PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else worried?

8timechamps
12/18/2008, 10:43 AM
First Murray, then Granger.

I know we have a high powered offense, and playmakers on our jekyll and hyde defense, but I can't get the last few bowl games out of my mind.

I'm sure Gator fans are worried about facing the most prolific offense in the modern era (although, most won't admit it), but I am worried now more than ever. With Murray out, I know Brown can get the job done, and Madu looked like a stud in the CCCG. I also know that we play a lot of guys on the defensive line, so the loss of Grander isn't the end of the world either. But, I just have that feeling.

Things seem to be fitting into place so nicely right now that it makes me nervous.

adoniijahsooner
12/18/2008, 10:49 AM
Unless Stoops comes out and says that Bradford's thumb is healing up nicely, then I am not very concerned about what we can do as a team. The last few bowl games have been about effort and nothing else. You mean to tell me that Last years Pittsburgh team could beat OU, even if we are shorthanded? I believe the fat cats have left OU, and these guys behind sam want to win.

Knippz
12/18/2008, 10:53 AM
I'm not concerned whatsoever. Neither of these guys were there for Mizzou. Granger hasn't been that effective this year, and Murray, while a scare, is somewhat replacable.

soonerfan28
12/18/2008, 10:55 AM
If these injuries had happened in Miami while preparing for the game then maybe, but they have plenty of time to gameplan with the personnel they have.

Hot Rod
12/18/2008, 10:56 AM
Honestly, I'm thrilled for our team! Not worried. Sure we had a down fall against Texas, but we've persevered through a lot of injuries and a loss to be where we are at this moment. Our guys are hungry. They were hungry against a Tech team in a game where it was suppose to be a shoot out. They were hungry against a good OSU team and did what they had to do to get the W in Stoolwater. They were hungry enough to push themselves with the help of Madu and gain another Big XII title. Our team is hungry for this 8th championship. The loss of Murray and Granger are only setbacks from the inevitable!

8timechamps
12/18/2008, 10:58 AM
You mean to tell me that Last years Pittsburgh team could beat OU, even if we are shorthanded?

I never put any faith into this argument. It'd be like saying if Florida beats us, then Mississippi is a better team. Obviously Mississippi isn't the better team, nor was Pittsburgh.

I do agree that the last couple of bowls were determined because of our effort. Maybe we underestimated WVU.

I suppose it's pre-game jitters.

8timechamps
12/18/2008, 10:59 AM
One thing that can't be discounted is that the world thinks we're going to lose. That's always a good thing.

OKC-SLC
12/18/2008, 11:05 AM
I'm concerned about our defense. They have given up points to a lot of teams that are similar but not as good as Florida--good athletic playmaking QBs (OSU, KState, KU, Texas...).

On top of that, our bowl game defensive performances have sucked monkey dong of late.

tbl
12/18/2008, 11:07 AM
I'm always concerned. I take a healthy dose of pessimism into most every game. It's how I roll...

oupride
12/18/2008, 11:11 AM
I had this same "I'm worried" conversation with my best friend last night and he reminded me Auston English will be 100% healthy and Austin Box should be 100% and WILL play. That made me sleep better.

adoniijahsooner
12/18/2008, 11:13 AM
Our defense is going to give some plays, not because they are bad, but because they are an aggressive defense that goes for the big play. One thing that gives me comfort is the fact that we have the ability to make Tebow one dimensional and try to beat us with his arm.

8timechamps
12/18/2008, 11:17 AM
I'm always concerned. I take a healthy dose of pessimism into most every game. It's how I roll...

Yeah, I think that's my method of operation.

swardboy
12/18/2008, 11:19 AM
I felt a lot better when reading that Granger's performance had been steadily falling off over the last half of the season. By that I mean he wasn't a significant factor in our success. Of course I hope a successful return for him next year.

Madu's steady progress has been beautiful to behold. Sure glad he's been used a lot all season. He really came of age in the conference championship game. We'll be fine. Mr. Broyles can make any kick-off exciting.

OKC-SLC
12/18/2008, 11:45 AM
we have the ability to make Tebow one dimensional and try to beat us with his arm.

I hope so. I'm not as sold this D can do that with a QB who's not a dropback type passer. When they can escape a bit of rush and still set up and throw, that's where we run into trouble. DBs can't cover for 7 seconds.

J. Freeman looked like a pro against us.

catsigater
12/18/2008, 11:47 AM
Our defense is going to give some plays, not because they are bad, but because they are an aggressive defense that goes for the big play. One thing that gives me comfort is the fact that we have the ability to make Tebow one dimensional and try to beat us with his arm.

Must be something in that Crimson koolaid. That's exactly what 'Bama thought.

They couldn't make Tebow one-dimensional. And when it counted, he beat them with his arm.

My Opinion Matters
12/18/2008, 11:50 AM
First Murray, then Granger.

I know we have a high powered offense, and playmakers on our jekyll and hyde defense, but I can't get the last few bowl games out of my mind.

I'm sure Gator fans are worried about facing the most prolific offense in the modern era (although, most won't admit it), but I am worried now more than ever. With Murray out, I know Brown can get the job done, and Madu looked like a stud in the CCCG. I also know that we play a lot of guys on the defensive line, so the loss of Grander isn't the end of the world either. But, I just have that feeling.

Things seem to be fitting into place so nicely right now that it makes me nervous.

Are you sure that feeling you have isn't just gas?

It's probably just gas.

Howzit
12/18/2008, 11:52 AM
Nah. It is just Florida.

FirstandGoal
12/18/2008, 11:52 AM
If these injuries had happened in Miami while preparing for the game then maybe, but they have plenty of time to gameplan with the personnel they have.

+1

I honestly believe that if RR had gone done a few days before the Texass game instead of during the second quarter, we would have been able to game plan his absence and would have been able to overcome the adversity.

I think that right now as things stand, we can plug the holes and keep the ship afloat, but anymore key players missing will drive me to drink before this game. :(

adoniijahsooner
12/18/2008, 11:57 AM
Must be something in that Crimson koolaid. That's exactly what 'Bama thought.

They couldn't make Tebow one-dimensional. And when it counted, he beat them with his arm.

His ugly long wind up will only tip off our dbs that he's about to throw. Has Tebow ever pump-faked in his life? We shall see gator, we shall see.:D

boomermagic
12/18/2008, 12:04 PM
We proved against TT that our defense can play lights out football.. We only have to win our next game and we are NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.. We know our offense is great so what are we worried about ? Florida ? Florida sucks..

lexsooner
12/18/2008, 12:05 PM
Has Florida faced our style of no-huddle offense this season? It keeps defenses guessing and substituting more difficult, and sacking Bradford is much more difficult with the short passing element. I can't help but believe absent a lot of turnovers, we will score some points on offense. Someone at work said Bradford has not yet faced strong pressure, but that is easier said than done, given our offensive scheme. The question mark is whether we give up a load of points on D or on special teams.

adoniijahsooner
12/18/2008, 12:12 PM
Has Florida faced our style of no-huddle offense this season? It keeps defenses guessing and substituting more difficult, and sacking Bradford is much more difficult with the short passing element. I can't help but believe absent a lot of turnovers, we will score some points on offense. Someone at work said Bradford has not yet faced strong pressure, but that is easier said than done, given our offensive scheme. The question mark is whether we give up a load of points on D or on special teams.

Florida is not concerned about our offense or anything else we got going on in Norman, Oklahoma. To them we are just a test that God placed in front of them to conquer, so that they can prove to the world that Tebow was brought along for such a time as this. I mean they have jack rabbits, gators, and hurricanes, because tornado wind speeds are too slow.

soonerfan69
12/18/2008, 12:28 PM

don't worry these aren't your grandpa's sooners these are a new breed of sooners

and DAMN thats the most posts i've ever seen on any board!!

do you ever leave the house? :eek:

Knippz
12/18/2008, 12:36 PM
don't worry these aren't your grandpa's sooners these are a new breed of sooners

and DAMN thats the most posts i've ever seen on any board!!

do you ever leave the house? :eek:

Um...Grandpa's Sooners were pretty damned good.

And some people post at their jobs. If you have a desk job, Soonerfans is your savior.

adoniijahsooner
12/18/2008, 12:38 PM

47-0 good!

soonerfan69
12/18/2008, 12:40 PM
yes tradition baby but these sooners are scoring at an astronomical pace and we love both

soonerfan69
12/18/2008, 12:42 PM

And some people post at their jobs. If you have a desk job, Soonerfans is your savior.

no desk job i own a construction business but am home after having surgery on a torn rotator cuff

hntrboomer
12/18/2008, 05:11 PM
You people are a riot.

Delusional; Yes.
Logical; No.

[Iwouldpostalolsmileynowbutthisbackwardsboarddoesnt haveit]

TGB'd

delhalew
12/18/2008, 07:37 PM
Having foreseen this moment, I have watched Florida several times this season. I don't feel like you have watched the Sooners play. I think you are buying your own hype. Of course, we wouldn't have it any other way.

TXBOOMER
12/18/2008, 08:13 PM
I expect a great effort thanks to all of the national disrespect.....keep it coming beeeoches. We will miss both players, hopefully it will motivate others to bring it.

Dan Thompson
12/18/2008, 08:14 PM
What I saw of Florida left me seeing another football team, nothing special, except a QB that tries to carry the team.

OU is another bread on offense. I am reminded of this every time I see a game before this year. We look so much faster, score a 'point a minute', almost like clock work.

I have not seen another team this year that executes like OU.

Ban One Sooner
12/18/2008, 08:22 PM
Granger's absence doesn't worry me too much, but I have a sick feeling in the bottom of my stomach concerning Murray's absence. Probably because we can't replace his quickness/speed at that position. Losing depth at this time of year also concerns me, regardless of position.

delhalew
12/18/2008, 08:25 PM
Granger's absence doesn't worry me too much, but I have a sick feeling in the bottom of my stomach concerning Murray's absence. Probably because we can't replace his quickness/speed at that position. Losing depth at this time of year also concerns me, regardless of position.

I'm just hoping Madu has good enough hands and learn our formation shifts on the fly...things Murray had down pat.

Kels
12/19/2008, 05:58 AM
You can't replace the #3 offensive player in the nation. Madu will do a great job, but he's no Murray.

The match-up problems we created in the no huddle with Murray were wicked, imo. We'll see if Madu can split out and execute on the short routes like Murray. Going from power to spread with the same personnel gave us the advantage all season.

To reiterate what has been said before, the same offensive genius who designed this system does have 3 1/2 weeks to make adjustments without Murray. I like our chances.

MojoRisen
12/19/2008, 07:50 AM
Madu does have the ability to do what Murray did Formation wise, He is also capable of busting some runs/passes! Murray when on, seemed to make these things look easy, ie Tech, Okie St - 20-25 yards on little swing plays were common.

Broyles will also need to get some more touches to make up for it.. He as well is capable of breaking some. He is shifty and quick, I think top end speed is solid but not quite murray fast same for Madu.

I wonder if we would swing broyles out of the backfeild??

coldblooded
12/19/2008, 07:53 AM
I'm not concerned whatsoever. Neither of these guys were there for Mizzou. Granger hasn't been that effective this year, and Murray, while a scare, is somewhat replacable.

So seriously......you are comparing Florida's threat to your team to Mizzou?
I sure hope all your coaches and players agree with you!!
Mizzou is about on par with Arkansas this year......on a good day in Mizzou.

coldblooded
12/19/2008, 07:57 AM
His ugly long wind up will only tip off our dbs that he's about to throw. Has Tebow ever pump-faked in his life? We shall see gator, we shall see.:D

That's funny!! Not only does he "pump fake", he "jump fakes". Obviously you don't wach much football. Beware of what you cannot believe.

coldblooded
12/19/2008, 08:18 AM
I'm concerned about our defense. They have given up points to a lot of teams that are similar but not as good as Florida--good athletic playmaking QBs (OSU, KState, KU, Texas...).

On top of that, our bowl game defensive performances have sucked monkey dong of late.

If you guys think you have seen "good, athletic playmakers" at OSU, KState
and KU..........honestly, you are in for a real shock when the Gators roll in.
Texas, I agree, has some talent. (But....look how that worked out for you) The overall skill and speed of Florida, however, I believe to be the best in the country this year. (Check the Olympic Trial sprint times against UF's 40yd times) Even our 240lb QB is amazingly fast.
Defensively....."monkey dong sucking" is not going to help you. We put up 31 on one of the top (smash-mouth) defenses in the nation in the SECCG.....
so we have requested that the Miami stadium scoreboard be modified to allow triple digits in the points field.
[iwouldinsertaLOLsmileyherebutthispatheticboarddoes n'thaveone]

gatorsownu2
12/19/2008, 08:54 AM
http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20081218/NEWS/812180927/1090?Title=Streaking_to_a_BCS_collision

Check out these stats. Pretty intresting huh?

OKC-SLC
12/19/2008, 08:57 AM
If you guys think you have seen "good, athletic playmakers" at OSU, KState
and KU..........honestly, you are in for a real shock when the Gators roll in.
Texas, I agree, has some talent. (But....look how that worked out for you) The overall skill and speed of Florida, however, I believe to be the best in the country this year. (Check the Olympic Trial sprint times against UF's 40yd times) Even our 240lb QB is amazingly fast.
Defensively....."monkey dong sucking" is not going to help you. We put up 31 on one of the top (smash-mouth) defenses in the nation in the SECCG.....
so we have requested that the Miami stadium scoreboard be modified to allow triple digits in the points field.
[iwouldinsertaLOLsmileyherebutthispatheticboarddoes n'thaveone]

I even heard the Gators were leading the NFC East. I think you're right--we don't have a chance and should just cancel the game. I'll call Stoops.

Seriously--Olympic Trial sprint times? Could there be a more meaningless stat for this game? If your players are so skilled and untouchable, how in the HELL did Miss beat you? Seriously.

Crimsontothecore
12/19/2008, 09:09 AM
I even heard the Gators were leading the NFC East. I think you're right--we don't have a chance and should just cancel the game. I'll call Stoops.

Seriously--Olympic Trial sprint times? Could there be a more meaningless stat for this game? If your players are so skilled and untouchable, how in the HELL did Miss beat you? Seriously.

They must have been better than those "top (smash mouth) defenses in the nation":rolleyes:

OUAlumni1990
12/19/2008, 09:46 AM

Don't forget that Ole Miss loss was an unranked team AT FLORIDA. Meanwhile, tebow cried his little eyes out after the loss. Something about Tebow and Chase Daniel remind me of each other...

tbl
12/19/2008, 01:32 PM

If anybody believes I've posted over a millions times, they're insane.