PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR: Mike Stoops to Iowa State?

Rhino
12/18/2008, 05:22 PM
KXNO in Des Moines is reporting that Mike Stoops is in close contact with Iowa State about their HC opening and talks may be in the final stages. Could be announced as early as Monday.

http://www.62andeven.com/

birddog
12/18/2008, 05:28 PM
holy crap. mike, you're better than that. am i wrong? it would be cool to see him in the conference.

Harry Beanbag
12/18/2008, 05:30 PM
Wtf would he do that? He has a crappy job now, but Iowa State is a horrible job.

PDXsooner
12/18/2008, 05:35 PM
living in tucson...living in ames...living in tucson...living in ames...

What the hell??!! He must feel like he's on the hot-seat or something...

TMcGee86
12/18/2008, 05:37 PM
Well, I guess expectations would be lowered.

Still seems strange. Maybe he feels he would have a better recruiting base in the midwest?

I agree though, it will be cool to have him in conference.

Lott's Bandana
12/18/2008, 05:51 PM
living in tucson...living in ames...living in tucson...living in ames...

What the hell??!! He must feel like he's on the hot-seat or something...

IIIIIIII would agree with you completely. However, these guys grew up in Youngstown, OH and are midwest through and through. I don't think the left coast/desert lifestyle fits these Stoops boys' intensity and blue-collar ethic very well and if a real "respect" offer comes from the Big XII, it wouldn't surprise me if there isn't some interest there.

(all of that is just my impression, hell...Mike could drive a golf cart to work and wear Aloha shirts every day for all I know. Chuck Long certainly took to the California lifestyle, too bad it didn't work out.)

OklahomaTuba
12/18/2008, 05:55 PM
The Big 12 really is our biotch.

Soonermagik
12/18/2008, 06:18 PM
Don't do it!!!!!!!! He needs to continue to work in Zona until he can get them built up. Once he can get them going he can land an awesome job i.e. Flordia State, Auburn, etc...

yermom
12/18/2008, 06:26 PM
are you kidding?

he just needs to go 5-19 there and go wherever he wants ;)

okiewaker
12/18/2008, 06:27 PM
Heard the same thing on the sports animal. Would be kinda neat to see bob and mike in a b12 ccg but much easier to win in the pac 9 plus 1. He should stay in zona if he can. IMO

AllAboutThe'O'
12/18/2008, 07:06 PM
Arizona's reputation as a basketball school would be totally enforced if Mike decides to bolt for balmy Ames, Iowa.

boomersooner28
12/18/2008, 07:30 PM
Iowa State is where coaches go to do die (or Auburn :D ). Maybe ISU is dreaming. I wouldnt think Mike would Leave Arizona for Ames. No way. He is just starting to get it going in Arizona. He can wait and get a much better gig.

OUbench
12/18/2008, 07:55 PM
I also heard that from sports animal and also they said Bob doesn't watch mike's games. Don't know if it is that he has no time or they don't get along. I would think its all about no time.

Bosley
12/18/2008, 08:07 PM
IIIIIIII would agree with you completely. However, these guys grew up in Youngstown, OH and are midwest through and through. I don't think the left coast/desert lifestyle fits these Stoops boys' intensity and blue-collar ethic very well and if a real "respect" offer comes from the Big XII, it wouldn't surprise me if there isn't some interest there.

(all of that is just my impression, hell...Mike could drive a golf cart to work and wear Aloha shirts every day for all I know. Chuck Long certainly took to the California lifestyle, too bad it didn't work out.)

I'm pretty sure Arizona was one of the 10 red states this year...

L-Boy
12/18/2008, 08:26 PM
are you kidding?

he just needs to go 5-19 there and go wherever he wants ;)

Beat me to it..

TXBOOMER
12/18/2008, 08:30 PM
AZ > I State. That is maybe the worst school in the Big 12 for football. GL to Mike but I hope he doesn't do it.

delhalew
12/18/2008, 08:33 PM
I also heard that from sports animal and also they said Bob doesn't watch mike's games. Don't know if it is that he has no time or they don't get along. I would think its all about no time.

I cant remember any sources, but I recall something refering to BOB routing for arizona. I've never heard of problems between them.

ratedrsuperstar
12/18/2008, 08:33 PM
I could see Mark Stoops going to Iowa State, not Mike.

yukonmiller
12/18/2008, 10:47 PM

Bob said one time that he doesn't watch much of Mike's games because it is too stressfull on him. The definitely get along

Ace
12/18/2008, 10:56 PM
I think it would be nice to have him around. It seems like so many coaches leave OU and then I sorta lose track of what they are up to. Maybe he could get the Cyclone program turned around. Guess we'll find out.

Rhino
12/18/2008, 11:33 PM
The Arizona reporter on Traber's show today said Mike to ISU makes sense if you look at all the facts.

Mike hasn't been offered an extension yet and there's a feeling that he might still get let go after the bowl game, maybe even next season. So, why even take a chance? Take the $1 million plus, 3-5 year contract and take the reigns at ISU. Also, Mike and family apparently put their house on the market last month.

Ames is awful, but ISU isn't as bad as advertised. Twice in the the past four years, they've been a field goal away from winning the north and playing in the CCG.

BigRedJed
12/18/2008, 11:37 PM
Hey, it generally ain't all that tough to win the North. Then you're only a few funky bounces in the CCG away from the BCS. Makes a certain amount of sense, I guess. Plus, it's not like he's never lived in Iowa.

8timechamps
12/19/2008, 12:43 AM
I think Pat Hill (Fresno State) is the frontrunner.

Again though, why would you make that move. I guess Fresno wasn't really a football school before Hill got there.

Whoever ends up there will be in a good position. How hard can it be to follow up a 5-19 (no road wins in 2 years) record?

AND, I State doesn't play the "meat" of the Big XII South until 2010. So you get a year to have a little success.

wishbonesooner
12/19/2008, 04:23 AM
We all talk about how the Pac-10 sucks, Mike hasn't been able to make Zona a big winner after what, 5 years? I'm not sold on Mike being a great head coach. Why go from a conference full of patsies to the Big 12?

ashley
12/19/2008, 05:40 AM
Never happen unless he is being forced out.

Harry Beanbag
12/19/2008, 07:31 AM
I think Pat Hill (Fresno State) is the frontrunner.

Again though, why would you make that move. I guess Fresno wasn't really a football school before Hill got there.

Pat Hill has turned down 10 jobs better than Iowa State. :confused:

Jacie
12/19/2008, 08:39 AM
Iowa State is not the black hole of college football. It is possible to go from ISU to a big time program. Examples include John Majors (Pitt and Tennessee), Earl Bruce (Ohio State), and Dan McCarney (asst. head coach @ USF & Florida).

What is tough to do at ISU is compile a winning record. Dan McCarney is the all-time leader in wins with 56. He is also the all-time leader in losses with 85. Of the three examples, only Earl Bruce had more wins than losses (36-32).

Iowa State has beaten Oklahoma a total of 5 times in 74 games and tied the Sooners twice. I guess that is why we like the Cyclones so much.

RedstickSooner
12/19/2008, 10:43 AM

I have to admit, I've never understood equating Ohio with the Midwest. I mean, sure, there's some geographic similarity, but most of Ohio is moderately densely populated, and a lot more similar to, say, Pennsylvania or New York than it is to the flat rural farm states of Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, etc.

I've always thought population density is a much bigger indicator of lifestyle than, say, latitude and longitude. Iowa has about 53 people per square mile -- and Ohio has 280. Seems like they're vastly different, y'know?

'Course, living in the desert is a different ball of wax altogether. And I could see how you'd miss the green, and the farms, and whatnot.

Partial Qualifier
12/19/2008, 10:49 AM
and Dan McCarney (asst. head coach @ USF & Florida).

No, that's assistant TO the head coach. :D

jk -- McCarney's a good guy. They oughtta just hire him back and be done with it.

Lott's Bandana
12/19/2008, 11:06 AM
I have to admit, I've never understood equating Ohio with the Midwest. I mean, sure, there's some geographic similarity, but most of Ohio is moderately densely populated, and a lot more similar to, say, Pennsylvania or New York than it is to the flat rural farm states of Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, etc.

I've always thought population density is a much bigger indicator of lifestyle than, say, latitude and longitude. Iowa has about 53 people per square mile -- and Ohio has 280. Seems like they're vastly different, y'know?

'Course, living in the desert is a different ball of wax altogether. And I could see how you'd miss the green, and the farms, and whatnot.

Ohio has several population centers, as does Indiana and Michigan...but it's location relative to Indiana, Michigan, etc., puts it in the Midwest (even though parts of Ohio are further east than Jacksonville, FL). As you know, the term 'midwest' comes from the days when the country believed anything left of the Appalachians was simply 'other than east'.

Along similar lines, Oklahoma is considered Midwest sometimes, more often, Southwest. But strangely Texas calls themselves West occasionally.

Anyone who has ever ventured west of the TX panhandle or Denver or Cheyenne knows that the West is the most geographically and biologically unique area of the country, except perhaps the very deep South.

The trees, rocks, animals, weather, dirt...everything is different. Instead of Cardinals...Magpies. Instead of whitetails...muleys and blacktails. Instead of sandstone...pumice. Instead of prairie grass...foxtails. Instead of humidity...well, you get the drift.

There are areas of Ohio that look like areas of Oklahoma that look like areas of Tennessee that look like areas of Jersey that look like areas of Iowa. But their ain't too many areas in Ohio or Jersey (or Texas) that look like Tahoe, or Seattle or....Tucson.

OklahomaTuba
12/19/2008, 11:19 AM
Would Mangino be considered midwest or southwest??

Lott's Bandana
12/19/2008, 11:22 AM
Would Mangino be considered midwest or southwest??

Mid-section.

d00d creates his own gravity.

cvsooner
12/19/2008, 12:00 PM
"The Midwest" is an historic term that dates back 150 years or more, from when there were only about 15 or 20 states, all well east of the Mississippi.

Ohio at one time was part of something known as the Northwest Territory, if you can imagine that.

I think it's still referred to as the Midwest because it's west of Washington, DC, and more or less halfway between the Atlantic and Pacific Coasts is about the only answer that makes sense.

Here's another question: is Oklahoma a midwestern state, a southwestern state or a southern state? To me, the answer is...depends onwhere you're asking the question from.

I'm in California...why are Texas, Arizona, New Mexico considered Southwestern states? They're east of me....

cvsooner
12/19/2008, 12:02 PM
Semi-off topic, since we've already hijacked this thread: if you're moderately interested in history, I can highly recommend a book called "How the States got their Shapes" which explains some really interesting facts about U.S. history...such as, why does Oklahoma have a panhandle?

soonerfan715
12/19/2008, 12:02 PM
I thought I heard the announcers talking during the AZ-AZ St game about how AZ had just renewed Mikes contract so the players were at ease that their coach would be back next year.

Lott's Bandana
12/19/2008, 12:18 PM
I'm in California...why are Texas, Arizona, New Mexico considered Southwestern states? They're east of me....

Hawai'i is wondrin the same thing about you.

Wester and Souther.

Lott's Bandana
12/19/2008, 12:20 PM
Back on topic!

Wondered why we don't schedule a home and home featuring the Stoops sibs....?

That would be hella-cool.

Blues1
12/19/2008, 01:09 PM
When It's 110 to 120 Hot Every Day for about 4 to 5 months (May to September )- in Arizona - I would want the Hell out of Arizona - I say Go Mike -- Get The Hell out of there ~~~~ :)

Better to Raise the Kids in Iowa - and lots of High Schools from Chicago to pick up B and B plus high school players that can't make it on Big 10 teams...
Arizona -- Not a good place you want to practice or even play -- JMHO

Rock On Mike,,,,

Rhino
12/19/2008, 02:01 PM
We all talk about how the Pac-10 sucks, Mike hasn't been able to make Zona a big winner after what, 5 years? I'm not sold on Mike being a great head coach. Weird year for Mike.

AVERAGE MARGIN OF VICTORY: 31.0
Idaho - 70-0 (+70)
Toledo - 41-16 (+25)
UCLA - 31-10 (+21)
Washington - 48-14 (+34)
California - 42-27 (+15)
Washington State - 59-28 (+31)
Arizona State - 31-10 (+21)

AVERAGE MARGIN OF DEFEAT: 5.6
New Mexico - 28-36 (-8)
Stanford - 23-24 (-1)
USC - 10-17 (-7)
Oregon - 45-55 (-10)
Oregon State 17-19 (-2)

8timechamps
12/19/2008, 03:43 PM
Weird year for Mike.

AVERAGE MARGIN OF VICTORY: 31.0
Idaho - 70-0 (+70)
Toledo - 41-16 (+25)
UCLA - 31-10 (+21)
Washington - 48-14 (+34)
California - 42-27 (+15)
Washington State - 59-28 (+31)
Arizona State - 31-10 (+21)

AVERAGE MARGIN OF DEFEAT: 5.6
New Mexico - 28-36 (-8)
Stanford - 23-24 (-1)
USC - 10-17 (-7)
Oregon - 45-55 (-10)
Oregon State 17-19 (-2)

I may be waaaay off base, but I always thought Mike was a much better X's and O's guy than a great recruiter.

If Mike could land some top talent, I think Zona could go back to it's "Desert Swarm" days.

OUstud
12/19/2008, 03:52 PM
Wouldn't Mike coaching at ISU be like Josh Heupel eventually taking the OSU job or something?

And I think they have landed some top talent at AZ, but the result seems to stay the same: close losses to top teams, stupid losses to mediocre teams, and the occasional upset.

8timechamps
12/19/2008, 04:09 PM
Wouldn't Mike coaching at ISU be like Josh Heupel eventually taking the OSU job or something?

And I think they have landed some top talent at AZ, but the result seems to stay the same: close losses to top teams, stupid losses to mediocre teams, and the occasional upset.

Depends what you mean by top talent. Looking at Rivals top recruiting classes over the last few years, U of A has only one class in the top 25.

2008 39th
2007 44th
2006 18th

They had a top 25 class in 05, but as of late, they haven't even sniffed the top prospects.

Recruiting is the problem.

stoopified
12/19/2008, 05:47 PM
Would Mangino be considered midwest or southwest??I'd say both since his girth encompasses TWO timezones.

Scott D
12/20/2008, 02:31 PM
I guess this nonsense can be put to bed now.