PDA

View Full Version : Will Stoops change our bowl preperation this year?

RoaminSooner
12/17/2008, 08:46 PM
Something hasn't been working 4 of the last 5 January's...obviously.

Any word or theories on changes that should or will be made for the Sooners bowl game prep? It's about time we show up and play our bowl games with the same intensity and execution as we consistantly show during the regular season.

1. We try Texas approach of hard work through the holiday.

2. The loose approach of SC which is focused but unintense

3. ___any thoughts?________________________________

delhalew
12/17/2008, 08:53 PM
Not being a heavy favorite in a bowl that we can't help but consider the consolation prize, is a good start.

JLEW1818
12/17/2008, 10:09 PM
Not being a heavy favorite in a bowl that we can't help but consider the consolation prize, is a good start.

yep

Crucifax Autumn
12/17/2008, 10:15 PM
That's a definite help.

And the team seems to be more focused than past teams, so they'll probably respond well even to the same prep, and I personally believe Bob will push even harder to keep them focused than in the past.

Besides, should be easy enough to line the locker room with dumb comments from gaytor players to keep our guys angry.

And hungry for some of that stuff in my sig...

HBick
12/17/2008, 10:20 PM
Well almost every starter on the field has had to suffer through WVU and Boise State as a starter or a backup. They have a fire, an intensity that show itself for the first time against Tech. I think we will see it again come January 8th.

VA Sooner
12/17/2008, 10:22 PM
Need to be the underdogs... like we were in 2000. Being heavily favored makes the team too lax.

Focus, play with intensity, come in as the underdogs, and don't steal any damn coats.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/17/2008, 10:29 PM
according to what I've heard, the entire staff had a 6 hour meeting right after the Fiesta Bowl last year to discuss doing it different..hopefully they stick to whatever they talked about in the meeting

oumartin
12/17/2008, 10:30 PM
well the coat stealing shouldn't happen since he will be on the mend from his back surgery

Crucifax Autumn
12/17/2008, 10:32 PM
Hope he didn't steal anything from the OR!

Boomer Mooner
12/17/2008, 10:38 PM
I remember when everyone thought Florida State was going to kick our *** when we won number 7.

We have always played the big games well when we were considered the underdogs. I hope the Florida players keep saying stupid chit any time a reporter is around too.

Crucifax Autumn
12/17/2008, 11:25 PM
Yep, keep it up braniacs!

o0Dan0o
12/17/2008, 11:49 PM
The last two, or really three, years I think the team has lacked a true leader. Three years ago it was bomar, then Thompson came back in and really did a great job, but that fiesta bowl the team just didn't get started until the second half. Last year was Bradford's first, and as a freshman he wasn't yet the leader of the team and no one else stepped up.

This year I think Bradford has fill in that role, and I think this team will be well motivated for the game.
Dan

OU-HSV
12/17/2008, 11:58 PM
The guys on the radio today talked about this topic.
They said after the loss to W VGA, all the coaching staff had a closed door meeting that lasted like 6 to 8 hours straight. They were supposedly talking about all of this...what things can be done differently in preparation, etc. Let's hope they came up with a notebook full of new ways to get the team 100% ready for this game.
I'm hopeful that they did because not only would it be great to get another National Title....but I really feel like this game is much bigger than just "this game". (If that makes any sense)
I think if we were to lose this game...a lot more bad will come from it than just not having that National Title.

Crucifax Autumn
12/18/2008, 01:48 AM
I have to agree with that assessment.

SoonerLB
12/18/2008, 01:57 AM
The biggest share of the blame for that unacceptable performance goes to the players, period! When stealing coats, copping attitudes, and not caring take over, it's hard for any coach or staff of coaches to overcome it.

I hope I never see another Sooner team quit like that bunch did, what an embarassment to the Sooner Nation. As was said above, this year seems like a completely different team, and they are playing like it. If they stay focused, and don't commit stupid mistakes, they can go all the way.

OK2U
12/18/2008, 02:14 AM
Should we introduce some new wrinkles into the offense?
Seems like we've been pretty consistent throughout the year.
This might be the time for some imaginative play-calling

Crucifax Autumn
12/18/2008, 02:34 AM
I'm sure there will be a thing or two...assuming we're not up 35-0 after the 1st quarter.

MamaMia
12/18/2008, 02:35 AM
I just hope the players limit their carb intake to 2 days before the game. Too many carbs make you sluggish. :pop:

Crucifax Autumn
12/18/2008, 03:45 AM
Good think I don't play I'd have to drink that michelob ultra ****!

HiFiGator
12/18/2008, 05:36 AM
I remember when everyone thought Florida State was going to kick our *** when we won number 7.

We have always played the big games well when we were considered the underdogs. I hope the Florida players keep saying stupid chit any time a reporter is around too.

Funny you should mention that ... I also remember when no one was giving us a chance against the "mighty," undefeated Buckeyes. We too, were getting a good bit of points. Another similarity, and one which holds a special place in my wallet ... err ... heart, is that I was ... shall we say, "financially rewarded" for my position on both games. I look for yet another timely windfall ... even more appreciated, what with the current economy and all.

In all seriousness, the only thing more amusing than shutting out a team for the Natty Tite, is winning and holding them to 2 points. Hats off for that win!

Wasn't it 13-2? That was awesome. For the record, I am not a Sooner fan in the least. But anyone who lines up against the absolute scum of the earth, known as FSU, is ok in my book. But don't let that go to your head.

We aren't FSU.

OU_Sooners75
12/18/2008, 06:27 AM
Wasn't it 13-2? That was awesome. For the record, I am not a Sooner fan in the least. But anyone who lines up against the absolute scum of the earth, known as FSU, is ok in my book. But don't let that go to your head.

We aren't FSU.

Nor are we tOSU.