PDA

View Full Version : FLA corner gives us more bulletin board material

CaliBornSoonerBred
12/17/2008, 11:51 AM
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/ufblog/entries/2008/12/17/haden_defense_not_impressed_by.html

Haden, defense not impressed by Oklahoma’s offense
By Ben Volin | Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 08:44 AM

Oklahoma led the nation in scoring offense this year, averaging 54 points over 13 games.

The Sooners were the first team to crack 700 points (702) since 1904. Their quarterback won the Heisman Trophy, their offensive guard is a First Team All American and they have scored 60 points in five straight games.

Consider cornerback Joe Haden unimpressed.

“They haven’t played against us,” he said Tuesday. “Our team looks like they haven’t put 60 points up on us. Nobody puts 60 points up on us. So we feel like if we come out and play at the top of our ability, nobody should be able to score that many points.”

The Gators are No. 9 in the country in total defense (279.31 yards per game), No. 5 in scoring defense (12.8 points per game) and No. 2 in turnover margin (plus-22 …… coincidentally, Oklahoma is No. 1 at plus-23).

Haden didn’t say it directly, but implied that the Big 12 defenses can’t compare to Florida and the SEC.

“It’s a challenge for them to come against us, honestly, because they haven’t seen a defense like us,” he said. “With the speed and the physical play and just knowing our assignments and just flying around. They probably played some good defenses, but our defense is definitely one of the top.”

Haden said he doesn’t mind that much of the focus will be on the teams’ high-scoring offenses.

“We really know it’s about the defenses,” he said. “Which ever defense is going to step up, that’s who most likely is going to come out on top.”

Knippz
12/17/2008, 11:54 AM
I know that Tebow gave our defense material to go and f*ck sh*t up, but now they want a death wish. Really?!!

soonerfan715
12/17/2008, 11:57 AM
I hope every OU defensive player has this article posted in their lockers for added motivation.

Knippz
12/17/2008, 12:00 PM
On a side note, has anyone seen any stories whatsoever that has any of our players doubting or saying anything negative about Florida?

soonerfan715
12/17/2008, 12:08 PM
Of course not. Stoops would flip out!

adoniijahsooner
12/17/2008, 12:09 PM
On a side note, has anyone seen any stories whatsoever that has any of our players doubting or saying anything negative about Florida?

they don't exist.

oupride
12/17/2008, 12:10 PM
"We have two guys playing the best football of their careers ... Who's better? Joe Haden or Janoris Jenkins? I don't think we're where we're at right now (without them). They're both very functional guys. You talk about your quarterback. We've got our quarterback. I've got my two cornerbacks, too. I've got two of them." -Urban Meyer, Miami Herald

fadada1
12/17/2008, 12:11 PM
if our guys need any more motivation than actually playing in a national championship game, i'd be worried. and a second to knippz question - my guess is that stoops and co. have put a moratorium on saying anything to anybody about anything relating to the gators. we'll settle it all on the field.

Paperclip
12/17/2008, 12:11 PM
He didn't say we couldn't score in the 50s. :)

The Maestro
12/17/2008, 12:12 PM
I hope we score 59. Then interview the guy and he might dance around like that Texas A&M player when they "stopped us" up 77-0.

Idiot. "No one scores 60 on us!" Holmes, it won't take that much to beat you, but whatever makes you feel accomplished!

mustangsooner
12/17/2008, 12:17 PM
If OU can score 60 on the gators then they definately do not deserve to be playing in this game. Nothing against our offense but they should be able to slow down OUr offense a little. With that being said OU wins 61-27.

P.S. BOOOOOOMEEEERR Billy.

mustangsooner
12/17/2008, 12:18 PM
If OU can score 60 on the gators then they definately do not deserve to be playing in this game. Nothing against our offense but they should be able to slow down OUr offense a little. With that being said OU wins 61-27.

P.S. BOOOOOOMEEEERR Billy.

fadada1
12/17/2008, 12:18 PM
He didn't say we couldn't score in the 50s. :)

or the 70s for that matter.

Position Limit
12/17/2008, 12:20 PM
he's right. nobody scores 60 on the gaytors. so lets just make it 61.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/17/2008, 12:22 PM
My God this is an epidemic. They're getting it in their heads that not only are they better than us, we aren't any good at all. That's never a good thing for a team. Yeah, you should believe your defense is better and that you can and will stop them, but you better believe their accomplishments and take them (our offense) as a serious threat.

I've never read a player beat his own chest like that. Um, hello, your name isn't Lee Corso, you don't need to analyze your on the field performances and talk about your speed and ability to "fly around the field" ... LMAO, just lmao.

Knippz
12/17/2008, 12:27 PM
I just can't wait until we beat Florida State.

...oops, I mean Florida.

G8trGr8t
12/17/2008, 01:09 PM
What is the best defense Oklahoma has faced this year? TCU?

TCU does not have nearly the athletes that UF does.

Texas is ranked 50th in defense and they held OU to 35 points with a healthy Murray and Texas does not have the defensive backfield that UF does.

What makes you think that if you could not score 40 on UT or TCU, you can hang 60 on the Gators?

It isn't that they disrespect OU, they just are not going to go to a corner and wimper and hope to not get hurt too bad though. THey are confident in their ability to play ball with anybody. I would expect that OU feels the same way.

As others have said, if you need motivation from some journalist wanting to get attention for a headline, Stoops isn't doing his job.

UF 41 - 30

catsigater
12/17/2008, 01:11 PM

Texas is ranked 50th in defense and they held OU to 35 points with a healthy Murray and Texas does not have the defensive backfield that UF does.

What makes you think that if you could not score 40 on UT or TCU, you can hang 60 on the Gators?

It isn't that they disrespect OU, they just are not going to go to a corner and wimper and hope to not get hurt too bad though. THey are confident in their ability to play ball with anybody. I would expect that OU feels the same way.

As others have said, if you need motivation from some journalist wanting to get attention for a headline, Stoops isn't doing his job.

UF 41 - 30

Hey Gr8t! You're taking my shtick. Good job, though.

Dan Thompson
12/17/2008, 01:15 PM
H*ll, I am not evern going to watch the game, we are doomed.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/17/2008, 01:16 PM
this is what makes me proud of what our coach has done here over the last 10 seasons. I can recall one time that a player said something about the other team that someone could say was "bulletin board" stuff and that player was reprimanded rather quickly.

One way or the other, its just not smart. What good does it do to say something to a media person about the team your gonna face?

NYC Poke
12/17/2008, 01:19 PM
Is it something in the water that endows the Southeastern part of the United States with all that speed? Why does it stop at the Arkansas/Oklahoma and Louisiana/Texas borders?

SoonerAtKU
12/17/2008, 01:29 PM
Wait a minute...Florida plays with TWO cornerbacks? Why even show up in Miami?

catsigater
12/17/2008, 01:30 PM
Here's why:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=adelson/070416

Down the road from Pahokee, the sun sets and the wind picks up, tickling the white, feathery tops of cane stalks that blanket the land. Against the darkness of the surrounding crops, the glare of Glades Central High's stadium lights makes its track look like a stage on the moon.

This is where Fred Taylor and Santonio Holmes started their run to the NFL, and from where 28 graduates have gone on to pro football careers in the past 29 years.

Eight more Glades Central players signed D1 letters of intent in February, including the top wideout in Florida, Deonte Thompson, who'll be one of Meyer's Gators soon. "This is the fastest place in the entire country," Meyer said on his last visit. Is it because of what's in those cane fields? He wants to know too...

In the distance, Tony has spotted a rabbit and is on the move.

He crouches low like a soldier behind a turret, reaching around his back to keep his sweatpants from falling down as he jumps softly from one row of mud to the next.

Even though the land is burned and barren, the muck still gives and grabs as if it rained the night before. The rabbit's ears perk up, and it takes off, leaping high and stretching its legs farther with each bound.

Tony breaks into full stride, hands splayed and tense. Trailing the creature, his eyes riveted to its every move, he notices the rabbit has a lighter shade of fur. Then he sees a brief fleck of white. It's a cottontail.

Tony forces the rabbit onto the dike. He knows the cottontail won't run all the way into the lake, so he waits at the bottom, stays in his crouch and tries not to blink. He knows the rabbit has to come down, and when it does, he knows it will come down fast.

A split second later, the rabbit makes its move, flying down the hill -- and right at a moving hauler. Tony explodes too, his sweatpants barely hanging on, elbows crooked and head still, just like Charles taught him. The rabbit ducks under the front axle of the hauler, and suddenly Tony is running full speed at a moving vehicle.

When the driver slams on the brakes, Tony leaps between the truck's cab and the trailing cage, plants one foot on the truck's bed and hurdles to the other side. The chase continues.

The rabbit has safety in sight. It scurries over a precipice and into the canal. Tony sees its tiny head bobbing in the water eight feet below, not far from where he saw the gator.

He takes another step, leaves the ground, pulls his feet up under him and drops into the water. A second passes, then another, and Tony emerges, climbing out of the mire, covered in mud, grabbing firm ground with his left hand, holding the cottontail with his right. He flashes that lopsided smile. His eyes gleam.

In Muck City, the children have nervously followed their fathers and grandfathers into the mud and the fire and emerged with a fearlessness that most of us cannot understand. Soon we will gather in front of our televisions and watch receivers run over the middle and linebackers dive headfirst at loose footballs.

We will tell ourselves we could do this too, if we were paid millions, or if we were famous, or if we took steroids.

But we'll forget how the game of football is born out of hunger, and courage, and desperation, and community, and hope. And how sometimes it's played in spite of everything else.

The proof is tucked away, far from our malls and mansions, in the endless fields by Lake Okeechobee, where the land burns and the rabbits run.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/0416/rabbit_3_195.jpghttp://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/0416/rabbit_1_195.jpg

Skysooner
12/17/2008, 01:34 PM

UF 41 - 30

TCU is ranked 2nd in both scoring defense and yards allowed. They give up an average of 10.9 points a game, and we scored 35 on them. They give up 215 yards/game, and we put up 436 on them. They allow 49 yards rushing/game and 166 yards passing/game. They gave up 8 TDs on the year through the air. OU "managed" 40 yards rushing (they stacked the line the whole game), 411 yards passing and 4 TDs through the air. That is half of the total they gave up all year through the air and that includes undefeated Utah.

You haven't faced the likes of the offense, and nothing you can do can really prepare you for it.

Widescreen
12/17/2008, 01:35 PM

A healthy Murray? Either you've been listening to Texas fans or you weren't paying attention. Murray hasn't been healthy until about the last 5 games of the season. But go ahead and continue to believe that. In this case it doesn't matter since Murray won't even be playing. Wait, are you going to say he's "healthy but not playing"?

GG84
12/17/2008, 01:38 PM
Is it still bulletin board material if a former player is the one talking trash?

Harvey said he has no regrets about leaving UF a year early but says he still keeps tabs on his old teammates, especially the young defensive linemen that he helped mentor last year.

"They're doing way better," he said. "They learned from last year and they're playing fast and furious."

Harvey still gets a smile on his face when asked about his performance against former Ohio State quarterback Troy Smith in the 2007 BCS title game. His three sacks and fumble recovery have become legendary with Gator fans, but he thinks he could have fared even better against Oklahoma's Sam Bradford.

"Oh man," Harvey joked. "I'd have like five sacks and three forced fumbles on that guy.

odern
12/17/2008, 01:43 PM
TCU is ranked 2nd in both scoring defense and yards allowed. They give up an average of 10.9 points a game, and we scored 35 on them. They give up 215 yards/game, and we put up 436 on them. They allow 49 yards rushing/game and 166 yards passing/game. They gave up 8 TDs on the year through the air. OU "managed" 40 yards rushing (they stacked the line the whole game), 411 yards passing and 4 TDs through the air. That is half of the total they gave up all year through the air and that includes undefeated Utah.

You haven't faced the likes of the offense, and nothing you can do can really prepare you for it.

I am not sure I would call a TCU win a success, when TCU's biggest victory came from an untested Utah team.

TCU's Schedule:

@ New Mexico
9/06 Stephen F. Austin
9/13 Stanford
9/20 @ Southern Methodist
9/27 @ No. 2 Oklahoma
10/04 San Diego State
10/11 @ Colorado State
10/16 No. 9 Brigham Young
10/25 Wyoming 8-1
11/01 @ UNLV 9-1
11/06 @ No. 8 Utah
11/22 Air Force

primetime43
12/17/2008, 01:46 PM

Let me guess Ole Miss doesn't have nearly the athletes that UF has either right?

primetime43
12/17/2008, 01:46 PM

But I forgot they are in the SEC so they get a pass.

G8trGr8t
12/17/2008, 01:53 PM

TCU did that against the 42nd ranked SOS. UF has 3rd SOS and the UF defense has better athletes than TCU and much better corners than UT.

We will not have to stack the box to contain the run. Our front 4 and LB's can handle the run just fine.

Uf defense faces the UF offense everyday in practice so they have seen an offense as good as OU.

Has OU ever seen the kind of speed that Percy, Demps, Rainey, ...... bring. You cannot be ready for it if you have not practiced agaisnt it. You may think you have an angle, and then oh crap. Ask OSU.

This is going to be a long two weeks.

G8trGr8t
12/17/2008, 01:54 PM

TCU did that against the 42nd ranked SOS. UF has 3rd SOS and the UF defense has better athletes than TCU and much better corners than UT.

We will not have to stack the box to contain the run. Our front 4 and LB's can handle the run just fine.

Uf defense faces the UF offense everyday in practice so they have seen an offense as good as OU.

Has OU ever seen the kind of speed that Percy, Demps, Rainey, ...... bring. You cannot be ready for it if you have not practiced agaisnt it. You may think you have an angle, and then oh crap. Ask OSU.

G8trGr8t
12/17/2008, 01:55 PM

Knippz
12/17/2008, 01:57 PM
Gator fans' arguments are as bad as Texass'. Amazing, I never thought it could happen.

Knippz
12/17/2008, 01:59 PM

Oh God, with the speed again. We're going to tear your secondary apart, no doubt about it. Do you really think Spikes can cover Gresham? :pop:

CatfishSooner
12/17/2008, 02:00 PM
I'm sick of flor...can't f'n wait for the game....we kill

Hot Rod
12/17/2008, 02:00 PM
But I forgot they are in the SEC so they get a pass.

Funny how they turn things around to benefit them as well. I see the patterns.

primetime43
12/17/2008, 02:01 PM

You better hope you can stop the run and not have to stack the box because I can promise that you haven't seen a quarterback like Sam Bradford in the offensively challenged SEC.

Funky G
12/17/2008, 02:05 PM

UF 41 - 30

I don't think any OU fan thinks we will score 60pts. Rather, we are noticing a lack of respect from the national media regarding the Big 12 defenses. Personally, I like the fact that all the bulletin board material, trash talk, and negativity is coming from the Gators and the media. For once, we are underdogs and will hopefully use that as motivation.

OU 42 UF 41

fadada1
12/17/2008, 02:08 PM

crabtree is slow, dez bryant (osu) can't run, hunter (RB at osu) couldn't run out of sight in a day, none of the big12 QBs are worth a sh*t, maclin (mizzou) is freaking horrible....

boys, i think we might be in trouble with all this speed we've never seen.

ADs_Agent
12/17/2008, 02:11 PM
OU Offense > UF Offense, UF Defense > OU Defense

OU gets 4 stops on UF, they win. This offense can't be touched, maybe when your cornerbacks are having to trot back to the 30 yard line to pick up their lost jocks, they'll understand.

We are Oklahoma, we're coming, and hell's coming w/ us.

primetime43
12/17/2008, 02:11 PM
Guys I'm confused?? Are we playing for a national title in football or a gold medal in track and field?

Knippz
12/17/2008, 02:13 PM
I can't wait until Quinton Carter gives Harvin a lick like he did Maclin. I hope the media gets a picture of Florida fans' faces when it happens. :D

Crucifax Autumn
12/17/2008, 02:13 PM
The rabbit ducks under the front axle of the hauler, and suddenly Tony is running full speed at a moving vehicle.

So Florida's gonna kick our *** because a bunch of backwoods morons think playing in the street is a good idea?

perculator
12/17/2008, 02:15 PM
:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:
excuse me while i fart in your general direction

illinisooner
12/17/2008, 02:18 PM
The whole "speed" argument is worthless to begin with. If the NFL is all about physicality and speed, then how come Ohio St, OU, Texas, etc send just as many players to the NFL as the SEC teams? It's called gameplanning and overall depth (maybe), but the OSU or OU starters are just as talented as any SEC team. Especially juggernauts like Ole Miss and South Carolina.

CaliBornSoonerBred
12/17/2008, 02:19 PM
I can't believe it, we shouldn't even show up. I mean hell, Broyles, Juaquin, Manny, Gresh, CB, and all OUr guys are slower than Christmas. We've never seen anyone in practice with Harvin's speed, he's supposedly a demi-God. Demarco must be a slug because seeing him in practice for the better part of 2 years can't help us OUt against these boys from the swamp. Oh wait, didn't FSU have the same sort of arguments??? Well, that worked OUt so we may as well show up to see what happens but these SEC teams are just monsters according to anyone outside of the Sooner Nation. The big 12 overall must not have any speed at all. Dez, Crabtree, and the other guys are just horrible.

And while we are on scores
OU 45
fla 27

Wishboned
12/17/2008, 02:21 PM
So Florida's gonna kick our *** because a bunch of backwoods morons think playing in the street is a good idea?

Shhh, be vewy, vewy quiet. They're hunting wabbits.

adoniijahsooner
12/17/2008, 02:22 PM
Reading about how fast the gators are has actually given me a headache. "Florida is fast, you have never seen our speed, except on discovery channel, and nasa liftoffs." Demps, Rainey, and harvin are excellent players, and worthy of the praise and reach arounds they receive daily from the media and fans; but like someone said before, it is poor employment to belittle another team and repeatedly say that oklahoma is not good. I record and watch every team that our team plays prior to the game, and the one team I watched that concerned me was texas. Not because of speed, or colt mccoy, but because I watched Roy Miller and Brian Orakpo push the Colorado offensive line 10 yards into the backfield on nearly every play, and upon seeing that I was concerned. I still thought we would win, but I was concerned. Now to Florida. I have watched you guys play Alabama twice, and I do not see one thing that concerns me from a scheme or execution standpoint, With the notable exception being special teams. i have watched tim tebow throw the ball and your receivers adjust and make circus catches to bail him out. I also saw your d-line get manhandled by a o-line that is good at run blocking and average at passing. I still believe anything can happen in a game that takes place a month after the season ends, but I honestly doubt that the OKLAHOMA SOONERS football team is watching film and renting jack rabbits in order to simulate the speed they will see on Jan 8. In fact we played against Jamaal Charles who possesses track speed as well; which really doesn't matter unless someone breaks free with no one in front of him. A 10.0 100m is really good, but those races are won after the first 60m, by the person who decelerates the least. Please stop with the speed arguments, teams get beat by a team with less speed than them every year, and most of the time it's because they are so jacked up listening to another team tell them that they shouldn't be on the same field with them.

Skysooner
12/17/2008, 02:28 PM
Yes, the Florida body of work is sooooo impressive.

2 wins (#4 and #15) against the BCS top 25 and 1 loss (at home to #25)

Us, 5 wins against the BCS top 25 (#7, #11, #12, #13 and #21) and 1 loss (#3).

GrowlinGator
12/17/2008, 05:00 PM
I don't want to get into the speed argument, but if we're giving score predictions - UF 35 OU 24. Well under the scoring average for both teams. I think your defense is a good bit better than it gets credit for, but your offense isn't anywhere close to the "Greatest Show on Turf" Rams reincarnate that you think it is (although it is good).

Bourbon St Sooner
12/17/2008, 06:11 PM
We're going to have to run now.

Next you'll be telling me we have to lift weights to win this game.

SailorCowboy
12/17/2008, 07:17 PM
Just to stir the pot between you teams...here is nationalchamps.net's preview of the 2009 season. Your both expected to be in the top 4. Think the SEC bias doesn't show? Florida I hate OU, just as much if not more than you guys hate Bama, but OU is going to prison rape you guys in January. Bama preseason #2, give me a break. You guys beat them, so they can't be any good. Sooners, they got the shortwhorns #3. I smell another airplane flyby! 45-35, don't forget us again!

http://www.nationalchamps.net/2009/earlybird/index.htm

itsok
12/17/2008, 07:41 PM
OU had Adrian Peterson 1.5 years ago...
none in the UF team can touch him...
good enough?

delhalew
12/17/2008, 08:08 PM
Gators...There is nothing you can do in practice that can prepare you for the Oklahoma offense. You cannot simulate
1. tempo
2. versatility/balance
3.Sams ability to read your defense like a popup book

Our defense is the only defense in the country better at producing turnovers than yours. To top it off the straight up bloodthirsty.

birddog
12/17/2008, 08:17 PM
it's gonna be funny when the florida secondary drops off and cb and mossis rip off 7 yards a carry.

GG84
12/17/2008, 08:19 PM
Gators...There is nothing you can do in practice that can prepare you for the Oklahoma offense. You cannot simulate
1. tempo
2. versatility/balance

Our defense is the only defense in the country better at producing turnovers than yours. To top it off the straight up bloodthirsty.

Urban Meyer doesn't seem to share your opinion on the tempo...

“We’re already way into the up-tempo practice,” said Meyer. “Today that’s all we did. We’re up and running already getting ready for that. Oklahoma does a nice job. That’s a hard one to get ready for in two days but in three weeks we’ll be ready for it.”

I'll take his word over yours. :P

delhalew
12/17/2008, 08:25 PM
Lets see...we're practicing a form of offense because we have to and we have to quickly or we have mastered said offense and are owning everyones @ss with it.

Which sounds better to you?

Crucifax Autumn
12/17/2008, 08:30 PM
With all florida's speed it seems to me that every pass teblow throws is gonna be WAY behind his 300mph receivers. And can you imagine trying to turn around and hand the ball off to a guy that's 8 feet tall, 350 ponds and setting off sonic booms? Can't be done without potentially losing a hand.

soonerspudman
12/17/2008, 08:35 PM
I don't want to get into the speed argument, but if we're giving score predictions - UF 35 OU 24. Well under the scoring average for both teams. I think your defense is a good bit better than it gets credit for, but your offense isn't anywhere close to the "Greatest Show on Turf" Rams reincarnate that you think it is (although it is good).

You're close but transposed one number - OU 42, UF 35. Oklahoma will score minimum six TD's in this game.

soonerfire13
12/17/2008, 08:35 PM
I smell another airplane flyby! 45-35, don't forget us again!

Do you think that little crop duster will make it to Miami all the way from Texas?

delhalew
12/17/2008, 08:38 PM
it's gonna be funny when the florida secondary drops off and cb and mossis rip off 7 yards a carry.

Gators dont want to think about the fact that no matter what you practice its physically impossible to be everywhere they need to be.

I feel like they are looking at us as a typical finesse style spread. Not realizing that we slide in and out of pro, power I, the list goes on forever without substitutions.

Crucifax Autumn
12/17/2008, 08:41 PM
But they're so fast they are everywhere at once...and Tebow is God and God is everywhere. We're doomed!

catsigater
12/17/2008, 08:44 PM
Gators dont want to think about the fact that no matter what you practice its physically impossible to be everywhere they need to be.

I feel like they are looking at us as a typical finesse style spread. Not realizing that we slide in and out of pro, power I, the list goes on forever without substitutions.

'Cos UF's coaches are taking the month off and won't be looking at any game film. :rolleyes:

delhalew
12/17/2008, 08:45 PM
But they're so fast they are everywhere at once...and Tebow is God and God is everywhere. We're doomed!

Damn. I forgot about that. When we jump out to a lead early God may just smite Sam with a lightening bolt. He has to look out for his team.

delhalew
12/17/2008, 08:48 PM
'Cos UF's coaches are taking the month off and won't be looking at any game film. :rolleyes:

Not the coaching staff cats. I am referring to gator fans and they're perception of our offense.

SPuL
12/17/2008, 10:05 PM
tell me why this reminds me of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lk-wWUQKBg&feature=related

Crucifax Autumn
12/17/2008, 10:08 PM
doosh is as doosh does?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/17/2008, 10:46 PM
Urban Meyer doesn't seem to share your opinion on the tempo...I'll take his word over yours. :P

whoa whoa whoa

you guys get to use the "our team is prepping for your offense" line, but we don't? :confused:

Crucifax Autumn
12/17/2008, 11:11 PM
Of course not, OUr guys are playing chinese checkers and making soup.

TheGodfather889
12/17/2008, 11:14 PM
UF 41 - 30
Teams do it all the time including yours I assure you. In the 2004-2005 season Pete Carroll and his players admitted to the media that they used Larry Birdine's comments as bulletin board material to use against us, I'm pretty sure if they do it pretty much everyone else does too. This team needs as much motivation as it can get because I know they weren't very motivated to play in the last two National Championship games and came out flat. I want this team to be ready because I've never seen a Bob Stoops team lose when they come out motivated, fired up and when they truly do bring their A game. If Florida's offensive line gets beat by OU's defensive line, like in any game it's game over and OU will win their 8th National Title.

tulsaoilerfan
12/17/2008, 11:16 PM
Let them run their mouth all they want; sounds exactly like FSU

dingyibvs
12/18/2008, 12:20 AM
1. tempo
2. versatility/balance

1)Won't hurt us much. We go no-huddle on offense often enough that it'll be fairly easy for us to prepare. Also, like you, we get up on teams quickly into a game and play against up-tempo offenses quite often.

2)No team is more versatile/balanced than we are. How much more versatile can a QB get than Tebow? How much more versatile can a WR get than Harvin? 6+ ypc and 28/2 TD/INT ratio indicate that we're pretty efficient both running and passing the ball as well.

3)Not gonna help a bit because we don't do anything fancy on defense. Expect man defense on your receivers and pretty simple blitzing schemes. We're not gonna try to out-scheme anyone, we're gonna try to out-execute and out-athlete you.

EDIT:
As for the bulletin board material, both sides have plenty. I'm sure the "best offense ever" label that is being broadcasted everywhere in the media is plenty motivation for any defense. There's plenty of hype all over the place for both teams, it won't matter much. Sure, coaches always seek that extra little edge, but really, that's just what it is--an extra little edge--nothing big. You think Alabama liked being a 10 point 'dog as the undefeated and almost-unanimous #1 ranked team? Didn't even help them to cover the spread, did it?

sooner518
12/18/2008, 12:34 AM
1)Won't hurt us much. We go no-huddle on offense often enough that it'll be fairly easy for us to prepare. Also, like you, we get up on teams quickly into a game and play against up-tempo offenses quite often.

what team(s) in the SEC run a no-huddle basically all game?

JLEW1818
12/18/2008, 12:38 AM
True that

olevetonahill
12/18/2008, 12:44 AM

2)No team is more versatile/balanced than we are. How much more versatile can a QB get than Tebow? How much more versatile can a WR get than Harvin? 6+ ypc and 28/2 TD/INT ratio indicate that we're pretty efficient both running and passing the ball as well.

3)Not gonna help a bit because we don't do anything fancy on defense. Expect man defense on your receivers and pretty simple blitzing schemes. We're not gonna try to out-scheme anyone, we're gonna try to out-execute and out-athlete you.

EDIT:
As for the bulletin board material, both sides have plenty. I'm sure the "best offense ever" label that is being broadcasted everywhere in the media is plenty motivation for any defense. There's plenty of hype all over the place for both teams, it won't matter much. Sure, coaches always seek that extra little edge, but really, that's just what it is--an extra little edge--nothing big. You think Alabama liked being a 10 point 'dog as the undefeated and almost-unanimous #1 ranked team? Didn't even help them to cover the spread, did it?

I thunk it was OsU that has the Best Offense Ever :P

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/18/2008, 12:53 AM
We're not gonna try to out-scheme anyone, we're gonna try to out-execute and out-athlete you.

i don't even know what to say. i guess we are officially east popcorn state...

GottaHavePride
12/18/2008, 12:53 AM

Not like the Big XII offenses you don't. And your defense isn't ready to see it for a full 60 minutes, either.

So, you've got Tebow and one receiver? That's all? We've got, like, 11 guys playing defense out there. :rolleyes:

So the fact that your defense is even easier to predict somehow works in YOUR favor? Let me introduce you to Mr. Jermaine Gresham and the astonishing match-up problems he's about to cause your defense. Oh, too late. He's past your secondary already.

olevetonahill
12/18/2008, 01:02 AM
Are we gonna Keep Nic out to kinda make it even on em ?

SoonerBoognish
12/18/2008, 01:29 AM
The more things change... Speed rules (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/2000/bowls/news/2000/12/31/orange_speed/)

Crucifax Autumn
12/18/2008, 01:30 AM
Everytime I see the tread title I think "florida coroner".

So, I then picture something like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/ulijon/tebowstein.jpg

RedstickSooner
12/18/2008, 02:31 AM
Wait a minute...Florida plays with TWO cornerbacks?

Dude! I *know*! It sounds like just the thing for defending that new-fangled forward pass!

RedstickSooner
12/18/2008, 02:46 AM
Urban Meyer doesn't seem to share your opinion on the tempo...

I'll take his word over yours. :P

Yeah.

Because coaches are always saying, "Holy crap! We can't figure this **** out at all! We're boned! It's gonna be a bloodbath!"

You're a bright one.

Crucifax Autumn
12/18/2008, 03:04 AM
Well here's to urban...

sucking my....

SoonerBoognish
12/18/2008, 03:46 AM
“They haven’t played against us,” he said Tuesday. “Our team looks like they haven’t put 60 points up on us. Nobody puts 60 points up on us. So we feel like if we come out and play at the top of our ability, nobody should be able to score that many points.”

Ok, this is one of those reading comprehension tests. What he is saying is, if they play to the top of their ability, we won't score 60. So to me that means... Top of ability they'll give up <60, but if they start slow it'll be >60? That doesn't even sound confident, much less cocky.

Crucifax Autumn
12/18/2008, 03:56 AM
sounds stupid to me.

delhalew
12/18/2008, 08:44 AM
[QUOTE=dingyibvs;2532396]1)Won't hurt us much. We go no-huddle on offense often enough that it'll be fairly easy for us to prepare. Also, like you, we get up on teams quickly into a game and play against up-tempo offenses quite often.

This says it all for me. Gator fans are not realizing they are dealing with a different animal in this offense. Kevin Wilson has created something new and when its run properly no one has an answer for it.

Rather it is the culmination of work spread across years and different universities. Tweaked and twisted until it finally reached maturity at OU.

OU_Sooners75
12/18/2008, 09:17 AM
Robert Griffin, Jeremy Maclin, Dez Bryant, and some others have been track stars as well.

Let me tell you gator fans a secret.

Track speed is not football speed.

seaquesix
12/18/2008, 09:42 AM
Here's why:

"Tony forces the rabbit onto the dike." -- Did this part creep anybody else out? What do they do down there in the swamp?

wpfox16
12/18/2008, 09:47 AM
I don't see what the big deal is here... The reporter probably talked to Haden about your impressive streak of 5-straight 60 point games and asked him if Florida could stop it. How was he supposed to answer? What defensive player believes that his team is going to give up 60? The answer: nobody either team would want adorned with their school's colors.

wpfox16
12/18/2008, 09:50 AM
Robert Griffin, Jeremy Maclin, Dez Bryant, and some others have been track stars as well.

I think you missed the point of the ESPN article someone posted about Janoris Jenkins and "The Muck." That's not track speed, either. I honestly don't know what the hell it is, but chasing rabbits, who react with far greater agility than any human this side of Adrian Peterson, through the swamp is surely not track practice...

boomermagic
12/18/2008, 09:54 AM

I fail to see the validity of your comparison ? Florida'a offense is NOT as good as OU'S.. So, Try again...

Gator996
12/18/2008, 10:01 AM

Ya ever see anyone play faster than Harvin? :P

Griffin, Maclin (sp?), Bryant might be track stars but did any of them
make the US Olympic Finals in the 100m?

Demps did as a high school senior...
...and he's not the fastest guy on the team.

"We want to be the fastest team in America, fast teams win."

"This is why we spend so much time recruiting because you need playmakers. You need difference makers."

Urban Meyer, Head Coach Univ. of Fla.

The Maestro
12/18/2008, 10:10 AM
Can we get a YouTube clip of Rocky Balboa chasing the chicken with one arm behind his back?

And does anyone recall Renaldo Nehemiah trying to play for the 49ers?

GHOB SOONER
12/18/2008, 10:22 AM

UF 41 - 30

If you check I believe you find the halftime score in the TCU matchup was 28-3, we coasted the second half.

Widescreen
12/18/2008, 10:33 AM
1)Also, like you, we get up on teams quickly into a game and play against up-tempo offenses quite often.

This is laughable. If the teams you play are so up-tempo, why are those same teams' scoring averages so low? There are a lot of teams that can up-tempo 3-and-outs for 60 minutes.

SoonerAtKU
12/18/2008, 10:48 AM
There was only one team this year that OU could not have scored more points on. That would be Texas. You could make an argument that there were no more opportunities against OSU and Mizzou, but I think those could have gone into the 70's.

MojoRisen
12/18/2008, 11:11 AM
We could have easily scored 80 on Kstate, Mizzou, A&M, Nebraska, this year. We called the dogs off - big time.

UF can prepare for Tempo, but honesty I do not think they can prepare for the psychology of being scored on or giving up big gains regardless of how prepared they are for the tempo- they are not prepared for it psychologically because yeah they can keep up but once they are backpeddling that will not really matter - they will also be gassed big time..

I think it is damn near impossible to prepare for it mentally -but I gues you can run wind sprints for the next 3 weeks and line up and try and get a pass rush going.

primetime43
12/18/2008, 11:17 AM
Ya ever see anyone play faster than Harvin? :P

...and he's not the fastest guy on the team.

"We want to be the fastest team in America, fast teams win."

"This is why we spend so much time recruiting because you need playmakers. You need difference makers."

Urban Meyer, Head Coach Univ. of Fla.

Like I mentioned earlier what does this have to do with football? I might be a little worried if this was track and field but its not!

ADs_Agent
12/18/2008, 11:18 AM
We're Oklahoma, we spit fire, we drink blood, and we're coming.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/18/2008, 11:57 AM
I think it is damn near impossible to prepare for it mentally -but I gues you can run wind sprints for the next 3 weeks and line up and try and get a pass rush going.

if i were a betting man, i'd put my money on they are practicing 2 things.

1. switching their calls when we switch ours
2. pre-calling defenses

in other words, they are going to do all they can to slow the tempo down.

adoniijahsooner
12/18/2008, 12:23 PM
that db who is so sure of himself, needs to be concerned with the crisp routes that are receivers run. I guess he thinks we are going to run fly and go routes the entire game? Does Florida shoot a starter pistol for their snap count?

sooner2b09
12/18/2008, 12:34 PM
Is anyone else as excited as me to watch Gresham play in this game. I think he will have a huge day, he causes so many match up problems with his speed and size. Brandon Spikes is their tallest LB at 6'3. Their tallest safety is 6'0. I can't wait to see what the Coach Wilson does with him.

G8trGr8t
12/18/2008, 12:58 PM
I wouldn't say that planning on keeping your opponet under 60 is being cocky. Some might say that expecting to score 60 on the SEC champ is cocky.

Seems like CBS wants to give you some motivation too.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/expertpicks

AJ Green and Julio Jones run some pretty good routes too but that didn't help Alabama or Georgia too much. Gresham will probably be the biggest matchup problem but I expect to see a lot of Will Hill on him with safety help if he gets more than ten yards off the line.

Our corners are good whether you want to believe it or not but we can revisit that after the game, or maybe during the game if you do not mind visitors for in-game threads.

sooner2b09
12/18/2008, 01:11 PM
I wouldn't say that planning on keeping your opponet under 60 is being cocky. Some might say that expecting to score 60 on the SEC champ is cocky.

AJ Green and Julio Jones run some pretty good routes too but that didn't help Alabama or Georgia too much. Gresham will probably be the biggest matchup problem but I expect to see a lot of Will Hill on him with safety help if he gets more than ten yards off the line.

Our corners are good whether you want to believe it or not but we can revisit that after the game, or maybe during the game if you do not mind visitors for in-game threads.

But what other good wide receivers do Georgia and Alabama have? Thats about it. We have Broyles, Manny, Iggy, Gresham, and even Chaney can step up, and they can all run good routes.

birddog
12/18/2008, 01:14 PM

ok, 1 receiver for each of those teams. you do know who is out there for us at any given time? oh but they're going to run, but we can't sub!what do we do?

that's cool that you have 2 corners! and they're 6'6.

birddog
12/18/2008, 01:16 PM
But what other good wide receivers do Georgia and Alabama have? Thats about it. We have Broyles, Manny, Iggy, Gresham, and even Chaney can step up, and they can all run good routes.

they're secondary will get twisted around so much. it's going to be pretty comical.

CaliBornSoonerBred
12/18/2008, 01:19 PM
[QUOTE=Gator996;2532641]Ya ever see anyone play faster than Harvin? :P

...and he's not the fastest guy on the team.QUOTE].

Well, I think Crabtree is just as "fast" as Harvin and a HELL OF A LOT more physical. Dom and BJack took care of him just fine by being more physical. This "speed" at the skill positions argument if completely blown out of proportion. I'd argue the overal speed of the Big 12(Crabtree, Maclin, Dez, R Griffin, etc) matches up fairly similar to the SEC/FLA speed. You may want to remember a little fact here as well, Clayton was a Safety and has moved to linebacker, he hits like a lb but has the speed of a db so there's a mismatch possibility with these fla TE's. Gresham will obliterate whomever is unlucky enough to cover him with the tallest person out of the front 4 for Fla being 6'3". These speed argument is mute, because the Sooner O and D are not being given credit for the speed they do have.

8timechamps
12/18/2008, 01:24 PM
I always laugh at the "we have all the speed in (insert conference]". What a joke. There is no shortage of speed at and powerhouse FBS school. Now, if Florida was playing a Baylor or A&M, then there would be an argument.

The thought that Florida has more speed than us is laughable.

CaliBornSoonerBred
12/18/2008, 01:27 PM

Julio Jones' stats against florida, remember, he's Bama's only real threat.

5 Catches, 124 yards, AVG of 24.8 yards per catch.

While I do not deny the FLA corners do have talent, with only ONE viable receiving option torching the secondary for that..........what's going to happen when you have to worry about Juaq, Manny, Broyles, GRESHAM, and Chaney. This is not me being an OU homer but damn, what will you do against all of our weapons when a one man receiving corp rips off numbers like that. As I recall watching the game, JPW missed him on a few throws so the numbers could have been even better.

cheezyq
12/18/2008, 05:29 PM
UF has 3rd SOS...

I'm curious where you got that statistic. Everything I've seen has UF in the low teens, high 20s in SOS. Was that the SEC presser that released that stat? Or was that one of the 98% of statistics that are made up on the spot?

...and the UF defense has better athletes than TCU and much better corners than UT.

Ah, I love arguments based on conjecture. "We're better than you because we say we are. We're going to hold your run game with just 2 guys because we're totally awesomer than you. The best team we face is the one we play in practice. You can't simulate our speed because we have all the fastest players in the universe. If you dare question us, ask the one team we beat handily 2 years ago after they lost their best player to injury."

You were right on one thing, though....this IS going to be a LONG 2 weeks. Listening to all this stupidity has slowed my week down by at least 30%.

The Maestro
12/18/2008, 05:59 PM
Julio Jones' stats against florida, remember, he's Bama's only real threat.

5 Catches, 124 yards, AVG of 24.8 yards per catch.

While I do not deny the FLA corners do have talent, with only ONE viable receiving option torching the secondary for that..........what's going to happen when you have to worry about Juaq, Manny, Broyles, GRESHAM, and Chaney. This is not me being an OU homer but damn, what will you do against all of our weapons when a one man receiving corp rips off numbers like that. As I recall watching the game, JPW missed him on a few throws so the numbers could have been even better.

He said what I was gonna say.

TMcGee86
12/18/2008, 06:41 PM
Also, like you, we get up on teams quickly into a game and play against up-tempo offenses quite often

I pray the UF players are thinking this.

TMcGee86
12/18/2008, 06:42 PM
I always laugh at the "we have all the speed in (insert conference]". What a joke. There is no shortage of speed at and powerhouse FBS school. Now, if Florida was playing a Big 10 team, then there would be an argument.

The thought that Florida has more speed than us is laughable.

fixed

delhalew
12/18/2008, 06:45 PM
I pray the UF players are thinking this.

eggzactly.

snrfan65
12/19/2008, 12:09 AM
1)Won't hurt us much. We go no-huddle on As for the bulletin board material, both sides have plenty. I'm sure the "best offense ever" label that is being broadcasted everywhere in the media is plenty motivation for any defense. There's plenty of hype all over the place for both teams, it won't matter much. Sure, coaches always seek that extra little edge, but really, that's just what it is--an extra little edge--nothing big. You think Alabama liked being a 10 point 'dog as the undefeated and almost-unanimous #1 ranked team? Didn't even help them to cover the spread, did it?

Sorry, that's not what I'm hearing, at least not from ESPN. I'm hearing Meyer say they will be just fine, just hide and watch, Tebow talks about revenge and wanting to face a Big XII defense, ESPN arguing that OU doesn't belong on the same planet as Florida, UT is more deserving, etc.

Yes, we have heard 70 points a game, but it always, always comes with the "caveat" of "Big XII defenses" or "UT won the head to head" or "Tebow got the shaft".

You give me one quote by an OU player, which potentially provides bulletin board material. Just one. You can't.

Not saying UF isn't good. They are. But I AM saying, I like this OU team ALOT better when their back is against the wall, and they are disrespected or undersold. No question. UF is not being undersold. Hell, Saint Tebow is all I hear.

Will it make a difference? We shall see. Do I like the way it's playing out? Hell yes. I wish we would get this smack before EVERY game.

birddog
12/19/2008, 12:13 AM
Sorry, that's not what I'm hearing, at least not from ESPN. I'm hearing Meyer say they will be just fine, just hide and watch, Tebow talks about revenge and wanting to face a Big XII defense, ESPN arguing that OU doesn't belong on the same planet as Florida, UT is more deserving, etc.

Yes, we have heard 70 points a game, but it always, always comes with the "caveat" of "Big XII defenses" or "UT won the head to head" or "Tebow got the shaft".

You give me one quote by an OU player, which potentially provides bulletin board material. Just one. You can't.

Not saying UF isn't good. They are. But I AM saying, I like this OU team ALOT better when their back is against the wall, and they are disrespected or undersold. No question. UF is not being undersold. Hell, Saint Tebow is all I hear.

Will it make a difference? We shall see. Do I like the way it's playing out? Hell yes. I wish we would get this smack before EVERY game.

this blows away any first time post, EVAR!

catsigater
12/19/2008, 12:13 AM
I'm guessing the word's going out to the UF players to zip it up. Meyer's been known to issue gag orders before.

Crucifax Autumn
12/19/2008, 12:23 AM
Meyer's been known to use ball gags before.

Fixed

sooner2b09
12/19/2008, 12:59 AM

Dude welcome to the board, for srsly

adoniijahsooner
12/19/2008, 06:11 AM
I'm guessing the word's going out to the UF players to zip it up. Meyer's been known to issue gag orders before.

What is it that encourages people from Florida run their mouth continuously? I remember before Florida played Nebraska, a dumbass gator player was dancing like an idiot before media day, and the media just ate up, talking about how confident and loose the players are. Those guys were infected with the belief that they were superior based off what happened to Nebraska against FSU and Miami in previous seasons, and could not, or did not want to see that Tommy and Lawrence were some bad mofos. same attitude different time, and more than likely same outcome.

NawlensGator
12/19/2008, 09:07 AM
I read Haden's quotes and have to say if you can see bulliten board material in that, you have a wild imagination.

CaliBornSoonerBred
12/19/2008, 09:43 AM
I read Haden's quotes and have to say if you can see bulliten board material in that, you have a wild imagination.

Then I have a wild imagination! I'm the one who originally started this thread and if you can't see Haden's comments as basically stating all that the OU offense has done all year doesn't really matter because we haven't played florida, then you are blind sir. Comments like that are are slap in the face and not only shows his disrespect for what our offense can do but the blatent cocky, arrogant attitude of the florida team. Same can be said of tebow's comments about big 12 Ds. Confidence is fine but you keep your mouth shut when it comes to other teams the way Haden did.

The Maestro
12/19/2008, 10:26 AM

Spoken like a true gayter fan, not an OU player or coach.

stoopified
12/19/2008, 10:47 AM
iF LAME A$$ OLE MISS CAN SCORE 31 ON uf IN gAINSVILLE I SHUDDER TO THINK HOW BAD OU WILL LIGHT UP THE GATOR D.

catsigater
12/19/2008, 11:06 AM
What is it that encourages people from Florida run their mouth continuously? I remember before Florida played Nebraska, a dumbass gator player was dancing like an idiot before media day, and the media just ate up, talking about how confident and loose the players are. Those guys were infected with the belief that they were superior based off what happened to Nebraska against FSU and Miami in previous seasons, and could not, or did not want to see that Tommy and Lawrence were some bad mofos. same attitude different time, and more than likely same outcome.

I got nothing. Bringing up that game's just not cricket, old sport.

The one thing I'll say is that for most of the season, and despite the way we've dominated teams since the Mississippi game (really since the last half of the Arkansas game), there's been a constant drumbeat of opposing teams telling us we're not all that, and for the most part we've been content to let them do the jawin', and prove it on the field.

What you've heard from the Gators has been mild, compared to what we've heard from other teams this year (and last): players saying they were going to "punch us in the mouth" and watch us wilt; players saying they'd shut down Tebow, or that they had some all-world defensive lineman who was going to suck the oxygen right out of our running attack, etc, etc.

If our players were inveterate smack-talkers, they would've done it before the GA game, and they were pretty tight-lipped, even when facing the revenge game of the decade for UF.

Really, what have the bulletin board moments been from the Gators?

A player saying OU hasn't faced a defense like ours. Well, they haven't.

Tebow saying he'd like to play against Big 12 Defenses. I'll give you that was a bit boisterous, but it was pretty mild, really.

Urban being upset that Tebow was left off some ballots. Was that his "Gundy" moment, really?

Tebow saying he'd use the Heisman loss as motivation. Ooooh.

Yeah, I might wish they'd kept that amongst themselves, but compared to what we've heard the last 3 years, beginning with our predicted shellacking at the hands of Ohio State, it's been pretty tame, by all objective standards.

And if you're going to go back 13 years and say that's a pattern, give it a rest.

But I realize this is all about gaining an edge, and if I'm an OU fan or coach, sure that's going to go up on the board. Don't know how much effect it's going to have, but both teams will need every advantage they can find or manufacture, that's for sure.

Knippz
12/19/2008, 11:14 AM
Yes, we have actually played a D that's better than yours. TCU.

Meanwhile, have you played an O like ours?

catsigater
12/19/2008, 11:29 AM
Yes, we have actually played a D that's better than yours. TCU.

Sorry, but TCU's SOS belies their lofty D ranking. They were 2 and 2 against the four teams they played with winning records.

Meanwhile, have you played an O like ours?

Nothing even close.

Knippz
12/19/2008, 11:32 AM
Sorry, but TCU's SOS belies their lofty D ranking. They were 2 and 2 against the four teams they played with winning records.

Nothing even close.

So you're saying they played as bad of offenses as Florida did all year? NO WAY!

instigator
12/19/2008, 11:33 AM
if i were a betting man, i'd put my money on they are practicing 2 things.

1. switching their calls when we switch ours
2. pre-calling defenses

in other words, they are going to do all they can to slow the tempo down.

Isn't that what OSU did all night long?

The Maestro
12/19/2008, 11:56 AM
I'll be the OU fan who says it. TCU's defense does not equal Florida's defense. Just can't. Stats against the teams they played are not that impressive to me. They sold out on us to hit Sam and stop the run. Some success, but Sam still racked up 411 on them.

Florida is a better defense. But yes, even Florida fans admit they have not seen an offense like ours. It is what a championship game is supposed to be.

A-M
12/19/2008, 12:11 PM
I don't think any OU fan thinks we will score 60pts. Rather, we are noticing a lack of respect from the national media regarding the Big 12 defenses. Personally, I like the fact that all the bulletin board material, trash talk, and negativity is coming from the Gators and the media. For once, we are underdogs and will hopefully use that as motivation.

OU 42 UF 41

Hi Funky G, meet A-M. Now you know 1 OU fan who thinks we will score 60 points on FU.

adoniijahsooner
12/19/2008, 12:21 PM
Isn't that what OSU did all night long?

Yeah, and we barely scored 60 on them. What's more, is that they held texas to 27 in austin, and we did that in stillwater.

catsigater
12/19/2008, 12:22 PM
I'll be the OU fan who says it. TCU's defense does not equal Florida's defense. Just can't. Stats against the teams they played are not that impressive to me. They sold out on us to hit Sam and stop the run. Some success, but Sam still racked up 411 on them.

Florida is a better defense. But yes, even Florida fans admit they have not seen an offense like ours. It is what a championship game is supposed to be.

Didn't TCU also have 4 fumbles? I don't know if those led to scores, but anyone who fumbles 4 times against OU is done for. If UF can't get penetration with the front 4, they're in trouble.

I don't think UF has to stop the run completely, but they'll have to play the defensive game of their lives, not get into second and short situations and keep the receivers in front of them. It's a daunting task, but we have the talent to do it, and a superb defensive coordinator, who I've no doubt will be a head coach soon.

Assignment defense, players making plays, win on turnovers and special teams. Basically, play a near flawless game, forget mistakes quickly, and hope it's enough.

CaliBornSoonerBred
12/19/2008, 12:25 PM

Maesto, I will totally agree with you that Florida's D is better than TCU's overall. But I think the one area that TCU is better is in the front 4. I think the scheme will be about the same for Florida with bringing pressure. I've said all along that we will not win this game by running the ball all day(no pun intended) but with Sam making good reads on where the blitzes are coming from. Neither team has seen the caliber of O and D in this regard. IF their front 4 can not get pressure without blitzing, Sam will put up great numbers again and we will score quite a bit. I think we have seen a better front 4 and that's usually the key for any D. No disrespect to the Florida D because I think they are better overall in the coaching regard and with better athletes.
Forget the kicking game, forget all the other garbage, the key to this game will be turnovers and who capitalizes on them.

adoniijahsooner
12/19/2008, 12:25 PM
I got nothing. Bringing up that game's just not cricket, old sport.

The one thing I'll say is that for most of the season, and despite the way we've dominated teams since the Mississippi game (really since the last half of the Arkansas game), there's been a constant drumbeat of opposing teams telling us we're not all that, and for the most part we've been content to let them do the jawin', and prove it on the field.

What you've heard from the Gators has been mild, compared to what we've heard from other teams this year (and last): players saying they were going to "punch us in the mouth" and watch us wilt; players saying they'd shut down Tebow, or that they had some all-world defensive lineman who was going to suck the oxygen right out of our running attack, etc, etc.

If our players were inveterate smack-talkers, they would've done it before the GA game, and they were pretty tight-lipped, even when facing the revenge game of the decade for UF.

Really, what have the bulletin board moments been from the Gators?

A player saying OU hasn't faced a defense like ours. Well, they haven't.

Tebow saying he'd like to play against Big 12 Defenses. I'll give you that was a bit boisterous, but it was pretty mild, really.

Urban being upset that Tebow was left off some ballots. Was that his "Gundy" moment, really?

Tebow saying he'd use the Heisman loss as motivation. Ooooh.

Yeah, I might wish they'd kept that amongst themselves, but compared to what we've heard the last 3 years, beginning with our predicted shellacking at the hands of Ohio State, it's been pretty tame, by all objective standards.

And if you're going to go back 13 years and say that's a pattern, give it a rest.

But I realize this is all about gaining an edge, and if I'm an OU fan or coach, sure that's going to go up on the board. Don't know how much effect it's going to have, but both teams will need every advantage they can find or manufacture, that's for sure.

Not just your team; but Florida teams as a whole. Heck, I'm watching 1st take on espn and their about to run a story on Florida's trash talk. We played Miami last year and they were talking.

catsigater
12/19/2008, 01:13 PM
Not just your team; but Florida teams as a whole. Heck, I'm watching 1st take on espn and their about to run a story on Florida's trash talk. We played Miami last year and they were talking.

I get what you're saying, and there's no doubt UF's done some talking in the past, but I also think it's been Miami who's been the big transgressor through the years. Problem is Miami can talk smack at a 4 or 5 to 1 ratio, but if a UF player says one thing, it gets filed under the "Florida Players Talking Smack" file.

Like I said, what's been called player smack this past month is mild.

But I'll also admit that's not something you associate with players in the Midwest. Except maybe Bosworth.

gatorsownu2
12/19/2008, 01:58 PM
Let me get this straight. What Haden said is bulletin board material and is going to be used to fire your team up? You've got to be kidding right?;)
This is hilarious. I,m dying over here laughing at this thread, seriously right?
STOP reading this thread and check this thread out .http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20081218/NEWS/812180927/1090?Title=Streaking_to_a_BCS_collision
Check out the stats in this article. OU is averaging 10 more points per game but giving up 16 more per game.

CaliBornSoonerBred
12/19/2008, 02:33 PM
Let me get this straight. What Haden said is bulletin board material and is going to be used to fire your team up? You've got to be kidding right?;)
This is hilarious. I,m dying over here laughing at this thread, seriously right?
STOP reading this thread and check this thread out .http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20081218/NEWS/812180927/1090?Title=Streaking_to_a_BCS_collision
Check out the stats in this article. OU is averaging 10 more points per game but giving up 16 more per game.

Come on nOOb, this ppg argument has already been had! Then we all argued about the Big 12 offenses compared to the SEC offensed and likewise with the defenses. And go back and read earlier posts about the Haden comments, that'll answer your questions there.

I feel like we are all repeating ourselves in these threads because people aren't reading the previous pages. Get with it nOObs! :D

budbarrybob
12/19/2008, 03:23 PM
Florida:

All your base are belong to us.

SoonR4Life
12/19/2008, 03:49 PM
Florida:

All your base are belong to us.

I LOLed.

Classic...

cheezyq
12/19/2008, 04:14 PM

I COULD agree with this, but I won't for the fact that TCU held Utah and BYU WELL under their offensive averages (13 and 7, I believe). So, even TCU faced better offensive teams than Florida. I WILL say that UF might (MIGHT) have the better athletes, but if that's the case, they likely are not coached as well as the players at TCU. But seriously, how can you possibly make that distinction anyway, since judging talent and coaching is based merely on perspective when the two teams haven't ever met? You can't...the only way to judge the two is to compare similar scenarios/statistics, and in that case TCU grades out better on defense than UF.

Besides that, TCU might be in the Mountain West, but they are a dang good team...and remember, the Mountain West owned the Pac-10....

Ok, so that last part was pretty funny, but you get the idea.

bearfan08
12/19/2008, 04:56 PM
How about the fact that Florida will actually be playing a competent QB. One thing that strikes me about Bradford is he can throw the ball anywhere on the field and fit it into almost any spot. For example a reciever is running a fly with the defender right behind him on his heels and Bradford throws a rainbow pass that looks like it dropped out of an airplane straight into the arms of the reciever and the defender can't do anything about it. Watching the SEC this year I have not seen one QB who can be accurate with the ball period. Even Florida's beloved Tebow's balls look like a freaking duck half of the time. The difference in the top level Big 12 QBs is they can hit recievers that are covered. If a DB is within 5-8ft of a WR in the SEC with the sucky SEC QBs then they are considered covered because the QBs are not accurate enough to put the ball in the right spot. the cover guys will literally need to be sniffing OU's players jocks for them to be covered or Bradford is going to make florida look just stupid. The one decent QB (and I don't count stafford because I think he is way overrated) that Florida faced was Snead who would be the somewhere between the 8-10th ranked QB in the big 12. He did quite well, so look for bad things to happen when a real QB gets to go against that D.

MojoRisen
12/19/2008, 06:18 PM
Jessica Parker Wilson even had a good game doing play action and rolling out, I think Florida was way over reacting to that stuff and I will let all gators know that our TE and other backs that we can roll out are a little more dangerous than the TE that was getting the ball for Bama.

OU is going to move the ball and we will put up some points in this game. No-one does play action or roll outs in my opinion better than bradford does.

Florida will have their hands full -

NawlensGator
12/20/2008, 10:10 AM
One common foe comparison I can think of is '03 MNCG. LSU beat Okie, and UF beat LSU.

In general, SEC QB's don't 7 seconds to wait for a reciever to get open. Looks like Bradford has loads of time to throw when I have watched your games. Your OL may be just that good though.

I Am Right
12/20/2008, 11:46 AM
don't worry we have scholarship players also.