bill
12/18/2008, 08:40 PM
I understand its your sand box and you make the rules, but that is pretty lame stuff in terms of "smack". Just my opinion.

FIXED

BigRedJed
12/18/2008, 08:44 PM
I understand its your sand box and you make the rules, but that is pretty tame stuff in terms of "smack". Just my opinion.
I agree. It's more of a body of work thing for him. He's made 13 posts, and nearly every single one of them has been that type of post. Earlier a Gator fan was on here attacking posters and using profanity; he didn't get a warning.

MarylandGator sent me a PM saying he's just got a dry, sarcastic sense of humor and wasn't really intending to be crappy to folks. He also said he would work on being a little more engaging with everyone. If he really does that, I imagine he'll be treated well here. I can't guarantee he won't be negged to Bolivia, but he probably won't be banned either.

L-Boy
12/18/2008, 09:14 PM
I agree. It's more of a body of work thing for him. He's made 13 posts, and nearly every single one of them has been that type of post. Earlier a Gator fan was on here attacking posters and using profanity; he didn't get a warning.

MarylandGator sent me a PM saying he's just got a dry, sarcastic sense of humor and wasn't really intending to be crappy to folks. He also said he would work on being a little more engaging with everyone. If he really does that, I imagine he'll be treated well here. I can't guarantee he won't be negged to Bolivia, but he probably won't be banned either.

From years of posting with him, I will agree that MD can be mildly annoying;) but he is harmless. He's not the flaming type (make what you will of that last statement :D )

supes
12/18/2008, 09:17 PM
DO you really think because your defense played against the most boring, sluggish, impotent offenses the world of college football has ever seen they are capable of stopping the most prolific offense in the history of the game?

the only reason it is the most prolific offense is because it played the worst defenses. TCU held your team to 35 points. If you don't think Florida has a better defense than TCU, then you are nuts. And you act like Florida has no offense and can't score at will. We destroyed all the top defenses this year. Your team faced one, count it, one, decent defense all year.

L-Boy
12/18/2008, 09:20 PM
I agree. It's more of a body of work thing for him. He's made 13 posts, and nearly every single one of them has been that type of post.

One more thing, He has about 27000 posts on Gatorboards, and about 26,998 have been that kind of post there too. :D

BigRedJed
12/18/2008, 09:25 PM
the only reason it is the most prolific offense is because it played the worst defenses. TCU held your team to 35 points. If you don't think Florida has a better defense than TCU, then you are nuts. And you act like Florida has no offense and can't score at will. We destroyed all the top defenses this year. Your team faced one, count it, one, decent defense all year.
For real? The TCU game was in September. OU's run game had not gelled much at all at that point. I'm willing to concede that UF is a different team than the one that lost to unranked Ole Miss, IN YOUR HOUSE. You should be willing to concede that the OU offense might be improved from the one that ONLY put up 35 points on someone in September.

MarylandGator
12/18/2008, 09:30 PM
For real? The TCU game was in September. OU's run game had not gelled much at all at that point. I'm willing to concede that UF is a different team than the one that lost to unranked Ole Miss, IN YOUR HOUSE. You should be willing to concede that the OU offense might be improved from the one that ONLY put up 35 points on someone in September.what about the disparity in defensive rankings of opponents? this cannot be dismissed as throw away gibberish. there is a real and material difference between the types of defensive each team has played.

BigRedJed
12/18/2008, 09:32 PM
BTW, all of the talk I'm hearing about "slowing down Sam" or getting in his face, or whatever ignores the OU running game, which has become pretty amazing in and of itself, Murray's injury notwithstanding. So, you slow Sam and his receivers down and what? Does that mean he only throws for 250 or so? In that case there is a pretty good chance the run game will go for 250+. Seriously, pick your poison.

BigRedJed
12/18/2008, 09:35 PM
what about the disparity in defensive rankings of opponents? this cannot be dismissed as throw away gibberish. there is a real and material difference between the types of defensive each team has played.
Dude, you can make stats read however you want them to read. Big 12 defenses looked on paper much worse than they really were because they faced some unbelievable offenses all year. SEC defenses looked really, really good because they faced a bunch of dud offenses in conference. See how that works?

Curly Bill
12/18/2008, 09:41 PM
Dude, you can make stats read however you want them to read. Big 12 defenses looked on paper much worse than they really were because they faced some unbelievable offenses all year. SEC defenses looked really, really good because they faced a bunch of dud offenses in conference. See how that works?

I'm willing to go out on a limb here and say that he honest to God does not see how that works. :D

tulsaoilerfan
12/18/2008, 09:41 PM

Nope, they don't have a clue:D

supes
12/18/2008, 09:44 PM
For real? The TCU game was in September. OU's run game had not gelled much at all at that point. I'm willing to concede that UF is a different team than the one that lost to unranked Ole Miss, IN YOUR HOUSE. You should be willing to concede that the OU offense might be improved from the one that ONLY put up 35 points on someone in September.

I'll concede that OUs offense is better than it was in September but so is our defense. You act like losing a game by 1 point to a team that turned out to be pretty decent was all that bad. Almost half of all our turnovers this year happened in that game. But to think OU is going to put up 40 or more on UF is a joke. Our defense is very aggressive and exploits a teams weaknesses. We don't have the most sacks in the world but the pressure is enough to make other offenses make mistakes. We don't give up much in way of offense. And you can't say that UFs offense doesn't worry you. Your team has to stop us. That's a difficult task.

AlbqSooner
12/18/2008, 09:52 PM
I'm willing to go out on a limb here and say that he honest to God does not see how that works. :D

Give him a few weeks. He will.:D

BigRedJed
12/18/2008, 09:57 PM
I'll concede that OUs offense is better than it was in September but so is our defense. You act like losing a game by 1 point to a team that turned out to be pretty decent was all that bad. Almost half of all our turnovers this year happened in that game. But to think OU is going to put up 40 or more on UF is a joke. Our defense is very aggressive and exploits a teams weaknesses. We don't have the most sacks in the world but the pressure is enough to make other offenses make mistakes. We don't give up much in way of offense. And you can't say that UFs offense doesn't worry you. Your team has to stop us. That's a difficult task.
No, I never said it was "all that bad." Heck, that loss undoubtedly looks better with the benefit of hindsight. But it's still a loss. An example of vulnerablity. Just like Oklahoma has, sure. Although Oklahoma's loss was to a far better team, under far different circumstances.

I never said OU was going to put up 40. I wouldn't be shocked, but I also wouldn't be shocked if they did not. You people all act like Florida is unstoppable on offense, and I think that is FAR from the truth. You also seem to think the OU defense sucks, and I believe that is ALSO far from the truth. All I care about is scoring one more than the Gators. And I think OU has it in the tank to get that one additional point. And I also think OU's offense will probably end up having a lot to do with that.

Frankly, it reminds me a lot of all of the "team speed" and "never did play anybody" jibber jabber I heard in Florida before the 2000 MNC game. Fine with me.

soonerinabilene
12/18/2008, 09:59 PM

And if that applies to us as far as the defenses we faced, should it not apply to you and the offenses you faced, as BRJ said a few posts earlier?

supes
12/18/2008, 10:10 PM
No, I never said it was "all that bad." Heck, that loss undoubtedly looks better with the benefit of hindsight. But it's still a loss. An example of vulnerablity. Just like Oklahoma has, sure. Although Oklahoma's loss was to a far better team, under far different circumstances.

I never said OU was going to put up 40. I wouldn't be shocked, but I also wouldn't be shocked if they did not. You people all act like Florida is unstoppable on offense, and I think that is FAR from the truth. You also seem to think the OU defense sucks, and I believe that is ALSO far from the truth. All I care about is scoring one more than the Gators. And I think OU has it in the tank to get that one additional point. And I also think OU's offense will probably end up having a lot to do with that.

Frankly, it reminds me a lot of all of the "team speed" and "never did play anybody" jibber jabber I heard in Florida before the 2000 MNC game. Fine with me.
BUt see, you all act like your offense is unstoppable. It works both ways here as well. You also act like Texas is all that much better than Ole Miss. You can't say that either since they don't play each other. I don't think your defense can stop us. Period. I think our defense Will stop your offense no matter how many points they put up this year. I think it's ridiculous to say that your team is going to win because they scored more points this year than anyone else in the history of the game. And don't say that isn't one of your arguments because every 2 seconds someone says something about prolific offense or high scoring...blah blah blah. Big deal.

Curly Bill
12/18/2008, 10:12 PM
BUt see, you all act like your offense is unstoppable. It works both ways here as well. You also act like Texas is all that much better than Ole Miss. You can't say that either since they don't play each other. I don't think your defense can stop us. Period. I think our defense Will stop your offense no matter how many points they put up this year. I think it's ridiculous to say that your team is going to win because they scored more points this year than anyone else in the history of the game. And don't say that isn't one of your arguments because every 2 seconds someone says something about prolific offense or high scoring...blah blah blah. Big deal.

So tell us how fast and talented you guys are...because we haven't heard that enough yet. :rolleyes:

BigRedJed
12/18/2008, 10:21 PM
Well, I guess that's why they play the game. Same thing I told FSU fans in Key West on New Year's Eve, eight years ago.

As for Texas/Ole Miss, most of America seemed to think Texas belonged in the national championship game a couple of weeks ago. I don't remember hearing that about Ole Miss.

L-Boy
12/18/2008, 10:32 PM

I think you have done a good job of taking an argument and turning it on its head. Does it really make sense that the Big 12 has SOOO much better offenses than everybody else. Granted, I will give you there are some good offenses - but I just don't buy they are so superior. Its quite likely it has something to do with the defenses lining up the other way.

At the end of the day, these arguments can go back and forth all day long when you are dealing with 2 teams from different conferences. I just look back to:

1. Ohio State was saying the same things two years ago
2. OU has a history putting up some impressive numbers against marginal defenses in the regular season and then laying eggs in the big games.

My bet is history repeats itself.

rainiersooner
12/18/2008, 10:53 PM
Pay attention! Half the FL team beat Bolt in the 100. ;)

I thought Bolt played for Florida! :eek:

Curly Bill
12/18/2008, 11:00 PM

Nah, he's too slow for 'em.

catsigater
12/18/2008, 11:01 PM

He didn't have any football speed.

G8trGr8t
12/18/2008, 11:17 PM
http://blip.tv/file/1585572/

Freshmen Demps, Rainey, Hill, Jenkins,

http://coedmagazine.com/sports/collegiate/47461/

Cheerleaders of the BCS

Olle Miss- 3 fumbles lost - problems at left guard, Tarrt went out with bad shoulder, Gilbert stunk up the place. Has been fixed and now left guard is a strength. Tebow efficiency since Ole Miss 195

starclassic tama
12/19/2008, 12:18 AM
You also act like Texas is all that much better than Ole Miss. You can't say that either since they don't play each other.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHA

Scott D
12/19/2008, 12:26 AM
THE John Parker Wilson? the guy with the 9 TD passes on the year and QB rating of 123? He has to be awesome, cause, like, we beat them and all:rolleyes:

you know The John Parker Wilson that everyone had being beaten out by super star dual threat freshman Star Jackson that didn't take a single snap this season. That John Parker Wilson.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/19/2008, 12:38 AM
BUt see, you all act like your offense is unstoppable. It works both ways here as well.

no we are exasperated because you accuse us of saying our offense is unstoppable and then you....

I don't think your defense can stop us. Period.

STATE THE EXACT SAME THING!!!!

i have never, ever seen a fanbase who talks out of both sides of your mouth like yours does.

as for ole miss, **cough** cotton bowl **cough** as i've stated 50 times before, i have no idea whether sec offenses suck or big 12 defenses do. however, if texas tech runs ole miss out of that stadium...

Crucifax Autumn
12/19/2008, 12:48 AM
http://coedmagazine.com/sports/collegiate/47461/

Some of the Florida girls are hot...but about as trashy and slutty as they come. I see chicks that look just like that leaning in car windows all over the place out here.

Crucifax Autumn
12/19/2008, 12:49 AM
i have never, ever seen a fanbase who talks out of both sides of your *** like yours does.

Fixed

shaun4411
12/19/2008, 12:50 AM
this is the first time in history an offense has been this prolific. however, this is NOT the first time in history a team has played a schedule featuring some marginal defenses. marginal defenses are everywhere. yet nobody has done THIS before. that speaks volumes of the ou offensive juggernaut.

shaun4411
12/19/2008, 12:55 AM
another thing: their all world athlete harvin.. he isnt in the top 100 in the ncaa in rushing or receiving this year. i dont know why they tout him so hard. if his talent is so great (and im not denying), why isnt it being shown on the field? or is everyone just sucking up to his potential?

catsigater
12/19/2008, 01:04 AM
this is the first time in history an offense has been this prolific. however, this is NOT the first time in history a team has played a schedule featuring some marginal defenses. marginal defenses are everywhere. yet nobody has done THIS before. that speaks volumes of the ou offensive juggernaut.

Yeah, I have to grant some credence to that. I've watched OU a few times and they're the real deal. The perception the Big 12 doesn't play sound defense has merit, but there's no doubt Bradford is one cool customer and can pick apart a secondary like no one's business.

If they can do to UF what they've done in the Big 12, they'll be right up there with the team that shall not be named (winners of the 1996 Fiasco Bowl.)

I don't think they can, mind you; but if I were an OU fan, I'd be feeling pretty confident.

catsigater
12/19/2008, 01:05 AM
another thing: their all world athlete harvin.. he isnt in the top 100 in the ncaa in rushing or receiving this year. i dont know why they tout him so hard. if his talent is so great (and im not denying), why isnt it being shown on the field? or is everyone just sucking up to his potential?

Watch the game, then let us know what you think. I know this has been beat to death, but it's true: We have so much offensive firepower, one guys just not going to get enough touches to get those jaw dropping stats. At least not this year, since our OC finally decided to open things up.

shaun4411
12/19/2008, 01:17 AM
Watch the game, then let us know what you think. I know this has been beat to death, but it's true: We have so much offensive firepower, one guys just not going to get enough touches to get those jaw dropping stats. At least not this year, since our OC finally decided to open things up.

hey, waht matters the most is the W in teh win column. both florida and oklahoma have put together a season to get them where they are now. you do realize that the ou offense does manager to get their best playmakers the ball enough to get big stats. i.e. the #1 and #2 rb each has over 1000 yards, the #3 rb has 463 on an offense that still put over 4600 yards in the air. its just too difficult to play down what the offense has done.

i just dont know waht you see in the florida defense that makes you think ou lacks the ability to put up 40 on them. i mean, mississippi put up 31 in gainsville right? i promise your DC isnt thinking that way. its going to be FUN to watch, no doubt. i think both teams are going to put up points. there will come a point in the game where both defenses will realize how difficult it will be to stop the other offense. it just may turn out to be a shootout. and while you may not agree, this plays into ou's favor. their conditioning and consistent ability to score score score without letting up is just another day at the office. its easier to wear a defense down than it is to wear an offense down.

Crucifax Autumn
12/19/2008, 01:33 AM

OUrs too...that's why the entire offense has jawdropping numbers.

catsigater
12/19/2008, 01:35 AM
while you may not agree, this plays into ou's favor. their conditioning and consistent ability to score score score without letting up is just another day at the office. its easier to wear a defense down than it is to wear an offense down.

Actually, I do agree that a shootout plays into OU's favor. I think we still have a good chance to win in a shootout, but I'm also of the mind that if neither team gets to 40, that favors UF.

UF will score on OU's D. Of that, I'm certain. I think everyone agrees the matchup is OU's offense against UF's D. UF cannot afford to let Bradford go unpressured all day. And if they can get some hurries, knockdowns and an occasional sack from the front 4, (an admittedly tall order) our chances of winning are good.

It may come down to special teams and turnovers. I don't see either QB throwing a lot of picks, so fumbles and missed assignments in the kicking game could be crucial. We've done well in those areas, and we've got players who played this game 2 years ago, so I feel good about our ability to protect the ball and hopefully get a blocked punt or return for a TD.

no1g8r
12/19/2008, 01:47 AM
i just dont know waht you see in the florida defense that makes you think ou lacks the ability to put up 40 on them.

I think that OU has the ABILITY to put 40 up on Florida if they play as badly against OU as they did in ONE aberration game against Ole Miss where Florida uncharacteristically fumbled the ball away 3 times in the second half, in or near the red zone, twice with no pressure. It's an aberration because Florida has only lost fumbles 5 other times all year.

Toss out that aberration and Florida has only given up 10.5 points per game on average. Most of that in garbage time.

If you assume that the first half is a team going full-bore (Meyer put in scrubs in the 3rd or very early 4th quarter in most games), the first half is a decent barometer of a team's ability. Florida's defense only allowed 51 first half points ALL season. That's an average of less than 4 first half points per game.

I know, I know, Florida hasn't played a team with a collegiate-level offense, in the eyes of OU fans. And I'll readily admit that Florida hasn't played an offense that is as prolific as OU's. But you asked why some Florida fans don't think that OU WILL score 40 points against UF. Right or wrong, that's the answer I set out to provide.

Crucifax Autumn
12/19/2008, 01:49 AM
no1g8r

Greatest name ever...you may not be the first no one gator to slip through here, but you're the most honest!

shaun4411
12/19/2008, 01:53 AM
hell, ou pretty much averages 40 points in the first half. has florida played an offense that averages 40 points per game?

what it seems to come down to is the unknown is how the ou juggernaut offense performing against the juggernaut florida defense. florida doesnet like giving up points, ou offense is a point making machine.

no1g8r
12/19/2008, 02:06 AM
hell, ou pretty much averages 40 points in the first half. has florida played an offense that averages 40 points per game?

what it seems to come down to is the unknown is how the ou juggernaut offense performing against the juggernaut florida defense. florida doesnet like giving up points, ou offense is a point making machine.

No, but Florida played 5 teams that averaged in the 30's, but still managed to hold their scores down well below their averages.

I agree about the unknown, but there are really unknowns on both sides of the ball, all of the time.

OU offense vs UF defense - who knows?
UF offense vs OU defense - who knows?

Florida is VERY capable of putting up points. There comes a point in the game where a coach knows that he can safely call off the dogs and put the scrubs in. Florida's average margin of victory is 32.4 points, OU's is 29.5 points. Florida arrived at the "safe" point in games earlier because the defense just wasn't giving up points. Had Florida had to worry about the other team mounting a huge comeback, they would have needed to hold the pedal down a bit longer, which would have given them more OU-like scores.

Florida scored 3.5 times as many points as they allowed. OU scored 2.2 times as many points as they allowed. That's a pretty big difference.

Still, I'm with you. Given the absence of common opponents, and the difficulty in determining if there were even similar opponents to compare, it's pretty much a complete unknown. This is bowl season at it's finest. It's why all of America is looking forward to this game.

It's really a great time to be either a Gator OR a Sooner!

Crucifax Autumn
12/19/2008, 02:10 AM
And if OU woulda played something besides runs in the second half of the first five or so games we'd have averaged 75 points or more a game on the year.

We let off the gas early in all but 1 game before the last several.

no1g8r
12/19/2008, 02:20 AM
And if OU woulda played something besides runs in the second half of the first five or so games we'd have averaged 75 points or more a game on the year.

Yup, I agree that OU could have put up even bigger numbers if they had chosen to do so. But that wasn't the point of my statement. I was saying that Florida could have put up OU-like numbers if they had chosen to do so. But the Florida games didn't call for needing as many points "for comfort" as the OU games did, because the Florida defense was stifling their opponents from the outset.

OU allowed only a respectable 132 first half points all season, a tad over 10 first half points per game. As I mentioned before, Florida allowed only a stifling 51 first half points all season, less than 4 first half points per game.

It's easy for a coach to feel comfortable enough to call off the dogs with less points in his column when the defense is completely shutting down their opponent.

I'm not saying that UF will completely shut down OU. But there's plenty of reason to believe that UF can hold OU to less than 40. I believe that there's more reason to believe that than there is to believe that OU will hold UF to less than 40. But that's just my opinion, one that I'm sure you won't agree with. We can agree to disagree - thanks for being open enough to exchange opinions.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/19/2008, 02:21 AM
It may come down to special teams and turnovers. I don't see either QB throwing a lot of picks, so fumbles and missed assignments in the kicking game could be crucial. We've done well in those areas, and we've got players who played this game 2 years ago, so I feel good about our ability to protect the ball and hopefully get a blocked punt or return for a TD.

most championship level games come down to 3 things - emotion, turnovers and special teams. i know we've been on both sides of the equation in this decade (more often on the negative side, saddenly)

2000 OB - our special teams dominated that game. oh, for an ontei jones in this game.

2002 RB - wazzou turned it over, we didn't

2003 SB - we threw a pick 6 and had an away from the ball penatly on an INT on one of LSU's other scoring drives. we still were 1st and goal from the 4 with a chance to tie it late when our OC experienced cranial rectal inversion.

2004 OB - we were with USC until mark bradley made one of the worst plays since chris webber calling timeout. panic set in and we turned the ball over the next 2 series as well giving USC 28 points in the span of 6 minutes.

2006 FB - we came out flat and killed ourselves with penalties. we made a heck of a comeback (18 points down) on boise state before losing at the end

2007 FB - once again we come out flat, trailing 20-6 at halftime. penalties and their undersized line just killed us in the first half. in the second half we come out in power O and cut it to 20-15. then it got weird. 2 point conversion? onside kick? yeah. stoops gambled when he didn't need too. they got the ball at our 40 and we fell apart. i'm not sure how many penalties we had in that game but i swear every drive we started 1st and 15 or 1st and 20.

so i've watched far less talented OU teams (2000) beat teams that were as talented as this florida team is. that OU defense was mostly no names, a couple of borderline NFL draft picks (strait, calmus) and one 1st round defensive back who wouldn't even start for your team this year (roy williams).

i've also watched some pretty good OU defenses just lay an egg in bowl games as well (that 2004 defense that got lit up by USC had something like 8 1st day picks on it, the 2003 had several more 1st rounders on it and they got chewed up by kstate in the big12 championship game).

so this is why we play the games and don't go off of stats. you never know what can happen on gameday.

Crucifax Autumn
12/19/2008, 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucifax Autumn

Yup, I agree that OU could have put up even bigger numbers if they had chosen to do so. But that wasn't the point of my statement. I was saying that Florida could have put up OU-like numbers if they had chosen to do so. But the Florida games didn't call for needing as many points "for comfort" as the OU games did, because the Florida defense was stifling their opponents from the outset.

Don't take this wrong, but that first paragraph is retarded as a response to what I said. You guys coulda put up OUr kinda numbers if you'd wanted to and we coulda put up another 20 a game if we wanted to?????

So, if we had both poured on all we wanted we'd still have scored at least 20 more a game than you guys?

How does that further your "Florida is an offensive powerhouse just like OU" argument?

OU allowed only a respectable 132 first half points all season, a tad over 10 first half points per game. As I mentioned before, Florida allowed only a stifling 51 first half points all season, less than 4 first half points per game.

And OU was pushing 50 in most of their games in the first half, so we could just as reasonably "call off the dogs" which is exactly what we did. 3rd string back left...2nd string back right...2nd string back left...3rd string back up the middle and so on and so on.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/19/2008, 02:31 AM

and this is where not watching the games hurts you when you try to compare stats. our defense in the first half hasn't been that bad - its been our stupid kickoff coverage. up until the last 2 games, we were talking about it being better for us to just kick the ball out of bounds every time. i'd guess 50-60 points were scored when our opponent returned the ball to the 50 or farther.

the last 2 games its been marginal (we've kept guys within the 30 most of the time).

no1g8r
12/19/2008, 02:35 AM
Don't take this wrong, but that first paragraph is retarded as a response to what I said. You guys coulda put up OUr kinda numbers if you'd wanted to and we coulda put up another 20 a game if we wanted to?????

So, if we had both poured on all we wanted we'd still have scored at least 20 more a game than you guys?

How does that further your "Florida is an offensive powerhouse just like OU" argument?

No offense taken, but it isn't "retarded" either. See, there seems to be a misconception about the offensive point differential between OU and UF. See, OU only put up 8.8 more points per game than UF did. OU averaged 54.0 ppg, UF averaged 45.2 ppg. I believe that UF played defenses that were at least slightly better than those that OU played (but that's another one of those pesky unknowns).

I'm only making the case that not only is this game about the "OU juggernaut offense" vs. the "UF juggernaut defense", as you stated, but also about the UF juggernaut offense vs. the OU "how good are they, really" defense.

no1g8r
12/19/2008, 02:40 AM
and this is where not watching the games hurts you when you try to compare stats. our defense in the first half hasn't been that bad - its been our stupid kickoff coverage. up until the last 2 games, we were talking about it being better for us to just kick the ball out of bounds every time. i'd guess 50-60 points were scored when our opponent returned the ball to the 50 or farther.

the last 2 games its been marginal (we've kept guys within the 30 most of the time).

Fair point. I guess I should really just refer to it as "team scoring" and "team allowing" instead of offense and defense. Because in all honesty, the special teams and defense for Florida have scored a significant number of points for UF this year, as well as placing that ball inside the opponent's 10 yard line on several occasions this year.

And it doesn't really matter how the points are scored, it's how many end up in your column on the scoreboard. Florida is playing great TEAM football in just about all facets of the game. KO coverage has been the closest thing to a sore spot for UF, and it hasn't really been all that bad in the grand scheme of things.

soonerboomer93
12/19/2008, 02:45 AM

this whole punting thing confuses me?

is that what the other teams does to give us the ball back so we can score again????

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Crucifax Autumn
12/19/2008, 02:55 AM
I'm only making the case that not only is this game about the "OU juggernaut offense" vs. the "UF juggernaut defense", as you stated, but also about the UF juggernaut offense vs. the OU "how good are they, really" defense.

We'll give up points. We'll give up yards.

And just when you think "ok, here we go" we'll pop the ball out of one of your guys' hands ar step in front of what shoulda been a safe pass.

And as the game goes on it will be lather, rinse, repeat until you notice that we're up by several scores and Tebow will have to take the game in his own hands. This time though, he'll get popped in the mouth if he tries to run and he'll either have no one open or think he does and again...lather, rinse, repeat.

And then the more desperate jesus gets, the more he'll try to force things and it will get ugly. We've seen this already this year and we'll be seeing it once more.

OU_Sooners75
12/19/2008, 03:35 AM

NEXT!

So I take it that you are a KState Wildcat fan moreso than a Gator fan.

Florida better pray like hell that their complex about thinking OU's defense and offense is not all that is actually true, or the outcome will be looking very familar to Florida fans that were around in 1996.

One question:

People are talking about how fast Florida is. Well, if that is true, care to explain why Michigan last year and Ole Miss this year was the faster teams?

Both those teams do not have the speed or talent of Oklahoma.

All_Day_28
12/19/2008, 04:29 AM

And just when you think "ok, here we go" we'll pop the ball out of one of your guys' hands ar step in front of what shoulda been a safe pass.

And as the game goes on it will be lather, rinse, repeat until you notice that we're up by several scores and Tebow will have to take the game in his own hands. This time though, he'll get popped in the mouth if he tries to run and he'll either have no one open or think he does and again...lather, rinse, repeat.

And then the more desperate jesus gets, the more he'll try to force things and it will get ugly. We've seen this already this year and we'll be seeing it once more.

DING DING DING!!!! WE HAVE A WINNER...

East Coast Bias
12/19/2008, 08:22 AM
I agree with JMK on the Bama game. Alabama was truly wearing down the defense and had them gasping for air running the ball, then suddenly they went strictly to the pass( 3-straight incompletes) . And the game turned on those strategies as games often do. Oklahoma with their line has a big opportunity to run the ball on the Gators, with their justifiable panic over the pass. I believe UF's defense will slow OU, but Bradford's relently picking away at gaps in the flats will break some big plays that will turn the game. If OU can get some quality stops (maybe 3-4) they will break the Gator spirit......

NawlensGator
12/19/2008, 08:58 AM
One peculiar thing I noticed about the Gator offense is it morphed after the OlPiss game. In the stretch from the Mich bowl game last year, up to and including the OlPiss game, it was the Tebow/Harvin show. After OlPiss, Demps and RainMan starting getting carries and Tebow also ran more. It was like a night and day difference in the offensive production. Might be worth taking this into consideration when trying to gain some insight by looking at game stats.

I think Gators win handily, but I also felt the same way before the '96 Fiesta 'Huskers on Roids' game. Talk about a hornets nest!! Osborne didn't need to bail Lawrence Phillips out of jail to win that game. I think Fazier was saying things like: "We're running this play over right tackle so if you don't want to get hurt you better stay out of the way".

OUMallen
12/19/2008, 09:25 AM

Spare us. People have been stroking you guys off all year on Harvin and you're actually starting to believe it. We played against players just as good. Maclin, Crabtree, Kendall Hunter, Dez Bryant, etc etc etc. We're not impressed. We RESPECT you. But we're not impressed.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/19/2008, 09:44 AM
I think you're way better on offense than bama. It's your smack that isn't any better.

They thought they'd wear us down with their more physical game, yet they had 1 yard total offense in the 4th, while we rammed it down their throats.

OU thinks they'll have us sucking wind with their up-tempo game. But we'll keep up just fine. We'll see who's in desperation mode in the fourth. I'm predicting it won't be UF, but I've no doubt it will take an entire 60 minutes to beat OU.

OU is by far the most formidable team we've faced this year.

LOL at the SEC. And like we said, If you think Bama is in the ballpark with OU on offense, you're crazy. It's the Julio Jones show. Bama scored more than they should have on your defense.

What's wrong with the up tempo argument? Many teams have gotten winded. Many teams have been flagged time after time trying to substitute in. Bama obviously didn't use this logic--because their offense is not of the no-huddle breed. Our offense is prepared to extremes for our attack. We don't celebrate after plays. We pick up the ball and hand it directly to the ref in order to get the next play off as quickly as possible. It's a whole 'nother game.

MALE918
12/19/2008, 09:49 AM
"i haven't heard anyone calling us slow." Bob Stoops, before we played another uber-fast team from fla.

coldblooded
12/19/2008, 10:07 AM

OK......"the other white meat" Had to laugh!!!

But the "popped in the mouth" routine.....so tired. Alabama hung their collective hats on "tradition comes out in big games" and "we will play smashmouth football and our toughness will wear them down!!!
Well......how'd that work out, you might ask? Alabama toughness and tradition gained exactly 1 yard and scored exactly 0 points in the 4th quarter of the SECCG. You guys might want to work on some new hooks for your raggety, staind cowboy hats.........we've been "popped in the mouth" by the best.....and it just didn't matter.

The Maestro
12/19/2008, 10:18 AM
Why do gayter fans keep pointing to what they did against the Alabama offense as a referendum as to what they will do against OU's offense?

Bama won with great line play this year. Their first half at Georgia was a season maker, but the schedule was easy before and after that...until Florida. Hell, most people knew Bama's day was coming. Very average QB, very average RB and one stud receiver. Good line play got them as far as they did. Hell, they barely got by LSU with that stiff at quarterback trying to give the game away.

I guess my biggest deal with Florida is this--are they tested? Tested like OU's offense can show them?

For OU, we have seen it all, I am sure. While the last 28 minutes were dismal against Texas, we did have 28 points on them 32 minutes into the game. We scored at least 35 in every game. We have played 6 teams in the top 25. Are the rankings jacked up?

I just think we will find that one of the two teams isn't as great as the other. Either the SEC is better than we thought or the Big 12, namely the South, has four top ten teams in it. We will see...in 20 days.

soonerspudman
12/19/2008, 10:35 AM

Give me a break, take away his one 80 yard run and he has 450 yards rushing on the year. Yawn.

catsigater
12/19/2008, 10:38 AM

Finally, an OU fan steps up to say what his comrades dare only hope in secret: that the OU D is a force to be reckoned with, not a paper-tiger farce; that they will make UF one-dimensional; and that somehow, someway, against all evidence, they will dictate the outcome of the game.

You got that half right. But the D that imposes its will come Jan 8th won't be wearing Crimson.

soonerspudman
12/19/2008, 10:45 AM

Yes, TCU does have a better defense than Florida, no I'm not nuts. SEC offense this year was maybe as good as the Big East, your defense is slightly above average, that's about it. And it's not just about speed, it's about position, mentally Forida's D has never dealt with the likes of OU's complexity, any given pass play Bradford will have six targets and your D will blow a mind fuse trying to figure out where to be.

OU scores 45 minimum.

Crucifax Autumn
12/19/2008, 10:47 AM
You sure have some rather odd reading comprehension skills.

And to the earlier poster: We're not Alabama - We have an actual offense.

The Maestro
12/19/2008, 10:49 AM
The only thing OU will be lathering will be the brown stains from their unis - the natural by-product that comes from facing wave upon wave of the relentless Gator attack.

Are you a ghey romance novel writer? Man, Velveeta thinks you are a bit too cheesy.

odern
12/19/2008, 10:52 AM
Where was he against Ole miss, he had a hell of a game and yall still lost.

Ole Miss is a top 25 team. What's your point?

Knippz
12/19/2008, 10:54 AM

Intangibles, baby.

None, which is a good thing. How many players does Florida have from last year's Michigan loss.

Here's an intangible - Stoops has been a part of 4 BCS title games, winning 2 out of 4 as a coach. He's been through ups and downs, and I like his experience a lot better than Meyer's. Urb has been to one, and won it respectively. However, he's yet to have his down (and everyone has them, believe me). His time will come, and I strongly believe it will be this year.

Knippz
12/19/2008, 10:56 AM
Ole Miss is a top 25 team. What's your point?

Yeah...number 25 out of the top 25. They also weren't ranked at any point this season until the last game. And, when y'all lost (AT HOME), they were unranked.

BlondeSoonerGirl
12/19/2008, 10:57 AM
I think Fazier was saying things like: "We're running this play over right tackle so if you don't want to get hurt you better stay out of the way".

Heh.

Knippz
12/19/2008, 11:00 AM
And quit throwing Bama into the conversation. Bama sucks, and everyone knew it all year. It was a matter of time before they actually played a decent team and lost. They had a horrendously weak schedule. Bama = bad.

On that note, TCU isn't great either, but their defense is better than Florida's. No doubt. Bradford tore them apart.

C&CDean
12/19/2008, 11:03 AM
Finally, an OU fan steps up to say what his comrades dare only hope in secret: that the OU D is a force to be reckoned with, not a paper-tiger farce; that they will make UF one-dimensional; and that somehow, someway, against all evidence, they will dictate the outcome of the game.

You got that half right. But the D that imposes its will come Jan 8th won't be wearing Crimson.

The only thing OU will be lathering will be the brown stains from their unis - the natural by-product that comes from facing wave upon wave of the relentless Gator attack.

Talk is very cheap Sybil.

catsigater
12/19/2008, 11:14 AM
Talk is very cheap Sybil.

Indeed it is, which is why I went all melodramatic after Crucifax's grave and low-toned prediction.

But it's come to my attention my last sentence was a bit rude on a board I'm only visiting. My apologies.

ufbrad24
12/19/2008, 11:16 AM
To the original poster: please include yards per carry in your statistical analysis. These guys average 8-9 yards per carry with the exception of Tebow. Florida hands the ball off to Harvin on a sweep play and he has 9 yards before he is touched. It doesn't look like much, but he will do it 4-5 plays in a row and before you know it we have gone 50 yards. You will just have to see him in person to form your opinion. Nothing short of that will convince you to see the vast separation between him and the Big 12 guys you mention (Maclin, etc). Best of luck.

catsigater
12/19/2008, 11:18 AM
Nope, you're not allowed to mention YPC in this thread. Dat's da rulz!

C&CDean
12/19/2008, 11:23 AM
To the original poster: please include yards per carry in your statistical analysis. These guys average 8-9 yards per carry with the exception of Tebow. Florida hands the ball off to Harvin on a sweep play and he has 9 yards before he is touched. It doesn't look like much, but he will do it 4-5 plays in a row and before you know it we have gone 50 yards. You will just have to see him in person to form your opinion. Nothing short of that will convince you to see the vast separation between him and the Big 12 guys you mention (Maclin, etc). Best of luck.

Really? He's vastly superior to Crabtree? Maclin? Bryant?

We're vastly ****ed now.:twinkies:

Knippz
12/19/2008, 11:35 AM
YPC go down when you get more yards. With 500 yards over a full season, it's a LOT easier to have a greater YPC. Get over 1000, then we'll talk.

stoopified
12/19/2008, 11:38 AM
We go 1st team O vs. 1st team D a lot during the year so yeah WE HAVE SEEN BETTER than Percy.His name is DeMarco .

Okie35
12/19/2008, 11:46 AM
Surely Florida knows they need to at least be in the 30's to win. I dare them to say otherwise. They are used to games with not near as many plays as we will bring on them. And without the big strike, the Sooners should win...and win with ease, in my completely biased opinion.

hahaha... but yea they do rely on big plays and most of em are on misdirection runs or options so IF those are stopped... :cool:

Scott D
12/19/2008, 11:48 AM
If you Gators think Alabama was bigheaded this year, wait until next year when they play 12 cupcakes on their way to a second appearance in the SEC CCG.

Okie35
12/19/2008, 11:48 AM
We go 1st team O vs. 1st team D a lot during the year so yeah WE HAVE SEEN BETTER than Percy.His name is DeMarco .

harvin's best game numbers wise was against ole miss... sure he had a turnover but that was the most yards he racked up(rushing+receiving) all season...

The Maestro
12/19/2008, 11:50 AM

Don't make me pull up more stats to shut you up even further. Stats get boring, but the point of this thread was avoiding YPC. Inflated stat over a season. I wanted to see how the backs were used game by game.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/19/2008, 12:22 PM
It doesn't look like much, but he will do it 4-5 plays in a row and before you know it we have gone 50 yards.

and then he'd be done for the game.

The Maestro
12/19/2008, 01:07 PM
Harvin combined for over 100 yards of total offense only four times this year. That's being this "threat like OU has NEVER seen!" running and receiving. 50 lousy yards rushing and receiving and he tops 100. Only four times.

I assume he didn't play against Hawaii and we know he didn't play against Bama.

vs. Citadel - 3 carries, 49 yards with a long run of 25 and a TD. 2 catches for 76 yards with a long of 53. 125 yards total against THE Citadel.

vs. LSU - 2 carries, 13 yards with a long run of 8. 6 catches for 112 yards, 2 TD's and a long catch of 70. 125 yards against LSU.

vs. South Carolina - 8 carries, 167 yards, 2 TD's and a long run of 80. 1 catch for six yards. 173 yards total vs. South Carolina.

And his best game, stat wise? Ole Miss! 10 carries, 82 yards, 1 TD and a long run of 15. 13 catches, 186 yards, 1 TD and a long catch of 43.

No 100 yard total games against FSU(13 yards total), Vandy(92 yards), Georgia(89 yards), Kentucky(55 yards), Arky(74 yards), Tennessee(80 yards) and Miami(39 yards).

BUT WE HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYONE THE LIKES OF PERCY HARVIN!!!!

DeMarco eclipsed 100 yards total 7 times and Chris Brown 6 times.

NEXT!!

odern
12/19/2008, 01:08 PM
So you too are biting into the preseason polls. Preseason polls are guesses. Take a look at the top 10 preseason versus the current top ten; the end result is what is accurate. Ole miss will beat Texas Tech.

odern
12/19/2008, 01:12 PM
Yeah...number 25 out of the top 25. They also weren't ranked at any point this season until the last game. And, when y'all lost (AT HOME), they were unranked.

So you too are biting into the preseason polls. Preseason polls are guesses. Take a look at the top 10 preseason versus the current top ten; the end result is what is accurate. Ole miss will beat Texas Tech.

The Maestro
12/19/2008, 01:15 PM

Huh? How does that argument hurt OU or help Florida?

Where is Georgia ranked now? LSU? They still holding onto those top ten rankings PRESEASON??? Congrats on sneaking Ole Miss in the polls past Tulsa.

Meanwhile, where are TCU, Cincy, OSU and Texas Tech ranked compared to their preseason spots?

The most epic of fails...you should stop now.

L-Boy
12/19/2008, 01:46 PM
Last year people ragged on UF because they were one - or I should say 2 dimensional. It was pretty much all about Tebow and Harvin. The stats were good enough to carry Tebow to a Heisman, in spite of a couple of losses.

This year, the Gators are clearly a better team, and we have many more weapons on offense. As such, UF is using them. So now we get a perverse argument that no one person is single handedly carrying the load by themself, so that is somehow a weakness. This is a very odd argument.

Look at the yards per carry and yds per catches. Overall, the UF offense had the #2 yds per play in the country. I am not sure how you get more efficient than that.

Sooner13
12/19/2008, 02:29 PM
Last year people ragged on UF because they were one - or I should say 2 dimensional. It was pretty much all about Tebow and Harvin. The stats were good enough to carry Tebow to a Heisman, in spite of a couple of losses.

This year, the Gators are clearly a better team, and we have many more weapons on offense. As such, UF is using them. So now we get a perverse argument that no one person is single handedly carrying the load by themself, so that is somehow a weakness. This is a very odd argument.

Look at the yards per carry and yds per catches. Overall, the UF offense had the #2 yds per play in the country. I am not sure how you get more efficient than that.

Ok, let's look at yds per carry and yds per catch. Actually let's just combine them and say yds per TOUCH:
UF
Rainey - 83 carries, 655 yards
2 rec, 26 yards
Total - 85 touches 681 yards, 8 yds/touch

Demps - 69 carries, 582 yards
15 rec, 141 yards
Total - 84 touches, 723 yards, 8.6 yds/touch

Harvin - 61 carries, 538 yards
35 rec, 595 yards
Total - 96 touches, 1133, 11.8 yds/touch

Moody - 57 carries, 417 yds, 7.3 yds/rush
No receptions

OU
Brown - 195 carries, 1110 yds
13 rec, 72 yds
Total - 208 touches, 1182 yds, 5.7 yds/touch

Murray - I will just leave him out since he will not be playing

Mossis - 111 carries, 463 yds
11 rec, 77 yds
Total - 122 touches, 540 yds, 4.4 yds/touch

Gresham - 59 touches, 893 yds, 15.1 yds/touch

Iggy - 70 touches, 1099 yds, 15.7 yds/touch

Manny - 40 touches, 689 yds, 17.2 yds/touch

Broyles - 44 touches, 669 yds, 15.2 yds/touch

Looks like we have some "playmakers" too :eek:

budbarrybob
12/19/2008, 02:29 PM

Intangibles, baby.

Holy crap your RIGHT!!!

OU hasn't played in ANY big games this year OR the last 2 years. Damn it we've been exposed!! :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

L-Boy
12/19/2008, 02:40 PM
Ok, let's look at yds per carry and yds per catch. Actually let's just combine them and say yds per TOUCH:
UF
2 rec, 26 yards

15 rec, 141 yards

35 rec, 595 yards

No receptions

OU
13 rec, 72 yds

11 rec, 77 yds

I don't think anybody said OU didn't have playmakers. The yds per play are fairly close:

UF - 7.19
OK - 7.05

OK does have more total yds and thus more total plays, I would assume because OU runs a little less than UF and runs a no huddle sometimes. So OU gets more yds and more points, but OU gives up a lot more yds and points too.

I just don't see this great advantage in the statistics some of you seem to be seeing.

Sooner13
12/19/2008, 02:45 PM
I don't think anybody said OU didn't have playmakers. The yds per play are fairly close:

UF - 7.19
OK - 7.05

OK does have more total yds and thus more total plays, I would assume because OU runs a little less than UF and runs a no huddle exclusively. So OU gets more yds and more points, but OU gives up a lot more yds and points too.

I just don't see this great advantage in the statistics some of you seem to be seeing.

Fixed.

The Maestro
12/19/2008, 03:04 PM

Great argument and solid points. But my intent was more for the folks that act like Harvin is UNLIKE ANY PLAYER OU HAS EVER SEEN!!!! He's real good, but we see those guys every day in practice, just as good as Harvin.

no1g8r
12/19/2008, 03:25 PM
UF
2 rec, 26 yards

15 rec, 141 yards

35 rec, 595 yards

No receptions

OU
13 rec, 72 yds

11 rec, 77 yds

So we mention that Florida has a lot of playmakers, which dilutes the ypg that each gets, so you counter by comparing fewer playmakers from Florida than you do from OU. Convenient. Here are a few more that you left out:

James - 89 touches, 1341 yds, 15.1 yds/touch

Hernandez - 29 touches, 324 yds, 11.2 yds/touch

Murphy - 38 touches, 618 yds, 16.3 yds/touch

And there are other players who have stepped up as of late, who don't have as many touches, but all have over 10 touches, much of it in recent games:

Nelson, 11 touches, 200 yds, 18.2 yds/touch

Thompson, 18 touches, 269 yds, 14.9 yds/play

C. Moore, 14 touches, 184 yds, 13.1 yds/touch

Cooper, 16 touches, 233 yds, 14.6 yds/touch

K. Moore, 33 touches, 178 yds, 5.4 yds/touch

Tebow, (rush only, to not double-count the passing yardage) 154 touches, 564 yds, 3.7 yds/touch

To make things even, I'll go ahead and add the other OU players that meets the criteria of having at least 10 touches:

Chaney, 27 touches, 467 yds, 17.3 yds/touch

Johnson, 15 touches, 27 yds, 1.8 yds/touch

Clapp, 16 touches, 113 yds, 7.1 yds/touch

Bradford (rush only, to not double-count the passing yardage) 40 touches, 65 yds, 1.6 yds/touch

That's a more complete picture of the non-defensive playmakers for both teams. Florida has more of them, nearly 50% more, all who pose a significant threat. I agree that not all of the non-defensive playmakers from either team will be on the field at the same time, but with Florida you just can't slack off of any one skill player to emphasize another. To do so is to get burned, most often for significant yardage.

Look, I know that OU has some serious playmakers on offense, and they are definitely a force to be reckoned with. But everyone seems to want to focus on the game being OU's Offense vs. UF's Defense. I'm just pointing out that UF is a force to be reckoned with on offense as well.

Side question: Are OU's receivers good blockers? I need to find some footage somewhere to assess this. Does anyone know if there is a publicly-accessible place where fans can watch either whole game replays of the Sooners, or significant amounts of games? I can already find the "highlight films" on youtube.

Harry Beanbag
12/19/2008, 05:01 PM
Wow, you guys are really geeking up this thread.

starclassic tama
12/19/2008, 05:32 PM

funny thing, people say the same thing about our guys. but somehow one football is enough for our guys to have jaw dropping stats.

no1g8r
12/19/2008, 05:51 PM
funny thing, people say the same thing about our guys. but somehow one football is enough for our guys to have jaw dropping stats.

Florida's defense and special teams have been giving Florida's offense a short field a lot this year. That has a big impact on the overall yardage stats. Florida's yards per touch stats, per player are quite good.

L-Boy
12/19/2008, 06:04 PM
Florida's defense and special teams have been giving Florida's offense a short field a lot this year. That has a big impact on the overall yardage stats. Florida's yards per touch stats, per player are quite good.

We can go round and round on offensive stats. But truth is, more often than not, its the better D that prevails. Look at UF vs Ohio St in 2006. Look at the year LSU beat Oklahoma, I don't have the stats but I am betting OU had better offensive stats than LSU. Also, I would bet that OU had at least comparable, maybe better offensive stats than USC the year they got spanked by USC. When OU won their national title, FSU was supposed to be the super charged offense. Look at UF vs Nebraska 1995 - UF's offense was shut down cold by a far superior Nebraska D. Or in approx 1992, Bama's D easily prevailed over supposedly high flying Miami Hurricane Offense.

I cannot think of an too many examples where teams won the whole ball of wax with somewhat mediocre defense.

L-Boy
12/19/2008, 06:11 PM
Great argument and solid points. But my intent was more for the folks that act like Harvin is UNLIKE ANY PLAYER OU HAS EVER SEEN!!!! He's real good, but we see those guys every day in practice, just as good as Harvin.

I guess that last statement is where I differ with you. I don't think you guys have players running around in practice like Harvin. The guy has competitive track speed, strong legs and can bench 400+ pounds. He is one of the most explosive players in college football, period. I think you are refuting that because he does not have extremely gaudy total yardage stats. However, he is prone to injury, and essentially plays a hybrid between RB and wide receiver, and we have another half dozen play makers who can produce also (although not nearly as good as Harvin). Harvin was THE #1 High School recruit in the nation the year he came.

As Spurrier commented, Harvin may be a 200 yds a game running back in a different system, although I tend to think he would get banged up that way.
Meyer wisely uses him judiciously. Its better to have a healthy Harvin than a banged up Harvin with gaudy stats.

no1g8r
12/19/2008, 06:46 PM
We can go round and round on offensive stats. But truth is, more often than not, its the better D that prevails. Look at UF vs Ohio St in 2006. Look at the year LSU beat Oklahoma, I don't have the stats but I am betting OU had better offensive stats than LSU. Also, I would bet that OU had at least comparable, maybe better offensive stats than USC the year they got spanked by USC. When OU won their national title, FSU was supposed to be the super charged offense. Look at UF vs Nebraska 1995 - UF's offense was shut down cold by a far superior Nebraska D. Or in approx 1992, Bama's D easily prevailed over supposedly high flying Miami Hurricane Offense.

I cannot think of an too many examples where teams won the whole ball of wax with somewhat mediocre defense.

I agree with you, but you really can't get anybody on this board to talk defense, it seems.

MojoRisen
12/19/2008, 06:47 PM
I hope we don't take a bad angle and accidently horse collar him....:pop:

catsigater
12/19/2008, 07:07 PM
I agree with you, but you really can't get anybody on this board to talk defense, it seems.

I've gotten a pretty good edumacation on TCU's D.

adoniijahsooner
12/19/2008, 07:26 PM
So we mention that Florida has a lot of playmakers, which dilutes the ypg that each gets, so you counter by comparing fewer playmakers from Florida than you do from OU. Convenient. Here are a few more that you left out:

James - 89 touches, 1341 yds, 15.1 yds/touch

Hernandez - 29 touches, 324 yds, 11.2 yds/touch

Murphy - 38 touches, 618 yds, 16.3 yds/touch

And there are other players who have stepped up as of late, who don't have as many touches, but all have over 10 touches, much of it in recent games:

Nelson, 11 touches, 200 yds, 18.2 yds/touch

Thompson, 18 touches, 269 yds, 14.9 yds/play

C. Moore, 14 touches, 184 yds, 13.1 yds/touch

Cooper, 16 touches, 233 yds, 14.6 yds/touch

K. Moore, 33 touches, 178 yds, 5.4 yds/touch

Tebow, (rush only, to not double-count the passing yardage) 154 touches, 564 yds, 3.7 yds/touch

To make things even, I'll go ahead and add the other OU players that meets the criteria of having at least 10 touches:

Chaney, 27 touches, 467 yds, 17.3 yds/touch

Johnson, 15 touches, 27 yds, 1.8 yds/touch

Clapp, 16 touches, 113 yds, 7.1 yds/touch

Bradford (rush only, to not double-count the passing yardage) 40 touches, 65 yds, 1.6 yds/touch

That's a more complete picture of the non-defensive playmakers for both teams. Florida has more of them, nearly 50% more, all who pose a significant threat. I agree that not all of the non-defensive playmakers from either team will be on the field at the same time, but with Florida you just can't slack off of any one skill player to emphasize another. To do so is to get burned, most often for significant yardage.

Look, I know that OU has some serious playmakers on offense, and they are definitely a force to be reckoned with. But everyone seems to want to focus on the game being OU's Offense vs. UF's Defense. I'm just pointing out that UF is a force to be reckoned with on offense as well.

Side question: Are OU's receivers good blockers? I need to find some footage somewhere to assess this. Does anyone know if there is a publicly-accessible place where fans can watch either whole game replays of the Sooners, or significant amounts of games? I can already find the "highlight films" on youtube.

espn360.com. every game we played on espn and abc is on there. Full games. You can t use google chrome though. Oh yeah, they block, and their spectacular.

no1g8r
12/19/2008, 07:48 PM
espn360.com. every game we played on espn and abc is on there. Full games. You can t use google chrome though. Oh yeah, they block, and their spectacular.

Thanks, but unfortunately they don't offer it to the internet provider that I use. Does anyone know of anywhere else?

adoniijahsooner
12/19/2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks, but unfortunately they don't offer it to the internet provider that I use. Does anyone know of anywhere else?

Try justin.tv I dont know if you watch games from the past.

adoniijahsooner
12/19/2008, 08:22 PM
This is guaranteed to work. Its not full games, but its lengthy highlights of each game.

http://www.soonersports.com/multimedia/video_library_main_football_page.html

L-Boy
12/19/2008, 09:34 PM

I wonder if there has EVER been a team that won a national championship and the defense allowed an average of 359 yds per game. Me thinks not.

L-Boy
12/19/2008, 09:59 PM
OK defense gives up more yds per game than all of these teams:

Southern Cal
*TCU
*Alabama
*Tennessee
*Penn St.
*Boston College
*Virginia Tech
*Ohio St.
*Florida
*Connecticut
*South Carolina
*Iowa
*South Florida
*Florida St.
*Mississippi
*Boise St.
*Clemson
*Utah
*Wake Forest
*Arizona
*N. Illinois
*San Jose St.
*Georgia Tech
*California
*Miami
*Cincinnati
*Auburn
*Georgia
*Vanderbilt
*Troy
*Pittsburgh
*Wisconsin
*Oregon St.
*Rutgers
*West Virginia
*LSU
*Kentucky
*Mississippi St.
*Notre Dame
*Wyoming
*Virginia
*UCF
*East Carolina
*Arizona St.
*Air Force
*New Mexico
*Arkansas St.
*UCLA
*Army
*Texas
*Navy
*Memphis
*Northwestern
*Bowling Green
*Ball St.
*Ohio
*Illinois
*BYU
*Hawaii
*Maryland
*Duke
*North Carolina
*Michigan St.
*Purdue

Duke :D

OK Defense gives up more yds per game than all of these teams generate offense per game:

Northwestern
*Pittsburgh
*New Mexico St.
*West Virginia
*Michigan St.
*Louisiana Tech
*Connecticut
*Stanford
*Air Force
*Middle Tennessee
*Indiana
*UNLV
*Hawaii
*Notre Dame
*Maryland
*Texas A&M
*Ohio St.
*Tulane
*New Mexico
*Clemson
*Louisiana-Monroe
*East Carolina
*N. Illinois
*Utah St.
*Toledo
*Marshall
*Miami
*N.C. State
*Miami (Ohio)
*Minnesota
*Idaho
*Boston College
*Colorado
*North Carolina
*Fla. International
*South Carolina
*SMU
*San Diego St.
*Arizona St.
*Duke
*Auburn
*Wake Forest
*Virginia
*Kentucky
*Temple
*Virginia Tech
*Wyoming
*Michigan
*Army
*W. Kentucky
*UCLA
*San Jose St.
*Mississippi St.
*Syracuse
*Tennessee
*Washington
*Vanderbilt
*Washington St.
*UCF

Scathefire
12/19/2008, 10:49 PM
Okay, I got sick of seeing Joe Bob Speed Demon averages 8.7345 yards per carry crap so I went and did some research. Let's start with the Florida running attack.

Not sure what I think. They average 230 yards a game on the ground and that is to be commended. They have five backs that average at least 43 yards a game, but no one averages more than 50.4. Is that a good thing for balance or just the fact no one is dominant? Not sure what I think.

Rainey - 50.4 yards per game - 655 yards total - 75 yards was his longest run - 4 whole TD's this year

Demps - 44.8 yards per game - 582 yards - 62 was his longest run - 7 TD's this year

Tebow - 43.4 yards per game - 564 yards - 26 was his longest run - 12 TD's this year

Harvin - 48.9 yards per game - 538 yards - 80 was his longest run - 9 TD's this year

Moody - 46.3 yards per game - 417 yards - 40 was his longest run - 1 TD

What stands out to me is the question of balance or no one standing out...not sure what I think. I do know that everyone but Tebow has over 10 percent of their total season yards on one freaking carry. I went back and looked at game by game stats and it is INCREASINGLY apparent that Florida relies on big plays to rack up points.

In my opinion, if OU scores over 30, Florida better have at least four or five really big plays, be it offense or defense. Harvin's numbers are ALL big plays, rushing and receiving...rarely did he have a game where he just got it all little by little. The other guys? Their leading rusher, Rainey, got almost 25% of his season total against THE CITADEL! Moody racked up 116 against THE CITADEL and only rushed for 417 total! Demps had 103 vs. Arkansas and 129 vs. LSU. Sorry, gaytor fans...those teams suck this year. That means around 40% of his season total in two games against bad teams.

Florida only has three receivers with more than 20 catches on the year. Harvin had a couple of huge bombs for TD's that led to his 595 yards receiving this year...seriously like 20% of his season total yards in two plays.

Florida does have balance and they have big strike capability. My point is, if they don't get it, they will not win. Against Miami it was 9-3 Gators heading to the 4th. Florida ran the ball 27 times that game for 89 yards. 39 carries for 147 yards against Tennessee. Hell, only 142 yards on 42 carries against Alabama. OU can live with that.

Scoring in the 30's will be no problem against your defense.

But on the other my novice guess is that your offense scores 24!

Oh and about your little stats you put together, that just shows that we are a balanced team that will beat you in so many ways.

We do score on big plays. But we would not be winning if we were not very consistent.
We make big plays consistently. Coincidence, I think not.

Scott D
12/19/2008, 10:58 PM
OK defense gives up more yds per game than all of these teams:

Southern Cal
*TCU
*Alabama
*Tennessee
*Penn St.
*Boston College
*Virginia Tech
*Ohio St.
*Florida
*Connecticut
*South Carolina
*Iowa
*South Florida
*Florida St.
*Mississippi
*Boise St.
*Clemson
*Utah
*Wake Forest
*Arizona
*N. Illinois
*San Jose St.
*Georgia Tech
*California
*Miami
*Cincinnati
*Auburn
*Georgia
*Vanderbilt
*Troy
*Pittsburgh
*Wisconsin
*Oregon St.
*Rutgers
*West Virginia
*LSU
*Kentucky
*Mississippi St.
*Notre Dame
*Wyoming
*Virginia
*UCF
*East Carolina
*Arizona St.
*Air Force
*New Mexico
*Arkansas St.
*UCLA
*Army
*Texas
*Navy
*Memphis
*Northwestern
*Bowling Green
*Ball St.
*Ohio
*Illinois
*BYU
*Hawaii
*Maryland
*Duke
*North Carolina
*Michigan St.
*Purdue

Duke :D

OK Defense gives up more yds per game than all of these teams generate offense per game:

Northwestern
*Pittsburgh
*New Mexico St.
*West Virginia
*Michigan St.
*Louisiana Tech
*Connecticut
*Stanford
*Air Force
*Middle Tennessee
*Indiana
*UNLV
*Hawaii
*Notre Dame
*Maryland
*Texas A&M
*Ohio St.
*Tulane
*New Mexico
*Clemson
*Louisiana-Monroe
*East Carolina
*N. Illinois
*Utah St.
*Toledo
*Marshall
*Miami
*N.C. State
*Miami (Ohio)
*Minnesota
*Idaho
*Boston College
*Colorado
*North Carolina
*Fla. International
*South Carolina
*SMU
*San Diego St.
*Arizona St.
*Duke
*Auburn
*Wake Forest
*Virginia
*Kentucky
*Temple
*Virginia Tech
*Wyoming
*Michigan
*Army
*W. Kentucky
*UCLA
*San Jose St.
*Mississippi St.
*Syracuse
*Tennessee
*Washington
*Vanderbilt
*Washington St.
*UCF

how pathetic is it that the entire SEC is on both lists? ;)

Hokiefan
12/19/2008, 11:05 PM
Spare us. People have been stroking you guys off all year on Harvin and you're actually starting to believe it. We played against players just as good. Maclin, Crabtree, Kendall Hunter, Dez Bryant, etc etc etc. We're not impressed. We RESPECT you. But we're not impressed.

I'm a Va. Tech Hokie fan and don't really have a dog in this fight (other than a grudge against Florida for stealing Percy Harvin), but I do think some OU fans are overestimating what they perceive to be an offensive advantage. As another poster has already pointed out, they averaged only 9 PPG more than Florida, even though they play in what I would consider a "fast break" conference. For the most part, the SEC is a ball control conference, with teams trying to control the ball and the clock. However, Florida, unlike any other team in the SEC, has player after player capable of burning any defense with the big play. OU fans need only to remember that Pat White and Noel Devine shredded their defense in last year's bowl game, and while I realize that a year has passed and this is not the same Oklahoma team, Florida has even more speed than that WVU squad........

L-Boy
12/19/2008, 11:25 PM
how pathetic is it that the entire SEC is on both lists? ;)

Having less yds per game laid on your defense is a good thing, although I know this be complicated stuff. ;)

sooneron
12/19/2008, 11:29 PM

I heard pretty much the EXACT same words about Maclin.

Funny

sooneron
12/19/2008, 11:40 PM
Two things-

This thread has reached pointlessness. and

Is supes like 14 or something?

Scott D
12/20/2008, 12:25 AM
Having less yds per game laid on your defense is a good thing, although I know this be complicated stuff. ;)

and some of us have already had the discussion that just as allegedly OU's offensive numbers appear inflated by allegedly meh to poor defenses, the SEC's defensive numbers are inflated by clearly inept offenses outside of Florida, and the schizo Georgia offense. Alabama's offense is even mediocre, and it was probably the 3rd best in the conference.

itsok
12/20/2008, 02:07 AM
we played TCU and UT, the 1st and 2nd rated defenses in the land and scored
35...i think we can score 36 on your defense (9th)...If Stoops plays co defensive
coordinator for the next 3 weeks, you score 32 (better than bama) and
we win. sounds fair?...even if we spot you 3 for home field advantage is 36-35 OU..hehe..-thats best case scenario for you, if sammy is on, its 50 on you guys...

no1g8r
12/20/2008, 07:36 AM
we played TCU and UT, the 1st and 2nd rated defenses in the land and scored
35...i think we can score 36 on your defense (9th)...If Stoops plays co defensive
coordinator for the next 3 weeks, you score 32 (better than bama) and
we win. sounds fair?...even if we spot you 3 for home field advantage is 36-35 OU..hehe..-thats best case scenario for you, if sammy is on, its 50 on you guys...

TCU & UT are the 1st and 2nd rated defenses in whose land, fantasyland?

UT is nationally ranked #50 in total defense and #20 in scoring defense.

TCU is much closer, ranking #2 in both categories, but TCU got there on the strength of holding the following teams to under 10 points:

New Mexico (3 pts)
Stephen F. Austin (7 pts)
SMU (7 pts)
San Diego St. (7 pts)
Colorado St. (7 pts)
BYU (7 pts)
Wyoming (7 pts)

Not exactly a star-studded list of offensive powerhouses to have to worry about. I don't think they can be considered in the same general ballpark as UF

Texas, I'll give you a bit more credit as they are closer to quality of defense that UF plays. Since you brought up defensive rankings, I'll add that UF is #5 in scoring defense and #8 in total defense, which is ahead of Texas. Texas also beat OU.

Maybe a better way of looking at the scoring defenses is to see how our teams did in holding their opponents near or below their averages (which compares their play against us to their play against everyone else):

OU allowed 7 teams to score at (within 2 pts) or over their scoring average.
UF allowed 1 team to score at (within 2 pts) or over their scoring average.

So it appears to be much more likely that OU will allow UF to get close to its scoring average of 45 points than for UF to allow OU to get to theirs.

adoniijahsooner
12/20/2008, 09:41 AM
TCU & UT are the 1st and 2nd rated defenses in whose land, fantasyland?

UT is nationally ranked #50 in total defense and #20 in scoring defense.

TCU is much closer, ranking #2 in both categories, but TCU got there on the strength of holding the following teams to under 10 points:

New Mexico (3 pts)
Stephen F. Austin (7 pts)
SMU (7 pts)
San Diego St. (7 pts)
Colorado St. (7 pts)
BYU (7 pts)
Wyoming (7 pts)

Not exactly a star-studded list of offensive powerhouses to have to worry about. I don't think they can be considered in the same general ballpark as UF

Texas, I'll give you a bit more credit as they are closer to quality of defense that UF plays. Since you brought up defensive rankings, I'll add that UF is #5 in scoring defense and #8 in total defense, which is ahead of Texas. Texas also beat OU.

Maybe a better way of looking at the scoring defenses is to see how our teams did in holding their opponents near or below their averages (which compares their play against us to their play against everyone else):

OU allowed 7 teams to score at (within 2 pts) or over their scoring average.
UF allowed 1 team to score at (within 2 pts) or over their scoring average.

So it appears to be much more likely that OU will allow UF to get close to its scoring average of 45 points than for UF to allow OU to get to theirs.

Hey did you click on this link to watch extensive highlights of each game?

no1g8r
12/20/2008, 12:38 PM
Hey did you click on this link to watch extensive highlights of each game?

Not yet. I'm really wanting to see routine play rather than highlights (cue someone who will say "all of OU's plays are highlight plays"). Everybody's blocking looks good on highlights, it seems. I'll check it out at some point soon if that's all that I can come across, though. Thanks again.

delhalew
12/20/2008, 01:35 PM
Not yet. I'm really wanting to see routine play rather than highlights (cue someone who will say "all of OU's plays are highlight plays"). Everybody's blocking looks good on highlights, it seems. I'll check it out at some point soon if that's all that I can come across, though. Thanks again.

The highlights are worth watching, but there some things they wont convey.

For instance you'll some open receivers and large running lanes, and wonder. "whats up with that"?

Unedited game footage is the only way to see the "tempo" we talk about and the direct result of defenses crapping themselves trying not to get penalized, chooose a scheme, or even get set for the snap.

I've heard Gators say " the defenses obviousley suck, because every highlight I see shows your receivers wide open".

Well as you can imagine, that doesn't just happen by accident.

adoniijahsooner
12/20/2008, 02:09 PM
The highlights are worth watching, but there some things they wont convey.

For instance you'll some open receivers and large running lanes, and wonder. "whats up with that"?

Unedited game footage is the only way to see the "tempo" we talk about and the direct result of defenses crapping themselves trying not to get penalized, chooose a scheme, or even get set for the snap.

I've heard Gators say " the defenses obviousley suck, because every highlight I see shows your receivers wide open".

Well as you can imagine, that doesn't just happen by accident.

That's right, but they will see during the game when we are scoring at will.