PDA

View Full Version : Shell Oil finds giant squid 1.5 miles under water

Jerk
12/18/2008, 01:17 PM
Check this sh** out. Looks like a fkn alien.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/11/081124-giant-squid-magnapinna.html

Czar Soonerov
12/18/2008, 01:31 PM
I kept expecting Will Smith to jump out & kick its ***.

SoonerJack
12/18/2008, 01:39 PM
I'm pretty sure if there was a camera operator in the ROV, he was crappin' his pants.

setem
12/18/2008, 01:47 PM
That is crazy looking! Like war of the worlds type ****!

Jimminy Crimson
12/18/2008, 01:57 PM
Mmm, calamari!

OklahomaTuba
12/18/2008, 02:06 PM
No crap, I bet thats some damn good eat'n right there.

JohnnyMack
12/18/2008, 02:40 PM
I kept expecting Will Smith to jump out & kick its ***.

Welcome to erf!!!

1890MilesToNorman
12/18/2008, 02:47 PM
If he was my alien I would call him Goober and take him on dates. He could get to second base before we even picked her up!

Jacie
12/18/2008, 02:51 PM
I didn't know any giant squids were missing. Sure glad they found that one.

yermom
12/18/2008, 03:01 PM
dude!

i wasn't expecting it to be that creepy

or alive...

OKC-SLC
12/18/2008, 03:34 PM
Welcome to erf!!!

comedy.

NormanPride
12/18/2008, 03:40 PM
Good eatin' on them thangs.

So they think it drifts along and waits for things to bump into its arms so it can eat them?

*softball*

Fraggle145
12/18/2008, 05:35 PM
****in' A.

Okla-homey
12/18/2008, 06:03 PM
Al Gore just put out a press release stating said giant squid is the direct and incovenient result of global warming.

Oh, and the fact its been colder this year than normal is proof positive that global warming is realz. Or something equally irrational.

bent rider
12/18/2008, 06:14 PM
Check this sh** out. Looks like a fkn alien.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/11/081124-giant-squid-magnapinna.html

How many BTUs can OleVet get out of it if Shell would grind it into pellets for him?

Jacie
12/18/2008, 06:51 PM
Al Gore just put out a press release stating said giant squid is the direct and incovenient result of global warming.

Oh, and the fact its been colder this year than normal is proof positive that global warming is realz. Or something equally irrational.

Your dis of "global warming" is an example of a-little-knowledge-can-be-a-dangerous-thing. I heard the same thing on Rush Limbaugh a couple of days ago (it was a guest host sitting in for El Rushbo).

Yes, the phrase "global warming" implies, well pretty much the whole world is going to get warmer. Yes it is but . . .

True, the polar ice caps are melting, that phenomena is well documented. This melting will have effects that are only now being understood and that in a theoretical context at present but I'll try to explain.

It is believed that the polar ice caps are one end of a huge (i.e. global in size) oceanic convection current where heat collected at the equator is exchanged via warm ocean currents, say the Gulf Stream, for cooler water from the poles. This warm water current flowing north along the Eastern Seaboard then across the Atlantic to Europe accounts for the relatively mild (i.e. to it's latitude) climate in England and Northern Europe.

As recently as 300 years ago the Thames River used to freeze over as did the Hudson River here in America. Yes, people could walk from Brooklyn to Manhattan in the winter if Brooklyn had existed then. That is no longer the case. It is believed that a phenomenom called The Little Ice Age was responsible for these extremely cold winter temperatures. The climate of England, Northern Europe and North America has been mild in comparison for the last 150 years.

Now, if the polar ice caps melt due to global warming that really big convection current carrying cool water to the equator in exchange for the warmer water flowing to the north could turn off. If this happens the equatorial region of the Earth will get very warm. However, areas previously warmed by the flow of the Gulf Stream could experience temperature extremes, not only hotter summers but colder winters. The Gulf Stream mitigates or lessens the severity of winter in areas north of 30 degrees latitude. Shut it off and it may make winter a whole lot colder in our "warmer" world.

Paradoxically, global warming could lead to parts of the Earth experiencing cold temperatures not seen since the height of The Little Ice Age.

Jerk
12/18/2008, 07:10 PM
And do you know why Greenland is called "Greenland"?

Maybe the Vikings were burning coal to power their boats.

Jacie
12/18/2008, 07:18 PM

Yes, it had a climate conducive to farming and fishing. It has even been suggested that the Viking term for America, Vinland, came about because they saw grapes growing in what is now Newfoundland. Since they don't or can't grow there now, it has been problematic to the researchers who think about such things.

Back to Greenland, the climate changed and things kinda fell apart for the people who came to America 500 years before the English, Spanish and Portuguese. They were no longer able to raise sheep nor fish for a living. If things hadn't changed, maybe we'd be speaking norsk instead of english.

Okla-homey
12/18/2008, 07:40 PM
Paradoxically, global warming could lead to parts of the Earth experiencing cold temperatures not seen since the height of The Little Ice Age.

And flying monkeys could launch out of my rectum but that's not very likely either.

12/18/2008, 07:43 PM
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j200/zebthethird/eddiesquid.jpg

12/18/2008, 07:44 PM
...sorry...

my moment....

please forgive me.

Frozen Sooner
12/18/2008, 07:45 PM
1. Eddie face never gets old.

2. Oh, ****! They've discovered our ice-world hideout! Get the A-Wings!

12/18/2008, 07:48 PM
i reduced myself to tears. God Bless Ed Sutton. That was just one of those eddie faces that had me rolling by the end of it. God bless me.

12/18/2008, 07:51 PM
So seriously, what gives with the "knees?" No bones in these dudes... right?

soonerboomer93
12/18/2008, 11:40 PM
heh, I'm working at the yard that's building the platform for perdido

BigRedJed
12/18/2008, 11:56 PM
So seriously, what gives with the "knees?" No bones in these dudes... right?
Geez, do I have to do everything for you?

And whereas giant squid and other cephalopods have eight short arms and two long tentacles, Magnapinna has ten indistinguishable appendages that all appear to be the same length.

"The most peculiar structure is that of the arms," said deep-sea biologist Bruce Robison of the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute in California.

Referring to the way the tentacles hang down from elbow-like kinks, Robison said: "Judging from that structure, we think the animal feeds by dragging its arms and the ends of its tentacles along the seafloor as it drifts slowly above it."

The elbow-like angles allow the tentacles to spread out, perhaps preventing them from getting tangled.

"Imagine spreading the fingers of a hand and dragging the fingertips along the top of a table to grab bits of food," he added.

But NOAA's Vecchione suggests a feeding behavior that is more like trapping than hunting. He speculates that Magnapinna passively waits for prey to bump into the sticky appendages.

12/19/2008, 04:06 AM
Geez, do I have to do everything for you?

So, what's up with the ELBOW-LIKE things... no bones in these dudes, right?

Okla-homey
12/19/2008, 06:23 AM
more like trapping than hunting. He speculates that Magnapinna passively waits for prey to bump into the sticky appendages.

Aww. Just like Sic'em's technique with women.

Viking Kitten
12/19/2008, 08:45 AM
Why are Sicem's appendages sticky?

Wait. Don't answer that.

OKC-SLC
12/19/2008, 09:05 AM
Aww. Just like Sic'em's technique with women.

Actually, I'm quite certain based upon a preponderance of evidence that Sic'em does not have a technique with women.

OklahomaTuba
12/19/2008, 09:15 AM

:texan:

bent rider
12/19/2008, 11:13 AM

Don't think so, but its possible those Norsk reindeer were excessively flatulant.

Collier11
12/19/2008, 11:35 AM
Your dis of "global warming" is an example of a-little-knowledge-can-be-a-dangerous-thing. I heard the same thing on Rush Limbaugh a couple of days ago (it was a guest host sitting in for El Rushbo).

Yes, the phrase "global warming" implies, well pretty much the whole world is going to get warmer. Yes it is but . . .

True, the polar ice caps are melting, that phenomena is well documented. This melting will have effects that are only now being understood and that in a theoretical context at present but I'll try to explain.

It is believed that the polar ice caps are one end of a huge (i.e. global in size) oceanic convection current where heat collected at the equator is exchanged via warm ocean currents, say the Gulf Stream, for cooler water from the poles. This warm water current flowing north along the Eastern Seaboard then across the Atlantic to Europe accounts for the relatively mild (i.e. to it's latitude) climate in England and Northern Europe.

As recently as 300 years ago the Thames River used to freeze over as did the Hudson River here in America. Yes, people could walk from Brooklyn to Manhattan in the winter if Brooklyn had existed then. That is no longer the case. It is believed that a phenomenom called The Little Ice Age was responsible for these extremely cold winter temperatures. The climate of England, Northern Europe and North America has been mild in comparison for the last 150 years.

Now, if the polar ice caps melt due to global warming that really big convection current carrying cool water to the equator in exchange for the warmer water flowing to the north could turn off. If this happens the equatorial region of the Earth will get very warm. However, areas previously warmed by the flow of the Gulf Stream could experience temperature extremes, not only hotter summers but colder winters. The Gulf Stream mitigates or lessens the severity of winter in areas north of 30 degrees latitude. Shut it off and it may make winter a whole lot colder in our "warmer" world.

And Al gore is being sued for lying to the public, global warming is nothing more than a part of the natural earth cycle and is nothing like the horrible disaster waiting to happen that Gore and his cronies described.!

yermom
12/19/2008, 11:51 AM
i'm starting to think that is the Flying Spaghetti Monster

SanJoaquinSooner
12/19/2008, 12:02 PM
Holy Yaki Ika!

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_mbLp4JDZ-jM/Rt8kyxgS97I/AAAAAAAAAWI/YckPnFlmV6g/IMGP0653.JPG

KingBarry
12/19/2008, 02:37 PM
I am unconvinced on "global warming," but am convinced that the mounting and unchecked share of CO2 in the atmosphere cannot be good thing indefinitely.

Nonetheless, I am extremely annoyed by the "greens" claims that an unexpected period of unusually warmd weather is "proof that global warming is real," and that an unexpected period of unusually warm weather is also "proof that global warming is real."

And that a period of very heavy storms is "proof that global warming is real," while an extended period of calm is alsoi "proof that global warming is real."

I mean, come on, if ALL weather conditions of any type are proof positive that global warming is real, then nobody understands anything.

Why can't they just say "This winter's cooler than average temperatures reflect the natural variance in climate, and is not indicative of long-term temperature trends."

If they said that, I'd give them a lot more credibility.

1890MilesToNorman
12/19/2008, 02:50 PM
You have to look further than the Earth to the solar system and the galaxy to know what's going on. The time frame involved for Earth cycles are far beyond our understanding but "they" only focus on man-made crap. Everything we learn leads us to many things we don't know, an answer is thought to solve a question but the answer opens up a hundred more questions. If you think you are a big thinker think again, then think bigger and when you are satisfied think bigger again. Your answers are hundreds if not thousands of years away.

Good luck!

12/19/2008, 02:53 PM
Weather, climate, bla bla bla...

Dude, this thread is about EDDIE'S FACE ON A JELLY FISH!!

soonerscuba
12/19/2008, 03:33 PM
Can't the denialists find one of the other 800 threads on global warming to bitch in? This one features a neato animal, and an Eddie face.

Collier11
12/19/2008, 04:26 PM
how can there be 800 threads about something that doesnt exist?

soonerinabilene
12/20/2008, 01:07 PM
how can there be 800 threads about something that doesnt exist?

The S.O.