PDA

View Full Version : **Ever Been To Gainesville?? (fl not tx)**

Lott's Bandana
12/18/2008, 04:54 PM
It's environs kinda look like Central Oklahoma along the Turner Turnpike.

Kinda purdy.*

*'cept for the Fire Ants and amphibians and Love Bugs and Mole Crickets and Palmetto Bugs.

hntrboomer
12/18/2008, 05:04 PM
It's environs kinda look like Central Oklahoma along the Turner Turnpike.

Kinda purdy.*

*'cept for the Fire Ants and amphibians and Love Bugs and Mole Crickets and Palmetto Bugs.
And just out of sight are beautiful beaches, torquoise waters and the finest women in the land. I don't know of many Floridians vacationing in Oklahomo. Can you say the same?

soonersis
12/18/2008, 05:06 PM
Spent most of my summers as a child in G'ville getting ate up by them dang bugs. It is kinda purdy, but I will forever not like numbered streets intersecting with other numbered streets. Oh and I still don't like Alachua General much after how they treated me after a car accident.

birddog
12/18/2008, 05:09 PM
And just out of sight are beautiful beaches, torquoise waters and the finest women in the land. I don't know of many Floridians vacationing in Oklahomo. Can you say the same?

yeah, i'm sure there are alot of beach bums that travel to central florida for vacation.

ocean smack is weak.

PDXsooner
12/18/2008, 05:09 PM
Let's not kid ourselves into thinking Gainesvill is what UF fans think it is...glorious beaches and women with thongs. It's basically Columbia, but a lot closer to the beach with better weather.

UF Fans talking up the beach atmosphere is like Fresno State fans doing it...or Syracuse fans bringing up NYC...

hntrboomer
12/18/2008, 05:14 PM
yeah, i'm sure there are alot of beach bums that travel to central florida for vacation.

ocean smack is weak.
Scrubland smack is quite ladylike.

Lott's Bandana
12/18/2008, 05:32 PM
I don't know of many Floridians vacationing in Oklahomo.

Them Seminoles have been here a while....looks like they is stayin'.

birddog
12/18/2008, 05:36 PM
Scrubland smack is quite ladylike.

i'm assuming you actually read the initial post?

Lott's Bandana
12/18/2008, 05:38 PM
UF Fans talking up the beach atmosphere is like Fresno State fans doing it...or Syracuse fans bringing up NYC...Or Denver claiming to be in the mountains, or Maui tropical, or the moon made of cheese...

PSA:
By the way, the intent of this thread is not to belittle G'ville. I like Central Oklahoma, I live here and also liked the Central Penisula-State Horse Country.*

*Cept them dayum bugs.

hntrboomer
12/18/2008, 05:42 PM
i'm assuming you actually read the initial post?Yes birdog, I did. Would you like me to read it to you? Tell me what you can't understand.

SoonerBoognish
12/18/2008, 05:47 PM
I want to play.

"It's environs kinda look like Central Oklahoma along the Turner Turnpike. Kinda purdy."
+
"Scrubland smack is quite ladylike."
=???

catsigater
12/18/2008, 06:00 PM
Gainesville's ok. My take is if you're not within 10 miles of the beach, Florida's not much better than any other state.

But I live in MO (for about 8 more months), so I don't have much smack to talk about where anyone else lives.

SoonerMom2
12/18/2008, 06:38 PM
Been to Gainesville as family used to live there. If you think it is pretty then you have not come into town from the Atlantic side and it is not close to any beach. Has some really run down areas and frankly the campus buildings have not been that well kept up. Fraternity/sorority row is nothing compared to OU's -- cannot hold a candle. Drive through some of those towns just outside Gainesville -- it is agriculture country just like UF is the agriculture/vet school of FL. They do have a medical center but it is nothing compared to the OU Health Sciences Center.

Lott's Bandana
12/18/2008, 07:10 PM
Been to Gainesville as family used to live there. If you think it is pretty then you have not come into town from the Atlantic side and it is not close to any beach. Has some really run down areas and frankly the campus buildings have not been that well kept up. Fraternity/sorority row is nothing compared to OU's -- cannot hold a candle. Drive through some of those towns just outside Gainesville -- it is agriculture country just like UF is the agriculture/vet school of FL. They do have a medical center but it is nothing compared to the OU Health Sciences Center.

Oh, I like the rolling hills, horse farms and patches of trees...it is a welcome change from the Loblolly of the Panhandle and Piedmont.

Frankly, I don't know much 'bout G'ville proper, just the purdy 'environs'.

Oh, and there's a XXX video place just north of town a few miles (or is it south...can't remember.) on I-75 that has billboard advertising from Georgia one way and the Keys another!

adoniijahsooner
12/18/2008, 07:45 PM
Yep. JR. National track meet a long time ago.

L-Boy
12/18/2008, 07:56 PM
Fla indeed has its share of hicks - but Gainesville Fl is repeatedly rated one of the top 10 best places to live in the US.

Not to flame OK, but I do travel into OK quite a bit. A couple of observations:

- all highways are perpetually under construction
- OK business people really only want to deal with other business people located in OK
- Many of the most talented professionals move to the DFW area to get a job.

Having said that, I have quite a few OU alum friends here in the DFW area.

delhalew
12/18/2008, 07:57 PM
Oh, I like the rolling hills, horse farms and patches of trees...it is a welcome change from the Loblolly of the Panhandle and Piedmont.

Frankly, I don't know much 'bout G'ville proper, just the purdy 'environs'.

Oh, and there's a XXX video place just north of town a few miles (or is it south...can't remember.) on I-75 that has billboard advertising from Georgia one way and the Keys another!

Billboard says "truckers shower for free".

47Wins
12/18/2008, 08:41 PM
Nothing says "Welcome to Florida" like driving through Waldo and meeting some of the city officials. Gainesville itself is ok, nothing special, the greek houses look like public housing projects. The bat house thing is kind of neat as are the signs along the jogging trails that warn people of the possibility of being eaten.

supes
12/18/2008, 09:36 PM
Well. Here's the difference in Gainesville and any other place in Oklahoma. Gainesville is 1 hour from the beach. For the 2 1/2 years I lived in Tulsa, every little pond was considered the beach. And to compare Shands Hospital to any hospital in Oklahoma is a joke. I will say the hospital in Tulsa (University?) had a very good birthing unit. My first kid was born there. The medical research at UF is only topped by a select few locations in the country and nothing in OK is anywhere near that level. The roads are always under construction. It's constantly dry there as well except when the roads ice over in the winter. Tulsa was the nicest place in Oklahoma. And TU IS the best university in OK regarding academics by far. Also, tornadoes seem to happen way too often in OK. Sure G-Ville has some run down locations but 90% of Oklahoma is run down especially OK City. Now, before you talk smack about G-Ville, seriously think about what you're saying first. I just hope I don't get banned for this as I was comparing and contrasting.

G8trGr8t
12/18/2008, 09:59 PM
Gainesville has great schools, lots of purdy women (not quite as good as it used to be since the admissions standards are so high now), and some really good restaurants.

It is a solid 1.5 hours from the beach in St. Augustine(drove it many many times) and 2.5 hours to Daytona (haulin a**). Could do spring break for 6 weekends in a row with all the different schools going through, leave Thursday pm, return Monday am.

Summers are unbearable with humidity, heat, and little to no wind. Great freshwater fishing in lakes south of G'ville and awesome saltwater fishing out of Cedar Key (1.5 hours west). Gorgeous woods and springs around the Suwannee River 1 hour +/- north/northwest.

Lousy air service - have to drive to Orlando (2 - 2.5 hours) or Jax (2 hours). Cops there are out of control, too many redneck former jocks that have a real complex with the college kids. All kinds of things to do for free there with all of the college athletic competitions like gymnastics, baseball, track, etc.

Good mountain bike trails around G'ville and some really good homegrown, or at least that what I was told. 7 hours to the keys for diving/fishing, 6 hours to Atlanta for change of nightlife or 2 hours to Orlando for nightlife/touristy stuff.

Great place to raise a family but very little professional employment there besides the university or Shands (AGH is no more-bought by Shands). Shands is really a great institution. Big VA hospital in G'ville too. Professional salaries are depressed because some will work for cheaper just to be there. Taxes are high due to all the liberal acadamia types and the college not being on the tax rolls but still demanding lots of public service.

Consistently rated in the top ten places to live by US News.

Turd_Ferguson
12/18/2008, 10:03 PM
Nothing says "Welcome to Florida" like driving through Waldo and meeting some of the city officials. Gainesville itself is ok, nothing special, the greek houses look like public housing projects. The bat house thing is kind of neat as are the signs along the jogging trails that warn people of the possibility of being eaten.
heh. Spek on the Waldo. I've met one of those officials before:mad:

DarrellZero
12/18/2008, 10:03 PM
These gators certainly are friendly folk.

Not the slightest bit condescending.

supes
12/18/2008, 10:15 PM
wow, condescending huh? I presume that was aimed at me. Well, I think I have a little more knowledge in this situation than 99% of the posters here since I did live in both locations for extended amounts of time.

Sooner Eclipse
12/18/2008, 10:34 PM
wow, condescending huh? I presume that was aimed at me. Well, I think I have a little more knowledge in this situation than 99% of the posters here since I did live in both locations for extended amounts of time.

Get off your high horse, sparky. I've lived in south and central florida for several years. You can keep it. Nice place to visit, hated living there.

supes
12/18/2008, 10:44 PM
HA! Sparky. That's good stuff.

delhalew
12/18/2008, 11:35 PM
I've been everywhere...twice. I'll keep my home base in these Oklahoma Hills. Although Georgia runs a close second for me.

Seriously, I've seen every part of Florida. Ehh, Its ahhight.

Oh, I almost forgot. Florida does have sweet Gun/protection laws.

Lott's Bandana
12/19/2008, 12:57 AM
Well. Here's the difference in Gainesville and any other place in Oklahoma. Gainesville is 1 hour from the beach. For the 2 1/2 years I lived in Tulsa, every little pond was considered the beach. And to compare Shands Hospital to any hospital in Oklahoma is a joke. I will say the hospital in Tulsa (University?) had a very good birthing unit. My first kid was born there. The medical research at UF is only topped by a select few locations in the country and nothing in OK is anywhere near that level. The roads are always under construction. It's constantly dry there as well except when the roads ice over in the winter. Tulsa was the nicest place in Oklahoma. And TU IS the best university in OK regarding academics by far. Also, tornadoes seem to happen way too often in OK. Sure G-Ville has some run down locations but 90% of Oklahoma is run down especially OK City. Now, before you talk smack about G-Ville, seriously think about what you're saying first. I just hope I don't get banned for this as I was comparing and contrasting.

Translation:

-I lived in Tulsa. Tulsa is the best place in Oklahoma.
-My kid was born at XXX hospital so it is a good hospital compared to all the others in Oklahoma.
-I lived in Tulsa so Tulsa University is the best academic school in Oklahoma.
-90% of Oklahoma is run-down.
-Too many tornados in Oklahoma. (Florida is 4th in country)
-Saying Gainesville has some run-down areas is talking smack.

Gee, I hope I don't get baned.

Then, later:

99% of the people on this board haven't been anywhere like I have.

Gee...isn't that interesting. Seems a half-dozen, including me, have opinions about Gainesville they chose to share. I presume we've been there, even lived there! What a concept!

Here's the dealio, Sparky. Show me somewhere where someone talked true smack about G'ville in my lil 'ole thread here. Personally, as the OP, I was actually complimenting Gainesville, but some of you "guests" don't see that.

Finally, many of the SF members have heard me say this before...
I have lived all over this country, including North Central Florida, and have been around the world several times and I CHOOSE to live in Oklahoma and love it. Not everybody does, and that's cool...but this board has regular members from all over the world and many other universities who practice safe post routinely.

Oh and our wimmens are pretty hawt too, including many of our SF.com regulars...we have more Miss America's than anyone, and before you laugh at my Miss America smack, we've had some pretty significant skin too, including the 25th anniversary Playmate, an OU alum....and wouldn't you like to hear certain yummy phrases coming from Carrie Underwood's Okiethroat?

olevetonahill
12/19/2008, 01:27 AM
Been to Gville once. My friend hada mesican resturant there In the early 90s.
I remember a few things
#1 was El Toro had the best food around .
#2 Per capita I saw More Red neck Crackers , Dude some of the Places made me feel Like i was in a Deliverance Movie :eek:
#3 My friends and I decided we would go to the All NUDE waitress Resturant down the High way. Got there and they wanted something Like 40 Bucks each to even go inside. We said Hell weve Seen neked wimmiens before. as we were leaving My Buddy said " Probably get a hair in our Food anyway " :D
Nevar been back

Crucifax Autumn
12/19/2008, 01:36 AM
Vet...the greatest wordsmith ever!

PDXsooner
12/19/2008, 01:37 AM
i've been to gainesville. and honestly, i thought it was a ****hole.

Crucifax Autumn
12/19/2008, 02:11 AM
I thought the same and I lived in friggin' Mobile alabama at the time!

Pieces Hit
12/19/2008, 09:53 AM
All I know is they're a lot closer to Disney World and I would have a friggin season pass if I lived there.

Florida's a really nice place if it weren't for the people.

Landthief 1972
12/19/2008, 10:26 AM
Tulsa was the nicest place in Oklahoma. And TU IS the best university in OK regarding academics by far.

You lost all credibility right there. TUlsa is an armpit of stupidity and poorly run government. It's been on a fast decline for over a decade, while OKC has been moving up.

Also, tornadoes seem to happen way too often in OK.

And yet we never get a hurricane. But Florida does get a tornado or two.

Sure G-Ville has some run down locations but 90% of Oklahoma is run down especially OK City.

Are you kidding me? Let me guess, you drove down 10th street in OKC and deemed the whole city a cesspool. GMAFB.

Now, before you talk smack about G-Ville, seriously think about what you're saying first. I just hope I don't get banned for this as I was comparing and contrasting.

At least our government can create a ballot our people can read properly.

C&CDean
12/19/2008, 10:26 AM

Welcome to the board numbnuts. There's the door. Goodbye.

There are very few states in the union that are less appealing to me as a place to live, or visit, than Florida.

I've spent months and months in the POS state. The only decent places I've found are in the panhandle. Destin, Panama City. I will say I have never been to Gainesville proper, but if it's chock full of redneck goobers then it's one of the better places in the state demographically speaking.

South Florida? The worst of the worse. Orlando area? Only one smidgen above SF. Construction? Go to Orlando. Miserable weather? Same thing. Of course 95 degrees with 95% humidity is my description of miserable.

When I travel for work, and I see Miami I hope and pray it's a typo and they mean Minneapolis. At least in Minneapolis the people speak English, it's only unbearably hot for a month or so, and I don't have to worry about getting gangstered everywhere I go. Even worse to me is if you close your eyes in Florida, you'd swear you were standing on a corner in NYC or Boston. "Hey, c'mere, yous guys bettah pahk ova deh." I watched two old ladies duking it out in a deli in Ft. Lauderdale over the last of the lox.

Lott's Bandana
12/19/2008, 10:44 AM
Remember what I said about no Gainesville smack?

nm.

:P

KingBarry
12/19/2008, 10:47 AM
TRUE STORY

Only been to Gainesville, Florida once in my life.

My college buddies and myself drove through there on our way back from the legendary 25-10 beat down put on Penn State by the mighty 1985 National Champion Oklahoma Sooners.

We thought it would be nice to check out UF and see a pretty well known college town.

We were only in town for an hour or two, drove through campus, had dinner at a local BBQ place, and hit the highway.

I remember being very impressed with the campus -- we all thought it was beautiful, but that was more than 20 years ago.

The BBQ was indifferent, but I do remember us laughing at a poster celebrating a UF SEC Co-Championship from a few years earler. At Oklahoma, a conference co-championship is a disappointment, and we only put up posters for national titles.

The "wimmens" was waaayyyy hot, but I guess they all have children in college nowadays, and a few are probably already grandmas.

Highlight of the visit to G'ville -- and the one event that my friends all still remember to this day -- was getting pulled over by the locals for speeding at about 45 mph.

We had pulled off the Interstate, and I guess I didn't notice that the big six-lane highway we were driving on had turned into a 25 mph zone -- or whatever zone it was.

We were in my Dad's Jeep Cherokee, with Oklahoma plates, OU banners in the windows, and white shoe polish saying something like "OU National Champs," and the first thing out of the cop's mouth was "Where you all coming from?"

I answered "The Orange Bowl."

She said, "Are you sure that's where you're coming from?"

I said, "Yeah, and we've about 22 hours more driving so we aren't drinking either."

I guess that was enough, because she didn't even give us a warning, and she even offered up some directions to the campus.

SoonerInFla
12/19/2008, 10:49 AM
Gainesville is to Florida as Stoolwater is to Oklahoma.

Lott's Bandana
12/19/2008, 11:20 AM
The "wimmens" was waaayyyy hot, but I guess they all have children in college nowadays, and a few are probably already grandmas.

Personally?

I got nooooooo problem with that.

:cool:

HoustonsOwn
12/19/2008, 11:52 AM
Per capita I saw More Red neck Crackers , Dude some of the Places made me feel Like i was in a Deliverance Movie

^.....this

JGATOR
12/19/2008, 12:09 PM
Oh and I still don't like Alachua General much after how they treated me after a car accident.

Alachua General was bought up by Shands several years ago. It has been a big money loser and Shands has decided to close it within a year.

fadada1
12/19/2008, 12:28 PM
did my 2 years at UF - yes, the wimmen folk are quite delightful. fairly liberal moral standards as well. i'm still trying to figure out where the machine is that pumps out 5' 3", 110 blonde girls.

g-ville is a nice college town. a bigger version of norman. and similar to state college, PA in that without the college, the town wouldn't exist. there are some crummy parts of town with the occasional "working lady" prowling about - down by the bambi motel - if you've lived in gainesville, you know what i speak of.

great place to go to school. great academics. don't let the fsu folks tell you they have better... THEY DON'T. great school to watch sports. all the facilities are right in a row - football, o'connel center, baseball field, soccer/track. also a nice collection of bars by campus and downtown.

JGATOR
12/19/2008, 12:34 PM
In addition to what G8trGr8t listed there are numerous springs in the area. Some just for scuba diving. You can swim or go tubing in most. Now if you want to see some rednecks, the springs are the place to go but the water is great and they are still a very target rich environment.

One thing all the college towns have in common that I've been to, and there have been many, is hot women. Even been to Stoolwater when the Gators played a 3 game baseball series in the mid-80s there and I was stationed in Clovis, New Mexico (Cannon AFB).

A fact about Florida is the further north you go in the state the more in the south you are. It has been a while since I have been to the Keys so that may be the exception.

Another truth I learned while in the military, you can make any place good or bad by your own attitude. However, nothing usually beats home.

C&CDean
12/19/2008, 12:39 PM
In addition to what G8trGr8t listed there are numerous springs in the area. Some just for scuba diving. You can swim or go tubing in most. Now if you want to see some rednecks, the springs are the place to go but the water is great and they are still a very target rich environment.

One thing all the college towns have in common that I've been to, and there have been many, is hot women. Even been to Stoolwater when the Gators played a 3 game baseball series in the mid-80s there and I was stationed in Clovis, New Mexico (Cannon AFB).

A fact about Florida is the further north you go in the state the more in the south you are. It has been a while since I have been to the Keys so that may be the exception.

Another truth I learned while in the military, you can make any place good or bad by your own attitude. However, nothing usually beats home.

I made you green. Others could learn from your style.

fadada1
12/19/2008, 12:50 PM
the springs are pretty cool (and cold - some shrinkage). went to blue springs one time. cool place to hang (or not hang;) ).

JGATOR
12/19/2008, 01:36 PM
I made you green. Others could learn from your style.

Not sure what that means:confused: but I'll take it as a good thing.

Lott's Bandana
12/19/2008, 01:38 PM
In addition to what G8trGr8t listed there are numerous springs in the area. Some just for scuba diving. You can swim or go tubing in most. Now if you want to see some rednecks, the springs are the place to go but the water is great and they are still a very target rich environment.**

A fact about Florida is the further north you go in the state the more in the south you are. It has been a while since I have been to the Keys so that may be the exception. (This is truth. I taught for a while at Florida State. Hated the place. Should be: South Georgia State at Tallahassee.)

**I like that description.

Dean is right, well done Airdale...

spek

C&CDean
12/19/2008, 02:18 PM
Not sure what that means:confused: but I'll take it as a good thing.

It is a good thing indeed young gatorhopper. Hang around and post more.

L-Boy
12/19/2008, 02:20 PM
I can understand some degree of homerism, but there is a great deal of delusionalism go on in this forum. I live in TX, grew up in FL. I travel to OK about once a month, mostly into OK City.

FL has some amazing natural beauty, and some really run down places in between. Yes, 301 going into Gville has some eyesores and redneck money grubbing local yocal police. Stark has a prison on that route.

However, as I said earlier, Gainesville in consistently ranked of the best places to live in the country. You have beaches within a little more than an hour both ways, and access to a lot of other activities.

When I travel through the middle of OK, I mostly see a bunch of nuthin. Its barren, hotter than hell in the summer and fairly miserable in the winter. There is some foliage, trees and natural beauty in the east part of the state. However, the southeast portion of the state was once known as the Meth capital of the country and definitely has it Deliverence potential also - perhaps it has gotten better in last couple of years.

A few years ago, the university of FL head coaching job was rated as THE most desirable head coaching job in the nation by a survey of NFL coaches. One of the factors was the quality of life in Gainesville.

Flame all you want, but the facts keep standing in the way.

C&CDean
12/19/2008, 02:59 PM
I can understand some degree of homerism, but there is a great deal of delusionalism go on in this forum. I live in TX, grew up in FL. I travel to OK about once a month, mostly into OK City.

FL has some amazing natural beauty, and some really run down places in between. Yes, 301 going into Gville has some eyesores and redneck money grubbing local yocal police. Stark has a prison on that route.

However, as I said earlier, Gainesville in consistently ranked of the best places to live in the country. You have beaches within a little more than an hour both ways, and access to a lot of other activities.

When I travel through the middle of OK, I mostly see a bunch of nuthin. Its barren, hotter than hell in the summer and fairly miserable in the winter. There is some foliage, trees and natural beauty in the east part of the state. However, the southeast portion of the state was once known as the Meth capital of the country and definitely has it Deliverence potential also - perhaps it has gotten better in last couple of years.

A few years ago, the university of FL head coaching job was rated as THE most desirable head coaching job in the nation by a survey of NFL coaches. One of the factors was the quality of life in Gainesville.

Meh. I guess that's why Bob Stoops turned them down and stayed in Oklahoma?

Florida does NOT have a lot of "natural beauty." The drive down 95 - all 500 or whatever it is miles of it is nothing but flat land with ugly-assed palmettos and then swamps. The Keys? Yes, there's blue water, but it's not very attractive other than that.

All that being said, I don't think anybody was flaming. The original poster was just stating that the area around Gainesville kinda looks like central OK. Which is a stunning compliment in my mind.

Lott's Bandana
12/19/2008, 03:13 PM

El Nino....you mean facts like these:

MONEY MAGAZINE
Top 100 Best Small Cities to Live - 2008

Gainesville, FL
Top 100 rank: N.A. <<<<============
Population: 108,600

6. Norman, OK

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/.element/img/1.0/sections/mag/moneymag/bplive/2008/snapshot/norman_ok.jpg
In the fall, OUs football stadium is Norman's de facto town center.

WINNER
Top 100 rank: 6
Population: 102,800
Compare Norman to Top 10 Best Places (http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/bestplaces/compare_tool_2008.jsp?id=PL4052500)

Sit down for lunch at Café Plaid in Norman and you'll see a little of everything: mothers with babies, students with laptops, and out-of-towners visiting the University of Oklahoma across the street. People flock to Norman from around the world to study and teach - and then to stay and raise a family. The university not only helps draw educated workers here but also serves as a major source of entertainment. When the OU Sooners play football against longtime rival, the University of Texas, Norman schools are almost always closed on Friday (you read that right) and the town packs the stadium.
If you don't love all things gridiron, console yourself with the campus' world-class art museum, which houses works by Degas, Monet and Renoir. Affordability is another plus: Starter homes go for about $135,000. While Norman hasn't had huge run-ups in housing prices, the city has also been spared the devastating downside.
From the August 2008 issue

More praise for barren, hotter than hell miserableness
(http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2008/snapshots/PL4052500.html)

HiFiGator
12/19/2008, 03:16 PM
G8trGr8tr wrote:

Gainesville has great schools, lots of purdy women (not quite as good as it used to be since the admissions standards are so high now), and some really good restaurants.

It is a solid 1.5 hours from the beach in St. Augustine(drove it many many times) and 2.5 hours to Daytona (haulin a**). Could do spring break for 6 weekends in a row with all the different schools going through, leave Thursday pm, return Monday am.

Summers are unbearable with humidity, heat, and little to no wind. Great freshwater fishing in lakes south of G'ville and awesome saltwater fishing out of Cedar Key (1.5 hours west). Gorgeous woods and springs around the Suwannee River 1 hour +/- north/northwest.

Lousy air service - have to drive to Orlando (2 - 2.5 hours) or Jax (2 hours). Cops there are out of control, too many redneck former jocks that have a real complex with the college kids. All kinds of things to do for free there with all of the college athletic competitions like gymnastics, baseball, track, etc.

Good mountain bike trails around G'ville and some really good homegrown, or at least that what I was told. 7 hours to the keys for diving/fishing, 6 hours to Atlanta for change of nightlife or 2 hours to Orlando for nightlife/touristy stuff.

Great place to raise a family but very little professional employment there besides the university or Shands (AGH is no more-bought by Shands). Shands is really a great institution. Big VA hospital in G'ville too. Professional salaries are depressed because some will work for cheaper just to be there. Taxes are high due to all the liberal acadamia types and the college not being on the tax rolls but still demanding lots of public service.

Consistently rated in the top ten places to live by US News.

For the most part that's pretty accurate, except for the fact that now I know that you are one of those twits in the way when I am trying to get to the beach! Daytona is NOT 2 1/2 hours away. And I guess if you are going all the way into the town of St. Augustine, then it's close to an hour and a half. But when the vast majority of people say "going to St. Augustine to go to the beach," they are really meaning going to the beach ... Crescent Beach. That is about an hour and ten minutes as long as you don't have some dickweed in front of you. And Jacksonville is NOT 2 hours away. It's only an hour and a half on Florida-Georgia gameday ... and that's stopping to buy beer! Yes, the airport is further, but as long as you don't go into town for no reason, and instead take I-295 around Jacksonville, then it is an hour and a half from the north end of Gainesville to the Jacksonville Airport parking lot.

As for the town, he was pretty accurate. The "negatives" -- lower pay, higher taxes, more liberal busy-bodies are offset to a degree -- quality food at affordable prices, free activities like concerts and outdoor activities.

The bike paths that he mentioned have gotten even better. It's not my bag, but I have friends that ride bikes as their hobby almost every weekend. The "rails to trails" path, which goes from the old train depot downtown, east past Hawthorn has been widely acclaimed in that circle.

As for the summers, yes they are unbearable if you aren't from the area. But I am in a tee shirt, khaki shorts and top siders as we speak. You can have your parkas and earmuffs, thanks. I'll never forget when I went back to Furman University after Christmas break my freshman year with a sunburn. It was certainly bittersweet for sure.

Soonermom2 wrote:

I disagree strongly. If you want to criticize Gainesville for not having "culture," like ballet, broadway musicals and the sort, then fine. We don't. But you lambaste us as being agricultural and ugly. It is far from it. I can leave my store and get to our lakehouse in 25 minutes if I don't have to stop. Sure, it is mostly a peaceful country drive. But Cowpen lake is not what the name would suggest. It has crystal clear waters that are spring fed. We have exellent fishing as well as typical water activities -- skiing, rafting etc... In back of our house we have multiple kinds of orange trees, grapefruit trees, lemon trees, tangerine trees, satsumas, kumquats and much more. Our neighbor has plantains and avocado trees as well. And these aren't ugly planted groves in a line. These are all naturally occurring wild trees. I think you would have a lot of trouble finding people who wouldn't appreciate the surroundings. Is it "better" being in the country or in town? That's a matter of opinion, but I live in town, but never miss an opportunity to get out to the country whenever possible.

As for the medical facilities, suffice it to say that for many, many serious illnesses, if you get sick anywhere in the entire southeastern United States, you will get shipped to Shands Hospital if you are lucky. Granted, it is a royal pain in the *** to get routinely admitted, but there is little doubt that the health care at the very top level is unsurpassed.

More to come in a bit, but that's a start ...

Lott's Bandana
12/19/2008, 03:24 PM
G8trGr8tr wrote:

But I am in a tee shirt, khaki shorts and top siders as we speak. You can have your parkas and earmuffs, thanks.

And right now, I am in shorts and a polo shirt, on my way to my club to play golf, in Norman.

(just don't ask me about last Tuesday)

Lott's Bandana
12/19/2008, 03:32 PM
HiFi...

If you read my original post and then read my post #50, I think you and other guests can see that my comparison of Central Indian Territory with Central Amphibian Territory continues to be a tribute to similar college towns in similar horse country...

Having lived in T-hassle, your travelogue is dead-on and accurate as far as my impression of living in that area.

One thing that did shock me when I arrived to FL, however, was the sad condition of the coastal towns along the Gulf. Poor, run-down fishing villages nestled against a flat, brown sea.

Sure, there are very nice tropical places in Florida, but, just like anywhere else, overall it ain't like what the FLDIVOTOURISM projects.

soonersis
12/19/2008, 04:05 PM
FYI...so everyone knows...it's Starke not Stark and the prison is in Lawtey.Sorry, I had to defend my mom's hometown.

HiFiGator
12/19/2008, 04:18 PM
To be technical, it's stark and it's Starke. Trust me ... I've been there.

In all seriousness, we have had a family reunion inside the perimeter of the DOC compound -- no, not for that reason! Up about 4 or so generations, we have family all over that area and one of the handfull of clubhouses available for rent is actually on prison property. (no funny jokes about sneaking a file inside in one of the deserts ...)

HiFiGator
12/19/2008, 04:26 PM
HiFi...

If you read my original post and then read my post #50, I think you and other guests can see that my comparison of Central Indian Territory with Central Amphibian Territory continues to be a tribute to similar college towns in similar horse country...

Having lived in T-hassle, your travelogue is dead-on and accurate as far as my impression of living in that area.

One thing that did shock me when I arrived to FL, however, was the sad condition of the coastal towns along the Gulf. Poor, run-down fishing villages nestled against a flat, brown sea.

Sure, there are very nice tropical places in Florida, but, just like anywhere else, overall it ain't like what the FLDIVOTOURISM projects.

I presume you are talking about the northern west coast of Florida, where a number of rivers -- mainly the Suwanee -- run into the Gulf of Mexico. That brachish water is often muddied by the especially murky river waters which follow heavy rains and especially flooding. That isn't really a testament to the area or upkeep as much as good old mother nature. The Mississippi is a large river that is used to moving large amounts of water all the time. The Sante Fe and Suwanee Rivers are slow moving, peaceful rivers. Tubing down the Itchetuknee River remains a local favorite as well. All of those (except the Mississippi of course), essentially dump out into the same little area of the Gulf of Mexico. Whenever there is extended rain in the area, the rivers get flooded and wash a bunch or mud and debris into the river. Then, just like clockwork, 2 to 3 days later, the river is an ugly murky brown. Then of course, with little movement in the northern part of the Gulf, its waters become similar for a while.

Aside from this, the coast is beautiful in Florida. You still have a nice blend of undeveloped natural coastline as well as smaller mom and pop developed areas like Crystal River. And of course there's always the overpopulated big cities like Tampa/St. Pete and south Florida (Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Boca, W. Palm Beach etc...).

PalmBeachSooner
12/19/2008, 05:03 PM
Let's not kid ourselves into thinking Gainesvill is what UF fans think it is...glorious beaches and women with thongs. It's basically Columbia, but a lot closer to the beach with better weather.

UF Fans talking up the beach atmosphere is like Fresno State fans doing it...or Syracuse fans bringing up NYC...

I totally agree. They are both great college towns, but neither town offers anything special outside of their sports programs.

JGATOR
12/19/2008, 10:45 PM
This is not too far from Gainesville. Scroll down to see a few pictures of the river. http://www.ichetuckneeriver.com/pictures.html

Visirale
12/20/2008, 02:46 AM
I can understand some hangups with Gainesville. I like it a lot, but if you want to be picky there are some less than desirable things there. I prefer living in the city, so I go to school at this lovely jewel outside of Orlando.

http://rollinssports.athleticsite.com/images/campus_aerial.jpg

During the summer (Or any other time of the year you want, it was about 75 degrees all day today.) we spend time on beaches like this:

http://www.condominiumcentral.net/property-images/W%20South%20Beach%201.jpg

When we really want to party we do it on these:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/04ip8Og02Cbwn/610x.jpg

Call me crazy, but I'll take living in FL any day over OK. You guys can keep it!

TheGodfather889
12/20/2008, 02:59 AM
I went in 2005 and had a good time there. I went to the UF/Vanderbilt game when Jay Cutler nearly beat the Gators, took it into double overtime. I thought the town was a good college town personally.

Lott's Bandana
12/20/2008, 03:09 AM
Well, whoop de doo...

We also have schools:

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/1540/lobbyru3.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/)

Boats:

http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/2425/laketexoma524cvw3.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/)

And Beaches:

http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/4199/000ou1gm3.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/)

Lott's Bandana
12/20/2008, 12:47 PM
I presume you are talking about the northern west coast of Florida, where a number of rivers -- mainly the Suwanee -- run into the Gulf of Mexico.

Well HF, actually I was thinking more of Panacea, Port St Joe, etc...but the area you highlighted is the same.

If St. George Island is still there, I exclude that beautiful place from my Big Bend missive...

HungaryGator
12/21/2008, 01:23 PM
To correct some misinformation about UF just being the Vet/Ag school or......ROTFLOL!....fsu being the "professional school" (professional what? Clowns? They do have a circus school after all).....UF has one of the top resarch hospitals in the US in Shands-easily the top rated one in the state. Also a highly rated engineering school a very highly rated architecture school and the #2 rated tax law program in the country. There's a reason its rated in the top 50 for all universities in the country.

PLaw
12/21/2008, 01:40 PM
Been to both. I've worn ruts in I-35 between Norman and DFW and spent 10 years in South Florida.

While I've never been to The Swamp on a gameday, I did have the opportunity to poke my head into the stadium one late autumn morning (don't ask). It's an intimate place and I can see it is a great college football environment. I had a FSU neighbor that told me he refused to go to a game there because of the bad fan behavior. Apparently, it was common in the late 80's / early 90's for Nole fans to get doused with **** cups.

The campus is cool - in Florida, almost every body of fresh water has gators. They have several ponds around campus with 10-12 ft gators sunning on the banks.

Food was decent - went to some age old place for breakfast that was supposed to be THE place to a start day. Obviously, I don't remember to much about it because I can't remember the name - it may have been "Bisquits"??

UF is a good school - I worked with a lot of engineers from UF that were all good people. That said, the younger gators may be classless, out of control, ravers like my FSU friend implied.

Oh yeah, that Ted Bundy thingy??? Kind of hangs over their head like Dahmer does over Milwaukee.

BOOMER

HungaryGator
12/21/2008, 02:51 PM
Ted Bundy murdered Coeds at fsu and got sent to the state pen in Starke where he was then treated to a one-way ride on Old Sparky. There was a seriel killer who murdered 5 UF students in 1990. He's in Starke awaiting execution.

I wouldn't treat anything any semi says about UF or its students, alums, players, coaches or fans with any credibility at all. The whole "throwing pee cups" thing is a standard urban legend we all laugh about. That charge has been thrown at many fanbases many times.

gatorsownu2
12/21/2008, 03:00 PM
Ted Bundy murdered Coeds at fsu and got sent to the state pen in Starke where he was then treated to a one-way ride on Old Sparky. There was a seriel killer who murdered 5 UF students in 1990. He's in Starke awaiting execution.

I wouldn't treat anything any semi says about UF or its students, alums, players, coaches or fans with any credibility at all. The whole "throwing pee cups" thing is a standard urban legend we all laugh about. That charge has been thrown at many fanbases many times.
The Scum that killed the UF students Is rotting in the ground! They executed him last year.

HungaryGator
12/21/2008, 04:24 PM
The Scum that killed the UF students Is rotting in the ground! They executed him last year.

I had forgotten they offed Danny Harold Rolling already. Good.