PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Bowl Question

mattlewis
12/17/2008, 12:22 PM
I am from the other university, and I was curious as to what some of the activities some of you guys enjoyed when in San Diego.

I live in LA, and know my way around San Diego a little and Baja Mexico. Usually though San Diego is pitstop for gasoline and a sandwich.

What did you guys dig?

humblesooner
12/17/2008, 12:26 PM
OU has only been once recently.
You probably need to be asking that question on the Whorn board!!
:D

SbOrOiNaEnR
12/17/2008, 12:28 PM
When the Pride (OU's marching band) was there in 2005, we stayed in the Gaslamp District at a real swanky hotel...lots to see and do there. Great places to eat, including my first experience of Dick's Last Resort (I know it's a chain, but as I was entirely unfamiliar with it at the time, hilarity ensued). We did a concert at the USS Nimitz, and then toured the USS Midway on the other side of the harbor (which was really cool if you're into historical, WW2-type stuff). We spent a whopping 2 hours at the zoo, which kind of pissed off most of the band (myself included), so I'd recommend spending at least a full day there, even though I've personally seen better zoos before. The Holiday Bowl Parade itself would be pretty cool to see if you don't have to march in it.

I know I mostly mentioned just the touristy stuff, but since it was my first and only trip to San Diego thus far, I really enjoyed it. Hope it helps!

OUMallen
12/17/2008, 12:44 PM
OU has only been once recently.
You probably need to be asking that question on the Whorn board!!
:D

That's what I was thinking. We don't go there with the frequency required to be area-knowledgeable.

SbOrOiNaEnR
12/17/2008, 12:48 PM
Ask Barry Sanders ;)

mattlewis
12/17/2008, 12:57 PM
When the Pride (OU's marching band) was there in 2005, we stayed in the Gaslamp District at a real swanky hotel...lots to see and do there. Great places to eat, including my first experience of Dick's Last Resort (I know it's a chain, but as I was entirely unfamiliar with it at the time, hilarity ensued). We did a concert at the USS Nimitz, and then toured the USS Midway on the other side of the harbor (which was really cool if you're into historical, WW2-type stuff). We spent a whopping 2 hours at the zoo, which kind of pissed off most of the band (myself included), so I'd recommend spending at least a full day there, even though I've personally seen better zoos before. The Holiday Bowl Parade itself would be pretty cool to see if you don't have to march in it.

I know I mostly mentioned just the touristy stuff, but since it was my first and only trip to San Diego thus far, I really enjoyed it. Hope it helps!

much appreciated

fadada1
12/17/2008, 12:59 PM
i did some time in coronado (mostly on the beach). cool town. stay at the hotel del coronado - bring your credit card.

badger
12/17/2008, 01:06 PM
I am from the other university, and I was curious as to what some of the activities some of you guys enjoyed when in San Diego.

I highly recommend the USS Midway tour if you're into museums or military stuff, because they actually have veterans that served on that ship there to answer questions about it (prepare for funny stories).

My parents said they liked that better than Pasadena, because of the coastline atmosphere and all.

Dan Thompson
12/17/2008, 01:08 PM
The 2 hour harbor tour is good. You can catch the boat just North of the Midway. There is also a Russian sub behind the Star of India sailing ship, which happened to carry lumber from the Pacific Northwest to So Cal.

If you want to see a very large model train layout, go to Balboa Park, it is in the basement of one of the buildings there. Here is the link http://www.sdmrm.org/

There is also a car museum and a muesum of flight close by in Balboa Park.

oupride
12/17/2008, 01:30 PM
Coronado does not consider itself part of San Diego tho.

mattlewis
12/17/2008, 07:50 PM
actually got a pal from high school that lives on Coronado Island, it's beautiful there.

thanks for the tips on the museums and naval stuff.

goingoneight
12/17/2008, 07:53 PM
www.hornfans.com

SoonerMom2
12/17/2008, 08:15 PM
Go to the zoo, Sea World, and they have an AWESOME mall downtown. I would take the Harbor Cruise. Bring plenty of money as the Zoo is expensive compared to others. Sea World when we were there was more reasonable. Also liked Old Town San Diego. Be neat if one of the carriers returned during the Bowl season.

BoomerSoonerGoOU
12/17/2008, 09:00 PM

Wasn't it awesome walking around in our f-ing uniforms all day in San Diego? We looked like tools.

HBick
12/17/2008, 09:55 PM

I live in LA, and know my way around San Diego a little and Baja Mexico. Usually though San Diego is pitstop for gasoline and a sandwich.

What did you guys dig?

Enjoy, arguably, the best climate in the world. When we were there last I had just turned 18, and this kind of limited my activities. But I would recommend looking at the whorn boards as suggested, or just enjoying the beach which is what I did during the day.

Enjoying the beach = drinking before noon

And children, I do NOT encourage, support, or in any way endorse underage drinking. ;)