PDA

View Full Version : BYU vs OU in 2009?

Scotty
12/18/2008, 04:03 PM
Just saw on espn that OU and BYU are talking about a September 2009 game at the new Jerryworld

If this is true, it would be very exciting.

Anyone know about this?

ClintonSooner
12/18/2008, 04:09 PM
saw it too! kinda excited me if they are any good next season.

Scotty
12/18/2008, 04:12 PM
with them and @ miami on the slate next year, we should have a pretty solid non conference schedule.

SOONER STEAKER
12/18/2008, 04:14 PM
It sounds great.

Does BYU travel well? If so, do you think Arlington has enough bike racks for their mode of transportation?

Scotty
12/18/2008, 04:20 PM
since we are on the topic of future schedules

between 2009 and 2019, OU is expected to play Miami, Florida State, Tennessee, Notre Dame, Ohio State, and LSU

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/seasons/schedule.cfm?seasonid=2009

not too shabby

meoveryouxinfinity
12/18/2008, 04:26 PM
taking away a home game?

hate it.

stoopified
12/18/2008, 04:35 PM
I don't see itmyself.It would be counter to OUr noncon scedhuling philosophy.That would give us games against two traditionla football powers in BYU and UM.We like to play one cupcake,2 mid-majors and ONE name team.Alao don't see us giving up a homegame in noncon when we are alraedy playing UM on the road.IF this actually happens I would be shocked.

SoonerTank
12/18/2008, 04:46 PM
It sounds great.

Does BYU travel well? If so, do you think Arlington has enough bike racks for their mode of transportation?

That is so wrong!:D But funny!!!:D

Ardmore_Sooner
12/18/2008, 04:48 PM
If we play one more home game we will have 4 conference home games and 2 non-conference home games, as many home games as we had this year.

Theskipster
12/18/2008, 04:57 PM
I don't see itmyself.It would be counter to OUr noncon scedhuling philosophy.That would give us games against two traditionla football powers in BYU and UM.We like to play one cupcake,2 mid-majors and ONE name team.Alao don't see us giving up a homegame in noncon when we are alraedy playing UM on the road.IF this actually happens I would be shocked.

OU's noncon scheduling philosophy is a top name team and right now Miami only meets half of those requirements. BYU gives OU another strong team to make up for Miami's currently weak team.

SOONER STEAKER
12/18/2008, 04:59 PM
Another game in Dallas would be great for recruiting. Joe C. knows what he's doing. Must be great for us $$$ and I know we could bring in all the top kids in TX to attend another arse whipping put on by the Sooners.

Also, a good trip for our fans who don't get OU/TU tickets.

Ardmore_Sooner
12/18/2008, 05:03 PM
I'd be guessing that the Miami game is gonna be off the schedule next year, but this is just a guess.

Ardmore_Sooner
12/18/2008, 05:04 PM
http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/2008/12/holmoe-2009-schedule-very-close-to.htm

Ruuuuuufus
12/18/2008, 05:17 PM

Miami has a scheduling conflict with the Marlins and has asked to reschedule a different year.

birddog
12/18/2008, 05:23 PM

it's getting to the point now where we can't play any directional schools in the nonconference.

i say bring 'em on. it's not like we have any top 5 schools on the sched. but if we can get wins over top 20 teams while other schools are playing the citadel, we'll be in the nc picture every year.

why do you think usc was left out? they had a weak sched.

Rhino
12/18/2008, 05:23 PM
If it acts as an away game for us, love it.
If it acts as a home game for us, completely and totally HATE IT.

Scotty
12/18/2008, 05:49 PM
http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/2008/12/holmoe-2009-schedule-very-close-to.htm

The Cougars practiced for about an hour in snowy, rainy conditions this morning at Bishop Gorman High School west of Las Vegas.

heh. interesting.

JLEW1818
12/18/2008, 05:53 PM
So basically we will be in Dallas 3 times next year!

soonermeteor
12/18/2008, 07:01 PM
Is there a reason this is in Dallas? Why can't they just come here?

bent rider
12/18/2008, 07:13 PM
It sounds great.

Their alums in Utah/Nevada/Calif are too tight to travel well east of the Rockies (there is a reason they are going to the Las Vegas Bowl 4 years straight), however lots of local Mormons will be encouraged to go to the game so they will get some butts in the seats.

They are a decent team but Max Hall folds up like a cheap tent at the first sign of good pressure (see this years TCU and University of Utah games). They like to pad their offensive stats against inferior competition, so don't be misled by stats. Should not be a problem for the Sooners.

I hope this is not going to be done giving up a home game.

soonerhubs
12/18/2008, 07:40 PM
I'm begging this happens. At the moment the one thing my Father-in-Law has on me when I talk smack is the Copper Bowl. We need to tie up the record next year.

OUHOMER
12/18/2008, 08:16 PM
I am in.. I can not wait to see this new stadium
http://stadium.dallascowboys.com/

Phil
12/18/2008, 09:22 PM
Yes, we definitely need to erase the frigid memory of getting smacked down in Tucson by the Mormons with a wide receiver playing qb for us.

Soonerfan88
12/18/2008, 09:59 PM
Miami game is in talks of being rescheduled but withing 2009. Possibly in Orlando instead of Miami or could be on Thursday or Friday of that week.

This would give us 2 away & 2 home non-con games. With 4 home conference games, that's a total of 6 which what OU has about 50% of the time this decade.

sendbaht
12/18/2008, 10:14 PM
In 1994 I took my new bride to the Copper Bowl. Told her all about my Sooners and how she will I hope someday become a fan. Well, we were playing BYU. I thought what a great game to bring her too...WRONG...

We got bush wacked......She is a fan now though and you should hear her yell..... BOOMER SOONER with her Thai accent...priceless!!!!!

Scott D
12/19/2008, 12:19 AM
Is there a reason this is in Dallas? Why can't they just come here?

because ESPN is paying both schools well to do it.

shaun4411
12/19/2008, 01:04 AM
ugh its all about the money

KingDavid
12/19/2008, 01:21 AM
So basically we will be in Dallas 3 times next year!

Took me way too long to get that . . . but now looking closely at the schedule I found that the BigXII championship game is in Arlington, so . . . I get it.

Man, I really don't come here to actually THINK so I'd appreciate you spelling that out next time . . .;)

HBick
12/19/2008, 03:34 AM
However lots of local Mormons will be encouraged to go to the game so they will get some butts in the seats.

I would assume the 200+ from the texas mormon compound that was illegally raided would be present at the game. ;)

KingDavid
12/19/2008, 04:10 PM
I would assume the 200+ from the texas mormon compound that was illegally raided would be present at the game. ;)

Have you read Under the Banner of Heaven by John Krakauer? Hard to believe you could with your characterization of the raid as illegal.

However one might describe the raid, I think it's obvious to anyone well-acquainted with that situation is that is took way too damn long for the law to do something about it.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/19/2008, 04:29 PM
I hate the idea.... not only because of the beatdown they would receive in Norman, but because of how much fun I would have going to Provo and drinking a whole lot of Mountain Dew right in front of them! Heck, I may even throw back a Red Bull or two for good measure!

Crucifax Autumn
12/20/2008, 12:12 AM
Sounds like the kinda crap I pull when I'm there visiting my inlaws. They aren't Mormon, but all their neighbors are. Works out nice because I'm very sarcastic anyway and my car has a license plate frame that says "born again pagan", I have a Darwin fish, and I replaced the Saturn logo on the front with a pentagram...I'm not a satanist or something...I'm more or less agnostic and I just love screwing with people.

KingBarry
12/20/2008, 05:52 AM
The "maxing out on home games" scheduling philosophy is solely about money, so if we got paid enough to play a game in Dallas, there's no reason to think we wouldn't do it.

If Sammy doesn't come back, though, that's looking like a trap game -- new QB, new O-line, usually high scoring opponent, out-of-town....

UTsucks
12/23/2008, 01:30 PM
A opening game at Jerry world would be SWEET! I hate the cowgirls so the only way I am stepping inside is decked out in OU :pop:

Bring BYU and the 500 fans that show :D

Paperclip
12/23/2008, 01:47 PM
Bring BYU and the 500 fans that show :D

Don't kid yourself. They will be well-represented.

bent rider
12/23/2008, 03:01 PM
I replaced the Saturn logo on the front with a pentagram...I'm not a satanist or something...I'm more or less agnostic and I just love screwing with people.

Maybe they feel you're one of them, they have pentagrams and other odd symbols on their temples...
http://www.mrm.org/topics/the-mormon-temple/the-nauvoo-pentagrams

Hublah
12/23/2008, 07:16 PM
It sounds great.

We use two seaters when travelling to football games! :)

Hublah
12/23/2008, 07:18 PM
I hate the idea.... not only because of the beatdown they would receive in Norman, but because of how much fun I would have going to Provo and drinking a whole lot of Mountain Dew right in front of them! Heck, I may even throw back a Red Bull or two for good measure!

I am Mormon and drink tons of MT Dew and Monsters!

GOod Stuff...

OUHOMER
12/23/2008, 07:22 PM
So my question is, if this is considered a home game, will this come with the season tickets

OKLA21FAN
12/23/2008, 07:29 PM
So my question is, if this is considered a home game, will this come with the season tickets

the encrypted answer is probably 'no'

"Stoops said the BYU matchup would count as a home game for OU, but that the Sooners would still play six games at Owen Field."

http://www.newsok.com/new-dallas-cowboys-stadium-could-host-ou-season-opener/article/3332119?custom_click=headlines_widget

soonerhubs
12/27/2008, 01:03 PM
Sounds like the kinda crap I pull when I'm there visiting my inlaws. They aren't Mormon, but all their neighbors are. Works out nice because I'm very sarcastic anyway and my car has a license plate frame that says "born again pagan", I have a Darwin fish, and I replaced the Saturn logo on the front with a pentagram...I'm not a satanist or something...I'm more or less agnostic and I just love screwing with people.

Tell me you didn't visit Northern Utah and not tell me. We could have done lunch. :D

fadada1
12/27/2008, 01:22 PM
Miami has a scheduling conflict with the Marlins and has asked to reschedule a different year.

i bet if they kept the OU/miami game scheduled (instead of the marlins) no one in miami would even notice.