PDA

View Full Version : hmmm....defense vs. offense

OU_Sooners75
12/18/2008, 07:43 AM
I know, I know...just repeating....however, the more and more I look at all the stats I find it interesting how anyone can say that the SEC, in particular Florida, has a distinct advantage on defense, when speaking of their opposition averages.

Now the following stats are including the opponents averages for the entire season, not just when they played Florida or Oklahoma.
.....................................Defense...... ..........................................Offense
Team......|..Total Plays..|..Plays/game..|..Yards/play..|..Total Plays..|..Plays/game..|..Yards/play..|
Florida.....|.......812......|......62.48......|.. ...5.30......|.......774.......|......59.52......| .....5.32......|
.................................................. .................................................. ................................
Oklahoma.|.......795......|......61.19......|..... 5.16......|.......826.......|......63.51......|... ..5.64......|

What does this tell us?

Florida's opponents defenses have faced 17 more plays than Oklahoma's opponents defenses have. Which is just over 1 play/game more.
Florida's opponents defenses have allowed 5.30 yards/play. That is 0.14 yards/play more than Oklahoma's opponents defenses have allowed.
Oklahoma's opponents offenses have ran an average of 52 more plays than Florida's opponents offenses have. Or just about 4 plays/game more.
Oklahoma's opponents offenses have averaged 5.64 yards/play. That is 0.32 yards/play more than Florida's opponents offenses have averaged.

Looking at these little bit of numbers, it does not seem that Florida has played the much better defenses, while playing significant worse offenses.

I know stats mean very little, but they are fun to play around with. :D

Redshirt
12/18/2008, 12:52 PM
Seems like that EVERY GAME... Our defense vs their offense, then they switch...